homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Silence will fall - the Doctor Who thread returns (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Silence will fall - the Doctor Who thread returns
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
The real thing that needs to be worked out is how brutal Amy has become.

I think it's more 'could have become' - the possible Amy who killed Kovarian isn't exactly the same as the actual Amy. Actual Amy remembers being that person and she's not happy about it.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"A woman!", change that to "A man!", and perhaps it's easier to ask, 'What an earth does the gender of the antagonist have to do with it; why is that the key identifier?'

Likewise: "Hell in high heels". Easier to write off as a smart arse quip, but in context it begs questions:

a. this is supposed to be a family/children's show;

b. who is wearing high heels anyway? I've not noticed anyone teetering across the set (But then maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction).

c. again, what has gender got to do with it?

[Devil]

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to say it is possible there is a bit of female stereotyping in there, but it is funny!
The look on Amy's face when she realised she was the Doctor's mother-in-law made up for any sort of Les Dawson M-I-L jokes.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What I heard was based on things he said on a/his blog, but if I were making an argument, it would be based on only this season, since I've seen little else, and it would be based on the little snide comments that pop up.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I have heard froma Whovian friend that Moffat is known to have misogynistic opinions. I don't know if it is true, but it sure wouuldn't surprise me from this last season.

Are these people who are prepared to overlook the companions' mothers and the treatment of Martha in Davies' run?
Based on River Song and Amy, I might say that Moffat has a limited range of women characters he can write, but then Sally Sparrow didn't fit into that mould. Some of the other complaints boil down to either, Amy is assertive and not a carer-type and that's really unfeminine, how negative of Moffat to depict a woman like that; or are basically stalking horses for I want Davies and Tennant back (because they're overlooking equally if not more troubling aspects of Davies' attitude to women).

I also wonder if New Who is putting in a large dose of strong female characters (good and bad) to fight the traditional perception of Classic Who that women were predominantly meant to just scream at the monsters and be rescued by the Doctor. Classic Who did have some strong female characters--but few enough that they tend to stand out, like Kaftan in Tomb of the Cybermen, Miss Winters in Robot, Queen Xanxia in The Pirate Planet, etc.

Interestingly, and connected to the most recent story, one of these women from the classic series would be Lady Peinforte in Silver Nemesis who not only raised the "Doctor who?" question, but stated that she knew the answer to it (having learned of it from the Nemesis device/statue/being/whatever-it-was). Apparently the Universe did not come to an end because she found out. At least, not so anyone would notice.

And just a side comment to those who urge "it's just a TV series" and "don't overanalyze": yes, some of us do overanalyze and spin conjectures to try to have a more-or-less consistent "universe" of Doctor Who with rules that are followed.

Because it is fun to do and everybody needs a hobby.

But even granting that we do overanalyze and use continuity as a club, that really doesn't excuse the last season. Why? Because even as a surface analysis, it was bad: We start off the season in the first few minutes of the first story seeing the Doctor killed. We are immediately told "this isn't a clone; this is really the Doctor; he is really dead." The entire season arc is constructed around this event and having us wonder how the Doctor can get out of it--and the answer is "We lied. It was never him." That is really lame. Even as a stand-alone story that would have been a weak resolution, but as a payoff for a full season? Pathetic. It reminded me of the infamous Dallas "it was all a dream" season.

But, again, I am willing to forgive a lot because of the Brig reference, and because of the promise that next season will be different and will pull away from the big-scale stuff. If they do that, then as far as I am concerned everything is forgiven.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I also wonder if New Who is putting in a large dose of strong female characters (good and bad) to fight the traditional perception of Classic Who that women were predominantly meant to just scream at the monsters and be rescued by the Doctor.

