homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Spring 2012 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Spring 2012
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent] I often access the Ship at work, during breaks. From work there are various threads I'm not able to read - pretty much all of Hell in fact - and I assume this is because they contain words that set off the firewall. However, I can't get onto this thread either. I keep thinking someone must have posted something blistering, then I get home, and all is sweet reason. Has anyone a theory about what is going on? [/tangent]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just guessing but the words "sex appeal" feature on the previous page, which could be a phrase that might trigger off the firewall's alert system?
Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or perhaps your network admin is, in fact, the latest regeneration of The Master!
[Snigger]

[ 29. March 2012, 21:24: Message edited by: Saviour Tortoise ]

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Posts: 745 | From: Bath, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
[tangent] I often access the Ship at work, during breaks. From work there are various threads I'm not able to read - pretty much all of Hell in fact - and I assume this is because they contain words that set off the firewall. However, I can't get onto this thread either. I keep thinking someone must have posted something blistering, then I get home, and all is sweet reason. Has anyone a theory about what is going on? [/tangent]

Someone mentioned Adric, and your firewall had mercy.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

I'm not sure that there's a good place to start with the Classic Series. Probably pick a story with a good reputation and jump in. While no two Doctor Who fans agree on what the best stories are, the following are all highly regarded:

The Invasion (black and white)
The War Games (black and white)
Carnival of Monsters
Genesis of the Daleks
The Brain of Morbius
Robots of Death
Talons of Weng-Chiang
Horror of Fang Rock
City of Death
Remembrance of the Daleks

Good stories all

No Hartnell though. Although some of these are a bit iffy but i think The Aztecs and The Romans are good examples of the historical stories which the series shied away from after that. The Romans story is referenced by DT in the new series.
If you REALLY want the Sci-Fi, Dalek Invasion of Earth is a good one from that era - although a bit padded.

If you want a top Troughton story - i would go with Tomb of the Cybermen rather than The Invasion which i founnd a bit padded.

For a good and fairly typical Pertwee tale i would say that Inferno is a good one, and the Green Death is famous for its maggots (and dodgy model fly).

No argument with the Tom Baker stories , but i would also suggest Caves of Androzani (Davidson) , Curse of Fenric and Ghost Light from the McCoy era.

Struggling with an outstanding Colin Baker episode though. Not his fault, the writers seemed to be trying to kill the series then.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
Someone mentioned Adric, and your firewall had mercy.

You've just mentioned him again. Robert's firewall is probably having a fit.
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the Two Doctors (and it had Servalan/Jacqueline Pearce, of course), from the Colin Baker era. They even got to go to Spain for that one, I think.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's a Dalek?
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I liked the Two Doctors (and it had Servalan/Jacqueline Pearce, of course), from the Colin Baker era. They even got to go to Spain for that one, I think.

Seville, IIRC

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
What's a Dalek?

A recurring enemy. The recurring enemy, really. Mutant creatures, the aftermath of a chemical and atomic war, encased in "travel machines". Each machine is about five feet tall and glides around on a flat base. They can levitate (though for about the first 25 years of the show's history the special effects weren't up to showing this, which gave rise to the running joke that Daleks can subjugate the universe but can't cope with stairs). They've been genetically engineered to be raving xenophobes, bent on "exterminating" all other species. In a telling comment, a Dalek about to go into battle once said, "This is not war. This is pest control."

Having already had several encounters with them, in 1975 the Doctor was sent back in time to try and avert their creation. Someone has made this trailer that shows the basics of that story, usually hailed as one of the best in the show's history. The Daleks' creator, Davros, had never been seen before this story, but has often appeared since - most recently here.

The Daleks haven't always been served by good scripts or production values, but Doctor Who wouldn't exist without them. What started out as a modest kids' sci-fi / history-fi show suddenly became an instant classic when the Daleks first appeared.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:
... Curse of Fenric and Ghost Light from the McCoy era.

Ghost Light is one of the best ever, up there with The Evil of the Daleks (or at least the memory of that classic story as three-quarters of the video has been lost [Frown] )

But the whole of that last year's run is worth watching - its arguably the best year of the show ever, Battlefield, Ghost Light, The Curse of Fenric, and Survival, as good a set of four stories in a row as ever on Who.

The previous McCoy seasons aren't up to that level but Remembrance of the Daleks, the 25th anniversary story, is bloody good. As well as being the backstory to much of the revived series - it really is a battle in the Time War.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What's a Dalek?

The embodiment of postwar Britain's wartime fears, in the same way the Klingons were for America. What could be more frightening to people who had survived the Blitz than Nazis in space?

