homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » 8D - Kempistry - Prayers that really move you (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 8D - Kempistry - Prayers that really move you
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like delivering this (congregational rather than elemental)epiclesis from NZPB/HKMOA (NZ):
quote:
Empower our celebration with your Holy Spirit,
feed us with your life,
fire us with your love,
confront us with your justice,
and make us one in the body of Christ
with all who share your gifts of love.

(NZPB/HKMOA, 470)

as well as this Extended Communion Prayer
quote:
God, creator of time and space
may the love and faith
which makes
this bread the body of Christ
this wine his blood
enfold us now.
Make us one
with (the people of ...* and)
the whole body of Christ.
May Christ’s Holy Spirit
bring to us in the sacrament
the strength
and peace we need
and an abiding trust
in your gift of eternal life.
Amen.

(NZPB/HKMOA, 734)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zappa, the two prayers you cite from the New Zealand Prayerbook remind me of one bit of liturgy that I always find particularly meaningful—the epiclesis of the Great Thanksgiving in the Presbyterian (PC(USA)) liturgy:
quote:
Gracious God,
pour out your Holy Spirit upon us
and upon these your gifts of bread and wine,
that the bread we break
and the cup we bless
may be the communion of the body and blood of Christ.
By your Spirit make us one with the living Christ,
that we may be one with all who share this feast,
united in ministry in every place.
As this bread is Christ’s body for us,
send us out to be the body of Christ in the world.

I'm particularly find of the last sentence.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops. I meant to say particularly fond of the last sentence.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Circuit Rider

Ship's Itinerant
# 13088

- Posted      Profile for Circuit Rider   Email Circuit Rider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
I am always moved by the words of this prayer, from Compline in the 1979 BCP:

quote:
Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.
I have heard it attributed to St Augustine, but I am not sure.
I love this one too, Mamacita. It indeed brings a peaceful end to the day. We use it often in our family's Compline.
Posts: 715 | From: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
GRobit625
Apprentice
# 16330

- Posted      Profile for GRobit625         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone take a couple of prayers and combine them? For the grace I say over my meals I would pray the following: "Bless Father God these gifts to our use and us to your service and keep us ever-mindful of the needs of others, Through Jesus Christ our Lord Amen."
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome GRobit625 ... that's very similar to one of the graces I use

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Circuit Rider

Ship's Itinerant
# 13088

- Posted      Profile for Circuit Rider   Email Circuit Rider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GRobit625:
Does anyone take a couple of prayers and combine them? For the grace I say over my meals I would pray the following: "Bless Father God these gifts to our use and us to your service and keep us ever-mindful of the needs of others, Through Jesus Christ our Lord Amen."

Yes, GRobit625. I have combined the two prayers of Thanksgiving before for a Thanksgiving service. I have also taken the General Thanksgiving quoted above and made it into a Great Thanksgiving, working in an epiklesis at an appropriate place.

--------------------
I felt my heart strangely warmed ... and realised I had spilt hot coffee all over myself.

Posts: 715 | From: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.laundeabbey.org.uk/
The Launde Abbey Prayer

Father,

here may the faithful find salvation and the careless be awakened;
here may the doubting find faith and the anxious be encouraged;
here may the tempted find help and the sorrowful comfort;
here may the weary find rest and the strong be renewed;
here may we all find inspiration, and that peace which the world cannot give: your precious gift to us in Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.
Almost as good as being in their chapel

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ignatius of Loyola's Suscipe:

Take, Lord, and receive
all my liberty,
my memory,
my understanding,
and my entire will:
all that I have and possess.
You have given all to me.
To you, O lord, I return it.
All is yours;
dispose of it wholly according to your will.
Give me only your love
and your grace,
for this is sufficient for me.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This prayer, by an unknown author, is one I now use regularly, having found it in "Coming and Going" for the 1st Friday in Advent:

Tender providence of my God,
I commend myself entirely to you;
my problems and my perplexities,
my desires and my difficulties,
my earthly and eternal future,
the wants of my body,
the needs of my soul,
are in your loving care.
Though my faults are evident,
and my sins are many,
my hope in your goodness
sustains my love.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GRobit625:

That's almost exactly what we use.

