homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Silence will fall - the Doctor Who thread returns (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Silence will fall - the Doctor Who thread returns
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The scariest Who since the first weeping angel episode**. It is still scary after watching confidential and then re-watching. I loved the quicksand carpet. I think the creepiness comes from seeing things we take for granted (Angels, dolls, shop dummies) used in a sinister way.

I don't care that there are plot holes. So what? In the whoniverse you can contradict yourself. In the classic series the Doctor was revealed to be half human, a regeneration later and he's 100% alien.

Back to this week: Inside the dolls' house all the things were either items you'd expect to find there, including dolls, or things George had sent there. With one exception, the giant glass eye.

One one level you could say it was something that George was scared of and had sent there. But why was it shown? It served no purpose in plot development, I can only think that its significance is something to do with the story arc. LRP thinks the eye is something to do with eyepatch lady.

** In the Whoniverse only Torchwood fairies are scarier.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
The story has a boy born with practically unlimited reality altering powers who uses them to bury anyone who displeases him under the wheat field/ corn field (because everybody has been too afraid to teach him not to). The small town exists in a pocket universe, either because the child put it there when he was born or because he destroyed everywhere else.

As others said that one's "Its a good life". A stunning story. I first read it in Edmund Crispin's "Best SF 4" anthology (published by Faber's) which must be one of the best and also scariest anthologies every collected.

As well at that story there are "The Short Life" (Francis Donovan), "A Subway Named Mobius" (A. J. Deutsch), "Flowers for Algernon" (Daniel Keyes), "The Yellow Pill" (Rog Phillips) - after which The Matrix holds no surprises,
and four or five others, all good. Brilliant.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amazed this has been so well recieved by Shipmates. I found it very dull - over used monsters, repetitive ending, and yet another new alien race thrown away without anything interesting happening. Same old, same old, I'm afraid.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, phil2357, wilson, and ken.
I must have read the story over twenty years ago.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Originally posted by Balaam:

quote:
Back to this week: Inside the dolls' house all the things were either items you'd expect to find there, including dolls, or things George had sent there. With one exception, the giant glass eye.

I thought that a doll's eye was exactly the sort of thing that might get put in a drawer in a doll's house, and regarded it as just another thing telling you that it was a doll's house.

I hadn't thought of a possible eye-patch connection.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Originally posted by Balaam:

quote:

I thought that a doll's eye was exactly the sort of thing that might get put in a drawer in a doll's house, and regarded it as just another thing telling you that it was a doll's house.

I hadn't thought of a possible eye-patch connection.

M.

I viewed it as something to scare Amy, who had kept seeing single eyes everywhere. And yes, a glass eye - or dolls eyes - could have been put by George in there.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mrs B and I liked it: a discrete story (no intrusive series arc to struggle with, monsters drawn from primal fears, a moving ending etc.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Miniaturised people two episodes running.

I hadn't thought about the eye, but it reminds me of the eyes in the wall in the Flesh monastery.

Penny

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I obviously need to watch it again - I must have missed something, because it didn't scare me in the slightest.

I was annoyed almost from the outset by the parents - what kind of idiot tries to allay a child's fears by putting all the scary things in a cupboard - in the child's room??

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wondered about a Narnia reference.

Penny

The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

Penny

There are rumours going around that this year's Doctor Who Christmas special (which is just beginning filming) will be somehow Narnia-themed or flavoured. There was a lovely comic strip in Doctor Who Magazine that featured C S Lewis last year, I think, so I wonder if it'll be based on or similar to that.
Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by wilson:
On arcs I was speaking generally that they aren't per se a bad thing. I think I agree that overall Dr Who hasn't done them particularly well.

A shortcoming it shares with other shows...

The problem is it is (relatively) easy to do a show that is purely episodic like early Star Trek (original and TNG, which had some character continuity, but each story could stand perfectly well on its own), or one that is primarily arc-driven (like Babylon 5 in the 90s, which was essentially a continuous visual novel with occasional stand-alone chapters).

Mixing the two successfully, however, is very difficult, and I think Who is making a decent job of trying, even though there are obvious problems (mentioned at various points in this thread).

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by The Revolutionist:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

Penny

There are rumours going around that this year's Doctor Who Christmas special (which is just beginning filming) will be somehow Narnia-themed or flavoured. There was a lovely comic strip in Doctor Who Magazine that featured C S Lewis last year, I think, so I wonder if it'll be based on or similar to that.
Didn't see that, but would like to. However, given the current series' attitude to religion, it would be interesting to see how Moffat would use Narnia. There wasn't anything good in there with the Hunca Munca doll's house.

