homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: The Doctor is back! (Summer 2012) (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: The Doctor is back! (Summer 2012)
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Have we forgotten that the rubber snake in "Kinda" bore some of the blame for the series' cancellation?

Aren't you thinking of the myrka in Warriors of the Deep? The rubber snake was a poor visual in an otherwise brilliant story; the myrka was an obvious symptom of a story in which it wasn't clear why anyone ever thought anything was a good idea.

Nope, I was thinking of the snake, but thanks for reminding me about the lumbering underwater dinosaur. I'm pretty sure both got blamed, though.

As usual, the TARDIS Eruditorium has something to say about the "Warriors of the Deep" era and its love of "base under siege" stories; apparently, that's what the hard-core fandom loved. None of the character development or soap opera aspects (which, granted, could have been done better—by the time someone figured out which end was the head, which one the ass, we'd gotten to "Planet of Fire," and #5 stepped in a spectrox nest the very next story) really appealed to this constituency, so it was all besieged bases, all the time!

Which may explain the popularity of "Earthshock." It's a great example of taking a not-that-great story and throwing Cybermen and the death of a pretty annoying and underdeveloped character at it in the hopes people think it's good. I don't care what the fan polls think (seriously, better than anything in Key to Time? Better than any other 5th Doctor story other than Androzani? Heck, better than the deliciously camp "Horns of Nimon?"), "Earthshock" belongs 19 from the other end of that 200 best stories poll, down with "Warriors of the Deep."

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if the TARDIS Eruditorum mentioned this, but another major problem with Warriors of the Deep was that it was a story where an old enemy was brought back just for the sake of bringing an old enemy back. If you think about it, the story would have worked just as well - probably better - with a whole new enemy. In fact the Silurians and Sea Devils were subjected to so much retconning that they might as well have been a new enemy. Even more irksome, then, that the new series did the same again - and with the same enemy! Rewrote and redesigned the Silurians again! Neither time did the writers or producers notice that even the first time around, the Silurians weren't that great. Their story was magnificent - an all-time classic - but it really said all that ever needed to be said about them.

This is something the show often gets wrong (and got very wrong in the early and mid eighties) - the only good reason to bring a character or species back is that there's more to explore about them. This is why my heart sinks every time I see Daleks, but also incidentally why stories like Genesis and Dalek are so good - because they look at an established character from a whole new angle. However, it doesn't always work: Triumph of the Daleks could have been another one of those stories, but it was just dreadful.

(By the way, according to the forward-planning thingy on my cable tv box, there's no Doctor Who on Saturday 25th. Even though the press preview of Asylum of the Daleks has already happened.)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've scrolled through the schedules on the BBC website and there's nothing listed up to 27 August, when the schedule ends. I also used the search button, but only ridiculous stories come up about sport and so on, so I have no idea about the season start, even though it was supposed to be August [Confused]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, they had a 'coming soon!' ad on the BBC about an hour ago, so I guess it'll be September possibly, or even October??

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The date I've seen mentioned is 1st September, and they're doing the film premiere on 25th August.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Og - have you got a link for that interview?

Here ya go.

Poor interviewer to be honest but...ugh.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
The date I've seen mentioned is 1st September, and they're doing the film premiere on 25th August.

We come home from our camping holiday that day. I guess we will be striking camp at 6.00am to make sure we get back in time. The Roguelings will be keen (until I actually try to wake them up) but Mrs Rogue is not a fan. Any suggestions?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Set to record? Admittedly, this means leaving the TV/box plugged in while you're away, but IME this seldom results in the house burning to the ground.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I hope not. We leave for two weeks in Spain between 1st and 15th Sept. Hope iPlayer doesn't delete it after 7 days

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A while back now, Robert Armin posted:

quote:
A little while ago I tried to organise a day where a few of us got together, each brought our favourite Who adventure, and we spent the day in happy viewing.
We did a similar thing back in April. Macarius' cousin wanted to introduce her daughter to Classic Who, as she had only seen the new ones. So we made lots of Whofood (eg, Doctor Hummous, Donna Kebabs, Cheesy Cybermen, Face of Bo bread, Dariole Daleks etc) and spent a happy day watching bits of old Who.

