homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Universalism: The case against (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Universalism: The case against
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

- Posted      Profile for Dubious Thomas         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Well, if that God exists and is the God of the Bible, then every knee will bow and every tongue confess and give praise to God. In other words, those who judge God now will worship God on judgment day.

Or, if this "God" exists (the "Beeswax God") maybe his supposed "revelation" of what he's capable of actually involves blowing a lot of sulfurous smoke up our you-know-whats.

Maybe, when push comes to shove, people who have dared to challenge him will stay standing on their steady knees. And then the Beeswax God will end up having to bend his knee to the real God.

Just a possibility....
[Biased]

--------------------
שפך חמתך אל־הגוים אשר לא־ידעוך
Psalm 79:6

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything is possible even Santa Claus. So, if the Dubio-Thomistic God is the real God and the Beeswax God just a demiurge, I think we've answered the question of what religion worships the Dubio-Thomistic God. It's not Christianity. Of course, Gnosticism is no longer much of a religion. You may also look into Zoroastrianism.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

- Posted      Profile for Dubious Thomas         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anything is possible even Santa Claus. So, if the Dubio-Thomistic God is the real God and the Beeswax God just a demiurge, I think we've answered the question of what religion worships the Dubio-Thomistic God. It's not Christianity. Of course, Gnosticism is no longer much of a religion. You may also look into Zoroastrianism.

Please see Mousethief's to-the-point post about guilt by association. (I might also suggest that you take my posts no more seriously than I am taking yours--that is, not very!)

In any case, Gnosticism and Zoroastrianism are the opposites of universalism, having even more narrow and limited soteriologies than Beeswaxianism.

If you'd like me to recommend an actual religion that teaches the certainty of universal salvation, I can point you to Jodo Shinshu Buddhism, which teaches that Ultimate Reality is Amitabha-Amitayus Buddha (Infinite Light-Infinite Life Buddha), who vowed to save all sentient beings and is, in fact, doing just that every second of every day. It's Buddhist "Calvinism" without the "reprobate." (There's even a scholarly study that compares its founder, Shinran Shonin, with Martin Luther--remarkably similar stories about struggling for monastic perfection before finding pure grace: Shinran's Gospel of Pure Grace .) I used to be quite interested in it, and will likely throw my lot in with it, given the fundamental inadequacy of the Beeswax God.

[ 24. March 2014, 19:51: Message edited by: Dubious Thomas ]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been seeing God Zenning it for a while now. Answering intercessory prayer with a helpless nod. And if the Christian God HAS to be genocidal, HAS to be homophobic, HAS to be a killer, HAS to be sexist, HAS to be placist then I too will have to be excommunicated.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Good for Nothing:
Would it not have been better if God had either not created human beings at all - or had made us all perfect, like Jesus? After all Jesus, they say, was perfect and had free will.

Say, rather, Jesus had free will because he was perfect. We are not perfect, so our will is not free, as Paul argues persuasively, in Romans 7

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
quote:
Originally posted by Good for Nothing:
Would it not have been better if God had either not created human beings at all - or had made us all perfect, like Jesus? After all Jesus, they say, was perfect and had free will.

Say, rather, Jesus had free will because he was perfect. We are not perfect, so our will is not free, as Paul argues persuasively, in Romans 7
Right -- which is precisely why it would be unjust (contrary to God's nature as Just) to condemn people for failing to accept the Gospel, since they cannot actually exercise their wills in that direction. It's like telling someone who is blind that you will punish them if they fail to read the newspaper you've set in front of them.

Luther and Calvin (following Paul and Augustine) were right about the "bondage of the will," and that people can only accept the Gospel if God graciously transforms their wills so that they can respond.

But they all run into trouble with their claim that God transforms the wills only of some people, leaving others in their state of bondage. This results in a God who is neither Merciful nor Just. Rather, he's the kind of psychopath who tells a blind man to read a newspaper and then shoots him when he can't do it.

Only Christian Universalism deals adequately with the problem and posits a God who is both Just and Merciful. Christian Universalism's God will break the bondage of every human will when and how he sees fit.

But, I'm quite willing to admit that Christian Universalism's correct theological conclusion is hard to support from Scripture (at least if it is understood the way it has commonly been understood by most Christians).

But, maybe, the problem is not with Scripture, but with the way "most Christians" have been interpreting it?

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly

Or...

You could be wrong in how you define just.

--------------------

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
Possibly

Or...

You could be wrong in how you define just.

Okay, so how do you define "just"?

[I do hope that Humpty Dumpty doesn't get involved in this.]

[ 25. March 2014, 01:20: Message edited by: Dubious Thomas ]

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Doesn't matter how I define just. I'm not God.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How specious. What do YOU say God says 'just' is?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dubious Thomas:
quote:
But, faced with this cruel monster, I'd probably shrivel up and cry.
I tried, in the OP to keep the cruel-sadist God out of sensible discussion where he belongs. SFAIK, and I can only answer for Conservative Evangelical Calvinists (which I no longer hold to but know and respect) that God's actions to all are based on his nature as both just and merciful, and that the unsaved will freely acknowledge the justice of there fate, which is nothing at all to do with sadism. OK I fully accept there has been some bone-headed rhetoric that can give rise to the idea, but there's no reason to return like for like.

