homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The church has no choice but to act over poverty (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The church has no choice but to act over poverty
Solly
Shipmate
# 11919

- Posted      Profile for Solly     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Christians want to help the 'starving', there is a real problem for elderly people living alone who may be lonely and depressed and not eating properly. Friendship and a hot meal could be a life saver - even a bishop could do this!
Posts: 70 | From: Sussex UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Solly:
quote:
I think Jesus would be fucking livid at foodbanks and with good reason. It is an absolute failing and a scandal that people are starving in a first-world country, and foodbanks exist because of that.
20 years at Citizens Advice, Jade Constable, and I still haven't see any starving people. I see people in trouble and needing help - but starving - No. I don't see as many homeless people as there were in the early nineties either. I think food banks are great, and the people that donate food to them and the volunteers that help in them - and I am damned sure Jesus would too.
So what would you do? Do let us know.
The benefits/tax credits system in this country had got completely out of hand to the point that when I was doing legal aid work, some clients on benefits had too much money and weren't eligible. How ridiculous is that? And there was no incentive to work or increase hours even if you wanted to - which many people did.
Of course turning round the welfare system in this country is causing hardship - but it will eventually work and we are hopefully going to see more people standing on their own feet. In the meantime, shall we all do what we can to offer practical help to those in need?

Actually I frequently went without food totally when I was at my poorest, so yes I do know starving people - because I was one. Just because you've never met one doesn't mean they don't exist. Why do you feel that you can dismiss my own experiences as someone who has been poor and who has starved (in Sussex, incidentally)? Have you never heard of Jack Monroe, for example?

And homelessness has risen since the 90s - I am astonished that the CAB has such misinformed people working for them. Homelessness doesn't always look like people sleeping rough on the streets. When I was homeless I wasn't on the streets, I was still homeless.

As for food banks and Jesus, did you not read my post? It's good that people are being fed, it's wrong that people need that in a first-world country in 2014. Jesus would be scandalized by that and to assume otherwise is a serious misreading of the Gospel. People don't need Lady Bountifuls to have hot meals with them, they need justice.

And 'turning round the welfare system'? How about razing it to the ground? Unless of course you approve of people in comas being declared fit for work?

When I was homeless and then vulnerably housed and starving, I never bothered going to the CAB, partly because I was under 21 and went to youth services. I'm now glad I didn't bother.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one for you Solly.

http://www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk/news/11046341.Family_of_man_who_starved_to_death_consider_tribunal/?ref=var_0

Yep. Tory cuts and reforms are indeed killing people.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Have you never heard of Jack Monroe, for example?

I have, via Richard Littlejohn. I don't usually care for what he says, but I found this portrait of her very amusing.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:

I have, via Richard Littlejohn. I don't usually care for what he says, but I found this portrait of her very amusing.
Amusing... hmmmm....

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Unless of course you approve of people in comas being declared fit for work?

You've made this claim a lot on this thread. Do you have any evidence (ideally from a reputable news source) to support it?

Or is it, in fact, one of the numerous urban myths about how absolutely evil the government/ATOS/etc. are that are being passed round by people who want to believe it's true because it suits their politics? It's starting to feel like if someone was hit by a car after leaving their ATOS interview the usual suspects would be saying ATOS had killed them.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Here's one for you Solly.

shortened link for scroll lock purposes

Yep. Tory cuts and reforms are indeed killing people.

So a chap with "obsessive compulsive disorder, Aspergers syndrome, phobias of food, pollution, paint fumes and social situations and cognitive behavioural problems" starved to death after having his benefits cut. But of course, if he'd been getting a few more pounds a week none of those factors would have been a problem at all?

I'd like to see some evidence that his starvation was directly linked to the benefits cut rather than to something else, such as perhaps the fact that he had phobias of food. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

[ 04. March 2014, 09:20: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Unless of course you approve of people in comas being declared fit for work?

