homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: What is a 'fresh expression' and what is it good for? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: What is a 'fresh expression' and what is it good for?
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Vade Mecum:
I don't contend for one moment that FE steals people (clerical or lay) away from Parish ministry (though it may very well do): rather that it saps energy, imagination and intellectual manpower, draining it away from revitalisation of the liturgy, of parochial ministry, of the clerical calling, and drains it into a great sink-hole which, to mix metaphors, is indeed a blind alley leading nowhere.

I don't agree with the general tenor of this post, nor with Davidson and Milbank's critique which seems to present a ridiculously rosy-hued picture of what the Parish Church can do, without recognising the cultural complexity of the present day.

Nevertheless, it is certainly the case in some denominations that money and people are being placed into FE rather than resourcing "old expressions". There is nothing wrong with new initiatives but we mustn't neglect traditional Church either ... especially as (in my opinion) it is often they who end up resourcing FE which rarely seem to be able to support themselves. There's a balance to be had here, but I'm not quite sure where it is.

BTW, am I right in thinking that the most "proper" FEs are considered to be those which stand alone, rather than those which are new ministries of already-established (small "e"!) congregations?

An established parish starting a new initiative designed to appeal to a new congregation would be a FE. A new service for the existing congregation probably not, as I understand it.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Vade Mecum:
I don't contend for one moment that FE steals people (clerical or lay) away from Parish ministry (though it may very well do): rather that it saps energy, imagination and intellectual manpower, draining it away from revitalisation of the liturgy, of parochial ministry, of the clerical calling, and drains it into a great sink-hole which, to mix metaphors, is indeed a blind alley leading nowhere.

I don't agree with the general tenor of this post, nor with Davidson and Milbank's critique which seems to present a ridiculously rosy-hued picture of what the Parish Church can do, without recognising the cultural complexity of the present day.

Nevertheless, it is certainly the case in some denominations that money and people are being placed into FE rather than resourcing "old expressions". There is nothing wrong with new initiatives but we mustn't neglect traditional Church either ... especially as (in my opinion) it is often they who end up resourcing FE which rarely seem to be able to support themselves. There's a balance to be had here, but I'm not quite sure where it is.

BTW, am I right in thinking that the most "proper" FEs are considered to be those which stand alone, rather than those which are new ministries of already-established (small "e"!) congregations?

An established parish starting a new initiative designed to appeal to a new congregation would be a FE. A new service for the existing congregation probably not, as I understand it.

--------------------

*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

How long can a fresh expression run for before it ceases to be fresh and becomes established?
Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the FE website (I hope this isn't too much to quote for copyright reasons):

"The important thing is intention ... If it is to work towards establishing a new community or congregation especially for those who have never been involved in church (un-churched) or once were ... then it is a fresh expression of church in the making.

"If, though, the intention is to do mission better or more imaginatively in order to attract people to an existing church, it isn't a fresh expression ... The aim of a fresh expression is not to provide a stepping stone into existing church, but to form a new church in its own right".

[ 11. September 2013, 13:42: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
TBH I neither know nor much care. I'd like to know where you're going with this. You seem to want me to say "yes, it's basically that" and I want to know why you want me to say that, frankly.

TBH, I'm just trying to work out what it is, as it seems a little strange to me (although not in a bad way).

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"...The aim of a fresh expression is not to provide a stepping stone into existing church, but to form a new church in its own right".

Ah, I never knew this was explicitly stated in the Fresh Expressions guidance. I think I'd been fooled by comments (maybe from some people here, not sure) to the effect of 'So when are the people in this new group going to start attending real church?'

Of course, I realise some people do think in those 'stepping stone' sort of terms, but it's a comfort to me that the official position is that FE groups are a fully valid and proper version of church.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which then makes one ask the question, "What actually is a Church, and what differentiates it from a mere fellowship group or missional community?" For instance, does it have to have episcopally-ordained ministry? How much Christian teaching must it have? Can it be a church if it never celebrates Communion? How does it fit into the wider Christian community?