Perhaps we need a thread on Straw Men.

quote:
which is precisely why it would be unjust (contrary to God's nature as Just) to condemn people for failing to accept the Gospel
I'm not aware of any christian denomination that teaches this. Condemnation is based on voluntary sin against God and our neighbour. The Gospel is not the test that decides whether we are saved or damned but the cure for those who are damned, which is a lot different. And can we avoid the Straw Women of the little old lady who never did anything wrong in her life except once she found a £ note and kept it instead of giving it in. If such a person exists, I'll cheerfully admit that she would not be damned for that.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
StoneSpring:
quote:
I just can't wrap my mind around a belief that God would ever say, "Time's up, I won't offer you the grace you would need to repent anymore because you obviously don't want it."
As with so many of these objections, I know of no christian denomination that teaches this. What they do teach is that post-mortem repentance is impossible. The idea that Hell is full of people who would repent and believe if only God would enable that, is nonsense.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anteater:
As with so many of these objections, I know of no christian denomination that teaches this. What they do teach is that post-mortem repentance is impossible.

Why?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

Boogie:
quote:
Why?
Well that depends on details. I am in a minority, since I tend to believe in annihilation, in which case it is obvious why.

But most don't, and those will often state that they believe this but are not able to explicate it.

The point of my post was that nobody takes the view that hell is full of people who want to repent but are somehow prevented from doing so by God.

[ 25. March 2014, 08:39: Message edited by: anteater ]

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Boogie:
quote:
Why?
Well that depends on details. I am in a minority, since I tend to believe in annihilation, in which case it is obvious why.

But most don't, and those will often state that they believe this but are not able to explicate it.

The point of my post was that nobody takes the view that hell is full of people who want to repent but are somehow prevented from doing so by God.

But the reason the people in Hell don't want to repent is that they are cut off (by their own choice) from the grace that would allow them to repent. This is "just" - at least the RCC teaches - because people were taught before death that eternal separation from God's love and grace would be the consequence of not believing the Gospel, not being baptized, and not repenting of and confessing mortal sin after baptism. If someone has not been taught this in their lifetime or does not have access to baptism or confession before death, then God judges them based on what they would have done if they had had the chance (and in the case of confession, people can try to make a perfect act of contrition before death if no one is around to confess to), the RCC teaches.

I don't believe in total depravity. I think that having faith and doing good are the result of people's free will cooperating with God's grace, not the result of God's grace doing everything for us.

A horrible sinner in this lifetime can repent at any moment because we have free will and we have access to God's grace. Traditional Christian belief is that when we die, people who have not repented have "chosen" to be separated from God's grace and love forever so God puts them in Hell where they will never want to repent and leave. If they had access to God's grace, they might want to repent, just like in life. So I think that my characterization of traditional Christian belief is correct.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

So the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah all repented of their relentlessly evil lives as the fire rained down and pre-baked them? They were morally perfected in those moments of agonized terror?

--------------------
Love wins

Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
As with so many of these objections, I know of no christian denomination that teaches this. What they do teach is that post-mortem repentance is impossible.

Why?
Nothing in what Jesus taught - or any of the other apostles for that matter - to suggest that you might get another shot at repentance post-mortem. Stuff like Jesus's parable about Lazarus and the rich man is one of the strongest indicators that you get enough time in this life to make your choices for eternity. Also the idea that God knows how we will respond -he puts us in situations in this life where we can make free choices that will count for eternity. For some people, he knows that no matter how many times you give them a choice, they will always reject him.

Just a quick word on the o/p - can you be a Christian and a universalist. I don't see why not.

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dubious Thomas:
Only Christian Universalism deals adequately with the problem and posits a God who is both Just and Merciful. Christian Universalism's God will break the bondage of every human will when and how he sees fit. But, I'm quite willing to admit that Christian Universalism's correct theological conclusion is hard to support from Scripture (at least if it is understood the way it has commonly been understood by most Christians). But, maybe, the problem is not with Scripture, but with the way "most Christians" have been interpreting it?

No, it is a problem with Christian universalism, which is simply wrong and which, as you have noted, cannot be defended from scripture. The idea that Christianity somehow didn't manage to come to terms with people doing evil is laughable. The traditional (pre-Protestant) explanation is of course entirely viable: you can do good only with and through God's grace, but you can do evil yourself precisely by resisting grace. There you go, the mystery of human evil solved: it is matter of refusing collaboration with God, of setting one's free will against His will. That wasn't so hard, was it now? And it explains how we can come to deserve reward or punishment, namely simply by the vigour or lack of our collaboration.

