homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
... the 'spaceship aka giant alien creature' theme is a recurrent theme in Star Trek TNG.

And in lots of SF from long before I think.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Exegesis Fairy
Shipmate
# 9588

- Posted      Profile for The Exegesis Fairy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what disappointed me? Not the episode, which I kind of liked. Even if most of the twists were kind of predictable. And it didn't make a lot of sense. Liz 10 = funny. Not too scary.

Not the lack of deaths, because it's Steven Moffatt, who seems constitutionally incapable of killing anyone...except the odd adult, at some point, in the past, offscreen.

No, it was Doctor Who Confidential, of all things, that annoyed me. Normally I love them, but...five minutes in I was bored. BORED. Me. Doctor Who nerd. Amy is just not...very interesting to have a programme about. Or maybe it picked up after I switched off.

--------------------
I can only please one person a day.
Today is not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Posts: 500 | From: the clear blue sky | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a big Doctor Who geek, but I only dip in and out of Doctor Who Confidential occasionally. It's a rare episode that actually has enough material to warrant 45 minutes, usually being padded out with self-congratulation and clips montages. DWC used to be 30 minutes, which made much more sense.

Coming back to the episode, one of the many things I liked about The Beast Below was the rather subversive political streak. At first, Starship UK seems a rather cosy celebration of Britishness, but we soon discover that its a police state, with the general population (and by extension the viewing audience) complicit in willing ignorance of what goes on. The Doctor then sets out to bring down the British government, and part of how Amy saves the day is by getting the Queen to abdicate!

And unlike, say, Planet of the Ood, where Donna dismisses the Doctor's suggestion that sweatshops are a modern form of slavery in her world as "a cheap shot" and the Doctor apologises, the audience isn't let off the hook from the questions it raises. It wasn't exactly deep political allegory, but it had more to say than most Doctor Who episodes.

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Revolutionist:
[...] one of the many things I liked about The Beast Below was the rather subversive political streak. [...]

Having stumbled upon a certain Hell thread of no-namian provinence, I've now read this as 'The Breast Below'

But please carry on. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

- Posted      Profile for hereweare   Email hereweare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
If I may lower the tone for a moment...

A clerical colleague of mine made some very un-clerical comments about Karen Gillan (let's just say he may now be in trouble for 'coveting'). As for me, I will say only one thing - very nice legs! [Overused] (My wife spotted the fact Amy couldn't really be a police officer because her skirt was too short - I had noticed how short, but brain hadn't really passed that point)

Needless to say, I may have failed the coveting test as well [Help]

Perhaps I could draw your attention to the 'I confess thread'! But on a similar theme, I think it was a little off of the Dr to be holding Amy out of the TARDIS by her leg, and clearly looking up her nightdress!!!!

I do agree with Wilson though, that Amy
seemed a little too switched on so soon in the series.

--------------------
Come home to Rome this Christmas!

Posts: 206 | From: here | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Balaam, I'm not surprised you were impressed by Liz 10, Sophie Okonedo is an amazing actress.

Sophie Okonedo

J

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fantastic.

Whales!

In space!

The only sad thing being that there is only one left... surely we need a whole school of them to turn up unexpectedly.

And no, it didn't make a whole amount of sense when you thought about it. All over the place really, but no matter. All the individual bits of were so good that I think we can overlook it.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Quinine
Shipmate
# 1668

- Posted      Profile for Quinine   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Fantastic.

Whales!

In space!

The only sad thing being that there is only one left... surely we need a whole school of them to turn up unexpectedly.

Yes! Can they have a major part in the final episode please? And surely we can have some star whale back story at some point - how did they die out? Etc.
Posts: 252 | From: In a fen | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

- Posted      Profile for hereweare   Email hereweare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
all this whale business is a bit Star Trekish is it not?

--------------------
Come home to Rome this Christmas!

Posts: 206 | From: here | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fantastic.

Whales!

In space!

And no, it didn't make a whole amount of sense when you thought about it. All over the place really, but no matter. All the individual bits of were so good that I think we can overlook it.

