homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: GeoGuesser Tournament (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: GeoGuesser Tournament
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kelly Alves: The architecture in that area is amazing!
Definitely. While you're there, I hope that once you'll get dropped in front of the Cathedral of Brasília too.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually did wander around a bit. It was fascinating.

GeoGuessr!

Russian for Everyone!

[ 22. July 2013, 22:57: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I go to Brasília relatively often. I'll be in this exact place again about 6 weeks from now.

I like going to Brasília, but there is one thing: I usually have nose-bleeds and cracked lips when I'm there for a couple of days. This is because Brasília is in a relatively dry area, and my body is now completely accostumed to the extreme humidity of the Amazon forest (sometimes we say to eachother that we're literally breathing water here).

I hope that you'll all take this into account when you're jumping around the globe like this [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(applies lip balm.)

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
13,105 may not excite most of you, but I'm astonished. Usually I have long lines criss-crossing the oceans and continents.

Pearlie--giving thanks at the Guessometer Shrine

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was finally able to locate everything. 32,389 with the best one being 1 meter off.

Now, I can quit playing forever.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my scores seem to be getting lower and lower - I need more dusty roads in Queensland and less pretty resorts I spend a long time wandering around!
Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just landed a guess at 0.011 km from the actual location!

I trust (not having kept up with the discussions here) that I'm not the only one who does a little research... In this case, I wandered till I saw an unusual street name and googled it with its cross-street. So some of you might consider that cheating. To me, it's the whole fun of the game.

Here's something odd, though:

A few times (including today), it lands me somewhere I can't imagine the Google cars could have possibly gotten. In this case, it was on a walkway that lead from one person's front door to another person's front door, with another walkway leading off in some direction... There was no way I could travel on any of the paths. I had to just make a stab, which of course was way off (I guessed somewhere in SE Asia, and it was in Central America). But how did they even get that image?!? All I could do was turn around in circles, too.

Pretty obscure, when I happen to know that Google Maps hasn't been down the street I grew up on in SE Michigan (just an hour outside of Detroit)!

ETA: This game is a nice way to while away the time as I'm recovering from some minor surgery.

[ 02. August 2013, 01:37: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
0.0004 km off in Whittier, AK! (On Billings St. near Eastern Ave.) What beautiful scenery!

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was one time I found myself in a gated parking lot at the end of a back alley, with nowhere else to go, somewhere in what I guessed (correctly) was eastern Europe. Seriously, how do you get into a back alley paid parking lot like that one other than intending to get there?

There's also the time I found myself on a mountaintop and just figured someone from Google climbed a mountain carrying a camera, since there weren't any roads going there.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariston: There was one time I found myself in a gated parking lot at the end of a back alley, with nowhere else to go, somewhere in what I guessed (correctly) was eastern Europe. Seriously, how do you get into a back alley paid parking lot like that one other than intending to get there?
Sounds like a good beginning for a spy novel. Now I'm waiting for the beautiful Russian blonde keeping you at gunpoint [Biased]

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Ariston: There was one time I found myself in a gated parking lot at the end of a back alley, with nowhere else to go, somewhere in what I guessed (correctly) was eastern Europe. Seriously, how do you get into a back alley paid parking lot like that one other than intending to get there?
Sounds like a good beginning for a spy novel. Now I'm waiting for the beautiful Russian blonde keeping you at gunpoint [Biased]
Yes! [Killing me]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

To above: Ha! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:

ETA: This game is a nice way to while away the time as I'm recovering from some minor surgery.

Muahhahaha. You say that now. You think Cracked is addictive? Wait until it's 4:30 in the morning and you are red eyed and muttering, "I know it's the Ukraine, I just know it is..."

I had to make myself. Make myself. stop playing these last two weeks because I could not resist the restart, and was neglecting my essays.