God in His mercy and forgiveness extends opportunity upon opportunity to us to collaborate with Him and with the graces He bestows upon us. But this simply is not an endless game we can play with His patience. Our lives come to an end, and God in His justice and righteousness will judge them fairly at that point. The cry for "yet another chance" is quite pointless. What if we fail that chance too? Of course there will be a cry for "one more chance" again. And if we fail that, this will repeat. On and on... There is no end to giving ever more chances, that just is playing an endless game. God in His wisdom has put a clear dead-line before us: we will get as many new chances as we want as long as we live, and then none any longer. And the choice simply is binary: beatitude living with God, or torture living without Him. It is seeing things upside down to claim that such eternal fate is an unjust consequence of the earthly life. This binary choice is prior, it just is how creation works. Hence the spirits, with their instantaneous and crystal-clear minds, immediately became either (good) angels or demons according to their decision for or against God. This earthly life precisely is God's accommodation for our discursive and muddled minds that are embodied. We are not asked to decide instantly, we are given time, and we are allowed to enact our choices with our bodies in a world. This life is nothing but an appropriate setting for our decision for or against God, it is a construct designed to be in tune with our nature, to give the kind of being that we are a proper choice in this matter. It is a test, a qualification trial.

But in the end we must choose, or rather, will have chosen. If we feel that this is "unfair", then that is just too bad for us. Our opinion is not being asked concerning the design of creation in general and the fate of man in particular, and Job is required reading for a Christian.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
For some people, he knows that no matter how many times you give them a choice, they will always reject him.

He also knows why - and it often has far more to do with upbringing/trauma/lack of love in babyhood than choice.

Jesus preached forgiveness before repentance - the father forgave the son before he repented. The one sheep was searched for irrespective of its wandering. Why shouldn't this be true after death.

Death seems a very arbitrary cut off point to me. If you believe in life after death then why not believe in Grace after death?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
... Our lives come to an end, and God in His justice and righteousness will judge them fairly at that point. ... God in His wisdom has put a clear dead-line before us: we will get as many new chances as we want as long as we live, and then none any longer ... the choice simply is binary: beatitude living with God, or torture living without Him ...

Some people live much shorter lives than others. How is what you describe fair or just to someone who dies before they can understand language - can they make the "choice" that you mentioned? Are they condemned to "torture living without Him"?

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Really?! Now, I'm cautious about describing the precise cognitive state of the damned, or indeed of anybody in the afterlife. I do not really know what this will be like. However, the usual strategy of describing the doomed as this single-minded bunch of utter God-haters is in my opinion simply a copout. It tries to claim that God is not actually making a judgement, but is rather simply sorting people, with those that regrettably cannot be reached by even Divine means ending up in the hell bin. But no, God is being described as actually judging our lives. And anyhow, no human being can maintain such a pure state of mind, at least not without Divine help (and God would not help people to be single-mindedly opposed to Him). Indeed, this turns the doomed in some sort of anti-heroes. One would have to have some kind of admiration for their unbendable determination to face down an eternity of torture for their God-hating convictions. It would be a tragically misdirected but incredibly impressive stance. And of course this is just the sort of bullshit we get to hear over and over again on these boards: "If God is like this and that, then I would rather burn in hell for eternity than obey Him." That's a heroic attitude right there, a bold declaration full of guts and glory.

But this finds no support in scripture. In the outer darkness, there are no stern anti-heroes eating up the punishment of hell with grim determination. In the outer darkness, there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. The doomed are really doomed, they have no delusions of hateful grandeur to support them through an eternity of pain.

It may indeed be the case that the doomed do not want to repent. But if so, then only because they also see clearly now and know that they cannot. Not because they are locked into some self-supporting strength of hatred and evil. There is no strength to hatred and evil in the afterlife, it has all fallen apart to misery and pain. The main punishment for the doomed, tradition has always claimed, is precisely their thwarted desire for God (poena damni), not the "physical" torture (poena sensus). They are weeping and gnashing their teeth for a reason, and in the main so because they cannot repent any longer and hence cannot be with God. And while it may be the case that some feature of the afterlife makes repentance there impossible even for God to grant, nevertheless of course it is God who has created life and afterlife this way. So in an ultimate sense at least, God is in fact denying the doomed any further chance for repentance.

In my opinion, these explanations are all evasive manoeuvres to maintain a huggy-bear version of God. But God simply is not harmless. There is no indication in scripture or from Jesus that He is. Indeed, there is no indication from life that He is. It is a complete mystery to me how people who have been around in this world can come to the conclusion that God is this nice dude who will make everybody happy, eventually. Precisely what are they smoking? I find Christianity convincing precisely because of the stark picture it (traditionally) paints of the afterlife. That sounds just about right to me. The good news is that I can be saved, and indeed that everybody can be saved (not will be saved). Looking at this world with open eyes, that really is astonishingly good news.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Why?
Nothing in what Jesus taught - or any of the other apostles for that matter - to suggest that you might get another shot at repentance post-mortem. Stuff like Jesus's parable about Lazarus and the rich man is one of the strongest indicators that you get enough time in this life to make your choices for eternity.
I'd say it's the other way round. I don't think we can get a lot of theology out of Lazarus and the rich man parable anyhow. It's not there to make a point about the afterlife, but about how we treat each other in this life.

For repentance not to be possible after death, there has to be a huge ontological change in the Way Things Are(TM), and therefore, for me, the onus is on those who say that people can't repent after they die to explain how and why. The arguments I've heard (this life sets you on a trajectory which ultimately leads to polarization) aren't persuasive to me, logically, or scripturally.