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fantastic.

Whales!

In space!

Sorry, a bit trigger happy there [Hot and Hormonal]

Haven't you ever seen Farscape then? That 'verse has a whole race of sentient whale-like spaceships.

[small code fix]

[ 15. April 2010, 19:28: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, never mind the Trekking and Farscaping and all that... reality is way ahead of them. Now I think of it, space-ships in real life are still lubricated with whale oil which NASA hastily stock-piled before commercial whaling was banned. Seems it's perfect for working under very different temperatures.

Yeah, even the Voyager with its lovely humpback song. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hereweare:
all this whale business is a bit Star Trekish is it not?

Yes, I was reminded of Star Trek IV too.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, how I would have loved the Doctor to say

"It is not the hell your Star Whale."
[Big Grin]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, since it came back, doesn't Dr Who often reference other Sci-fi?

J

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quinine:
Yes! Can they have a major part in the final episode please? And surely we can have some star whale back story at some point - how did they die out? Etc.

They were doing fine until they realized one day that actually, whales can't breathe in space.

After which they turned into bowls of petunias and fell to earth. Most perished, except for one that landed in an onion patch, and somehow, subsequently became part of a starship. But when your Tardis is fitted with an Improbability Drive, it's the sort of thing that's likely to happen.

HTH.

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else notice that when Amy Pond went into the workman's tent thing, the name above the tent was 'Magpie Electricals' - the name from 'The Idiot's Lantern', no?

I ought to add that it was Mr M. wot noticed it, not me.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

- Posted      Profile for PhilA   Email PhilA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mad scientist type bloke. Ends up wearing a black glove. Created the Daleks. Davros anyone?

--------------------
To err is human. To arr takes a pirate.

Posts: 3121 | From: Sofa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spoiler

not impressed with this one; clever SF tricks in a SF world is fine but manufactering modifications to spitfires and reach target in plot limit of 10 minutes....

Not to mention Doc's long chats with Daleks instead of them just shooting him

Next weeks trailer more promising...

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
< here be spoilers >

quote:
Originally posted by PhilA:
Mad scientist type bloke. Ends up wearing a black glove. Created the Daleks. Davros anyone?

Same though flitted across my mind. Although I can't imagine Davros falling in love with anyone called Dorabella...

I was a bit underwhelmed by it overall. Whilst I loved some of it (Spitfires in space!!! Winston Churchill saying 'buggering' on tea time telly!!), the plotting was very unconvincing. I accept it is a show about a time traveling bloke but I do like some attempt at internal plausability.

Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yes, a bit rubbish.
* and is Amy going to save the doctor from his silly mistake/conclusion every week??

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marginally more interesting than last week and about as plausible as usual. Looking forward to next week - I liked the stone angels.

Tonight's episode would have suited Tennant better, though. I don't know what Matt Smith's style is. He seems to be trying to emulate Tennant without quite succeeding or developing his own style.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes! Even though I wanted them to leave the Saleks on the shelf for another year or so this was convincing Doctor Who. The boy done good.

Utter fanboy episode! Overcomplex Dalek plannned destruction in thirty Rels!! Positronic brains!!! The Earth dies screaming!!!!

And then, out of the shiny thing in the shiny Dalek flying saucer (that looks like the shiny thing in the shiny Dalek base on Skaro we first saw the Emperor Dalek in back in the Troughton era) comes a whole squadron of colour-coded Daleks straight out of the lost episodes of the 1960s (where to be honest the Beeb only used them because they could rent them cheap from the people who made the Cushing fims) and the Dalek Supreme itself, all the way from the war between the Imperial Daleks and the "rebels" (if not from "The Dalek's Master Plan") and they are declaiming what sound to me very like the names of old Dalek series! Return of the Daleks! Resurrection of the Daleks! Power of the Daleks! Revelation of the Daleks!

What next, the return of Mavic Chen and the Meddling Monk? Or even Professor Maxtable (please! I think that might have been the best Doctor Who story ever)

REBOOT CONTINUITY BACK TO THE SIXTIES!

