homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Silence will fall - the Doctor Who thread returns (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Silence will fall - the Doctor Who thread returns
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I remember rightly it was one of the Living Dead films which had bits of people (and a dog) which still moved as though alive in some way. Torchwood reminded me of that.

The scene in the lab was brilliantly chilling, especially when Jack asked what would happen if the head was removed.

Roll on part 2.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm just not that crazy about Jack for some reason. He never won me over like he did so many.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, I don't like Jack either. He's the reason I never got into Torchwood at all.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I watched this yesterday evening. I suppose it was OK-ish but it didn't strike me as very much like Torchwood, it was just a bit generic. Some of the gory stuff was a bit gratuitous to my mind.

I noticed some of the stupidities noted up thread as well - giving wotsisname co-ordinates within sight of the house, the hospital doctor wearing killer heels etc etc.

No doubt I will record it next Thursday but if I don't get around to watching it, it won't bother me. Shame, I quite liked Torchwood, once they got over the 'it's grown up, so it's got to be about sex' phase of the very early ones.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just thought it was all a bit naff. I was really disappointed. Lots of running around, lots of women in high heels, lots of gore for no apparent reason but no real story development or much going on of interest.

Will watch next week just in case but I'm sorely disappointed [Frown]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm also curious to know exactly what "tailored for the American Market" means... ? Are we that different? Does it mean I'm missing something that Americans are thinking is good or that they've just dumbed the show down? No idea why it would have to change for their market.
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Watched the second one and well, hmm, it's still just ok. It doesn't have the campness or silliness of the first two series but it's not quite in the same league as Children of Earth.

I think RTD struggles to maintain tone sometimes. A non-spoilery example. They discover something gory - I won't say what it is but it's already been in the trailer. So you have the big shock reveal moment and then the characters present go on to have a 3 minute conversation (which is largely exposition for our benefit) almost as if the gory thing weren't there. It ends up feeling comic.

I've heard Bill Pullman praised for his performance but I think he's chewing the scenery. Plus he's doing this weird accent-cum-vocal tick thing that I find off-putting. It feels like he's self-consciously making Danes 'evil' but I think if he just played it straight and let the evil come through the lines and actions, it would be better.

I liked the woman who played the daughter on Six Feet Under.

Not sure about the stuff on the plane.

I will probably watch to the end to see how it plays out though.

[ 17. July 2011, 12:41: Message edited by: wilson ]

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've watched the first part of Miracle Day, and it's okay. Only okay. Really, with only Jack and Gwen, and Rhys as a hanger-on, can it call itself Torchwood now? Or is this story going to relaunch it with a new team?

Children of Earth was exceptional - a shocking, cynical piece of drama with great writing and performances. Miracle Day has a long way to go to catch up.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
I'm just not that crazy about Jack for some reason. He never won me over like he did so many.

I thought he was good in The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances as a prospective companion. He had an interesting backstory, charm, and a scoundrel with a heart of gold morality that made an interesting contrast with Eccleston's Doctor.

Torchwood has largely ignored the backstory in favour of making him immortal having gone round history the slow way several times, has largely dropped the charm in favour of a more boring charisma, and has replaced the scoundrel with a heart of gold with angst over some really serious wrongdoing in the past. (Can you imagine the Jack Harkness who's showed up in Doctor Who doing what Children of Men showed him doing in the sixties?)

Personally, I'd have rather had one minute of Moffat writing Jack again in A Good Man Goes to War as a cameo than a series of Torchwood written by Davies.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, and the season trailer showed Gwen punching out Sierra, which I cannot forgive.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
dafyd posted: I thought he was good in The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances as a prospective companion. He had an interesting backstory, charm, and a scoundrel with a heart of gold morality that made an interesting contrast with Eccleston's Doctor.

Torchwood has largely ignored the backstory in favour of making him immortal having gone round history the slow way several times, has largely dropped the charm in favour of a more boring charisma, and has replaced the scoundrel with a heart of gold with angst over some really serious wrongdoing in the past. (Can you imagine the Jack Harkness who's showed up in Doctor Who doing what Children of Men showed him doing in the sixties?)

Personally, I'd have rather had one minute of Moffat writing Jack again in A Good Man Goes to War as a cameo than a series of Torchwood written by Davies.

I completely agree with you until your last sentence. The last thing Moff needs is another thread to weave into this season!