For repentance to be impossible, either people will refuse to repent, or God will refuse to forgive. I think that the teaching of Jesus is very strongly that, from God's point of view, he is always waiting and ready to forgive; has already forgiven. If we're talking parables, then what speaks louder than the Prodigal Son? The Father was willing to wait forever. And, even when the story ends, it's not finished. We don't find out what happens to the older son. Does he repent? Can he?

So, the only way for repentance to be impossible is for it to come from the human side; that every unrepentant person will endlessly refuse to repent. I find this very hard to believe. As Paul says, we see through a glass darkly in this life. I would say that the vast majority of people (everyone?), when they finally see God and his creation clearly, will be only too ready to receive the Father's Love...

...and bow the knee... I find the idea of a non-universalist interpretation of Phil 2.10 quite strange. If every knee will bow, it's either willingly (therefore after repentance) or unwillingly (coerced). I'm not so keen on the picture of God that the latter gives.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Alwyn:
Some people live much shorter lives than others. How is what you describe fair or just to someone who dies before they can understand language - can they make the "choice" that you mentioned? Are they condemned to "torture living without Him"?

If they are baptised, we know that they will go straight to heaven. If they are not, then we can hope that they do. (Traditionally, they would rather go to the "limbo of infants", which after some back and forth came to be seen as a place of eternal natural, but not super-natural, happiness.) If we now ask how it is fair that some people make it to heaven so easily, while we have to labour so hard to get there, then the parable of the workers in the vineyard applies.

--------------------

Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If they are baptised, we know that they will go straight to heaven. If they are not, then we can hope that they do. (Traditionally, they would rather go to the "limbo of infants", which after some back and forth came to be seen as a place of eternal natural, but not super-natural, happiness.) ...

So their situation depends (or may depend) on someone else's choice - whether their carer(s)/parent(s) chose to baptise them? That sounds arbitrary, not just, to me.

Similarly, some people are agnostic or atheist as children and become Christians as teenagers or adults. But they cannot do so if they are in a fatal accident or die of a disease before they would have become a Christian. On your view, they haven't made the right choice during their lifetime, so they get torture. The distribution of fatal accidents and terminal diseases seems largely arbitrary to me. So, for these people too, the allocation of torture seems arbitrary, not just.

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
If they are baptised, we know that they will go straight to heaven. If they are not, then we can hope that they do.[/QB]

One more example of belief in a "God" who could disappoint people's best, most positive hopes. To imagine such a "God" is to imagine a being who can't possibly be God.

Imagine a mother saying this to her child: "Timmy, if you fall into a raging river, you may hope that I'll jump in to save you ... but there's no guarantee that I will. I might just decide to let you drown."

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

He said Limbo was a state of eternal natural happiness. Happiness doesn't include torture. Unless those in limbo are masochistic, then being tortured for all eternity might make them eternally happy.

I doubt it. I'm not sold on limbo either. Limbo is just a pious opinion. Anything is possible.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I find Christianity convincing precisely because of the stark picture it (traditionally) paints of the afterlife.

I find Christianity unconvincing precisely because you find that convincing (because 'it sounds just about right' to you). Your continued use of terms like, "If they are baptised, we know that they will go straight to heaven" only adds to the unconvincingness of it all. You don't know*, and yet you're convinced.

Hubris much?

* Oh, and spare me the 'operational certainty' sidewriggle.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
No, it is a problem with Christian universalism, which is simply wrong and which, as you have noted, cannot be defended from scripture.

I did not say it "cannot" be defended from Scripture; I said that it is difficult (or words to that effect). That something is difficult to accomplish does not make it impossible to accomplish (nor does the difficulty render it not worthy trying).

In any event, I do appreciate your blunt presentation of traditional Roman Catholic doctrine. I have a lot more respect for your clarity about the terrible fate you believe awaits unbelievers and unrepentant sinners than I do for the approach of a lot of people who insist that they believe in the Heaven-Hell binary and then come up with all kinds of ways of softening the traditional doctrine (mainly, it seem to me, to soothe their own consciences). It's best in these discussions to have clarity about what the options really are.

Your "God" is a moral monster, and to understand what comes from belief in such a creature, we only need to listen to the screams of burning "heretics," "witches," and Jews. [Yeah, yeah, yeah: "We only did that in the Middle Ages. We don't do it anymore. And besides, it was the civil authorities who burned all those people, not the Church.... Well, yes, the Church authorized and presided over the burnings.... And Aquinas fully endorsed the burning of heretics.... And a Pope once declared that he would personally burn his own brother if he turned out to be a heretic.... But, even though the Church did it for centuries ... it was never established as infallible doctrine.... So now we can happily pretend we never did it!" There's a reason Giordano Bruno is frowning so sternly in that statue in Campo de'Fiori. [Mad] ]

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
quote:
If they are baptised, we know that they will go straight to heaven. If they are not, then we can hope that they do.

One more example of belief in a "God" who could disappoint people's best, most positive hopes. To imagine such a "God" is to imagine a being who can't possibly be God.

Imagine a mother saying this to her child: "Timmy, if you fall into a raging river, you may hope that I'll jump in to save you ... but there's no guarantee that I will. I might just decide to let you drown." [/QB]

Ah, I get it now. The Dubio-Thomistic God comes with His/Her own ontological argument. One I don't find persuasive.