You've made this claim a lot on this thread. Do you have any evidence (ideally from a reputable news source) to support it?

Or is it, in fact, one of the numerous urban myths about how absolutely evil the government/ATOS/etc. are that are being passed round by people who want to believe it's true because it suits their politics? It's starting to feel like if someone was hit by a car after leaving their ATOS interview the usual suspects would be saying ATOS had killed them.

Will this do you as a source?

quote:
From Hansard 27th Feb 2014, Column 454-5:
I want to read out a letter that was recently received by one of my constituents:

“Dear Miss HOLT,

You are now approaching the end of the 1st Stage of your Intensive Job Focused Activity. We hope that all the activity or training intervention completed so far has not only supported you to achieve your aspirations but has moved you closer to the job market.

You will shortly enter the 2nd Stage of your Intensive Job Focused activity.

Sessions and Workshops may vary depending on the centre you attend.”

The letter was sent to my constituent Sheila Holt on 30 January. I am sad to have to inform the House that Sheila will not be able to attend the second stage of her intensive job-focused activity because she has been in a coma since December. Members of her family have repeatedly informed the DWP and Seetec that she is not well, but those organisations have continued to harass them.

[Simon Danczuk (Rochdale) (Lab)]

Or the minister's apology: BBC News

This is not the only example.

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:

Yes, everybody knows that letters from constituents and comments by politicians in Parliament are invariably honest, true and unbiased.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

quote:
quote:

Yes, everybody knows that letters from constituents and comments by politicians in Parliament are invariably honest, true and unbiased.
Yes, and having checked the facts the minister felt the need to apologise anyway because he would never doubt the honesty of an opposition member... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Yes, and having checked the facts the minister felt the need to apologise anyway because he would never doubt the honesty of an opposition member... [Roll Eyes]

You and I both know that ministers will apologise for almost anything whether they were to blame or not if it means averting a media shitstorm*. PR is far more important than the facts.

*= case in point: all those politicians apologising because it rained too much this winter.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is another link to the story. It seems to have some foundation in reality...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

quote:
quote:

You and I both know that ministers will apologise for almost anything whether they were to blame or not if it means averting a media shitstorm*. PR is far more important than the facts.

*= case in point: all those politicians apologising because it rained too much this winter.

Yes
But also bollocks in this case.

How to respond to this letter:

1) Accuse the Labour member of trying to smear the government with an emotive story
2) Remind everyone that the welfare bill is HUGE, HUGE I TELL YOU!!!
3) Talk about how HELPING people into work is the only GOOD
4) Talk about how ridiculously high the claimant rate is
5) Remind everyone that THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE™
6) Shout "WHAT WOULD YOU CUT INSTEAD?"

of course that might not work if the story is true.

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[IMHO, we're approaching a hell call. This is a real person who is being spoken about. She lives in a real place. And she has a real family. I would hate for them to read this. Jussayin']
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Eutycus.

And the irony of your signature (or whatever it is below) is poignant, in this regard.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
This is a real person who is being spoken about. She lives in a real place. And she has a real family. I would hate for them to read this. Jussayin'

I haven't said a word about her, I've been talking about the many and various people using her situation as a club with which to beat the government.

Perhaps this thread needs a new direction. Would those who are attacking the government like to propose an alternative set of policies for discussion?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

The quote by Archbishop Desmond Tutu was highlighted in the OP.

I wonder about two other pieces from the article by Bishop David:

One about people of faith coming together to join others to respond effectively to need.
Do we? Or do we want to do our own thing?

The other was how (his words not mine) "many religious believers now seem to buy into" the acceptable face of widespread delaying or denying of benefit entitlements. And the whole acceptable collateral damage thing

I feel distinctly uncomfortable about those challenges.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

That's still about what needs to be changed, not what it will be changed into.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
This is a real person who is being spoken about. She lives in a real place. And she has a real family. I would hate for them to read this. Jussayin'

I haven't said a word about her, I've been talking about the many and various people using her situation as a club with which to beat the government.