Penny

Twangist
Shipmate
# 16208

- Posted      Profile for Twangist   Author's homepage   Email Twangist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Eldest Twanglet said "That's the scariest one ever. I'm not going to watch it again on the i-Player ... end of."

Mrs T and I were in stiches.

It did look very much like Hunca-Munca's house didn't it?

--------------------
JJ
SDG
blog

Posts: 604 | From: Devon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here, they had a bogus monster special with annoying and unknown US actors. It was unwatchable. We went to a Doctor Who museum at Land's End a few years ago and saw flying Daleks. It was awesome. The last programme I saw was about Hitler and the last war: pretty scary!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
The problem is it is (relatively) easy to do a show that is purely episodic like early Star Trek (original and TNG...

I went to high school with Michael Dorn who plays Warf, but I rarely watch the re-runs.

I wonder how close the Doctor Who episodes we get here are to the original BBC timelines.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree about the latest episode being enjoyable and stand-alone, my whole family's been finding it hard to get their heads round the intricacies and weirdness of the main storyline. And I find someone of River Song's age kissing the Doctor and calling Amy "mother" thoroughly squicks me.

None of us was particularly scared by it, apart from Mr Nen who sat making various freaked-out noises and at one point talked of getting behind the sofa - which is, of course, the place from which Dr Who should be watched anyway. [Biased]

I was enjoying Torchwood but had to stop a couple of episodes ago as the violence got to me. I've heard about subsequent episodes and would like to have seen Captain Jack in flagrante but just can't risk seeing the violence. [Eek!]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
squicks

[Eek!] [Confused] [Smile]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Enjoyed this. Way better than Fear Her despite similar ideas.

Mind Robber was mentioned upthread - the soldier in the dolls' house reminded me of that one.

The dad was great. So different from his role in Ashes to Ashes.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Enjoyed this. Way better than Fear Her despite similar ideas.

Mind Robber was mentioned upthread - the soldier in the dolls' house reminded me of that one.

The dad was great. So different from his role in Ashes to Ashes.

Actually, what reminded me of The Mind Robber was the "next time" trailer - the blank white wasteland, the white robots ...

(I'm a big fan of The Mind Robber. It's terribly postmodern, y'know. Its main problems are that it's a four-parter stretched out to five at short notice, because of a gap in the schedules, iirc. And the faffing around with Jamie's identity because of Fraser Hines's sick leave. If you can persuade yourself to think of it as a four-part story without that faffing around, it's really rather good.)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like The Mind Robber too. When it was mentioned on this thread earlier I checked it on Amazon and yelled 'Oh, it's that one!' as I remembered it from the first time round, and always wanted to see it again. I particularly remembered the big book and Rapunzel.

I agree with others that this week's ep's ending was too rushed, and the idea of putting scary things in the cupboard! just freaked me. But it's still one of the best programmes on TV, even when it's irritating.

eta: blimey, it's Thursday already - last week's ep. Oh well, Torchwood tonight.

[ 08. September 2011, 10:29: Message edited by: Pine Marten ]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
squicks

Good word, isn't it? A combination of "squirm" and "ick!" [Smile]

--------------------

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
squicks

Sort of... but if you don't know what it is, don't look up 'squicking' on the net. And certainly not at work, near children, or if you're squeamish.
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eeeuuwww - that is so gross...
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I knew I recognised the dad, but I couldn't think where I'd seen him! So it's DI Keating from Ashes to Ashes!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Speaking of squick what did you all make of The Blessing?
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do hope that the final answer isn't just to chuck Captain Jack's blood at that thing.

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
me too. Shall find out tonight!
Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
More from the Dr Who Monster Book of Fun Quotes:

"One thing I can tell you, Alex, monsters are real"

"You're not from Social Services are you?"

"First things first - you got any Jammy Dodgers?"

Inside the Doll's House - excellent, really scary concept.

Pond useless as usual.EXTAMYNATE!!

(Nothing has been, or will ever be, better than *Human Nature* imo).

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I do hope that the final answer isn't just to chuck Captain Jack's blood at that thing.

What on earth was it supposed to be? I know I was watching on a rather small screen TV but all I could see was a big red wall.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

And how's it supposed to go all the way through, anyway - doesn't this planet have a molten core?

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I've just watched the final episode of Torchwood. Turns out that despite looking like what the AV Club describes as a "malevolent immortality vagina" The Blessing is actually supposed to be made of rock.

I don't want to spoil anyone who's yet to watch it so I'll just say this. If you've been disappointed at this series of Torchwood and hoped that it would raise its game for the final episode then I think you'll be disappointed again. It had the same muddled tone, the same sense of good ideas insufficiently explored, or not developed in a satisfying way.

