homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: "He descended into Hell" (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: "He descended into Hell"
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
Satan welcoming the damned people to his realm where he can torment them as if he were God's very own high executioner, doing His work for Him.

I'm not going to claim the image is correct, in fact I'd agree that it's fanciful and unhelpful in understanding the nature of Judgement and the Demonic. But, it would be consistent with some parts of Scripture. How many times do the prophets declare that God has annointed the king of a foreign nation (Assyria, Babylon, Persia) as his instrument of judgement over Israel and Judah ... His "own executioner, doing His work for Him". Which, didn't mean that they didn't subsequently face the Judgement of God themselves. And, in Job we have Satan portrayed as part of the Heavenly Court, acting as chief prosecutor and commissioned by God the test Job.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly, in a number of Bible verses, Satan and the demons are the ones being tortured in the eternal fire. They're the tortuees, not the torturers.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And it's something I brought from my darkest cult days. Something else they got right.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been reading the blog of a Quaker in the US. This post is very good at explaining some of my own struggles with a literal view of Scripture, but also that I do believe in Divine inspiration behind it.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm watching The Bible on Channel 5. Christ on the cross. Darkness at noon ... It is finished ... Father in to thy hand ...

All I could say just now was thank you.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apropos of nothing, this prayer is spoken during the Great Entrance on Holy Saturday:

quote:
In the tomb with the body and in hell with the soul, in Paradise with the thief and on the throne with the Father and the Spirit, wast Thou, O boundless Christ, filling all things.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Apropos of nothing, this prayer is spoken during the Great Entrance on Holy Saturday:

quote:
In the tomb with the body and in hell with the soul, in Paradise with the thief and on the throne with the Father and the Spirit, wast Thou, O boundless Christ, filling all things.

Nice. But how can an unrisen, unascended Christ do that?
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Interestingly, in a number of Bible verses, Satan and the demons are the ones being tortured in the eternal fire. They're the tortuees, not the torturers.

Not just interesting; absolutely essential.
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How can God be one in substance but three unconfused persons? How can God be transcendent yet also imminent? It might seem like a cop out but I would say, try not to think how, just wonder. Trouble begins when we start to think too linear.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
How can God be one in substance but three unconfused persons? How can God be transcendent yet also imminent? It might seem like a cop out but I would say, try not to think how, just wonder. Trouble begins when we start to think too linear.

I don't see thinking and wondering as mutually exclusive. In fact, in my tradition they are inextricably linked. If I wasn't able to think about the incarnation, for example, I wouldn't be able to wonder at it as much as I do. The verse of scripture that has filled me with most wonder this year is Luke 1:43 where Elizabeth asks Mary the Mother of Jesus, "And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" I find the implications of this verse absolutely wonderful because they are so deeply thought provoking.

I put great stock on the unparalleled authority of the risen, ascended Lord Jesus Christ. This is why I asked Mousethief that question. I'm not trying to diminish the wonder, I'm trying to maximise it.

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

He's not in one substance, the three are of one substance. Also God is also imminent through the incarnation and subsequently through the Holy Spirit.

I can't see your problem.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because the gospel is the power of God to those who believe? "He who believes in me, even though he were dead. yet shall he live"

Interesting translators' puzzle there in John 11:25, of course. More modern translations make it "even if he dies", but from my limited Greek understanding, there's a minor difference between the Textus Receptus (KJV) and the revised Greek text on this point. A small difference that makes all the difference!

More appropriate for Keryg, probably. The interesting theological issue is whether our classic protestant understanding actually limits the power and scope of the gospel of salvation. Only in this life. A statement or a question?

[ 23. December 2013, 08:18: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

[Confused]
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The dead can hear the gospel and be saved by its power. Particularly if proclaimed by the One who is to be believed in.

I'm suggesting those are questions which Protestantism normally answers with "only while we live". We take dead to mean dead in our sins but alive in our bodies. Whereas Catholics and Orthodox, I think, believe that the saving power of the gospel may transcend physical death.

I'm speculating, daron. Why should not the gospel of salvation have power in the mouth of the One in whom we believe, whether risen or not? The imagery is of the 'spirits in prison' whatever that may mean following Jesus. We believe and follow, don't we?

[ 23. December 2013, 09:07: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Let me try to ask the question another way. Did the mighty resurrection and glorious ascension of the Son of God actually change anything, or was it just a mop up operation with objective soteriological effect? I ask because it seems to me that we're suggesting a sort of over-realised soteriology which doesn't actually require the real, historical, time-bound resurrection and ascension of Christ for the gospel to be effectual.
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Correction: "with no objective soteriological effect"...
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why divide them and try to pinpoint as specific moment in time? It seems to me an all too linear way of thinking about the cross, resurrection, ascension and our salvation, and I'd even go so far as to say that it is positively unhelpful.