Perhaps this thread needs a new direction. Would those who are attacking the government like to propose an alternative set of policies for discussion?

Yep. Stop declaring people fit for work when they aren't. Don't stop people's benefits leaving them with fuck all to live on. Stop demonising the unemployed and low paid. Increase taxes on people who can actually afford them instead of taking money away from people who can't. Have more people tackling the massive tax avoidance problem than the much smaller benefit fraud issue instead of the other way round.

My starters for 10.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are bound to be a few cases of people being wrongly taken off benefits because of administrative foul-up because no system is perfect: that would hold good were 'the system' being run by ATOS, social services, or a Government of any hue, Tory or Labour. Administration is not the UK's finest art - there is evidence of that from every field.

But just because there are foul-ups doesn't take away from the fact that there are cases where once on benefits some people just stay there.

Its not just a case of them 'costing us money' - its bad for them because it reduces them to a life of dependency. Being dependent on benefits may have to be the reality for some but for those who are able to do some work, or for whom education or training in life skills jsut hasn't happened, a reassessment of their needs is essential.

I did some work with a project for children who'd either been thrown out of home or who'd left institutional care without the basic skills to live independently. It was frightening that some of these young people, aged 17-20, had fewer life skills than my own children had by the age of 10. One of the biggest problems we encountered with those thrown out of home was that many had no idea of how to look after themselves, or of the reality of adults getting up early and going to work. All these young people had had their own social worker yet none had ever been given practical lessons in the nuts-and-bolts of everyday life: shopping to a list, cooking, time management, laundry, etc, etc, etc.

As for Jack Monroe: she is not without qualifications, she left home (as she herself admits) at 18 thinking she knew everything, she had a good job with the Fire Service, she chose to become pregnant and carry on the pregnancy without exploring how having a baby would work with the job she had, etc,etc. If she were very young and not very bright that might all be reasonable-ish but she was in her 20s when she had her child, was more than capable of assessing what the situation was likely to be when she had the child, yet still went ahead. Whether or not it is fair for someone with a new baby to be expected to commute 30 miles to work is irrelevant, she should have properly thought things through.

Enough: there is only a certain amount of money to go around and the benefits system as it is means that those who need the most help don't get enough - yet there are some who don't need help but get it anyway. It needs reform (if that is possible) or else a radical re-think so that we target the precious resources we have to those most in need.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

This may help:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/08/uk-benefit-welfare-spending#zoomed-picture

State Pensions and Housing Benefit are the biggies. There's not a lot you can do about the first, but you could address the latter by means of rent controls and increased levels of social housing. Bear in mind all the money in that Housing Benefit bubble goes straight into the hands of landlords.

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When people are pronounced fit for work by the scumbags at ATOS ... Those who don't speak out are guilty by implication.

Am I right in thinking that ATOS was appointed under the last (Labour) government? Was there a hue and cry by the bishops then? (Or by posters on this site?) If there wasn't, are they guilty?
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

And I'd take All of Karl's thoughts, if only because then I don't have to consider my own heart on the issue! Coz then it's all Someone Elses Problem: the politicians, the policy makers, folk who steer public opinion, "them". My problem with Bishop David's article is that he is calling out "us". He is making me feel (rightly) slightly uncomfortable.

He is asking if I am guilty of demonising any section of UK society? He is asking if my own local church might like to consider working With other agencies, who are already doing stuff?

By implication he's asking us...asking me...to step up. And I often don't want to. At my basest level I all too often would rather verbally bash someone else, sneer, take cheap shots,call foul on what is wrong with the C/E or any other institution instead and generally fall back into a Them and Us, Good and Bad, Right and Wrong, Tory and Labour attitude. All talk and no personal action, or responsibility.

Moat/Drawbridge/Portcullis/Tar Buckets approach to life ie, What's mine is mine and if I feel like it you might share. Maybe. Sometimes.

