homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: The Doctor is back! (Summer 2012) (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: The Doctor is back! (Summer 2012)
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent episode - a very strong opening to the season. There were one or two points where I thought the pace dropped a bit (mainly the relationshippy-wationshippy stuff), but other bits were clever, creepy, and a bit thrilling. Loved the scene where Rory wakes the Daleks up ("E-e-e-e-ex...") and the zombie stuff was brilliant.

So what happens now that the Daleks don't know who the Doctor is? They've been best enemies since The Chase.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really liked that the Daleks have got scary again [Smile]

Other than that, watched this with my bested friend, and neither of us have a clue what's going on [Help]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have not watched the episode yet, but wanted to report something I've never seen before...

The 1st episode won't be broadcast here in Australia, on ABC television, until next Saturday. But they've put the episode for viewing on the website already! It went up 12 hours ago, with a big banner on the front of the site advertising the fact!

Ain't technology grand...

[ 02. September 2012, 07:32: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erm, didn't hate it. I liked the Pond bits and Oswin but I think I'm still too over-dosed on Daleks from previous series.

Looking forward to Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the best bit about the episode was Oswin. It gives me hope for her as the next companion - although how that gets worked out now should be very interesting!

Otherwise, I want to see it again. While I enjoyed it, I'm left with a nagging feeling it didn't quite add up....

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed that. Oswin was excellent, and I thought that she would make a good companion - the character, not just the actor. It would be interesting but excellent if they could keep that character, even though some of her genius was because she was a Dalek.

There were some interesting insights into self image there, which is quite interesting in the middle of the paralympics....

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I enjoyed that. Oswin was excellent, and I thought that she would make a good companion - the character, not just the actor...

Seconded, I guess it would be a nightmare to write (especially the historicals). But if it worked... [Smile]
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was sure I heard a "Seven of Nine" reference from the Doctor last night, which I liked...

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else think the sound quality was bad? I certainly had difficulty following a lot of the dialogue, especially Oswin who I thought spoke very quickly. Or maybe it's just me age ....

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, is it back on again? If so, I missed it - will it be repeated any time soon?
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Ah, is it back on again? If so, I missed it - will it be repeated any time soon?

Friday, 7.10p.m. on BBC3. Also on iplayer till 8 September.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks very much, Adeodatus, Friday it is! [Big Grin]
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Otherwise, I want to see it again. While I enjoyed it, I'm left with a nagging feeling it didn't quite add up....

Yes, I quite enjoyed the story but a few things were nagging at me. Like, why exactly did the Daleks want to blow up the planet? I think they tried to give a reason, but when I think back on it I can't recall what it was.

And I know the Doctor asked why they couldn't blow it up and the answer was "the force field" which had to be shut off from the planet. Okay, that is remarkably bad planning--rather like creating a prison but leaving the key to the doors in with the prisoners. But more to the point, how good a force field is this, if we can drop three people on to the planet? If they could do that, why could they not drop a bomb?

But that is ticky-tacky stuff. I liked the story and erasing the Doctor from the Dalek memory fits in with the plan for the Doctor to take a lower profile in Universal affairs.

Also: I know that the official sound bite (given by every one of the actors in their interviews shown ahead of time) is that the Daleks have been "made scary again." Now maybe it is the fact that the Daleks always have struck me as rather scary in every appearance (with the possible exception of "The Space Museum"), but how exactly did this episode make them scarier than they have been the last few times they showed up?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mildly spoilery

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
[/qb]

"something has got in (and stayed there despite the daleks)...therefore everything can get out"

I'm not sure it works...(not least the order of discovery) but I suspect an explanation could be patched. And it's good enough to let the story go on.

I suppose the force field could be energy based, that's been used as an excuse enough times to resolve the same problem. Also it's not a prison so maybe that explains the force field being the wrong way (+ perhaps the practicalities of covering a planet).

But the soufflé clue was good (and pretty much all the plot points were indicated about right). and the atmosphere was good. Not sure about the eye-stalk and suckers effect but it was still dramatic.

[ 02. September 2012, 18:56: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:
I was sure I heard a "Seven of Nine" reference from the Doctor last night, which I liked...

