homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Silence will fall - the Doctor Who thread returns (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Silence will fall - the Doctor Who thread returns
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin]

Caught Matt Smith's Graham Norton interview tonight-- what a delight. Every freaking word out of that guy's mouth was better than the one preceding it.

And I totally respected his passionate, mensch- worthy defense of Karen Gillian.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1st. V good indeed.

AtB, Pyx_e.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Narnia meets Avatar. Interesting. But quite good relaxing Christmas day stuff.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was pure magic. Loved the mum, the kids, the forest, the wooden people, the inept tree harvesters. Loved the story, the music, and possibly most of all the look, which was gorgeous.

And is Matt Smith simply the best actor ever to have played the Doctor? I think it's possible.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We need to re-do that poll. I was thinking about that the other day.

[ 25. December 2011, 20:20: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yep. In a little puddle of tears now after that - "happy tears", of course!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

I've been convinced of his genius since he first appeared. It's easy to concentrate on his hyperactive side, the big glittery Smith - but look at the subtle Smith. There's a scene in The Doctor's Wife where Idris/TARDIS is saying goodbye to him. Not only is his every tiny gesture absolutely true to life, he also somehow becomes very small and vulnerable and almost invisible as the scene plays out around him. That takes some doing. Tom Baker or Jon Pertwee could never have done that. Peter Davison, possibly.

Look again at how he played the final scene on tonight's show. When he was told there's always a place set for him at Christmas dinner, he goes very quiet and very still, and it's very beautiful and moving. Smith's acting is increasingly compared to (the great) Patrick Troughton's: personally, I think he's even better.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I've been convinced of his genius since he first appeared. It's easy to concentrate on his hyperactive side, the big glittery Smith - but look at the subtle Smith. There's a scene in The Doctor's Wife where Idris/TARDIS is saying goodbye to him. Not only is his every tiny gesture absolutely true to life, he also somehow becomes very small and vulnerable and almost invisible as the scene plays out around him. That takes some doing. Tom Baker or Jon Pertwee could never have done that. Peter Davison, possibly.

Oh, all that "hyperactive" stuff is a lot of fun, but you're right, it is the authenticity and vulnerability that keeps killing me. And he is incredibly generous to anybody who enters a scene with him, in an astonishingly total-somatic way (if that makes sense.) But yeah, especially the face. He gives great face. Damn.

I voted for Baker the first time around, but even then I kept moving my cursor back and forth. I guess I about wanted to think about it a while, and make sure I wasn't just basing my decision on (I'm gonna admit it) handsome.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
generous

I just wanted to end on that in discussing Smith, though, because both with the show and the interviews I've watched, that is the word that keeps popping up in my mind, over and over.

[ 25. December 2011, 21:36: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

If you asked me who the best Doctor was, who my favourite Doctor was and who the best actor to play the Doctor I'd give three different answers.

In a similar way I think Arthur Darvill is possibly the best actor to play a companion, yet I find the character Rory to be irritating.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Really enjoyed the Christmas special. Loved all the references to Narnia (Digby, "What do they teach you in schools?" etc.) but the story worked well in its own right. Billy Bailey and friends were a bit of padding, but I liked the way the apparent villains were actually victims. Wasn't sure about the last few minutes, back in the present, but they were mercifully brief. Loved the Mum - wouldn't it be great if she could be the next companion? And Matt Smith, when well supported, is finally beginning to grow on me.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also liked the fact that the silly Christmas trailer had let me to expect one enemy hatching from the metal balls - and then something different happened!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Finally got to see it all the way through-- added joy of watching this ep with Neph and my cousin Chris (I believe Chris and I have made a convert!)

Love:

The Willy Wonka-esque beginning part about the house remodel. "I know."The ten-year-old in me was giddy.

Madge, Madge, Madge. Wonderful.

The explosive cognitive paradigm shift of the Doctor figuring out he wasn't the "strong one" in this situation (Oh that needed to happen. And I kept thinking, "Adeodatus is gonna love this!)

