homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
I am heartened to know that there are others who agree with me in seeing the TV film as non-canonical. Recently I was running through the list of Doctors in my mind, and was frustrated at being one short. Finally I discovered I had ommitted Paul McGann, because he just doesn't count as a Doctor IMNSVHO. (However, there was one good moment when a motorbike drove into the Tradis, and then came roaring out again.)

The TV film counts as a cannon as it was a BBC co-production and McCoy regerates into McGann. It wasn't McGann's fault that the pilot was so rubbish it was never commissioned into a series and he became the George Lazenby of Time Lords. As Gill H points out, the character appeared / developed in the the Big Finish adventures and the books - but only the truely dedicated have seen those. (I am not truely dedicated!)

[ETA: What I'm not sure about is whether some of the ideas introduced in the show are seen as cannon - such as the Doctor being half human on his mother's side. RTA's final show suggests that they aren't]

Wiki has a great list of actors who've played the Doctor in material that's not seen as cannon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_who_have_played_the_Doctor

Tubbs

[ 23. April 2010, 11:24: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Problem with Wiki is that you keep rummaging. They also have a list of actors who were considered for the Doctor or were offered the part and turned it down: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_considered_for_the_part_of_the_Doctor

Some of them could have been great, but some of them ... [Projectile]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugh Grant as Doctor Who? [Ultra confused]

"I - I - er - Daleks. Yes. Yes, of course. Um. Awfully sorry about your planet. Hope you'll soon find another. Must dash. Aaargh, why did I just say that?"

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

"I - I - er - Daleks. Yes. Yes, of course. Um. Awfully sorry about your planet. Hope you'll soon find another. Must dash. Aaargh, why did I just say that?"

He was one of the people covered by [Projectile] It would have been wrong! (I'd have probably still watched it though [Hot and Hormonal] ).

Shame about Robert Lindsay though ... [Frown]

Tubbs

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We here are just about to see the second show tomorrow but I don't mind reading the spoilers as I'm not a expecting much good out of all this.

Was hoping for a non-angst experience, but the ending of the first episode on her wedding dress left me cold.

I prefer my doctors adventurous and my assistants following along and their group adventures adventurous. If I wanted super hero angst, I'd put Spiderman in the DVD player.

Yes...he's alone. We get it. Time to move on.

Moffat is a better writer then Russel T Davies( he who channels episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer gleefully it seems), and there are some great lines. But I fear it will all end with sooooo much overwrought goo....again.

As for what Moffat said about the actress companion, not surprising given they seem to think of the companions as romance novel characters.

Better then much on TV but not as good as it has been or could be.

[ 24. April 2010, 05:23: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
spoiler

soldier introducing himself as bishop with clerics under his command??? bit crusaderish??

see what they do with that

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've complained to the BBC regarding the ludicrous and intrusive insertion of an animated "coming next" overlay right at the climax of today's episode.

The URL is here.

I'm really quite cross!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just been catching up with the episodes (I have a rather wonderful boyfriend who taped them for me while I was TV-less).
Liked the first episode. I thought Matt Smith did well - liked the way he called the Atraxi back to tell them off, and the bit where all the previous faces of the Doctor appeared.

And about half way through the Space Whale one, I thought "This is a bit 'The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas', isn't it?" Except that the people in the Ursula le Guin story didn't get eaten by a space whale when they protested.
And when the Doctor said "We are observers only," I actually shouted "You liar!" at the screen.

So tonight I'm watching the Daleks one (rather looking forward to Spitfires in Space).

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved the beginning - nice and Bond-ish. The two-parters always seem to be better than the single episodes. Great to see the stone angels and River Song back too, next week should be fun.

The only thing I didn't like was Amy getting jealous over River. It's too early in the season for this and we've had enough female companions getting emotionally involved.

[ 24. April 2010, 18:43: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. Weeping angels and River Song!

Though bits were too similar to the library -- enemy for whom dark is a an advantage and so has to be light.

Now to wait for a week.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The only thing I didn't like was Amy getting jealous over River. It's too early in the season for this and we've had enough female companions getting emotionally involved.

Was Amy getting jealous over River? I got the opposite impression: I thought she was finding the whole situation amusing. IIRC River told her that the relationship was not as simple as them being married, and Amy said that it so was.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched Blink for the first time (on DVD) this afternoon, in time for this week's episode. I hadn't realised that the famous Sally Sparrow was played by Carey Mulligan (who has since gone on to great things).

Tonight's episode changed the rules on the Angels a couple of times. (One of the rule changes has implications that I would hope most younger viewers do not think of...)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As soon as the Doctor mentioned the fact that the deceased race who built the temple had two heads, we wondered why the statues didn't.