Only scripture doesn't say that and Bishop David reminds me that I could not only potentially be in trouble on a personal level, corporately my church could possibly up it's game.

[my interpretation, I'm sure others read it other ways]

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
When people are pronounced fit for work by the scumbags at ATOS ... Those who don't speak out are guilty by implication.

Am I right in thinking that ATOS was appointed under the last (Labour) government? Was there a hue and cry by the bishops then? (Or by posters on this site?) If there wasn't, are they guilty?
If I may quote Wikipedia:

quote:
the WCA did not gather significant pace, nor widespread national news, until after it was aggressively pushed by the incoming Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition government in 2010/11
Put it another way, they didn't start telling people with terminal cancer, in comas, so disabled that according to Marvin they may have just starved because they were incapable of looking after themselves, etc. etc. that they were fit for work until the current administration saw it as an opportunity to cut benefits.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You really can't go around calling an organisation, and by implication its entire workforce, 'scumbags'.

As for ATOS being a 'Tory tool' or friend: ATOS was first appointed to run health assessments for the DWP by the Labour government in 1998. Subsequently it has been given contracts by NHS Scotland and by the NHS in Wales.

Its IT services are spread throughout government - it was an ATOS subsidiary that was responsible for the mayhem caused when the UK Border Agencies computer system crashed a couple of years ago.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes, mocking someone in poverty who manages to inspire others, how hilarious. Given Littlejohn's vile personal views, I have to seriously question the morality of someone who finds him funny.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And what do you do about the people who simply aren't capable of being good managers of what they do have? Let them rot in squalor just because you can't be arsed?

What do you do about people who live in an area that has become a brownfield, so that the job opportunities simply don't exist? Tories NEVER go to such places; they can't handle the idea that their policies may have caused the poverty, and are making that poverty worse (read: Margaret Thatcher or Steven Harper). (Bishops don't often go there either, but priests/ministers do, so the info may filter up)

Why do your food banks only give three times, rather than seventy times seven? Ours maintain a register and a defined geographic area, so there won't be double-dipping, and each registered family gets one visit a month. When there is long-term unemployment (seasonal lay-offs for six months, e.g.) this only makes sense

You might want to read the psalm which talks about the farmer weeping as he sows: what do you do when faced with starvation or begging on the streets of a hostile city? Or do you really want a return to Dickens' England? Full starvation isn't likely,...yet, but even a dearth of food dulls intelligence (see JC above) and makes one less hirable.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

The amount of the pensions bill can't be seen properly in relation to the rest of the DEP budget because there is no pensions pot.

NI contributions are meant to provide for pensions so logic would be that a proportion was ring-fenced for pensions/pensioner benefits. But there is no fund - anymore than the true cost of the NHS and DEP benefits is actually known as a proportion of contributions through NI.

In any case, many pensioners get a very raw deal when you consider how much they've paid into the system - and that any extra they may get is assumed by the DWP to grow at 10% per annum when they calculate how much or how little they get through SERPS, etc.

And I've paid for SERPS - but it will be abolished before I get it. Likewise I'll have over 50 contribution years to my name - but will get the same basic pension as a person who has never worked or paid NI. And I'm told to 'make provision for my old age - I have, its just that the provider (the Government) is using them to pay for the feckless.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
There are bound to be a few cases of people being wrongly taken off benefits because of administrative foul-up because no system is perfect: that would hold good were 'the system' being run by ATOS, social services, or a Government of any hue, Tory or Labour. Administration is not the UK's finest art - there is evidence of that from every field.

But just because there are foul-ups doesn't take away from the fact that there are cases where once on benefits some people just stay there.

Its not just a case of them 'costing us money' - its bad for them because it reduces them to a life of dependency. Being dependent on benefits may have to be the reality for some but for those who are able to do some work, or for whom education or training in life skills jsut hasn't happened, a reassessment of their needs is essential.

