homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Praying to Santa on Holy Saturday (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Praying to Santa on Holy Saturday
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So you see, child prays to Santa, Santa - in one of his many avatars - answers prayer.

Obviously all part of the Pagan Plot to exterminate (ex-ter-min-ate! ex-ter-min-ate!) Christianity and restore the old gods. But things are going so well I think we can afford to be open about it.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
and the BBC Christmas adverts of the reindeer pulling the TARDIS with DT was a message to the faithful who knew the secret (now much less secret) teaching.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who says the ship of fools isn't educational and helpful?
We will shortly be announcing our intention to run a group of primary schools.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought it reflected a society that has enough spiritual niggles to reach out and 70+% in Uk census claim believe in 'god' however they define that.

And yet the confusion about how to reach out and to whom.

And two minutes later I was just enjoying the story and how it was just a way of establishing the plot start (why she was scared) and DW's arrival.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a crap Hell thread. Have any of you pea-brains not realised that it's fiction and that if the Beeb had in fact shown the wee lassie praying to God with the Doctor turning up in answer to her prayers then they'd have been inundated by moronic letters accusing them of blasphemy?

Apologies if someone's said this already but I can't be arsed reading the whole thread.

The thing I remember about the new Dr Who was the new Who girl wearing a WPC kiss-o-gram uniform. For kiss-o-gram read euphenism for strip-o-gram. Phnarr! Phnarr!

Gamaliel

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Apologies if someone's said this already but I can't be arsed reading the whole thread.

I will however exert myself to remark that you are a buffoon and an idiot. And if you get chewed out by a Hell Host a second time, it's no more than you deserve.
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

I will however exert myself to remark that you are a buffoon and an idiot. And if you get chewed out by a Hell Host a second time, it's no more than you deserve.
He could pray to the great god Santa for protection and deliverance.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What a crap Hell thread. Have any of you pea-brains not realised that it's fiction

[Eek!]

[Help]

[Waterworks]

Dear Santa,

Thanks for the chocolates. Please get rid of this heretic. He's spoiling the thread. Can you put him through the crack in the wall into the cell with Prisoner Zero? Ta.

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What a crap Hell thread. Have any of you pea-brains not realised that it's fiction and that if the Beeb had in fact shown the wee lassie praying to God with the Doctor turning up in answer to her prayers then they'd have been inundated by moronic letters accusing them of blasphemy?

The thing I remember about the new Dr Who was the new Who girl wearing a WPC kiss-o-gram uniform. For kiss-o-gram read euphenism for strip-o-gram. Phnarr! Phnarr!

Gamaliel

This pea-brain, along with a few others, have made similar comments about it's not worth taking seriousl.

So, apology not accepted. If you can't be arsed to read, you shouldn't be arsed to write.

Arse.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll get me coat.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Gosh, its like watching a 40 year old guy going through a mid life crisis, without the resulting red cars and flashy women.

Ok, so his ride may look like a Volvo estate, but even Clarkson would have to be impressed by all the gadgets, the deceptively roomy interior and nought to timewarp in three seconds.

And Billie Piper? Freema Agyeman? Karen Gillan? I would. You're welcome to Catherine Tate, mind.

K Bird, age 46.

[ 05. April 2010, 23:18: Message edited by: kankucho ]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What a crap Hell thread. Have any of you pea-brains not realised that it's fiction...

You are obviously a heathen and you will burn in HELL!!

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rock Pig:
Choriste sed

"People pray to the saints all the time."

Not in the Methodist or Baptist Churches I've hung out with they don't. Nor would my Sally Army pals. Come to think of it I've not noticed my Anglican drinking buddies doing it either.

But Chorister said "people", which I'm sure you know is a group not limited to Methodists, Baptists, Salvationists, and Anglicans.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I hate you.

I'm telling the Daleks where you live.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
my favourite line in the whole thing was
(doc reflecting on all the kid was going through)

'you know what I think?'

'what?'

'it must be a hell of a scary crack in your wall.'

by the way, Annette Crosby was the mother of her childhood friend, current boyfriend and soon-to-be-jilted fiancé. I think.

eta - context of quote

[ 06. April 2010, 09:47: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:

I'm not going to join in the "favourite line" thing (which must surely be Heavenly). But, if you want a great line that was a sure fire certainty to offend a large number of people you can't really do better than "You're Scottish, fry something".

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

I'm not going to join in the "favourite line" thing (which must surely be Heavenly).
A bloke inviting himself into a little girl's bedroom to examine her crack?

You've got a weird idea of what's Heavenly!

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

I'm not going to join in the "favourite line" thing (which must surely be Heavenly). But, if you want a great line that was a sure fire certainty to offend a large number of people you can't really do better than "You're Scottish, fry something".
Especially considering that Moffat is very definitely Scottish!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Especially considering that Moffat is very definitely Scottish!

And therefore allowed to say these things.
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kankucho:
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Gosh, its like watching a 40 year old guy going through a mid life crisis, without the resulting red cars and flashy women.