And I liked the ending-- because Madge was right. She really was.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Best Doctor? Tom Baker. Paradoxically Ace (Sophie Aldred) was my favourite companion. Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch since about 2003 because kuruman didn't want me to freak the kids out. I did see one set at Cardiff Arms Park and one featuring a car driving around the block and some Hermione Granger style time travel.

Sigh.

One day I'll catch up.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The problem is I find myself strangely disappointed. I think - after some time thinking about it - that the problem is the quality of the BBC drama this year. Rev, The Shadow Line, The Fades, Lost Christmas, and others I cannot recollect at this point have raised the bar of drama. And I am not sure that DW has really stepped up.

Matt is a brilliant Doctor. The rest of the cast were excellent too. But I think the BBC has now set itself a challenge that all of its programmes will have to up their game.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Disappointing. As usual, lots of snappy lines and a tearjerking ending, but the story was drivel from start to finish and the "surprise" was visible from miles away.

I want to like it, because Matt Smith is an exceptional Doctor and all the right elements seem to be present in the script, but I seem to be finding the programme increasingly vapid and superficial under Moffat's tenure. [Frown]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

After some discussion with Adeodatus, I decided to go ahead and post this one last bit of fangirl gush, because he convinced me it wasn't as glurgy as I feared it was:
Adeodatus said:
quote:
There's a scene in The Doctor's Wife where Idris/TARDIS is saying goodbye to him. Not only is his every tiny gesture absolutely true to life, he also somehow becomes very small and vulnerable and almost invisible as the scene plays out around him. That takes some doing."
I've only been watching the show for a couple years, but that is my vote for the most well-acted, moving, perfect scene ever put in the show.

Idris is absolutely incandescent in this scene. And most of it is because she's fabulous in and of herself--seriously, she was perfect-- but a big part of it is how much Smith is giving her. He's hanging on her every word and responding an a million little ways. You watch her slowly destroy him, and then (you're right) his voice comes out in that little whisper (don't go!), And Kelly starts weeping every time.

And once I noticed that, I started looking more closely-- you know what? He does that in every scene. He makes the person in the scene with him glow. I talked earlier in the season about the scene in "Closing Time" with the woman at the toy counter-- same thing there. The aborted seduction of Craig-- (hee!) same there. I said to my cousin last night that Tennant (much as I did like him) was a scene- stealer; Smith is a scene- giver.

I make teeny-bopper references to his handsomeness, but the truth is, when he first burst out of regeneration, I though he was kind of dorky- looking. I had to see how he used his face to appreciate how lovely he is.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Well, one more thing...

Neph's father is really macho. He decided Christmas morning that family activities would interfere with his football watching, and opted to stay home. So here Neph is at my house, most of Christmas afternoon, hanging out with cool older nerd boys (and me) watching the marathon leading up to the special. The guys are bragging about how hard they cried at this or that episode, and discussing things like character development and motivation. All stuff that would have provoked a running commentary of sneer from Dad. And then the special comes on, and we all are treated to this joyful, emotionally expressive, physically warm, intellectually voracious example of masculine vivacity. And my Neph is riveted to the screen, eyes glowing, and declares it to be a " really, REALLY cool show!" This from the diehard Carlos Mencia fan. [Big Grin]

Neph got a lot of swag this year but as far as I am concerned, that show was the best gift he got.

[ 27. December 2011, 06:53: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Disappointing. As usual, lots of snappy lines and a tearjerking ending, but the story was drivel from start to finish and the "surprise" was visible from miles away.

Well, yes, you could see that coming from the moment Madge got the telegram saying her husband was dead. But it's kids television, it's Christmas, it's going to have a happy ending.

For what it was, it was OK and interesting, though a bit too reliant on special effects. Moffatt has been simultaneously trying to write the new series of Sherlock as well I believe, so probably doesn't have as much creative energy to spare as he might have.

