homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's been time for Amy to have met the daleks off screen. (In fact, I gather there's a computer game on the BBC website.)

[ 19. June 2010, 20:46: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
(The Tardis will have to be still intact if there are to be any more episodes. They can't leave the Doctor stuck in the Pandoricon for the rest of eternity, and it's not going to be much of a series if he's earthbound.)

Agreed on the big picture, but I seem to remember a series of John Pertwee being exactly that [ETA: earthbound, not stuck in the pandora-thingy!]? Due to the Time Lords of course, budget constraints had noting to do with it [Smile]

- Chris.

PS: I have faith the The Moff can get out of this one - but I very much look forward to seeing how...

[ 20. June 2010, 20:49: Message edited by: sanityman ]

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pious Pelican
Shipmate
# 13120

- Posted      Profile for Pious Pelican     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Somehow the resulting energy - or the sonic screwdriver - will close the crack in the wall.

(The Tardis will have to be still intact if there are to be any more episodes. They can't leave the Doctor stuck in the Pandoricon for the rest of eternity, and it's not going to be much of a series if he's earthbound.) [/QB]

I've been wondering for a while whether we might be in for a period of Earthboundness. Hopefully a brief period. The Doctor has been saying in various episodes how awful it must be to experience time in the normal way, so I guessed that maybe the Tardis was going to be out of action for a bit. And that was before the Doctor pulled a steaming chunk of it out of the crack. But perhaps the Doctor's Tardis is not the only one in town ...

If the bluddy sonic screwdriver ends up saving the day, I will probably eat my computer in a fit of rage.

--------------------
O Lord, thou hast searched me out and known me: thou knowest my down-sitting and mine up-rising, thou understandest my thoughts long before.

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The new Dr Who and his Companion are pretty damn good although the stories can be a bit wobbly.

I must say I think the late John Pertwee was the absolutiest best Dr Who and Elizabeth Sladen (still gorgeous at 60) a Companion of real delight. What a corker! [Devil]

I find that some of the older Dr Who stories, although they didn't have the modern whizzbangs, were really good and you suspended belief.

As things get more technical, sadly, you don't have to. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, after having been so lukewarm about many of the episodes so far, I must say that I really enjoyed this one. The opening, with lots of glimpses of previous stories, was fun. I'm not sure it made any sense, but it was fun. The big revelation about the Pandoricon worked for me, and I can't see any way out at the moment. My only reservation is that it all seems to be centered around Amy in some way. If there is something special about her, then it will make 3 out of 4 companions with super powers, which is a bit much (the wonderful Martha Jones being the exception). However, with a bit of luck, Amy is now dead, so we can all rejoice. (Except she's bound to be saved next episode.)

And Sir P, loath though I am to disagree with you, Pertwee was a real low point among the Doctors. He used physical force, as opposed to intellect, to beat the bad guys. Venusian martial arts? Pah!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well that was the first episode in a long time that's had me literally on the edge of my seat and going "Nooooo!!" at the tv. Fantastic! The problem is, I can imagine several ways out of it, but each more outrageous than the last.

It did strike me that this one was exceptionally well directed and paced. I must check to see if this director's been used before, and I certainly hope he's used again.

Ssh! Spoilers - for anyone who hasn't seen it

Things I didn't expect included the lengthy pre-credits jaunt (Does Liz 10 attend to all her own security?) and the alliance of all the enemies - I'd only really expected them to get name-checked, or appear briefly in a flashback. Things I really didn't expect were Rory, Auton-Rory, and ... well, so's not to really spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, let's just call it Amy's final scene.

Well ... that's my next Saturday evening sorted out.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I expect when the Tardis blows up, taking River with it, it'll have timey-wimey implications that will catapult them all back into a parallel universe where Rory never died, Amy hasn't been killed, the Doctor isn't in the Pandoricon, and the Tardis is still intact.

Also, the River that's in the Tardis hasn't yet met Amy and the Doctor at the Crash of the Byzantium. (She chided Amy about spoilers when she mentioned it at Stone Henge). So either she has to survive or there'll be another time anomaly[*].

[*]I love Blink but I hate the phrase "timey-wimey".

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was anyone else reminded during this episode of how, back in Victory of the Multi-Coloured Daleks, Amy managed to talk Bracewell out of exploding using the power of love?
Oh dear.

[ 21. June 2010, 10:24: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking out loud...

