homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Silence will fall - the Doctor Who thread returns (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Silence will fall - the Doctor Who thread returns
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
To start with, there are an awful lot of "monsters", aren't there? And the business with the hotel corridor looks distinctly scary. And at least three people with an eye-patch over their right eye. And just how cool is it (about 37 seconds in) that Rory gets to throw that punch?

It's not going to be a serious study of the man's character like Downfall, is it? Possibly palling around with Richard Nixon was there to soften us up.

Who was the third person with the eye-patch? Are we supposed to think that numbers one and two are the same person?

The lots of monsters is probably just the effect of putting six episodes worth into a couple of seconds. It looks like Silence Will Fall was not put to bed at the end of episode Two, so we might actually get some proper answers for last season. I hope that if we see Weeping Angels again they actually 'weep'.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also in the trailer there is ...

(spoilers)

... an epitaph to the Doctor who died at Lake Silencio, Utah (though it looks like Lake Powell to me, Lake Silencio not being a real place as far as I am aware) dated to the day the episode where he was "killed" went out.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*sigh*

Spoilers already, with the Doctor's return still weeks away. I think I'm going to have to decide to either watch the trailer or shun human (or at least Whovian) contact for a while.

As for Torchwood, I actually thought ep3 was a lot better. There's still a fair bit of clunkiness, but there's finally some plot and early signs of people analysing what's going on rather than vaguely thinking it's a bit strange. Mind you, my hopes weren't high and I wasn't paying as much attention as a result, so it might just be that it wasn't quite as obviously bad as I expected.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Revolutionist:
Moffat said in a recent interview that all the current storylines are going to be resolved this series - they're not going to drag them out indefinitely, which is a relief.

Well, he has to resolve them, doesn't he? After all, the Doctor is going to be dead at the end. That will wrap up the series so that we can move on to next year's Exciting New Series "It's All About Amy!" in which an irritating redheaded Kiss-o-gram saves the Universe by simply remembering how nice things used to be.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe the lake name change is supposed to be a result of the events.

Penny

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Non-spoilery bit:

I'm seeing the date of 27 August being gossiped around a lot. Can anyone confirm this as the start of the half-season?
Spoilery bit:
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Who was the third person with the eye-patch? Are we supposed to think that numbers one and two are the same person?

The third one is the bloke who looks like a Norse god, playing chess. I'm not sure about numbers one and two being the same person, but I guess it's fairly certain that eyepatches become significant.

[geek] There's a story about the filming of the Pertwee story Inferno. Nicholas Courtney had to play both the Brigadier and the Brigade Leader, his alter ego in a parallel universe. The Brigade Leader wore an eyepatch, and was first seen turning round in his chair to face the camera. When it came to filming the scene, Courtney turned round as planned ... only to see the rest of the cast all wearing eyepatches as a practical joke, to try and make him 'corpse'. But Courtney, the coolest of professionals, carried on with the scene without a flicker while everyone around him dissolved in giggles. [/geek]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Torchwood's never really been the same since Ianto and Owen died, anyway.

Owen (aka Burn Gorman) has just died again, as a spy/assassin in The Hour. You'd think he'd look for a better casting director next time.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, 27th August was confirmed at ComicCon. It's on the BBC America website, though oddly not on the official UK site, but that's because UK schedules don't get officially announced as far in advance as US schedules for some reason, but the UK date is pretty certain to be the same.

By the way, a trailer is publicity rather than spoilers, surely?

[ 03. August 2011, 21:16: Message edited by: The Revolutionist ]

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Revolutionist:
By the way, a trailer is publicity rather than spoilers, surely?

I know, it's just that I'm a nice person. [Big Grin] Thanks for the date confirmation.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's during Greenbelt. That's just mean.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suspect the eyepatches of being a viewing device, like the sort of thing that projects onto windscreens. Probably viewing what an avatar is doing when looking at the original.

Penny

[ 04. August 2011, 14:34: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Surely if its during Greenbelt - then there will be enough geeks there to arrange a viewing somewhere?!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The third one is the bloke who looks like a Norse god, playing chess. I'm not sure about numbers one and two being the same person, but I guess it's fairly certain that eyepatches become significant.

Unless it is all a set up for a joke: The Doctor comments on the prevalence of eyepatches and one of the characters says, deadpan, "Eyepatches are cool." Or some gag about "an eye for an eye" and/or "in the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

But all of that is just me being grumbly. I don't really have any faith that Moffat has planned all this out properly. Last season's cop-out that Amy could restore people back to life simply by remembering that they once existed was just so bad that I have a deep fear that this season will have a similar "clap to keep Tinkerbell alive" conclusion.

All that being said, I rather like Penny S's eyepatch theory.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Emma Louise, I didn't realise they never finished Flashforward. What a way to treat an audience. I shan't bother watching my recordings then.

