homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The church has no choice but to act over poverty (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The church has no choice but to act over poverty
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
Presumably, though, one wouldn't apply for a job one knows one cannot do (or would at least negotiate one's hours with one's manager)?

1. You don't have much choice - you have to apply for jobs, even unsuitable ones, to keep your benefits. Imagine how that must annoy those recruiting to get hundreds of job apps from people not qualified for the role.

A mate of mine was on jobseekers - as there are so few jobs where he is he MUST apply for nationally advertised ones. He's a great guy, caring, kind, honest, resourceful and very reliable but has only one O level. He was told to apply for senior sales manager jobs -- he's never done it, he doesn't drive because he's partially sighted. I know because he was doing that when he stayed with me.

My own experience of signing on is that when you start claiming you sit down with your adviser and decide on the parameters of your job search. This includes the travel time (which in my experience has been 60 - 90 minutes).

It's not been like that for quite a while now - you don't get a choice as to choosing travel times.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Presumably, though, one wouldn't apply for a job one knows one cannot do (or would at least negotiate one's hours with one's manager)?

1. You don't have much choice - you have to apply for jobs, even unsuitable ones, to keep your benefits. Imagine how that must annoy those recruiting to get hundreds of job apps from people not qualified for the role.

A mate of mine was on jobseekers - as there are so few jobs where he is he MUST apply for nationally advertised ones. He's a great guy, caring, kind, honest, resourceful and very reliable but has only one O level. He was told to apply for senior sales manager jobs -- he's never done it, he doesn't drive because he's partially sighted. I know because he was doing that when he stayed with me.

My own experience of signing on is that when you start claiming you sit down with your adviser and decide on the parameters of your job search. This includes the travel time (which in my experience has been 60 - 90 minutes).

It's not been like that for quite a while now - you don't get a choice as to choosing travel times.
That was my experience within the last six months. Ok, the adviser may have just said 'sixty minutes' and I may have said 'sure', but that's hardly an onerous commuting time.

[ 06. March 2014, 09:12: Message edited by: Anglican't ]

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You still don't get a choice and cannot negotiate though, and actually the longer you stay on JSA the longer your potential commuting times become - the jobcentre will increase it to 90 mins, 2 hours, 3 hours as you go.

And saying that an hour's commute isn't a big deal isn't the point when it's literally impossible for someone to commute to that job because of transport issues.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And saying that an hour's commute isn't a big deal isn't the point when it's literally impossible for someone to commute to that job because of transport issues.

If a commute is literally impossible then it isn't a one-hour commute, surely?

Or are you talking about a specific event that causes a commutable distance to be impossible? If that's the case, then almost any commuter is affected by this. Heavy snow, wind, rain, strikes, can all make the easiest of commutes difficult. Thankfully, they tend to be short-lived.

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

If a commute is literally impossible then it isn't a one-hour commute, surely?

Or are you talking about a specific event that causes a commutable distance to be impossible? If that's the case, then almost any commuter is affected by this. Heavy snow, wind, rain, strikes, can all make the easiest of commutes difficult. Thankfully, they tend to be short-lived.

I think we're circling back to the point that a car is not necessarily a luxury item.

The judgementalism that goes on in this area is quite spectacular but let's just follow this through:

1) YOU are poor
2) YOU must get a job
3) Oh and SELL YOUR CAR - as you shouldn't be running a car on the benefits I PAY FOR
4) YOU MUST TAKE THIS JOB on offer
5) YOU CAN'T get to it on time without a car
6) WELL THEN, you made a bad choice in selling your car...

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thing is, suppose you negotiate an hour. That would mean you could apply for the S Anston job if you had a car. You couldn't if you didn't. Which was my point - getting rid of the car reduces the pool of jobs you can apply for.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

If you could negotiate the hour it would be straight-forward catching the bus to South Anston, wouldn't it? (Or have I missed something?)
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you could negotiate the hour it would be straight-forward catching the bus to South Anston, wouldn't it? (Or have I missed something?)

Yeah. That it takes an hour and a half.