Godel didn't define positive the way you do.
[Biased]

--------------------

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
I tried, in the OP to keep the cruel-sadist God out of sensible discussion where he belongs.

If an elephant wants into a room, it's hard to keep him out.

And, I'm sure you grasp that your idea of what counts as "sensible" discussion cannot be forced on anyone else (at least here).

It's simply a fact that many (maybe most) Christian universalists (not to mention lots of sensible non-Christians) judge the "God" of traditional Christianity to be a "cruel-sadist," and they're going to say what they think.

"Yes, my father beat me regularly with an extension cord, broke some ribs kicking me once, gave me a black eye for looking at him the wrong way.... But he wasn't a cruel sadist! He loved me! I deserved everything I got!"

quote:
SFAIK, and I can only answer for Conservative Evangelical Calvinists (which I no longer hold to but know and respect) that God's actions to all are based on his nature as both just and merciful, and that the unsaved will freely acknowledge the justice of there fate, which is nothing at all to do with sadism.
I'm fully aware of what Conservative Evangelical Calvinists believe and claim--used to be one for a while. I just simply don't accept what they claim about God and how the unsaved will respond to him. I won't go to the trouble at the moment, but if I were to really "unpack" the scenario you just presented, the only reasonable term that could be applied to its "God" would be "sadist" (well, or maybe "psychopath").

quote:
I'm not aware of any christian denomination that teaches this. Condemnation is based on voluntary sin against God and our neighbour.
This seems like sophistry to me. As you note in the part of your comment I didn't copy, acceptance of the Gospel is necessary for a person not to be condemned for "voluntary sin against God or neighbour." So, it's a fact that the traditional scenario has people condemned as a consequence of their not having accepted the Gospel--which is what I meant by "condemned for not accepting the Gospel."

quote:
And can we avoid the Straw Women of the little old lady who never did anything wrong in her life except once she found a £ note and kept it instead of giving it in. If such a person exists, I'll cheerfully admit that she would not be damned for that.
I'm not sure whom you're arguing with here. I certainly didn't raise this "straw man." I don't make arguments like that. I know how spurious they are. But, for the record, according to the traditional Protestant doctrine, that little old lady is going straight to Hell if she hasn't believed in Jesus as her savior. As soon as you affirm that God couldn't possibly condemn a nice little old lady for her tiny little sins, you've actually abandoned the whole doctrine of the necessity of faith-in-Christ-in-this-life for salvation.

Here, just as an example, is the Southern Baptist Faith and Message, which, in Article IV, expresses the classic Protestant doctrine on salvation:

quote:
"Salvation involves the redemption of the whole man, and is offered freely to all who accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, who by His own blood obtained eternal redemption for the believer.... There is no salvation apart from personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord."
There you have it! Salvation is only for those who have "personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord."

So, that sweet little old lady, if she doesn't have "personal faith in Jesus Christ" cannot be saved. She's going to Hell.

But, let me be abundantly clear, as a Christian universalist (hanging on right now by the skin of my teeth, I'll admit), I'm not making the case for sweet little old ladies and Indians in deepest Amazon, I'm arguing that God will save Caligula, Nero, Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin, Jeffrey Dahmer, Radovan Karadzic, Osama bin Laden, the commandants of Auschwitz, Treblinka, Sobibor, and Chelmno ... and me, the foremost sinner (move over, Pseudo-Paul! -- 1 Timothy 1:15).

Other "universalists" can, of course, speak for themselves, but the "Dubio-Thomistic" God is not the cuddly deity IngoB seems to think universalists believe in. My God is a God of Wrath, with a capital-W. He detests sin, especially the fact that a baby died right now from starvation because the society I live in is too f-ing selfish to make sure that every human being on this planet can have enough food! But -- and this is the wonderful thing -- this God isn't going to pour out his Wrath on us, because he poured it out on himself. He took his own justice in full measure, so that there is not a drop left for us.

I know, it's Lent, but.... "The strife is o'er, the battle done...."

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right now, I'm no longer sure I want God to exist.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Really?! Now, I'm cautious about describing the precise cognitive state of the damned, or indeed of anybody in the afterlife. I do not really know what this will be like. However, the usual strategy of describing the doomed as this single-minded bunch of utter God-haters is in my opinion simply a copout. It tries to claim that God is not actually making a judgement, but is rather simply sorting people, with those that regrettably cannot be reached by even Divine means ending up in the hell bin. But no, God is being described as actually judging our lives. And anyhow, no human being can maintain such a pure state of mind, at least not without Divine help (and God would not help people to be single-mindedly opposed to Him). Indeed, this turns the doomed in some sort of anti-heroes. One would have to have some kind of admiration for their unbendable determination to face down an eternity of torture for their God-hating convictions. It would be a tragically misdirected but incredibly impressive stance. And of course this is just the sort of bullshit we get to hear over and over again on these boards: "If God is like this and that, then I would rather burn in hell for eternity than obey Him." That's a heroic attitude right there, a bold declaration full of guts and glory.

But this finds no support in scripture. In the outer darkness, there are no stern anti-heroes eating up the punishment of hell with grim determination. In the outer darkness, there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. The doomed are really doomed, they have no delusions of hateful grandeur to support them through an eternity of pain.