Although someone I often dine with occasionally gets very long-winded when saying grace, and I admit I have sometimes offered a silent prayer that our Lord work a miracle so that the food for which we give thanks will be as hot when the grace is over as it was when placed before us. Amen.

(And I've found that the longer an extemporaneous grace gets, the more homiletic it gets--"Help us to remember..." Which is something that irritates me greatly.)

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am moved by these two post-Communions.

I honestly have no idea why the revisers of the US 79 felt the need to truncate the powerful theology expressed in this beautiful prayer:

Almighty and everliving God, we most heartily thank thee, for that thou dost vouchsafe to feed us, who have duly received these holy mysteries, with the spiritual food of the most precious Body and Blood of thy Son our Saviour Jesus Christ; and dost assure us thereby of thy favour and goodness towards us; and that we are very members incorporate in the mystical body of thy Son, which is the blessed company of all faithful people; and are also heirs through hope of thy everlasting kingdom, by the merits of the most precious death and passion of thy dear Son. And we most humbly beseech thee, O heavenly Father, so to assist us with thy grace, that we may continue in that holy fellowship, and do all such good works as thou hast prepared for us to walk in; through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom, with thee and the Holy Ghost, be all honour and glory, world without end. Amen.

Another one which came out in 1980 I believe and is known and loved through the whole of the Anglophone Anglican Communion, with the exception of TEC. Some people call the alliterations cheesy, for me the make this prayer memorable and meaningful:

Father of all, we give you thanks and praise, that when we were still far off you met us in your Son and brought us home. Dying and living, he declared your love, gave us grace, and opened the gate of glory. May we who share Christ's body live his risen life; we who drink his cup bring life to others; we whom the Spirit lights give light to the world. Keep us firm in the hope you have set before us, so we and all your children shall be free, and the whole earth live to praise your name; through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Give me revisions like that all day long!

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aye. That last one is common in the Anglican Church of Australia. I love it too. Perfect end to a perfect feast.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one of my faves:

quote:
God of grace, we thank you for all your gifts to us: grant us to accept both pain and joy in faith and hope, and never to fail in love to you and to our sisters an brothers, through Jesus Christ your son our Lord. Amen.
Tuesday evening office
Anglican Prayer book for Australia. pg 400

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Newman's best, IMO:
quote:
May he support us all the day long till the shades lengthen and the evening comes and the busy world is hushed and the fever of life is over and our work is done. Then in his mercy may he give us a safe lodging and a holy rest and peace at the last.
Often 'reserved' for Evensong or funerals which seems a shame.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A beautiful prayer which I found is said regularly on Norfolk Island:

Suffer me not O Lord to waste this day in sin or folly,
But let me worship Thee with much delight.
Teach me to know more of Thee,
And to serve Thee better than ever I have done before,
That I may be fitter to dwell in Heaven,
Where Thy worship and service are everlasting.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Three for me:

First is the third collect from Evensong "Lighten our darkness..." which has been mentioned several times up thread before.

Second is the simple Jesus Prayer:

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner."

Third is the Iona invitation to Communion:

"This is the table not of the Church but of the Lord.
It is to be made ready for those who love him,
and who want to love him more.

So, come,
you who have much faith
and you who have little,
you who have been here often
and you who have not been for a very long time,
you who have tried to follow
and you who have failed.

Come, not because it is I who invite you:
it is our Lord.
It is his will that those who want him
should meet him here."

