homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Also, it didn't bother me at the time, but the Doctor going back in time so Rory can let him out so he can go back in time is unsatisfactory.

I agree. I also think there should have been wider consequences of the Doctor being erased from history. When David Tennant's Doctor was killed, all sorts of nasty things happened to Earth because he wasn't around to stop them.

And how come Amy is allowed to touch young Amy when Rose wasn't allowed to touch baby Rose?

ETA: Mind you, Matt Smith in a Tux makes up for quite a lot. [Big Grin]

[ 27. June 2010, 20:46: Message edited by: rufiki ]

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
I also think there should have been wider consequences of the Doctor being erased from history. When David Tennant's Doctor was killed, all sorts of nasty things happened to Earth because he wasn't around to stop them.

I think a lot of those had already been eaten by cracks. Amy didn't remember daleks invading earth and the Victorian cyberman had already vanished from history. Things only came back through the cracks if Amy tried to remember them.
(There are other fan speculation explanations about time trying to straighten itself out around things that have disappeared as much as possible - but I think the above is the main one in the programs themselves.)

quote:
And how come Amy is allowed to touch young Amy when Rose wasn't allowed to touch baby Rose?
I think it's safe to say that the paradox thingies - whatever they were called - had worse things to worry about. Assuming they still even existed.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Down sides:
The time bracelet was a bit too versatile. It makes the tardis look clumsy. Also, it didn't bother me at the time, but the Doctor going back in time so Rory can let him out so he can go back in time is unsatisfactory.

The time bracelet was a rather clunky and suspiciously precise plot device, I agree (especially when the whole series started out with the Doctor unable to get the Tardis to hit the right decade), introduced so that River could join in and to permit the second of your gripes. I'm sufficiently sad that after the first episode, I spent a lot of time thinking about possible ways of resolving the story, and this one (cf the Terminator Paradox of how Dyson developed the first Terminator by reverse-engineering another one), while intensely irritating, is so much better than the various "and-they-woke-up-and-it-was-all-a-dream"-flavoured alternatives. Of course it's flawed, but if the sleight of hand is concealed with sufficiently charming patter, it isn't glaring.

I also found the nature of this collapse of the universe annoyingly vague, considering that so much of the plot rested on it. If everything was collapsing in on itself with the Earth at the centre, how come the stars disappeared instantly, rather than whenever the light from their supernovas reached us, or (if they were "exploding" into never-existedness) when the collapse reached them? Why did the collapse destroy everything up to and including the Sun, but then sit around twiddling its thumbs for 2,000 years and only start to close in on Earth at the exact point young Amy returned? Why should the collapse of everything that ever was or will be happen chronologically anyway, as suggested by frequent references to the collapse closing in?

For all that, it flowed well enough that I was prepared to forgive the plot holes. For once, the second half of a two-parter seemed like a real story, rather than a messy and half-baked resolution. The story didn't revolve around the Daleks again, as I briefly feared, and the conclusion, while predictable, was well-handled.

I love Matt Smith as the Doctor, like Amy (although it seems to work better with Rory as well), and was generally very impressed with Steven Moffat's episodes. The others were far more hit and miss, possibly because he has a looser hand on the tiller than RTD, but the development of the storyline through the whole series was a huge improvement on a series of unrelated stories clumsily tied together at the end. I just hope we get some more new interesting baddies next series, rather than the same ones over and over. The Weeping Angels just about worked this time, but are in danger of overexposure, and we all know about the Cybermen and Daleks.

One last thought: Given that the trap was baited from Amy's mind, and RoboRory programmed on that basis, it occurred to me that we have no idea whether Rory really would have waited and guarded Amy for 2,000 years (he may have done, or he may not), just that Amy believed he would. I suppose that's good enough as a starting point for a marriage. [Cool]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
a germ of a theory?

A-G In order From the point of view of the universe
1-7 In order from the point of view of Amy

A5)The Universe lives almost as normal

B1)Dr sees little Amy
B6)Tardis goes kewbowee
C7)The universe collapses however until Amy is picked up the event doesn't happen, the Tardis is banned from double appearances (hence the jumps).
D2)Amy grows up with no stars, ducks, cybermen etc...
E3)The Dr picks up Amy
E8)The universe recreated

F4)The Universe lives as normal

So because the Dr fixes things the Universe only has a little bubble of minimal existance.