Of course, the Klingons (like the Japanese) later became friendly in the American popular imagination; the collectivist, assimilationist Borg, however, never really did.* It's also interesting to note that the Borg/Communist equivalent in Who, the Cybermen, may be a "classic" enemy, but still can't compete with the Daleks.

*Yes, I know about Hugh and Seven of Nine, but not only were they exceptions, but the fact that they were very notable exceptions was referenced. Worf? Whatever.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So who would win a war between the Borg and the Daleks?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
What's a Dalek?

The embodiment of postwar Britain's wartime fears, in the same way the Klingons were for America. What could be more frightening to people who had survived the Blitz than Nazis in space?

Of course, the Klingons (like the Japanese) later became friendly in the American popular imagination; the collectivist, assimilationist Borg, however, never really did.* It's also interesting to note that the Borg/Communist equivalent in Who, the Cybermen, may be a "classic" enemy, but still can't compete with the Daleks.

*Yes, I know about Hugh and Seven of Nine, but not only were they exceptions, but the fact that they were very notable exceptions was referenced. Worf? Whatever.

I think the fear of the Japanese was mirrored more in the Romulans, while the Klingons were closer to being identified as the Russians. This tallies with the warming of relations with the Klingons towards the end of the Cold War (the catastrophe at the beginning of The Undiscovered Country can be interpreted as a thinly-disgused Chernobyl).
The Borg seem to resemble a more abstract concept of collectivism (for which probably read Communism), and Hugh and Seven of Nine fit into that interpretation: they can become individuals after being removed from the collective (or "Communist" society).

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:

The Borg.
The Daleks are much less competent than they think they are. [Razz]

Now the Doctor vs. the Borg - that would be an interesting one...

[ 30. March 2012, 20:52: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
quote:

The Borg.
The Daleks are much less competent than they think they are. [Razz]

I think it would end up rather like the Dalek-Movellan war, in which case (under the Doctor's theory) the less competent will win. (The Dalek-Movellan war ended up in a draw because both sides were equally incompetent.)

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daleks beat Borg because they have time-travel.

And because, even though they pretend to be unemotional and strictly scientific, the average Dalek is as emotional as an emotional thing that runs around the universe screaming "No one likes as and we don't care!" while exterminating everything in sight with neutron bombs.

--------------------
Ken

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
And because, even though they pretend to be unemotional and strictly scientific, the average Dalek is as emotional as an emotional thing that runs around the universe screaming "No one likes as and we don't care!" while exterminating everything in sight with neutron bombs.

This. Daleks beat Borg because while the Borg are interested in assimilating other races, the Daleks are only interested in wiping them out. They might use you as slave labour for a bit, and torture you for any useful information you might have, but to a Dalek, any other species is basically as cockroaches are to us - rather revolting, annoyingly ubiquitous, and to be stamped on whenever the occasion arises.

(Actually Daleks beat Borg because Daleks beat Cybermen, and Borg are just Cybermen without the sleek steel armour.)

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Borg did time travel in the 8th Star Trek film.

I suspect that in one to one fighting a Dalek would cane a Borg but when it came to ship to ship fighting I'm not so sure. Borg ships can take a lot of punishment before being destroyed because they can adapt whereas once a Dalek ship takes a serious hit it is finished.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What's a Dalek?

The first thing you have to realise about daleks is that on paper they are utterly laughable. They are giant pepperpots with a sink plunger for an eye, another sink plunger for a hand, and an egg whisk for a gun. We are supposed to believe that they are warmachines inhabited by genocidal tentacled blobs.
The second thing you have to realise is that not only do they work on screen, they are all the more creepy for being something that nobody would believe would work if they didn't see them.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I find the Daleks just as laughable on screen as they sound on paper. This is coming from someone who came to Doctor Who as an adult with no background of watching the original series as a child. I once ranted on a blog about how utterly unscary the Daleks are and what a useless excuse for a threatening alien race (on the same blog where I rated the Borg as my scariest alien race ever) and was highly honoured to get a comment from Rob Shearman (who wrote the 2005 episode "Dalek"), who posted:

quote:
…Got to hold up my hand apologetically – I was the writer who brought back the Daleks in the Christopher Eccleston series. The complaints you raise about them – that they’re ranting pepperpots with a determinedly 1960s design – was, I remember, my principle concern as I worked on the episode! In my defence, I’ll say that in Britain there’s something about Daleks, no matter how retro the look and how unsubtle the dialogue, that’s hard wired into our nostalgic sympathy – and when I went on set at last, after months of scripting, and met my very first Dalek close up in all his saltshaker glory, I couldn’t resist giving the metallic monster a hug.