[ 23. December 2013, 09:43: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, daronmedway, but I don't see how this follows at all from what anyone has said here, be they Protestant, Catholic or Orthodox.

quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
Let me try to ask the question another way. Did the mighty resurrection and glorious ascension of the Son of God actually change anything, or was it just a mop up operation with objective soteriological effect? I ask because it seems to me that we're suggesting a sort of over-realised soteriology which doesn't actually require the real, historical, time-bound resurrection and ascension of Christ for the gospel to be effectual.

You show me any mainstream Christian tradition that doesn't emphasise the necessity for a real, historical, time-bound resurrection and ascension of Christ for the Gospel to be effectual.

We are dealing with Mysteries here. The scriptures don't give us an itemised railway timetable for what happened between the crucifixion and the resurrection.

If you're asking me whether I believe that Christ literally went into a dungeon sometime between his burial and his resurrection and kicked the door down as in this Fra Angelico fresco then obviously I don't.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fra_Angelico_024.jpg

But if you're asking me whether the fresco depicts a tremendous Gospel truth, then yes, I do believe it does ...

I don't need an itemised 'list' ... and I don't mean to be flippant or irreverent with the following ...

2.10am, crept out of tomb, entered elevator (lift) and pressed button for Hell.
2.12am, arrive in Hell. Knock on the door. It doesn't open.
2.13am, break down door. It tumbles in on top of one of the guards. He's an ugly effort with bat wings and horns.
2.15am begin sermon, Abraham and Adam are most attentive. I tell Adam that he needs to explain it to his wife at home afterwards ...
2.45am, I end sermon with an altar-call. The Old Testament saints respond and 'come forward' ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Ad Orientem, and if I were cheeky I'd suggest it was a particular 'linear' and Scholastic approach that some of our more Reformed friends have imbibed from late medieval Catholicism.

It betokens a rather mechanistic frame of mind. Spiritual Meccano.

It can be fun to play with Meccano but you can't build real buildings with it. Or, if you need, you'd need to work pretty hard at it ...

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I don't think so, daron. Jesus was, is, and always shall be the resurrection and the life. We hear from John's gospel that extraordinary self-proclamation during His earthly life. His resurrection from the dead proclaims that to us, and to the 'principalities and powers'. The resurrection is the victory, the outworking on earth which flows from the essence of Who Jesus was, is and ever shall be.

There is always a puzzle over kenosis. Our God contracted to a span, incomprehensibly made man, as the old hymn puts it. But I'm loth to put any theoretical restrictions on what He was capable of doing in this strange 'waiting period', as we see it. I'm not sure we have any clear NT basis for doing that, regardless of how sceptical we may be about Traditional takes on the few scriptures that might provide a clue or two.

Xposted

[ 23. December 2013, 09:59: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
2.15am begin sermon, ...
2.45am, I end sermon

That can't possibly be right. Half an hour for a sermon? That's barely long enough to start warming up to the first point!

OK, that's also flippant.

But, on your "time table" I have a more serious question. Why knock on the door to the place of the dead, find it locked and then kick it in?

I've always been more inclined in my limited thought on the subject to have a view that is more like:

1) Jesus died. Really, truly, totally dead. And, he then experiences the same as everyone else who is totally dead. For people who consider the spirit or soul to be seperable from the body, a way to illustrate that is to say that his soul/spirit went to the place of the dead with all the other souls/spirits of the dead.

2) Jesus (or his soul/spirit) is then already inside the place of the dead. No need to knock down a door to get in, the nails knocked into his wrists were knocking enough.

3) Jesus bursts open the door from the inside providing a means for returning to the place of the living. It is the Ressurection that breaks that door. In so doing, he opens the way for others to follow him; he is the first born from the dead.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Why divide them and try to pinpoint as specific moment in time? It seems to me an all too linear way of thinking about the cross, resurrection, ascension and our salvation, and I'd even go so far as to say that it is positively unhelpful.

Well, IME, time is linear and my life seems to be inexorably panning out in a linear manner. YMMV. However, the gospel texts themselves testify to that reality: they start with the incarnation and birth of Christ and they move on through time to his death and resurrection and then finish with ascension. In fact, the whole bible seems to take time quite seriously One can only assume that this is because the order of events in time somehow matters.