I did some work with a project for children who'd either been thrown out of home or who'd left institutional care without the basic skills to live independently. It was frightening that some of these young people, aged 17-20, had fewer life skills than my own children had by the age of 10. One of the biggest problems we encountered with those thrown out of home was that many had no idea of how to look after themselves, or of the reality of adults getting up early and going to work. All these young people had had their own social worker yet none had ever been given practical lessons in the nuts-and-bolts of everyday life: shopping to a list, cooking, time management, laundry, etc, etc, etc.

As for Jack Monroe: she is not without qualifications, she left home (as she herself admits) at 18 thinking she knew everything, she had a good job with the Fire Service, she chose to become pregnant and carry on the pregnancy without exploring how having a baby would work with the job she had, etc,etc. If she were very young and not very bright that might all be reasonable-ish but she was in her 20s when she had her child, was more than capable of assessing what the situation was likely to be when she had the child, yet still went ahead. Whether or not it is fair for someone with a new baby to be expected to commute 30 miles to work is irrelevant, she should have properly thought things through.

Enough: there is only a certain amount of money to go around and the benefits system as it is means that those who need the most help don't get enough - yet there are some who don't need help but get it anyway. It needs reform (if that is possible) or else a radical re-think so that we target the precious resources we have to those most in need.

Unfair working hours and childcare costs force many people into poverty, Jack Monroe is not alone in that. We don't know the circumstances of her son's conception and it really isn't any of our business.

Also, if we could stop making it about 'us' v 'them' and othering those on benefits, that would really help. People are benefits are just people, not a category of people to marginalise. And it's not just 'a few' people being wrongly taken off benefits, it's far too many. One is far too many. But then, poor people are just statistics and don't really matter, right? The DWP are actively seeking to penalise benefit claimants.

Re young people, when I was homeless/vulnerably housed when I was 17, life skill lessons were provided by the hostels I was in. Naturally this is important and it is wrong that it's not offered consistently.

As for the finite pot of money, perhaps forcing multinationals to pay their taxes would help instead of blaming the poor. Just a thought.

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

[In reply to Jade Constable's post at 12.07pm]

I don't, usually. I generally find him awful (and was cheering Will Self on when he took him down on radio). But he's very occasionally capable of lucid, humorous prose.

[ 04. March 2014, 11:19: Message edited by: Anglican't ]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
You really can't go around calling an organisation, and by implication its entire workforce, 'scumbags'.

As for ATOS being a 'Tory tool' or friend: ATOS was first appointed to run health assessments for the DWP by the Labour government in 1998. Subsequently it has been given contracts by NHS Scotland and by the NHS in Wales.

Its IT services are spread throughout government - it was an ATOS subsidiary that was responsible for the mayhem caused when the UK Border Agencies computer system crashed a couple of years ago.

The introduction of ATOS by Labour was indeed a scandal, but given that Labour were Conservatives in disguise by then it's not a huge surprise sadly.

And if it acts like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. ATOS act like utter scum, so scum they are.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
[In reply to Jade Constable's post at 12.07pm]

I don't, usually. I generally find him awful (and was cheering Will Self on when he took him down on radio). But he's very occasionally capable of lucid, humorous prose.

'Lucid, humorous prose' that is actually full of lies? How about you actually listen to Jack herself and not the bigoted cunt?

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
What do you do about people who live in an area that has become a brownfield, so that the job opportunities simply don't exist? Tories NEVER go to such places; they can't handle the idea that their policies may have caused the poverty, and are making that poverty worse (read: Margaret Thatcher or Steven Harper).

Are you sure...?

Really sure...?

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Horseman Bree

When its been near lunchtime and I've sees someone on the street with a sign saying 'hungry' (or whatever) I've gone to a sandwich shop and bought a sandwich, bottle of water and piece of fruit - but 9 times out of 10 its been refused and I got abused as well.

No, you shouldn't let people who are poor managers 'rot in squalour' - but its been happening for years because a view has often been that one shouldn't try to 'impose middle-class standards' on them (that's a direct quote from a social worker I met 3 years ago).