The whole Macgyveresque scene on the plane was too much. [Eek!]

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Could you spell out the parallels with The Amber Spyglass please? I've never been struck by a resemblance, but it's a long time since I read the book, and my memory isn't what it was.

I wasn't struck by it at the time, just nauseated by the schmaltz. However, the parallels are fairly blatant - parallel worlds with movement between them, love interest pair having to seal themselves in separate worlds, thereby saving the universe but losing each other.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Could you spell out the parallels with The Amber Spyglass please?

Sorry, missed this, but as The Great Gumby says: two people in love have to spend the rest of their lives in different parallel worlds in order to save the universe (until the end of season finale in two years time).

[ 18. July 2011, 09:21: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Could you spell out the parallels with The Amber Spyglass please?

Sorry, missed this, but as The Great Gumby says: two people in love have to spend the rest of their lives in different parallel worlds in order to save the universe (until the end of season finale in two years time).
Fair do's Dafyd - Rose was getting so simperingly clingy, chucking her into a parallel universe was the only way to get rid of her. Even then, she came back and wouldn't go away till she got her own toy Doctor to play with.

--------------------

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I quite enjoyed part one of Torchwood. Not up to the standard of Children of Earth granted, but not bad at all. As it is an opening of a series you need a lot expository stuff to set the scene. I think it will get better as it progresses.

Spoiler Alert

Making CJ human has been on the cards for long time. Could give us some nice plot twists.

End of spoilers.

What it needs is a steady, nice guy who, is not all action but has calming influence on the group. Oh yeah they killed Ianto off in Children of Earth didn't they.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder if this is how the transition of Captain Jack from humanoid (is he human? I can't remember) to giant head begins.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is an interesting question. I was under the impression that the idea had been dropped. It would be easy to explain it away some other way. He is pretty big headed now mind.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So what did people think of episode 2 of Torchwood?

I thought it was rather silly and padded - did we really need to take an entire episode of Torchwood's transatlantic flight, and did the efforts to kill Jack en route really add anything? As for the way they created the "antidote"... The CIA also seem to spend their time watching YouTube videos, and have useless security.

The bits not involving Torchwood were ironically quite good - Oswald Danes' tv appearance for example, and that doctor's efforts to get to grips with the Miracle. And having watched a preview copy of episode 3, it does pick up a lot next week.

My podcast commentary on the episode, for those of you geeky enough to be interested, is now online: http://tinyurl.com/IP-TWMD02

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

I'm getting quite disappointed with it. It just seems like a generic American tv programme just with recognisable characters from Torchwood in it.
[Frown]

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Macgyver rip-off! Hee!

OK but not great. Compare it to the repeat of 'Sherlock' which was on the previous evening ... no contest.

And I love me some JB but I liked Flirty Jack. Angsty Jack is dull.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Creating chelation solution from random things on a plane was ridiculous. The idea of taking something made up like that and injecting it into someone was stupid. Adding degreaser because it contains something relevant is just poor.

Not impressed.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The entire poison/antidote thing was ludicrous, and it seemed to have been crowbarred in for three reasons - some immediate danger (as opposed to the obvious distant kind), clear evidence that the CIA are nasty, and hammering home the "Jack's Mortal" storyline.

Despite that, the eipsode was a clear improvement on the first one, and there are signs of a proper plot emerging from the clunky setup. I can't see it being great, but it could certainly turn into watchable summer trash.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Revolutionist:
The bits not involving Torchwood were ironically quite good - Oswald Danes' tv appearance for example,

Seriously? I was embarrassed for Pullman watching that. Also I think it seriously underestimates the public hatred of paedophiles to think merely crying on TV would turn the tide of opinion.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
I'm getting quite disappointed with it. It just seems like a generic American tv programme just with recognisable characters from Torchwood in it.
[Frown]

Yes, after last week I didn't bother. I don't feel I've missed it, either.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was in the same state as Ariel until I read some comments on another site, so I just might watch it. I'd like some repeats of McGyver, though.

