homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Silence will fall - the Doctor Who thread returns (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Silence will fall - the Doctor Who thread returns
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
I noticed on rewatching that before the storm the Doctor leaves Amy and Rory in one control room. When Amy and Rory wake up after the storm they're lying by the ganger-making vat, which I'm pretty sure was a different room. And how did they get knocked out? So unless there was a continuity error, something happened that's not been explained, and the most likely something is that we're looking at ganger Amy and Rory.
Also they'd be the only two gangers that have managed to stay stably human-looking for anything like that length of time. Rory's been unobserved for a lot of the time, but Amy's been continuously in company.

A rewatch comment was that 'they only remain stable whilst we are plumbed in' so if real Rory and Amy are plugged in somewhere they won't phase in and out ???

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
Later just before heading up to the weather vane he makes a comment about needing to get there before all hell breaks loose, then pauses to say 'I never thought I'd get to say that again' (or something similar)

Ah, that - IIRC I think what he said was, "I'd better get there before the cockerel crows or all hell will break loose" which was something that immediately reminded me, for some reason, of Peter denying Jesus, and then of the old belief that the creatures of the night must be back in their places/graves/mounds before the cock crows. Probably neither are related to whatever the Doctor was referring to, but either way, it was the intriguing bit of the episode.
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So Peter was possibly the Doctor? [Big Grin]

I have noticed before that one significant figure the Doctor has never met is Jesus. Do you suppose he will?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
So Peter was possibly the Doctor? [Big Grin]

I have noticed before that one significant figure the Doctor has never met is Jesus. Do you suppose he will?

I don't think they'd be able to get that right, (or indeed with mere mortals like Mohammed or the Buddha).
Even if they specifically targeted just me, I think there'd still be an overlap between making X too good, and not enough.
Should the lord of Time learn from X, or teach X?
Does X know about the Timelords?

After all these issues even arose with someone as mundane as Shakespeare.

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So the Doctor did plan his trip to the flesh place.

Love the swap over for bringing out prejudice bias. Or does the ending change the effect of that affiliation??

And it looks like one cliff hanger will resolve this half series, but what are the implications of secrets told?

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" - nice to hear that phrase as the unstable flesh Doctor couldn't work out which regeneration he was. Son who it too young to remember the third doctor didn't know why I was laughing.

I also liked the two Doctors talking to himself. As if one wasn't arrogant enough, nice use of humour to dispel the tension.

Ironically it was reverse the polarity (or reverse the Doctors) which was the key to the episode.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow... the ending is going to dominate discussion, no doubt! Great twist... I'd heard the episode ended on a cliffhanger, but hadn't guessed that.

The main part of the episode was pretty good too. The two Doctors were fun, and it cranked up the action nicely from last week. We'll have a review up on the Impossible Podcasts blog ASAP.

One quibble about something towards the end. Spoilers...
Why couldn't the real Doctor have held the door with Rory while everyone else got into the TARDIS, and disintegrated the Flesh, and then ran into the TARDIS? If they'd not spent so much time chattering away, they'd have had time to do so before the place exploded!
Spoilers above!

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that was boring. Ending in Amy's never really having been there/so it was all only a dream sequence and waking up to find herself pregnant. Will she give birth to an alien? [Snore]

Roll on next week, it can only be better.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So when Amy and Rory get together they'll be able to compare notes on remembering being artificial.

At quite what point did original Cleaves change her mind about the gangers being real? When the one of them tried to save his duplicate's life?

I note that Eleven was getting to Seven levels of deviousness in this episode.

It wasn't a dream sequence. Original Amy was hooked up to ganger-Amy, so presumably she remembers everything ganger-Amy did.

[ 28. May 2011, 20:31: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think that waking up and finding that you are "about to pop" is a terrifying idea. [Help]
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meh!
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So Amy has not been Amy since the Silence kidnapped her, but has been trapped somewhere horrible, incubating, but in communication with her active ganger. The ganger Dr knows what is going to happen, hence the advice about pushing. But why does the non-ganger Dr terminate the ganger Amy, after all that stuff about treating them like people? (Or, indeed, ganger Jennifer 2 terminate ganger Jennifer 1? Or does everyone go melty?)

Interesting that once the doppel is dropped, the ganger part of the word means something like "goer" with the meaning of a being which goes in someone's place. Which is what they do. (Like the ushabti, or answerers, in Egyptian tombs.)

Penny

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

But Amy saw eyepatch woman looking in during the silence episode 2, so was she replaced between the spaceship and the 3 months later chasing? Or having seen confidential and the trailers could it be before that? Before the Doctor's death??

