homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As all other Who threads seem to have dropped off the bottom of the board, I thought I'd take the initiative ...

I need hardly tell fellow fans that in about four days, seven hours and fifty-three minutes, Matt Smith will make his (proper) debut as the Doctor in a story called The Eleventh Hour. There are snippets and previews of the coming series on the Dr Who BBC site, and on the Radio Times site, the TARDIS's makeover has been revealed.

(I think it looks stunning!)

[ 17. June 2016, 14:39: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, it seems to link the style from the classic series with the current show. I'm really looking forward to it. My gut feeling is that he will be excellent in the role.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But why did they have to clash it with our Easter Vigil? (Actually it's on before the Vigil, but we'll have to get to church during it!)

Obviously a reason to press for a dawn Vigil next year!

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O no! I was checking about a BBC3 repeat for you, Carys, and it turns out I've got it all wrong! I thought it was 7pm on Saturday, but it's 6.20pm Saturday on BBC1, repeated at 7pm Sunday on BBC3.

And the opening episode is 65 minutes long! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
and on the Radio Times site, the TARDIS's makeover has been revealed.

Oh dear. The new Doctor's going to be travelling through time and space in some kind of intergalactic cocktail bar. [Roll Eyes]
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
O no! I was checking about a BBC3 repeat for you, Carys, and it turns out I've got it all wrong! I thought it was 7pm on Saturday, but it's 6.20pm Saturday on BBC1, repeated at 7pm Sunday on BBC3.

And the opening episode is 65 minutes long! [Big Grin]

Still clashes with my need to be in church by 7.15 on Holy Saturday to rehearse for the Vigil - will the vicar notice if one of his curates is 15 minutes late?

Looking forward to seeing how Matt and (the gorgeous) Amy take on the Tardis. Big sneakers to fill, Matt!

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
Still clashes with my need to be in church by 7.15 on Holy Saturday to rehearse for the Vigil - will the vicar notice if one of his curates is 15 minutes late?

Probably! Your vigil is later than ours. Despite the fact that it was still light last year we've stuck with the 7:30pm start time.

And the BBC 3 repeat is no use if I'm going to go to London that evening. But it'll be on I-player on the red button and my parents have Virgin+ so they'll record it. So maybe I will stay there on Saturday night and we can watch it after the Vigil and party!

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
and on the Radio Times site, the TARDIS's makeover has been revealed.

Oh dear. The new Doctor's going to be travelling through time and space in some kind of intergalactic cocktail bar. [Roll Eyes]
I see what you mean, but it looks a bit too messy to be a cocktail bar. It looks a bit like the old one, with more glowing. I can't get any sense of scale from that either - it looks like everything's far too big, and the floor seems horribly uneven.

Maybe it'll look better in action.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

- Posted      Profile for hereweare   Email hereweare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BBC iplayer is your friend!

--------------------
Come home to Rome this Christmas!

Posts: 206 | From: here | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So is Sky+ HD!

Recording set!!

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hereweare:
BBC iplayer is your friend!

Welcome, hereweare!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
it's 6.20pm Saturday on BBC1, repeated at 7pm Sunday on BBC3.

Over here it doesn't appear until the 17th.

May we have a spoiler gap (or at least a warning in the title) at least until the new season gets started?

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure about the colour scheme. Looks like a giant ladybird (maybe one of those South African ones who've been plaguing our lives in the UK recently?)

Is this new design permanent, I wonder? There was a Blue Peter competition to redesign the Tardis, but it implied the winning design would only be used in one episode. Maybe he plays about with various designs, like you do when you get a new computer.

I always feel that a new Doctor is a bit like a new vicar. Your first reaction is to harrumph because he isn't like the old one, and he isn't half as good. Then you start getting used to him and appreciating his own take on things.

Although 'my Doctor' will always be Tom Baker, I've found something to like about all of them (even Colin Baker, who's been allowed to develop the character properly in the audio stories).

I'm really looking forward to the new guy, and I suspect the youthful appearance will bring a very different dynamic. (Just imagine what would happen if he met a fully recovered Donna. 'Oi, Timeboy! You're grounded!'

