homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Spring 2012 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Spring 2012
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...has a new companion.

What do you all think?

[ 17. June 2016, 14:35: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another pretty young woman, doesn't look very interesting to me but I'll wait and see what the character is like and hope she isn't too annoying. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was my reaction too - pretty, generic, doesn't look very interesting.

But over the years, I suppose most companions have been young pretty women.

M.

Edited to add: it's probably my age.

[ 22. March 2012, 07:42: Message edited by: M. ]

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it was my reaction too - I thought a bit vapid - but when I watched the video clip I found myself liking her as she seemed a bit more focused.

What I'd still like to see is the Doctor with a geeky young male companion who's a complete whiz at computers and anything technological, but is completely hopeless with women. Plenty of scope for enjoyment, sympathy and a possible romantic build-up that for once wouldn't star the Doctor.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She is extremely pretty, isn't she? For a woman, I mean. I haven't seen her acting - she'll have to be good to keep up with Matt Smith.

I suppose if Amy's being written out, that means we lose Rory too? [Frown]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear. Looks like Amy-even-more-lite.

I was kind of hoping for an alien as a travelling companion. Better still a ginger alien.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
She is extremely pretty, isn't she?

Meh. I'd prefer Karen Gillan.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Appearances can be deceiving. When I first saw a picture of Matt Smith, I didn't think he could pull off the part of the Doctor. I was wrong.

Of course, appearances can also be accurate. When I first saw Karen Gillan I didn't think she'd have enough brain cells to put together a coherent thought. I was right.

Still, the new Sweet Young Thing is being promised as a great mystery and being part of the build-up to the 50th Anniversary of the program--so is anybody (apart from me) wondering if she is really the return of Susan in a regenerated form?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Susan has returned once - it was in the Five Doctors special.

Not to stop Moffat re-imagining her though. Hoping the Doctor's Daughter from season 4 puts in an appearance ...since Moffat deliberately saved her from death, rewriting RTDs ending.

Getting increasingly unlikely though.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
What I'd still like to see is the Doctor with a geeky young male companion who's a complete whiz at computers and anything technological, but is completely hopeless with women. Plenty of scope for enjoyment, sympathy and a possible romantic build-up that for once wouldn't star the Doctor.

Please no. We already did that, and got Adric, the most profoundly annoying companion in all of Who. Much as I love the Fifth Doctor, his companions kinda sucked. For all the whinging about Amy, Adric and Nyssa were an order of magnitude than even The Great Reappearing Rose.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Adric was 30 years ago (I agree the memory is grim enough to linger) - could usefully do with being updated. [Devil]

I don't know about you but I'm really tired of what feels like an endless stream of young female companions who fall for the Doctor and provide a lurve interest. Fingers and everything crossable to be crossed that this isn't just another one.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
quote:

Please no. We already did that, and got Adric, the most profoundly annoying companion in all of Who. Much as I love the Fifth Doctor, his companions kinda sucked. For all the whinging about Amy, Adric and Nyssa were an order of magnitude than even The Great Reappearing Rose.
To be fair to Adric, I think Tegan and Turlough were at least as annoying, while Nyssa was rarely given anything to do except be picturesque and wistful - a waste of someone who showed every sign of being a good actress. There seemed to be a policy in the early 80s of sticking a crowd in the TARDIS and then having them bicker all the time. It didn't exactly make for enthralling tv.

I've enjoyed seeing Amy as a companion, though I wouldn't say I like her very much. I also wouldn't say the character has been well written all the time, but when she has been well written, she's had some great scenes and stories. She was fantastic as her older self in The Girl Who Waited, which proved (if anybody still doubted it) that Karen Gillan can really act.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I could be wrong but didn't Tegan have a bit of a thing for the Doctor, cunningly disguised until her final episode?

It would admittedly have been difficult to have had any kind of romantic interest in some of the incarnations of the Doctor but I can understand someone liking the Fifth Doctor.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't know about you but I'm really tired of what feels like an endless stream of young female companions who fall for the Doctor and provide a lurve interest. Fingers and everything crossable to be crossed that this isn't just another one.

What would be really cool is if she turns out to be your raging techie geek in disguise. Seriously, wouldn't THAT be cool? If she falls in love with the TARDIS?