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

What's wrong with that?
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
quote:

What's wrong with that?
The fact that you'd negotiated an hour's commute as being reasonable. Point is, it takes longer, and generally costs more, to do any given commute by public transport than by car. There comes a point, whether it be half an hour, two hours, four hours; £10 in fares, £50 in fares, £100 in fares, whatever, where a commute will be too long or too expensive to be reasonable. That point will come sooner by public transport. Therefore not having a car restricts the number of jobs you can apply for, because there will be some jobs that are commutable by car but not by public transport.

How hard is this concept?

[ 06. March 2014, 12:33: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
I think we're circling back to the point that a car is not necessarily a luxury item.

Again.

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
alienfromzog:
quote:
The judgementalism that goes on in this area is quite spectacular but let's just follow this through:

1) YOU are poor
2) YOU must get a job
3) Oh and SELL YOUR CAR - as you shouldn't be running a car on the benefits I PAY FOR

Indeed, but let's not forget these either:

7) SELL YOUR CLOTHES - because poor people have no business having better clothes than Hard-Working Taxpayers, even if selling a sackful of clothes (if you can find anybody willing to buy them) only gets you about £5 which is barely enough for a day's food and won't help very much... and when you finally get a job you'll have to pay considerably more than £5 to replace them.
8) Oh wait - you can't get a job because you don't have any suitable clothes for a job interview? WELL THEN, maybe you shouldn't have got rid of your office clothes. Or your makeup, if female, because it's a well-known fact that women attending job interviews are more likely to get the job if they are wearing makeup.

I don't usually wear makeup, so last time I had a job interview I had to buy it specially. It cost about £50 for a basic going-to-the-office look. Just as well I wasn't on unemployment benefit at the time, isn't it, or I wouldn't have been able to eat that week.

I did get the job, though.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
alienfromzog:
quote:

1) YOU are poor
2) YOU must get a job

Indeed, but let's not forget these either:

7) SELL YOUR CLOTHES - because poor people have no business having better clothes than Hard-Working Taxpayers, even if selling a sackful of clothes (if you can find anybody willing to buy them) only gets you about £5 which is barely enough for a day's food and won't help very much... and when you finally get a job you'll have to pay considerably more than £5 to replace them.
8) Oh wait - you can't get a job because you don't have any suitable clothes for a job interview? WELL THEN, maybe you shouldn't have got rid of your office clothes. Or your makeup, if female, because it's a well-known fact that women attending job interviews are more likely to get the job if they are wearing makeup.

I don't usually wear makeup, so last time I had a job interview I had to buy it specially. It cost about £50 for a basic going-to-the-office look. Just as well I wasn't on unemployment benefit at the time, isn't it, or I wouldn't have been able to eat that week.

I did get the job, though.

Off-topic, but you were shopping in the wrong places if you had to spend £50 on a basic makeup look! I am a self-confessed makeup addict and my current favourite lipstick costs £1.99 in Superdrug and has a lovely texture. You can get good makeup cheaply quite easily now. Mascara, blusher, powder and a my-lips-but-better lipstick is more than enough for the office and you can get all of that for well under £20, probably under £10 depending on what brands you have available. Boots Natural Collection has a permanent 3 for £5 offer on and I love their blusher.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<cost of makeup tangent> Yes, I probably could have got it cheaper, but as I don't buy it regularly I have no real incentive to search out the best bargains. I'll bear your suggestions in mind if I have to buy any more, though.

I think I still have some blusher that I bought ten years ago...

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
<cost of makeup tangent> Yes, I probably could have got it cheaper, but as I don't buy it regularly I have no real incentive to search out the best bargains. I'll bear your suggestions in mind if I have to buy any more, though.

I think I still have some blusher that I bought ten years ago...

It wasn't meant as criticism at all by the way, but there are some good budget beauty blogs out there (though make sure they are British based as US drugstore makeup brands are different). Pound shops often have (perfectly good) end of line stock in.

And eek at 10yo blusher! Makeup actually does go off although powder formulas last the longest. Actually mascara having a 3-month shelf life is why I always buy cheap mascara, expensive ones aren't worth it. And get some eyelash curlers - even pound shop ones make a huge difference.

