homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Universalism: The case against (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Universalism: The case against
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
That is called shaping a god in ones own image rather than accepting God for what he actually is, i.e. the god of Me instead of the God of Scripture.

I think that's a rather unfair and unkind statement. We all have our own image of God, which can only be seen from our own pov, as we have no other.

There isn't a God of Scripture as far as I can see.

Scripture has many, many Gods - some totally unbelievable and some very tyrannical and unloving.

I would far rather look to Jesus than try and find how God actually 'is' from scripture.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
Of course it all boils down once more to Chesterton's observation about Christian ideals (that is actual Christian ideals) not being tried and found wanting but rather being found difficult and left untried.

That's the first time I've seen the eternal damnation of a significant subset of the human race described as a "Christian ideal".

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dubious Thomas:
I have a personal "history" with this -- originally, I was going to "narrate" it here. But nobody is interested in my spiritual autobiography, I'm sure! So, I'll leave it at this. [Smile]

I'm interested, and I don't suppose I'm the only one. [Smile]

Nen - avid lurker on this thread and grateful to everyone who's posting on it.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

- Posted      Profile for Dubious Thomas         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
That is called shaping a god in ones own image rather than accepting God for what he actually is, i.e. the god of Me instead of the God of Scripture. Of course it all boils down once more to Chesterton's observation about Christian ideals (that is actual Christian ideals) not being tried and found wanting but rather being found difficult and left untried.

This charge that universalists are merely shaping a god in their own image is getting tiresome. That's not what we're doing. We're arguing that the God Who actually does exist is being misrepresented. We're saying that God has been stuck with a rotten PR department!

We don't have unmediated access to God via Scripture. The "God of Scripture," who allegedly trumps the God of universalism, is a product of fallible human interpretation (never mind the fallibility of the biblical writers, whose collective portrait of God is full of contradictions). Once that fact is accepted, then it's possible to see that every human description of God depends on our very human preconceptions, assumptions, wishes, hopes, etc. There's no escape from it until each of us faces God directly.

The God of damnationist Christianity is a construct of human imagination just as much (more!) than the God of universalist Christianity. The crucial difference is that the damnationist God has to be justified with statements that always come down to something like this (when stripped of their pietistic covers): "Sure, He's a son-of-a-bitch; but he's the only God we've got! Submit to him and tell him how wonderful He is! Or else!" (See my reference above to the six-year-old in the "Twilight Zone" episode: "That's real good, Anthony! Real good! We all love you Anthony! We sure do!")

All things being equal, I'll stick with a God for Whom I don't have to make apologies ... and I believe that I can show that this God is the "God of Scripture," and not a being created in my own image.

--------------------
שפך חמתך אל־הגוים אשר לא־ידעוך
Psalm 79:6

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

- Posted      Profile for Dubious Thomas         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
That is called shaping a god in ones own image rather than accepting God for what he actually is, i.e. the god of Me instead of the God of Scripture.

I think that's a rather unfair and unkind statement. We all have our own image of God, which can only be seen from our own pov, as we have no other.

Scripture has many, many Gods - some totally unbelievable and some very tyrannical and unloving.

I would far rather look to Jesus than try and find how God actually 'is' from scripture.

[Overused] Elegant simplicity! Far better than the pompous bluster of my response to CL! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:
I have a personal "history" with this -- originally, I was going to "narrate" it here. But nobody is interested in my spiritual autobiography, I'm sure! So, I'll leave it at this. [Smile]

I'm interested, and I don't suppose I'm the only one. [Smile]

Nen - avid lurker on this thread and grateful to everyone who's posting on it.

Sorry -- triple posting!

Well, okay ... but I'm going to post to the thread about "choosing" to believe, where I think the details are relevant! I'll "see" you there!

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by CL:

The trouble is, Jesus spoke a lot about judgement, hell, the need to be "saved" etc. He spoke of those who are worthy of the resurrection (implying some are not); he said calling someone a fool made you in danger of the fires of hell; he said if sin is a problem deal with it, however harshly, because it's better enter the kingdom of God maimed than be thrown into hell; he told a parable about the sheep and the goats and said the goats would be thrown into hell for not feeding, clothing him etc; he warned people who reported an atrocity by Pilate that unless they repented, they'd perish soon; he spoke regularly of the need for repentance - in fact, this was his very first message.

It's actually quite hard, IMHO, to make Jesus into a universalist (as much as you can make anyone in the Bible fit into our theological categories) - probably much harder than, say, Paul. Now, whether Jesus, despite all this, believed that His ministry, death and resurrection would be sufficient to save everyone (to bring universalism into effect, I suppose you could say) is up for debate, I guess - I hope it does. But the Jesus doesn't appear, to me, to only offer a view of "the afterlife" that's 100% compatible with universalism.

And if we're not going to go with the picture of Jesus in Scripture, then where and to what are we going to go?

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
The trouble is, Jesus spoke a lot about judgement, hell, the need to be "saved" etc. He spoke of those who are worthy of the resurrection (implying some are not); he said calling someone a fool made you in danger of the fires of hell; he said if sin is a problem deal with it, however harshly, because it's better enter the kingdom of God maimed than be thrown into hell; he told a parable about the sheep and the goats and said the goats would be thrown into hell for not feeding, clothing him etc ...

He did. He exaggerated and used stories, parables and hyperbole much of the time.

He used strong language against those who commit evil, of course he did. There is nothing good about committing atrocities. Of course repentance is needed.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
And if we're not going to go with the picture of Jesus in Scripture, then where and to what are we going to go?

We're going to go to Jesus Himself. As Christians, we have unmediated access to Him. Jesus doesn't exist and live in "the picture of Jesus in Scripture," and a person whose relationship is with that picture is an idolater.

This means that our interpretation of what Scripture says about Jesus has to be guided by our relationship with Jesus Himself. Jesus said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me" (Matthew 28:18). He didn't say, "All authority ... has been given to Scripture." (By the way, my appeal to Scripture here for Jesus' words shows that I fully affirm the importance and derived authority of Scripture.)