Of course, I was thrilled to get a comment on my blog from anyone connected with Doctor Who. I really do think there's something about that "hardwired into the nostalgic sympathy" thing for people who grew up watching Classic Who, that makes them work. I'd be interested to know if others who aren't British and didn't watch the classic series, share my contempt for the Daleks.

Incidentally, Rob Shearman didn't directly address my rant, in the same blog post, about the complete ridiculousness of the Slitheen, but he did say:

quote:
I agree with a lot of what you said, too – just don’t tell the BBC!

But then, of course, he didn't write the Slitheen episodes.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Yes Daleks seemed really scary to me as a kid. Even now there is a little thrill or shiver.

Never got that from Cybermen. The original ones were horrible in a very icky way - they looked as if wrapped in slightly moist bandages and had a kind of Frankenstein's Monster feel, as if they really were made of parts of sick people stolen from hospital beds. Their packs were like portable drip feeds. But every redesign has made them more and more like men in shiny armour.

I was glad that the new Who treated the war between the Cybermen and the Daleks correctly. The publicity bigged it up but when the episode was actually broadcast the Daleks basically wiped the floor with them with one plunger tied behind their backs.

--------------------
Ken

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trudy, I'm sorta with you, only instead of laughable I find them adorable. I can, of course, enter into the story and "believe" they're scary, but they do make me want to laugh.

But I love early TV and its limitations and the creativity that required of both the production teams and the viewers. I guess that's part of what I like about the Daleks, and why I'm disappointed with them in the new series, being all polished up and having superpowers (compared to what they had the first time they appeared).

Another thing I liked about them (the earlier version) is that, yes, you could thwart and disable them quite easily, but you had to be clever and sneaky about it. I much prefer that to an enemy that has to be overcome by topping its firepower. That's also what I liked about the Borg - you have to think differently to deal with them.

I was easily scared as a child, but more by creepy things (like some Twilight Zone episodes). I'm still more vulnerable to psychological creepiness. I don't think the Dalek would've scared me as a child, but I can't say for sure. I wonder how much of their frighteningness to children had to do with the voice?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found them reasonably creepy till they colorized them. Then I thought, 'Oh, damn it, someone on the merchandising team is looking for a Duplo tie-in."

And don't even link to the product, I know it's out there.

ETA: Churchgeek, every declaration of Dalek creepiness I have heard seems to center around the voice.

[ 31. March 2012, 19:40: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The voice just sounds shrill and histrionic to me. They have a one-note emotional register. I think one of the things that makes the Borg so creepy to me (not that they don't have a one-note emotional register too) is the humanness.

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Borg did time travel in the 8th Star Trek film.

I suspect that in one to one fighting a Dalek would cane a Borg but when it came to ship to ship fighting I'm not so sure. Borg ships can take a lot of punishment before being destroyed because they can adapt whereas once a Dalek ship takes a serious hit it is finished.

Also, for hand-to-hand combat the Borg's collective intelligence would soon work out how to incapacitate a Dalek.
Think of this statement, repeatedly uttered by defeated Daleks "My vision impaired...I cannot see..."
Admittedly, the weapon causing this is usually a jacket or similar item of clothing, and so may not be available to the Borg. [Biased]

[ 31. March 2012, 23:23: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm kind of picturing one of those cartoons where the short guy is trying to swing his fist at the tall guy, who is holding him at arm's length.

Once again, you gotta appreciate the way hiatus produces creative conversation. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

I am now very much tempted to get out my DVD and watch the Ecclestone "Dalek" episode.

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

And if any outcrop of the Star Drek franchise was ever as good as this, I never saw it.

--------------------
Ken

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(shamefaced glancing about, don't want to be pelted by Sci-fi fans)

Agreed about the series, Ken, but the Borg was pretty kickass.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Oh, and Barclay. Don't nobody say nothin' about my Barclay.)

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I'd put much of DS9 up against NuWho and I think it would come off favourably. Both had their good and bad episodes, but I think the best of both were comparable in quality.

--------------------
Books and things.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

And if any outcrop of the Star Drek franchise was ever as good as this, I never saw it.

--------------------
Ken

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

I have a fondness for the very atypical Deep Space Nine episode: Far beyond the Stars
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I (slightly shamefaced admission for someone in her mid-fifties) went to the Doctor Who exhibition in London last year.

And found myself quite wary of the daleks.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Far Beyond the Stars is one of my favourite DS9 episodes, as well.