Clearly one can be "church" without organ music, stained glass, hymnbooks or buildings ... but is there a bare minimum without which we do not (yet) have Church?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

- Posted      Profile for S. Bacchus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Clearly one can be "church" without organ music, stained glass, hymnbooks or buildings ... but is there a bare minimum without which we do not (yet) have Church?

For me (and for most others coming from an Anglican or RC background, I should think), what is important is that there be a community of people which meets regularly for the Eucharist and the Office.

--------------------
'It's not that simple. I won't have it to be that simple'.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Yet I, as a Baptist, would say that Eucharist is merely "highly desirable" and any specific form of Liturgy "very optional" (after all, we never use any particular Office).

That shows we're coming from very different traditions, which will affect our evaluation of FEs.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
I like it. I know it would get up the wick of tonnes of people here but its better than us not being in church, and far more valid for us at the moemnt.

I think the key here is 'at the moment'. This may be a temporary stage, while the kids are young. Or it may become permanent. Whether it does or not doesn't matter - nobody can say for sure where their journey will take them in the future. But the reason I believe that Fresh Expressions are needed is that, at any one time, there will be several people in a particular area who are in need of something different than ordinary church services. And it is important to provide something for them.

What I'm not so sure about is whether every parish should so provide. Particularly in areas where there are lots of small churches, it would probably be better for the whole area to provide a collaborative initiative, so that funding and leadership can be adequately provided.

But the way also needs to be left open for people to go the other way, back to a more formal expression of worship, as needs change eg. kids growing up and leaving home, if that is what is needed at the time. The boundaries between formal church attendance and Fresh Expressions do need to be fluid, in both directions.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by S. Bacchus:
quote:

For me (and for most others coming from an Anglican or RC background, I should think), what is important is that there be a community of people which meets regularly for the Eucharist and the Office.
Ah. That'd be us then [Biased]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

Ah. That'd be us then [Biased]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Leon*:
quote:

How long can a fresh expression run for before it ceases to be fresh and becomes established?
or 'stale'.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The point of FX is that they are for people who have no background of church going - the unchurched not the dechurched.

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

That was the idea. I think that it came as a surprise just how many dechurched folk there were amongst those assumed to be unchurched. I personally think this is an inevitable stage in the FE concept evolution.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by *Leon*:
quote:

Who knows? Who cares? The important thing is whether real vibrant Christian communities are established and endure.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As someone who is single, childfree (and intends to stay that way) and is very happy with traditional expressions of church, I am a big supporter of Fresh Expressions and Pioneer ministry. Just because I fit in well with 'normal' church doesn't mean everyone does, and in a post-Christian country there are going to be many people for whom church is just totally culturally alien. It's not even that they're really opposed to church, it's just not on the radar. Fresh Expressions is about taking church to people, rather than forcing people into a form of church that doesn't fit - after all, God doesn't need church, church is for us.

S.Bacchus - regarding Ordained Pioneer Ministry training, in the Anglican church it's currently only offered at some non-residential regional training centres and at some evangelical theological colleges - Cranmer, St Johns Nottingham, Oak Hill and Wycliffe. If your friends going for ordination are fellow Anglo-Catholics, that's probably why none are going for it (and also why you know lots of people going for ordination in the first place!). There are plenty of non-evangelical churches involved with Fresh Expressions though, particularly those exploring New Monasticism.

For me personally, I would love to see more Fresh Expressions in my town, and join in with them. I think FE tends to be concentrated either in cities or rural areas with mid-sized towns missing out, and while we have a few FE groups, they're all evangelical (I am not) and almost entirely aimed at families. I'd love to start some kind of evening cafe church in our (liberal A-C) group of churches, and/or an LGBT-friendly service.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We seem to be confused as to what an FE is.

From the horse's mouth: http://www.freshexpressions.org.uk/guide/about/whatis

Always good to have a natter to the horse. People who train FE leaders stress that it's 'Fresh Expression of church' - a combination of four words that's both pithy and carefully chosen. Dead right KLB that the heart of this is being clear who it's for - unchurched and/or de-churched being a priority.

As I remember it, an FE relates to a parish (if it's Anglican) like a mum to it's sprog until it can become financially independent .

Interestingly, FE was originally developed out of work with the Ground Level group of churches. And owes a lot to Rowan Williams who invested a lot of his personal credibility and C of E cash to get it up and running.