At the moment NO ONE is showing people how to manage their affairs - maybe if more effort was made it would improve lives all round: as it is, just giving money and paying for housing/council tax is just warehousing.

And its not clever Karl to sneer at private landlords: some of us (yes, a small negative equity former home) lose out time and time again when tenants (a) spend their benefit on other things, (b) trash the house, or (c) do both. Still, I know who to call next time I have the unenviable task of sorting out a place where the tenant has decided to pee against the wall in the corner of the bedroom rather than go to the bathroom, and to use the fittings of the kitchen cupboard for a garden fire.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

I didn't sneer at anyone. I merely pointed out where HB ends up.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Horseman Bree

When its been near lunchtime and I've sees someone on the street with a sign saying 'hungry' (or whatever) I've gone to a sandwich shop and bought a sandwich, bottle of water and piece of fruit - but 9 times out of 10 its been refused and I got abused as well.

Beggars are not ALL the poor, if poor at all. They are, by most account, a very small minority of the poor in Canada and I would be surprised if they were anything but a small minority in the UK.

Please do not assume that reactions to your attempts at charity towards one group of people are somehow a complete understanding of what the poor think or do.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The amount of the pensions bill can't be seen properly in relation to the rest of the DEP budget because there is no pensions pot.

NI contributions are meant to provide for pensions so logic would be that a proportion was ring-fenced for pensions/pensioner benefits. But there is no fund - anymore than the true cost of the NHS and DEP benefits is actually known as a proportion of contributions through NI.

That is absolutely true.

quote:
In any case, many pensioners get a very raw deal when you consider how much they've paid into the system - and that any extra they may get is assumed by the DWP to grow at 10% per annum when they calculate how much or how little they get through SERPS, etc.
This appears to be in opposition to your previous paragraph above. As you said, the amount you get is not related to how much you have, individually, put in.

The idea that pensioners are getting a 'raw deal' is preposterous. Wait and see how much those of us in our 40s will get when we retire in comparison.

quote:
And I've paid for SERPS - but it will be abolished before I get it. Likewise I'll have over 50 contribution years to my name - but will get the same basic pension as a person who has never worked or paid NI. And I'm told to 'make provision for my old age - I have, its just that the provider (the Government) is using them to pay for the feckless.
Yes, and for that you've had an NHS that does whatever you need, you've had a safety-net that pays, you get a pension and so on and so forth.

Whether any of us will have that in the future is anyone's guess. At present those who work are paying for the massive and increasing number of people who are retired.

[ 04. March 2014, 11:43: Message edited by: pydseybare ]

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

Solly
Shipmate
# 11919

- Posted      Profile for Solly     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
People don't need Lady Bountifuls to have hot meals with them, they need justice.

Sadly this is the prevailing attitude in these hard times - It's not my job to help my neighbour - it's the government's - Not my jobsworth - Not me, guv, charity starts at home, mate

Perhaps some of us should take out the plank in our own eye before taking a swipe at others' shortcomings.

Posts: 70 | From: Sussex UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank God for Bp David, TSSF.
The more uncomfortable he makes us, the better.
I'll resist the temptation to climb on the Party Political soapbox, and just send the link to lots of people.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

posted by pydseybare
quote:
The idea that pensioners are getting a 'raw deal' is preposterous. Wait and see how much those of us in our 40s will get when we retire in comparison.
It is not preposterous: when you consider that most of today's pensioners - certainly the males - have been paying since the beginning of the NI system. They were working at a time when there were precious few workplace pension schemes, and the notion of affordable private pensions for the lower paid didn't exist.

Child benefit as it is now didn't exist: Family Allowance was paid for the second (and subsequent) children. School finished at 15 (or younger), even with grants further education was beyond the means of many, and those born in 1939 or earlier did National Service.

