homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: The Doctor is back! (Summer 2012) (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: The Doctor is back! (Summer 2012)
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TGG, I agree with a lot of what you said, especially, "If this is a sign that the Doctor's going back to being a cosmic hobo and meddler, without all the messianic baggage, I'll be very happy". The way the Doctor punished the Family of Blood rang alarms for me, even at the time. It sounded great, but when did he acquire the power the power to imprison people in mirrors etc? However, I still reckon the last 6 episodes of Martha* were a sustained high point, because of the way the details linked in together to form an effective finale. And one of the many reasons why Martha is my favourite new companion is that she is the only one to save the day without being given superpowers. Instead of becoming one-with-the-Tardis, or anything like that, she slogged around the world with good old fashioned grit and determination.

* since we can't seem to agree on what number that season was

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if he couldn't go back directly to 1938, couldn't he go back a bit later? In an earlier incarnation he spent a lot of time on Earth in the 1960s and 1970s, surely he could pop over to New York and catch up with them.

I know that was an earlier incarnation and he didn't know the Ponds then, but he could surely go now?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read it that the angels kept sending them back in time, maybe every year, or even less, so they were permanently stuck in one short period. This is how the angels feed off them.

Because this fractures time, and the interventions, not to mention the paradox, from this episode had brought it close to collapse, any further intervention into this brief period will cause devastation. Although it doesn't entirely explain how Melody got her book out, that seems like less of a problem.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, just to settle the dispute before it gets truly Whovian: Series 3, with Martha Jones, is also known as Season 29.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Timey-wimey loopholes I can sort of accept because it's Tradition™ in Who to make that bit up as you go along. What I don't really get is the way Weeping Angels are actually supposed to be dangerous. Creepy, yes. Unusual, yes. Requiring a bit of thought, maybe.

Daleks are dangerous for various reasons. Dalekanium armour and shields make them hard to kill. High tech weaponry, numbers and uniform ruthlessness gives them considerable offensive capability. Despising all other life-forms means you're probably not going to get on very well with any of them. But Weeping Angels? Their one defence is this "quantum-locking" thing that makes them invulnerable when somebody's looking at them. So lob a hand grenade and close your eyes.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rory and Amy stayed in New York (presumably) and were buried there. They could have gone back to the UK or anywhere in the world. Spin-off series, anyone?

Am I right in hearing that River/Melody was released because there was no longer any sign that the Doctor had existed so she couldn't have killed him. Is this something that Oswin Oswald did when she made the Daleks forget him?

And will Davros and/or Dalek Caan remember him?

[ 03. October 2012, 12:54: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love* the weeping angels and Blink was and still is my favourite episode (hence the sig!), but I still can't quite fathom (remember?) why they went from zapping people back into the past, to breaking their necks while trapped on the ship, and now they're back to doing what the angels are supposed to be known for?

*English really is inadequate sometimes and especially when it comes to the word 'love'!

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
Rory and Amy stayed in New York (presumably) and were buried there. They could have gone back to the UK or anywhere in the world. Spin-off series, anyone?

As long as it's not Torchwood ...
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Am I right in hearing that River/Melody was released because there was no longer any sign that the Doctor had existed so she couldn't have killed him. Is this something that Oswin Oswald did when she made the Daleks forget him?

I think it was more an inspiration kind of thing. The Doctor knew he needed a lower profile and then, when Oswin managed to make him a stranger to the Daleks, it struck him that he could go around erasing himself from other databases too. We are told that he has been spending a lot of time traveling alone (in between visits with the Ponds), which would give him plenty of time to be fiddling with databases.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
And, just to settle the dispute before it gets truly Whovian: Series 3, with Martha Jones, is also known as Season 29.

That means there were 26 seasons of the original Doctor. 26 is half of 52 - exactly half a year. Could this be reference to the "half a time" of
Revelation 12.14? Is Doctor Who a sign of the Apocalypse?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

So I was right, then!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

I think it was more an inspiration kind of thing. The Doctor knew he needed a lower profile and then, when Oswin managed to make him a stranger to the Daleks, it struck him that he could go around erasing himself from other databases too. We are told that he has been spending a lot of time traveling alone (in between visits with the Ponds), which would give him plenty of time to be fiddling with databases.
Interesting. I thought the whole point of his faked death in the last series was that he could just "not exist" for a bit so that the entire universe wasn't after him, and have been interpreting everything in that light. But now I think about it, he started this series biting on the hook of a Dalek-drone sent specifically to fetch him for the suicide mission to the asylum, and it was only after his escape that the Daleks didn't recognise him, he wasn't in Solomon's database, and so on. I'm not sure what to make of that.

But I'm still annoyed (probably irrationally) by the careless way River's timelines are sometimes ridiculously tangled, and sometimes neatly linear. She travels in time, he travels in time, but somehow, the first time he meets her after her release (and it appeared to be the first time she met him as well) is just after whatever happened to erase him from history. How convenient.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
But I'm still annoyed (probably irrationally) by the careless way River's timelines are sometimes ridiculously tangled, and sometimes neatly linear. She travels in time, he travels in time, but somehow, the first time he meets her after her release (and it appeared to be the first time she met him as well) is just after whatever happened to erase him from history. How convenient.

