homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: The Doctor is back! (Summer 2012) (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: The Doctor is back! (Summer 2012)
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesss! I've just watched the trailer on the BBC website, and he's definitely back in the autumn (no date given) - but Gordon Bennett, it's chockful of Daleks, dinosaurs, angels... you name it, it seems to be in there [Eek!]

[ 17. June 2016, 14:40: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And they appear to be old-skool Daleks, politely excising "Victory of the Daleks" from history, as is only proper.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oo, haven't seen that trailer yet. Have any dates been confirmed?

I did wonder about resurrecting this thread the other day, when the news broke of the death (too young) of the lovely Mary Tamm, who played Romana in the Key to Time season. Very sad - I'd only watched one of her stories (the gloriously mad Stones of Blood) a couple of weeks before.

[ 02. August 2012, 10:51: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No confirmed dates yet, just 'autumn'.

Yes, it's very sad about Mary Tamm - you get to a certain age, and people start dropping like flies...

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the UK they have been trailing a new series of Merlin in the Autumn as well. One after the other on a Saturday evening, I guess. Unless they are moving the Doctor to midweek again ...

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Were there flashes of River Song in the trailer?

I hope not: I liked her but surely her time is over.

[ 02. August 2012, 12:14: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the series is as good as the poster and the trailer, we're in for a real treat. [Yipee] But the poster and the trailer have lied to us before. [Waterworks]

Time to hoover behind the sofa. [Biased] Bring.It.On.

Tubbs

[ 02. August 2012, 12:16: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*Slightly spoilery alert*
- but only to those who haven't been following the news since the last series.

I've looked at the Doctor Who website front page, and in that picture I can see Daleks that seem to be from The Dead Planet, Resurrection of the Daleks, Revelation of the Daleks (the "Special Weapons Dalek"), the 2005 series and the New Dalek Paradigm. It links to a news story that came out a few months ago. Hmm ...

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
*Slightly spoilery alert*
- but only to those who haven't been following the news since the last series.

I've looked at the Doctor Who website front page, and in that picture I can see Daleks that seem to be from The Dead Planet, Resurrection of the Daleks, Revelation of the Daleks (the "Special Weapons Dalek"), the 2005 series and the New Dalek Paradigm. It links to a news story that came out a few months ago. Hmm ...

What news story where? You can PM me if you think it's too big a spoiler to post.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
What news story where? You can PM me if you think it's too big a spoiler to post.

Tubbs

That EVERY type of Dalek will be included in at least one episode, including those from the Peter Cushing films.

Which seems odd, as the Cushing films were about a man called Doctor Who who invented a time machine. The BBC TV series is about The Doctor, a Time Lord. No continuity at all.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
Which seems odd, as the Cushing films were about a man called Doctor Who who invented a time machine. The BBC TV series is about The Doctor, a Time Lord. No continuity at all.

One of the Cushing props made an appearance in "Planet of the Daleks", so it's allowable.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking forward to the new series, but I hope Moffat works a bit harder at making the storylines hang together logically, and avoiding cop-outs like the Tesselecta in the finale.

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
In the UK they have been trailing a new series of Merlin in the Autumn as well. One after the other on a Saturday evening, I guess. Unless they are moving the Doctor to midweek again ...

Doctor Who is probably starting on August 25th, and the autumn run is only 5 episodes. Merlin will probably run from the beginning of October to Christmas. The Doctor Who Christmas special introduces the new companion, and then there are 8 more episodes in the spring. And come November 2013, the 50th anniversary celebrations!
Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

Roll on the autumn, then - not only the Doctor and Merlin, but True Blood is back on FX...if only Sherlock & John return soon then my cup of happiness truly runneth over [Yipee]

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
quote:

Tubbs

That EVERY type of Dalek will be included in at least one episode, including those from the Peter Cushing films.

Thank you. That's great news. I love the Peter Cushing films.I know they're not strictly speaking canon, but they're the nearest we'll ever likely to get to the lost Hartnell episodes.

Tubbs

[Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

*engage geek mode*

Actually, the stories on which the Cushing movies are based still exist. The Daleks is a classic - good plot, and great design and direction. The director's trick of making the Daleks look menacing by using really low camera angles was used in virtually every classic series Dalek story thereafter. The city is claustrophobic, the forest creepy. And Jacqueline Hill as Barbara pulls off the near impossible task of making being menaced by a sink plunger look really scary. The Dalek Invasion of Earth is, I think, much less successful. It tries to do action and big scale stuff, and fails. The Cushing movie does those things far better.