(the dates of the explosion ought to be at E, and regeneration seems to happen at C7 but next see adult Amy. I suppose the time event could happen retrospectively.
C8 The Universe is healed but because the Tardis needs to be there to be healed it's always being destroyed until it exploded.
E7 The Tardis blows up, destroying the Universe (but then Amy isn't needed)

[edit would this then allow Rory to have a closed time loop-don't think so as have dead and married Rory]

[ 27. June 2010, 23:10: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another really good episode, IMNSVHO. Rory remaining on guard for centuries was genuinely moving (but the Doctor's remark, "The boy who waited," was reminiscent of, "The boy who lived," - hope they don't go down that line). The reappearance at the wedding was fantastic, and I'm sure there's a sermon in the power of story lurking there somewhere. I also liked the revelation about the nature of the "sun" that had been keeping the earth going all this time - the Tardis is as noble as its owner, it seems. Glad too to have Amy AND Rory stil as companions, and married off (is this the first time we've had married companions?). Finally the teaser for the special was great. At last everything is starting to come together.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So please explain to me, cos I was really confused .. the Rory that went off with the Doctor and Amy at the end, was that the "real" Rory brought back somehow, or a plastic Nestene recreation with Rory's memories?

[Confused]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I was wondering what happened to Auton-Centurion Rory - was he 'made human' by the Big Bang or was his existence erased so that Rory Williams was the only Rory to have ever existed?

[ETA - other than that, really loved it]

[ 28. June 2010, 08:52: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rory-Auton never existed I think - although some of his memories seem to have jumped track into human Rory. Maybe it's only those memories that Amy was around for.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would be a shame - I think the (redeemed?) Auton-Rory guarding his beloved for 1900 years was really sweet.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not for the first time, I'm going to be a lone voice here. The bit at the wedding where Amy gets up and launches into a passionate speech about how the most important person in her life was missing made me cringe. I don't know what Rory sees in her, but anyone who waits 1900 years for someone like Amy has to be a bit of a mug. She'd drop him like a shot if the Doctor even showed the slightest sign of changing his mind. (Yes, I do know it's just fiction.)

Still, Mr Pond (because that's the way it is) seems to be developing as a more rounded character, so hopefully he'll play a more active role in future episodes, assert himself more, etc etc.

Re married companions, Ian and Barbara were the first pair I think. (Did they actually travel with the Doctor as such?)

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Re married companions, Ian and Barbara were the first pair I think. (Did they actually travel with the Doctor as such?)
First marriage of Dr Who companion Susan and resistance man.
I don't think so. It's Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright and a 60s children's show. But they end up together after the chase. [And Barbara never tries to run away with the Dr. So is a better fiancee even before it's official]

Several get married out Vikki (to become Troilles&Cressida guess that ends well...),

Ben&Polly leave together..

[ 28. June 2010, 18:10: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was ok. I liked the Romans and I thought the tarnished, dust-laden museum-piece dalek-that-reactivated more scary that the ones with the eye-bleeding spanking-new paint jobs.

Wish someone would tell the Doctor that bow ties are really, srsly uncool except as part of formal evening wear (which DID look good [Smile] )

Another vote in disfavour of Amy Pond who has become extremely irritating; at one point I wondered if she keeps an onion permanently lodged behind her ear.

And Alex Kingston acts everyone else off the screen, imo.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

I'm kind of glad Amy's real (although I sometimes find it difficult to like her) rather than just like Dawn from Buffy.

--------------------

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
I'm kind of glad Amy's real (although I sometimes find it difficult to like her) rather than just like Dawn from Buffy.

Yes! I hated the whole Dawn thing.

[code]

[ 29. June 2010, 11:47: Message edited by: Jenny Ann ]

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The implication with the time traveling wrist watch is that it not totally safe and can back fire. Thus using it in a limited way is useful but using it too much is dangerous.

I quite liked the episode. For me the big reset button was pushed and Rory is Rory. The relationships in the TARDIS will have to change.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
The implication with the time traveling wrist watch is that it not totally safe and can back fire. Thus using it in a limited way is useful but using it too much is dangerous.

I quite liked the episode. For me the big reset button was pushed and Rory is Rory. The relationships in the TARDIS will have to change.

I think the time travelling watch being so useful in that episode was kind of handwaved by the universe collapsing in on itself (or something), so it was "easier" to hop around as the Doctor did, as well as it being very harmful so it's possibly the last time we've seen the device (but it's kind of a handy semi deus ex machina to keep floating around).

Rory looks like he's back to his normal human self again, albeit with his memories as his time as an auton (he was overheard saying something like "I was plastic..." at the wedding banquet) and all that character development fresh in his mind (and in Amy's too) - so it's likely that things will change. It's cool to have a tardis crew of three for a change.