Martin Clunes in Snakedance, dressed in a nightdress and boots, fondling his snake, was a particular favourite.

(For those who saw my sad little confession about our pet logs on another thread, we dressed them up appropriately as well).

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Og - have you got a link for that interview?

Here ya go.

Poor interviewer to be honest but...ugh.

Didn't think she looked too bad, to be honest. It is a shame that the Beeb have gone for another brainless bimbo, but maybe that's the effect of a time travel series. All of the actresses come from the 1910s rather than the 2010s. Once they find one who has got the vote things might improve.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son just checked him out of his hotel in Bristol.

AtB Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

I hope not. We leave for two weeks in Spain between 1st and 15th Sept. Hope iPlayer doesn't delete it after 7 days
They tend to "stack" series (i.e. keep all episodes till the end of the run), so you should be all right. I'm counting on it, too, as I'll be abroad for a while in mid-series...
(It would be sooo nice to have i-player available abroad for British licence payers - I'm sure it's technically possible)

(PS...enjoy Spain!)

[ 21. August 2012, 20:37: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

PS, and apologies for double post (mind = sieve):
in support of the 1st September date, today's Radio Times promises for the next issue "The Doctor is Back", plus a Dalek wallchart. Seems resaonably conclusive [Yipee]

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is the 1st of September

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Waterworks]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone seen this "Pond Life" ? It might be quite fun - but I'm not sure I'll be able to get it out of the UK...

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Has anyone seen this "Pond Life" ? It might be quite fun - but I'm not sure I'll be able to get it out of the UK...

This does rather suggest that any fatality encountered by Mr or Mrs Pond isn't permanent and gives the lie to the message of that big teasy Dalek poster - but then, what's new?

(I know they're technically Mr & Mrs Whatever-Rory's-names but even the Beeb refers to them as the Ponds.)

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
] This does rather suggest that any fatality encountered by Mr or Mrs Pond isn't permanent and gives the lie to the message of that big teasy Dalek poster - but then, what's new?

It would appear that they're all coming out before the new series rather than afterwards, so they don't say anything either way about fatalities encountered during the course of the series.

(I'm guessing they'll end up saved in that computer with River. But now I've said that Mr Moffat is going to film a new ending just to be devious.)

quote:
(I know they're technically Mr & Mrs Whatever-Rory's-names but even the Beeb refers to them as the Ponds.)
Are they? (Apart from that controversial line in the minotaur story.) The implication is clearly that Amy hasn't taken Rory's name. In which case, why not Ponds?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE](I know they're technically Mr & Mrs Whatever-Rory's-names but even the Beeb refers to them as the Ponds.)

Are they? (Apart from that controversial line in the minotaur story.) The implication is clearly that Amy hasn't taken Rory's name. In which case, why not Ponds? [/QB]
There is a bit during their wedding when the Doctor addesses Rory as "Mr Pond", and he protests that "it doesn't work like that" but the Doctor says "oh yes it does!"
From then on, the Doctor addresses them as "Ponds" when he is talking to both, although I suspect Rory's original protest implies that they officially *are* Mr and Mrs Williams ...
(although it does not entirely preclude separate surnames)

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
quote:
quote:

Are they? (Apart from that controversial line in the minotaur story.) The implication is clearly that Amy hasn't taken Rory's name. In which case, why not Ponds?
There is a bit during their wedding when the Doctor addesses Rory as "Mr Pond", and he protests that "it doesn't work like that" but the Doctor says "oh yes it does!"
From then on, the Doctor addresses them as "Ponds" when he is talking to both, although I suspect Rory's original protest implies that they officially *are* Mr and Mrs Williams ...
(although it does not entirely preclude separate surnames)

Actually, same episode, just before Amy remembers the Doctor and calls him back into reality, Rory refers to her as "Mrs. Williams."

