homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: GeoGuesser Tournament (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: GeoGuesser Tournament
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(sigh)

Do any of y'all get homesick when playing? Sometimes I'll go, "Hot damn! I think I landed in Petaluma! Oh no, darn, it's Arberdeen..."

Oh, here's the link

[ 06. July 2013, 22:28: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kelly Alves: Do any of y'all get homesick when playing?
Plenty of Brazil to go around [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
(sigh)

Do any of y'all get homesick when playing? Sometimes I'll go, "Hot damn! I think I landed in Petaluma! Oh no, darn, it's Arberdeen..."

Oh, here's the link

You horrible, horrible person. I clicked the link. On my phone. And it worked. I did NOT need to know this.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooch. Sorry. Least we'll know where to find you when you've gone missing for three months.

(That would be Brazil. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone sent to a repeat location? I was dropped into the courtyard of a Christian, likely RCC, church in Japan for the second time. Did not help much as I did not remember where in Japan it was. I guessed far north so, of course, it was in the far south.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I was sent to the same Slavic bridge twice, and in my clever rehashing of what I'd figured out the first time, made the same wrong guess a second time.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

We should have kept marching after Berlin and drove the Russians into the Atlantic! Bad enough they have their own language, but also the effrontery to use their own alphabet as well. Bastards!
Was on the way to an excellent score and wound up in a Russian town. The only clues were a statue of Lenin and loads of bloody Cyrillic!
Did find the coolest hotel in the Yucatan, though.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. I have gotten repeats of places just a few miles beyond the ass end of nowhere. The game clearly refuses to understand that all places that go on for miles without a sign are in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Clearly a butt headed game.

Still, it is way cool to guess within a few meters of whatever.

Think about it. Just a few years back there was no way this game could exist.

Of course, the downside is that I now pause at each intersection as I drive my car to read the street signs . . . just in case.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
We should have kept marching after Berlin and drove the Russians into the Atlantic! Bad enough they have their own language, but also the effrontery to use their own alphabet as well. Bastards!
Was on the way to an excellent score and wound up in a Russian town. The only clues were a statue of Lenin and loads of bloody Cyrillic!
Did find the coolest hotel in the Yucatan, though.

And you can't read Russian/Ukranian/etc? [Disappointed]
My three semesters of Russian in high school have bailed me out more times than I can count in this game—if you just know the alphabet and nothing more, you can read town names/web addresses/business names, which is the really helpful stuff anyway.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(cough)

Helped me out enough to sound out a town name and its local museum...

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

That is helpful. Biggest thing is getting to a sign that useful. With the romance languages, German and a couple others, I have an idea what is a potential location clue and what is not. With Cyrillic, unless it is the title on a significant building or an entry sign, I am lost. As would anyone who is not Russian or communist.

Today I wound up at a mountain home with only the ability to spin in circles. No signs, no vehicles, only fairly generic tyre imprints in the melting snow. Got the latitude to within a degree, was a small distance off in longitude, though. (7,000 km is only a little, yeah?)

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I managed over 23,000 today - my best score yet by a long way. Was very relieved that I didn't mistake a place in the Western Isles for Orkney. [Big Grin]

LilBuddha's right - if you can get a legible sign, and make an intelligent guess as to the language it's in, you're laughing. I got a place in Finland within a few kms (with a bit of help from Google).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've started going with my first hunch. Yes, I'm often wrong, but also often on the right continent. If I have no clue, I throw the dart at Brazil. All you who Google and do research, I feel sorry for you. [Razz]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At first I thought it was cheating to do research. Now I think it is part of the fun.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] I drove behind the Googlemobile today!

So, sometime soon, I hope, if you are searching Northbound CA 280 around the Trousdale exit near Burlingame, you will see a little grey Neon with a very exited looking chick at the wheel.

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

In case we do, what is the exact location again?
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Map 'Burlingame, Ca" find CA HWY 280, and locate the the Trousdale Drive exit. And poke around, I dunno. At this stage, I couldn't find me (or the two red hot rods tailgating Googlemobile. Attention whores [Big Grin] )

As to repeat hits-- I just got plonked right back on Homer Spit Road in Homer, Alaska, about two store fronts dwon from where I landed last week.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
14236 this morning, following my hunches. I was in the ballpark on 4/5, which I was overjoyed with. But my score took a big hit from a Yukon/Norway mix up. Pine trees,mountains, very tidy & clean, and a lovely lake--- who knows??

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] I drove behind the Googlemobile today ...

We saw one in St. John's the other day, just a few roads along from our house.

I suppose they must have more than one ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

? Of course they do. They have squadrons.

I live about 45 minutes away from Google HQ, so we see a lot of them about. But now it means so much more. [Axe murder]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Squadrons? Ye've burst my bubble, Kelly. I'd thought it was a single, very dedicated, driver.
Cool for you to be in the camera view!

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A curse on all your houses I love fooling around with this game but it's a massive time drain.

Annoying that Australia has so many endless stretches of unsigned roads that all look the friggin' same. Unless you see a sign you have no hope of working out if it's outback NSW, Qld or WA and they're 3000kms apart. Even with signage it can be difficult. I landed on a servo that immediately recognisable as Australian, the beer ads really gave it away. Sign said "Nullabor roadhouse" hmmm now which bit of the 2000km road across the Nullabor to choose...

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so trying this when I have a desktop computer again...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Why wait? It works on mobiles, too.

join us, orfeo, join us

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

I have been 3 meters (.003 km) off twice now. Of course, every time I get that close at least one scene is in the middle of nowhere.
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With heavy googling and exploring hit 23K (though I'm pretty sure I've come close guessing)

1st was a dullish road but then had a few road signs and a advert for an industrial site. So got very close (I blame the different zoom for the 100m difference)

2nd was another dullish roadbut then had a sign for a Lake something or other but couldn't find how far down the road I was (7k).