Amy Pond really is completely graceless and offhand though - couldn't be bothered to make any effort to be polite or even smile when the Doctor turned up, and the thing with the water pistol was beyond rude. I know it's only fiction but to me it said that's how someone behaves when they have no respect for the other person and know they can treat them how they want. The sooner she's out of the series, the better.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
]Well, yes, you could see that coming from the moment Madge got the telegram saying her husband was dead. But it's kids television, it's Christmas, it's going to have a happy ending.

You could see that coming from the moment the camera cut away before we saw what happened to the bomber.

quote:
Amy Pond really is completely graceless and offhand though - couldn't be bothered to make any effort to be polite or even smile when the Doctor turned up, and the thing with the water pistol was beyond rude. I know it's only fiction but to me it said that's how someone behaves when they have no respect for the other person and know they can treat them how they want.
To be fair, the Doctor had been letting them think he was dead. Also, I think there's a difference between treating someone with a lack of respect and playing at treating someone with a lack of respect because you know they know etc. that you respect them deeply.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I am on Amys side with her treatment of the Doctor. He had treated her very badly, and she was very angry at this. She had put up with a lot from him.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was a bit worried about Anderson who was in a bad way in the back of bomber. Where did he and the other guy end up, when Dad's plane appeared on the lawn in front of Madge and the kids?

I decided to console myself by thinking that the same Magical Powers of Christmas Love that got Dad reunited with his wife and kids, got the other guy back to his family and got Anderson to a well-staffed emergency room just in time.

After watching the entire series of Doctor Who since the 2005 reboot on DVD with our kids in the last few months (my husband and I had seen only the first season and a few scattered David Tennant episodes, nothing with Matt Smith) we finally finished "The Wedding of River Song" last night. Which means I can now go back and reread this thread, which I used to occasionally click on and then quickly click away again, because ... spoilers ....

Matt Smith has grown on me, but I'll never love him like either Tennant or Eccleston.

[ 27. December 2011, 14:14: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Thanks for posting that, Kelly. As I said, not remotely gushy: just a great exploration of what makes Smith's acting so great.

Something that I mentioned to Kelly, that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread yet - I've recently been following a blog called TARDIS Eruditorum, a brilliant, enthusiastic, often profound exploration of everything that Doctor Who ever has been. Something I particularly like (especially in the early entries) is the writer's attempt to understand how the shows might have been viewed by viewers of the time. I sometimes disagree with his analysis, but he's always readable (even the several thousand word timey-wimey entry on The Deadly Assassin).

Re: Amy in the Christmas episode. Doctor turns up on doorstep. Doctor thinks Amy think he's dead, doesn't know his wife (Amy's daughter) has spilled the beans about him still being alive. Amy doesn't know if he doesn't know, or if perhaps he does know. Doctor doesn't know that Amy knows there's something she shouldn't, or perhaps should, know.

Does this explain the awkward atmosphere? Oh, and the water pistol was for the carol singers - an attitude I sympathise with completely without necessarily condoning. [Biased]

(Yes. I'm an Amy fan. I've said from the start a character doesn't have to be likeable in order to be good, by which I mean well written and well acted. And I maintain Amy Pond is a good character. Rory, of course, is good and likeable and ... well ... [Hot and Hormonal] let's just leave it there, shall we?)

I'm working my way up to producing a season review, which I haven't done for a couple of years. Which means you might want to scroll past my next entry on this thread, especially if you notice it's quite long.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The scene itself was kinda awkward, but she herself was kickass in it. That squirt gun won my heart. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Rory, of course, is good and likeable and ... well ... [Hot and Hormonal] let's just leave it there, shall we?)

[Big Grin]

We two are so brave in our authenticity.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It would be a dull world if we were all alike. Even Peri probably had her supporters.

Anyway, apart from that I quite enjoyed the episode and agree that Matt Smith is shaping up nicely to be a good Doctor. He seems to have the right sort of face for the part somehow.

(Do carol singers - the sort that call round and try to serenade you at your front door - still exist? I haven't seen any for years.)