--------------------
Ken

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Shipmate
# 15431

- Posted      Profile for Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not an amazing episode, but not a bad one either. I thought the spitfires in space required a little too much suspension of disbelief. I liked the setup of the Doctor's dilemma, though. I guess they feel they have to reboot the Daleks and Cybermen for the Matt Smith era, but it would be nice to have next series free of them. Make the Doctor visit crazy new worlds with new, interesting aliens instead.

Is it just me, or is Amy Pond a bit too confident for someone who is learning what it is like to travel with the Doctor?

--------------------
was phil2357

Posts: 76 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Daleks not Saleks. Missed the edit window.

No, no Davros I suspect. Messrs Gatiss and Moffat have rebooted the continuity to back before Terry Nation and Philip Hinchcliffe rebooted continuity in the 1970s with Davros.

There have been arguably somewhere between four and eight alternate versions of Dalek history set up by either Timelords or Daleks going back into the past and changing history:

1) the original Skaro Daleks of the very first story. No command heirarchy, trapped in a city on Skaro, ignorant of their own history.

2) the classic series space-opera style Daleks from the 1960s and early 1970s with either a Dalek Supreme or an Emperor ruling them at different times. These were the Daleks finally destroyed in the far future in a civil war sparked off by Troughton's Doctor. (Pertwee's enounters with Daleks were all in the past relative to that)

3) the Davros Daleks of the late 1970s and the 1980s, who ended up in a war against the "renegades" who were in effect the previous version of the Daleks and were the pure-blooded Daleks unlike Davros's synthetic Imperials. These Daleks were destroyed in the Time War in the last Dalek story of the McCoy tenure. The first Dalek of the Ecclestone period is in some way a survivor of that war, though apparenlty a lete-model enhanced Dalek of some sort, not a standard Dalek drone.

4,5,6) The various Daleks of the new series are descended from survivors of the Time War in different pocket universes (Imperial Daleks, Cult of Skaro, rescued Davros) who go back in time and reinvent themselves and rebuild the entire species.

7) This evenings first Daleks were presumably, like Ecclestone's Dalek in "Dalek" survivors of the Time War. But the new ones are back to the future - they are old pre-Davros Daleks, pure Kaled descent, all the way from Skaro. These Daleks have no Davros in their past and no Time War (though they may well have learned about those things of course)

(Of course Skaro itself probably started as a human colony...)

--------------------
Ken

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bluffing the daleks with a jammy dodger is classic Doctor behaviour. But surely there is only so often that even the Doctor can get away with that before his enemies cotton on.

Stopping an AI bomb by telling it to think about what it's like to be in love: I think it's clear that Doctor Who has entirely given up on any pretence at being hard sf. But then I'm not sure it ever really had any. Incidentally, I don't think Amy was correcting the Doctor's mistake this time: she saw what the Doctor was trying to do and joined in.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ken: [Overused] I am in total awe of your knowledge.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Bluffing the daleks with a jammy dodger is classic Doctor behaviour.

Bluffing the Daleks with a jammy dodger really takes the biscuit.
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spoiler alert..............

A nice episode. And think of the merchandising possibilities with coloured Daleks and khaki ones in uniform! I liked the liddle Union Jack they were sporting. Cute.

Could have done more and done better in a 60-minutes episode perhaps? 45 minutes is a bit short for the amount they crammed in there. More time would have enabled them to develop the plot a bit further, such as the Spitfires in spaces - which were pretty cool, though.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once wrote something about how the degree to which you're willing to forgive plot-holes or inconsistencies is related to what it buys you. Sometimes twisting logic and reason just a little allows you to do something that in story terms is really cool.

Well I guess the good folks at Dr Who must think Spitfires in space is really, really, really cool.

And they are - just not cool enough to make up for some of the nonsense in this episode.

Also I think the new giant multi-coloured swap-shop daleks are to the previous set of daleks what the new theme tune is to the last - change for change's sake.