Can't wait for Saturday night. Mr Smith, I need you...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very unsure about the new companion. I heard her interviewed and she came over as giggly and whiney, which is a big come down after the glory days of Martha Jones (surely the best new companion to date). On the other hand there is some interesting timey-wimey stuff coming up. The Radio Times season summary says of one episode: "It is now five years since Amy (new companion) first met the Doctor," which does sound intriguing.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Unda Maris
Shipmate
# 4983

- Posted      Profile for Unda Maris   Email Unda Maris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear the next doctor will be Bruce Forsyth?

--------------------
Competence costs extra!

Posts: 66 | From: Solihull - the centre of England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
The Radio Times season summary says of one episode: "It is now five years since Amy (new companion) first met the Doctor," which does sound intriguing.

Have you seen the clips they're showing on the Freeview Red Button? I think they and a little extrapolation answer what's happening there. If I'm right we'll know within the first 5 mins of the episode.

I must admit I am quite excited about the new series. I hope I'm not falling prey to hype. I do thing Moffat was the most consistently good writer of the new-Whos (though as ever Paul Cornell gets my vote for Human Nature/Family of Blood as outright best) and Matt Smith seems intriguing in the clips I've seen.

After the disappointment that was the specials of last year I'm hoping for the best.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Unda Maris:

Surely not.

(Could be fun though. "Ooh look, a new planet - nice to see it, to see it, nice!")

Best new companion so far - Wilf. He was brilliant.

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wilson:
quote:
The Radio Times season summary says of one episode: "It is now five years since Amy (new companion) first met the Doctor," which does sound intriguing.

Have you seen the clips they're showing on the Freeview Red Button? I think they and a little extrapolation answer what's happening there. If I'm right we'll know within the first 5 mins of the episode.
Just realised that you said one episode rather than episode one - what I said probably doesn't apply then.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Re: Amy and the Doctor. Steven Moffat has always been the most interesting writer when it comes to the timey-wimey stuff (Blink, Girl in the Fireplace) so I hope we're going to be getting lots more in the new series.

Moffat is a superb writer generally. His dialogue glitters. I just hope he's got enough of it in him now that he's Lord High Writer of Scripts, or whatever his title is. He recently enthused about the new Doctor being "mad", which sounds fun.

Shall we, for basso et al., try to pursue our previous custom of having

Spoiler alert

at the heading of relevant posts, followed by - what? - 4 or 5 blank (or ".") lines? Or perhaps, in allusion to Moffat -

"Sshh! Spoilers!"

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Very unsure about the new companion. I heard her interviewed and she came over as giggly and whiney (snip)

So did Catherine Tate on several programmes I've seen her on (Buzzcocks for a start). She came across as a complete airhead, which she obviously isn't, and neither was Donna.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blink

In all my years Doctor watching, that episode is the only one to give me nightmares. I will never look at statues the same way.

I'll have to wait for Netflix to catch up. I'm not adding $25 to my cable bill just to get BBC America. Even for the Doctor.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No, the doctors are getting younger at such a rate that the next one will be in utero.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esmeralda:
quote:

No, the doctors are getting younger at such a rate that the next one will be in utero.
That raises the question - where would he fit the Tardis? [Help] Or could he control it through the placenta and his mother? Pre-natal Time Lord behaviour: a Gallifreyan PhD thesis, perhaps that's how he came to be a Doctor? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Esmeralda:
quote:

[engage nerd mode]

There's been a gradual trend to getting younger, but it's not a linear trend. Ages at which the actor has first appeared on tv as the Doctor (for most, that means the regeneration scene from their predecessor) are:

55, 46, 50, 40, 29, 41, 44, 36, 41, 34, 27.

[disengage nerd mode]

I think some people imagine William Hartnell was a lot older than he actually was when he first took on the role. Folklore has it that there was a lot of disgruntled mumbling among some fans when "young" Tom Baker took over the role, and again when Peter Davison took over.

Regardless of their actual age, some of the actors have been able to communicate by their manner that the Doctor is centuries old - Tom Baker and, to a lesser extent, Sylvester McCoy spring to my mind. Who knows what Matt Smith will manage to do?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Folklore has it that there was a lot of disgruntled mumbling among some fans when "young" Tom Baker took over the role, and again when Peter Davison took over.

I was certainly disgruntled when Tom Baker took over, but Peter Davison was delightful. Even if he did get lumbered with the appalling Peri and Adric and some dodgy plotlines.
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Steven Moffat does with the show. I really enjoyed Russell T Davies' stint on the show, but I felt that it became a bit self-indulgent and repeated the same ideas to somewhat diminishing returns in the last couple of years.