I guess we can try to cut the gospel free from all constrain of time and history thereby creating some kind of mystical religion in which actual historical events are subsumed into something more akin to hinduism. But it wouldn't be Christianity.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
2.15am begin sermon, ...
2.45am, I end sermon

That can't possibly be right. Half an hour for a sermon? That's barely long enough to start warming up to the first point!

OK, that's also flippant.

But, on your "time table" I have a more serious question. Why knock on the door to the place of the dead, find it locked and then kick it in?

I've always been more inclined in my limited thought on the subject to have a view that is more like:

1) Jesus died. Really, truly, totally dead. And, he then experiences the same as everyone else who is totally dead. For people who consider the spirit or soul to be seperable from the body, a way to illustrate that is to say that his soul/spirit went to the place of the dead with all the other souls/spirits of the dead.

2) Jesus (or his soul/spirit) is then already inside the place of the dead. No need to knock down a door to get in, the nails knocked into his wrists were knocking enough.

3) Jesus bursts open the door from the inside providing a means for returning to the place of the living. It is the Ressurection that breaks that door. In so doing, he opens the way for others to follow him; he is the first born from the dead.

This is very, very helpful Alan. Thank you.
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
quote:

Well, IME, time is linear and my life seems to be inexorably panning out in a linear manner. YMMV. However, the gospel texts themselves testify to that reality: they start with the incarnation and birth of Christ and they move on through time to his death and resurrection and then finish with ascension. In fact, the whole bible seems to take time quite seriously One can only assume that this is because the order of events in time somehow matters.

I guess we can try to cut the gospel free from all constrain of time and history thereby creating some kind of mystical religion in which actual historical events are subsumed into something more akin to hinduism. But it wouldn't be Christianity.

You end with a false dichotomy, I'm afraid. No one is denying the historicity of the cross, resurrection and ascension, least of all I, yet they all transcend time, hence St. John in the Apocalypse tells us that Christ is the lamb slain before the foundation of the world.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Excerpt from the mythical sermon

"This place can't hold me anyway. And if you follow me, neither can it hold you! Well, are you coming or aren't you?"

Leaving "flippant" behind, we can be confident that it was impossible for the grave to hold Him, because of who He was. peter is recorded as saying that in Acts 2.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Now who's being over-literalistic? Yes, there was a death sentence over the Christ from before the creation of the world: in this respect he was slain from before the foundation of tye world. It's equally true that he was resurrected and ascended before the foundation of world too. But that doesn't obviate the necessity for the fulfilment of those verities in time and history in accordance with the principles of time and history.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I don't think anyone is saying that, daron. The only difference between us is that I don't see that the fulfilment argument excludes some kind of proclamation to the dead, or to fallen angels.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I don't think anyone is saying that, daron. The only difference between us is that I don't see that the fulfilment argument excludes some kind of proclamation to the dead, or to fallen angels.

The proclamation of what Barnabas?
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

The Gospel. Though I would say that he didn't preach to the fallen angels because our Lord says that they are already condemned.
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

And yet it's the Orthodox who accuse Evangelicals of preaching a gospel based on the sufficiency of the cross while leaving out salvific necessity of the resurrection. In. ter. est. ing.

[ 23. December 2013, 11:27: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Whose proclaiming the cross without the resurrection? Will not those whom Christ preached to in Hades be raised up on the last day too? Adam and Eve, Abraham, Moses etc? The resurrection has everything to do with Christ descending into Hades and preaching to the spirits there.
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Christ hadn't risen or entered into glory during the episode we are discussing. He had no body. He could not be glorified. He had not yet been declared Son of God in power.
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

What do you think Christ did between his death and resurrection? Where are the old testament saints? He preached to them, he said, look not even death can hold me for I will rise from the dead and neither will death hold you if you have faith. The same gospel he preached on earth. He lifted the veil which was still over the old testament saints, showed them he was the one they had been waiting for and opened up the way to heaven for them. They now reign with Christ in heaven.
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

So, the proclamation was prospective and anticipative of the resurrection? Where did this incomplete gospel get its saving power?
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's interesting how much of this discussion turns on our views of the dimension of time and whether or not we conceive it as truly linear. By the same token, the issue of what is meant by "eternity" or "outside time" is wrapped up with the question of the reality or unreality of temporal linearity.