[ 02. August 2013, 03:25: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just wait until you start muttering "I've seen that tree before . . ." to yourself.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I've been doing quick rounds lately, where I guess mostly based on terrain and if I get a total about 6000, I am happy.

lately I have been getting send to Israel. Quite thrilling!

--------------------

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About 30 frames west of my first location in this game I saw a single-car accident in progress- a little red car had crossed over to the wrong side of the road and was jumping over the concrete barriers onto the shoulder. Yikes!

It was lucky it went off that side of the road though- it was a mountainy place in Brazil and the other side was a pretty steep drop.

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

WHOA! (after tracking it down.)

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

What I am waiting for is all the traffic heading towards the fighting duo and the wreckage.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Shaken)

Ok, I took the challenge round, and wound up in a small, secluded parking lot behind a bunch of apartments, no way out, being menaced by two-- I believe the word is "yobs"?

Picked somewhere in Russia just to get the hell out of there. I was close, it was Georgia.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:
About 30 frames west of my first location in this game I saw a single-car accident in progress- a little red car had crossed over to the wrong side of the road and was jumping over the concrete barriers onto the shoulder. Yikes!

The red car is stationary and wedged on the concrete barrier. A little further down the road, you can see the driver and passenger placing a warning triangle.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

There's a stray bumper bouncing along in the road further on,too.

To be fair, I thought it was in progress, too, the back wheel was hanging in midair.

[ 04. August 2013, 05:18: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, so...

I just did my first game back home on the computer.

I think 31,967 points is rather good, yes?

4/5 guesses within a kilometre. [Big Grin]

http://url.geoguessr.com/3Vns

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

DAMN good!

And welcome home!

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks.

There were roadsigns for the first 4. The first one even had an intersection with TWO roadsigns. But I still had to guess the correct side of a West Australian town that was 5km away. Forest reserve side = win!

I'm happiest though with the last one, which turns out to be that mosque in Kazan a couple of other people have visited. First discovery: mosque. Second discovery: football stadium over the walls and a pyramid shaped building. Football stadium has Cyrillic. Hmmm...

Start googling muslim and Cyrillic. All those -Stan countries. Looking for pretty mosques and pyramids. Find a pyramid in Astana but it ain't the right one. Maybe they just like pyramids in Astana??

And then head the other way and... bloody hell, those are CROSSES. I've got a church and a mosque basically in the same complex.

...Russia? RUSSIAN mosque?

And google images immediately offered me a picture that had me yelling at the screen.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

You made me go back there, via Google images. It's so beautiful.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Three Australias in a row? Very discouraging.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That's messed up. You obviously got a couple of orfeo's turns.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

How do I type Cyrillic into Google Maps? I mean, I can work out that I'm on the corner of Soviet Avenue and Proletariat Street but I can't bloody find them... [Waterworks]

EDIT: OMG YES!! http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/russian.htm

[ 10. August 2013, 04:31: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Here ya go.

I forgot to add that to my "Russia for everyone" package. Locate character, type in character, copy-paste.

Well, FINE, then. Tits on a bull, that's me.

Ooo, yours is more shiny. [Cool]

[ 10. August 2013, 04:34: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Okay, so was that worth about 50 minutes of my life?...Finding the exact intersection in a small Russian town?

[Big Grin]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

And now, I think I *could* be in my own country. But it's fundamentally unfair to have some kind of sign but have it unreadable because the sun is reflecting off it in the photo. Outrageous!

Edit: Not my own country. Still annoyed that the best clue available - a name, quite possibly a road name - isn't properly visible. Also the property for sale sign is totally illegible.

[ 10. August 2013, 05:03: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

25,630 after all that effort. My worst guess was in my own country. It's a country road somewhere along the eastern coastal section, how the blazes am I supposed to work out it's Victoria rather than New South Wales?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

And then 29,875.

*pulling computer power cord out now*

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Isn't boasting covered in one of the 10 "DON'T DO IT" Commandments?