I also think that some of the drama depends on us having become convinced that Miracle Day overall was a bad thing and needs to be reversed. I'm not sure they quite convinced me on that.

[ 10. September 2011, 17:42: Message edited by: wilson ]

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just wanted to get in first...

What a bloody good episode!

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Superb. Absolutely superb. Stylish design, intelligent camerawork, and kick-ass performances. After nearly 48 years, Doctor Who can still surprise, move, and delight.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was good. It was indeed very good.

It wouldn't be a Doctor Who thread without some niggles, but did I miss any of the characters alluding to Rory's two thousand years as a Roman? (Something even more similar happened to Rory in The Doctor's Wife, but that was in Amy's head.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Now that's more like it. Great writing with some really thought provoking stuff. Terrific performances from everyone, Karen G may not be everyone's cup of tea but she certainly pulled out all the stops here.

It seems to me that in the non-story-arc episodes (i.e. not the ones with River Song) it is all becoming more and more about Rory and Amy and the Doctor is becoming sidelined. (And why not? for a while anyway).

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
quote:
quote:
quote:
squicks

Sort of... but if you don't know what it is, don't look up 'squicking' on the net. And certainly not at work, near children, or if you're squeamish.
So I should have said "creeps me out" to avoid ambiguity. Sorry. [Smile]

Tonight's episode was an absolute corker; great stuff. [Big Grin] We enjoyed Confidential too.

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
It wouldn't be a Doctor Who thread without some niggles, but did I miss any of the characters alluding to Rory's two thousand years as a Roman? (Something even more similar happened to Rory in The Doctor's Wife, but that was in Amy's head.)

No you didn't but it should have been there.

"36 years? You call that a lifetime? Well excuse me! Try 60 times that!"

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I went to high school with Michael Dorn who plays Warf...

[Overused]
(apologies for slow reaction - have been off-line for a while...)

quote:
I wonder how close the Doctor Who episodes we get here are to the original BBC timelines.
Do you mean the broadcasting order? Where can I see the US schedules to compare?
Alternatively, the UK ones are on the BBC website.

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

The best epidode in a long time.

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
...it is all becoming more and more about Rory and Amy and the Doctor is becoming sidelined. (And why not? for a while anyway).

I had hoped they would get married and stay companions long before it was even likely that it would happen.

This is one of the reasons why.
[Yipee]

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm really torn on tonight's DW. Some of the acting and the emotional tweaky bits were done very well. But ... the setup. I mean, FFS. Normal people would not have behaved like that, let alone people who are now used to just how drastic a visit from the cock-up fairy can be. Even Joe Average, having seen two buttons of distinct colour, and pressed one, when asked by their companion what to do, would respond "Press the <colour> button".

Even if they didn't, any normal human being faced with "Press the button" and looking at two buttons would say "Which one?". I've worked with some staggeringly daft people at times, and none of them would have gone through the opening sequence in the way Rory & Amy had to in order to set up the "split up the party" scenario.

That was such a huge CLANG! that it took me a long while to work up to giving a monkey's about the story afterwards.

Add to that: all the bleating about 36 years, compared to Rory's hanging around for two millenia; abandoned Amy who's normally useless other than when acting on instinctive impulse somehow working out how to do all the superhero stuff, including constructing her sonic 'probe'; Amy whose whole history with the Doctor is based on his "in a minute" returns being epic cock-ups and delays getting the grumps about it all; the decidedly relative-ethics version of the Doctor ... only the very well acted bits on loss, love and choice pulled it back from being a throwing cushions at the TV job.

It felt like an episode designed to say, Hey folks, look, Amy isn't useless, she's suddenly pulled all this really cool survival stuff out of thin air. And look, she's got this deep emotional centre, and she really does love Rory, so you know, cut her some slack and like her. I'm not entirely sure it worked.

OTOH, if they're trying to set up a harder, colder, more sinister Doctor, that they're starting to do.

[Edited for the worst of the typos and grammar]

[ 10. September 2011, 21:12: Message edited by: Snags ]

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I find dolls/puppets/ventriloquists' dummies that become animated much more scary than monsters and aliens,

Forgot to mention clowns!

Looking forward to next week's episode in a transfixed in terror sort of way.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And they were toying with the idea of two of Amy, one of whom was going to be a lot like River Song. Duplicates again. It was odd not to mention Rory's long wait, though his experience must have been different, as he was not getting older. I didn't notice that.