Father, who is a vicar, loved the Bishop with his twenty clerics and verger in charge of explosives. Really tickled his funny bone.

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where was the Holy Handgrenade of Antioch?

Much better pacing this week. Quite enjoyed it. A bit of atmosphere. Annoyed by the banner trailer too near the end. Looking forward to next week.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spoilers...

Really enjoyable episode.

I wasn't too taken with the Weeping Angels at first, as I'd kind of found them a bit odd, though genuinely scary, in "Blink". Giving them the voice of Bob made them more terrifying as they appear to be a thinking, manipulative enemy not just feral creatures.

It's fun having River back as well and it makes me think there's more a mystery there than simply her being his wife. It's definitely interesting that she means that the Doctor doesn't know everything, and so another character can one-up him.

The Church militant thing was interesting but just seemed to be a bit of a side joke without really being explained, or to make comments about faith. However, the idea of the Church having a team of monster hunters is often explored in fiction, though I think it's the first time in Doctor Who. (And the comments about the church being critical of self-marriage seemed to be making fun of RTD's often-maligned gay references that sometimes seemed to be designed to provoke rather than push forward characters or plot - although on that note, there were no Scottish references tonight!)

Looking forward to next week, the Doctor's speech about not putting him in a trap was fantastic!

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rockhound
Apprentice
# 13407

- Posted      Profile for Rockhound   Email Rockhound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spoilers <not sure how this works in this forum>

Both me & other half were annoyed at the on-screen graphic. Have fired off strongly worded missive to Aunty Beeb via the online complaints form.

I agree, I didn't think Amy was jealous. I was a bit worried we'd have another gooey-eyed companion, but she seems to be able to hold her own, and didn't come across as 'threatened' by River.

Liked the Bishop, esp. that the Verger appeared to be in charge of the explosives!

Looking forward to next week

Saw the second half of confidential - Loved that it was filmed in the Clearwell Caves (Forest of Dean) haven't been there in years [Smile]

(edited for brain fade and spelling)

[ 24. April 2010, 22:21: Message edited by: Rockhound ]

--------------------
"...those dreadful Hammers! I hear the clink of them at the end of every cadence of the Bible verses." John Ruskin

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Bishop, lock and load!"

How long before someone has that sig on the Ship?

I didn't find the Angels as scary this time, partly because it's not our world (despite looking suspiciously like Llantwit beach at times, yes?) and so there isn't that creepy thing of the familiar being scary.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By the way - later on in 'Over The Rainbow', Graham Norton mentioned that the girls would need to cope with dialects.

Was I the only one who thought he said 'cope with Daleks'?

If so, then maybe that irritating 'coming next' graphic was all part of the story arc. Graham Norton breaks through the crack in time...!

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Giac
Apprentice
# 15580

- Posted      Profile for Giac   Email Giac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spoilers

nice episode, the best yet in my opinion. The speach at the end was very good, with the music adding the right amount of atmosphere. Spent half the time wondering if there were going to be any more hell calls over this series's approach to the church and if Moffat is a lurker in Hell. Either that or the end of the series is going to be fought out in a church.
Which might be kinda cool.

--------------------
The views and opinions of a teenager.

Posts: 20 | From: Earth. I think. | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree with Gill H - the Angels weren't as scary as original time out. Interesting that River Song first turned up in the Library episode which was also to do with "Orrible Fings Wot Happens In Teh Dark* - and the hint from The Bishop that she might be some kind of double-agent.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, I'm going against the flow here in saying was wasn't impressed with last night's episode. In fact, I'm now prepared to say that I'm finding this series a bit of a disappointment (I'll still watch it, of course) - somehow it's all too frentic, too much rushing about and not enough characterisation.

Speaking of which, I felt there was a major inconsistency with Amy. We are still early in her history with the Doctor (the fact that she can say, "You promised me a planet," shows there hasn't been lots of stuff happening that we haven't seen) yet she kept saying, "You never do X," or, "You would never do Y". How does she know?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
In fact, I'm now prepared to say that I'm finding this series a bit of a disappointment (I'll still watch it, of course) - somehow it's all too frentic, too much rushing about and not enough characterisation.

It's been like that for a long time, though. That's why they won't pick an older actor for the part of the Doctor, because they have to be physically fit enough to cope with a lot of rushing about.

Interesting that Amy shows no signs of culture shock, disorientation or missing home, nor even mention the forthcoming wedding. It's quite a contrast to when the Doctor gave the homesick Rose a mobile so she could phone her mum.

