homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Men and women? Merely different plumbing? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Men and women? Merely different plumbing?
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have also trawled through this and the other thread and I still can't see why in the 21st Century that people seriously argue that I can't do such and such because I'm a girl.

No one has yet managed to refute the arguement that male and female He created them. Both with the divine spark. Both with the image of God within them. Both reflecting the glory of God. Not better than but equal to.

I think this is the other great circular argument.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thing has struck me - in Tradition, the Holy Apostle Peter declared the whole church (presumably all of it, women and men) to be a royal priesthood.

Now, bearing in mind IanB's quite helpful piece on the different word used here (hier..something or other as opposed to presbyteros), let us consider the requirement of "congruence" in this context.

Presumably there is congruence of the whole church with Jesus Christ in order to be able to image him to the world, and equally congurence with the rest of humanity (and creation itself - humanity being priest of creation too according to Orthodox thought...and, of course, creation is female! ) as well. Otherwise, by Gregory's reasoning of required ontological congruence, it could not "priest" Jesus. With what, in Jesus, is the corporate Church congruent? Is it his maleness?

And if the whole cannot be a priesthood due to lack of congruence in maleness, why would the Holy Apostle use such a word?

This juxtaposing of male and female language as appropriate/inappropriate for describing "God" is a red herring. There is no must about its use. As has already been pointed out, that part of Holy Tradition written in the Old Testament contains descriptions of God in feminine terms (and sometimes non-human terms - rocks, lions, chickens) so to read back into these Classical categories (from that oh-so woman friendly society) is both anachronistice and does violence to the testimony of the people of God.

[UBB fixed]

[ 25 July 2001: Message edited by: Karl ]

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl, you're an angel and I want to have your babies.

Dyfrig, King of the Crap Code

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dyfrig:
Karl, you're an angel and I want to have your babies.

I will refrain from asking about the mechanics of this.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
........ which is one of my points. Of course, if it's just plumbing! ...

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He'd have to join the queue....

One's things for certain. It'd been in vitro.....

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Gill

Speaking of function, how come in your church married men can be priests but not Bishops?

Is this a matter of function, modelling or yet more dubious theology?

GH: Because bishops have too much on their plate and need to take a step back from the world. Celibacy and marriage are BOTH gifts to ministry.

How do married guys feel about it?

GH: Just fine thank you. Speaking as an ex-Anglican I was always suspicious of people who wanted to become bishops.

Oh, and one more thing...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, the mystical symbolism has to do with God-language. It's NOT that God is male, it's that male language is better suited to the description of creation in montheistic theology (ie., Judaism, Christianity, Islam).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh for GOODNESS' sake! What utter crap! What the HELL is 'male language'???

GH: Our Father who art in heaven .....

I think we just have to agree to disagree. Some of us here feel that gender is incidental to being human ... some feel that it is essential to being human. For those who posit difference having male and female priests is essential because otherwise God and humans are not being properly represented, imaged or talked about / acted upon. Others feel that such differences do not compromise equality if certain functions or modes of being are reserved to either sex. Often we ALL (me included) use symbolic language to bolster an a priori position which has either sociological or personal references, or both. I don't see this one being solved through discourse. Let Gamaliel have the last word. I'm off this (and the other) thread now. Thanks.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As this discussion has converged with the discussion going on another thread, I am closing it. To continue, please see "priestly genitalia."
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016