Think about the fact that most "damnationists" (but not IngoB!) end up saying, "I'd really like for universalism to be true; I hope it is; but there's this problem with what Scripture says."

Get a clue, brethren and sistren [Biased] ! That deep desire for all to be saved, all to be redeemed, all to be made whole, is coming from Jesus, Who lives in your hearts ... and Scripture itself bears witness with the witness of our spirits:

"For God so loved the world, etc." (John 3:16-17).... The world! Not just a few people in it!

"Therefore just as one man's trespass led to condemnation for all, so one man's act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all" (Romans 5:18).... All means all!

"God our Savior, who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth" (1 Timothy 2:3-4).... Everyone! Not just some!

Scripture doesn't just "dump" an answer on us. It has to be interpreted. It's like a puzzle, and we have to figure out how to put the pieces together. We can put the pieces together to create a picture of millions of people damned for eternity ... and then we have to ask ourselves how that picture makes us feel about God, Jesus, ourselves, and other people. Or we can put the pieces together to create a picture of the ultimate victory of God's love (1 Corinthians 15:28) ... and, again, we ask ourselves how this picture makes us feel about God, Jesus, ourselves, and other people. One of these pictures will be the result of God working through us. The other will be our own human creation.

Which is which?

Stejjie, if you're interested in learning more about a Bible-affirming "evangelical" defense of universalism, I would recommend books and articles by Robin Parry and Thomas Talbott, and the website, "The Evangelical Universalist". Unlike Rob Bell, Parry and Talbott both have serious academic credentials and have engaged in robust debates with well-known evangelical "damnationists."

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing is ...

The God of everything/everywhere/everywhen is continuous with the God of Scripture, or how do we form any knowledge of him?

Our own internal experiences are just as subject to error as our readings of Scripture can be, so I hesitate to take them as a guide. It is possible to be sincerely wrong.

I really prefer to hedge my bets and let Scripture correct my personal preferences. Particularly when Jesus showed such a high view of it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Boogie and Dubious Thomas, for the replies and the links - I will reply fully - honest!

Just briefly, though, I'd agree broadly (again) with Lamb Chopped's post: I have more faith in seeing God's inspiration in Scripture than in my thoughts and experiences - though I don't discount those entirely. But will reply more fully, later.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

Oh, I really should be doing something that brings in the greenbacks! But ....

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
The thing is ...

The God of everything/everywhere/everywhen is continuous with the God of Scripture, or how do we form any knowledge of him?

I agree with you about the continuity. That's essential to the argument I'm making. What I would emphasize is that Scripture isn't our only source of knowledge of God -- as Scripture itself repeatedly testifies.

quote:
Our own internal experiences are just as subject to error as our readings of Scripture can be, so I hesitate to take them as a guide. It is possible to be sincerely wrong.
I agree. But our internal experiences are not separable in character/quality from our readings of Scripture. Both are human activities, bounded by our human fallibility. I know I could be utterly wrong about my universalist interpretation of Scripture. I only wish that more "damnationists" would express the same recognition of the possible fallibility of their interpretations of Scripture. When someone challenges universalism with a statement that begins, "But the Bible says...." I have to respond, "No, you say that the Bible says...."

The New Testament is replete with examples of Jesus and the Apostles butting heads with people who were quite convinced that their interpretations of the Bible amounted to what the Bible actually said. I can well imagine a Pharisee saying to Jesus: "Cut the crap! The Torah says not to work on the Sabbath! Harvesting grain, even a little, is work! End of discussion!"

quote:
I really prefer to hedge my bets and let Scripture correct my personal preferences. Particularly when Jesus showed such a high view of it.
I'm a risk-taker! I'm willing to think the best of God and to risk being wrong. If I have to, I'll stand (more likely, kneel) before God and say, "I'm truly sorry that I thought you were more loving and merciful than you turned out to be! But ... in my defense, all that talk about love and forgiveness gave me the impression...."

But the issue here isn't just about "personal preferences." How do you know that your interpretation of Scripture is right? Maybe those "personal preferences" are the right understanding of Scripture, while what you think is the right interpretation is just human tradition you're afraid to challenge? (This is a general "you," not you, personally, Lamb Chopped!)

I could say a lot more about the problems involved in talking about Jesus' view of "Scripture" (where we have a complete cover-to-cover Bible in mind) ... but I really am out of time and energy....

And, as you know, we really do have very different views about the nature of the Bible. I appreciate that you're unable to disagree with the Bible, given what you believe about it. However, I am both able and willing to reject certain things the Bible says -- mostly in favor of other things it says!

--------------------

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My question for universalists who have a more-or-less traditional Christian view of what salvation (but disagree with the "traditional" argument as to what we know about who will be saved) is, "What did/does Christ save us from?" I don't believe that anyone ever could deserve to be put in an inescapable state of suffering forever. So saying that we are all born deserving eternal damnation, but Christ saves us all, doesn't really make sense to me.
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
My question for universalists who have a more-or-less traditional Christian view of what salvation (but disagree with the "traditional" argument as to what we know about who will be saved) is, "What did/does Christ save us from?" I don't believe that anyone ever could deserve to be put in an inescapable state of suffering forever. So saying that we are all born deserving eternal damnation, but Christ saves us all, doesn't really make sense to me.

Death. See Roman 7:24-25; 1 Corinthians 15:26.

I'm tying out the brisk one-line approach to posting! Obviously, at some point I'm going to need to come back and "unpack" this.

--------------------

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Death. See Roman 7:24-25; 1 Corinthians 15:26.

I'm tying out the brisk one-line approach to posting! Obviously, at some point I'm going to need to come back and "unpack" this.

But what kind of death? The spiritual death that people who do a lot of bad things can live in in this life? Annihilation when we die? Or an afterlife that is equivalent to a living death? How is this last option different than eternal damnation?
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

Sorry, stonespring, I need to ask some questions back: Do you see your identity as a Christian as involving "salvation"? If so, does this mean salvation from something? If so, from what?

I think, if I have a clearer sense of where you're coming from, that I'll be able to give a clearer answer to your questions.