I'm particularly excited by comments from Moffat and Matt Smith in interviews that the new series is intricately plotted, in a way that rewards careful attention and viewing. RTD's strength were big moments of drama and emotion, with plot and logic sometimes lagging a long way behind - his stories are exciting at the time, but sometimes fall apart on further scrutiny. Whereas Moffat's scripts are still dramatic, funny, scary and so on, but also with a lot more logic and cleverness to them.

I'm also intrigued by the notion that they're shifting the tone more in the direction of "dark fairytale". Doctor Who has always been quite fairytale, but I think it will make a nice change on the bright and brash, urban and contemporary style of the RTD years to play up the fairytale aspects of the show.

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well... He's certainly different from Tennant.... Has potential. She seems not too bad, although I hope it doesn't go down the Rose route. Nice twist at the end.
Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It's not often that I sit there feeling bored by an episode of Doctor Who but that was a silly, unimpressive start to the new series. An over-long episode that either limped or went at a frenetic pace. I hope it improves, because it's verging on the unwatchable.

Matt Smith was better than I expected, and may do justice to the role once he settles into it, but I found Amy/Amelia hard to like.

Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I liked:
- the inserts of the old Doctors.
- the new interior of the TARDIS. Loved the typewriter!
- the dialogue (but see below)

I didn't like:
- the theme tune and titles. What happened to the oooo-eeeee-ooooo?
- Matt Smith. I kept thinking that DT would have delivered the lines much better. Particularly the comic ones. Some of the dialogue was great (e.g. the 'aunt' line) but Matt Smith didn't seem to have the comic timing to carry them off.
- There seemed rather too much innuendo (kissogram; chap looking at dodgy internet sites; Amy seeing the Doctor strip) for a children's show.

Overall, I hope it gets better!

Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Psychman

Shipmate
# 10806

- Posted      Profile for Psychman   Author's homepage   Email Psychman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well I thoroughly enjoyed that and feel that Doctor who is safe hands with Stephen Moffat at the Helm.

First episodes are always tricky when the doctor has just regenerated but I loved the zooming camera giving an insight into the doctor's mind and the way he takes in and processes information. The telling off of the eye cops was also awesome, referencing past villains and incarnations.

Looking forward to where we'll be going over the next season!

Posts: 36 | From: Bristol, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I loved it, I think Matt Smith is going to be brilliant as the Doctor. It took about two minutes for me to realise, yes, he IS the Doctor! Just perfect. He's got the same immediate confidence that David Tennant had.

Liked the opening - poor old Big Ben nearly gets it again!

Pretty alien spaceships, and I loved the ending - the Doctor more or less telling off the aliens like naughty kids.

Nice new interior for the Tardis.

Good to see Annette Crosbie as Amy's grandma. And Patrick Moore getting a cameo, great!

I did think though that the Doctor's first meeting with Amy and subsequent meetings, was a little bit similar to Girl in the Fireplace?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Shipmate
# 15431

- Posted      Profile for Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SPOILER ALERT
I have been awaiting the 2010 series of Doctor Who with eagerness. It was one of my favourite programs as a child, and I very quickly became a fan of the revamped series. I have mixed feelings about Russell T Davies. It is wonderful that he put the Doctor back on the telly, and as a writer he was superb at developing character and emotion. I hope this is his legacy to the show. However, I found that his approach to science fiction sometimes grated with me. He seemed to have a love for the spectacular that did not always fit well with the show. For me, some of the appeal of Doctor Who lies in its quirkiness, and some of RTD's episodes were a bit too much like space opera for my taste. Don't get me wrong - I think Star Wars is great fun, but it doesn't fit well in a Doctor Who universe. (Having bashed RTD's writing, I should point out that one of his stories - "Midnight" - is one of my favourites of the new Doctor Who.)

One writer who seemed to grasp what made the old series tick was Steven Moffat. He was one of the most consistently good writers for the new series. His science fiction ideas seem refeshingly original. Also, to me he "explores a story" rather than trying to dazzle you. I appreciate that. So I was optimistic about the future of Doctor Who under his stewardship.

I have also been optimistic about the choice of Matt Smith for the role of the Doctor. I get the impression that Smith really understands the Doctor's character. According to Smith, the Doctor doesn't see himself as a swashbuckling adventurer. Rather he sees himself as a really clever bloke on his way to a museum or a concert, off to somewhere where he can show off. He just keeps on getting distracted by monsters. I think this nails the Doctor's character on the head.