Back to the Daleks - they weren't one-note baddies at all! There were at least three emotional states a Dalek could be in. There was the calm, deliberate, order-giving dalek: "Proceed to sector 4 and investigate."
The order-taking dalek (a little higher pitched): "I obey."
And the hysterical Dalek (higher again) "I have failed!"

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is odd, because there are more than three settings on a ring modulator.

A fourth setting is Cyberman.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC has announced that the new companion is in fact the new Doctor, whose 12th regeneration if female.

Next Doctor is female.

I'd check the date on the press release if I were you.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Dude, don't do that, I was grieving. Not about a female Doctor, mind you-- that would be cool-- but not yet! [Waterworks]

it also occurs to me that I am incredibly impressionable and need to work on that...

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

"Paul McGann will be back in Series Two..." Oh, if only.
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

I'm not scared by the Daleks but I do find them very menacing. The Ecclestone story above with just the single Dalek was, in my opinion, awesome.

Like the rest of the Dr Who monsters, I think the most scary Dalek appearances are the ones when they appear in a recognisable (usually contemporary) setting and suddenly the ordinary and every day isn't. It's not how the monster looks but how it appears and is usually a triumph of superb writing.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Really, the Daleks aren't that scary - just the most famous enemy. For me, in the 'classic' series, the Autons were much scarier. And the Silurians story had some very disturbing bits - the scenes where the Silurians had initiated a plague were really very nasty.

Even the new series has had some 'I can't believe they showed that at 7pm' moments. 'Don't turn around...' was pretty good. But I think the most awesomely frightening, disturbing story of all is Midnight. Not just the sinister knocking on the hull of the ship/bus, but the way the 'monster' gets inside people's heads. (But is the real monster someone other than the thing that comes from outside ...?)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
But I think the most awesomely frightening, disturbing story of all is Midnight. Not just the sinister knocking on the hull of the ship/bus, but the way the 'monster' gets inside people's heads. (But is the real monster someone other than the thing that comes from outside ...?)

Absolutely agreed. That was the scariest damn episode in my personal experience. I'd hug a dalek; if I ever see Lesley Sharp walking around my neighborhood, I'll go BRRRR and dive inside the house, quickly.

(Just kidding. She's probably a very nice person. I'd shake her hand and tell her she's hell of an actress.)

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
(Oh, and Barclay. Don't nobody say nothin' about my Barclay.)

Who? Lt. Broccoli? [Angel]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I love Broccoli. Back when being nerdy was still uncool, Broccoli was Nerd Commander-in-Chief. He instantly became a fan beloved, because everyone in the audience went, "THAT'S ME! THAT'S ME!"

Beyond that, I love Dwight Schultz, who originally stole my heart as Murdock on the A-Team. I've gone over this before. I should just put it on my CV and be done with it.

--------------------

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:

Struggling with an outstanding Colin Baker episode though. Not his fault, the writers seemed to be trying to kill the series then.

"Vengeance on Varos" was pretty good I think. Martin Jarvis gave a strong performance. I liked the way the "re-election of the governor" TV voting system was portrayed - seems quite prescient now!
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

So, semi-tangent since I can't really tell this one anywhere else.
I was out walking in town last night with a certain shirt I got from an ex-girlfriend, when I'm stopped by Nyssa.
No really. That was what her mom named her—yes, after that Nyssa.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
So, semi-tangent since I can't really tell this one anywhere else.
I was out walking in town last night with a certain shirt I got from an ex-girlfriend, when I'm stopped by Nyssa.
No really. That was what her mom named her—yes, after that Nyssa.

Best. T-shirt. Ever.

You don't suppose Nyssa's parents were going for the custom of naming a kid after something that was going on when it was conceived, do you?

If they were, she should be glad it was an episode of The Keeper of Traken, and not this bloke.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
The voice just sounds shrill and histrionic to me. They have a one-note emotional register. I think one of the things that makes the Borg so creepy to me (not that they don't have a one-note emotional register too) is the humanness.

When I was first becoming an Episcopalian, it struck me that when the whole congregation was saying something together (like reading a Psalm or praying a post-communion prayer or confession), we sounded like the Borg. [Razz] In the Pentecostal churches of my youth, there was certainly no scripted group reading. Of course the Borg effect only works in liturgy if the sound engineer knows to turn off the presider's/officiant's mic when the congregation is reading together.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

If they were, she should be glad it was an episode of The Keeper of Traken, and not this bloke.

Jesus H. Christ on a crutch. GAHHH! GAHHH! [Eek!]

Screw you, Mr Noseybonk, you've lost your crown.

[ 03. April 2012, 05:43: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

And whaddaymean, "bloke"? That's vagina dentata if I ever saw it.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016