I'm very pleased to say that this third prayer is now used at the introduction of the Liturgy of the Sacrament in our shack in Ordinary Time.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This. I'm afraid I don't know its provenance but have heard it several times and used it occasionally:
quote:
O God of unchangeable power and eternal light:
Look favourably on your whole Church,
that wonderful and sacred mystery;
by the effectual working of your providence,
carry out in tranquility the plan of salvation;
let the whole world know
that things that were being cast down are being raised up,
and things which had grown old are being made new,
and that all things are being brought to their perfection
by him through whom all things were made,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord;
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But most of all, the Exsultet.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Angloid - it's from the Easter Vigil service too - follows the Zephaniah reading (p285/291 of that link)

[ 20. August 2014, 00:26: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, found another link that attributes that prayer to the "Gelasian Sacramentary, 7th century"

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always found the prayer of Saint Brendan to be rather moving - if it can indeed be called a prayer; it's more of a Gethsemane type plea to be let off the hook. It has a resonance for an island people all too familiar with emigration. It is Brendan's prayer immediately after recognising his calling to take the Gospel to the next shore as he stands on the beach staring out into the violent Atlantic ocean.

Shall I abandon, O King of mysteries, the soft comforts of home?
Shall I turn my back on my native land, and turn my face towards the sea?
Shall I put myself wholly at your mercy, without silver, without a horse, without fame, without honour?
Shall I throw myself wholly upon you, without sword and shield, without food and drink, without a bed to lie on?
Shall I say farewell to my beautiful land, placing myself under your yoke?
Shall I pour out my heart to you, confessing my manifold sins and begging forgiveness, tears streaming down my cheeks?
Shall I leave the prints of my knees on the sandy beach, a record of my final prayer in my native land?
Shall I then suffer the kind of wound that only the sea can inflict?
Shall I take my tiny boat across the wide, sparkling ocean?
O King of the glorious heaven, shall I go of my own choice upon the sea?
O Christ, will you help me on the wild waves?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Angloid - it's from the Easter Vigil service too - follows the Zephaniah reading (p285/291 of that link)

Which version of the Easter Vigil is that? I couldn't find it in Common Worship but didn't look properly in Times and Seasons. Is it perhaps the American BCP?
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

That link is the Episcopal Church online BCP, the other link is to the Lambeth Conference - which makes me wonder why I know it, because I've definitely seen it before.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
This. I'm afraid I don't know its provenance but have heard it several times and used it occasionally:
quote:
O God of unchangeable power and eternal light:
Look favourably on your whole Church,
that wonderful and sacred mystery;
by the effectual working of your providence,
carry out in tranquility the plan of salvation;
let the whole world know
that things that were being cast down are being raised up,
and things which had grown old are being made new,
and that all things are being brought to their perfection
by him through whom all things were made,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord;
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

It is from Times & Seasons Good Friday Liturgy and rounds of the solemn prayers.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the greatest gems of Anglican liturgy is, IMO, the Pyayer of Humble Acess:

" We do not presume to come to this thy Table, O merciful Lord, trusting in our own righteousness, but in thy manifold and great mercies. We are not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under thy Table. But thou art the same Lord, whose property is always to have mercy: Grant us therefore, gracious Lord, so to eat the flesh of thy dear Son Jesus Christ, and to drink his blood, that our sinful bodies may be made clean by his body, and our souls washed through his most precious blood, and that we may evermore dwell in him, and he in us. Amen."

Probably writted by Cranmer himself, as it appeared in his 1548 book of new prayers, as well as in the 1549 BCP. Another favourite, which I always say on my knees after receiving communion is a secret prayer from the older Roman Missal, which is translated in the English Missal as:

" Let thy Body, O Lord, which I have taken, and thy Blood which I have drunk, cleave unto my members: and grant; that no stain of sin may remain in me, whom thou hast refreshed with these pure and holy sacraments: Who livest and reignest world without end. Amen"

Very appropriate after communion!

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Axe murder] Prayer of Humble Access [Axe murder]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has been suggested that this thread might be of interest for discussion on the experimental '8th Day' board, Kempistry. So, we are going to try floating it there.

Posters new and old are all welcome!

Dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blowing away my hopeless negative expectations. Thank you.
Amen.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016