Penny

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At least it's got them all together and all on the run now. And I did like Gwen's answer to the CIA woman's "If this is the best England has God help them" line.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

I think it's getting better. Yes, a lot of last week's episode consisted of faffing around in a plane. But remember the second episode of Children of Earth? - mostly trying to get Jack out of a block of concrete. Bits of business like this are just ways of having nothing much happen while the plot thickens. (I loved the airline steward - "I'm not gay ... I'm not gay ... Look, one time ...". [Big Grin]

Having Danes redeem himself by crying on tv is Russell Davies's cynical side coming out again: all it takes to turn you from a monster into a star is a few tears to camera. It's an exaggeration of how Davies thinks the world works, and I'm not sure he's all that far off the mark.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's all getting a bit George A Romero though...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
And I did like Gwen's answer to the CIA woman's "If this is the best England has God help them" line.

Maybe. I thought the CIA woman's(*) line was obviously set up in order to get the response. The whole thing came off as rather cynically calculated. ("These poor Americans are often confused between English and Welsh.")

(*) or Sierra, as she was in a much better sf show (Dollhouse).

[ 26. July 2011, 09:49: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Back to the Doctor: New trailer.
Comments?

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moffatt really does like pulling all the baddies out of the cupboard, doesn't he? And it looks like the Flesh Doctor is going to save the day somehow.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the Doctor again, especially after watching this week's Torchwood - I missed the first 2 eps but read up on them here and elsewhere. I'm afraid I gave up and went to bed before the end...I'm not loving the American setting, or much else about it to be honest. I miss Ianto, I miss Cardiff and Rhys - hell, I even miss that Tosh girl and Owen. And I've gone right off Jack. Shall I bother tuning in next time? Hmmm.

Btw, Rory was not bad at all as Mephistopheles down at the Globe - mild on the surface, with an underlying melancholy. Could have been more chilling, but not bad. It was good to see him in something more challenging and different.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I took the silence here after episode 3 of Torchwood as a sign that I am not alone in giving up on it.

When is Doctor back - Sept??

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Still watching Torchwood, but not really engaged by it. Still, we record it and watch it on Saturday evening when there's really nothing else on that we enjoy.
But yes, I miss Ianto and Wales too. This is just kind of generic US "thrillery" stuff. It doesn't have any of the "charm" (I'm not sure that's the word, really...) that "Torchwood" in Wales had.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
And I did like Gwen's answer to the CIA woman's "If this is the best England has God help them" line.

Maybe. I thought the CIA woman's(*) line was obviously set up in order to get the response. The whole thing came off as rather cynically calculated. ("These poor Americans are often confused between English and Welsh.")

In similar vein I got rather tired of the constant references to differences in American and UK English in Episode 3 - surely everyone in the UK knows by now that Americans call a mobile a cellphone?

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
This is just kind of generic US "thrillery" stuff.

Mm. Yes. I tuned in the other day, because, y'know, Jack Harness and Co., but it held my attention for about five minutes, for that reason-- I felt like I was watching a repackaged episode of Enterprise.

Just a small note to American TV producers-- we really gotta do something about our overuse of soundtrack to cue emotional response in viewers-- we use music in TV series like they used to use it in 1940's radio soap operas. (sorry, pet peeve.)

Back to Torchwood--they are wasting Lauren Ambrose, who is a lovely girl and a brilliant actress (check out the series Six Feet Under for evidence.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I watched up to 3, and am not impressed at all. It felt in structure very much like Flashforward, which I have never watched all the way through. I didn't like all the translation stuff (did they think the US audiences needed it, though?), and I definitely did not like the gay "joke" or Jack's dependency on Gwen (though that does make sense in the circumstances).
The idea that it is all a plot by Big Pharma is weird, as that only seems to apply in the States so far, and there is no suggestion as to the source of the drugs, or the financing of their purchase by people thrust into poverty by needing them. It doesn't make sense. (Even as a satirical comment on the US provision of health services).
The CIA chief's revelation about the source of the controls on him suggested a link with the Silence of Dr Who. I do hope not. I might just keep up with the plot on synopsis sites.

Penny

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
I took the silence here after episode 3 of Torchwood as a sign that I am not alone in giving up on it.

No, I gave up after the first episode and haven't bothered since. I miss Torchwood - as it used to be. This new series feels more like a US TV show with two UK guest stars. This doesn't have anything I really relate to and I don't like the current plot. Torchwood's never really been the same since Ianto and Owen died, anyway.

Doctor Who is back not as a series but as specials at intervals throughout the year, I believe.

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was shouting at the TV during the 'cross-pond translation' scene. I was waiting for a smart-mouthed reply from Gwen as a payoff but it never came.