Grr. I hate sounding like an old grump. I really want to like this show - give me something to work with Moffat. Please?

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
Spoiler

not impressed with this one; clever SF tricks in a SF world is fine but manufactering modifications to spitfires and reach target in plot limit of 10 minutes....

Not to mention Doc's long chats with Daleks instead of them just shooting him

Next weeks trailer more promising...

I liked it, but the points you mentioned did seem bad when I watched it.

The modifications to the planes could be explained by saying the scientist was constructing them rather than just show us the blueprints... Small tweaks like that could help the plot immensely.

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by phil2357:
Is it just me, or is Amy Pond a bit too confident for someone who is learning what it is like to travel with the Doctor?

Possibly. Although I think it's part of the character that she tries to make out that she's taking things in her rather long stride. You saw it last week: Karen Gillan was doing a good job of acting someone who wasn't going to show that she was impressed that the Doctor gets calls from Winston Churchill, or only a little.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was slightly disappointed not to see a pink Dalek
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not such a good episode IMO.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Terrible episode. Amy has become some sort of simpering goon, and we seemed to have rushed so quickly into the story that, even within its own universe, the story seemed silly, disconnected and lacking any real coherence.

And, frankly, "The Daleks Come Back Again" is getting ever so slightly dull.

Two weeks ago a good series started with well-rounded characters and taking time to tell a good story. Can we have it back, please?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It gave me a new motto for work...

KBO

(I'm surprised there haven't been complaints!)

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
...and we seemed to have rushed so quickly into the story that..]

I thought it was a bit hurried as well, there was almost enough for a whole story arc.
The Nazi's
The secret weapon being a Dalek
The Dalek's reveal their secret weapon
The Dalek's and Doctor stand off till New Daleks
The reaction of the impure
The spitfire
The Doctor's decision
The Doctor's choice
Britain left with modern tech
Resolution

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’m beginning to feel nostalgic for the days when the BBC could only use the Daleks with permission of the Terry Nation estate. And the estate would only let them do it every few seasons. I am officially all Daleked out! New monsters please! Or different old ones.

That said, returning the Daleks to Year Zero – pure Kaleds from Skaro – is an interesting development and it’ll be interesting to see where they go with it. Not being as big a fangirl as Ken is a fanboy, all I noticed is that they looked like the 60’s daleks from the Cushing film and sounded like them as well! The original dalek voices were much deeper. The film says the Kaleds were originally humanoid – like their enemies the Thals – but evolved into the dalek form. (All you see of that is a green clawed hand appearing from underneath a Thal cape when the Doctor and the others captured a dalek and stole its outfit in order to escape from their HQ).

Lots of good ideas and themes and some really nice touches – the Jammy Dodger; Amy realising that memories of a lost love are likely to be more powerful / humanising than ones of war and death - but I’m not entirely sure that Gatiss was able to deliver on them.

I like Matt Smith’s take on the Doctor and think Gillian / Amy is a very good foil. But please not the Doctor and Rose all over again. (I’ve seen those pictures on the Interweb!) And the crack does look a bit like Bad Wolf all over again.

Next week’s episode looks like it’s going to be a good one. Unless we’ve seen all the good bits in the preview. [Biased]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Did they actually say 'Year Zero' at any point?

Because there are theories around about Zero. We've had Prisoner Zero, and the kid who got zero on the test (and, I guess, Liz 10).

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Did they actually say 'Year Zero' at any point?

Because there are theories around about Zero. We've had Prisoner Zero, and the kid who got zero on the test (and, I guess, Liz 10).

Nope, I think that was me. [Hot and Hormonal]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some random thoughts:

The very first time the Doctor met the Daleks the Thals and the Daleks had both mutated but because the Daleks shut themselves up in the City they stopped mutating whereas the Thals kept on going and ended up going full cycle to where they started. Not sure where that fits into the theories mentioned above.

There is an interesting cross-over between the new different coloured Daleks and Original Star Trek. Each colour has a different function so the red ones should avoid going on any planetary missions.