In the meantime, I'll say that I've come to the view that there is no fundamental conflict between belief in eternal conscious torment of the unredeemed and universalist soteriology. If someone insists to me that the unredeemed will suffer eternal conscious torment, I can nod politely and say, "Sure. Okay. But there aren't going to be any unredeemed." I made this point in response to IngoB "ages" ago in this thread. He appears to think that the threat of eternal conscious suffering isn't real unless at least one person ends up in Hell. I simply disagree. The principle that our eternal well-being depends entirely on the saving work of Jesus -- without which we would all, without exception, be in Hell -- is quite sufficient without "an example" being made of any ordinary human being.

Once in a while, I feel it's necessary to reference the Gospel According to Doctor Who. [Big Grin] Here's the great climactic scene from "The Doctor Dances" -- in the one and only Christopher Eccleston season.

If this scene is taken as a parable, God is portrayed by two characters: He's Nancy (who is asked, "Are you my mummy?") and he's the Doctor.

"Yes, I AM your mummy!" ... "Everybody lives!"

--------------------

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

I see salvation as meaning a process that I think may have began at the first moment of creation that leads to the end of all suffering, all wrong, all hate, etc., and anything that separates creatures from God. I just don't understand how anyone ever didn't have access to salvation. So everything Christ did in the Gospels must have affected all human history starting with the creation itself. The thing that I have the hardest time understanding is the Fall - as I said earlier I think it may just describe the transition from being instinctual animals (who are sinless) to being free-willed humans (who sin unless they let God help them (knowingly or not)).
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
I see salvation as meaning a process that I think may have began at the first moment of creation that leads to the end of all suffering, all wrong, all hate, etc., and anything that separates creatures from God.

Oh! Okay. This helps a lot. Your description of salvation seems perfectly compatible with what Scripture says, including the two passages I references a couple of posts back: "anything that separates creatures from God" seems to sum it up well.

quote:
I just don't understand how anyone ever didn't have access to salvation. So everything Christ did in the Gospels must have affected all human history starting with the creation itself.
Right! The key thing to keep in mind here is that God is outside of time as we experience it. God simply IS. So, what we experience as having taken place in time and space just simply is for God. That means that (from our temporal point of view) Jesus had already been born, lived, died, etc. and accomplished our salvation, before the universe was created. Revelation 13:8 refers to Jesus as "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." 1 Peter 1:20 says that Jesus was "chosen before the creation of the world."

So, yes, there has never been a "time" (for God) when you and I weren't "already" redeemed. But, we don't, ourselves, live in God's time. So, there is a time, in each human life, when that person isn't redeemed, when that person is separated from God. I can certainly identify what that time was for me.

quote:
The thing that I have the hardest time understanding is the Fall - as I said earlier I think it may just describe the transition from being instinctual animals (who are sinless) to being free-willed humans (who sin unless they let God help them (knowingly or not)).
I see the Fall as referring to each of our individual experiences. It's a paradigm about how we're each Adam (and/or Eve!). We each do what Adam did. That's what I think Paul is getting at in Romans 5:14: "Yet death exercised dominion from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sins were not like the transgression of Adam, who is a type of the one who was to come."

It's a myth, in the original, positive sense of that word: a metaphor in the form of a story. We'll misunderstand it if we take it literally, the way we'd misunderstand any metaphor, if we took it literally: "My love is a rose!" (Huh? You have a flower fetish? Sick!)

The Fall wasn't a "historical" event. It never happened at a particular moment in human history. It always happens.

So, to get back to your earlier question, we experience salvation as something to be achieved -- as getting from Point A to Point Z -- because of our temporal boundedness. But, it doesn't work that way at all for God, because God is "Point A and Point Z."

I'll add that the "neat" thing for me, to reflect on, is that I'm already in heaven, in God's "time," and I've always been in heaven, and always will be in heaven. I'm already with the loved ones I've "lost" and they're already with me -- and always have been.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
My question for universalists who have a more-or-less traditional Christian view of what salvation (but disagree with the "traditional" argument as to what we know about who will be saved) is, "What did/does Christ save us from?" I don't believe that anyone ever could deserve to be put in an inescapable state of suffering orever. So saying that we are alborn desrving eternal damnation, but Christ saves us all, doesn't really make sense to me.

Death. See Roman 7:24-25; 1 Corinthians 15:26.n

But what kind of death? The spiritual death that people who do a lot of bad things can live in in this life? Annihilation when we die? Or an afterlife that is equivalent to a living death? How is this last option different than eternal damnation?
I look at it sort of like the spiritual equivalent of thermodynamics. Any closed system will inevitably dissociate (ie decay) over time. This is the principle of entropy. Sin, (or, rather, what Paul calls the law of sin and death; the two are synonymous for him) is spiritual entropy, and because of it, the essential us-ness will gradually fade into the shadows of un-being in eternity. The death and resurrection of Christ recreates us as creatures unbound from the law of sin and death.

Of course, this is just an analogical way of looking at it - I'm not saying that this is a precise method, but I think it has the right "feel" in line with Paul's teaching in Romans 7 and 8.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I see salvation as meaning a process that I think may have began at the first moment of creation that leads to the end of all suffering, all wrong, all hate, etc., and anything that separates creatures from God.

This is how I see it too. The concept that salvation is a one-off event, a binary description of status, that people are either saved or damned, is, for me, alien to Scripture.

Paul talks about how "you have been saved" (Eph 2:8), "you are being saved" (1 Cor 15:2), and "you will be saved" (Romans 10:9). Salvation is not a one-off event, it is a process. I think the distinction that people sometimes make between salvation and sanctification is unhelpful. Sanctification is part of salvation.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes. The end of all suffering. All of it. But if Hell exists and is populated, then suffering still exists.

We are told that every knee will bow, that every tongue will confess, that every tear will be wiped away. We are told that the lion will lie down with the lamb, not that lions will be cast out of heaven in order to preserve paradise and provide retribution for their victims. We are told that God loves all of us and desires that we shall all be saved. We are told that God will labour ceaselessly to seek out the lost and bring them home. We are told that with God, all things are possible.

