homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that was good. That was very good. A pacy, clever script with torrents of quotable one-liners, a superbly crafted "villain" and some fantastic performances by the regulars. I thought Rory's death scene was particularly good - Amy's chillingly understated grief/rage/despair, and the Doctor's complete inability to comfort her.

Was this the season's "cheap" episode (as Midnight was a couple of years ago)? I'm pretty sure there were only two speaking parts apart from the regulars, and very little studio filming apart from the TARDIS scenes.

It would be great to see the Dream Lord again, but I can't see how they'd do it without another dream story (except there might be something in that fleeting reflection the Doctor saw in the TARDIS console...). And yes, Matt Smith is a brilliant Doctor. Yes.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Exegesis Fairy:
[qb]
Next week drilling into the Earth. Where have I seen that before? (Two word clue: John and Pertwee.)

Yeah, I was thinking Inferno too.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too was reminded of Midnight - cheap-to-make, ideas-based rather than relying on special effects - although I think this wasn't quite that good. It was ok.

The best thing about the episode to me was Toby Jones, but then he's excellent in everything he's in.

I still feel like I can't see why Amy loves Rory, even though she quite clearly does. Most of their interaction seems to be little put-downs and jokes at his expense.

As for how 'dark' the Dream Lord is, given that he nevers put them in any real danger - well he only exists because of the psychic pollen, and only within their minds - albeit in a shared dream-state. He has no influence on the real world. So no matter how dark he was he could never put them in any real danger.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good character-driven episode.

Where was that castle?

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Skenfrith, I believe.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

It struck me as a very Peter Davison sort of episode.

Older than that I think. This a real return to the roots. The sort of story that they were writing at the end of Hartnell's tenancy or when Troughton was doing it.

([Wonders] how old is Moffat? Who wrote this episode... [Checks online] He as born in 1961 so the chances are that he'll have seen some of the Hartnell episodes from behind the sofa but his regular Who-watching probably kicked off with Troughton who would have been there from when Moffat was 5 or 6 to when he was 9 or 10. And this one was written by Simon Nye, born in 1958. So Hartnell and Troughton era are likely to be definitive for him too)

The whole "Groundhog Day" thing, being stuck in a pocket universe, was used more than once back then - for example in "The Edge of Destruction" (cast members stuck in the Tardis and hallucinating) and two of the best ever stories: "The Celestial Toymaker" (Tardis trapped pocket universe existing in the mind of said toymaker, Doctor and companions must win games to survive) and "The Wargames" (renegade time-lords steal soldiers from odd bits of history) By the standards of the time that was a big-budget story but it was set in a little artifical universe in a sort of time-loop.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reminded of 'The Mind Robber' myself. (Troughton episode set in a place full of fictional creations.)

And of course, the Library episodes from recent years, with their (supposedly) perfect lives.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
Skenfrith, I believe.

As was much of the village, unsurprisingly. The butchers' shop was, as Gill has said, somewhat further south-west and was also the stting for (IIRC) 'The Temptation of Sarah Jane' in 'The Sarah Jane Adventures'

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Lord J.

It seems that there are 2 other castles nearby, but the circular walk that links them is 19 miles, so a little out of my range at the moment. Something for the summer.

--------------------

If only.

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have noticed they are playing on Matt Smith's youthful appearance by including Peter Pan references here and there. I noticed a few remarks from Rory about 'not growing up'. And the Doctor's habit of popping in and out of Amy's life.

Plus, she went flying in her nightie!

Hmmm ... now could we have a Captain Hook-style baddie please? That would be fun.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I recognised the castle!
Skenfrith, Grosmont and White Castle were originally a linked defence against the perfidious Welsh.
Grosmont is a gorgeous little castle, a sort of holiday cottage for Queen Eleanor of Provence, and there's a rather nice pub called the Angel in the village, too.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
I was reminded of 'The Mind Robber' myself. (Troughton episode set in a place full of fictional creations.)

I was rather hoping it was going to be the Mind Robber. As it was I found the explanation rather dull (some things we've never heard of fell into a part of the Tardis we've never heard of). This series still hasn't caught fire for me.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
quote:

I was rather hoping it was going to be the Mind Robber. As it was I found the explanation rather dull (some things we've never heard of fell into a part of the Tardis we've never heard of). This series still hasn't caught fire for me.
Ah, but the explanation that the Dream Lord was the Doctor's dark side was far from dull!

I really liked this episode. Funny, creepy and a little bit mind-bending - and pivotal to the ongoing story of the relationships between Amy, Rory and the Doctor.

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The greatest unanswered question though: does the real tardis have an emergency generator that consists of an egg whisk and a corkscrew?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
The greatest unanswered question though: does the real tardis have an emergency generator that consists of an egg whisk and a corkscrew?