Penny

The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Superb. Absolutely superb. Stylish design, intelligent camerawork, and kick-ass performances. After nearly 48 years, Doctor Who can still surprise, move, and delight.

Agreed! A great episode, although a bleak one - it really makes you feel for Old Amy, and it doesn't pull its punches with the choice that Rory must make. It packs a real emotional punch, but that makes it in some ways more an episode to admire than enjoy. There is in fact lots to enjoy, of course - cracking performances from Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill, sharp dialogue (the line about Christmas dinner was great!) and it looks great as usual.

This episode could be called "Rory's Choice". Whereas Amy had to choose between Rory and the Doctor, it's entirely appropriate that Rory should face the choice between two versions of Amy - for him, it's only ever been about Amy. Like the white-faced robots who would kill Amy with their kindness, it's Rory's kindness to Old Amy that risks killing the Amy he knows. It also reinforces the danger of travelling with the Doctor - he might mean well, but he makes mistakes, and Old Amy's experiences show how costly they can be for those around him.

Questions of identity once again abound: are you the same person after 36 years? For Old Amy, having her timeline rewritten seems like death - the Amy she has become will no longer exist, or ever have existed. It also foreshadows the Doctor's death at Lake Silencio much more subtly than dropping in shots of the details of his death on the TARDIS monitor screen, echoing his problem thematically instead. Will the Doctor tear up the rule book to escape his fate, like Amy? If he does, what will the consequences be for the universe?

Tom MacRae's writing already graced our screens with Rise of the Cybermen. That story was fine, but much more of a conventional monster story. Here he shows he's got the writing muscle to pull off an intense and character-focused piece of drama with skill and wit. It's the best episode of the autumn run so far, and to my mind one of the best of series 6 as a whole.

I've been waiting a long time for an episode that would really show us how much Amy cares for Rory, underneath all her bluster and banter. Like the Doctor and Rory coming to the rescue after 36 years, The Girl Who Waited was worth waiting for.

You can hear my podcast discussion of the episode over at Impossible Podcasts.

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
I'm really torn on tonight's DW. Some of the acting and the emotional tweaky bits were done very well. But ... the setup. I mean, FFS. Normal people would not have behaved like that, let alone people who are now used to just how drastic a visit from the cock-up fairy can be. Even Joe Average, having seen two buttons of distinct colour, and pressed one, when asked by their companion what to do, would respond "Press the <colour> button".

Even if they didn't, any normal human being faced with "Press the button" and looking at two buttons would say "Which one?". I've worked with some staggeringly daft people at times, and none of them would have gone through the opening sequence in the way Rory & Amy had to in order to set up the "split up the party" scenario.

That was such a huge CLANG! that it took me a long while to work up to giving a monkey's about the story afterwards.

Add to that: all the bleating about 36 years, compared to Rory's hanging around for two millenia; abandoned Amy who's normally useless other than when acting on instinctive impulse somehow working out how to do all the superhero stuff, including constructing her sonic 'probe'; Amy whose whole history with the Doctor is based on his "in a minute" returns being epic cock-ups and delays getting the grumps about it all; the decidedly relative-ethics version of the Doctor ... only the very well acted bits on loss, love and choice pulled it back from being a throwing cushions at the TV job.

It felt like an episode designed to say, Hey folks, look, Amy isn't useless, she's suddenly pulled all this really cool survival stuff out of thin air. And look, she's got this deep emotional centre, and she really does love Rory, so you know, cut her some slack and like her. I'm not entirely sure it worked.

OTOH, if they're trying to set up a harder, colder, more sinister Doctor, that they're starting to do.

[Edited for the worst of the typos and grammar]

You have to remember Amy's an Idiot

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another very dull episode, I'm afraid. It might have worked a bit if I'd cared at all about Amy - but since I was hoping she would die in childbirth it didn't. And Old Amy's reluctance to help didn't convince me at all. If I could go back 10 years, or 36, to correct something that made me miserable now, I would do it at once. And if my miserable existence evaporated because a happier one came into being - wey hay! What is the problem? The only thing that impressed me was the make up on Old Amy, which was very effective.

On a wider front I have been hearing interesting rumours about the problems besetting this series. According to the rumours (and I have no idea if these are true or not) it wasn't originally planned to be in two halves. But early on two key people in production got sacked, and the whole thing began to fall apart. It was massively behind schedule, and way over budget, so the decision was taken to air what had been made. As a result we were shown 7 episodes out of order - the series was meant to end with the baby being kidnapped, and the search for it would have been the story behind the next series. In addition, there's been a lot less money to throw around, as Matt and Karen have failed to impress the viewing public. Their DVDs have only sold a fraction of what Eccleston and Tennant did, so there has been far less money coming in that was anticipated. Hence you get minimalist epsiodes, like tonight's.