Actually, early classic Who did have strong female companions. Barbara was perhaps the strongest female companion in the series ever. There are early female companions who scream and act the damsel-in-distress, but they're not part of a pattern. The rot begins with Jo Grant, I think, but only really gets established with Romana, who despite being introduced as the Doctor's superior in some ways, acts like a damsel in distress much more often than necessary. And then the last companion in the old series was Ace, who, although rather brittle, was much more likely to bung high explosive at the monster of the week than scream for the Doctor.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fair point. Barbara really was an extraordinary character. And Sara Kingdom. But I think from Dodo on it deteriorated. Polly? Victoria? And Zoe was like an early Romana problem--designed to be far better than the character actually developed.

Liz can be pointed to as a bit of an exception. And I refuse to hear a word against my Sarah Jane.

<Hedgehog pokes fingers in ears and yells "La La La La La! Can't hear you!">

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Liz can be pointed to as a bit of an exception. And I refuse to hear a word against my Sarah Jane.

Liz rules - as does Sarah Jane.

Speaking of whom, is anyone watching the new Sarah Jane Adventures?

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meh...it was adventure, serial like in quality and writing and good fun when I could be bothered to watch it this season, which given how much I disliked it for the last 4 was a bit.

People who don't like Moffat and Amy and River will continue to not like them moving forward.

It took me 2 episodes to dislike St. Rose and 3 to get tired of Martha Jones. And I thought the whole pathos thing so patently preaching to 21st century sensibilities and TV expectations that Tennant became almost impossible to watch for me. I gave up on Davies half way through the second season and 3 episodes into Torchwood.

I want adventure, don't mind a few plot holes, like cool monsters and a bit of family fun where parents and people have real relationships. I don't want the doctor mooning about being alone or about how everybody dies. The old guys never did that.

And...Amy and Rory have sex. The Doctor and River will have an interesting relationship. Good to see.

One bit I really liked not mentionned by anybody yet.

"Time can be changed."

"Don't you dare!"

A direct link to the bit where River dies.

Cool.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I have heard froma Whovian friend that Moffat is known to have misogynistic opinions. I don't know if it is true, but it sure wouuldn't surprise me from this last season.

Are these people who are prepared to overlook the companions' mothers and the treatment of Martha in Davies' run?
Based on River Song and Amy, I might say that Moffat has a limited range of women characters he can write, but then Sally Sparrow didn't fit into that mould. Some of the other complaints boil down to either, Amy is assertive and not a carer-type and that's really unfeminine, how negative of Moffat to depict a woman like that; or are basically stalking horses for I want Davies and Tennant back (because they're overlooking equally if not more troubling aspects of Davies' attitude to women).

Yeah, I gotta say, I prefer warts and all Amy and Kali Goddess River to some of the moony chicks of Doctor 10. Rose drove me nuts. There, I said it. Love Bille Piper, Rose annoyed me.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My (20 something) son raves about how great Dr Who has been. I have to say that I've found this series horribly confused and far too up itself.

Dr Who is (or should be) about adventure, wit and a few healthy scares along the way. For example, "Don't Blink" is one of the greatest single episodes ever.

I've no problem with "season arcs" as such - I just think that all the writers have got too conceited about how clever they are and forgotten that their first and foremost job is entertainment.

Having said all that - Rory is one of the greatest companions of all time. A genuine 100 carat hero packed full of honest, unassuming goodness. Amy is a lucky girl to have him and it's nice that the writers have allowed this to come through.

If you can conceive of someone like Rory and come up with episodes like "Don't Blink", why waste time with all the other crud?

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I enjoyed it. It didn't answer all the questions (how could it?) and had plot holes (how could it not?) but I enjoyed it. I loved the beginning, with steam trains and Romans and Winston Churchill with downloads (but then I liked the spitfires in space). It was all very silly and fun.

And I like River again now; I think it was the terrible disappointment of the Mels connection - and actually, the Melody Pond connection - that put me off her. I thought Let's Kill Hitler was very weak.

I also liked Amy killing Kovarian and the fact that she didn't like it later. She had learnt what she could be.