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
The scene itself was kinda awkward, but she herself was kickass in it. That squirt gun won my heart. [Big Grin]

It was a way of her expressing her irritation ( especially in sub-zero temperatures ) without causing harm. Very cool, very DW.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was a brilliant bit of fan-stroking to set the thing on Androzani!

[SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Amy Pond really is completely graceless and offhand though - couldn't be bothered to make any effort to be polite or even smile when the Doctor turned up, and the thing with the water pistol was beyond rude. I know it's only fiction but to me it said that's how someone behaves when they have no respect for the other person and know they can treat them how they want.

I don't know what paralel world you watch TV in but the one that has the show the rest of us saw wasn't like that at all. The water pistol scene showed tremendous affection and also sadness - and a little bit of anger. Karen Gillan acted it beautifully. Just look at the expressions on her face! Really, all those things you thought you saw weren't there. Absolutely none of that rude dismissivness at all. Its must be because you took against her for some reason that you missed what she was actually doing on screen.

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
As usual, lots of snappy lines and a tearjerking ending, but the story was drivel from start to finish and the "surprise" was visible from miles away.

It was obvious from the begining that the husband would somehow be saved, deliberately telegraphed ahead when the Doctor said he would return to grant a wish and we immediately were shown the failing bomber. So we expected that, there was no real suspense in it.

The twist in the plot was the way the rescue was done. We know that the Doctor is a timetraveller and so we were led to expect that he would use the Tardis to go back and save the bomber crew which means the scriptwriters would have had to find some way round the long-established rule that that sort of interference is a Bad Thing. If only because it renders all plots irrelevant because any problems cabn be fixed.

So we, the viewers, anticipate a scene where the Doctor says something like Well, I, er, um, could go back in time to December 1942 but its Not Allowed because we might accidentally destroy the world, or get stuck in a time loop, or bud off a pocket universe, or turn half the population of Lincolnshire into zombies, or release a plague of Psychic Chrono-worms from the Dark Side of Time or whatever. And then someone would comne up with some handwaving reason why it was OK just this once and the Doctor would do it, and the bloke would be alive, but something somewhere would be lost just to show they mean it.

But this time it didn't work like that, and the scriptwriters side-stepped all the Doctor's problems in a "Some days everybody lives" kind of way. Sussed immediately we saw the time-vortex graphics from inside the tower. The Doctor didn't have to save the day at all - the mother could do it herself. In fact had to do it to get home,

And yes, we were crying. But in my case not so much for the fictional bomber pilot who was saved - because as I said the viewers all expected that - but for all the hundreds of thousands, all the millions, of men who in real life were never saved and who never returned to their wives and children.

But there was still over ten minutes of the programme to go. And that was where the visit to Amy and Rory came in. Which worked.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Ken, you're entitled to your opinion - but that's all it is, opinion. To rubbish another shipmate's opinion so thoroughly is unnecessary rudeness. Surely enough has been said earlier in this thread for you to realise that, however highly you rate Karen Gillan, there are many other Whovians who disagree with you. Do they all inhabit a parallel world?

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just a little reminder to ken and Robert Armin that we don't attack each other here. Keep it Heavenly, OK?

jedijudy
Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

It was a way of her expressing her irritation ( especially in sub-zero temperatures ) without causing harm. Very cool, very DW.
I thought about the sub-zero aspect, and that only made it funnier to me. I guess because I have a mean streak. [Big Grin]

Also, I kinda like it when The Doctor gets taken down a notch or two. He (the character) would be unbearable if that didn't happen once in a while.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
I don't know what parallel world you watch TV in but the one that has the show the rest of us saw wasn't like that at all.

What, all of you? Every single person in the UK? [Razz]

quote:
The water pistol scene showed tremendous affection and also sadness - and a little bit of anger. Karen Gillan acted it beautifully. Just look at the expressions on her face!
This is exactly what I mean. She doesn't have a particularly expressive face at the best of times and in this particular scene what I saw was that she maintained a cold, hardboiled stare for most of the time. Matt Smith was far more convincing than she was.