-ends tangent-

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, let's end the tangent.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

-ends tangent-

Well, it does touch on a topic that is germane to this thread. After all, being a savvy consumer is also made much easier if you have access to websites, blogs etc. and that's far easier if you have access to a computer and broadband - which is in turn is much easier if you own a computer yourself.

Not to mention the ability to edit your CV/cover letter etc - all of which make it easier to find and apply for jobs. Presumably the computer is something you should sell off once unemployed though.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

What all these people who are blithely saying 'if you're unemployed you can just sell all your belongings to make ends meet' fail to realise, though, is that a lot of second-hand stuff has very little market value. Of course you could sell your computer - but as Chris says, that's going to make your job-hunting difficult if not impossible, to say nothing of your banking if you have an online account. You could sell your telly; you might get £50-£100 for it. That's not going to pay your living expenses for long. You won't get much (if anything) for your clothes; thanks to Primark and the various charity shops, clothes are so cheap that most people will not be interested in yours unless you have a wardrobe full of designer outfits. You could sell your house, but it takes several months even if you're lucky enough to get a buyer immediately and it costs money - and you'll need somewhere else to live when you've done it, so you probably won't be much better off unless you are moving from an area where house prices are very high to somewhere where they're considerably lower. And by the time you've sold the house you might have got another job anyway.
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes. Unemployed applicants aren't exactly in a strong negotiating position.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

What's wrong with that?
Indeed - for four years I commuted from the north of Leeds to the Pennines by bus/train/another bus And back again every day.

In my last job it took me one hour across the city every day, each way.

Trouble is that buses and trains are not very reliable. Teachers can't be late when there is a tutor group crawling up the walls, almost literally, awaiting registration.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:

Yes. Unemployed applicants aren't exactly in a strong negotiating position.
Obviously it was stated long ago in this thread that it is not actually possibile to get to this job by public transport in time to start work.

However lets stay on this hypothetical situation and factor in the person being a single parent. Clearly an hour and a half commute adds 3 hours on to the working day. So not only does the person have to find enough money for bus fare out of their wage, but also cost of childcare.

A childcare survey found that Childminders who pick up children after school charge on average £72.78.
per week Daycare Survey

However, clearly the person should stop 'defrauding the system', stop claiming any benefits, spend no time with the child and accept any job however unsuitable.

--------------------
Just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, the so called advisor set my daughter up to commute across the whole of Scotland as the parameter of her travel time.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:

-ends tangent-

Well, it does touch on a topic that is germane to this thread. After all, being a savvy consumer is also made much easier if you have access to websites, blogs etc. and that's far easier if you have access to a computer and broadband - which is in turn is much easier if you own a computer yourself.

Not to mention the ability to edit your CV/cover letter etc - all of which make it easier to find and apply for jobs. Presumably the computer is something you should sell off once unemployed though.

Free computer access in public libraries. That's what I used.

--------------------

claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

-ends tangent-

Yes but only for an hour and obviously if you don't live near enough and have no car the cost of getting there is also an issue

--------------------
Just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Libraries are being closed left, right and centre.

But if one lives in a city or town then usually there is one within walking distance.

If not, then where a job seeker signs on is hopefully also where a library Might be. Only if it's a small town then the library will not have enough computers...and as mentioned there is usually a time limit.
Which is where community based job clubs are really great, as hopefully there is not only an independent/ community job club in the town...hopefully the Job Centre signposts as well.

There is however a limit to the number of jobs that people can find and apply for while waiting for the x4 daily 446 back to ones village....

Truly, I now actually believe that policy makers have NO idea about the number of people who live in rural areas, nor of the different lifestyle that goes with living...oh I don't know, let's say Out Of London? (or any other major city in the uk)

Sorry, that was esp snarky and we're in Lent now, but it stays in...

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by claret10:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-ends tangent-

Yes but only for an hour and obviously if you don't live near enough and have no car the cost of getting there is also an issue
It really depends where you are - where my parents live, you get unlimited free internet at the local libraries and just pay for printing.

Obviously there is a big problem with library internet use varying so much across the country. I have never lived in a rural area so don't know about those issues, which I'm sure are big - I was very fortunate and computer access was never an issue for me (when I was under 21 and in homeless young persons' hostels I could use college internet and the communal computers in the hostel).