And I love the fact that the Doctor didn't actually marry River in the end, did he?

A little disappointed that the question was inevitably 'Dcotor Who?' - the first time we heard about a question, I said to Macarius 'Oh please not Doctor Who?'. But I agree with the poster up above who said we won't find out his name. We might find out more backstory, though.

And another person who is very very glad that we will have smaller stories from now on. There's only so many times you can blow up the universe and bugger up time.

Oh, and another vote for the lovely Brigadier reference.

M.

[ 04. October 2011, 06:52: Message edited by: M. ]

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is the question really "Doctor Who?" Personally, I took that as a prompting to think about what the question actually is—something more existential, like "who/what am I?" After all, that would be the most primal first question out there, the one too obvious to ask.

It also reminds me somewhat of Ye Olde Scripte Edittore's 5-book trilogy written during/after his stint writing for Tom Baker; isn't there something in the frontispiece to Life, the Universe, and Everything about how, when the answer is found to the Ultimate Question of LtUaE, the cosmos will end, to be replaced by something even stranger—assuming this hasn't happened already? I wouldn't underestimate the possibility this is something of a Douglas Adams reference.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
But I think from Dodo on it deteriorated. Polly? Victoria? And Zoe was like an early Romana problem--designed to be far better than the character actually developed.

Polly is a bit depending on the writer. Victoria is like that because she's Victoria, not because she's the female companion. While Zoe could have been better than she was, she's not a screaming damsel in distress. Jamie needs rescuing pretty much as much as she does.
As you say, Liz is a strong character - to the extent that the writers weren't quite comfortable with her. She may be relegated to answering phones, but she doesn't let you forget that the only reason she isn't doing the Doctor's job is that he's a near-sufficiently advanced alien. It's quite a feat.
Actually, I'll say this for Jo - she may be a bit dippy, but she is a trained escapologist which really must be the single most useful skill for a companion to possess.

[ 04. October 2011, 10:22: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
quote:

Liz rules - as does Sarah Jane.

Speaking of whom, is anyone watching the new Sarah Jane Adventures?

Have (re)started now.
In many ways it always strikes me as being more mature than Torchwood. (although you have the rainbow nuclear fuel rod game-which I presume is unrealistic and an dangerous miseducation for the next generation.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
In many ways it always strikes me as being more mature than Torchwood.

Torchwood really is like a ten-year old boy who has just discovered dirty jokes.

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

I also liked Amy killing Kovarian and the fact that she didn't like it later. She had learnt what she could be.

I did like her line though "River Song didn't get it all from you, Sweetie!" [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
(doubtingthomas)
... Sarah Jane Adventures?

quote:
Jay-Emm
Have (re)started now

quote:
Jay-Emm
In many ways it always strikes me as being more mature than Torchwood.

Well, it is written for children who are bout to grow up, whereas Torchwood is for adults who... [Big Grin]
(I like Torchwood, I hasten to add, especially in its original incarnation)
quote:
Jay-Emm (although you have the rainbow nuclear fuel rod game-which I presume is unrealistic and an dangerous miseducation for the next generation.
Yes... espeacially also since the world has now learned how long it can take to switch off a nuclear reactor. I wonder whether this was shot before or after (it was certainly written before...).

Science niggles aside, I think this was a wonderful story. It was sad to see how drawn Liz Sladen looked, though, knowing what happened later.

[Edits: some attempts at UBB clarification]

[ 06. October 2011, 03:51: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chelley:
What happened to the ganger Doctor?

Ah, just watched the flesh ones again... he evaporated! I forgot that!

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did like the introduction of the new character in the Sarah Jane Adventures - alien baby/twelve year old named Sky.
So, the first child Sarah Jane adopted was Luke, now Sky - would the next one be called Walker?

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought Sky was introduced to prepare for Rani and Clyde moving on when they leave school. (Obviously LS kept her illness private so they couldn't have known there wouldn't be more.)