Brits watch enough US TV to know all those things, and any US viewers who didn't know are perfectly capable of figuring them out.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Doctor Who will be back as another half series, starting with "Let's Kill Hitler", which won't succeed. A trailer is available somewhere. It is currently running the first half on BBC3 straight after running last year's, in which it is quite clear that the silence which will fall is the destruction of the universe. Making it up as he went along, definitely.

I quite agree with Ariel, it is nothing like it was, which I miss, and it is like a US series with the odd UK visitor. And it is not like a good one.

I almost suspect this of being Davies' aim all along, and that he used Dr Who as a way of getting to Hollywood for his own original series which he could not get made until he got it slotted into Dr Who like a parasite.

Penny

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Loved the new trailer for the autumn series. It looks totally crazy.

I've also watched part 3 of Miracle Day, and I'm afraid I'm starting not to like it. This one really was rather dull, with lots of faffing around and only one or two moments of serious plot development.

How many parts are there?

--------------------

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

quote:
Adeodatus posted: Loved the new trailer for the autumn series. It looks totally crazy.
I only hope autumn series lives up to the promise of the trailer. I think the first part of the series fell a bit short. *crosses fingers*

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Kelly - we really liked 6 feet under too [Smile]

We watched it as I wanted to (I'm rubbish at only half watching a film or half reading a book - I *need* to know how it ends even if it's crap) and thought it really was going downhill, even from its bad start! Oh dear [Frown]

I actually quite liked flashforward, but I was expecting American style series for that I guess. I was disappointed they never finished it as I NEED To know what the heck was going on! When they make shows like that do they genuinely not decide what is going on until afterwards?!

*Sigh* for lack of decent Torchwood. I'm not too keen on this series of doctor who at all either so hoping it might improve in the Autumn. There's just nothing on tv I like anymore [Frown]

The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doctor Who is back on BBC1 on the 27th August!

There's a BFI preview screening of "Let's Kill Hitler" in London on 15th August, and I've got a ticket [Yipee]

The trailer looks very exciting! Moffat said in a recent interview that all the current storylines are going to be resolved this series - they're not going to drag them out indefinitely, which is a relief.

I'm not that taken with Miracle Day so far. I'm going to stick with it a bit longer because I'm covering it for Impossible Podcasts, but I'm not sure I'd keep watching otherwise. The trailer for episode 5 promises some answers about the Miracle, which could be make or break time for me...

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Emma Louise, I didn't realise they never finished Flashforward. What a way to treat an audience. I shan't bother watching my recordings then.

Penny

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

Having just re-watched The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon, I was struck by the Silents telling Amy that the Doctor would 'bring the Silence, and that Silence would fall'. I put the subtitles on, and that is definitely how it was spelt. Interesting, or am I reading too much into it? I kept looking for evidence of flesh Doctor and Amy, too...Amy is noticably plumper in the first episodes. I'm going to check out if she stays that way, or returns to super-skinny 'normal'.

[ 02. August 2011, 07:24: Message edited by: Athrawes ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
*Sigh* for lack of decent Torchwood. I'm not too keen on this series of doctor who at all either so hoping it might improve in the Autumn. There's just nothing on tv I like anymore [Frown]

No. I'm holding out for the return of Sherlock (the Cumberbatch and Freeman version) but do find myself thinking that I seem to be paying rather a lot in TV licence fee for very little return.
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Emma Louise, I didn't realise they never finished Flashforward. What a way to treat an audience. I shan't bother watching my recordings then.

Penny

I dropped Flashforward after about 3 episodes: was the phenomenon ever explained? Who was responsible, and why?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

As far as I can recall it was a secretive organisation led by one individual, and it generated the whateveritwas field from structures out in Ethiopia. The hobbit actor had been enticed into involvement and given a magic ring which kept him from being affected by the event, and he was picked up leaving a baseball stadium where it was necessary for him to be for the thing to work. There had been a lot of violence and torture by the time I stopped watching, and puzzles about who knew what. As for the why, who knows.

Penny

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Are we allowed to discuss the trailer, or would that be too spoilery for those who haven't watched it? Here goes
(*spoiler alert*)
To start with, there are an awful lot of "monsters", aren't there? And the business with the hotel corridor looks distinctly scary. And at least three people with an eye-patch over their right eye. And just how cool is it (about 37 seconds in) that Rory gets to throw that punch?
(*spoilers gone*)

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016