The alliance haven't thought this through... they are trying to stop the cracks in space, using Amy's memories to set up the trap, yet without the cracks Amy and Doctor wouldn't have got together and they wouldn't have Amy's info to set up the trap and so Doctor not caught and they not protected from the explosion.

and the Pandorican implodes in a puff of logic

But as Tardis still flying....

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wilson:
Also, the River that's in the Tardis hasn't yet met Amy and the Doctor at the Crash of the Byzantium. (She chided Amy about spoilers when she mentioned it at Stone Henge). So either she has to survive or there'll be another time anomaly[*].

I'm kind of getting the impression that the Doctor is meeting River pretty much in reverse order to what she is meeting him in.

It stands to reason that at some point in their relationship they'll have discussed the order they met each other in and it'll be references like "crash of the byzantium," but not enough to be real spoilers for either of them. Therefore she doesn't really knows what happens each time other than they both must survive.

I do hope the whole thing isn't in Amy's head. She won't be really dead as there will be some way round it and we still haven't explained Amy sending the message from the future to herself on the England Ship or the Doctor coming back to support Amy in the forest with the weeping angels... Both too obvious to just be continuity errors.

Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't help thinking of that other alliance, especially as so many of them were wearing blue or yellow.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was all a bit Indiana Jones for my liking.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Indiana Jones, too - but after I'd poured myself a stiff whisky and thought about it, I also remembered the line from the Crash of the Byzantium episode: "There's one thing you should never put in a trap - me!"

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wayfaring Stranger
Apprentice
# 15081

- Posted      Profile for Wayfaring Stranger   Email Wayfaring Stranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But this series has been a disappointment. Maybe now that they're recycling old plotlines (I'm sure we had The Alien in the Attic with Perception Filters before) it's just run out of steam, and time to call it a day?

When your favourite band comes out with a greatest hits compilation rather than a new album, you know the creativity is starting to run dry.

Similarly, when when one of New Who's most creative writers can't do better than a gratuitous reunion of monsters from previous stories, you start to suspect that the ideas bank is getting short of funds.

The Daleks are a great enemy (or at least they were until their makeover), but did anyone else think, when they heard that evil voice over the ether, Oh please, not them AGAIN! It's getting to be a series finale tradition, and their over-use is undermining their whole impact.

As for the rest of the alliance, it was just the same old same old - they even wheeled out the bloody Judoon, who weren't technically enemies at all. I mean, why not give the Doctor a 'new' foe to confront, e.g. The Ice Warriors (whose return I have long awaited)?

As someone else has commented, it's all getting bigger and bigger - every finale has to top the last one, the whole earth is under threat ... no, the whole universe ... no, the whole of time itself! For me, the bigger the scale, the less relevant the story always feels.

Oh, and instead of locking the Doctor in The Pandoricum for all eternity, why didn't they just, er, kill him?

Posts: 11 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Was anyone else reminded during this episode of how, back in Victory of the Multi-Coloured Daleks, Amy managed to talk Bracewell out of exploding using the power of love?
Oh dear.

Indeed I was. Only this time it didn't work. She'll come back to life I'm sure - this is still a kids show - but it would be great if she stayed dead. Personally I rate her as the most annoying companion since Adric - does anyone want to throw other names into the ring?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peri.
Cadfael
Shipmate
# 11066

- Posted      Profile for Cadfael   Email Cadfael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some random confused thoughts...

Is it significant that the Doctor's sonic screwdriver in 'the pandorica opens' (TPO) casts a green illumination (rather than blue) and is a more complex design than the one he uses earlier in the series? The trailer for the episode made this pretty obvious.

Indeed, in TPO, the screwdriver looks like the one that was used by River (and 'saved' her) in the library, I think.

Also, the staggered cut between the Roman camp and the horseback ride (why not use the tardis?)to Stonehenge was odd, and techical equipment is on site in Stonehenge from nowhere: the lights, the 'stone moving thingies'.

...and also odd was the Dalek's comment that "only the Doctor can fly the tardis"... then River tries tries to pilot it, and ends up telling the Doctor that someone else is in control...

So are we dealing with two parallel timelines? Is the Doctor in the pandorica a later Doctor, while the Doctor we thought we were following is elsewhere, with a younger Amy (see BBC trailer images for next week...), trying to alter the timeline while the older Doctor is the 'decoy'?