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hopefully, Pond will die of post-partum complications - her and her ganger (and any others out there in the multiverse) preferably.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, just watched a downloaded version since BBC American chose not to broadcast part two this week and in the words of my son, the biggest WHO fan in the universe....
" ewww I thought this was a kid's show". [Ultra confused]

He wondered who put the baby In Amy against her will and thought that was scary and mean.

I suspected it was coming but kinda hoped I was wrong.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Later just before heading up to the weather vane he makes a comment about needing to get there before all hell breaks loose, then pauses to say 'I never thought I'd get to say that again'
(or something similar)

I thought that was a reference back to the Vampires of Venice episode where he had to get up to the top of the tower to do something or other (can't remember precisely) to stop them?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And there I was thinking it was a reference to the Maureen Lipmann episode, where she tries to take over the world by TV at the time of the Coronation.

Not sure what to make of this two (three?) parter. It's all right, but the most interesting ideas have come up here, and not been followed up on screen. Looks like some careless writing to me.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Replying to those people who pointed out how the Doctor destroyed the 'flesh' Amy. Well, the Doctor did say at the end of the episode he'd needed to see the Flesh in 'its early days' so maybe Flesh Amy was a later more sinister evilly type version of the Flesh and so he had to disintegrate it.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I assumed that ganger-Amy needed to be "decommissioned" so that real-Amy could wake up and be slightly less helpless in her situation. Of course, we have no way of knowing if pregnant-Amy is real.
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found last week's episode boring but the resolution this week really held my attention and I thought it was really good. Jennifer-as-monster was not nearly as scary as Jennifer-looking-like-Jennifer, though.

It's a shame that the episode has been rather taken over in my mind by the end bit about Amy. I'm not sure what to make of that yet.

And I assumed that the Doctors had changed places (or at least shoes), because of the emphasis being put on Amy's reaction to them - although I also wondered whether it was a double bluff - it does all get a bit complicated, doesn't it?

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am sure that we have not heard the last of the Gangers. Just as we had not heard the first of them last week.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So did Matthew Graham plagiarise himself? Weird lady who you glimpse through walls ... weird characters you see in the TV ... hospital beds, alternate realities...

Maybe Gene Hunt will show up?!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My theories about how it will pan out...

1. The Doctor
The flesh Doctor is able to regenerate, but only in the form of the 11th Doctor. It is this that we see being destroyed in the first episode of this series.

2, Amy
The real Amy has not been around since episode 1.
She gives birth to a girl called Amelia who due to a time paradox is transported back to 1989 Scotland and brought up by relatives. Amy dies in childbirth, thus tying Amy in to living an elongated Groundhog day.

At least one of these will be wrong.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So the preview shows that Amy appears to be in a facility with soldiers wearing the same symbols as Father Octavain and River at the crash.of the Byzantium.

Also if the shoe change was real then Amy has told the Doctor that she had witnessed his death.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
Also if the shoe change was real then Amy has told the Doctor that she had witnessed his death.

Indeed -- which the silents told her to do early on.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

- Posted      Profile for GeordieDownSouth   Email GeordieDownSouth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm enjoying this series, though I'm going to have to re-watch that last episode to get to grips with it.

I did notice a couple of clangers. The Flesh is meant to be a military secret (though a badly kept one) but in this episode we learn there's 10 million gangers in India? Bad proof reading? And there was a scene with the two doctors* and (I think) Amy which had the look of a later filmed pickup as all the other characters in the room had vanished.

I've now got no idea how this is going to play out, but to add to the discusion, is it significant that Rory doesn't seem to have a surname? They call him Rory Pond which is more of a joke, but has he ever been given a surname? It was significant last series that Amy didn't have any parents hanging around.

And my bid is that the "good man" is Rory, not the Doctor. Losing Amy will spur him into action.

Anyway, I've not posted here for about 5 years! Good to see this thread is still going. Hello again [Cool]

*Now that's a classic episode worth avoiding. A bored Sontaron, and the 2nd doctor has a very good lunch.

Posts: 689 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by GeordieDownSouth:
is it significant that Rory doesn't seem to have a surname? They call him Rory Pond which is more of a joke, but has he ever been given a surname?

Rory Williams.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

- Posted      Profile for GeordieDownSouth   Email GeordieDownSouth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh yeh, now I remember [Hot and Hormonal]

I have no theories.

--------------------
----------------------

No longer down south.

Posts: 689 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But Amy saw eyepatch woman looking in during the silence episode 2, so was she replaced between the spaceship and the 3 months later chasing?

I would imagine that it was after she told the Doctor she was pregnant, but before she saw the eyepatch woman for the first time. The confusion when they were all running from the Silence and the astronaut that at the time seemed like an interesting experiment in storytelling would indeed seem to be the likely place. Because we never did find out just what happened then, or just how they decided to form plans against the Silence.