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few months ago I knocked on the side door of a church running a Fresh Expressions scheme. There were people in the office inside. I made eye contact with them, and waited for them to answer it. They looked away. I knocked again. Nothing, and this time they withheld eye contact.

Another person walked into the room to talk to the people already there. She looked directly at me. I waved. She looked away and began a conversation. I knocked. Nothing. I walked off around the corner and pissed in their drain.

So yeah, they're of no use to me.

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Plique-à-jour:
A few months ago I knocked on the side door of a church running a Fresh Expressions scheme. There were people in the office inside. I made eye contact with them, and waited for them to answer it. They looked away. I knocked again. Nothing, and this time they withheld eye contact.

Another person walked into the room to talk to the people already there. She looked directly at me. I waved. She looked away and began a conversation. I knocked. Nothing. I walked off around the corner and pissed in their drain.

I don't think that one experience really reflects the whole range of FE schemes!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:

I don't think that one experience really reflects the whole range of FE schemes!
Except it does, especially to the un-churched and the de-churched who need a friendly, engaging group of people to get them back into some sort of communal relationship with God...
Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I was kind of joking, but also serious. If you're doing something based on meeting people where they are, but you won't even put yourself to the trouble of opening a door, you lost me. I could have been unchurched, and that might have been the only time I stood within church grounds.

--------------------
-

-

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
quote:
quote:

Except it does, especially to the un-churched and the de-churched who need a friendly, engaging group of people to get them back into some sort of communal relationship with God...
You beat me to it!

[ 11. September 2013, 23:24: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

--------------------
-

-

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
quote:

I was kind of joking, but also serious. If you're doing something based on meeting people where they are, but you won't even put yourself to the trouble of opening a door, you lost me. I could have been unchurched, and that might have been the only time I stood within church grounds.
And I would have to agree. But where do you want to go with it? Close down FE because one church side door had people on the other side of it being anti-social? Ye goddes and lyttle fyshes, we'd have closed down the mainstream church years ago on that basis.

--------------------

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

quote:
quote:
quote:

And I would have to agree. But where do you want to go with it? Close down FE because one church side door had people on the other side of it being anti-social? Ye goddes and lyttle fyshes, we'd have closed down the mainstream church years ago on that basis.
I don't want to go anywhere with it, I'm just saying they're no use to me. I've never been blanked in the mainstream church.

[ 12. September 2013, 09:42: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

--------------------
-

-

Shipmate
# 76

Well, that particular one probably isn't. FE probably is of no use to you anyway, because you're neither unchurched nor dechurched. They're not for you. But even if they were, your logic still appears to be that if one X is Y, then all X are Y. Which is of course bollocks.

--------------------

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

quote:
Well, that particular one probably isn't. FE probably is of no use to you anyway, because you're neither unchurched nor dechurched. They're not for you. But even if they were, your logic still appears to be that if one X is Y, then all X are Y. Which is of course bollocks.

You think they knew that? Of course not.

Oh I know, Karl. I know that FE people always revert to the haughtiness they accuse the mainstream church of whenever anyone even hints they should get adult.

I mean, think about it. That could have been their one chance. They don't know it wasn't.

[ 12. September 2013, 09:49: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

--------------------
-

-

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

You think they knew that? Of course not.

Oh I know, Karl. I know that FE people always revert to the haughtiness they accuse the mainstream church of whenever anyone even hints they should get adult.

I mean, think about it. That could have been their one chance. They don't know it wasn't.

I know they didn't know. All I am saying is that one experience of a FE setup that dropped the ball tells you nothing about whether it's generally a good thing and nothing about other FE setups. We all agree this particular incident as you describe it was a Bad Thing.

Hence what's your point? One particular FE setup mucked up on one particular occasion. Big deal. Why do you need to tar them all with the same brush?

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Christian was once very offhand and dismissive towards me.

I assume this means I can safely say Christians are rude arseholes who are no use to me? You see, I know how superior and holier-than-thou they all are at heart.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know that FE people always revert to the haughtiness they accuse the mainstream church of whenever anyone even hints they should get adult.