Amy was remarkable for an almost complete lack of affection apart from the hug and I don't regard the water pistol as much evidence of it. As a character she isn't someone who wears her heart on her sleeve, but given the other episodes in the series, I quite often found myself wondering throughout the series whether she was capable of feeling anything much at all. Some people genuinely are shallow and materialistic, she has always seemed like such to me.

Anyhow, we will have to agree to disagree as usual and leave it at that. It's only light entertainment, after all, not something to be taken too seriously.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ken, I'm glad you thought of the stadium full of crews who didn't make it back (and I haven't seen the episode yet being at non-Who watching relatives). When I learned of the numbers, I couldn't help seeing the arena in heaven in "A Matter of Life and Death", full of them. And then of the men who kept on sending them out to die.

And then of my friend's father, who was a "lucky" pilot, and did come back, but whose family is still dealing with the flak, and the others like him, who never quite adjusted to being back, and whose partners never quite adjusted to the person they no longer knew.

Penny

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Just a little reminder to ken and Robert Armin that we don't attack each other here. Keep it Heavenly, OK?

jedijudy
Heaven Host

My apologies, jedijudy. I tried to keep my disagreement with ken Purgatorial; I am sorry if I failed to do so.

--------------------

Kinetikat
Apprentice
# 16833

- Posted      Profile for Kinetikat   Email Kinetikat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have to agree with Kelly vis-a-vis the difference between Tennant and Smith's Doctors - not just the characters as written, because they both have that jaw-dropping Time-Lord arrogance - but in the acting. Tennant was fantastic, sparking, electric, and you didn't want to take your eyes off him, he was doing so much in every second. Smith, as Kelly pointed out above, can be every inch the hyperactive enfant terrible, but he has brought a nuanced sensitivity and depth to the expression of the Doctor's character that allows others to be visible too - and supports their work so that the whole thing links together and becomes much more synergistic.
Ooh. Good stuff! [Cool]

Posts: 28 | From: Northumberland, UK | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Kinetikat:
Smith... can be every inch the hyperactive enfant terrible, but he has brought a nuanced sensitivity and depth to the expression of the Doctor's character that allows others to be visible too - and supports their work so that the whole thing links together and becomes much more synergistic.
Ooh. Good stuff! [Cool]

Nicely, concisely put. Also, there's an odd joviality to his particular brand of arrogance --Yes, I'm a screaming narcissist and that is a character flaw, but it makes me all the more lovable, doesn't it? (My cousin reminded me of one scene where he's poking around in the TARDIS and sighs, " I'm up here being impressive and nobody's here to watch..."

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(forgot to add) RE above-- another thing I glean from interviews is that Smith seems to have a genuine affection for his character-- he seems to really like the old guy.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yes, I'm a screaming narcissist and that is a character flaw, but it makes me all the more lovable, doesn't it?

It's partly that he's never narcissistic beyond the point where he's lovable. In fact, when he's preoccupied and self-pitying and not listening it's usually because he's pretending not to be concerned about someone else.

(The exchange between him and Amy in The Time of Angels is typical. Ostensibly he's being self-pitying about having to go into a cave system and kill an angel without knowing how; in fact, he's thinking about River because the last time he saw her she was dead. On the face of it, Amy's non-sequitur yes I'm still bothering you even though you asked me not to seems unfeeling; in fact, she's asking the Doctor to talk about what's really troubling him.) When in The Impossible Astronaut he says he's being awfully clever and nobody's watching him, what he's really saying is 'you lot should all know that keeping information from me is not going to make things better'.

As with the Troughton and McCoy Doctors one's never quite sure what parts of the antic madcap persona are put on and what parts are real but the Doctor is exploiting.

[ 28. December 2011, 14:22: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought I caught one huge howler - the scene near the beginning but AFTER the start of the war, Madge and the kids are in a lighted living room with lights ON and the street lights outside also ON. WHAT ABOUT THE BLACKOUT!!!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It also occurred to me that there's an awful lot of war to go, and bomber pilot is a high risk occupation - so he could get killed in the very next raid he goes on. It just won't be at Christmas time.