Ok, so his ride may look like a Volvo estate, but even Clarkson would have to be impressed by all the gadgets, the deceptively roomy interior and nought to timewarp in three seconds.

And Billie Piper? Freema Agyeman? Karen Gillan? I would. You're welcome to Catherine Tate, mind.

K Bird, age 46.

Hmm...point taken.

He is in mid life crisis.

Bloody idiot should just get over it.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

I guess it makes a change from the image of the Easter Bunny nailed to the cross. (Googlable if you really want to.)

Roadkill.

Nails are so passe. Here's something to be offended by. (I am a very bad and wrong person for finding it funny).

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

- Posted      Profile for hereweare   Email hereweare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I too was a bit miffed by the santa bit (as posted in heaven)but take Choirister's point about St Nicholas [Cool] I feel that I should also confess that I was very cross that the F1 coverage was was moved to BBC 2 halfway through because of the Easter service on BBC 1 [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Come home to Rome this Christmas!

Posts: 206 | From: here | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
bonabri
Shipmate
# 304

- Posted      Profile for bonabri   Email bonabri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was more miffed that the Doctor's 'resurrection' took place at Christmas time.
Posts: 274 | From: Brighton and Hove, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by opaWim:
Rest assured that
(a) I'm fully aware that Dr. Who isn't real;

WHAT?! Liar. Heretic!

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WHAT?! It took you a whole week to come up with that reply?!

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Who says the ship of fools isn't educational and helpful?
We will shortly be announcing our intention to run a group of primary schools.

and entering the Songs of Praise almost but not quite religious school choir competition and winning with the theme to The Snowman.
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Astley:
quote:
Originally posted by Rock Pig:
Choriste sed

"People pray to the saints all the time."

Not in the Methodist or Baptist Churches I've hung out with they don't. Nor would my Sally Army pals. Come to think of it I've not noticed my Anglican drinking buddies doing it either.

But Chorister said "people", which I'm sure you know is a group not limited to Methodists, Baptists, Salvationists, and Anglicans.
Stretching a tangent perhaps, this Anglican prays to St Anthony when things go missing. Why? It works
Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
WHAT?! It took you a whole week to come up with that reply?!

I've been away from the Internet since April 1st. It's a little thing called 'vacation'.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

opaWim
Shipmate
# 11137

- Posted      Profile for opaWim   Email opaWim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:
Originally posted by opaWim:
Rest assured that
(a) I'm fully aware that Dr. Who isn't real;

WHAT?! Liar. Heretic!
Stupid of me. I should never have owned up to that one. [Frown]

--------------------
It's the Thirties all over again, possibly even worse.

Posts: 524 | From: The Marshes | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
and entering the Songs of Praise almost but not quite religious school choir competition and winning with the theme to The Snowman.

Walking in the Air would be a very fitting anthem for Ascension Day, doncha think?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bean Sidhe:
Stretching a tangent perhaps, this Anglican prays to St Anthony when things go missing. Why? It works

Tony, Tony, look around,
Something's lost and must be found.

Haven't tried it myself, but I have friends who swear by it.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was looking for this. Read it earlier.

Am applying for Job. Could not find SS card. Sulked. Gave up. Poked around on Ship.

Saw above incantation. Sneered. Sulked some more. Thought about it. Muttered incantations in sulky voice. Continued sulking, as felt stupid indulging childish magical thinking.

Dragged myself upstairs, and opened a drawer through which I had already looked. Passport wallet fell down from space inside drawer where it had jammed. Card holder fell out. Opened card holder. There it was.

Thanks, Tony.

[ 13. April 2010, 20:27: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Am applying for Job. Could not find SS card. Sulked. Gave up. Poked around on Ship.

Sorry, must be a Pond thing, but - SS card? [Eek!] On the grounds it's not membership of this, what is it and why do you need it (and so why did you need St Anthony)?

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
testbear
Shipmate
# 4602

- Posted      Profile for testbear     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Social Security, no?

--------------------
"If you really believe what you say you believe / you wouldn't be so damn reckless with the words you speak"

Posts: 127 | From: a town where you can't smell a thing | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, Social Security Card/Number.

But Kelly, I've never been asked to produce the card, merely the number. Good grief, has Homeland Security driven the bureaucrats mad?

I'll have to pass on your story to my Tony, Tony friend; she'll love it.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah. May be a California thing, may be because I work with kids, but they take a photo copy of my Social Security card not only at job interviews, but at every new sub gig.
Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

I do believe the Federal I-9 Employment Eligibility form requires natural-born USAdians to provide either a photo ID and proof of citizenship (SS card, birth certificate) OR a passport.

The I-9's been around for at least 15 years, 'cause one of my first gigs out of high school was keeping track of I-9s for a series of thrift stores.

[ 14. April 2010, 15:47: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Yeah, you're right. I've been a stay-at-home-mom and then a kept woman [Smile] for the past few decades. I'd forgotten that I had to dig out my passport when I was elected Town Treasurer last year in order to get my measly paychecks. I-9, indeed.

The world has truly gone crazy.

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

This has gone way off subject. Try the Job Search Support thread in All Saints.

Spike
Hellhost

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016