I just loved that!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lola

Ship's kink
# 627

- Posted      Profile for Lola     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Revolutionist:
quote:
quote:

Ah, but the explanation that the Dream Lord was the Doctor's dark side was far from dull!

Yes - and the Doctor said he'd worked it out because there was only one person that hated him as much.
Posts: 951 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I'm getting in early - but otherwise I'm staying the same. Today's epsidoe was very deeply dull, and I think the BBC is starting to realise they have a problem. The "reviews" in the Radio Times seem to be to have an increasingly desperate note. Every week they rave about the new Doctor; today they said: "does anyone not like Matt Smith? The guy's brilliant." To my mind the most that can be said is that, for many people, the jury is still out.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bloody 'ell - it's a two-parter! I hate when that happens. They could've warned us. Not too uninteresting though. To be continued next week... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Today I'm getting in early - but otherwise I'm staying the same. Today's epsidoe was very deeply dull, and I think the BBC is starting to realise they have a problem. The "reviews" in the Radio Times seem to be to have an increasingly desperate note. Every week they rave about the new Doctor; today they said: "does anyone not like Matt Smith? The guy's brilliant." To my mind the most that can be said is that, for many people, the jury is still out.

I have to admit that I am a bit meh about Matt Smith. I find him quite annoying and think he completely overacts. Admittedly I loved David Tennant which doesn't help me in loving the new Dr!

Auntie Doris x

[ 22. May 2010, 21:32: Message edited by: Auntie Doris ]

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Episode: so far, so good. However, apart from future Amy and Rory on a hillside, nothing to trigger wild mass guessing.
I suppose the big question is whether the Doctor is going to live up to his promises to save everyone? He's not doing well enough to inspire confidence right now. On the other hand, the Silurian invasion force was more not showing itself in the dark scary than formidably dangerous scary.

I feel the cliff hanger was a bit mishandled. There's no immediate 'how are they going to get out of that then' or 'what's going on?' question. If they'd cut on the knife-wielder advancing on Amy, maybe, but it's clear that whatever he or she is doing is survivable.

Pedant point: Homo reptilia!? Homo is the name of the genus containing human beings, within the superfamily Hominoidea, within the order Primates and the class Mammalia. If they're Homo reptilia then they're mammals and apes, which is precisely what they're not. Mind you, the silurian warrior clearly had breasts so maybe she's a mammal after all.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe they're just... bumps? Amazing however she speaks English. Albeit, I thought, with perhaps a slight Irish accent? Which, again, might explain her green-ness.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stranger in a strange land
Shipmate
# 11922

- Posted      Profile for Stranger in a strange land   Email Stranger in a strange land   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must admit that I felt the Silurian's evolutionary path had taken a massive turn for the better in the last 40 years!
Posts: 608 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As with last week they seem to be recycling old plotlines and this episode has been just as predictable as last week. No real surprises here and an easy to guess ending. But OK really.

Meera Syal was very good. (So much so that I thought she showed up Matt and Amy.)

angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Homo reptilia could be a possibility I suppose, maybe they wanted the dead bodies for a bit of genetic engineering?
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

I loved the little boy - great actor.

Shame Meera Syal can't be a full time companion, she'd be wonderful.

Didn't feel strongly about this one, and was quite surprised at the non-cliffhanger-ending.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angelica37:
Homo reptilia could be a possibility I suppose, maybe they wanted the dead bodies for a bit of genetic engineering?

Now that you mention it I remember thinking at the time that graves that eat people was a splendid idea for a plotline that could have been developed much more than it was.

Well, perhaps it will be in Part 2. The Silurians may have a race of zombies under their control, Rory and Amy and the Welsh chap might become zombies which the Doctor will have to reverse. Knowing the way this series works, this will probably be achieved by feeding them dinners from the Meals on Wheels van as an antidote.

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was... nearly there but not quite, I'd say. Some good concepts, so nice acting, and it seems I'm not alone in thinking Meera Syal is fantastic. But not overall a particularly exciting episode and I'm starting to wonder about Matt Smith again.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know I am very easily pleased but I loved it! Graves that eat people!!! The earth coming alive and fighting back!!! Reptile people!!! Very clever little boy who cannot read!!! Entire civilisation under the ground!!! Wow, what is not to love?
Ok, putting aside my over punctuation, the down points were - Matt Smith talks too blooming fast. I'm not yet fifty and I have trouble keeping up with him. Amy does not take enough care of her boyfriend. It annoys me a little when I see her running after the Doctor and just assuming poor whats-his-name will tag on behind. (Although I warmed muchly to her after the 'are you shushing me?' line. The Doctor seems to spend a lot of time telling people very very sincerely that he will save the day, getting a bit yawn.
Waiting to see how the Doctor makes it all alright again, I wonder will the boy play a role?