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed the episode - although I was annoyed that the "rules" of the angels seemed to have changed...while also thinking that it made them badder (esp when they took on (sacred) Bob's voice)
Daffyd said Tonight's episode changed the rules on the Angels a couple of times. (One of the rule changes has implications that I would hope most younger viewers do not think of...) - I'm not sure I understand. Can you explain? Probably I'm just being fick.

I too was extremely irritated by the intrusive pop up thingy...especially as the climax was sodramatic. I have complained to the BBC. Let's see what happens....

Forgot to say I'm not liking Amy as much as I'd hoped. I don't find her sympathetic and like others have said, she doesn't seem to give a monkey's that she has left everyone behind. And she seems too much of a know-all.

[ 25. April 2010, 10:34: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
Agree with Gill H - the Angels weren't as scary as original time out. Interesting that River Song first turned up in the Library episode which was also to do with "Orrible Fings Wot Happens In Teh Dark* - and the hint from The Bishop that she might be some kind of double-agent.

and also also has ghost voices.

Not sure how they're going to anchor Riverdance it's going to be quite hard getting backwards timelines making sense. I'm not sure about Miss Pond, there's clearly something wrong. They also seem to have returned to the traditional hem-lines, I'm not quite sure what to think to that.
I thought the pace was better in the episode, partly helped by the enemy being known and distant.
Was a bit disturbed by the 'come and see', wondering if it was an attempt at taking TWAITW mantle with a dig at Nathaniel. Probably more so that that than the bishop with guns (when of course they'd have heart suppression beams to avoid spilling blood and cos it's the future).

dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The new series is going a lot better than I feared. I just loved David Tennant but think there is something more 'docterish' about Matt. Maybe it's because he not quite so (gorgeously) overwhelming but has definitive presence?

I quite liked the idea that River Song is a bit of a 'chancer'. Question: did she say to Amy that this wasn't the actual doctor she has THE relationship with, or did I imagine that? (Like not this incarnation?)

I also like the fact that Matt's Dr was somwhaT overwhelmed by River and not that happy to be having to help her out. This gave the sense of him being not just younger but a wee bit 'fusty'. There's definitely something young fogyish about Matt, which Tennant did not embody being every bit the cool dude.

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wondered about the angels being able to move when other angels were watching/seeing them... Surely in a cave with that many angels in it with any light at all they'd all be locked solid rather than able to move as it seems like they can...
Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Pheonix:
Surely in a cave with that many angels in it with any light at all they'd all be locked solid rather than able to move as it seems like they can...

That's occurred to me. I hope we'll get an explanation next week. It may have to do with them having had their eyes eroded away.

The two/three red shirt soldiers going off and getting killed was predictable. Their commanding officer fails genre savvy spectacularly. The sequence where they got killed would have been vastly improved with a shot of the angel behind them, rather than the shot of the angel lunging.

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I'm not sure I understand. Can you explain? Probably I'm just being fick.

One of the rule changes is that an angel can now get through any television set that's showing it. You're watching it on a television set. Don't look away.
Perhaps that's too obvious to spell out.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Youngest Rogueling (aged 7) has finally decided to actually watch Dr Who. Hooray!

Last night's episode made her go and chat to Mrs Rogue in another room. The programme still works!

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is TWAITW and who is Nathaniel? (out of touch)
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

quote:

One of the rule changes is that an angel can now get through any television set that's showing it. You're watching it on a television set. Don't look away.

It didn't occur to me when watching, I'm afraid.
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
What is TWAITW and who is Nathaniel? (out of touch)

In earlier threads it was observed Russel Davies is openly atheist.
However there were a number of scenes where the Doctor seemed to have nicked the script from Aslan and/or Jesus. The episode with the face of Bo and the underground cars had 'adibe with me', and numerous other scenes where you might jump to the conclusion he was Christian*.
Hence the threads described him as The Worst Atheist In the World.

When the dialogue began and with the church newly introduced I saw a resonance with John 2
"Nazareth" explained Nathanael "Can anything good come from Nazareth?"
"Come and see for yourself" said Philip.
But with something very bad obviously happening, a form of dys-vangilism. It was probably a co-incidence as nothing really happened to build on it
(Dr made one comment '(bad thing) just like the church' that caused offence to the bishop?, but then the bishop made one speech about not abandoning lives-on neither of which I really caught the actual words).

*I guess there's a lesson to be learnt from that, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I completely loved it. The angels were just as scary second time round (I got the coming out of the telly thing and it really freaked me out) Have had a totally rubbish week and needed something to take my mind off stuff. Glad I watched it.
(I have to admit I actually had a mini-nightmare about angels coming out of the telly. Sort of aware it was a dream and could quite enjoy being scared by it.)