As for the 'fringe benefits' received by some pensioners: while the over 60s in London and other big cities get a good deal with subsidised local transport, for those in rural areas a bus pass is meaningless if there is no bus.

Outside the capital we don't have free museums and the like - our 'local' museum charges £6 for concessions, the art gallery is £9. The local swimming pool is £4.95. By comparison if I lived in London the museums and galleries would be free and the swim £3.50 (Queen Mother pool, Victoria).

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

posted by Karl LB
quote:
I didn't sneer at anyone. I merely pointed out where HB ends up.
Except it doesn't - unless the tenant agrees for the rent to go direct to the Landlord the tenant gets the LHA (no longer HB) and IME frequently it goes no further. Yes, you can go direct to Housing but be prepared for them not to speak to you - you have to prove that no rent has been paid for at least 3 months (often 6 or more) before they'll consider direct payments and local authorities won't tackle the arrears, nor will they prosecute to recover the benefit that has been pocketed by the tenant.

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is not preposterous: when you consider that most of today's pensioners - certainly the males - have been paying since the beginning of the NI system. They were working at a time when there were precious few workplace pension schemes, and the notion of affordable private pensions for the lower paid didn't exist.

That makes no difference, as you said above. Pensions are paid out of current contribution of working people, not past ones.

quote:
Child benefit as it is now didn't exist: Family Allowance was paid for the second (and subsequent) children. School finished at 15 (or younger), even with grants further education was beyond the means of many, and those born in 1939 or earlier did National Service.
Free university education
Lots of jobs, even for those without qualifications
Free dental and other healthcare

Nobody, before or since, has had it so good.

quote:
As for the 'fringe benefits' received by some pensioners: while the over 60s in London and other big cities get a good deal with subsidised local transport, for those in rural areas a bus pass is meaningless if there is no bus.
My parents live outside of London, but not in a rural area. They get 10 min buses in 3 different directions.

The number of people living in rural areas are vanishingly small. Even admitting that their lives might not have kept up with everyone else's, that still means a very high percentage of pensioners have access to free travel.

quote:
Outside the capital we don't have free museums and the like - our 'local' museum charges £6 for concessions, the art gallery is £9. The local swimming pool is £4.95. By comparison if I lived in London the museums and galleries would be free and the swim £3.50 (Queen Mother pool, Victoria).
That depends on where you live. If you live in Birmingham, you'd have free museums, reduced cost swimming, etc and so on.

Ultimately, if you don't like the things you are given, then move.

[ 04. March 2014, 12:52: Message edited by: pydseybare ]

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Solly:
quote:
I doubt if starving people would go to Citizens Advice. There are probably lots of other crisis situations where Citizens Advice wouldn't be much use.
But you're not sure are you because you have never seen any starving people? Where are they all? Actually we are often the first port of call for just about any crisis situation.

Where are they all?

I would suggest asking GPs and primary school teachers what they're seeing.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
The introduction of ATOS by Labour was indeed a scandal, but given that Labour were Conservatives in disguise by then it's not a huge surprise sadly.

'Was indeed a scandal' and yet I don't remember the bishops writing concerned articles in the Guardian. Or indeed when people are in the welfare trap and penalised by high marginal rates of tax if they go back to work.

This may be a rather cynical and jaded view, but I've gained the impression that IOBITDI: It's Only Bad If Tories Do It. Then the banners and marches and the articles come out, otherwise it's just 'oh yeah, that was bad'.

A too cynical view, perhaps, but it makes me think that in some quarters the main concern is bashing the Tory Party and concern for the poor is secondary.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Yep. Stop declaring people fit for work when they aren't.

Who gets to decide what constitutes "fit for work"?

quote:
Don't stop people's benefits leaving them with fuck all to live on.
I agree that there should be a bare minimum amount of benefit. I suspect we differ on how much that should buy.

quote:
Stop demonising the unemployed and low paid.
The problem there is that a lot of people resent the fact that an appreciable percentage of the work they are doing every day whether they like it or not is done for the benefit of people who don't even have to get out of bed if they don't want to. There's an element of "why should I slog my guts out when they don't have to".