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

I think we're circling back to the point that a car - sorry I mean, computer with internet connection - is not necessarily a luxury item.

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by claret10:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Stiles:

It really depends where you are - where my parents live, you get unlimited free internet at the local libraries and just pay for printing.

Obviously there is a big problem with library internet use varying so much across the country. I have never lived in a rural area so don't know about those issues, which I'm sure are big - I was very fortunate and computer access was never an issue for me (when I was under 21 and in homeless young persons' hostels I could use college internet and the communal computers in the hostel).

Heck, these days in the US just finding an open public library, much less one with free internet and printer hook-ups is a daunting task. Municipal budgets have been slashed so deeply that in many communities the libraries have been closed or hours are severely limited. You'd probably have better luck walking around a wealthy suburb trying to find someone with an open wifi hub.

[code. That took me 20 minutes and conversion into Word plus adding colour to sort out...]

[ 07. March 2014, 05:22: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One aspect of homelessness that doesn't get much mention when we start talking about selling off your stuff is the element of denial. Most of the newly homeless I work with have a very hard time adjusting mentally to the construct that they may be homeless for a very long time. They cling to their "stuff" as an anchor to their past life. We often have clients who are sleeping on the street-- but paying $20 to $50/month for a storage facility somewhere filled with the remnants of their past life. This may go on for months and months, even years. They would indeed be better off selling the stuff or even walking away from it and saving up the $50 a month so they can get into an apt, even if they have nothing to sit on.

But hope dies hard. Memories of one's former life die hard. It's hard not to believe that it will all turn around tomorrow. And until we've been there I don't know that any of us would do any different.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes, I realise some people are able to do that. Around here - in a reasonably large university town - the public access computers are only available by the hour and have to be pre-booked, they are also broken quite often.

I was just anticipating the argument I sometimes see in these sort of discussions, that if someone is able to access the discussion then they must have a .. *shock* COMPUTER .. and are therefore living in the lap of luxury.

I wonder what standard of living for the unemployed - short of being in a poorhouse - would actually be acceptable to some of these people.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

cliffdweller:
quote:
But hope dies hard. Memories of one's former life die hard. It's hard not to believe that it will all turn around tomorrow. And until we've been there I don't know that any of us would do any different.
[Votive]
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, I realise some people are able to do that. Around here - in a reasonably large university town - the public access computers are only available by the hour and have to be pre-booked, they are also broken quite often.

I was just anticipating the argument I sometimes see in these sort of discussions, that if someone is able to access the discussion then they must have a .. *shock* COMPUTER .. and are therefore living in the lap of luxury.

I wonder what standard of living for the unemployed - short of being in a poorhouse - would actually be acceptable to some of these people.

Yes, people really do not understand the extent to which computers, internet access, phone access, a car etc are necessities and not luxuries. People can live without those things if they CHOOSE to do so but it's very difficult to live if you are forced not to have those things.

--------------------

Sleepwalker
Shipmate
# 15343

- Posted      Profile for Sleepwalker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
Originally posted by Sleepwalker:
.... I saw an interesting interview on the BBC last week with a woman who apparently was one of these people. She had a partner and a couple of children. She also had a house which was well furnished and her children were decently clothed. And she had a car. ...

And if her house was a mess, and her furniture was trashed, and her kids were in filthy rags, and her car was on blocks in the front yard, would that be equally "interesting"? How, exactly, should poor people dress their kids and maintain their homes? Badly or well? Because it sure looks like whatever they do, they will still be criticized by the privileged.
Privileged? You think I'm privileged? I'm unemployed myself - for the second time in 12 months. I work really, really hard to get work and keep getting it but none of it is permanent. So now my car (17 years old) is back off the road because to keep and run a car in my country - the UK - is expensive (unlike, perhaps, elsewhere in the world). I make a SORN (for off the road vehicles) and cancel my car insurance, because I cannot afford to run a car and claim benefits. Not unless I want to go without food, and unlike the woman in the news item I watched which was the original basis for my first post, I prefer not to starve.
Posts: 267 | From: somewhere other than here | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016