I got the impression from a couple of remarks that the Doctor made that one of his reasons for going there was to find out whether duplicate-Amy would appreciate becoming a real person. Based on Amy's reaction to the gangers, he decided duplicate-Amy wouldn't appreciate being kept alive.

Yes, Amy did tell real Doctor what happened to him. (It would still have been interfering with time had it been ganger-Doctor and ganger-Doctor had been the one that died then.)

Ganger-Jennifer One was I think not quite all there, which was what made her happy to sacrifice another ganger in the cause of ganger rights. (She didn't want to be human, which would be why she was able to reshape herself when the other gangers were stabilising as humans.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Ganger-Jennifer One was I think not quite all there, which was what made her happy to sacrifice another ganger in the cause of ganger rights. (She didn't want to be human, which would be why she was able to reshape herself when the other gangers were stabilising as humans.)

Actually, I am not sure that Real Jennifer was all there.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I understand it, the gangers are aware of their originals - so the Flesh Amy has been on the Tardis for the best part of nine months and never mentioned "By the way, there's another Amy out there who's pregnant and held captive - is there anything we can do about that?"
It's all about trust, and she hasn't been straight with them all that time.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
As I understand it, the gangers are aware of their originals - so the Flesh Amy has been on the Tardis for the best part of nine months and never mentioned "By the way, there's another Amy out there who's pregnant and held captive - is there anything we can do about that?"
It's all about trust, and she hasn't been straight with them all that time.

Would that be because the Originals knew what was going on.
If Amy got drugged and then woke up (with most of) her perceptions from the gangers pov, how would she know?

Whereas if you got into the chair, and felt your consiousness shift, you'd might even be able to recognise original perception.

Supporting that the 2 independent ganger's in the pack weren't aware which they were (although they remembered that there was been a ganger).

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
Would that be because the Originals knew what was going on.
If Amy got drugged and then woke up (with most of) her perceptions from the gangers pov, how would she know?

I agree with Jay-Emm. There's nothing to suggest that the gangers had any consciousness of being distinct from the originals until the originals disengaged or before the power surge.

As confirmation, Amy didn't know what was going on when she saw the midwife looking through the window. If she'd known she was a ganger she'd have known that she was seeing something that her original was seeing.

--------------------

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

Thinking back to the The Sontaran Stratagem when they made a copy of Martha the Doctor immediately recognized that she was not human by her smell. He also knew that they needed to keep her alive somewhere to support the copy. If the Doctor knew that Amy was a ganger this whole time then why all of the adventures and running around and wasting time? And considering the care he's always shown copies (that episode and New Earth) I thought it seemed out of character for him to destroy Amy's ganger like he did.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was she actually a ganger? Or was she some other kind of duplicate?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Isn't it the case that in Who-lore, the technology needed to make something like the Flesh would be child's play compared to the ability to maintain the Original-Ganger link not only time but also when the Ganger was outside the Universe, as in The Doctor's Wife?

This isn't random creepy Alien or twenty-second century human engineering. It's Time Lord level, the difference between the Daleks being rubbish half-scary dustbins and creatures that could fight Gallifrey and hold their own. Or, it's a writing oversight.

Welcome back, GDS.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not only across time. Obviously. Doh.
Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't keep up with all the theorising...I just enjoy each show for what it is and hope I'm reminded of the vital bits when it matters...

But, oh! I watched Confidential last night (we'd recorded it) and thought it was dire! There were some short interesting bits, but mostly it seemed to consist of the three main actors wittering on about what Christmas presents they'd got (and we want to know this why?) and an overlong piece about whether Matt Smith and Annoying KG believe in ghosts (conclusion: they don't really know) It was almost a complete waste of time. Did anyone else see it? Am I being overly critical?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, Dormouse, you're not - I found it very irritating too. The 15-minute version on after the Sunday night repeat episode is better. Short, sharp and to the point.

And I have no coherent theories about Amy's ganger...I'm just [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've watched it again for the Impossible Podcasts fan commentary, which is now online. Some further reflections...

I enjoyed the episode, but I thought that several of the characters got hit by the Stupid Stick, especially as they were escaping towards the end. I couldn't understand why the real Doctor couldn't just have disintegrated monster-Jen - if they hadn't stopped to chat and hug and say goodbye, there would have been plenty of time. It was for the most part entertaining and stylish, but let down slightly by lapses in logic.

It shows some of the advantages and dangers of a more complex story arc. On the one hand, the cliffhanger was amazing - this is probably the best story arc Doctor Who has done, although a lot will depend on how well it is resolved. On the other hand, it didn't quite fit with the rest of the story, and undermined it as a standalone.