They are overly casual about things like that--but then, in the classic series, I always wondered why the Doctor and the Master, both traveling in time, somehow always managed to meet up in linear order.

Having said that, and trying to inject a little retroactive continuity, when the Doctor (10th) first meets River in The Library, there is no indication that she is there on prison work release or anything of that nature. For that reason, it could be argued that the Doctor has always known that River would eventually be released from prison. And now he knows why.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
But I'm still annoyed (probably irrationally)

Just say "Timey-wimey" ten times quickly and have a few beers. The feeling will soon go away.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That seriously needs to be a t-shirt.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For that reason, it could be argued that the Doctor has always known that River would eventually be released from prison. And now he knows why.

Like I said, he's a momzer.

I like Smith, and love the heart and passion he's brought to the role. I liked Tennant, too, for that matter. But The Doctor himself is someone who I would have pushed out of the TARDIS long ago if I were stuck with him long enough. He (as a character) is charming and entertaining for exactly one hour, in weekly intervals. After that, the Christ/ Peter Pan complex combined with "Rule Number One" would start to get to me.Hit about three hours and I could see my axe-hand getting twitchy.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So ... we're NOT voting for Kelly for the next Companion, then?

Too bad. I would so watch that.

Actually I could imagine your tenure as Companion being similar to Donna's, since I think she had many of the same reactions you describe -- which is why she was my favourite Companion by far.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

How about a six-foot big blue bunny with a you-know what, and me doing voiceover? [Big Grin]

Kel// it would have to be blue.

//And Donna was my favorite, too, for the above stated reasons.

[ 03. October 2012, 19:51: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
But The Doctor himself is someone who I would have pushed out of the TARDIS long ago if I were stuck with him long enough. He (as a character) is charming and entertaining for exactly one hour, in weekly intervals. After that, the Christ/ Peter Pan complex combined with "Rule Number One" would start to get to me.Hit about three hours and I could see my axe-hand getting twitchy.

Reverting to Classic Who, one of the reasons I genuinely love watching the first season of the series with William Hartnell is that the Doctor clearly irritates (and is irritated by) Ian & Barbara. He is dictatorial, which ruffles their feathers (although one or the other usually plays peacemaker with the other). But, under the set-up of the show then, they could not really get rid of the other. The Doctor literally could not get them back home because he couldn't control the TARDIS that well. As such, Ian & Barbara were stuck with him whether they liked it or not because he was the only hope that they could get back home.

And that is what made the end of The Chase so great. Ian & Barbara finally find a way to get home that does NOT depend on the TARDIS, and the Doctor is clearly hurt that they want to leave him because, for all the irritation and arguments, he has grown to like having them around. While he was still a prickly, irritable, cantankerous old man--he had become a much better person because of his time with Ian & Barbara.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hence Amy's comment of "Don't travel alone for too long."

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Ian & Barbara finally find a way to get home that does NOT depend on the TARDIS, and the Doctor is clearly hurt that they want to leave him because, for all the irritation and arguments, he has grown to like having them around.

Now I feel bad.

OK, my dream companion would be a combination parole officer/ shrink assigned bu UNIT or Torchwood or whoever, and their relationship would consist of the kind of provisional suspension of dislike that allows people who hate each other to function efficiently.

Maybe somewhere around mid-season she cracks a smile at one of his jokes, but he gets so hysterically joyful about it she instantly regrets it.

Not that I think about it much.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Really? One week.

Wow ... we used to be about 6 months - 6 years behind ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Really? One week.

Wow ... we used to be about 6 months - 6 years behind ...
Actually, we're not even one week behind. The episodes have been popping up on iView at about 6am on a Sunday morning our time. One week is just if you wait to watch it on television...

Which I did this time around. I was very good and managed to avoid seeing anything about it all week. Although, really, the general arc was fairly obvious.

Things I loved: River. Absolutely, it was River. Things like her writing books and the Doctor manufacturing vases with YOWZAH on them are just loads of fun, and Alex Kingston can pull off the necessary shifts from mischievous to serious.

Also did enjoy the Angels being back to more like their Blinking selves.

And did also enjoy a lot of the emotional content. However, there were points where they overdid it. Slow motion falls with swelling music are a sign that you don't actually trust your script/actors. And to be honest, they've been laying on the "Amy and Rory love each other" material in a somewhat peculiar fashion for a number of episodes. Yes, sure, they are soulmates. But does that mean they need to express it like sentimental Hallmark cards at times? Sometimes it's convincing, sometimes it simply isn't.

I also didn't love the business with doors opening by themselves and lifts operating by themselves. Do we really need the angels to be doing that? And the Statue of Liberty business was really quite pointless.

A bit of a curate's egg, but it seems so MANY episodes are.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh. Just saw that Neil Gaiman is set to write another episode. Hooray!

Also saw that Mark Gatiss is doing another one. Somewhat less keen about that...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Gaiman rocks. There's a guy who can combine good old sci-fi flash with loving attention to character.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Slow motion falls with swelling music are a sign that you don't actually trust your script/actors.