But now the first episode has been aired, has my optimism been rewarded? I think, on the whole, yes. Moffat has written a solid first episode, that does an excellent job of starting the relationship between the new Doctor and the new companion. The eccentricity of the Doctor is wonderfully portrayed. I almost want to try fish fingers and custard now. But what I loved was the way Amy's character was developed. Imagine being given the chance, as an adult, to live in your childhood fantasies. Who wouldn't take it? I also enjoyed the way their relationship rogressed. Rather than use an easy human-meets-alien-danger, Doctor-defeats-alien then impressed-human-decides-to-travel-with-Doctor plot, Moffat tells a tale of promises not kept and resentment created. It was this tension that really drove the episode for me.

The villain/monster was fairly standard Doctor Who fare. There were shades of RTD with the world-in-peril plot (and boy, does the Doctor know how to hack his way into every corner of the internet). However, I found this no problem. This episode is really about introducing the Doctor and his new companion to each other. Anything other than a standard Doctor Who monster would probably have been a distraction from this. So the need for the first episode to set the key relationship up does mean that some orginality had to be sacrificed. Also, it does mean that the episode only works as a set-up for the new season.

How about the acting? Both Matt Smith and Karen Gillan did well, I thought. Smith brought charisma to the role, and was able to make the most of some of the Doctor's eccentricities. I look forward to seing how he develops the character.

All in all, I like this episode because it promises that this new season will be worth watching. Moffat has learned well from RTD. He has retained the exploration of emotions that RTD introduced. If he adds some of his science-fiction magic to the rest of the series, I will be one happy viewer. Moffat has said that he sees Doctor Who as a dark fairytale, and so far the results look promising. Moffat's tale of a bumbling wizard who inadvertantly broke a child's heart has made me want to hear more. I will tune in again next week.

Score: 7/10. By its very nature it's a humble tale, but Moffat does as well as anyone could with it. A solid start to the new season.

--------------------
was phil2357

Posts: 76 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Badger Lady:
I didn't like:
- the theme tune and titles. What happened to the oooo-eeeee-ooooo?

Yes, that was an integral part of it. IMO.

I dunno, the whole thing didn't really feel like Doctor Who, more like a sort of not particularly successful alternative version of it. Still, nice to see the stone angels will be back - I wonder if someone moved them!

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really, really loved it! [Yipee]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was very promising, and had no pangs of regret for the loss of DT. Matt Smith reminded me of the earliest Who incarnations, and makes a credible Doctor.

Amy seems a lively sort of girl, and I have no problems with her as the companion - as long as she doesn't start mooning over The Doctor.
I did wince a bit at the start, when I realised that Amelia was praying to Santa.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh, I'm not *quite* sure about some things. It went a bit 'monster of the day' towards the end, with yet another batch of spaceships hovering over London or Cardiff and the Doctor playing God in a manner more suited to Gandalf than, Jon Pertwee.

Sidekick not bad and I liked seeing herself from Peep Show up to know good. Oh, yes, and hooray for Sir Patrick and Mrs Meldrew.

Do I like the Mr Smith? No, not immediately, I don't. But early days - let's see him bed in...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't help thinking he looks a bit like Damian Thompson - it's a bit disturbing!

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
markey
Shipmate
# 14847

- Posted      Profile for markey   Email markey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Badger Lady and I don't like the new music. [Mad] Why they feel the need to mess about with the theme every season is beyond me.
However, the new Doctor seems fairly personable. He does look very young, but then 'my' Doctor was Patrick Troughton, so a lot of things are starting to look very young!!

Posts: 136 | From: south east England | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I enjoyed it, apart from the new theme tune. Clearly things are being set up for the finale already - the monster taunting the Doctor with not knowing what was causing the cracks was effective. And I can only presume that the references to "the Silence" means that the universe is in danger of being overrun by Cistercian monks.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Sshh! Spoilers
I liked pretty much everything except the actual story! And the new theme tune. For me there were too many references to other stories going on for it to be really engaging. The stand-off between the Doctor and Prisoner Zero in the hospital was too much like Smith and Jones, and the Doctor scaring the alien away just because he's the Doctor was (a) too much like Forest of the Dead and (b) a very bad idea anyway. I really, really hope we don't see it again.