What Karl and Gumby said, but also where have you got this idea about haughtiness from? Is it from comments on this thread or from previous things you've heard, read or whatever? I'm sorry if I've contributed to the haughtiness at all; I know I have an unhelpful tendency to turn my nose up at written liturgy and what I see as antiquated formality.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

quote:
I know they didn't know. All I am saying is that one experience of a FE setup that dropped the ball tells you nothing about whether it's generally a good thing and nothing about other FE setups. We all agree this particular incident as you describe it was a Bad Thing.

Hence what's your point? One particular FE setup mucked up on one particular occasion. Big deal. Why do you need to tar them all with the same brush?

Perhaps because they're a 'way of being church' which presents itself as being at its best when welcoming the stranger. That's their USP, it's the thing they're supposed to be better at than the mainstream church. I can walk into any parish church in the country and not get blanked by the people hoovering and arranging the flowers. If the FE brief is loose enough to admit that 'way of being church', why should I give it another chance? Would you expect an unchurched person who that had happened to to give it another chance?

--------------------
-

-

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

Perhaps because they're a 'way of being church' which presents itself as being at its best when welcoming the stranger. That's their USP, it's the thing they're supposed to be better at than the mainstream church. I can walk into any parish church in the country and not get blanked by the people hoovering and arranging the flowers. If the FE brief is loose enough to admit that 'way of being church', why should I give it another chance? Would you expect an unchurched person who that had happened to to give it another chance?
How many times do you have to be told that what happened to you shouldn't, is most certainly not what FE is about, and is in no way representative of what FE wants to be? The FE brief is not "loose enough" to include what you report happening.

So again I ask, given that absolutely no-one is defending this particular incident at this particular FE, why do you persist in making out that it's somehow part of the FE brief?

Your persistent harping on about this one incident is starting to look like a determined effort on your part to hate FE for reasons of your own.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]I don't want to go anywhere with it, I'm just saying they're no use to me. I've never been blanked in the mainstream church.

Well, aren't you the lucky one! I was blanked in a mainstream church once, where I was the visiting speaker!

[ 12. September 2013, 11:34: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
What Karl and Gumby said, but also where have you got this idea about haughtiness from? Is it from comments on this thread or from previous things you've heard, read or whatever? I'm sorry if I've contributed to the haughtiness at all; I know I have an unhelpful tendency to turn my nose up at written liturgy and what I see as antiquated formality.

Oh no, not at all! It's just RL experiences from being a high Anglican with friends who were/are into non-traditional worship. When the latter get wind of criticism, they tend to sound more like PCC members saying 'but they oughtn't feel alienated' than they seem to know.

--------------------
-

-

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

quote:
How many times do you have to be told that what happened to you shouldn't, is most certainly not what FE is about, and is in no way representative of what FE wants to be? The FE brief is not "loose enough" to include what you report happening.

So again I ask, given that absolutely no-one is defending this particular incident at this particular FE, why do you persist in making out that it's somehow part of the FE brief?

Your persistent harping on about this one incident is starting to look like a determined effort on your part to hate FE for reasons of your own.

I'm not harping on, I'm refusing to apologise for not blaming myself, just as you have and do. Only, on this occasion, you happen to be a member of the club being criticised. Why can't you deal with this?

--------------------
-

-

Shipmate
# 76

If we can actually extract a useful point out of PaJ's train-wrecking of the thread, the point isn't about being blanked.

I'm also fortunate that I've never been blanked in a mainstream church. But on the other hand, I've never felt actually part of, accepted by, and valued by a church community in the way I have been lucky enough to in our FE setup. It's not been about active exclusion for me, so much as always feeling not really quite part of the church community, owing to not quite being subculturally like the rest of the congregation. Not an issue of fault; it just is.

--------------------

S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

- Posted      Profile for S. Bacchus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There seems, Karl, to be a slight inconsistency in that you want your experience to demonstrate that the parochial church system has failed (or at least can fail), but are unwilling to allow that the experience of anyone else might demonstrate that Fresh Expressions might be liable to similar failure.
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

I have friends who run a Fresh Expression, and I was interested in visiting it at one time. 'Those who criticise us must be bad people' is how cults think, Karl.