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Off Centre View:
It's cool to have a tardis crew of three for a change.

Funnily enough, it's not that much of a change.

The First and Second Doctors were never travelling with a single female on screen. (The First Doctor had Susan before the series started of course.)
The Third Doctor was mostly surrounded by UNIT, although he did occasionally travel with only Jo or Sarah Jane.
The Fourth Doctor spends quite a lot of time with only Sarah Jane or Leela or Romana, but he has Harry at the start of his tenure and Adric at the end.
The Fifth Doctor is travelling with at least two companions until his final story. (He never spends a full story with only one companion.)
Eight doesn't travel with anyone on television.
Nine has Jack for a few episodes. (Adam doesn't count.)
Ten has only one companion (if you don't count Mickey, who travels with him only for the story he gets written out in).

So only Six, Seven, and Ten conform to the model for the whole of their careers.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But where is Ace [Axe murder] ?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally convinced me that Matt Smith is great in the role: I wasn't sure until this episode. And glad that his dancing skills are no better than mine.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dad dancing taken to the extreme!

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

I've just been watching Remembrance of the Daleks and Ace was indeed as impressive as I remember.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Axe murder]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've just been watching Remembrance of the Daleks and Ace was indeed as impressive as I remember.

One of the best Dr Who stories ever. And quite clearly part of the Time War between Daleks and the Time Lords.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

One of the best Dr Who stories ever. And quite clearly part of the Time War between Daleks and the Time Lords.
... But also, interestingly, part of the Dalek civil war being fought between Davros's Daleks and the Dalek Supreme's Daleks. When did the Time War start? Was Genesis of the Daleks a pre-emptive strike in it?

Anyhoo, just checking in after a week away to say I thought The Big Bang was great, even though I'm still not sure how it all worked (as I suspect Steven Moffat isn't, either). What really made it for me was Matt Smith's performance - especially his parting speeches to Amy and Amelia. He is a brilliant actor - every inflexion, every gesture was just perfect, and those scenes were very touching. I even wibbled a bit when he murmured, "Live well. Love Rory ... Bye bye, Pond." Absolutely superb.

I've always liked Amy - nice to have a companion with a bit of attitude - but I'm glad Rory's sticking around too. (Real Rory or Auton Rory? - The script is ambiguous. If you listen carefully, when the TARDIS arrives at the wedding he says something like, "How could we forget the Doctor? I was plastic. He was the stripper at my stag.")

And now that I've had a few days to get used to the idea, I also quite like that there are unanswered questions for the future. The Silence has not yet fallen....

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since Ace has been mentioned, perhaps I can brag about my signed copy of Graeme Curry's The Happiness Patrol which is much better as a book than it was on TV. Largely because I don't have to cope with Evil Bertie Bassett.

I worked in the same office as Graeme until recently, and the atmosphere of impending redundancies, relocation and general doom made it very relevant reading. We would often greet the latest announcement from on high with 'Happiness Will Prevail'.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by ken:

If I'd seen more Classic Doctor Who I'd probably be able to agree with you. It compares very well next to Genesis of the Daleks and Pyramids of Mars (to name two of the most widely admired Tom Baker stories).

I get the impression that the two Sylvester McCoy - Ace seasons are underappreciated among the Doctor Who fandom. The classic fandom seem to have dropped off mostly during the Colin Baker years.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, Classic Who - how shall I sing thee? I'd recommend watching more Classic Who to almost anyone. Beg, borrow, or in extreme circumstances buy some of the DVDs and treat yourself to the history of British tv drama 1963-1989, in microcosm.

Take a good look at the really old ones, recorded almost live (it had to be a real disaster before they'd do a re-take) in tiny studio sets sometimes no bigger than your living room. Marvel at the old painted backdrops that can even now almost make you believe there's a petrified forest or an Aztec city back there. Listen to how much of the drama has to be conveyed in dialogue simply because the action it's describing would have been impossible to stage. Listen especially to how writers like Anthony Coburn and John Lucarotti use words, in a way that you couldn't possibly now.

But then see also how experimental it all was, simply because there was nothing like it on tv. The floor-level camera angles that made the Daleks look so menacing. The weird and beautiful music scores, like Richard Rodney Bennett's for The Aztecs. The first tentative bits of location filming from The Dalek Invasion of Earth onwards.

Old Who - especially really old Who at its best was magnificent.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
Dad dancing taken to the extreme!

Contrast with Nine. 'I've just remembered I know how to dance.' Also a Moffat script.

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Mr D said " Oooh! "

[ 30. August 2010, 18:27: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow.