Yeah, I know I'm a giddy dreamer. However, I find a slim thread of hope in the comment that they found someone who can out-talk the Doctor. That's... that... I can't even picture that. Gonna have to see it to believe it.

As for Karen-- Yeah, I don't think they showcased her talents at all. The relegated her to Gal Friday Sidekick. Nobody's gonna shine if that's all they are stuck with.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
As for Karen-- Yeah, I don't think they showcased her talents at all. The relegated her to Gal Friday Sidekick. Nobody's gonna shine if that's all they are stuck with.

I thought the times when she had to act she did it really well, being ably to carry off both weak little girl and action hero.

But being in the same scenes as Matt smith and Arthur Darvill (loved Arthur's acting, disliked Rory) then your tallents are going to be hard to spot.

I like the speculation about Susan or Jenny. But I expect Moffatt has something up his sleve that is new. Whatever that is expect teasers that give nothing away in the run up to the next series.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am grateful there will be another season and I am hopeful about new companion. I am glad to see Amy go. I loved Amelia but think Amy was a bust. I guess it's too much to hope Rory stays. My son ( who has loved all the companions except Amy) said that he hopes she gets turned into a weeping Angell! Ouch. He thought the new companion looked wicked awesome.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My personal prediction is that Amy and Rory will end up downloaded into that computer in the library.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, granted, I still say Karen Gillian's best Who role was as the soothsayer from "Fires of Vesuvius." However, her work in "The Doctor's Wife" was first-rate—though, granted, there aren't many people who can write like Neal Gaiman.

Yes, Adric and Co. were thirty years ago, but I just saw them for the first time last summer (gotta love the Internet!). Teagan was far and away the least annoying of that trio—at least she tried to make herself useful, even if it only worked accidentally!

And the whole "I'm in love with the Doctor" thing has got to stop. Sure, at least with Amy, it kinda worked, what with her being a reformed tart and all, but Rory grew into a suitable love interest—an unassuming guy who, when he finally had a chance to prove himself, rose to the occasion. But Please God, End The Legacy Of Rose!

NO MORE!!!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
My son ( who has loved all the companions except Amy) said that he hopes she gets turned into a weeping Angell!

Oh. That would be heartbreaking. Oh. your kid should write for the show.

Oh.
[Waterworks]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assume, from what we see in Closing Time, that Amy was an aspiring actor (certainly a model, but I don't think children ask for autographs from models?) who was earning a living as a kissogram because if you're an aspiring actor you've got to make ends meet somehow.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked Donna Noble/ Catherine Tate because she wasn't all young and nubile and in love with the Doctor. (Couldn't stand her in the wedding one, but she greatly improved after that.)She had some classic lines and she delivered them magnificently.

Karen is stunningly gorgeous, so I'm sure that keeps the male viewers happy... I liked her well enough. I hope this new one has something a bit interesting about her, though. We shall see...

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Okay, granted, I still say Karen Gillian's best Who role was as the soothsayer from "Fires of Vesuvius." However, her work in "The Doctor's Wife" was first-rate—though, granted, there aren't many people who can write like Neal Gaiman.

Indeed. Karen Gillian showed herself to be able to act - when given a first class script. The Moffatt scripts, the Gaiman script, and The Girl Who waited all showed her in a good light. But give her a mediocre script and I don't think she was able to step up and bring more out of the script than was there.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
Karen is stunningly gorgeous, so I'm sure that keeps the male viewers happy...

Nope. Too skinny. Freema Agyeman is the only really fanciable one of the recent companions.

The new one looks pretty and very young. She seems pretty enough, and definitely better looking than Karen Gillan*. How fanciable she is is down to more than looks though. How she moves and speaks are important too, so I reserve judgement.

*Just one man's opinion, I do not speak for all men.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also hope for the return of the doctor's daughter. As the doctor has only one regeneration left, we will eventually need someone else to carry on. At least I would like to see her return for a few episodes and perhaps get a TARDIS of her own and a suitable companion.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
As the doctor has only one regeneration left, we will eventually need someone else to carry on.