--------------------
-

-

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

I'm not harping on, I'm refusing to apologise for not blaming myself, just as you have and do. Only, on this occasion, you happen to be a member of the club being criticised. Why can't you deal with this?
And who exactly do you think I'm blaming, and for what?

Your point is extremely obscure. I've agreed with your criticism of this particular incident. I do not expect you to blame yourself for being blanked. I do not understand why you insist on generalising it.

To put it another way, what the fuck are you going on about?

--------------------

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

quote:
If we can actually extract a useful point out of PaJ's train-wrecking of the thread, the point isn't about being blanked.

I'm also fortunate that I've never been blanked in a mainstream church. But on the other hand, I've never felt actually part of, accepted by, and valued by a church community in the way I have been lucky enough to in our FE setup. It's not been about active exclusion for me, so much as always feeling not really quite part of the church community, owing to not quite being subculturally like the rest of the congregation. Not an issue of fault; it just is.

You're comfy, so I'm train-wrecking? No.

--------------------
-

-

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
There seems, Karl, to be a slight inconsistency in that you want your experience to demonstrate that the parochial church system has failed (or at least can fail), but are unwilling to allow that the experience of anyone else might demonstrate that Fresh Expressions might be liable to similar failure.

And have I EVER said that FE's cannot fail, cannot go wrong?

I haven't. They're churches run by fallible people, just like mainstream churches.

Why do you and PaJ insist on ascribing attitudes, thoughts and opinions to me that I do not actually have?

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
I have friends who run a Fresh Expression, and I was interested in visiting it at one time. 'Those who criticise us must be bad people' is how cults think, Karl.

Good job I don't think like that then isn't it? I have quite a few reservations and criticisms of our setup. Don't we all, of our churches?

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

PaJ, what happened to you was wrong and it shouldn't have happened. Sometimes, yes, FE schemes mess up and fail. But your experience does not reflect most FE schemes, just like unfriendly parish churches don't reflect most churches. It's not that parish churches totally fail, it's just that some people need a different kind of church. That's all.

--------------------

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

quote:
quote:
quote:

Your point is extremely obscure. I've agreed with your criticism of this particular incident. I do not expect you to blame yourself for being blanked. I do not understand why you insist on generalising it.

In a phrase: by their fruits ye shall know them.

--------------------
-

-

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

You're comfy, so I'm train-wrecking? No.
Do you have some kind of algorithm on your computer that takes everything I post and runs through as many permutations and interpretations as it can until it finds the one that casts me most unfavourably? Because it's starting to look like it.

--------------------

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

quote:
Why do you and PaJ insist on ascribing attitudes, thoughts and opinions to me that I do not actually have?

Weren't you doing that to me, just now?

--------------------
-

-

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

In a phrase: by their fruits ye shall know them.
So you are saying that because you had one bad experience all FEs and the people in them are bad.

Which is unbelievably idiotic.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

Weren't you doing that to me, just now?
Not intentionally, at any rate. Would you like to explain where you think I've done that?

--------------------

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

quote:
So you are saying that because you had one bad experience all FEs and the people in them are bad.

No, I am not, I'm saying that if FEs don't give their occupants the discipline not to behave like that, they're no use to me. The people who smile at me when I enter a church never having met me are not my buddy, nor determined one way or another about me, they're just adults, doing their duties. I don't care how good a club feels, if it looks through strangers, it isn't being church, and my time is not for them to waste trying again and again to learn how to act.

--------------------
-

-

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

No, I am not, I'm saying that if FEs don't give their occupants the discipline not to behave like that, they're no use to me. The people who smile at me when I enter a church never having met me are not my buddy, nor determined one way or another about me, they're just adults, doing their duties. I don't care how good a club feels, if it looks through strangers, it isn't being church, and my time is not for them to waste trying again and again to learn how to act.
Well on that we agree. The point I'm trying to get across is that your experience does not mean it is representative of FEs in general. If you're not generalising that experience to all FEs, I don't see how how you get to your apparent blanket generalisation - i.e. where you say "if FEs don't..." - in the plural.

[ 12. September 2013, 12:05: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016