THANK YOU.

(One more Doctor character gripe-- the name dropping. Arrgggh! The name dropping. You tell me, if you were at a party and someone other than a 1000- year -old Timelord were doing that, would you find it pretty? Personally, I don't care what the hell planet you come from, I'm taking my martini and seeking a different conversation.)

(Again, I Love Hiatus. [Big Grin] )

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Also saw that Mark Gatiss is doing another one. Somewhat less keen about that...

Gatkiss is doing two.

Others announced, Steven Moffat, two episodes.
Neil Cross ans Neil Gaiman, one episode each.
Two episodes TBA.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Watching the Angels again.

Was wondering why on earth Rory would wander into that building. Then I realised: unlike Amy, Rory has never encountered the Angels before.

Neat, I thought.

But then a bit of Wikipedia research pointed out that he sorta kinda did, in 'The God Complex'. But not proper ones...

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Anyone tempted to buy this to fill in the long wait until the series recommences? (And is it only available in the States?)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Roll Eyes] Jesus wept.

(and fuck yeah, I 'd go to that game night.)

[ 10. October 2012, 19:29: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Go on - you know you're tempted.....

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

Gatkiss is doing two.

Others announced, Steven Moffat, two episodes.
Neil Cross ans Neil Gaiman, one episode each.
Two episodes TBA.

That Neil Cross who did Luther and Spooks?! Ohhhh interesting. I like Mark Gatkiss in Sherlock and Gentleman but his Doctor Who stuff, not so much. Glad too see that Gaiman's back

[Yipee]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
(And is it only available in the States?)

I've seen that in the shops here, although with Matt's Doctor, Amy and Rory on the cover.

[ 10. October 2012, 20:31: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is available fro Amazon in the UK (and has just gone on my Christmas list [Smile] )
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC has now released an unfilmed piece of script about what happened to Brian: Brian

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Watched the first 15 seconds of that clip. Schmalzy music, Doctor with his arms draped round Amy and Rory making emotional speech, Brian looking uncomfortable - I had to stop it or I would have vomited. Glad the BBC had the sense not to broadcast it originally.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Watched the first 15 seconds of that clip. Schmalzy music, Doctor with his arms draped round Amy and Rory making emotional speech, Brian looking uncomfortable - I had to stop it or I would have vomited. Glad the BBC had the sense not to broadcast it originally.

Yeah, except the first 15 seconds wasn't the unfilmed bit!

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

I did wonder about that. However, I won't be going back to see the rest of the clip. While I enjoy trivia about true-Who, my appetite for nu-Who has limits.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone answer a geekier-than-thou question for me? Do we know why some Timelords are happy to use names (Rassilon, Morbius, Romana) but some only use titles (the Doctor, the Master, the Corsair)?

And why some names are so secret (like the Doctor's, though possibly we are getting into the first question that must never be asked territory here).

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Do we know why some Timelords are happy to use names (Rassilon, Morbius, Romana) but some only use titles (the Doctor, the Master, the Corsair)?

It's never been officially explained. All the Timelords seen actually on Gallifrey have names rather than titles, I believe; whereas the Master and the Doctor are largely operating outside official Timelord society. So the implication is that giving up their name is something a Timelord does when they go renegade.
Morbius is a bit problematic for the theory but he started out trying to take over Gallifrey from within so he may never have considered himself a renegade. (Or it's not actually his name.)

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the clip about Brian.
I cried.
It was a beautiful ending, harking back to Blink.
I think Chris Chibnall is a very good writer, and Arthur Darvill read it perfectly.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seconded [Tear]

[ 13. October 2012, 14:25: Message edited by: Pine Marten ]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yeah, except the first 15 seconds wasn't the unfilmed bit!
Yes, that bit was included, and very good. The extra bit could have done without the music, which was rather overpowering. But the scenes were stunning, and I would have liked to have seen them do that. I suspected that something of this nature might have happened, with or without the grandson.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, Dafyd, thank you, good thought.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say I loved the PS bit. Yes, the music was a bit much, but I found it genuinely moving, and thought Rory narrated beautifully. Slight sob.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

Find out your renegade Time Lord name

I'm sure there are plenty of these about.

My Ship name returns "The Eye".

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine is Gormasmus [Eek!] and my previous Ship name translates as Demacrex, which I think I prefer...

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

My Ship Name comes back as "The Mathematician"--which is about as accurate for me as the Meddling Monk being a monk.

--------------------

vascopyjama
Shipmate
# 1953

- Posted      Profile for vascopyjama   Email vascopyjama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a bit worried about my renegade status...

The Traffic Warden

Thinks for a minute.... Perhaps the site is not serious. My Niece is now Craig....

[ 15. October 2012, 13:41: Message edited by: vascopyjama ]

--------------------
Behold the duck. The scent of a wet dog. The familiar ahh of your own bed. Things to ponder.

Posts: 298 | From: The Sea of Turbidity | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You should worry - my renegade TimeLord name comes out as The Trouser Meddler! [Ultra confused]

However, much nicer, my RL name comes out as The Liberator!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016