Lovely to watch, but with a lump in my throat. I hope they find a way to finish the series properly.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see Sky as a direct replacement for Luke being away - Rani and Clyde would be replaced (as Maria was with Rani) with 'regular' teens but without Luke they was a gap for the quirky, not getting the world and useful alien talent.

ETA - And I liked the riversong echo of the child designed as a weapon.

[ 09. October 2011, 08:43: Message edited by: Avila ]

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

But do ganger Timelords regenerate?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's what I love about this show; the possibilities really are endless. It's like the Play-Doh of TV.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
quote:
quote:

But do ganger Timelords regenerate?
Well there didn't seem to be any orange glow when he turned to evaporated milk!

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I did like the introduction of the new character in the Sarah Jane Adventures - alien baby/twelve year old named Sky.
So, the first child Sarah Jane adopted was Luke, now Sky - would the next one be called Walker?

Oops... [Biased]

I had to think of Sky Silvestri from the excellent 10-Doctor episode Midnight
I hope for Sky's sake that that is a co-incidence...

@Zappa: apologies for messing up the code in my last post [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 09. October 2011, 19:20: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Well there didn't seem to be any orange glow when he turned to evaporated milk!

Oh, fuck me, my brain just did a backflip. What if they added that glop back to the pot AND THEN IT STARTED GLOWING ORANGE...

[ETA: Hiatus is fun!]

[ 09. October 2011, 19:24: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just regenerating the thread to ask if anyone else is a soggy mess after this week's last ever "Sarah Jane Adventures"?

Nice story, and unexpectedly topical (I couldn't help but think of Steve Jobs). A fun turn from James Dreyfuss, and some interesting revelations about alien slave trafficking which might be a good concept to pick up on in DW. Oh, and 'Clani' too.

It was intended to be the last in that series, so it ended with the customary voiceover about what a wonderful universe it is, and how SJ was so glad to have 'found a family'. And I'm reaching for the tissues.

What a lovely send-off for an amazing and much loved lady.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Just regenerating the thread to ask if anyone else is a soggy mess after this week's last ever "Sarah Jane Adventures"?

[...]

It was intended to be the last in that series, so it ended with the customary voiceover about what a wonderful universe it is, and how SJ was so glad to have 'found a family'. And I'm reaching for the tissues.

What a lovely send-off for an amazing and much loved lady.

Ah, me too! [Tear]

It was not intended to be the last in the series, as everyone was taken by surprise by Lis Sladen's death; a full 6-story (12 ep.) season was planned. Considering that, it was quite nice to have Luke back for what ended up being the end - this was probably only planned to be a guest appearance.

I guess the final voiceover was intended for the last story, but recorded along with the matching opener of the first one, so they had it and could use it for closure.

Needless to say, it was a great story, as all of this short series has been. I'm racking my brain to remeber whether we've heard Clani before - it sounds familiar, but maybe that is just because it is quite obvious in hindsight.

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just watched it on iPlayer. What a lovely ending - and I can so see that Polish cleaner in a UNIT beret!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did anyone see the Doctor Who segment on Children in Need? I've recorded the whole evening but I don't want to have to sit through the whole thing. Approximately when did the Who bit come on?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
About 8.30. Some silliness asking for bids for the costume, and a trail for Christmas, involving some children evacuated to a big country house, a portal into somewhere snowy, a brother getting into trouble, and some actual quotes from A.N. Other writer. The title will be "The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe".

"Spoilers!"

"BBC release"

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Only recently watched (on DVD) the second half of the season but a few comments:

1: I'm amazed that everyone seems to have forgotten Rule 1 in the episode about Faith. I'm really not sure that was Amy's room they were in so much as The Doctor's. The Doctor who leaves everyone behind. The Doctor who has the immense self-belief and faith he will save everyone. The Doctor's fear being to be forced to confront his unreliability. And it wasn't Amy's faith he was going after, but his own.