Bankers, CEOs and the like still have to go to work and earn their big salaries, and the ones who are rich enough to not have to work don't tend to take much out of the benefits pot to fund their lifestyles. So the same dynamic isn't there with them.

quote:
Increase taxes on people who can actually afford them instead of taking money away from people who can't.
Translation: make the people who are slogging their guts out pay even more so that the ones who stay home all day can have more at their expense.

quote:
Have more people tackling the massive tax avoidance problem than the much smaller benefit fraud issue instead of the other way round.
We can - and should - do both.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Largely misleading and vindictive tripe. Oh, and kale used to be grown as cattle-feed - people (poor people) started to eat it during the last two world wars.

That's a pretty good conservative parody though. I'm not sure why he is critiquing her for staying at home to look after her child, or then working hard and making something of themselves, after all you'd assume conservatives would be in favour of those things.

quote:

Bankers, CEOs and the like still have to go to work and earn their big salaries, and the ones who are rich enough to not have to work don't tend to take much out of the benefits pot to fund their lifestyles.

Bailing out an entire sector from the public purse is also a form of welfare.

[ 04. March 2014, 13:14: Message edited by: chris stiles ]

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

You saw the charts Marvin; an "appreciable sum" doesn't go to people who "don't have to get out of bed" - the lion's share is actually in-work benefits and pensions. Moreover, if you "don't get out of bed" these days your benefit would be sanctioned away from you; God alone knows how L'Organist's relative gets away with it given some of the stories that come my way. It's exactly this "I'm paying a fortune in tax to support feckless lazy unemployed people who can't be arsed" crap that needs addressing, and it's exactly what I mean by "demonisation".

Maybe if we tackled tax avoidance we'd not need to increase anyone's taxes, but if we can't I'd sooner see the money coming from people who can afford it than from people who can't.

[ 04. March 2014, 13:15: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
Oh, and kale used to be grown as cattle-feed - people (poor people) started to eat it during the last two world wars.

Isn't Littlejohn's point that today kale is a largely middle-class (or, rather, a particular kind of middle class) person's food, regardless of who might have eaten it in the past?
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Isn't Littlejohn's point that today kale is a largely middle-class (or, rather, a particular kind of middle class) person's food, regardless of who might have eaten it in the past?

In London, maybe. Elsewhere not so much. So I don't think he has much of a point, apart from catering to the nastier tendency of humanity - a kind of slightly more upmarket Katy Hopkins.

[ 04. March 2014, 13:24: Message edited by: chris stiles ]

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
You saw the charts Marvin; an "appreciable sum" doesn't go to people who "don't have to get out of bed" - the lion's share is actually in-work benefits and pensions.

Technically, pensioners don't have to get out of bed if they don't want to. As that is far and away the largest portion of the benefits pot, maybe it should be means-tested?

To be honest, a lot of my anger at this is coming from the shit time I'm having at work right now. I really envy people who get to stay at home and have the State pay for everything, especially as the likelihood of me getting any kind of state pension if/when my turn comes around is tiny.

Of course, if things carry on the way they are there's a chance I'll be signed off for a stress-related health problem at some point. So woo - I guess I may get what I want after all. At least briefly.

quote:
Moreover, if you "don't get out of bed" these days your benefit would be sanctioned away from you;
Good. If I can't do it I don't see why anyone else should.

quote:
God alone knows how L'Organist's relative gets away with it given some of the stories that come my way. It's exactly this "I'm paying a fortune in tax to support feckless lazy unemployed people who can't be arsed" crap that needs addressing, and it's exactly what I mean by "demonisation".
There are plenty of stories on both sides.

quote:
Maybe if we tackled tax avoidance we'd not need to increase anyone's taxes, but if we can't I'd sooner see the money coming from people who can afford it than from people who can't.
I already think I pay enough, thanks.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016