As I said, this is simply what I've heard when chatting to other fans. Anyone here have any thoughts about how (un)likely any of it is?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

oh god i need a bacon sandwich

--------------------

The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

quote:
On a wider front I have been hearing interesting rumours about the problems besetting this series. According to the rumours (and I have no idea if these are true or not) it wasn't originally planned to be in two halves. But early on two key people in production got sacked, and the whole thing began to fall apart. It was massively behind schedule, and way over budget, so the decision was taken to air what had been made. As a result we were shown 7 episodes out of order - the series was meant to end with the baby being kidnapped, and the search for it would have been the story behind the next series. In addition, there's been a lot less money to throw around, as Matt and Karen have failed to impress the viewing public. Their DVDs have only sold a fraction of what Eccleston and Tennant did, so there has been far less money coming in that was anticipated. Hence you get minimalist epsiodes, like tonight's.

As I said, this is simply what I've heard when chatting to other fans. Anyone here have any thoughts about how (un)likely any of it is?

That's pretty much got no resemblance to reality - most of this sounds like it originates in some rumours published in Private Eye a month or two ago, only even more exaggerated and distorted.

There are a couple of elements where the source of the rumour can be identified, but the reality is much more mundane. Firstly, the idea that the series has been reordered and split as an emergency measure due to behind the scenes panics.

In fact, the decision to split the series was mainly based around Steven Moffat's plan to reveal River Song's identity as the mid-series cliffhanger, and was planned as such from the start. There was one change in running order: last week's episode, Night Terrors, was with The Curse of the Black Spot, because the producers decided that it was a better mix visually (they didn't want too many episodes in the dark with torches too close to each other!). They reshot a couple of scenes (the eyepatch woman's appearance, and the Doctor's date of death on the monitor) to fit with the arc, but that's the extent of chopping and changing. The overall structure is just as it has been all along.

Secondly, changes of staff: two of the producers have moved or are about to move on, but they haven't been sacked, and the transition is entirely orderly - outgoing producer Piers Wenger is co-producing the Christmas special with Caroline Skinner, the new exec, to show her the ropes (see this article on the BBC Doctor Who site). Moffat condemned reports in "Private Eye" that producers had been sacked as "nasty, inaccurate rumours".

As for "Matt and Karen have failed to impress the viewing public" - really?! Reviews and reactions have been very positive, especially following a Doctor as phenomenally popular as Tennant. Ratings remain very strong, around 7-8 million in total (though a much higher proportion comes from iPlayer and timeshift rather than overnights compared to when Tennant was the Doctor).

As for budget, even if DVD sales are declining, that has no effect on the production budget of the show. Because the BBC is funded by the license fee, programme-making and commercial activities are separate as part of the BBC's Charter. BBC budgets as a whole are squeezed a bit more tightly at the moment, but each series of "Doctor Who" has had cheaper episodes (though some disguise it more successfully) - last year's The Lodger for example.

So the rumours are a load of rubbish. Some elements might have started out with some grain of truth somewhere in the distant past, but have long since lost any connection to reality.

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A new nadir for NuWho.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by The Revolutionist:
In fact, the decision to split the series was mainly based around Steven Moffat's plan to reveal River Song's identity as the mid-series cliffhanger, and was planned as such from the start.

And, iirc, the idea of moving the show to an autumn timeslot without an almost 18 month gap between series? But you're right, there's no way the show is failing or in trouble. Matt Smith is a very popular Doctor, and I think a lot of people like the Amy-Rory partnership. I must confess to a slight disappointment with Moffat's own writing for the show since he took over, but that's virtually inevitable because the demands on him are very different.

I think there have been some extremely good episodes in the last couple of years - Amy's Choice and Vincent and the Doctor last year; The Doctor's Wife and The Girl who Waited so far this year. But obviously the style of the show is different, even from five years ago. It has to be. I'm also a big fan of large chunks of the "classic" series, but there's no way you could make a tv programme like that now. And I don't just mean the special effects - the pace of the old show is far too slow by modern standards. Every now and then the action would stop for a long, tedious info-dump of explanation about why things were happening the way they were. These days, viewers expect blink-and-you-miss-it explanations, if at all. (Take last night, for example - the Handbots' anaesthetic, and their deadly "kindness" were dealt with in about ten seconds flat.)

Robert Armin, I'd love to ask what, for you, is good Doctor Who? (Ask that on most fan sites and you tend to get very predictable answers. Sine this is the Ship, surprise me!)

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016