So maybe the Doctor's "greater losses" alluded to in an earlier episode, is one of his possible lives...?

I need to lie down now, feeling a bit timey-wimey...

[Ultra confused]

Posts: 576 | From: North by North West | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Peri.

I see your Peri, and raise you Mel.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By the way - was anyone thinking of the massed baddies as a 'coalition'? [Razz]

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't it be good if David Tennant were to turn up having gone back and taken a sneaky peek into River's diary in the library.
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wayfaring Stranger:
Oh, and instead of locking the Doctor in The Pandoricum for all eternity, why didn't they just, er, kill him?

You are not the first to have thoughts in that direction.

As for the tedium of the pepperpots featuring in the season finale yet again, I'm definitely of the opinion that we are still in the early stages of the big finish. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is all yet another illusion. I mean: we know daleks and cybermen have time travel; Nestenes and Judoon - well, why not?; but the Silurians? No.

RTD's habit was to give us the big surprise at the end of part 1 and then spend part 2 with the Doctor finding a rather weak solution. My faith in the Moff (which I will renounce for all time, if disappointed) makes me think this surprise will just grow and grow.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
quote:
Peri.

I see your Peri, and raise you Mel.
Definitely.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
I mean: we know daleks and cybermen have time travel; Nestenes and Judoon - well, why not?; but the Silurians? No.

I thought that when they first appeared. Then, after the big reveal I realised: they're in a coalition with the daleks and sontarans who do have time travel. They're taking a ride alongside the others.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Daleks are a great enemy (or at least they were until their makeover), but did anyone else think, when they heard that evil voice over the ether, Oh please, not them AGAIN!

Yes, I did, and I thought, if it's the bloody Daleks again, I'm switching off.

And they did, and so I did. So I have no idea what happened after that, and I really can't be bothered any more.

[Frown]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:
The Daleks are a great enemy (or at least they were until their makeover), but did anyone else think, when they heard that evil voice over the ether, Oh please, not them AGAIN!

Yes, I did, and I thought, if it's the bloody Daleks again, I'm switching off.

And they did, and so I did. So I have no idea what happened after that, and I really can't be bothered any more.

[Frown]

It's not a Dalek story, just a story in which the Daleks happen to play a part in it - and a very good story too!

It's basically about the Doctor's "look at all the times I've defeated you before, you might as well run away now" shtick coming back to bite him, because all his enemies decide to gang up on him. And that's just one element of the story. Go on, watch the rest, it's worth watching - it's got one of the most fiendish cliffhangers ever.

Can't wait to see how they get out of this one...

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd resist calling this a Dalek story. The Daleks got rather less air time than the Cybermen, and about the same as the Sontarans. I think it's safe to assume there's a big revelation yet to come, relating to the "Silence will fall..." voice, which I hope will have nothing to do with the enemies we've seen so far.

Despite my previous gripe, I still think Dr Who is easily the best thing on British tv at the moment. The best stories of this season have been wonderful, and the worst have been no worse than "Meh...". This one is stunning, brilliant, and best of all - puzzling. It's beyond doubt that some very clever and unexpected things will happen in the final episode.

As to recycling stories, I haven't really noticed that this season. Anyway, the show has always recycled stories - but usually other peoples'. Robert Holmes was famous for it in the mid-70s, happily plundering classical horror and sci-fi movies in a way that was blatant, outrageous, and massively entertaining.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

Despite my previous gripe, I still think Dr Who is easily the best thing on British tv at the moment. The best stories of this season have been wonderful, and the worst have been no worse than "Meh...". This one is stunning, brilliant, and best of all - puzzling. It's beyond doubt that some very clever and unexpected things will happen in the final episode.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this series so far and like the "young fogey" version of the Doctor we see with Matt Smith (both old and young at the same time). The series continues to maintain a balance between fairytale and darker themes. Amy has been growing on me, though it appears that she develops new abilities as the plot developts (like being able to pick locks or know all about Vincent Van Gogh) but even that may be part of what looks set to be a very intriguing finale...

There have been some truly stand-out episodes (I enjoyed the weeping angels and Vincent Van Gogh episodes particularly)and there have not been any truly bad episodes that made me wince, or any particular aspects that came off as just ... wrong (like the sex life of a paving slab or farting aliens). I'm still waiting to see what the last episode holds but I have faith in the Moff.