Meh, something about the way Matt Smith pronounces "Pond(s)" just seems to necessitate keeping it around. It sounds so . . . springy.

(Edited to fix everyone else's code)

[ 23. August 2012, 22:32: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Meh, something about the way Matt Smith pronounces "Pond(s)" just seems to necessitate keeping it around. It sounds so . . . springy.

[Axe murder] Hee hee hee hee hee...

That generates a great mental image. Guy had to be a labrador retriever in another life.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Pond Life is five mini episodes to be released online at noon on Monday to Friday next week.

Here's the BBC blog about it.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

Someone's just pointed me to this Q&A with Stephen Moffat, from the premiere of Asylum of the Daleks in Edinburgh. Might be of interest to some.

I was told that it was "only very mildly spoilery", but I found it even less than that. This is Moffat after all. He only tells us what he wants us to know...

[ 26. August 2012, 15:44: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies if this is all wrong or out-of-date, but...

I've seen the trailer for the new season just once here in Oz (where on past trends we'll be around 1 week behind the BBC once the episodes start), and: was it my imagination, or did I see a baby Weeping Angel??

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
did I see a baby Weeping Angel??

Blowing out a candle.

Yup, you sure did.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great. Now I'm trying to imagine how they reproduce.

For starters, if we take 'Blink' as the more canonical outing it would have to be in total darkness. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:

For starters, if we take 'Blink' as the more canonical outing it would have to be in total darkness. [Big Grin]

If their clothing is the stone it appears to be it would make reproduction difficult.

I've just watched the first episode of Pond Life. Sixty seconds of frantic pace but nothing much happening. But at least the Doctor is back.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I thought that it was heavily implied that we saw how they went about it in Flesh and Stone and The Time of Angels.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

I thought that it was heavily implied that we saw how they went about it in Flesh and Stone and The Time of Angels.
Nah. That was them healing with a bit of food after a long period.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

I meant the looking them in the eyes and the counting down.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought of that. I also thought, "Good Grief, I hope they aren't going to screw around with another one of Amy's babies."

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It probably involves pebbles. Or maybe garden gnomes.

Is anyone else enjoying "Pond Life"? (Sorry, I can't link to it from my computer at work - BBC Doctor Who website, front page.) I'm one of the vocal (probable) minority who actually like the Doctor's in-laws, and I like these mini-scenes they've been given. I'm not sure they have any significance for the coming few weeks, but they're fun. Also, I quite like the idea of companions who only sometimes go travelling with the Doctor. That's new. (Although I think in the classic series it was implied that Sarah Jane sometimes had to be persuaded to take "just a little trip..." in the TARDIS.)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
) I'm one of the vocal (probable) minority who actually like the Doctor's in-laws, and I like these mini-scenes they've been given.

I'm pretty sure we're a majority. It's just that the most vocal section of the fandom are those whose main enjoyment in watching Doctor Who seems to be complaining afterwards about how it's been ruined forever.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
) I'm one of the vocal (probable) minority who actually like the Doctor's in-laws, and I like these mini-scenes they've been given.

I'm pretty sure we're a majority. It's just that the most vocal section of the fandom are those whose main enjoyment in watching Doctor Who seems to be complaining afterwards about how it's been ruined forever.
[Big Grin]

But I do like the Ponds, even Amy. I need to catch up with this. And then I'm going to be away on Saturday, and will have to wait until Sunday before sampling the new series! It's not fair.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

See, they are gonna punish all the haters by making Amy and Rory absolutely irresistible this season. And then they're going to do something horrible to them.

That's what they did with Alexsa Pallido in "Boardwalk Empire." They were wasting her character, too, which generated a whole lot of hateraid, and then the writers spend an entire season making us love her, only to kill her off in a particularly wrenching fashion.