Oh, there are so many loopholes in the regeneration limit (take a bow, Master!) that I don't think we need to worry about them running out of Doctors any time soon.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Russell Davies had the Doctor say he had over five hundred regenerations left in one of the Sarah Jane Adventures.
I watched Survival recently. If I were the Doctor Who producer, which fortunately I am not, the thirteenth Doctor would pass on the mantle to Ace.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

There was a bit in Let's Kill Hitler where River Song gave "all her remaining regenerations" to save the Doctor's life. Maybe that means he's got a few more now.

But as Hedgehog said, there are so many ways of breaking the "limit". Originally it was only a plot device anyway, to explain why the Master needed to steal the Eye of Harmony in The Deadly Assassin.*

----

* All together, now - What other kind of assassin is there!?

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing now is that the Doctor doesn't really know if he'll regenerate again or not - so potentially fatal situations really are potentially fatal for him.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it twelve regenerations, not twelve Doctors?

But anyway, they can always solve the situation by finding the last remaining piece of Gallifreyan Handwavium or something ...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think the limit is really in force at all. It was an arbitrary rule imposed by the bosses of the Timelord gang, last seen disappearing into a rapidly shrinking pocket universe in an alternate version of history. The Doctor is hardly likely to enforce it on himself.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I share the pretty-young-female worries of other posters, but I have a certain degree of trust in Moffat to do something interesting with her. Also, it is worth remembering that Sarah Jane was apretty young female when she started her original tenure, but even her first episode revealed that there was much more to her than that.

On the fantasy side, I'd like to see a companion older than me at some point (I'm roughly David Tennant's age). In that last scene of Donna's tenure when her grandfather comes out of the house with him, I really hoped that the Doctor would ask Bernard Cribbins to join him...

Another one would be Susan coming back in a body noticeably older than the Doctor's.

As for male geeks, I agree the concept deserves another go. Yes, Adric went a bit wrong (although I find him less annoying than some people do, certainly less so than Tegan!), but there have been more successful TV portrayals of techie geeks since, and writers could draw on these as well as trying to avoid past mistakes.

[ 24. March 2012, 14:14: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Deadly Assassin.*

----

* All together, now - What other kind of assassin is there!?

Tha Failed Assassin? [Biased]
Doesn't have the same ring to it somehow...

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
On the fantasy side, I'd like to see a companion older than me at some point (I'm roughly David Tennant's age). In that last scene of Donna's tenure when her grandfather comes out of the house with him, I really hoped that the Doctor would ask Bernard Cribbins to join him...

I think a lot of us felt the same way. I was pleased to see that later on, Wilf did indeed get to be a companion for a while, though not for very long by comparison. It did make a nice change though.
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for this Ariel - I had completely missed the news. Like the rest of you, I fear that she is too pretty to be good, feel that anyone must be an improvement on godawful Gillan, and wish that Rory would stay on. Since I know my last wish will not be fulfilled I'm not optimistic about the first two....

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:

But as Hedgehog said, there are so many ways of breaking the "limit". Originally it was only a plot device anyway, to explain why the Master needed to steal the Eye of Harmony in The Deadly Assassin.*

You forget the Doctor Who TV Movie, AKA "#8 Got Robbed." In the intro, it's specifically stated that you get twelve regenerations/13 lives, and when the last one's up, it's up. Granted, it's not like this whole series is anything but an excuse to make dei ex machinarum seem plausible, so we'll probably get a 14th Doctor, "one little isolated remark" be damned.

[ 24. March 2012, 18:15: Message edited by: AristonAstuanax ]

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great news - no more Pond-life!

Also more a fan of the Donna Noble (no, I'm really not in love with you, Doctor) style of companion. Would be interesting to have a very attractive companion who has absolutely NO romantic inclinations towards Who, either because her interests lie elsewhere, some psycho-physiological quirks or, even better, because she herself is not completely human - or some combination of these.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Please no. We already did that, and got Adric, the most profoundly annoying companion in all of Who.

Nah, for most annoying companion I'd vote for what's-her-name with the really bad fake American accent - you know, the one who sounded like she was doing bad impressions of Judy Garland's accent?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:

Also more a fan of the Donna Noble (no, I'm really not in love with you, Doctor) style of companion. Would be interesting to have a very attractive companion who has absolutely NO romantic inclinations towards Who, either because her interests lie elsewhere, some psycho-physiological quirks or, even better, because she herself is not completely human - or some combination of these.