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked it - good threat, characters etc - except I did wince when Matt Smith asked "Am I mad?" That was the worst bit for me - wholly not necessary

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked this week's episode, lots. Okay, it was mostly set-up for next week, but there were some great ideas, a good solid plot, good characters, and some really nice moments.

I'm one of those that think Matt Smith is utterly brilliant. His apparent occasional overacting is only a veneer on a very subtle performance. Watch him. Every gesture, every line is perfectly judged for who this Doctor is - it's a remarkably complete characteristaion.

Two of the best Matt moments this week were his last-of-the-Time-Lords references. First, when he was talking with Elliot about living in a city, and Elliot asks, "Do you miss it?" There's just the right hesitation, just the right flicker in the eye, and then that killer line, "So much," is delivered perfectly.

Later, in his conversation with the Silurian, look at the expression on his face when she says she's the last of her species. And again the perfect delivery, ending on a note of real threat, as he says, "I'm the last of my species, and I know how that sits in a heart. So don't insult me."

Okay, the cliffhanger wasn't great. Old-school Who would have ended on the Silurian doctor and his scalpel. There's lots of unresolved stuff, but that's what next week is for. (It occurred to me, for instance, that it would be lovely if there was a hidden agenda behind the drilling. But maybe not.)

Like I say, I liked it.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Yep, loved the interrogation scene - almost Bond-villain in its menace.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
Matt Smith talks too blooming fast. I'm not yet fifty and I have trouble keeping up with him.

Yes! This is the one criticism I have of Matt. I am - erm - over fifty, and can't always follow him. Otherwise I think he is brilliant. I was wary of such a young Doctor at first, but his 'young fogey'-ness, his mannerisms, even the leather elbow patches on his jacket are all completely wonderful. David Tennant's gurning irritated me in the end. Matt's arrival was not a moment too soon.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After four series stealing merrily from Buffy, it seems that BBC Wales are now stealing from Star Trek. Bloke gets caught by Silurian forked tongue that then appears to infect him and turn him into a Silurian (spreading green veins) - Borg, anyone?

I thought it was good for a first part of two: it cracked along nicely, even though the ending was badly handled. Plenty of threat left in part 2.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
David Tennant's gurning irritated me in the end. Matt's arrival was not a moment too soon.

Yes, yes, yes. Not only that but DT's habit of ending words with 'Aa' e.g. 'Alrightaa'. It irritated me somewhat.

To my surprise Matt Smith is indeed good. It helps that women aren't swooning over him too.

--------------------

If only.

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Later, in his conversation with the Silurian, look at the expression on his face when she says she's the last of her species. And again the perfect delivery, ending on a note of real threat, as he says, "I'm the last of my species, and I know how that sits in a heart. So don't insult me."

I thought that was incredible, you could almost FEEL the pain! [Overused]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor Rory!
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wilson:
Poor Rory!

very disappointed by that - he had made a much better companion than Amy.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes, what with Nasreen being left underground for the next few millennia, Rory disintegrating (and the Tardis, by the look of it) and the Doctor being stuck with the newly single but still hardboiled Amy, not really the ending I was hoping for.
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm,
Best result for the Silarian's yet.
I was initially annoyed by the narrator but it may have made a fair ending seem more likely against the forces of status quo, improving the balance.

They upped Rory's game quite a bit, killed him heroically, and left the ring, which makes me vaguely hopeful he wasn't killed just to clear the way for the Dr. Waiting to see if it ends fittingly.

I'll be sorry to see him go but maybe he'll show them they can do inspiring, non-magical human assistants for more than 5 minutes.

The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The main story with the Silurians was so-so, but the storylines for the series as a whole are developing nicely.

The characters seemed pretty two-dimensional, especially the Silurians, with the stereotypical warrior, scientist and diplomat figures, and the humans aren't much more developed.

Hitting the snooze button in the hope that things work out better in 1000 years time seemed a bit of a cop-out. I'd at least have liked a scene with the Doctor popping forward to 3020 to see the Cult of the Lizard-People waiting for the prophecy to be fulfilled, and being there to welcome the Silurians on waking.

But it's all pretty entertaining, and moves along at a good pace, with some nice design work on the Silurian city. There's some good twists and turns in the last ten minutes too.

I'd be very surprised if Rory is gone for good, though. I think they'd have handled his death completely differently if he was actually, permanently being written out. What if the cracks don't just remove you from your timeline, but also deposit you somewhere else? Maybe somewhere in the universe, Rory, a bunch of clerics, and some startled weeping angels have found themselves on the other side of the crack! We'll have to wait and see...