It may indeed be the case that the doomed do not want to repent. But if so, then only because they also see clearly now and know that they cannot. Not because they are locked into some self-supporting strength of hatred and evil. There is no strength to hatred and evil in the afterlife, it has all fallen apart to misery and pain. The main punishment for the doomed, tradition has always claimed, is precisely their thwarted desire for God (poena damni), not the "physical" torture (poena sensus). They are weeping and gnashing their teeth for a reason, and in the main so because they cannot repent any longer and hence cannot be with God. And while it may be the case that some feature of the afterlife makes repentance there impossible even for God to grant, nevertheless of course it is God who has created life and afterlife this way. So in an ultimate sense at least, God is in fact denying the doomed any further chance for repentance.

In my opinion, these explanations are all evasive manoeuvres to maintain a huggy-bear version of God. But God simply is not harmless. There is no indication in scripture or from Jesus that He is. Indeed, there is no indication from life that He is. It is a complete mystery to me how people who have been around in this world can come to the conclusion that God is this nice dude who will make everybody happy, eventually. Precisely what are they smoking? I find Christianity convincing precisely because of the stark picture it (traditionally) paints of the afterlife. That sounds just about right to me. The good news is that I can be saved, and indeed that everybody can be saved (not will be saved). Looking at this world with open eyes, that really is astonishingly good news.

So would the safest option be to make a full and frank confession of one's sins and then die immediately after in a nasty accident?

[ 25. March 2014, 13:37: Message edited by: Erroneous Monk ]

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a universalist: like Lamb Chopped, part of me really wants to be, but there's just too much in the Bible that suggests that the choices we make in this life really do matter, eternally. If eternal life begins now, before death, then surely what we do with this life matters after death?

When I say this, I'm not just thinking in terms of punishment for sin (ie that unless we believe in Jesus and have a personal relationship with Him, we'll be punished eternally for our sins). Imagine I made the decision, without any provocation from her, to leave my wife. Maybe I start a relationship with someone else, maybe I just decide to "go it alone"; whatever, I decide that I no longer want to be married to Mrs Stejjie and move out and cut all ties with her. Let's suppsoe she still loves me and, for whatever reason, wants me back. She does everything she can to try and get me back: tries to write to me, woo me, pursue me, promise to satsify my every desire. But despite all this, I still say no, it's over. Eventually, she realises it's hopeless and, broken-hearted, decides to try and get on with her life: she lets me complete the decision I've made.

That's an imperfect analogy (aren't they all?), but that I think is something of why I can't fully embrace universalism. It's not just about justice: it's about God in a way respecting the decisions we make. If we decide to ignore God or shut him out of our lives (and at the moment I'm only talking about those who would say they've made that decision in that way - other people's stories may be different and I'm not sure about them) and resist whatever God does to win us back, then I believe God respects that, eternally. I don't know if that means annihilation, or eternal torment or something else: if it's the latter, then I suspect it's the torment of someone realising they've lost out on the best thing they could ever have had. I certainly don't believe God wants this for anyone; I just think God honours the choices we make in this life, even if that means us being separated from him in eternity.

I also don't believe God does this with a smile on his face, but with a broken heart that we've not chosen him.

Of course, I may well be wrong and there may be that further opportunity after death, when we come face-to-face with God. I just don't see much in Scripture that says that that will happen - I'd be happy to be proved wrong when the time comes! But also, isn't part of the point that in Jesus, we have seen God face-to-face, that we have seen the fulness of Him and His love and grace and glory, the fullness of the God who gave Himself fully for us. So God could be justified in saying, when we face Him, "what more could I do? I gave my very self for you and you rejected me - even I can't give more than myself".

Whether he will or not, I'm not sure. But I'm not sure it's my place to lecture God on morality...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thing is, it's not about rejection. I don't know anyone who rejects God. I know a lot of people who don't believe he exists. And that's because they don't see a lot of reason to suppose that he does. If God regularly wandered down the street, asking us to accept or reject him, in full knowledge that he really was God, that'd be one thing. But it's not like that. How can you choose someone if you don't know they're there?

[ 25. March 2014, 13:56: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB,

I think the two main lessons from Job are 1. that human suffering in this life often has no satisfactory explanation (not even as punishment for some sin we ourselves committed in our lifetime) and 2. we can't have the mind of God so we can't really criticize what He does.

I don't disagree with this. But that does not mean that I believe the verses of Scripture, the writings of Church Fathers, Doctors, and theologians, and the decrees of Councils and Popes that appear to say that God does indeed punish those not living in a state of grace at the time of death with eternal suffering. Job says do not question God - but it does not say not to question what others say that God says - or indeed to question what I say that God says (including what I am writing here). I do not deny the authority of Scripture, Tradition, or the Magisterium - but I feel that I can question whatever anyone says that those three things teach. That means that I can question the man who occupies the office of Pope when he says that something is the teaching of the Pope when it might just be what he thinks the Pope is teaching. If every word uttered by the man who occupies the office of Pope were a teaching of the Pope, that would be problematic, and even traditional Catholics do not believe that. Heretic that I am, I take that further and believe that even if the Pope says that he is speaking ex cathedra does not mean that he is really doing so - that it is possible for the Pope to be mistaken in thinking that the Holy Spirit is defining doctrine forever through him.