I cannot put all those things together and come to any conclusion other than that all shall indeed be saved.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's awesome, Marvin.

quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
We could argue again about the use of language the gospel writers chose. For me, the thing that is remarkable is that they had a whole raft of contemporary, unending-retributive-punishment words to choose from, eirgmon aidion, timoria adialepton, athanaton timorion (eternal imprisonment, unending torment, deathless torment). Instead, they (Jesus?) chose aionion kolasin, age-enduring discipline.

I'm surprised that this hasn't already come up on this thread. Those who claim that the plain words of Jesus talk of eternal punishment often overlook the liguistic arguement that he may have said no such thing. I have little doubt that those who die in need of correction may suffer for their sins. Perhaps Hitler has to suffer for every one of the 45 million deaths he's alleged to have caused. But even that could have an age-enduring limit. I'm not at all convinced that Jesus meant that punishments are eternal.
I'd not read this quote from Clement before, which I think puts the language distinction very well:
quote:
For there are partial corrections (padeiai) which are called chastisements (kolasis), which many of us who have been in transgression incur by falling away from the Lord’s people. But as children are chastised by their teacher, or their father, so are we by Providence. But God does not punish (timoria) for punishment (timoria) is retaliation for evil. He chastises, however, for good to those who are chastised collectively and individually.
How ironic that the only place timoria is used in the whole of Scripture is to describe the judgement of Christians, of the Church (Hebrews 10:29). Every other place in scripture, God's 'punishment' is chastisement, discipline - for the benefit of the disciplined, and that includes Hell.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks a lot for the above, goperryrevs. Can anyone provide or link to a counter-argument?

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's awesome, Marvin.

Awesome as in "a highly selective reading of the bible in order to confirm a strongly held prior opinion"?

quote:
I'd not read this quote from Clement before, which I think puts the language distinction very well:
quote:
For there are partial corrections (padeiai) which are called chastisements (kolasis), which many of us who have been in transgression incur by falling away from the Lord’s people. But as children are chastised by their teacher, or their father, so are we by Providence. But God does not punish (timoria) for punishment (timoria) is retaliation for evil. He chastises, however, for good to those who are chastised collectively and individually.
How ironic that the only place timoria is used in the whole of Scripture is to describe the judgement of Christians, of the Church (Hebrews 10:29). Every other place in scripture, God's 'punishment' is chastisement, discipline - for the benefit of the disciplined, and that includes Hell.
Since this one keeps coming up: it is plain false to say that there is some kind of scholarly agreement that "kolasis" in Koine Greek meant "discipline" as opposed to (retributive) punishment. Most of the standard reference works in fact translate "kolasis" as "punishment", see for example the list here.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
That's awesome, Marvin.

Awesome as in "a highly selective reading of the bible in order to confirm a strongly held prior opinion"?
Well, as far as I remember Marvin's previous thoughts on this subject, he seems to have changed his mind on it. I'm sure he can speak for himself, but I'd say his prior opinion was closer to yours, but has gradually shifted.

quote:
Since this one keeps coming up: it is plain false to say that there is some kind of scholarly agreement that "kolasis" in Koine Greek meant "discipline" as opposed to (retributive) punishment.

I am certainly no expert in Greek language. But the more I've read about it, the more I'm persuaded that it did. The distinction is there, made by Clement and others (not just modern day scholars). The article you linked to spends a lot of time (rightly, IMO), against an annhiliationist translation of "cut off", which comes from the pruning etymology of kolasis.
The reality of aionios kolasis being necessarily translated as "eternal punishment" is that it is entirely misleading. We have countless contemporary and biblical examples of aionios referring to a limited amount of time (even explicitly in relation to Gehenna / Hell!), and countless examples of kolasis referring to disciplinary punishment.

Even if aionios could at times be a euphemism for 'eternal' (it probably was), and even if kolasis could at times mean 'retributive punishment', it is very clear that they didn't have to. To debunk a limited-duration-chastisement interpretation of those verses, you need to show that aionios necessarily meant infinite (and never finite) and kolasis necessarily meant retributive punishment (and not discipline). You can't, and pointing out even a few places where aionios seems to be talking about eternity and kolasis seems to be talking about vengeance isn't enough.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Well, as far as I remember Marvin's previous thoughts on this subject, he seems to have changed his mind on it. I'm sure he can speak for himself, but I'd say his prior opinion was closer to yours, but has gradually shifted.

My fears are still there, but I'm trying to listen to my hopes more often.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
The reality of aionios kolasis being necessarily translated as "eternal punishment" is that it is entirely misleading. We have countless contemporary and biblical examples of aionios referring to a limited amount of time (even explicitly in relation to Gehenna / Hell!), and countless examples of kolasis referring to disciplinary punishment.

For what it's worth, the eminent classicist David Konstan has co-authored a book, Terms for Eternity, which addresses the issue head-on and lends strong support to the "universalist" position. I very much doubt that IngoB has the "credentials" in the study of ancient Greek that Dr. Konstan has!

--------------------

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

Again, for what it's worth, I just pulled Liddell and Scott's Greek-English Lexicon (the BIG one!) off of my office shelf and opened it up to "kolasis" (darn, I wish I had the hang of typing in Greek characters!) ....

This lexicon is the standard English-language work in Greek lexicography, still the first "go-to" for students and scholars.

Here are the relevant bits of the entry: first, the literal meaning, "checking the growth of trees." Then, the more common metaphorical usages: "chastisement, correction" ... "divine retribution" (in this case, citing Matthew 25:46 as an example). No "punishment" here!

Again, this is the English-language reference work.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<cross-post with Dubious Thomas throwing a different reference work into the mix>

quote:
I am certainly no expert in Greek language. But the more I've read about it, the more I'm persuaded that it did. The distinction is there, made by Clement and others (not just modern day scholars).

As mentioned, there is no scholarly agreement that this distinction is in fact there, and the standard reference works for (Koine) Greek do not make that distinction. I'm not a Greek scholar either. Hence I cannot say whether making that distinction is just a fringe opinion, or whether it has a significant following among scholars. But given that making such a distinction has not penetrated the reference works (some of which have been published relatively recently), we can be rather sure that making such a distinction is not currently required. To say the least.

quote:
The article you linked to spends a lot of time (rightly, IMO), against an annhiliationist translation of "cut off", which comes from the pruning etymology of kolasis.