Penny

The last episode ended with what was probably a setup for a second series which isn't going to happen. Everything seemed to happen in a frantic hurry, with some things resolved and others not - lots of questions of the (slight spoiler) 'did whatever-his-name-was (the Joseph Fiennes character) survive or not?' kind. Not particularly satisfying, though it was interesting to see how all the characters came to be more or less in the situations they foresaw.

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Last season's cop-out that Amy could restore people back to life simply by remembering that they once existed was just so bad that I have a deep fear that this season will have a similar "clap to keep Tinkerbell alive" conclusion.

It was more plausible than the conclusions to series One and Three and more emotionally satisfying that the schmaltzfest that was the ending of season Four. (I haven't seen the ending of season Two although I gather it pours on the schmaltz as well.) It was set up as a rule of the cracks that you could get stuff back out of them if you remembered at the end of the Silurian double-bill. It is not a rule of the TARDIS that it can tow planets.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Scientific pedantry alert. It was a hypothesis, not a theory. It might develop into a theory if observation of the developing plotline provides evidence that it is probable.
It's loose use of the theory word that feeds pseudoscientists, and you all know which sort in particular.
Penny

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
It is not a rule of the TARDIS that it can tow planets.

In The Creature from the Pit (1979), the TARDIS pulls a neutron star off its collision course with a planet. Sorry. The trouble with Doctor Who is that it's so big and sprawling that, by now, there's a precedent for practically everything.

Actually, I didn't find last season's resolution very satisfying either. It was frustrating because, with a couple of well-placed bits of technobabble, it could have worked far, far better. Bear in mind, however, that it was at least partly unresolved, because we still don't know what caused the TARDIS to explode, scattering cracks all over space and time. If Moffat's promising us a resolution to all the current plotlines, he's going to have to include that, too. I suppose it's just possible that in doing so, he'll make The Big Bang a bit less messy in retrospect.

I think Moffat does have some serious problems with story arcs, the "shape" of individual episodes, and so on. But even when he does, Doctor Who is still the best popular drama show around. And Matt Smith ... well, he's just glorious. An amazing actor.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Scientific pedantry alert. It was a hypothesis, not a theory. It might develop into a theory if observation of the developing plotline provides evidence that it is probable.
It's loose use of the theory word that feeds pseudoscientists, and you all know which sort in particular.
Penny

I'm apologizing.

Dafyd: They ALL pour on the schmaltz. It appears to be the Curse of New Doctor Who that you have to have schmaltz.

Adeodatus: Agreed about Matt Smith. When I first saw him I didn't like him, but re-watching the episodes I am deeply impressed at just how subtle an actor he is. As you say, amazing.

--------------------

The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought "The Big Bang", the ending to series 5 was quite well-worked out - all the technobabble to make sense of it and enough explanations to plug the apparent plot holes are present and correct, it just rushes through some of them a bit. So the sci-fi logic just about holds together, and as a fairy-tale it's very nice, especially the "Something old, something new..." resolution.

My main problem with that episode was that large chunks of it were predestination paradoxes - that is, the Doctor simply did what he did because his future self had already done it. It isn't until the Doctor decides to fly the Pandorica into the heart of the exploding TARDIS that he makes a meaningful decision. The plot is folded together like fine origami, but it doesn't leave much room for the characters to make choices.

In other news, Torchwood seemed to hang together a bit better last night, I thought. It was still very silly - the Charley's Angels style heist, for example - but it seemed to have a bit more of a sense of purpose. The stuff about "this is always how the West has treated its unwanted" was very unsubtle, but at least it's trying to say something meaningful. My podcast commentary is online at Impossible Podcasts.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
In The Creature from the Pit (1979), the TARDIS pulls a neutron star off its collision course with a planet. Sorry. The trouble with Doctor Who is that it's so big and sprawling that, by now, there's a precedent for practically everything.

I gather that The Creature from the Pit is not one of those stories that is held up as an example of the classic series at its best.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Last season's cop-out that Amy could restore people back to life simply by remembering that they once existed was just so bad that I have a deep fear that this season will have a similar "clap to keep Tinkerbell alive" conclusion.

Have you forgotten Floaty Tinkerbell Jesus Doctor already?

(I shake my head at all the crazy stuff in that episode and just enjoy John Simm being bonkers.)

i enjoyed last night's Torchwood a lot more. Not just because of Jack in the delivery boy uniform either...

OK, the 'getting into the building' brought up the same objection as it did in the Mission Impossible movie - don't these places have CCTV? But at least Jack didn't have to dangle on wire.

Not sure about Gwen's Karen Walker-style disguise though.