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What did happen to Amy's Aunt?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
kfingers
Apprentice
# 12748

- Posted      Profile for kfingers   Email kfingers   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It took me a couple of episodes to get used to Matt Smith, but to be honest, I was so pig sick of the OTT (imo) lovey doveyness of the David Tennant incanation... by the series finale of Tennant I was just glad to get it over with adn move on to a new face. Matt Smith's brought a new energy to the role and Amy Pond is delicious (even though she has an annoying habit of getting kidnapped). It's nice to see some characters from the last series, but it would love them to bring back K9 for more than just a bitpart (if the Darleks can learn to fly, why can't K9)?
Posts: 32 | From: the grim north | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kfingers:
It took me a couple of episodes to get used to Matt Smith, but to be honest, I was so pig sick of the OTT (imo) lovey doveyness of the David Tennant incanation... by the series finale of Tennant I was just glad to get it over with adn move on to a new face. Matt Smith's brought a new energy to the role and Amy Pond is delicious (even though she has an annoying habit of getting kidnapped). It's nice to see some characters from the last series, but it would love them to bring back K9 for more than just a bitpart (if the Darleks can learn to fly, why can't K9)?

We had more K9 in series 3 of Sarah-Jane Adventures (possibly still on I-player)

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice enough,

Still a bit confused by the timelines, it seems to be a hybrid deterministic/changeable mix, and I'm not sure what happened from any perspective but had the entertainment of both worlds.

I suppose the recreation of the Universe is as big a gizmo as Roses, Martha or Donna's big fazzoom, but felt a lot more sutle.

Another Dalek return but not back in their millions followed by all gone (in fact the opposite technically).
And a mixed Tardis for (at least some of) next season.

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful final episode, very timey wimey and with a fairy tale ending, although it wisely left a few loose threads and questions for the future (why the Tardis did what it did & River Song's future relationship with the Doctor were left unclear).

I was finished further appreciated the series as a whole and it will feel enjoyable to watch again over. I liked the Fez gag as well!

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright, just managed to find episodes from this latest season streaming online—my first thought, of course, was to look at today's date.
Well everyone, it's been nice knowin' y'all. It seems that the universe is set to go boom tonight.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am certainly going to have to watch this again. Thoroughly enjoyed it but I got a bit confused with it all. I don't know how the target audience of 8 yr olds could really follow it all (maybe they follow it better than I do [Biased] )

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why was the Doctor doing Tommy Cooper impersonations?

As Wayfaring Stranger said earlier, it gets bigger and bigger. This time, the Doctor hurls himself into an exploding Tardis in order to reboot the entire universe and reset time. How are they going to top that?

Easily the best thing about this series is River. She should have her own spin-off series.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clever - 'There are no stars. It's just a story.' and also looping back to the girl praying to Father Christmas.

[ 26. June 2010, 20:26: Message edited by: leo ]

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Clever - 'There are no stars. It's just a story.' and also looping back to the girl praying to Father Christmas.

I liked the reference to Richard Dawkins as part of the star cult.

It was definitely timey-wimey but good.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy reference in last weeks episode. The message carved in the side of the cliff face in huge letters many feet high. But which is more profound?

We apologise for the inconvenience...

or

Hello Sweetie

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved it [Overused] Just fantastic entertainment, twists and turns and a great sweep of time and space. I am also now totally a fan of Matt Smith as the Doctor which I thought I might never be after loving David Tennant in the role.

I'm really glad Rory and Amy both left with the Doctor at the end - just gutted I need to wait until Christmas for the next episode!

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cadfael
Shipmate
# 11066

- Posted      Profile for Cadfael   Email Cadfael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was struck by the idea of someone giving up their life to renew creation... I think I've heard about that before, somewhere...

In other news: I thought the "something old, something new..." allusions were quite beautiful and romantic - and a wonderful implied connection between the cosmic and the human scales of significance.

In short: [Yipee] [Tear] [Yipee]

Posts: 576 | From: North by North West | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why was the Doctor doing Tommy Cooper impersonations?

Well, they had to have something visual for us to ell the 'then' Doctor from the 'now' as he was popping backwards and forwards in time.
Even with the fez I was confused as to when exactly each appearance was happening.

Loved it, though - and particularly pleased to see the explanation for that scene with Amy in the forest of the Treeborgs.