*disengage geek mode*

Personally, I think a good Dalek script is a very rare thing. I think the new series has a better batting average than the classic, but let's face it - there's only so much you can do with a bunch of hysterical xenophobic tin cans. Fingers crossed for Mr Moffat ...

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I love the Peter Cushing films.I know they're not strictly speaking canon, but they're the nearest we'll ever likely to get to the lost Hartnell episodes.

(Adeodatus has already pointed out that the relevant Hartnell stories do still exist.)

Both Russell Davies and Stephen Moffat have said in the past that everything is canon and if there's a contradiction that's just because you didn't see the adventure in which the Doctor goes back in time and changes it.

Many fans draw the line at Curse of Fatal Death, and nearly all fans draw the line at A Fix with Sontarans and Dimensions in Time.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Personally, I think a good Dalek script is a very rare thing.

If you omit all dalek stories by Terry Nation and all dalek stories by Eric Saward you're left with three of the all time classics of Doctor Who and one not quite classic but still good.

So I think the difficulty of getting a good dalek script in the classic series is more down to the failings of Terry Nation as a scriptwriter when he didn't have Robert Holmes script editing him.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was excited about this, but having watched the trailer I feel very deflated. I thought RTD proved to almost universal satisfaction that throwing ever more Daleks at a story doesn't make it better. The Weeping Angels have been ruined as a threat since Blink, ironically by continually giving them more powers and greater numbers, because you just know there's going to be some plot cheat. They were scarier when they had weaknesses, and now it's just getting silly. Less is more.

The significant amount of Wild West imagery and the huge number of explosions leaves me in no doubt that this is another series which will be cravenly chasing the US market, continuing to turn a once-great British icon into another identikit franchise. Dinosaurs on a spaceship sounds interesting, but I have a nasty feeling that it'll turn out to be a story written around that tagline, rather than a good story that happens to have a hook. I hope I'll be wrong, but my hopes aren't high.

If the last couple of series are anything to go by, the best material will be the stuff that barely (if at all) made it into the trailer, because that comes from simple, cheap standalone episodes with small budgets, very little CGI (so no exciting whizzbangs), in fact nothing to hide behind if the script's shoddy or nonsensical. That's where Who belongs, and that's still what it's best at.

As for the hints of catastrophe and death, Moffat has form for crying "wolf", so I'm just not bothered. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. He's pushed it too far with his misdirection, lame resolutions and some outright lies. I just can't bring myself to feel anything about yet another "oh noes teh world is ending" teaser.

Once again, it looks like I'm the Eeyore. Have at me.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
As for the hints of catastrophe and death, Moffat has form for crying "wolf", so I'm just not bothered. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. He's pushed it too far with his misdirection, lame resolutions and some outright lies. I just can't bring myself to feel anything about yet another "oh noes teh world is ending" teaser.

Once again, it looks like I'm the Eeyore. Have at me.

No, I think you're right. I think this is one of the worst things about Moffat. (One of the worst things, that is, about someone who does lots of very good things indeed.) The twisty, windy, multiple-misdirection convoluted storylines have been, for me, quite tedious at times. But I did get the impression at the end of the last series of a possible change of direction - a time during which the Doctor tries to let the Universe believe he doesn't exist any more.

We should probably bear in mind, too, that what was available to go in the trailer was what happened to be finished from a series that's still in post-production. Watching the trailer, I reckoned that the content could be from as few as three episodes. So the Wild West stuff could be only one episode. (It looked to me like they were going for a remake of Westworld!)

I've noticed that with some of the stories of the Moffat era, I've liked them more as time goes on. One example is last season's The God Complex, which at the time I didn't like at all. Now, not only do I think it's very good, I also think it's quite disturbing. This "delayed appreciation" isn't something I got much of with RTD's stories.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
*engage geek mode*

Actually, the stories on which the Cushing movies are based still exist. The Daleks is a classic - good plot, and great design and direction. The director's trick of making the Daleks look menacing by using really low camera angles was used in virtually every classic series Dalek story thereafter. The city is claustrophobic, the forest creepy. And Jacqueline Hill as Barbara pulls off the near impossible task of making being menaced by a sink plunger look really scary. The Dalek Invasion of Earth is, I think, much less successful. It tries to do action and big scale stuff, and fails. The Cushing movie does those things far better.

*disengage geek mode*

Personally, I think a good Dalek script is a very rare thing. I think the new series has a better batting average than the classic, but let's face it - there's only so much you can do with a bunch of hysterical xenophobic tin cans. Fingers crossed for Mr Moffat ...