And there was a blatant bit of advertising at the end when Amy shouted "Oi! Churchill!"

Not the greatest episode although Spitfires in space was a great concept, albeit totally improbable given the time scales, especially when you see how easily the pilots adapted. Mind you, they were British pilots ....

It is time we saw less of the Daleks: There is a whole Universe full of beasties out there.

It does seem odd that the time line of the Doctor follows that of the Daleks. If both have time travelling capabilities you would expect that sometimes encounter A happened earlier than encounter B for the Doctor but later for the Daleks.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
And there was a blatant bit of advertising at the end when Amy shouted "Oi! Churchill!"

I was wondering if Churchill was ever going to say 'Ohhhhh yes.'

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Some random thoughts:

The very first time the Doctor met the Daleks the Thals and the Daleks had both mutated but because the Daleks shut themselves up in the City they stopped mutating whereas the Thals kept on going and ended up going full cycle to where they started. Not sure where that fits into the theories mentioned above.

There is an interesting cross-over between the new different coloured Daleks and Original Star Trek. Each colour has a different function so the red ones should avoid going on any planetary missions.

Not the greatest episode although Spitfires in space was a great concept, albeit totally improbable given the time scales, especially when you see how easily the pilots adapted. Mind you, they were British pilots ....

It is time we saw less of the Daleks: There is a whole Universe full of beasties out there.

It does seem odd that the time line of the Doctor follows that of the Daleks. If both have time travelling capabilities you would expect that sometimes encounter A happened earlier than encounter B for the Doctor but later for the Daleks.

Forgot the bit about the evolution. But you're right, the Thals hadn't seen the Kaleds for years so their reappearence as the little pepperpots was a total shock! (I have no idea how the film differs from the orginal episodes though. Does anyone know?)

Loved the Star Trek cross reference. Did the red dalek say anything? If it didn't, then that confirms it's doomed!

Tubbs

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
[...] Loved the Star Trek cross reference. Did the red dalek say anything? If it didn't, then that confirms it's doomed!

Tubbs

You can check by watching again on iPlayer. Nudge nudge. [Biased]

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Forgot the bit about the evolution. But you're right, the Thals hadn't seen the Kaleds for years so their reappearence as the little pepperpots was a total shock! (I have no idea how the film differs from the orginal episodes though. Does anyone know?)

The Peter Cushing (and Bernard Cribbins!) film followed the plot of the William Hartnell episodes pretty closely, I think. I was certainly thinking about the latter.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
quote:

The Peter Cushing (and Bernard Cribbins!) film followed the plot of the William Hartnell episodes pretty closely, I think. I was certainly thinking about the latter.
The only person I know who's seen both thought so as well. As if "I was seven" is any excuse for not remembering much! [Big Grin]

Tubbs

[ 21. April 2010, 21:41: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I can pick up The Daleks, The Time Lords and Humans are all somehow connected in the overall 'time and space' thingie of Dr. Who.

In that universe so much has been messed about with that it is very hard to put together a timeline. The Dalek's have two different origins for a start.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During Tom Baker's time in the Tardis he is asked by the Time Lords to go back and prevent the Daleks from existing. He has to make a choice to kill them off or not and goes for not. Quite a lot of the Dalek history comes from this story and not the William Hartnell/film versions. The old films are seen as paralell to the cannon and not part of it. The TV film is seen as cannon because Sylvester Macoy regenerates into Paul Magan. A lot of fans wish this wasn't the case as the TV film is second rate and being American, some of the essential Britishness of Doctor Who is lost.
Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am heartened to know that there are others who agree with me in seeing the TV film as non-canonical. Recently I was running through the list of Doctors in my mind, and was frustrated at being one short. Finally I discovered I had ommitted Paul McGann, because he just doesn't count as a Doctor IMNSVHO. (However, there was one good moment when a motorbike drove into the Tradis, and then came roaring out again.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Actually, although the TV film was pretty awful, McGann has gone on to do loads of audio adventures and really developed the character.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016