homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The Social Gospel (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The Social Gospel
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're Father Jack aren't you? What was it he called the poor?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Jade Constable:
That's the crux of it - that being able to hang on to money is more important than people not dying. That seems inherently un-Christian.

Perhaps, but unless you are a Dominionist wanting to live in a Christian Theocracy expecting the government to impose your view of Christianity upon others then your concern should be about you and other Christians treat the poor. Again, I've noticed Christians who preach the social gospel will offer any number of poor excuses for why they can't do more with the resources they have. Amazing how much those excuses sound like the ones given by conservatives who oppose the welfare state.

Any way of rationing care means some people will likely die who could have been saved if another way was used.

quote:
originally posted by MartinPC and Not Ship's Biohazard:
Why do you hate the poor?

[Killing me]

When did you stop beating your wife?

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BA - I promise you that I do all I can with all my resources. Again, I live in community. Others may be hypocrites there, I am not.

Also, wanting there to be a bare minimum of care for the public is not wanting to impose a theocracy, because this is also (IMO) part of being a civilised society even in secular terms, it's just that they coincide with Christianity. The fact is that not everyone who should give voluntarily will do so, and there will be a shortfall. Putting people before money means some kind of taxation.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And yet you say you can't do as much as the Salvation Army because you are an individual instead of an organization. The Salvation Army is nothing more than a denomination like any other Christian denomination. A church with more members could do even more than the Salvation Army. What are denominations but the cooperative work of local churches including those living in intentional community?

Arguing a civilized society should provide a certain level of care is one thing. Arguing that all good Christians will agree with you about the level of care and how is provided is another. The first is the purpose of politics in a democratic society. The second waters down Christianity by making it about politics instead of the sanctification of all regardless of wealth.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
And yet you say you can't do as much as the Salvation Army because you are an individual instead of an organization. The Salvation Army is nothing more than a denomination like any other Christian denomination. A church with more members could do even more than the Salvation Army. What are denominations but the cooperative work of local churches including those living in intentional community?

Arguing a civilized society should provide a certain level of care is one thing. Arguing that all good Christians will agree with you about the level of care and how is provided is another. The first is the purpose of politics in a democratic society. The second waters down Christianity by making it about politics instead of the sanctification of all regardless of wealth.

I do all I can with my resources - being an individual, that is less than that of an organisation that is a registered charity. I as an individual cannot register as a charity. I think it's completely right that the SA get to register as a charity and use those benefits, but they don't apply to me as an individual. With regards to my own church, it is not currently taking part in any social action projects, mostly due to expensive heating repairs. However the other church I attend for the young adult group has local social action projects and I am involved in those, along with regional ecumenical social action projects. Given that I have chronic disabilities and am in receipt of social action projects myself, I am not sure how that could be seen as an unreasonable level of action unless you wish to put me in hospital.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"A bunch uh bastards".

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Far and far and few are the land where the Jumblies live.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

My little English village parochial church continues to blow me away by its open armed inclusion (of a gay couple), ecumenism (with Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs and even Baptists!) and now generosity. I made an email appeal through correct channels on behalf of a former Christian, former class-A drug addict seeking to finance first aid training to work with addicts, with no hope, let alone expectation. A note was put in the printed notices on Sunday. My former 'missional' mega-church had already turned him down flat. Wouldn't even give him an on-stage interview. I know why. They are frightened that the poor in the congregation would respond.

In four days my local church (until they carry me out in a box I hope) more than paid for an accredited, certificated, three day Red Cross course which would have been impossible for him otherwise.

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016