Particularly, melting Amy at the end seemed a bit odd after all the "Gangers are people too" stuff - I think it needed to be explained more clearly. All the pieces of information were there - that the original Gangers were just 'avatars' for the humans until the storm hit; that the version of the Flesh the humans were using is a more primitive version; and that the Doctor was simply breaking the connection between the real Amy's consciousness and her Flesh duplicate. All it needed to make it clear was for Rory to go "You killed her!" and for the Doctor to say why that wasn't the case, just to join the dots.

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Revolutionist:

Particularly, melting Amy at the end seemed a bit odd after all the "Gangers are people too" stuff - I think it needed to be explained more clearly. All the pieces of information were there - that the original Gangers were just 'avatars' for the humans until the storm hit; that the version of the Flesh the humans were using is a more primitive version; and that the Doctor was simply breaking the connection between the real Amy's consciousness and her Flesh duplicate. All it needed to make it clear was for Rory to go "You killed her!" and for the Doctor to say why that wasn't the case, just to join the dots.

I agree, the ganger was not independently 'human'. It needed Amy's mind to animate it. The doctor did say something along the lines of 'after what we've learned I will be as humane as possible', that's the way you talk when you are putting a pet down, not killing a person. Amy obviously did not realise that she was animating a ganger, the look of horror on her face when she woke up confirmed that.
It still seems a bit cruel although I suppose the doctor was protecting the real Amy, making her wake up.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by GeordieDownSouth:
And my bid is that the "good man" is Rory, not the Doctor. Losing Amy will spur him into action.

I agree. A couple of people have said he's a good man this series, while he was being quietly supportive and heroic. Can't quote chapter and verse, but I think Ganger-Jen did at some point. That seems like enough supporting evidence, without making it too obvious.

I'm in two minds about the episode - I enjoyed it, both as a stand-alone and as part of the wider arc, but only time will tell how well it holds together and makes sense of the rest of the series. I'm expecting lots of further discoveries about the Flesh if the link to the main arc is to make sense, and Jen isn't to go down as another unnecessary use of CGI spoiling an otherwise pretty good story, but my hopes aren't high on the latter score. If I had my way, we'd (eventually) get a catch-up on what the Doctor knew and when, and what happened when in That Meeting at the end as a minimum.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I can't keep up with all the theorising...I just enjoy each show for what it is and hope I'm reminded of the vital bits when it matters...

But, oh! I watched Confidential last night (we'd recorded it) and thought it was dire! There were some short interesting bits, but mostly it seemed to consist of the three main actors wittering on about what Christmas presents they'd got (and we want to know this why?) and an overlong piece about whether Matt Smith and Annoying KG believe in ghosts (conclusion: they don't really know) It was almost a complete waste of time. Did anyone else see it? Am I being overly critical?

The previous week had lots of interesting bits on how to double up actors etc. Problem was that part 2 had the same techiques and no new set or aliens to discuss - so all that was left was the padding, but this bran tub had no prizes in it just the bran...

--------------------

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

quote:
It still seems a bit cruel although I suppose the doctor was protecting the real Amy, making her wake up.

My son thought that was the same reason he let her remain a ganger so long. To protect her from the horrible reality of her helpless situation.

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that was Bow Tie-ish.

Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
swllwmzn
Shipmate
# 12945

- Posted      Profile for swllwmzn   Email swllwmzn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well. Didn't see that coming. Great stuff, really enjoyed it.
Posts: 96 | From: Budleigh Babberton | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I certainly didn't see it coming...

Even after they named her 'Melody'. I did guess they still had the .<deleted spoiler>

and I loved the way they brought all the old characters back in, but I'm going to have to watch it all the way through to see what the apparent non-sequiteurs may have meant. (I was dealing with dinner through a fair bit)

[ 04. June 2011, 18:43: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

Nice enough, in an over the top way.

A nice set of Rory is awesome sections (any more and Amy's turn will be overdue). I'd have preferred it if they didn't play with the cuckoo theme and Rory as scenary theme, but at least when balance is restored you get some good scenes.

A nice set of the Dr is awesome (almost) sections (though he was incorrect about the bloodshed).

Revelation nicely totally obvious in hindsight, and vaguely guessable beforehand (someone did suggest it, but action quick from the final clue-the Williams helped mask it too).

[ 04. June 2011, 18:46: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooh. wasn't it star wars-ish?

I enjoyed it - I did see it coming because I read some spoilers, but might have got it anyway due to the naming.

But really, the sets etc were very very stars wars.

Jen

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'm just relieved River didn't turn out to be some kind of awful people-eating alien, the eyepatch lady, or the Master. The rest of the episode left me somewhat bemused though.

Best bits: the Sontaran nurse, some great lines there.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016