Therefore I find comfort in knowing that even though God could very well a God who damns people to suffer forever, that there is nothing that requires me to believe that unless I really can get my conscience to accept it. And no matter how much I learn about Christianity and Catholicism, my conscience just cannot accept it. Call me an anarchist or worse - or say I am not even remotely a Christian. But at least I admit where I differ from traditional orthodoxy and that I don't see why I should get in line with it.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

If you spend too much time reading online arguments between atheists and Christians you do come across a lot of people who 'reject' God. But they probably aren't representative of most atheists.

I'm currently wondering about the possibilities of vicarious religion. The RCC and the CofE seem more comfortable with this concept - or have been in the past - than the more recent Protestant denominations. There was a sense that it was possible to 'do religion' on behalf of those who didn't want to do it for themselves, for whatever reason. I'd like to know whether there's any theological mileage in these ideas today, because in an age of normalised pluralism and overarching secularism they might help to encourage the commitment of active Christians while not writing off all the people who are never going to be among their number.

[ 25. March 2014, 14:47: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
But I'm not sure it's my place to lecture God on morality...

Abraham believed differently....

"Shall not the Judge of all the earth do what is just?" (Genesis 18:25)

Of course, I'm not Abraham!

Be that as it may, I don't believe I'm lecturing God about morality. I'm arguing that the "God" who would need such a lecture doesn't exist--cannot exist. It's a crude misrepresentation of Christian universalism to present its argument against the damning-torturing "God" as an argument with that "God". I can well-imagine the prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel telling Elijah not to lecture Baal about morality.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Thing is, it's not about rejection. I don't know anyone who rejects God. I know a lot of people who don't believe he exists. And that's because they don't see a lot of reason to suppose that he does. If God regularly wandered down the street, asking us to accept or reject him, in full knowledge that he really was God, that'd be one thing. But it's not like that. How can you choose someone if you don't know they're there?

The Psalmist tells us that the fool has said in his heart there is no God. St. Anselm and St. Augustine tells us that we should believe so that me might understand and not seek understanding so that we might believe. IngoB tells us (and I paraphrase) dems da breaks.

--------------------

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:

If you spend too much time reading online arguments between atheists and Christians you do come across a lot of people who 'reject' God. But they probably aren't representative of most atheists.

Sorry, I know that was addressed to Karl....

But, is it really the case that those atheists know that God exists (that is, they're really theists) and they have, nevertheless, rejected him/her?

Some Christians find this a helpful belief to hold about atheists, but I wonder if any such "atheist" really exists -- I'm using the quotation marks, because such a person, by definition, isn't actually an atheist.

--------------------

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Mark 9:40 comes to mind:

quote:
38 John said to Him, "Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name, and we tried to prevent him because he was not following us." 39 But Jesus said, "Do not hinder him, for there is no one who will perform a miracle in My name, and be able soon afterward to speak evil of Me. 40 "For he who is not against us is for us. 41 "For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because of your name as followers of Christ, truly I say to you, he will not lose his reward.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

The Psalmist tells us that the fool has said in his heart there is no God. St. Anselm and St. Augustine tells us that we should believe so that me might understand and not seek understanding so that we might believe. IngoB tells us (and I paraphrase) dems da breaks.
So - you reckon either that atheists are too stupid to realise God exists, or have decided to pretend he doesn't?

Given that I also find it hard quite often to believe God exists, do you think I'm too stupid to see the truth or merely self-deceptive? I'd love to know.

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I do get that. But that's what I meant when I wrote about God revealing Himself in Jesus - that God has wandered down the street, literally and metaphorically, in Jesus. And, in a sense, I do think he regularly asks us to reject or accept him - continually, keeping coming back at us to try and persuade us to do so.

I also think this is where faith comes into play: that faith in God is about something other than "knowing" God exists. I don't know God exists, I don't believe I can prove to anyone's satisfaction that He does. I believe and have faith that He does and that He's willing to put up with a crappy servant of His like me. I don't think we'll ever get proof that He does exist - I think He calls us to take a risk and have faith that He does.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dubious Thomas

Well, you'll see that I put 'rejects' in quotation marks too!

For some ex-Christians who've made a deliberate decision after much thought and investigation the process may involve a period of re-adjustment that does at some stage require an act of rejecting God. A woman on one blog talks about saying a final: 'Sorry, God, but I don't believe in you any more.' (I'm quoting from memory.) Others feel the need to renounce their baptism publicly.

Some atheists argue that the God of the Bible is an utterly evil character. This may be an effective strategy when communicating with some believers but it does seem to rely on rejecting a certain image of God as part of the process of becoming an atheist. After all, if there's no God, what does it matter whether we describe him as good or evil? His personality is neither here nor there if logic is all that counts.

As I say though, I accept that many atheists probably don't have to engage with feelings of 'rejecting' God, especially if they don't come from a very religious background or have never had strong religious feelings themselves.

[ 25. March 2014, 15:36: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

quote:
quote:
But I'm not sure it's my place to lecture God on morality...