Sorry, mis-remembered and thought one of the films was based on Dalek Master Plan - which is lost. [My inner geek needs to get with the fact checking!]

Wish they'd revive some of the other monsters from the classic series and give the daleks a holiday.

Tubbs

[ 03. August 2012, 15:31: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've noticed that with some of the stories of the Moffat era, I've liked them more as time goes on. One example is last season's The God Complex, which at the time I didn't like at all. Now, not only do I think it's very good, I also think it's quite disturbing. This "delayed appreciation" isn't something I got much of with RTD's stories.

Although I liked the show well enough when it aired, I had the same reaction of liking it more the more I thought about it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, it's a trailer. Are you going to throw in armies of Daleks? Sure! Who doesn't want to see the Doctor get out of that one? Are you going to show that you're bringing back the Mara? Of course not—nobody'd ever see that one coming, so save it for the episode.

Trailers, pre-season publicity, and, well, even last year's first twenty minutes are all about telling lies, misdirecting, and making things look exciting. You know they're not telling you the important parts of the story—that's what they want you to stick around for.

As for Who being consistently good with low-budget, no SFX, plot-driven classics . . . need I say more?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I kinda miss those days, although I admit I haven't seen many of the old eps. It gives a public TV nerd a swell of hope to see the myriad uses of egg cartons and old car fenders.

[ETA: come to think of it, it also appeals to the preschool teacher in me...]

[ 03. August 2012, 19:04: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
Also, it's a trailer. Are you going to throw in armies of Daleks? Sure! Who doesn't want to see the Doctor get out of that one? Are you going to show that you're bringing back the Mara? Of course not—nobody'd ever see that one coming, so save it for the episode.

Trailers, pre-season publicity, and, well, even last year's first twenty minutes are all about telling lies, misdirecting, and making things look exciting. You know they're not telling you the important parts of the story—that's what they want you to stick around for.

Yes and no. A trailer should excite you, and evidently it's achieved that for most, but I can't get that excited about it. Legions of Daleks haven't been very exciting for years (after Canary Wharf and their bizarre plan to destroy the entire universe - WTF was that about?), and Moffat said as recently as last year that the Daleks were going to be parked for a long time. So much for that.
quote:
As for Who being consistently good with low-budget, no SFX, plot-driven classics . . . need I say more?
Yes, I think you do. I didn't say Who was consistently good with low-budget stuff (although I think it's generally been pretty decent, because that's all it had to work with), but it is what the show's always been about, and over the last few series, that's where the best episodes have come from.

In the last three series, Midnight, Amy's Choice and The Girl Who Waited have been right up there among my absolute favourite episodes, even though they were all very simple. I didn't really get on with Vincent and the Doctor, but lots of people loved it. And that's without mentioning Blink. You don't need masses of CGI to make a decent episode, just a good idea. I feel like that basic truth is being lost under the possibility of panning across several million CGI Daleks.

[ 03. August 2012, 21:12: Message edited by: The Great Gumby ]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Looking at the trailer, and the title, and the fact that we're supposed to be seeing all the dalek models from the history of the program, I suspect that the hook of the episode is something a bit more complicated than oh look lots of daleks. In the same way that Remembrance is more than just a fun run around with daleks. Asylum looks like it could be about the history of the daleks in the program or about what the daleks say about the Doctor.
The trailer finishes announcing that somebody, possibly the Doctor, has killed all the daleks. If it's merely an oh look legions of daleks story, that's a bit skipping ahead to the end.

--------------------

The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given what happened the last time one generation of Daleks met another (the less 'pure' ones were exterminated), having every generation of them in one place might not be the most stable congregations.

I've had it with these dinosaurs on a space-ship.

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Broadcast dates?

Series six opener, "Let's Kill Hitler" was given a preview at the Edinburgh International Film Festival and was broadcast a day later.

"Asylum of the Daleks" is expected to be shown at this years Festival, (August 23 - 25)so if the same pattern in followed to prevent spoilers getting out, expect it to be televised on August 25th.

OTOH I could be wrong.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Far too much Amy in the trailer, but apparently she disappears halfway through the series. Sadly Rory is meant to go as well, but anything is a price worth paying to see the back of her.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Far too much Amy in the trailer, but apparently she disappears halfway through the series. Sadly Rory is meant to go as well, but anything is a price worth paying to see the back of her.