Now certainly in traditional Christian understanding we have the idea that Christ eternally offers himself to the Father (and that the Mass temporally reveals and takes part in this eternal sacrificial self-offering), but to what extent are our contemporary notions of Time/Eternaity peculiarly reflective of the cosmology that has developed in the past century, from Einstein onward? IOW, are we viewing and speaking in an idiom that the Church and her theologians would generally not have shared prior to the turn of the 20th Century?
And if this is the case, does such a lack of "fit" of world views matter?

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
So, the proclamation was prospective and anticipative of the resurrection? Where did this incomplete gospel get its saving power?

How do you know it was incomplete? Or are we looking at some kind of dispensational view here? That Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom and the church preached the gospel of salvation?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:

What makes you think He can't?

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

This might sound ad hominem and please forgive me (in advance, in advance of linear time ... [Biased] if it is) ...

Daronmedway seems so 'hell-bent' - as it were - of finding fault with anything that isn't as Reformed as he is that he is erecting more strawmen than The Strawman and Scarecrow Appreciation Society's Annual Strawman Convention.

Nobody - not the Orthodox, not the RCs, not other forms of Protestant to strictly Reformed ones - are postulating a mystical and non-material outworking of salvation history. I don't see anyone here proclaiming that there wasn't a real crucifixion, that there wasn't a real burial, that there wasn't a real resurrection.

What am I missing that daronmedway seems so able to see that the rest of us can't?

I'm tempted to accuse him of join-the-dots Christianity, an almost mechanical and mechanistic approach.

That probably wouldn't be fair but he does seem to be painting himself into a corner with this one.

Meanwhile ... @Alan ... of course I'm not thinking of a real door and real chambers and dungeons. I'm not even thinking of a 'real' sermon in terms of some kind of event that took place in Hades in space and time ... as it were.

It's more that Christ's death and resurrection 'proclaimed' that ... it was a sermon in itself. It proclaimed who he is.

Hence my rather flippant caricature with the lift (elevator).

As for the sermon, I'm surprised that some of the more Reformed types didn't take me to task for including an 'altar-call' at the end ...

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This might sound ad hominem and please forgive me (in advance, in advance of linear time ... [Biased] if it is) ...

hosting/

Yes it does sound ad hominem, and you admit that before you even post it. Asking forgiveness in advance does not help. If you must get personal, take it to Hell. Them's the rules.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I was jiving with the idea of linear time and so that's come up here - asking forgiveness in advance for a sin I was about to commit - so there was a tongue-in-cheek element here but I take your point Eutychus.

I won't call anyone to Hell just before Christmas and nor do I think anyone here deserves such a call besides myself.

Hell has been harrowed and I hope to keep it that way ...

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

I guess the fact the the Apostle Paul said that unrisen, unascended, unglorified Christ would make Christians the most pitiable people on earth. That suggests to me that the bodily, historical resurrection achieved something concrete and objective that is crucial to the faith.
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
What am I missing that daronmedway seems so able to see that the rest of us can't?

Gamaliel, I'm not necessarily trying to get anyone to see something. I'm asking people to help me see what they see. I'm asking questions on the basis of my understanding of the bodily resurrection of Christ on the third day as vital for the benefits of Christ's passion to be effectual. I can't see how Christ can visit hell savingly before he is raised in power. It kind of steals the thunder of Easter Day for me.

[ 23. December 2013, 20:30: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in as another one who can't square "God could only beat death through Christ's Resurrection" with the idea of an Omnipotent God.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

I want to know why you think he can. Maybe you could convince me.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
daronmedway: I want to know why you think he can. Maybe you could convince me.
He's Almighty. Duh.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
daronmedway: I want to know why you think he can. Maybe you could convince me.
He's Almighty. Duh.
That's an answer that is too easy. It begs a whole load of questions: If he's Almighty, why couldn't He just forgive us our sins? Why did Christ need to die and rise? What did it achieve? The NT authors in inummerable places state clearly that the death and resurrection of Christ (and incarnation, ascension etc) achieved something that could not have been achieved any other way. Why wasn't there another way?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Alan Cresswell: That's an answer that is too easy. It begs a whole load of questions: If he's Almighty, why couldn't He just forgive us our sins? Why did Christ need to die and rise? What did it achieve? The NT authors in inummerable places state clearly that the death and resurrection of Christ (and incarnation, ascension etc) achieved something that could not have been achieved any other way. Why wasn't there another way?
I think those are good questions. Why can't He?

--------------------

A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Thank GOD Angus! I've been saying it for years here to no response whatsoever. May be the time is right. You can have ALL the glory mate.