I found myself grinning from ear to ear in the final scenes, and I loved the way they fitted in the wedding rhyme
Something old,
Something new,
Something borrowed,
Something blue

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
Something old,
Something new,
Something borrowed,
Something blue

I am not the only person on the internet who suspects that Amy's entire character arc was written for that moment.

The first entrance of grown-up Amy was great.
So was the modern re-appearance of Rory.
Is this the first time in Doctor Who that someone has escaped from a dalek by climbing down the stairs?
The Doctor dancing. (Three would certainly have been able to waltz or tango.)
I'm ok with Amy bringing the Doctor back by remembering him because that's been hinted at as a rule for the cracks throughout the series and was so heavily emphasised in this episode that you wonder why the characters hadn't come to the conclusion earlier.
The Amy - Rory relationship has got a lot more solid since episode one. I think one of Moffatt's aims in this series must have been to utterly defuse the idea that the Doctor and companion must have some sort of romantic relationship.

Down sides:
The time bracelet was a bit too versatile. It makes the tardis look clumsy. Also, it didn't bother me at the time, but the Doctor going back in time so Rory can let him out so he can go back in time is unsatisfactory.
I wish they'd found something for young Amelia to do in the museum instead of getting rid of her.
And as for the Doctor's companions all showing mercy, I don't think the daleks ever ran into Leela, but they had met Ace.

Other than that, it was sufficiently fast that I didn't have time to think about any niggles; the ending, while utterly predictable (see above), was still fun; and all the cast were being brilliant.
I don't know that Matt Smith is a better actor than David Tennant. But the writing and directing trusts him to do the work which he does handsomely, while Tennant was too often landed with dialogue that tried to do the work for him.

--------------------

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

I wish they'd found something for young Amelia to do in the museum instead of getting rid of her.

Oh but Amelia was the most important bit. The pandoricon needed her DNA to bring Amy back to life.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
Oh but Amelia was the most important bit. The pandoricon needed her DNA to bring Amy back to life.

I meant once she'd done that. As it was, it felt as if she was being used for the sake of older Amy and then no longer needed.

Anyway, speculation time:

I hope the man that River shot doesn't turn out to be Rory. I don't see how anyone - Amy, the Doctor - would ever forgive her. I won't.

So the tardis is headed off to deal with an Egyptian goddess on the Orient Express. Is this a clue? The villain behind everything is apparently an old enemy. Could it be Sutekh?

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want a fez. fezzes are cool!

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Bit worried about the vortex manipulator being taken 'off the wrist of a handsome time agent'. (Actually not even off the wrist.)

Not *that* handsome time agent, I hope?

Oh, and I want to know about Space Florida now. Does it have a Space Disney World?

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
I want a fez. fezzes are cool!

I purchased a red fez in Tunisia to keep the sun off my bald head. It's just like the one on the programme and people say that I look good in it.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved the fact that Rory was willing to guard Amy for 2,000 years - and that the Doctor wistfully referred to him as "The boy who waited 2,000 years". I have gone from thinking "Why on earth would a woman like Amy want to marry a wimp like Rory?" to "Why on earth would such a lovely bloke like Rory want to be saddled with a hussy like Amy?"!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved it, this is so well written and finished up the series beautifully, looking forward to seeing River Song again soon (I like her she shoots Daleks!)
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ceannaideach:
I liked the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy reference in last weeks episode. The message carved in the side of the cliff face in huge letters many feet high.

And this time the plot revolved around being able to extrapolate the entire universe from the atoms inside the Tardis.

Also launching the Pandorica into the heart of the sun aka exploding Tardis.

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I loved the fact that Rory was willing to guard Amy for 2,000 years - and that the Doctor wistfully referred to him as "The boy who waited 2,000 years". I have gone from thinking "Why on earth would a woman like Amy want to marry a wimp like Rory?" to "Why on earth would such a lovely bloke like Rory want to be saddled with a hussy like Amy?"!

Yeah and after all that she's still flirting with the Doctor and wanting to kiss him at her own wedding.

Not a fan of the episode I'm afraid. Too much techno-babble made up on the spot to justify what's basically a big reset button. "Oops did we accidentally destroy all of space and time? Oh well let's just bring it back then."

Clearly what they were more interested in was playing out the relationship stuff between Rory, Amy and the Doctor. Fair's fair Matt Smith looks good in formal wear but not good enough to make up for the rest of it.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016