It first spends a lot of time showing that "punishment" is a perfectly adequate, even preferred, translation. Somehow you must have overlooked that...

quote:
The reality of aionios kolasis being necessarily translated as "eternal punishment" is that it is entirely misleading.

Or rather, you would like it to be so, but you do not have any compelling argument for your case.

quote:
We have countless contemporary and biblical examples of aionios referring to a limited amount of time (even explicitly in relation to Gehenna / Hell!), and countless examples of kolasis referring to disciplinary punishment.

Nope, you do not. As a matter of fact, the same link also discusses "aionios" and while the translation there is more ambiguous than for "kolasis" with its primary meaning "punishment", the translation "everlasting" is certainly one of the main available options there. Furthermore, as also discussed at this link, in the particular case it is strictly the case that whatever modifier is being applied to "life" is also being applied to "punishment". The only way you could make the punishment of hell not everlasting is hence if the life of heaven also was not everlasting. You cannot differentiate the two, the parallel is precisely the author's point.

quote:
Even if aionios could at times be a euphemism for 'eternal' (it probably was), and even if kolasis could at times mean 'retributive punishment', it is very clear that they didn't have to.

Yes, other uses are possible. Indeed, I would bet that "kolasis" simply meant punishment, with no distinction in the word itself concerning the kind of punishment it was (disciplinary, retributive, kinky, ...), i.e., I expect that this worked just like in English or German. If so, then it is the context that determines the specific meaning, whereas one cannot tell from the word alone what the intention behind the punishment might be.

quote:
To debunk a limited-duration-chastisement interpretation of those verses, you need to show that aionios necessarily meant infinite (and never finite) and kolasis necessarily meant retributive punishment (and not discipline). You can't, and pointing out even a few places where aionios seems to be talking about eternity and kolasis seems to be talking about vengeance isn't enough.

Of course I can demonstrate that, compellingly, at least for Mt 25:46. I only need one additional "assumption", namely that life in heaven is indeed everlasting. If so, then the obviously fully intended parallel structure the author uses in the text without the slightest doubt indicates that also the "kolasis" is everlasting. But if the "kolasis" is everlasting, then an interpretation thereof as "disciplinary measure" makes no sense. A discipline must end as the one subjected to the discipline changes. Hence the proper translation here must be "(non-disciplinary) punishment", and if we assume that God is not simply a sadist, the function of this punishment must be retributive.

I really think that if you grant that life in heaven is eternal, the Mt 25:46 is a watertight case for eternal (presumably retributive) punishment. The one escape route that remains, finite life in heaven, is not particularly attractive I would say.

[ 11. April 2014, 15:30: Message edited by: IngoB ]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

This is probably a different thread topic for purgatory or kerygmania, but is the true meaning of a verse of Scripture the same as the understanding of the meaning of it that existed in the mind of the human, divinely inspired author at the time of composition?
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is probably a different thread topic for purgatory or kerygmania, but is the true meaning of a verse of Scripture the same as the understanding of the meaning of it that existed in the mind of the human, divinely inspired author at the time of composition?

I would ask also, is there one true meaning for each passage or verse, stark, timeless, devoid of context, regardless of the nature or condition of the person reading it? If so, why? Meaning justify that answer.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:

You're asking the "million dollar question" of many biblical scholars!

[We may need a Host to give us a judgment on this, but I think this "tangent" belongs here, because it is germain to the main topic, which is evidence, including biblical evidence, for and against universalism. But, I'm not a Host, so had better "shut up"! [Hot and Hormonal] ]

... I'll just note, for now, that the New Testament frequently quotes and uses verses from the Old Testament with meanings that could not have been the ones in the minds of the original authors and readers. The best example is Isaiah 7:14 -- there is no way that Isaiah was thinking of a virgin-born Messiah when he penned that verse! Just look at it in context, and that fact becomes obvious. This doesn't, however, mean that the meaning Matthew gives to the verse is invalid--it's simply (as Mousethief noted) that biblical verses have multiple possible meanings, some of which only become obvious on the basis of later readings.

This is relevant to our discussion of universalism, because I will affirm, without apology, that I believe this hermeneutical principle is necessary for universalist arguments.

[ 11. April 2014, 16:02: Message edited by: Dubious Thomas ]

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Again, for what it's worth, I just pulled Liddell and Scott's Greek-English Lexicon (the BIG one!) off of my office shelf and opened it up to "kolasis" (darn, I wish I had the hang of typing in Greek characters!) .... This lexicon is the standard English-language work in Greek lexicography, still the first "go-to" for students and scholars. Here are the relevant bits of the entry: first, the literal meaning, "checking the growth of trees." Then, the more common metaphorical usages: "chastisement, correction" ... "divine retribution" (in this case, citing Matthew 25:46 as an example). No "punishment" here! Again, this is the English-language reference work.

My link in fact has LS as having the meaning "punishment" listed for "kolasis", but that is from the "intermediate" dictionary. I have checked with Amazon's "look inside" feature that you are likely both correct (here there is no explicit "punishment" in the entry, whereas here there is, unfortunately the "intermediate" one here does not give me access to the right page). "Divine retribution" will of course do nicely for my purposes. But in fact so does "chastisement". In old usage that is a synonym for punishment, in particular beatings. And if we consider the more modern meaning of "severe rebuke", then I'm quite happy with the translation that people are being "eternally castigated" by God. What it looks like to be castigated by God in the afterlife, practically speaking, is after all detailed elsewhere in scripture most clearly.

--------------------

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
quote:
Again, for what it's worth, I just pulled Liddell and Scott's Greek-English Lexicon (the BIG one!) off of my office shelf and opened it up to "kolasis" (darn, I wish I had the hang of typing in Greek characters!) .... This lexicon is the standard English-language work in Greek lexicography, still the first "go-to" for students and scholars. Here are the relevant bits of the entry: first, the literal meaning, "checking the growth of trees." Then, the more common metaphorical usages: "chastisement, correction" ... "divine retribution" (in this case, citing Matthew 25:46 as an example). No "punishment" here! Again, this is the English-language reference work.