She could be a lesbian!

Or just a geeky, smart girl who's not interested in romance. It would be a first if a woman like that were portrayed well and respectably on television.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Churchgeek, reading my mind. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Nah, for most annoying companion I'd vote for what's-her-name with the really bad fake American accent - you know, the one who sounded like she was doing bad impressions of Judy Garland's accent?

Peri has to top the All-Time Most Annoying Companion List, basically because she whined so much. With Amy Pond second and Adric third.
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Russell Davies had the Doctor say he had over five hundred regenerations left in one of the Sarah Jane Adventures.

Saw the episode... And it was clear. Loads more regenerations. It was quite a casual comment too. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the series.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Donna was by far my favourite companion of the new series (I haven't watched anything but isolated incidents of the older shows, so I don't really have a feel for any of the companions' personalities) because she wasn't in love with the Doctor and gave as good as she got. I think that was partly the way she was written but also to do with Catherine Tate being a bit more mature than other recent companions (and with her and David Tennant having such wonderful non-romantic chemistry between them ... they are a comedy dream team IMO). I'd love to see that kind of dynamic with a new companion -- which Amy occasionally had, trying to hold her own with the Doctor, but it didn't work as well. Then again I'm much too attached to the Ninth and Tenth Doctors and have never been able to really get into Matt Smith's Doctor, so no matter who the new companion is this next series will lack something for me.

Moffat has said that the episode in which Amy and Rory are written out will feature Weeping Angels and that "not everyone makes it out alive ... and I mean it this time," or words to that effect, but of course he's the master of the misleading spoiler so I don't know how seriously to take any of that.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:

She could be a lesbian!

Or just a geeky, smart girl who's not interested in romance. It would be a first if a woman like that were portrayed well and respectably on television.

WILLOW!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Exactly, and how *&^%ing cool was Willow? That's right!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:

Moffat has said that the episode in which Amy and Rory are written out will feature Weeping Angels and that "not everyone makes it out alive ... and I mean it this time," or words to that effect, but of course he's the master of the misleading spoiler so I don't know how seriously to take any of that.

Can I just say how completely disturbing I find this idea? If they really are going to go down that road, I'm going to need to buy a fifth of Jack Daniels to help me get through the show. Even then it will still completely fuck me up.

One last word on Karen-- she might not be the best actress in the world, but she showed evidence of having some chops. I was rooting for her. I think she scored a couple of the best lines of the entire season spoken by anyone. And as far as some of the (baffling, to me) comments about her looks go, I think she has the face of an angel. No pun intended. Different strokes, I guess.

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

quote:
Exactly, and how *&^%ing cool was Willow? That's right!

not at the start - but she got cooler'n'cooler as things progressed - in fact, imo, she was the most well-continously-developed character in the whole series.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

"Investing in character development" concurrently with "throwing in sexy plot developments" seems to be a developing theme in our collective analysis.

--------------------

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

quote:
She could be a lesbian!

...or asexual/aromantic

quote:

...or romance could just not be relevant - it worked perfectly well in parts of the old series.
Liz Shaw (1970-72) was a high-flying no-nonsense scientist, and her relationship with the Doctor was natural, both close and professional.

It is perfectly possible for two (or more) people of any gender to maintain a close friendship without romantic attraction. Maybe modern television needs to relearn that...

quote:
Peri has to top the All-Time Most Annoying Companion List, basically because she whined so much. With Amy Pond second and Adric third.

Surely Mel would have to top the list, followed, in no particular order by Peri, Tegan, Adric and Tennant-era Rose....

As companions go I think Amy was quite enjoyable...

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

It is perfectly possible for two (or more) people of any gender to maintain a close friendship without romantic attraction. Maybe modern television needs to relearn that...

Yeah, and if anybody seems equipped to help teach that particular lesson, it's Smith. He's like the Vicar of Hug on Earth or something. [Big Grin]

--------------------

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

quote:
quote:

Yeah, and if anybody seems equipped to help teach that particular lesson, it's Smith. He's like the Vicar of Hug on Earth or something. [Big Grin]
Yes, there is a reason why he is one of my favourite doctors (only surpassed by Pertwee, IMHO)
[Yipee]

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016