Yes, give it a rest for a while orfeo. [Razz]

Pearlie [and I dont want to hear anything about you struggling to ID a pic] [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Oinkster

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh , leave him alone, Pearlie. I haven't seen such a touching record of someone's helpless slide into addiction since I read "Go Ask Alice." [Snigger]

[ 10. August 2013, 18:36: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
orfeo: *pulling computer power cord out now*
I'm sure it's a battery powered laptop.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

When your first 2 guesses are 8 metres and 12 metres out, fate then fucks with you by placing you on a bend in a road that otherwise appears ramrod straight and featureless in both directions. [Frown]

--------------------

Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had my lowest game score, 1943, and individual place score, 30. I have only reached 20,000 once and anything over 17,000 is good for me. Now I am going to play in reverse, going for low scores. Same game really, it is just where do I stay away from. Soooooo addictive.

--------------------
A careless shoestring in whose tie
I see a wild civility

Posts: 1194 | From: NSW | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

I pinned down a location from a blurry road sign, thanks to Google,and I was so excited! Then I found that I had accidentally X'd out the Geoguess tab. When I tried to retrieve it, of course it was a new game. All I had was a coffee spoon for wrist-slitting.

--------------------
Oinkster

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

Done that.
scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are some points -

What side of the road are they driving on?
ZA, Aus, S'pore, NZ, HK, and Macau, Japan, Britain and Ireland all drive on the left - most other places drive on the right.

What languages are signs in?
(Signs in HK are almost always bilingual; signs in Mexico near the American border often have English on them. If public signs are in English but private ones in other asian languages that's probably S'pore.)

What do the road-signs and markings look like?
If they vaguely follow the Vienna Conventions you know you are almost definitely not in US/Canada/Mexico; if they do not at all

What countries have Google Street view in the first place?
(Noticeably, /not/ mainland China, west Africa, India, Pakistan, M'ia, Indonesia, so if you see Chinese language countryside, it's probably Chinese Taipei, although some of HK is quite rural, of course; likewise Mexico is probably the biggest Spanish-speaking country on Google Earth.)

Especially if you know you're in the US/Canada, thinking in terms of "The Nine Nations of North America" helps. (What sort of industrial region are you in?) I find Anglophone Canada and the US almost indistinguishable on this, not that it matters too much if you're going for distance only.

How well developed is the place? (Northern Brazil is poorer and more rural than southern Brazil; if you know you're in Brazil at all you're almost certainly on the coast. South Africa's roads seem quite good; murram roads seem more likely to be Aus than ZA, perhaps as the former is drier and thus the Google car can take them more easily? Likewise potholes are more likely to be Brazil or Mexico than ZA.)

--------------------
SPK: I also plan to create ... a Calvinist Ordinariate
ken: I thought it was called Taize?

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's another tip: if you're here, click the double arrows to break every premise the game is based on. Trust me on this one.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Sweeeet!

Now I have the greatest image of the Doctor glued to the dashboard shouting "Quick, gang! The Cybermen are about to take over Russia... no, it's the Ukraine...No, Moldova... crikey, a bridge over a river next to a church...."

[ 13. August 2013, 23:04: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Ariston. How do I get back?

--------------------
A careless shoestring in whose tie
I see a wild civility

Posts: 1194 | From: NSW | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look for the double arrows pointing towards you. Walk back until you see them.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by Herrick:
Thank you Ariston. How do I get back?

Why would you want to?

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Also, another piece of reference material: where Google Street View has been, mapped.

What I guess is most interesting is how patchy their coverage of Russia is, though I'm guessing that's mostly a matter of getting major cities in the interior first, then moving to the Russian Far East, etc. I also would have expected to see more of South America (especially Argentina) and southeast Asia, like the Philippines and Indonesia, but hey, what can ya do? It does make guessing where tropical areas are easier.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

My path is clear. I must use my Spanish Minor and travel the wilds of South America to provide more GeoGuessr locations.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'll be travelling here on Saturday. Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to? [Smile]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I Do NOT like the new Google maps.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016