I don’t think I deserve any glory – R T France can have all the credit as far as I’m concerned. [Smile]

Having taken Hostly advice, I don’t think I’d better quote from the book I referred to as extensively as I’d like to. This is a pity, as France writes very logically and lucidly, and re-phrasing in my own words will only produce a less elegant version. However, here goes:

We need to be aware of the whole world of Jewish mythology which is foreign to 21st century minds, and Jewish apocalyptic writings often refer to the passage in Gen.6:1-4. According to such writings, these ‘sons of God’ were thrown out of heaven because of their sin, and imprisoned to await their punishment at the last judgement. Until then, they – or their offspring – were believed to be the source of evil on earth. In the passage in 2 Peter referring to the fallen angels they are linked to Noah and the flood, which is recounted in the subsequent verses of Gen 6. The extra-biblical books Testament of Naphthali (3:5) and Jubilees (10:5) also make this link (with the former stating that the flood came because of the sin of the fallen angels.)

However, it is the Book of Enoch that gives most detail about the sin, imprisonment, and punishment of these angels, which is covered in many passages in that book. There are several parallels between these passages and 1Pet.3:19-20, notably in Enoch chapter 12 where Enoch is given a commission to go and proclaim the impending punishment to the imprisoned angels. This is a remarkable parallel to the mission that Christ performed, as recorded in 1Peter.

France concludes this discussion with: “The evidence is more than sufficient to indicate that [in 1Pet3:19] ta en phulakē pneumata* must be the fallen angels who, according to tradition, sinned at the time of Noah, and are in custody awaiting their final punishment. To us the reference is obscure; to a church which knew and prized the Book of Enoch (as the author of Jude so evidently did too) it would need no explanation.” (New Testament Interpretation ed. I Howard Marshall. Paternoster, 1977 p.270)

On the subject (as debated in several posts above from Barnabas62, daronmedway, and Ad Orientem) of whether what was preached was the gospel, I don’t think that it was. The verb used is kērusso which means ‘to announce in a formal or official manner by means of a herald’** not euangelizō ‘to communicate good news concerning something (in the NT a particular reference to the gospel message about Jesus)'** The confusion on this is probably caused by older versions (KJV, RV, RSV) translating both of these verbs as ‘preach’, obscuring the difference between them. (cf. ESV which translates as ‘proclaimed’).

As for when this mission was performed by Jesus, there is nothing in 1Peter that indicates that it was in between his death and resurrection. Thus there is no conflict with Matt.12:40 as referenced earlier by daronmedway. I trust that shipmates can now appreciate why I refrain from saying the phrase of the creed under discussion.

A final comment on my approach to this sort of subject, for Evensong’s benefit if he or she is reading this as prompted by my post on another thread. Theologically I probably fit best into the ‘conservative evangelical’ category in regarding the Bible as the primary and definitive source for belief and practice. But in order to understand firstly what that primary and definitive source meant in its original context, I will use every scholarly resource – linguistic, literary, socio-cultural, etc. – that I can get my hands on.

Angus

* Original Greek script transliterated to Latin script
** Definitions from: Louw & Nida, Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament based on Semantic Domains

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I want to know why you think he can. Maybe you could convince me.

I don't see that "Christ could do X" requires explanation. He's God. You must have some reason for thinking he couldn't. You keep using the word "pre-resurrection" as if that made some kind of change in His abilities. Why do you think that? Don't dodge the question. You think something fundamentally changed. What changed? Why? How?

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I guess the fact the the Apostle Paul said that unrisen, unascended, unglorified Christ would make Christians the most pitiable people on earth. That suggests to me that the bodily, historical resurrection achieved something concrete and objective that is crucial to the faith.

Is anyone actually disagreeing with that statement?

Curiously, it's those who maintain resolutely that substiutionary atonement is the one, true and only explanation of the events of Holy Week, who are the ones who get accused (sometimes with good reason) of giving the impression that the resurrection is just a sort of afterthought, tagged on at the end but of little significance in comparison with the cross.
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell
That's an answer that is too easy. It begs a whole load of questions: If he's Almighty, why couldn't He just forgive us our sins? Why did Christ need to die and rise? What did it achieve? The NT authors in inummerable places state clearly that the death and resurrection of Christ (and incarnation, ascension etc) achieved something that could not have been achieved any other way. Why wasn't there another way?

Perhaps he could. Perhaps there might have been. But sometimes we have to accept that God knows better than we do, and that is how things have to be in the Universe he happens to have created, that somehow, this is his nature.

We might well think that if we were God, we would have done it all differently, but we aren't, and he is the one who is almighty and all-knowing, not us.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016