Danes' Messianic affectations were nicely creepy, and the 'segregation' stuff, although overdone (Look, we'll show you a picture of a black guy while people talk about segregating society!) was rather chilling too.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
GillH posted: Have you forgotten Floaty Tinkerbell Jesus Doctor already?
You know adults may have snickered but my kids found that much more satisfying for whatever reason than the pandorica reboot.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
I gather that The Creature from the Pit is not one of those stories that is held up as an example of the classic series at its best.

Not at its best, no. But not at its worse, either. There was some delightful dialogue throughout. ("Like most stars, it lacks a guidance system.") The story's main claim to fame, though, is the Rather Unfortunate realization of the Creature--and its, ummm, protuberance.

Gill H, I did recall the Tinkerbell Doctor after posting. That was pretty bad, too. As was the next season's "Let's reach the Doctor by having every phone on Earth call the same number yet somehow avoid getting the world's largest busy signal."

It says something when, in retrospect, "Rose cracks open the TARDIS and inhales the time vortex in order to wipe out a single Dalek fleet" now seems like a perfectly reasonable solution.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought I'd set my recorder to take Torchwood - until I settled down to watch this evening.

Bummer. I hope it is repeated soon.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
I hope it is repeated soon.

It's being shown again late on Monday evenings. I've been watching The Killing (US version) on Channel 4 during the Thursday evening slot, so Monday is when I've been watching.
I gather I got rather more of the sex scenes last week than those who watched on Thursday.

[ 05. August 2011, 22:43: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thursday torchwood is edited?! There's *MORE* sex in the original...? More violence too? Not sure I'd watch it but I'm curious what I've missed!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

My attempt to rewatch the current Dr series to pick up any passing clues failed at the outset as the recorder did not think the new series was part of the last series, and the series record option did not work. Drat.
Penny

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Am I the only one who, when Jack was disguised as the delivery guy, was expecting him to whip out his false teeth and suddenly declare "I'm John Barrowman from BBC1's Tonight's The Night and I'm here to make your dreams come true!"

No? Just me who's watching trashy telly on a Saturday night then...

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just watched last week's episode and I'm about ready to give up on it. I've said that about Torchwood before but mostly it's been down to ludicrous plots that RTD has let run away with themselves (undead Owen for example) or the routine addition of sexual scenes for no apparent reason other than poking the successors to Mrs Whitehouse in the eye. Both are evident in the latest offering but I suppose I'm getting used to it.

Now though he's added abject stupidity to the attributes of all the main characters. If I'd let the kids watch it, they'd have been saying "Oh come on, nobody's that thick."

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

quote:
Just watched last week's episode and I'm about ready to give up on it. I've said that about Torchwood before but mostly it's been down to ludicrous plots that RTD has let run away with themselves (undead Owen for example) or the routine addition of sexual scenes for no apparent reason other than poking the successors to Mrs Whitehouse in the eye. Both are evident in the latest offering but I suppose I'm getting used to it.
I've seen the next episode, and I think it's worth giving it one last chance, because things start to really happen in it. There are still some silly moments (none of the characters really seems to behave as if they're on the run) but it really begins to kick off story-wise. I've a spoiler free review here.
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, that was dark and rather horrible.
I've kind of gone from 'well it's Torchwood, I've got to watch it' to 'Right, I need to know who is doing this horrible thing and make sure they get their just deserts.'
It bloody well better have a satisfying ending.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Ooh noo ... I'm two episodes behind on Torchwood now. Must watch, must watch ...

Is it going to be finished before 27 August, when Doctor Who is due to restart?

--------------------

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Torchwood finally got quite exciting last night. Nightmare stuff at times.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Far too exciting, bet I'm going to have weird nightmares tonight after that episode.

I'd forgotten how much darker Torchwood was than the Doctor when it came to lingering on the horror moments. Looking forward to the ending - how many more parts are there?

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

That was episode 5 of 10, so we've just reached the half-way point. Which means that Doctor Who and Torchwood will overlap for several weeks (which is a bit annoying for me, since I don't really have time to do weekly podcast commentaries on both shows, so Torchwood will probably be getting the shove once Doctor Who returns!)

Only two days until I see 'Let's Kill Hitler' - I've got tickets to the BFI screening in London! [Yipee] I'll write up a spoiler-free review as soon as I get chance.

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm pretty sure that weird nightmare I had last night was Torchwood-induced. [Ultra confused]

I want to know what happens to Vera. Is she really gone? She was the only non-braindead person in the incinerator. Can she come back like Jack did after the explosion? Can she come back as sentient dust?

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

OK, I caught up with Torchwood. The last episode really moved up a gear - but was it an episode too late? The pace is really quite slow, and I'm surprised to discover there are another five to go. Can you really sustain a thriller/drama over ten hours? (Which makes me think, are they trying to turn it into a sort of 24? Cos if that's what it is, I don't think they're succeeding.)