However, Matt Smith was fantastic, and so was Karen Gillan. Some of the one-liners were very good indeed ("You're Scottish - fry something." "I'm the Doctor, I'm worse than everybody's aunt." "Who da man?! ... Hm. Not going to say that again.").

Nice to see it set in a charming Gloucestershire village (filmed in Llandaff, horribly mispronounced by the narrator on Confidential - more phlegm, dear, more phlegm) instead of London or Cardiff.

All in all, good fun. Doctors' first stories are rarely among my favourites (not since Spearhead from Space anyway!), and this was okay story-wise and a chance for the new cast, crew (and TARDIS) to glitter a bit before really getting down to business.

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if you'd say this contains spoilers, but I'm saying
SPOILERS
just in case!

I liked it very much apart from the new theme tune. I don't particularly find Amy a sympathetic character yet but with the plot one can understand why she's prickly. And as Mr D said, Donna was very unpleasant to begin with and I got to like her very much.

I really felt Matt Smith fitted the Doctor's shoes well and I think he will do me very nicely. (As a Doctor. For anything else my heart still belongs to DT!! [Biased] )

All in all I thought it was most acceptable - and it had a definite Moffat-esqueness with the fearing what you see "from the corner of your eye".

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:

Do I like the Mr Smith? No, not immediately, I don't. But early days - let's see him bed in...

for a minute there, I though you had put the last 2 words the other way round [Eek!]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rock Pig
Shipmate
# 14503

- Posted      Profile for Rock Pig   Author's homepage   Email Rock Pig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"not filmed in Cardiff, filmed in Llandaff"?

[Killing me]

Last time I was there Llandaff was IN Cardiff.

--------------------
If the neighbours ain't complainin', you ain't playin' it loud enough.

Posts: 148 | From: Old York | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enjoyed it. Watching again right now. However, atm, Matt Smith is delivering the lines EXACTLY as David Tennant would - hope he develops his own style as it goes on.

The episode trailer for the new series looks GREAT!

At least the theme tune is still recognizably *Diddly-Dum, Diddly-Dum, Whoooooo-Whooooooo* [Biased]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
fluff
Shipmate
# 12871

- Posted      Profile for fluff   Email fluff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did enjoy it.

The thing was so beautifully done. I Love the way the garden was filmed at the very beginning of the episode: all those dark shades; it's little touches like this that make the revived series so watchable I find. The visual flashback from the point of view of the Dr. And Matt Smith was excellent in the part. I hope it will be a great success.

Posts: 109 | From: South England | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:

The episode trailer for the new series looks GREAT!

Except it had Daleks and Cybermen in it. They really need to give them a rest - Daleks for a year or two and Cybermen (along with the Master) for a lot longer than that. Lets have some new enemies for a change.

And the Awful Warnings ar e far too similar to the last few series. I hope they turn out to be empty threats, Macguffins at most, and the real plot turns out not to be about some Dark Magic from the Beginning of Time threatening the Existence of the Universe As We Know It. RTD did enough of those.

Though it was quite fun [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best episodes, like the stone angels and Midnight, tend to be outside the story arc.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what was missing? Nobody got killed that we know of. There were a couple of times when the monster snarled threateningly at people, but it didn't actually ever do anything except change shape. And if the Doctor is yelling 'don't go in the room, don't look straight at the monster', it's a bit of a let down if all the monster then does is hiss a bit and then let the human run back out of the room.

It may have killed the doctor (small 'd') when it came out of the air vent, but it would seem more likely that it just put her into a coma.

If the monster had tried to pull a sympathy ploy when confronted instead of going all evil villain and twirling its metaphorical moustache I think we'd have been persuaded. Putting people in comas is bad, but not compared to blowing up an entire planet.

Otherwise, as said, Doctor promising, assistant not quite a proper character just yet, theme tune thumbs down.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the new doctor will be a success. While I didn't like his face, his acting was very Doctor-like. I loved the new companion. Think the story with her upcoming marriage might unfold nicely. Didn't notice the theme song changed. Enjoyed the fact the episode was long. It had some moments that could have been made really scary, but I guess they chose not to make it too dark. Did enjoy though the mystery around "Prisoner Zero" at the first half. The scenes from the upcoming episodes look interesting.
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked it a lot, although I'm with Ken on daleks, cybermen and Big Warnings (also, I think we've had the assistant-gets-whisked-away-from-wedding scenario a bit too recently for a revival).

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016