I'm just saying, get the Scotch ready.

--------------------

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Maybe they are literally a chip off the ol block. I'm glad to see River back and I hope Kelly is right and that he'll make Amy irresistable this season; Rory already was. My family of Amy haters would welcome the chance to change our tune.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

She was growing on me. For one thing, I made this strange connection between her and (of all people) Buster Keaton; I honestly think she was directed to do a lot of deadpan, and maybe they just overworked that schtick.Because TV folk have a way of taking a good thing and running it into the ground. [Roll Eyes]

But if you pay attention-- one deadpan is never like the other. The deadpan she shows when she realizes her status as "Mother-in-law" is completely different than the one she shows when she is processing the fact that she wsa a giant wooden dolly for a while. And still different for the (truly wonderful) stoneface she shows when she opens the door in the Christmas episode.

I dunno,I'm rooting for her (shut up, Aussies). I want her to shut all the haters up.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Okay, so "Pond Life" is too much fun to resist. Yet another reminder that having a millennium old time-traveling alien for a son-in-law isn't always easy—and really, who doesn't want Cthulu for a butler?

Also, am I the only one anticipating a level of delicious sci-fi b-movie camp we haven't seen since "Horns of Nimon" from "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?" Seriously. With a title/premise like that, you really can't do anything else.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

The Ponds are growing on me too (ok, Amy's growing on me - I already liked Rory) and an Ood in a pinny is just [Killing me] . And I love Matt Smith - his Doctor is so strangely weird, young yet centuries old. I anticipate tomorrow evening with lots of [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Also, am I the only one anticipating a level of delicious sci-fi b-movie camp we haven't seen since "Horns of Nimon" from "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?" Seriously. With a title/premise like that, you really can't do anything else.

But can it beat:

quote:

Mickey Smith: What's a horse doing on a spaceship?

The Doctor: Mickey, what's pre-Revolutionary France doing on a spaceship? Get a little perspective!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
The Ponds are growing on me too (ok, Amy's growing on me - I already liked Rory) and an Ood in a pinny is just [Killing me] . And I love Matt Smith - his Doctor is so strangely weird, young yet centuries old. I anticipate tomorrow evening with lots of [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

That is about as perfect a post written on the subject as I have ever seen. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In order to get myself in the mood for tomorrow, and because I needed cheering up and Dr Who is usually light-hearted fun, I thought I'd watch the repeat of the last Christmas episode that was shown tonight.

Oh dear. I was in tears by the end. It's a bit silly and the sentiment is laid on with a trowel but even so.

But, it was a good cry - I think.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That was a nice night all around-- The Graham Norton Show preceding the special was wonderful as well. I was sitting with my cousin and nephew in the den watching them while the "adults" talked of boring things...

--------------------

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, who watched it then?

I liked the essential holodeck in a dalek shell.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful!

Fly Safe Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved the twists with Oswyn but not sure how the Moff is going to have Jenna-Louise Coleman pop up again as Clara from Christmas

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
excellent, I loved it a really good start to the series [Smile]

[ 01. September 2012, 19:49: Message edited by: angelica37 ]

Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wayfaring Stranger
Apprentice
# 15081

- Posted      Profile for Wayfaring Stranger   Email Wayfaring Stranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I be the first to predict that the line "I have had it with these motherf*cking dinosaurs on this motherf*cking spaceship!" will not feature in next week's episode.
Posts: 11 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was a good opening. The Daleks were used well, thank goodness, and hooray for them not being completely wiped out by the Doctor at the end (as seemed to happen every time he came up against them in RTD's scripts).

Oswin's character was interesting... her true nature and fate were suitably creepy, and it will be interesting to see how this pays off later.

Not entirely convinced by Amy and Rory's relationship problems - seemed a bit too abrupt, and then too easily resolved. But on the whole a fun, entertaining episode.

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016