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
... the very next raid he goes on.

I doubt if the RAF would be eager to risk one of their very expensive big bombers to a pilot who not only landed one on the lawn of his uncles house but also didn't tell anyone for six days!

Depending on how well he tells his story he's either going to spend the rest of the war cleaning latrines, or else training new pilots in navigation without instruments and emergency landing techniques.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just got around to watching it. It was good. Felt quite lean on actual story, not sure why.

Claire Skinner was great. A bit emotional manipulative perhaps but I did fall for all the mummy stuff and cried on queue.

Matt Smith is excellent.

I'm not Ms Gillan's biggest fan but what I got from the water-pistol scene was someone who's incredibly glad to see her friend alive but angry at the same time.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Something that I mentioned to Kelly, that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread yet - I've recently been following a blog called TARDIS Eruditorum, a brilliant, enthusiastic, often profound exploration of everything that Doctor Who ever has been.

I would just like to report that that is a horrible way to waste hours of my life. Have you come across Adventures with the Wife in Space?

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Thank you, Dafyd - I have just been laughing until tears came to my eyes over the review of The Curse of Peladon!
(My Young Man knows the actor who was inside the Alpha Centauri costume - and, innocent child as I was back in the 1970s, I never thought of him as a "penis in a shower curtain"!)

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Something that I mentioned to Kelly, that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread yet - I've recently been following a blog called TARDIS Eruditorum, a brilliant, enthusiastic, often profound exploration of everything that Doctor Who ever has been.

I would just like to report that that is a horrible way to waste hours of my life. Have you come across Adventures with the Wife in Space?
Dafyd, I haven't laughed so much in ages. I'd never heard of that! I love Sue!

(I've decided to read it from the beginning. I've been on it for an hour, I've got as far as Planet of Giants, and I've just noticed I haven't had anything to eat yet....)

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hosting

I'm not sure time counts on a time travel thread, but:

It's mid evening New Year's Eve in the easternmost nations (now including Samoa) so one of us may wind this up in the next few hours, and kick off a new thread.

Keep on whoing in twenty twelve, twenty five twenty five, eighteen twelve, wheneva

(and don't put an "r" in that verb, though it may be more lucrative)

Oh, and Happy New Year.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Thread hard-drived [Big Grin] I have a feeling this will be a a memorable year.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by wilson:
Just got around to watching it. It was good. Felt quite lean on actual story, not sure why.

I felt "we've been here before" - the repetition of the parent-saves-child story, which has been rather over used in the past couple of seasons.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

I've just tried the TARDIS Eruditorium, to be greeted with this:
quote:
"Jack always said it was difficult for us Americans to understand what it was really like here in the darkest parts of the eighties. We had a doddery old President who talked about the end of the world a little too often and was being run by the wrong people. But they had a Prime Minister who was genuinely mad. You know there were even feminists and women's studies theorists who denied she was even really a woman anymore, she was so far out of her tree? She wanted concentration camps for AIDS victims, wanted to eradicate homosexuality even as an abstract concept, made poor people choose between eating and keeping their vote, ran the most shameless vote-grabbing artificial war scam in fifty years... England was a scary place. No wonder it produced a scary culture." - Warren Ellis, Planetary #7
Not a lot of laughs there, but plenty of material for the State Funeral thread. On the other hand - what has it got to do with the Doctor?

[ 31. December 2011, 11:43: Message edited by: Robert Armin ]

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Robert, that's one of the "Pop Between Realities, Home in Time For Tea" entries on the Eruditorum, which look at political and cultural issues contemporary with whatever Doctor Who stories he's dealing with at the time. He did a scorching piece on Mary Whitehouse a few weeks ago. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

By the way, if we're going to have a new thread, isn't there an issue of the title? What about something really obscure this time? Like "Not Just a Degree in Cheese Making" (from God Complex). And mightn't a new thread sag a bit, since it's looking like the series won't return till late 2012?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016