2: I thought one of the things they were going to see in The Girl Who Waited was a waterfall. But getting on to the meat of the episode, I don't see any reason why Older!Amy needs to be dead. Those bots were for medical purposes - and as soon as Amy's vital signs started crashing they'd realise something was wrong and take her to the medical crash facility. Then realise she was immune to the disease and apologise profusely...

3: Boo! Hiss! Cheat! Tessalecta was the duck used.

4: Who started the war between the Doctor and the Silence? I thought that there would be something doing if the Silence really weren't evil (as was possible at the start of the season). But no.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well,it looks like Amy's and Rory's days are numbered.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
Only recently watched (on DVD) the second half of the season but a few comments:

1: I'm amazed that everyone seems to have forgotten Rule 1 in the episode about Faith. I'm really not sure that was Amy's room they were in so much as The Doctor's. The Doctor who leaves everyone behind. The Doctor who has the immense self-belief and faith he will save everyone. The Doctor's fear being to be forced to confront his unreliability. And it wasn't Amy's faith he was going after, but his own.

Oh, I got that, all right. I just hope that thread gets picked up again. Because I don't care what planet you're from, that whole leaving everyone-- saving everyone thing has to be damaging.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(trying to put it better)

There was a lot of Jerry Lewis daffiness going on in Season 1, which I personally thought made sense-- in the context of the Series 10 season finale, The Doctor had experienced loss after loss after loss after loss, and when you get to that place, you have a choice-- you can plunge into despair, or you can go absolutely jackbatty. Doctor 11 seemed to go for option 2.

The problem is that kind of jackbatty is like turning on white noise when you sleep-- it can only go so far in blocking things out.

Now, this may be awareness of story-arch or just damn good acting, but I think Smith, in a beautifully subtle way, had done a good job at showing us the cracks in the daffiness where the despair is showing through. And that despair will need to be confronted. (I would need to get out the powerpoint to explain what I mean, so just take that or leave it.)

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is no one else rejoicing at the discovery of two lost episodes?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

My impression is that neither Galaxy 4 or The Underwater Menace are widely considered to be missing classics. I think the consensus is that both stories are appropriate for roasting at Christmas.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh great, a heartbreaking end. How nice to look forward to.

Penny

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I gotta say, the current team does heartbreaking quite well...while I have mixed feelings about the departure (I wish they had done the characters more justice, was hoping to see such), at least they can go out decked in glory with a flood of fan-tears. They deserve it.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Oh great, a heartbreaking end.

Again. [Roll Eyes]

Honestly, is there something in the Rules Of Doctor Who Scriptwriting that states "happy endings are not allowed"?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IMO, getting rid of Amy Pond is a happy ending. [Big Grin]
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

We can agree to disagree on that, but losing Rory will definitely be a blow.

I'm worried that this means another series of apocalyptic foreshadowing and overblown emotion, like 10's farewell tour. And if anyone even thinks of filling the gap with more of That Song Woman, I may end up doing something drastic.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
losing Rory will definitely be a blow.

Lets hope Arthur Darvill isn't absent from our screens for too long. My favourite actor of the series, and that is high praise considering how good Matt Smith has been.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I agree. They wasted that guy.

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

oh yes [Smile]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I was kind of warming up to her.

"Did you wish, really really hard?"

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
quote:

oh yes [Smile]
Agreed - but also agree that Rory has been wasted!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Rory seemed to spend most of his time being killed off anyway though.

They haven't got round to choosing a new companion for the Doctor yet - fingers crossed that it's not going to be yet another lovelorn young woman.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Near quote from one site "It is the end of the Ponds' story."

Which sounds bad. Not a parallel universe, not enforced forgetfulness. Not going off to a better job. Not good for a children's story.

But it must be an end which River Song will have known, and so must be consistent with her behaviour, unless Moffat has pulled the same trick of not telling Kingston again.

Penny

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016