3rd another dull track but this time with a sign that seemed to say Lemora but clearly Oklahomians like signs to point 400Miles away (or I was luckier than I deserved).

4th in a middle of a city/townlet with road sign for major roads. Couldn't find the venues listed but guess was close enough.

5th another barren track but this time in low res so the one sign I saw (other than the kangeroo which at least meant I was on the right continent) was too blury.

5th

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why wait? It works on mobiles, too.

join us, orfeo, join us

Oh technically it works. Practically though, you try plonking your marker with any precision AND switching windows to google AND just manipulating the damn photo.

My brief trial run did start with an Australian photo, which was nice. Will definitely have an advantage for THAT part of the world. Likely to be offset by not always bring able to tell one northern hemisphere continent from another.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
orfeo: Practically though, you try plonking your marker with any precision AND switching windows to google AND just manipulating the damn photo.
This sounds like one would need to have a cigarette afterwards [Razz]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

orfeo

# 13878

Heh. There is in fact a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode that makes a joke out of 'googling' sounding a bit vulgar (a character is shocked at the prospect of googling an underage girl). Apparently it was the first use of google as a verb on American television.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
orfeo: Heh. There is in fact a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode that makes a joke out of 'googling' sounding a bit vulgar (a character is shocked at the prospect of googling an underage girl).
To be honest, I sometimes have the feeling that googling a girl is a bit vulgar, even in the true meaning of the word.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

My brief trial run did start with an Australian photo, which was nice. Will definitely have an advantage for THAT part of the world. Likely to be offset by not always bring able to tell one northern hemisphere continent from another.

Oh, you'd think. But unless you spend loads of time on desolate, nearly sign-less, middle-of-nowhere roads, you may find this less of an advantage than you suppose.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Why the hell to they send the Googlemobiles out in the middle of Midwestern thunderstorms? It's not like they are going to get any useful streetview shots anyway...

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

Oh, you'd think. But unless you spend loads of time on desolate, nearly sign-less, middle-of-nowhere roads, you may find this less of an advantage than you suppose.
It got me within a few hundred kilometres without any further thinking. Soil colour, types of trees... It wasn't just Australia, it was probably south eastern Australia somewhat inland.

Turns out inland Victoria and inland mid New South Wales look similar, but that's not a surprising discovery. I would have been miffed if it turned out to be Western Australia or Queenskand though.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Not surprisingly, There is an xkcd for this.
Love the rollover text.
quote:
Meanwhile, I'm rapidly becoming a connoisseur of unmarked dirt roads over flat, barren landscapes.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Breathtaken. I just got back from the Kul Sharif Mosque in Kazan. Hung out there a while even after I made my hit.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Been there as well, quite lovely.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Breathtaken. I just got back from the Kul Sharif Mosque in Kazan. Hung out there a while even after I made my hit.

Read this while reading a few heaven threads, so I didn't realize where I was. Out of context this is a very odd statement. Was trying to figure out what meaning of hit you were using and why you were sharing it until I figured out I was reading the geoguesser thread!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

She doesn't carry the axe for nothing.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I veered from sublime to ridiculous today; the first two had legible signs, and I got to within half a kilometre for each. Then I got about 750 km from a place in Russia (there was a poster with a backwards "R" in it so I stuck a pin in the map ...) and the other two I was thousands of miles out - they were both in Central America and I wasn't (I put Majorca for one and South Africa for the other).

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Has anyone else noticed that the Street View used in the game is not always the same version used in the current Street View? I was outside a museum in Acapulco, Mexico and noticed a cruise ship in the current that was not there in the game. I had thought the blurring was on the fly, but Wallén may be using an offline version.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

...Ok, am in mid-hunt, but just wanted to pause to express the opinion that the guy I am standing next to is Billy Joe McAllister, and disappointment that I can't tell what he seems to be throwing off this bridge in GodKnows, DeepSouth, USA.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Kelly Alves: ...Ok, am in mid-hunt, but just wanted to pause to express the opinion that the guy I am standing next to is Billy Joe McAllister, and disappointment that I can't tell what he seems to be throwing off this bridge in GodKnows, DeepSouth, USA.
I guess it's the Tallahatchie Bridge?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

It was somewhere in some Louisiana bayou. He gets around, I guess.

Googlemobile kept passing small groups of tailgate-partying youngsters gathered on the muddy banks of Whatever River, swigging Pabst and squinting at the car.

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

That could be north Georgia.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Could be a lot of places. I guessed around Jackson, MI.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Eek!] I feel faint.

This has got to be the catch to end all catches. In game, I found a road near a dock in Alaska, and in poking around found myself aimed at another Googlemobile. In poking around on Maps to get the location, I found myself in the second Googlemobile coming at the first Googlemobile.

I AM NOT MAKING THAT UP!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Data: If you met a double of yourself, would you have difficulty interacting with him?
Worf: I think so.
Data: Why?
Worf: I am not easy to get along with.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Whoa, dude! Right in front of the STF!

(for non-Brazilians, this place. )

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Kelly Alves: Whoa, dude! Right in front of the STF!
LOL, I guess you're one of the few people on earth who would be happy to suddenly find themselves in the Supreme Court.

I have already landed in front of the Parliament/Senate building in Brasília. To preserve the balance between the Three Powers, someone should now land in front of the President's office.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The architecture in that area is amazing!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016