Why? I find ginger hair and Scottish accents quite sexy.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

... especially when they belong to Vincent van Gogh [Biased]

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vincent could act.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:

Why? I find ginger hair and Scottish accents quite sexy.
With you on that, only now have got the Season Five boxset at a nice price and loved Amy's wedding speech in episode 13: "AND YOU'RE LATE FOR MY WEDDING-AH!" Wonderfully mad. Do love the Amy/Rory dynamic.

[ 04. August 2012, 23:01: Message edited by: Ronald Binge ]

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, yeah, don't know if I can be bothered with the new series, really. We've had Daleks to overdose before - what was that one where they all poured through a cleft in the sky and swarmed all over the planet? However, Amy's departure can only improve the series.

Merlin, OTOH, I will definitely be looking forward to and if they bring back Sherlock, my cup of happiness will be complete too, best thing on telly for years.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently there is to be an announcement at midnight re the casting of someone 'iconic' for the new season. Anyone know who it might be?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok bizarre triple post. Please could a Host kindly delete the two extras?

(So done).

[ 05. August 2012, 20:30: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Apparently there is to be an announcement at midnight re the casting of someone 'iconic' for the new season. Anyone know who it might be?

It's
Richard E Grant. Which is lovely. Good actor. Charismatic. But on the other hand, it doesn't do much good if you don't know who he's playing. He's a bit tall to fit inside a Dalek.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Surely he's playing the Doctor again.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Famous actor? Playing the Doctor again? Can it please be Rowan Atkinson?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Surely he's playing the Doctor again.

The Master is mentioned in the trailer....

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Aren't you getting confuzzed with Paul McGann?

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

As well as a Comic relief special, "The curse of fatal death" Richard E Grant has played the Doctor on the BBCi webcast Scream of the Shalka.So on hearing that Richard E Grant was the mystery celebrity, I can only wonder if he is to play the Doctor in an alternate form.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

OK, I sit corrected. Are these apparitions canonical though?

--------------------

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who cares? (See what I did there [Big Grin] )
Seriously, Richard E Grant? Whooohooo!
I hope he plays a baddy, he makes a brilliant baddy.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:

Scream of the Shalka is canonical. Grant played the 8th Doctor, so I can see where your confuddlement with McGann came from.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
quote:

Scream of the Shalka is canonical. Grant played the 8th Doctor, so I can see where your confuddlement with McGann came from.
Grant played the Ninth Doctor. So did Eccleston.

Everything is canon in Doctor Who.
Except Noddy. Noddy doesn't exist.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is exciting! I won't be able to see any of it till it's available on Netflix, at which point I'll devour it in a few sittings.

Personally, I hate the episodes with threats of the world coming to an end - they usually have too much CGI and some kind of Doctor ex machina resolution. My absolute least favorite was that one where the Master trapped the Doctor in a cage and Martha Jones walked the earth teaching everyone to think, "Doctor, Doctor, Doctor..." until somehow all those people thinking "Doctor" brought him back. That was so terribly, terribly corny.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

HATED. That ep.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
The significant amount of Wild West imagery and the huge number of explosions leaves me in no doubt that this is another series which will be cravenly chasing the US market, continuing to turn a once-great British icon into another identikit franchise.

I certainly hope not. I hate what was done to Torchwood (though that wasn't a "once-great British icon"). That season/series that was placed in the US wasn't bad in itself, but it kinda ruined Torchwood, if that makes any sense. Then again, what might have ruined Torchwood was this weird seeming attempt to stitch it onto Christian themes. It doesn't map exactly, of course, but there's a lot of similarities.

In the last season set in the UK, we had Owen cast as a Judas/Peter figure who is forgiven after Jack returns from the dead, and just about everyone who remains loyal to Jack (including Owen) ends up killed. At the end of that season, Jack ascended into heaven, leaving Gwen looking up into the sky. Then, in the next season, he gets Gwen (his remaining crew) to leave family behind and head out into the ends of the earth, where they pick up new followers. And it turns out Jack's blood has the power to grant immortality. Oh, and his blood saves the whole world. (Any themes I'm missing?)

Actually, even though I think they ruined Torchwood, I'd kinda like to see where they would go from there, after what's-his-name (Mekhi Phifer's character) becomes immortal like Jack. Is there any word of whether Torchwood might come back or if it is finished?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I've always thought that the reason for an American immortal in Torchwood is so that we can have two series, the Welsh one and the spin off American one.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
quote:

Grant played the Ninth Doctor. So did Eccleston.

Everything is canon in Doctor Who.
Except Noddy. Noddy doesn't exist.

"Paul McGann doesn't count." (And that must be right because it's a quote from Queer as Folk!)

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016