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I watched one of my recordings, and found it really nasty at one point - the car crusher bit. This was the sort of thing that stopped me watching X-Files. I don't want stuff like this in my mind.

Penny

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So I spent some of yesterday catching up as I seemed to be hearing it might be getting better.

And it is ...sort of.

It does feel stretched out - like they had the idea, did the deal and it was for 10 episodes and then had to make it fit.

I remember feeling somewhat like that with the much better Children of Earth, I said:

quote:
Not sure I agree about "no padding". It certainly zipped along and you didn't get bored but how many of the chases/fights are really integral to the plot. Did Jack really need to be captured/rescued? I suspect once the week's up we'll find the story would condense down quite happily to a single hour or two.

Not that that's such a bad thing per se - the 'padding' is watchable.

Now we have a similar problem, except that the padding is less watchable.

The thing that frustrates me is that there are some good ideas in there but they're not executed as well as they need to be. Some of the dialogue is terrible. And there's a lot shouting standing in for genuine tension and conflict between the characters - Rex is particularly bad for this.

But... I'm half-way through now and I do want to see how it ends.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

quote:
I watched one of my recordings, and found it really nasty at one point - the car crusher bit. This was the sort of thing that stopped me watching X-Files. I don't want stuff like this in my mind.

Penny

There was another similar rather horrid "dying alive" moment on Thursday. I think they're trying to put one in each episode or something?!
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Urgh. Thanks for this. Sounds like it's really turned into a totally different programme - and definitely not one I want to see.

[ 14. August 2011, 13:18: Message edited by: Ariel ]

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I saw the first Torchwood episode and part of the second but didn't manage to get back from work in time for the next couple. So yesterday went back to the begining and rewatched it all so far from the start in two chunks.

Its actually rather better when seen like that. Especially if you pop into the kitchen to get some munchies during the credits and you skip the previouslies and next-weeks. Which I suppose are there to pad out the time that US channels would show ads in. So a 45-minute programme - which in the nature of things only has at the most 35-40 minutes of plot development of action - takes a 60 minute slot. Which means the five episodes sp far are 200 minutes of TV stretched to 300 minutes.

Some of the to-ing and fro-ing seems to be done just because they can almost as if they said "Hey, we're taking a crew to Swansea next month, lets find an excuse to get all the cast there - write me another five scenes!" But taken as a whole the first five episodes do have some movement and genuine excitement. And I am looking forward to the next one.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I can't keep away...

So I've noticed a huge NASA sized plot hole. NASA sized, because that is the size of the we didn't go to the Moon conspiracy that didn't leak. Thousands of people who would have known and have never said anything. That plot didn't leak because it wasn't there.

The set up of camps has people who know what the rules are, and can quote them at the Dr, and at Gwen, people who have done the work to set them up and know what is going on, and have never questioned anything, never felt the urge to leak, never been murdered to prevent it. The plot would have leaked. It is too big, and just could not have happened.

I hate it when a plot wouldn't have worked.

Penny

[ 14. August 2011, 19:06: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I just watched episode 6 and the pace has stalled again.

There are a couple of tidbits of new info and forward movement in the plot, but there are also scenes of SHOCK, HORROR, REVELATION... of stuff we already know!

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

I just got back from the BFI screening of Doctor Who "Let's Kill Hitler", which was great fun - one of the funniest episodes in a long time, with a show-stealing performance from Alex Kingston.

You can listen to my review at Impossible Podcasts or read my 10 spoiler-free teasers. (I mention a few minor details of the set-up for the plot, so if you want to stay completely "pure" you might want to avoid completely).

Anyhow, I can't wait to see it again on TV and be able to discuss it with people. There are some great surprises in store!

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I saw the prequel to Let's Kill Hitler on the official website - it was just an answerphone message from Amy to the Doctor, and the Doctor's silent reaction to her imploring him to save her baby, but it very nearly made me cry.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
episode 6 - filler

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
swllwmzn
Shipmate
# 12945

- Posted      Profile for swllwmzn   Email swllwmzn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
episode 6 - filler

Really? I thought it was a good episode - still some irritating longuers and I reckon they could have got the series down to 6 episodes at the most. But otherwise I really enjoyed it.
Posts: 96 | From: Budleigh Babberton | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Too much ewww, nothing new. But nice to see a bit more Rhys. I like Rhys.

Oh, and is everyone who works in the US camp required to be both racist and gay (interesting combination...)? There are at least 3 men setting off my gaydar there. Including Mr Hooded Claw Soundalike and his over-dramatic sidekick.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Hmmm. I thought it was the worst one so far. Didn't really do anything and unnecessary gory (still think they have to kill/torture one person each week).

Problem is I'm rubbish at stopping half way. I do hope Dr who is better this series I'm getting so bored of tv and I only watch a couple of things a week!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016