My link in fact has LS as having the meaning "punishment" listed for "kolasis", but that is from the "intermediate" dictionary. I have checked with Amazon's "look inside" feature that you are likely both correct (here there is no explicit "punishment" in the entry, whereas here there is, unfortunately the "intermediate" one here does not give me access to the right page). "Divine retribution" will of course do nicely for my purposes. But in fact so does "chastisement". In old usage that is a synonym for punishment, in particular beatings. And if we consider the more modern meaning of "severe rebuke", then I'm quite happy with the translation that people are being "eternally castigated" by God. What it looks like to be castigated by God in the afterlife, practically speaking, is after all detailed elsewhere in scripture most clearly.
I genuinely hope that your theology is not informing your parenting behavior!

--------------------

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

quote:
It first spends a lot of time showing that "punishment" is a perfectly adequate, even preferred, translation.

I agree that 'punishment' is not inadequate, because it is ambiguous of whether the intention is vengeful or restorative. However, it does little to investigate whether the implications of using kolasis rather than timoria related to the former or the latter.

quote:
quote:
The reality of aionios kolasis being necessarily translated as "eternal punishment" is that it is entirely misleading.

Or rather, you would like it to be so, but you do not have any compelling argument for your case.
It's misleading because to an English reader it explicitly gives an impression of infinity. An impression which, in the original Greek, is at the very least, ambiguous, at the most, simply wrong.

quote:
quote:
We have countless contemporary and biblical examples of aionios referring to a limited amount of time (even explicitly in relation to Gehenna / Hell!), and countless examples of kolasis referring to disciplinary punishment.

Nope, you do not.
No, really, we do. Off the top of my head, in the Septuagint, Jonah's stay in the big fish is aionion. 3 days = eternity? here is a discussion of aionios, which makes the point that out of the 150 instances of aionios in the LXX, four-fifths imply limited duration. I've already given you an example from Clement for kolasis meaning discipline, from memory there are plenty more examples in Josephus, and many many others. Honestly, the statements "aionion can relate to a finite amount of time" and "kolasis can relate to remedial punishment" are not controversial. Of course, whether those meanings were normative is more up for debate.

quote:
Of course I can demonstrate that, compellingly, at least for Mt 25:46. I only need one additional "assumption", namely that life in heaven is indeed everlasting. If so, then the obviously fully intended parallel structure the author uses in the text without the slightest doubt indicates that also the "kolasis" is everlasting.

Ok, that relies on an assumption that aionios is an adjective that specifies a length of time, rather than a quality of time. It evidently is not an adjective that tells you how long something is (eg. a ten-minute talk), it tells you that that thing pertains to an age - not complicated, since its root is aeon, or age. The length of time that aionios describes can be anything from minutes, to eternity. It doesn't bother itself with the amount of time, but where that time is.

So, for example, NT Wright suggests that, 'eternal life' is much better rendered 'life in the coming age'. The adjective doesn't say anything about how long that life is, but that it is eschatological.

So, indeed, there is a parallel structure, but it is not of the nature you describe. It is fair to believe that zoe aionion is 'forever', but that belief is from elsewhere, not from the meaning of the words themselves. The parallel structure is contrasting "punishment/discipline in the age to come" with "life in the age to come". It says nothing about the corresponding durations.

Incidentally, that passage reminds me of a similar parallel structure, in Romans 5:18-19, where the damnationists try to deny the obvious parallelism by juggling the meanings of 'many' and 'all'. How ironic.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:

If one has uncouth opponents, then cheap shots and personal insults are a sure sign that one has won the argument.

--------------------

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
quote:

If one has uncouth opponents, then cheap shots and personal insults are a sure sign that one has won the argument.
You're welcome to call me names and you're free to convince yourself that you've "won the argument."
[Roll Eyes]

Anything else I wish to say to you, I'll say in "Hell" ... when I find the time.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As is my wont I mull and mull, which you’d never know from my constant comment. I think I’m pretty bipolar on all this. Rattle stuff off when energized, take half an hour over a line or two and delete it. (I’m rattling this off under cover of a work email.)

I mull particularly over Anteater’s ever more rightful reproach to me. It echoes my history here: regardless of the fact that I’ve gone from the right of IngoB as an apologist for God the Killer, a conservative fundamentalist to a raving postmodern liberal Marcionite, leopards don’t change their spots and I’m just the nasty old armchair warrior I’ve ever been, even in repudiation of that. The ratio of right to left, conservative to liberal, over time is about 20:1, in life I’m 5% liberal. At the fag end.

I see the spectrum of response here, in IngoB, Anteater, Lamb Chopped, stonespring, Dubious Thomas, goperryrevs et al and it is a fine, spinning, tumbling, coruscating, blurred gem.

I know full well, I feel it with a kernel of fear, that I am rationalizing away the ‘plain meaning’ of scripture, Jesus’ ‘hard sayings’, but that is not a rational fear.

There’s no going back even though my inner reptile loves, yearns for the golden age of, the certainties of literalism, of legalism. Of Evangelicalism. The bliss of ignorance. I have been there in SPADES. From years of divorce and remarriage is a disfellowshippable sin. Longer years, decades of love-the-sinner-hate-the-sin homophobia at best. Decades of men-only ministry. Of rabid Whore AND her daughters AND the beast they road in on anti-Catholicism. Latter years of Islamophobia. Years and years and years of error. Anglo-Israelism, Christian Zionism, millennialism. A nasty mix of Galatians type Judaization (and what IS the Jewish term for Judaism? Yahadut? As in Sikkhi is the Sikh word for ‘Sikhism’. Muslim for ‘Moslem’. So Yahadut (‘Judaism’)?).