The piece of shrapnel seemed to imply that the cracks are caused by the future destruction of the TARDIS, which is intriguing. More timey-wimey plotting from Moffat!

There also seems to be a developing theme of the Doctor letting Amy down. I like it that the series is playing up the Doctor's fallibility - I'm sure he'll find a way to make it all come good in the end, of course, but that's fine as long as he makes mistakes along the way and has to work hard to finally win.

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The main story with the Silurians was so-so . . .

Fabulous make-up, though!

[Overused]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the main story was OK, it was obvious the Silurian hostage (Alaia?)was going to be killed by someone and it all got a bit dreary during the peace talks. But the ending was electric - didn't see it coming at all.

I hope Rory gets back in some way; Amy is getting very irritating.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Having just seen the repeat on BBC3 I found that fascinating. Given a choice I would rather Amy had disappeared than Rory, but at last we've seen the crack in time actually doing something. The glimpse of their future selves made them both look safe, and now she can't even remember him. Clearly this is part of the build up to the finale (only four episodes to go), but there is a long way to go if that is going to be satisfying.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Rory was indeed growing as a character. (sniff)

Anyway, questions: Is the Tardis blowing up anything to do with the wedding not taking place, I wonder?
If the Tardis doesn't blow up (like they would) does that mean that the crack never existed, and if the crack never existed, does that mean that Rory comes back, but if Rory comes back would that mean that the Doctor and Amy had to find some other way to dispose of all the angels on the Byzantium?

In previous seasons, I've wondered why the Doctor doesn't do something proactive about the season arc. In this case, given the Eleventh Doctor's usual MO, I can believe that the Doctor is trying to think of a plan but is waiting until he comes up with one at the last minute.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
In previous seasons, I've wondered why the Doctor doesn't do something proactive about the season arc. In this case, given the Eleventh Doctor's usual MO, I can believe that the Doctor is trying to think of a plan but is waiting until he comes up with one at the last minute.

I think, as previously, that he doesn't know or understand what is going on. He realises that it is serious, but until he known more, he cannot do anything about it, much as he would like to. He was, at least, being proactive this time in finding some debris to give him a clue, but that seems to have puzzled him even more.

As so often this series, he needs to understand and formulate a plan before he does something. He is not there yet.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

quote:
He is not there yet.
Is this a comment on the character or the actor? It works for both.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
After four series stealing merrily from Buffy, it seems that BBC Wales are now stealing from Star Trek. Bloke gets caught by Silurian forked tongue that then appears to infect him and turn him into a Silurian (spreading green veins) - Borg, anyone?

Ahem. Borg famously copied from Cybermen. Though trope familiar in written SF from long before.

quote:
I'd at least have liked a scene with the Doctor popping forward to 3020 to see the Cult of the Lizard-People waiting for the prophecy to be fulfilled, and being there to welcome the Silurians on waking.

Also done in earlier series, sort-of - there were the Monoids and that other lot whose name I forget in generation ships.

quote:

I'd be very surprised if Rory is gone for good, though. I think they'd have handled his death completely differently if he was actually, permanently being written out.

That sounds very plausible. I suspect we get him back, presumably by going back in time and changing something in the past. Of course that dumps about two thousand stone angels back into the story as well...

... you could imagine a plotline along the lines of "do I risk bringing the Angels back intothe universe in order to get Rory back?"

quote:

The piece of shrapnel seemed to imply that the cracks are caused by the future destruction of the TARDIS, which is intriguing.

Or else the original police box the Tardis is based on... though for consistency that would imply Daleks and I don;t want to see them again for at least a year.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Was anyone else reminded by the Star Whale, of the giant creature that was being kept for meat in an early Torchwood episode?

Going back a few episodes now, I didn't see anyone respond to this question, and yes, I immediately thought of that. The Torchwood episode was, of course, infinitely more tragic and disturbing, but the premise of exploitation was similar. I loved HM Liz X and found the intriguing idea of an Afro-Carribean British monarch in the distant future (continuing mixing of gene pools and all that)charmingly plausible. The way the population were both let in on the truth of things and left/led to participate in the mass denial was also, I thought, extremely British (or at least awfully English).

That episode was well written, but I've found most of this series to be very loosely written with a lot of loose strings and unanswered questions.

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe somewhere in the universe, Rory, a bunch of clerics, and some startled weeping angels have found themselves on the other side of the crack! We'll have to wait and see...

Ecclesiantics perhaps?
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was it explained why the bodies from the graves disappeared?

And where the time shift came from that led Amy and Rory to see themselves on the hillside at the beginning? They showed it again on the 'Previously...' bit at the start of Part 2, but I didn't catch the explanation, unless it was just so Amy could say 'I thought I saw someone else' about Rory.

Sorry, I watched it late; low brain power.

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016