Quick question:

What does he mean, in the interview, by "rubber green people"?

quote:
It's a decent budget. I beg for money and more rubber green people and eventually they say OK, you can have a third rubber green person.

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by El Greco:
Quick question:

What does he mean, in the interview, by "rubber green people"?

I believe it is an allusion to Classic Doctor Who alien costumes.

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, OK, thnx!

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Ah, Classic Who - how shall I sing thee? I'd recommend watching more Classic Who to almost anyone. Beg, borrow, or in extreme circumstances buy some of the DVDs and treat yourself to the history of British tv drama 1963-1989, in microcosm.

Take a good look at the really old ones, recorded almost live (it had to be a real disaster before they'd do a re-take) in tiny studio sets sometimes no bigger than your living room. Marvel at the old painted backdrops that can even now almost make you believe there's a petrified forest or an Aztec city back there. Listen to how much of the drama has to be conveyed in dialogue simply because the action it's describing would have been impossible to stage. Listen especially to how writers like Anthony Coburn and John Lucarotti use words, in a way that you couldn't possibly now.

But then see also how experimental it all was, simply because there was nothing like it on tv. The floor-level camera angles that made the Daleks look so menacing. The weird and beautiful music scores, like Richard Rodney Bennett's for The Aztecs. The first tentative bits of location filming from The Dalek Invasion of Earth onwards.

Old Who - especially really old Who at its best was magnificent.

Bless you. You have it absolutely correct. There was so much brilliance in Really Early Who. TV made by people who already knew they were blazing new trails and did not have to conform to anything.

I even adore the fact that they would keep the cameras running if an actor fluffed a line, because it is much more realistic. Which person, in real life, always speaks in letter-perfect fashion, never stumbling over words and never using the wrong word? I get annoyed at people who mock Bill Hartnell's fluffs because they are so realistic. Take The Chase for example. Ian and Barabara are leaving the Doctor using a strange Dalek-made time vehicle. The Doctor is upset both at the risk they are running and the fact that they are leaving. Trying to dissuade them, he makes a dire prediction about them ending up as "cinders flying around in spain" (when, of course, he meant "space"). But, really, if you are angry and spluttering at somebody, do you never use the wrong word? I know I do. It is completely realistic. More so than the amazingly tongue-twisting dialogue that more recent Doctors spew out without hesitation.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I even adore the fact that they would keep the cameras running if an actor fluffed a line, because it is much more realistic.

Well, quite. There was the memorable occasion when the Fourth Doctor was heard to tell Davros to "spack off!".
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I even adore the fact that they would keep the cameras running if an actor fluffed a line, because it is much more realistic.

Well, quite. There was the memorable occasion when the Fourth Doctor was heard to tell Davros to "spack off!".
They had their limits, though. (See around the 45 second mark.)
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
Wish someone would tell the Doctor that bow ties are really, srsly uncool...

No, no, no. Eccentric. Individual. More bow ties.

quote:
Another vote in disfavour of Amy Pond who has become extremely irritating; at one point I wondered if she keeps an onion permanently lodged behind her ear.
And another.

Donna had attitude, Amy Pondlife is an irritating, self-centred little witch who would dump Rory for the Doctor in a heartbeat.

quote:
As Ariel posted:
Still, Mr Pond (because that's the way it is) seems to be developing as a more rounded character, so hopefully he'll play a more active role in future episodes, assert himself more, etc etc.

Rory and the Doctor would do well to leave Amy behind and head off together into the mists of time.

This could be the start of a beautiful friendship! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by +Chad:
quote:
And another.

Donna had attitude, Amy Pondlife is an irritating, self-centred little witch who would dump Rory for the Doctor in a heartbeat.

Sorry, I disagree. Probably because I find red-haired women with Scottish accents unbelievably sexy. You might be right otherwise.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Amy Pondlife is an irritating, self-centred little witch who would dump Rory for the Doctor in a heartbeat.

I agree with everything except the witch bit. Not sure what you mean by this, exactly, but she doesn't strike me as magical, glam, or even particularly crone-like.

Unfair to witches IMO.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
Wish someone would tell the Doctor that bow ties are really, srsly uncool...

No, no, no. Eccentric. Individual. More bow ties.
The Doctor is a time-travelling alien. 'Cool' is not a concept he does well.
That's not quite true. The Third Doctor was cool. For the 1900s. He was stuck in the 1970s.

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone see University Challenge tonight? One of the sets of questions was to identify the actor(s) who played the Doctor based on the version of the theme tune being used at the time.

They got them all right. "See nothing is wasted" said Paxman.

I thought of this thread. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016