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

quote:
quote:

quote:

Didn't occur to me either, but now you mention it ... [Ultra confused]

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:

When the dialogue began and with the church newly introduced I saw a resonance with John 2
"Nazareth" explained Nathanael "Can anything good come from Nazareth?"
"Come and see for yourself" said Philip.

I was more reminded of Revelation:

6:1 I saw that the Lamb opened one of the seven seals, and I heard one of the four living creatures saying, as with a voice of thunder, "Come and see!"

6:2 And behold, a white horse, and he who sat on it had a bow. A crown was given to him, and he came forth conquering, and to conquer.

6:3 When he opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature saying, "Come!"

6:4 Another came forth, a red horse. To him who sat on it was given power to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another. There was given to him a great sword.

6:5 When he opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature saying, "Come and see!" And behold, a black horse, and he who sat on it had a balance in his hand.

6:6 I heard a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, "A choenix of wheat for a denarius, and three choenix of barley for a denarius! Don't damage the oil and the wine!"

6:7 When he opened the fourth seal, I heard the fourth living creature saying, "Come and see!"

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Didn't occur to me either, but now you mention it ... [Ultra confused]
SNAP! [Eek!]

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

Sorry for the double post. From the tasters for next week's episode, it looked as though the opposite of "Don't even blink!" occurs for Amy, and she can't look at the angels...or even open her eyes...

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, having watched the opening episode live with family, and the next 3 almost back-to-back from recordings on my return to civilisation, I'm fairly impressed. I couldn't easily imagine Matt Smith as the Doctor, because I was visualising DT, but I really like what he's doing with it, emphasising his egotism and stuffy cantankerousness. Yes, there are plot holes and unexplained elements and all that sort of thing, but it's easily living up to the mark set by previous series.

Shhhh! SPOILERS

I enjoyed the Smilers and Winders and all that stuff in The Beast Below, which could have come straight out of Classic Who, but had a modern twist in the plot. The basic concept behind the story was reminiscent of any number of plots from other series (Torchwood being the obvious one, as mentioned above), but in a sense that didn't matter, because it was such a late reveal, and the real story, IMO, was in the way ordinary people can do terrible things because they don't have the courage to do anything else. The precise detail of the terrible thing they were doing was secondary. Liz 10's discovery wasn't surprising, but it was still poignant.

Victory of the Daleks seemed like an interesting concept, and it worked in a way, but ultimately, it felt like a device for rebooting Dalek history for what feels like the 15th time but mainly creating a whole series of "new design" collect-em-all Dalek figures to flog to impressionable kiddies. There was lots that didn't work very well, and the Spitfires in space were ridiculous.

The Time of Angels was interesting. I was worried about Moffat digging up the Weeping Angels again so early, and wasn't sure it would live up to the high standard set by Blink, even though (or possibly because) Blink had been a cheap filler episode. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The set-up was nicely done, although the "Redshirts" were rather obvious, River Song provided enough plot and interest to cover an episode of lots of things not moving, and the reveal was cracking.

The Angels' use of Scared Bob to communicate was a nice idea, especially as he was passing on his sinister message so they still didn't speak themselves which could have shattered the aura, but it seemed a bit too similar to the spookiness of the voice recordings in Silence in the Library. I hope Moffat has still got some new ideas. I was also a little disappointed that more wasn't made of the difference between Matt Smith and DT, and the way different regenerations, with different characters, presumably relate to River Song quite differently. That said, I wouldn't be upset if they decided to kill her off and break the timelines rather than constantly try to shoehorn her (with attendant timey-wimeyness) into stories.

I quite like Amy. She seems rather sure of herself, but that's a welcome change from the constant "visit the family" storylines, and it's plausible for her character. After all, she's "known" this strange man for most of her life, suffered enormous disappointment and a lot of therapy when he vanished, and is still (I think) quite angry with him about that, although that seems to be softening as she learns more about him and how scary the universe can be. She should be a good foil for his arrogance.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much stronger episode than 'Victory of the Daleks' IMO. For one thing, it was scary, and that for me at least is one of the essential ingredients of Who.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The Curse of Fatal Death - Comic Relief episode penned by Stephen Moffatt (sp?) in the mid 90s. He lasted as the Doctor for maybe a minute before regenerating again. I'll explain later.*

And the Angels are terrifying. Especially as you can't use CCTV or mirrors for them. (And the reflection in Amy's eyes in the trailer? Brr!)