Abraham believed differently....

"Shall not the Judge of all the earth do what is just?" (Genesis 18:25)

Of course, I'm not Abraham!

Be that as it may, I don't believe I'm lecturing God about morality. I'm arguing that the "God" who would need such a lecture doesn't exist--cannot exist. It's a crude misrepresentation of Christian universalism to present its argument against the damning-torturing "God" as an argument with that "God". I can well-imagine the prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel telling Elijah not to lecture Baal about morality.

I didn't mean specifically you with that comment (and I nearly didn't put that last line in - still not sure that I should've... [Hot and Hormonal] ). I don't believe in the "damning torturing God" in the sense of one who willingly and happily consigns people to eternal damnation for doing one tiny little thing wrong.

But I don't believe the only options are universalism or a cruel, sadistic, damning torturing God. I just believe that God respects the decisions we make and the paths in life we choose to follow. I believe that in Jesus, God has revealed Himself and His love and His glory to the utmost degree in the hope that we would see this, believe in Him, and find the abundant life that Jesus in John's Gospel talks about.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

I do get that. But that's what I meant when I wrote about God revealing Himself in Jesus - that God has wandered down the street, literally and metaphorically, in Jesus. And, in a sense, I do think he regularly asks us to reject or accept him - continually, keeping coming back at us to try and persuade us to do so.
And yet I know plenty of people who find the idea of there being a God utterly preposterous. How do we know that Jesus was indeed God wandering down the street? We don't. If God has revealed himself, that revelation is extremely unclear. How do we know that Jesus is God's primary revelation of himself, and not the Koran? Or the teachings of the Buddha? We don't.

quote:
I also think this is where faith comes into play: that faith in God is about something other than "knowing" God exists. I don't know God exists, I don't believe I can prove to anyone's satisfaction that He does. I believe and have faith that He does and that He's willing to put up with a crappy servant of His like me. I don't think we'll ever get proof that He does exist - I think He calls us to take a risk and have faith that He does.
I don't find faith is something I can manufacture as an act of will. And I don't think you can realistically make a decision about a being that you don't see any reason to suppose exists. If God really is going to make our response to him such a deal breaker, he really needs to make it clear to humanity that he's really there and really is waiting on that decision.

[ 25. March 2014, 15:49: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
quote:
quote:

So - you reckon either that atheists are too stupid to realise God exists, or have decided to pretend he doesn't?

Given that I also find it hard quite often to believe God exists, do you think I'm too stupid to see the truth or merely self-deceptive? I'd love to know.

I'm not calling you or anybody else a fool. I can't see the heart of a person. Foolishness is not a lack of intelligence so much as a lack of wisdom. Proverbs tells us that the fool trusts in his own mind but he that walks in wisdom will be delivered. Often the most intelligent among us are also the most foolish. Who else trusts that much in their own intellect?

--------------------

que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But, is it really the case that those atheists know that God exists (that is, they're really theists) and they have, nevertheless, rejected him/her?

I've met a few who have actively (and often angrily) rejected the concept of God. Often for reasons like the idea of eternal punishment or because of the problem of suffering. More often perhaps because of their own experiences with religion. Often they do hold to some sort of primitive deism.

But most atheists I know/have known (the majority of my friends and neighbours over some 40 years) just find the whole idea the idea of religion 'silly' - except perhaps in the sense of providing ethical guidance or a sense of community. It less rejection than a sense of amazement that there are people who believe such things.

I don't find it silly, my contrarian instincts have led to me pointing out pro-God arguments, and even pro-religion arguments to atheist friends (some have expressed concern to my wife that I might "get" religion).

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

None of which whiffling flannel has addressed the question in any kind of meaningful way, BA.

--------------------

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
If we decide to ignore God or shut him out of our lives ... and resist whatever God does to win us back....

Do you really believe that it is possible for mere dust to effectively resist God?

As I engage with this thread, I realize what a "Calvinist" I really am, at least as far as "effectual calling" and "irresistible grace" are concerned.

If God really did "respect" our choices, we'd all be lost, because not one of us could freely choose God. Romans 9:16: "So it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God who shows mercy." Ephesians 2:8: "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not your own doing; it is the gift of God...."

I really think "damnationists" and "annihilationists" who try to justify their position based on God's respect for "free will" are going to have to come to terms with the strong biblical witness for God's absolute sovereignty and irresistible grace. It's not just us universalists who have a hard row to hoe when it comes to defending our beliefs in relation to Scripture.

But, in the end, a TUUIP is a much more beautiful flower than a TULIP! [Biased]

--------------------

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

quote:
I didn't mean specifically you with that comment (and I nearly didn't put that last line in - still not sure that I should've... [Hot and Hormonal] ).

Sorry! I didn't mean to imply that I was taking your statement personally. It's simply a "charge" I encounter a lot, and since your post was the latest to suggest it, I "pounced." My argument was not directed against you, but against the often-expressed idea that universalists are lecturing God on morality.

I'm glad you did put the comment in -- because this really is an important issue: Who/What are universalists arguing with/against when they insist that a damning/annihilating God is "immoral"? I can't and won't speak for other universalists, but my beef isn't with God, it's with God's PR firm! [Biased]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016