I AM reptile afeared that I am throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

But as in discussions of divorce and remarriage, the hard sayings of Jesus are stepped away from even in a case-law legalistic, one discrete step at a time fashion. And there is NO going back. It THEREFORE becomes exponentially easier to extrapolate to the FULL acceptance of LGBT orientation and relationships. This has NOTHING to do with cherry picking just the ‘nice’ bits of the bible. It goes way beyond that. And from a conservative OR wooden liberal POV there are no nice bits. The God of the wooden, Iron Age, NEW Testament text IS a misogynist, homophobic, slavery endorsing, racist, vengeful, penal substitutionary, judgmental, smiting, turn or burn killer. And everyone thought He was breathtakingly, dangerously liberal. Only a postmodern, FULLY inclusive view circles that sharp cornered square round, transcends the yeah-buts, can step away from, above, beyond, beneath the 50 year line from 40 times that ago.

And yeah, I’m failing miserably Anteater. I’m alienating conservatives. And I DON’T want to. Who, then, shall save me from this body of death? My essential nasty git comes through. As it did to mousethief over the Harrowing of Hell. The same old John Cleese Sir Lancelot The Brave. CHAAARGE! HACK!! STAB!!! SLASH!!!! Sorry.

And what’s all this got to do with universalism? Everything. As there is ONLY one – monist - thing. The ‘hard sayings’ of Jesus melt away in the light of … Jesus. The parable of the Unforgiving, Ungrateful, Unmerciful, Wicked Servant ends with no forgiveness, no mercy. Is that the final word from which to extrapolate beyond this life? He asked for patience ONCE and was granted it ONCE. Even Peter suggested seven times. Woodenly Jesus said four hundred and ninety times. But this guy and all of us get ONCE? And then we get tortured by Grey Area God? Or WORSE. Just engulfed in the lake of fire?

So what other hard sayings are there that are teddy-bear puke softened by postmodern liberalism?

Feel the lurve - Martin

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

quote:
quote:

You're asking the "million dollar question" of many biblical scholars!

[We may need a Host to give us a judgment on this, but I think this "tangent" belongs here, because it is germain to the main topic, which is evidence, including biblical evidence, for and against universalism. But, I'm not a Host, so had better "shut up"! [Hot and Hormonal] ]

... I'll just note, for now, that the New Testament frequently quotes and uses verses from the Old Testament with meanings that could not have been the ones in the minds of the original authors and readers. The best example is Isaiah 7:14 -- there is no way that Isaiah was thinking of a virgin-born Messiah when he penned that verse! Just look at it in context, and that fact becomes obvious. This doesn't, however, mean that the meaning Matthew gives to the verse is invalid--it's simply (as Mousethief noted) that biblical verses have multiple possible meanings, some of which only become obvious on the basis of later readings.

This is relevant to our discussion of universalism, because I will affirm, without apology, that I believe this hermeneutical principle is necessary for universalist arguments.

I think I'm leaning ever further into religious anarchy, and I'm ok with that - My current thought is that the truth of Scripture is independent of the mental processes of the authors or of the mental processes of any reader, even hierarchs of the Church. That means that although everything written in Scripture is true, no one can ever be sure that they actually know what it means.

Now here's where I get schizophrenic. The Holy Spirit makes sure that the Church will always teach the true meaning of Scripture - and this teaching is the teaching of the Magisterium - the Bishops led by the Pope, with the Extraordinary Magisterium of Papal Infallible Definitions (rarely used) or of Ecumenical Councils (which are only ecumenical and infallible if the Pope says so). BUT, no Pope or Bishop (the man) ever knows for sure what he (the Bishop) is teaching. No Pope (the man) knows when he (the Pope) is making an infallible definition or not, or whether a council was ecumenical or not. Therefore I believe that the mental processes of any Church leader are separate from the Holy-Spirit-guided teaching of their office. So no one ever really knows what the teaching of the Church is either.

This would resemble Gnosticism if I believed that there really was a set of people who knew the Truth, but I don't. Christ, being God, did - but we don't know for sure what he taught. I don't have any reason to believe that Christ is God or that the Church infallibly guards the doctrine of His teaching forever (although no one knows for sure what that doctrine is), but I choose to believe in it because it makes me feel good.

I think Christianity boils down to beautiful, moving, mysterious Liturgy, working to do good (whatever that is) individually and in community, prayer that is peaceful, ecstatic, or in between, and fun conversations about what any of all of it means. And I think that all the hierarchy of the Church is a great and beautiful thing, too, and that people should obey the hierarchy - just as long as the hierarchs know that they really don't know what they are teaching that they and everyone else knows that they really don't know what it is they are supposed to obey. That's all I think we can say with certainty that we have in this life, and I think that believing that "the gates of Hell shall not overcome" the Church just means that all this stuff will continue happening and that Christ's teaching - not that anyone really knows for sure what it is - will continue to be taught and learned from now until the end of time. And I don't think it matters much that other people have other religions or no religion, as long as they (and we) don't hurt anyone.

Oh, and I call myself Roman Catholic (despite all of the above) because I think there should be one global bureaucratic and legal institution called the Church and that the Pope should be its leader (with all the provisos above).

I don't mind at all that none of this makes sense. I don't think Christ intends it to.

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
Oh, and I call myself Roman Catholic (despite all of the above) because I think there should be one global bureaucratic and legal institution called the Church and that the Pope should be its leader (with all the provisos above).

If I may .... Why? Why should there be "one global bureaucratic and legal institution called the Church and ... the Pope should be its leader"?

Might I suggest that your religious "anarchism" take a further step?! [Big Grin]

--------------------

PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
then I'm quite happy with the translation that people are being "eternally castigated" by God.

I think this must be part of your temperament. That you want people eternally castigated! Enough evidence exists to give room for doubt. For much of its history, it has suited the Church to have that sort of power over people. Perhaps many of us here want to give God and ourselves the benefit of that doubt, and, at least hope, that His love trumps judgement. As inflexible a view as yours shows that, like Aquinas, you see one of the pleasures of heaven to look down on the sufferings of the damned. I feel sorry for you!

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

quote:
quote:

If I may .... Why? Why should there be "one global bureaucratic and legal institution called the Church and ... the Pope should be its leader"?