* I think it's on Youtube if anyone's interested.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I've complained to the BBC regarding the ludicrous and intrusive insertion of an animated "coming next" overlay right at the climax of today's episode.

The URL is here.

I'm really quite cross!

The BBC have now put their hands up and apologised.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8643684.stm

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As they bloody well should. Muppets. [Disappointed]

As someone else pointed out, if we want to know what's on next, we can use the on-screen guide, avail ourselves of the internet, or use one of those new-fangled listings magazines. We don't need animated Graham Nortons.

In fact, I can't see any situation that would warrant an animated Graham Norton except as a sign of the impending apocalypse.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SPOILER

Does anyone have any thoughts on Amy not remembering the Daleks?

M.

[ 26. April 2010, 20:08: Message edited by: M. ]

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
As they bloody well should. Muppets. [Disappointed]

As someone else pointed out, if we want to know what's on next, we can use the on-screen guide, avail ourselves of the internet, or use one of those new-fangled listings magazines. We don't need animated Graham Nortons.

In fact, I can't see any situation that would warrant an animated Graham Norton except as a sign of the impending apocalypse.

Virgin One do it too, on their afternoon reruns of Star Trek/Voyager/DS9, with their little red mascot scampering across the bottom of the screen.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
SPOILER

Does anyone have any thoughts on Amy not remembering the Daleks?

I thought it was linked in some way to the crack (in space/time?)

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
tessaB, that was what I came up with too. I nearly put it in my post, but thought others might have different ideas. It's a good incident - I hope we'll hear more of it over the next episodes.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took it to mean that by some timey-wimey means Amy had come across the Daleks prior to the war-time adventure - and that we would be seeing her in conflict with them in a future episode.

As one who finds Daleks supremely boring I am decidedly cast down by the prospect [Frown] [Disappointed]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
and that we would be seeing her in conflict with them in a future episode.

And yes, to do with the crack.
I sincerely hope they are not saving it for the series finale.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I took it to mean that by some timey-wimey means Amy had come across the Daleks prior to the war-time adventure - and that we would be seeing her in conflict with them in a future episode.

Surely it means the exact opposite - that in her timeline, for some reason, the Daleks didn't come along, fight a pitched battle with a division of Cybermen in Canary Wharf, attempt to enslave the whole of the Earth, try to steal the planet to destroy the universe, etc.

The simple answer, if anything can be called such in the context of time travel, would be that the Doctor jumped down the wrong trouser leg of time while he was getting used to the new Tardis, and ended up in a timeline where this didn't happen for some reason - if he can miss his date by a decade or so, I'm sure he could end up in the wrong timeline. But for all the occasional timey-wimeyness, Doctor Who rarely seems to move beyond a linear model of time, only remembering the complications of time travel when they're needed for a plot device.

Because of that, and the way it was flagged, it seems to be building up to an "issue", most likely to be addressed in an exciting double-headed finale. My money's on the crack as well, but I don't see that it has to involve the Daleks in the finale. The Daleks could be one of many unrelated things which have changed as a consequence (intended or not) of whatever is going on with this crack.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:

Surely it means the exact opposite - that in her timeline, for some reason, the Daleks didn't come along, fight a pitched battle with a division of Cybermen in Canary Wharf, attempt to enslave the whole of the Earth, try to steal the planet to destroy the universe, etc.

The simple answer, if anything can be called such in the context of time travel, would be that the Doctor jumped down the wrong trouser leg of time while he was getting used to the new Tardis, and ended up in a timeline where this didn't happen for some reason - if he can miss his date by a decade or so, I'm sure he could end up in the wrong timeline. But for all the occasional timey-wimeyness, Doctor Who rarely seems to move beyond a linear model of time, only remembering the complications of time travel when they're needed for a plot device.

Because of that, and the way it was flagged, it seems to be building up to an "issue", most likely to be addressed in an exciting double-headed finale. My money's on the crack as well, but I don't see that it has to involve the Daleks in the finale. The Daleks could be one of many unrelated things which have changed as a consequence (intended or not) of whatever is going on with this crack.

I think that during his lifetime the Doctor must have jumped in and out of dozens of different timelines - otherwise given the number of times that Earth has been nearly destroyed/invaded etc even in the new series, there would be nothing left by now.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

One of the things nobody's commented on so far is that the Doctor's attitude to River Song is partly conditioned by the fact that the last time he saw her she was giving up her life for his.

I was thinking that just after River Song asks the Doctor to 'sonic me'. It's just occurred to me that, for the Doctor, the phrase 'sonic me' as applied to River must bring something quite different to mind than it does to River and Amy.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016