Might I suggest that your religious "anarchism" take a further step?! [Big Grin]

Absolutely not. At least 5% of our money (half of our tithe) needs to go to the same centralized institution for it to be effective and not to the pet church or charity of our choice. And everywhere we go in the world, we need to know that there is a church to call home. And the Church needs to have a leader to steer it through messy times - which is all the time. That, and none of the other Christian denominations are pagan enough for me. I mean it. I like Roman Catholicism because I like the appearance of human sacrifice and idol worship. That's part of what attracted me to it.
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

My last post to this thread (and my last post to the various "Community" boards, for a while)....

I'd like to share the concluding words of Robin Parry's book, The Evangelical Universalist, which well-express my reasons for being a Christian universalist:
quote:
Let me ask you to hold in your mind traditional Christian visions of the future, in which many, perhaps the majority of humanity, are excluded from salvation forever. Alongside that hold the universalist vision, in which God achieves his loving purpose of redeeming the whole creation. Which vision has the strongest view of divine love? Which story has the most powerful narrative of God’s victory over evil? Which picture lifts the atoning efficacy of the cross of Christ to the greatest heights? Which perspective best emphasizes the triumph of grace over sin? Which view most inspires worship and love of God bringing him honor and glory? Which has the most satisfactory understanding of divine wrath? Which narrative inspires hope in the human spirit? To my mind the answer to all these questions is clear, and that is why I am a Christian universalist.
The source for the quote is Parry's website, Theological Scribbles.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Off duty last night, so I've just picked this up.

I see you have opened a Hell thread, which is just as well. Critical personal innunendo about a Shipmate's real life relationships cross the line between an attack on an argument and an attack on a person. You know that's not allowed in Purgatory.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just thought up a new word and behold, it exists: logomancy.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to take that as a compliment ...

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Sir, as you know I hold the hosts in highest regard. You all got my mind right Barnaboss62. So I would never comment on a hostly comment except in the Styx.

In my puckish, endearing, gnomic way I was referring to the divination by words going on in the false dichotomy up-thread. My own humble contribution excepted of course.

--------------------
Love wins

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

[Big Grin]

No wish to lead you into extra-Styx temptation, of course.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
It's misleading because to an English reader it explicitly gives an impression of infinity. An impression which, in the original Greek, is at the very least, ambiguous, at the most, simply wrong.

Fine. I would say then that "eternal" is a better translation than "everlasting", because the former rightly understood is different from the latter, i.e., eternity is not an infinite length of time.

quote:
No, really, we do.

No, you really do not. Obviously you do not have literally countless instances. But neither can you justify your hyperbole in a metaphorical sense. Even if I believed your quoted estimate that four-fifths of all usage implies limited duration, and I do not believe that (since this requires interpretation, and invites bias), 20% of cases that imply unlimited duration cannot be swept aside for the case at hand with countless uses of the word "countless".

quote:
The length of time that aionios describes can be anything from minutes, to eternity. It doesn't bother itself with the amount of time, but where that time is. So, for example, NT Wright suggests that, 'eternal life' is much better rendered 'life in the coming age'. The adjective doesn't say anything about how long that life is, but that it is eschatological.

I actually do not have a problem with that. I will just point out that "eternal" in classical Christian theology does not mean "of infinite temporal duration", but rather marks a non-temporal state of unbounded life. So it is actually indicating a "state change", and hence can viably be used to indicate a "coming age" different in this regard from ours. In other words, I don't think that "eternal" is that bad a translation even if one buys into these arguments.

quote:
So, indeed, there is a parallel structure, but it is not of the nature you describe. It is fair to believe that zoe aionion is 'forever', but that belief is from elsewhere, not from the meaning of the words themselves. The parallel structure is contrasting "punishment/discipline in the age to come" with "life in the age to come". It says nothing about the corresponding durations.

I think this still is a rhetorical sleigh of hand. If you say in English "in the age to come" then you locate something more or less arbitrarily within a future era. If I say that in the Victorian age there were great poets, and in the Victorian age the pedal-driven bicycle was invented, then this does not tell me whether any specific great poet lived concurrently with the invention of the bicycle, or how long any of this took. You use this construction to decouple here the actual "timing" of the punishment from the life. But I do not think that this is fair to the Greek. If we insist on a "grammatical" interpretation, which is not a given at all - grammatical constructs can take on a life on their own and change meaning, as is apparently the case here in at least 20% of cases, then this would have to be translated as something like "life/punishment of the age" or "age-y life/punishment", etc. So it is the life/punishment characteristic of the age. And the parallelism then still suggests that the characteristics somehow have to do with each other, but in particular that both are age-encompassing. There is absolutely and utterly nothing here that would suggest a picture where one side goes directly into the "life of the age", and the other side first goes into the "punishment of the age" and then later into the "life of the age". That's not what the parallelism is doing at all. As a rhetorical means, it is clearly saying that as far as this particular age goes, one side goes to life, and the other to punishment. No more and no less.

But we know that there is no additional age to come after that. And we know from independent descriptions of the both the life but in particular the punishment, that the key characteristic of this one age that is still to come is eternity. So this fiddling about with "qualitative interpretations" doesn't do anything for you in the end. It may indeed be of relevance to the "damnationists", pointing out to them that the usual attack on their position in terms of "finite sin does not deserve infinite punishment" is deeply mistaken as far as the language of the bible goes, since there is no infinity there in that quantitative sense. But I don't think that it was your intention to defend the "damnationists" here...

quote:
Incidentally, that passage reminds me of a similar parallel structure, in Romans 5:18-19, where the damnationists try to deny the obvious parallelism by juggling the meanings of 'many' and 'all'. How ironic.

What's there to juggle? St Paul conveniently explains in one breath that the principle "all" in verse 18 translates into a "many" in practice (and it is not particularly contentious how that works either, namely by the difference between God offering salvation and man accepting it).

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But we know that there is no additional age to come after that.

How do we know that? I don't see it in the text.

You said yourself that this age to come is not best translated as "eternity" in a topological/cosmological sense. That is not an infinite extension of time but a timeless state that might contain time. But that eternity is an attribute of God, and there is room for an infinite number of ages, or spaces, in Gods creations. There might be many ages or many worlds or many universes. (Or even many mansions)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016