[Smile]
I'm also reasonably sure the little periscope in the snow was a nod to The Empire Strikes Back

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading through the lines:
1) Someone on another internet forum points out that what's worrying the daleks is specifically Oswin playing Carmen. It's possible that the daleks know exactly what is happening and what they're worrying about is not insane daleks getting out so much as Oswin's personality infecting the daleks with the human factor or what not. (And she showed that she could have done drastic things to dalek species psychology if they'd thought of it in time.) In other words, the daleks didn't tell the Doctor they were sending him on an assassination mission.

2) I am developing a theory that Matt Smith's Doctor is the most manipulative Doctor of them all. (Question: how much of The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe was really an accident?) He didn't mention to Amy and Rory that he'd put his bracelet on Amy and so she was perfectly safe, and thereby got them to talk and saved their marriage. This raises the question - with dark implications - of exactly how Amy lost her bracelet in the first place?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason I wasn't as grabbed by this episode as I usually am. There were some great moments and youngest Rogueling was nicely scared by the Daleks who had real individual menace rather than global/universal menace. It was a nice touch that the Daleks have forgotten the Doctor (but has Davros?) and I look forward to seeing how the Doctor ends up with a Dalek as companion.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
quote:

[Smile]
I'm also reasonably sure the little periscope in the snow was a nod to The Empire Strikes Back

I thought the Dalek senate lookd like the Imperial Senate from "Phantom Menace".

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for double post missed edit window so excuse typo in first post. Dang Ipad.
We are all very excited about the new companion. So, Rose became a warrior after the Doctor, Martha is flat out bad ass and is trying to save the Earth and fighting along side Mickey after the Doctor, Donna continued to help even though she had her mind erased...we even find out Sarah Jane has continued to fight and Amy is a vacuous, pouting model hawking perfume and divorcing the centurion? Why does Moffat hate Amy?

[ 03. September 2012, 01:42: Message edited by: art dunce ]

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I certainly hope there's some continuity between the Oswyn character in this episode and the new companion character as she's introduced later -- I mean the same personality not just the same actress. I love the idea of the Doctor having a female companion who is not just young and pretty but BRILLIANT. It's been awhile. Martha was probably the most intelligent of the new-series companions so far.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
Why does Moffat hate Amy?

Finally, someone asks that question.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
haven't been a regular follower of Doctor Who since the Tom Baker days in the 70s. Thought this would be a good time to get back into the show. It was. [Smile]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
haven't been a regular follower of Doctor Who since the Tom Baker days in the 70s. Thought this would be a good time to get back into the show. It was. [Smile]

Only now? What a lot you have missed!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
Why does Moffat hate Amy?

Amy has a life that doesn't involve fighting aliens. ('That stuff that happens while you're not there.') It's likely that it's the life she was planning before the Doctor turned up in her adult life (except for the children which nearly upset everything).
As you point out, none of the previous characters have been allowed a life that isn't defined by the effect the Doctor had on them. Martha could have had a career as a doctor, but she's become a monster hunter simply so Tennant could say goodbye to her and Mickey at the same time. I think Amy's the lucky one.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm...Oswin Oswald and Clara Oswin...Dafyd's theory may indeed hold some water...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I was overly pessimistic about that one - it was surprisingly good. In fact, it was the best Dalek story since Dalek. The set-up was mercifully brief, allowing lots of time for genuine tension, but it covered all the important details, it made sense up to a point, and the story itself worked very well.

I thought it was a little bit too obvious that Souffle Girl wasn't what she seemed, but the only blatant hint was the early comment about milk, which looked enough like an inconsequential quip to possibly get away with it. I could have done without the emotional lovey-dovey bit, and I'd have appreciated some explanation of why the nanothingies didn't seem to have any lasting effect, but overall, it was rather good.

A couple of other thoughts. Is the Daleks' new forgetfulness an attempt to reboot their relationship with the Doctor and make him less of an intergalactic superhero, or was it just an excuse for a cheap joke that will be forgotten by next week? And is it my imagination, or does Moffat have a bit of a thing about memory? False memories, believing you're something you're not, forgetting things including conversations you've just had - he seems to play with ideas like that a lot.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from the other glitches that have been mentioned, how about the ending? From a Dalek PoV an unknown being appears in front of them, and they just ignore him? Surely they would have exterminated him within a few seconds.

As for Moffat hating Amy, I think that's an overstatement. Isn't it more that he hasn't really thought out her character (or Rory's, for the matter)? There are all sorts of inconsistencies that have never been addressed; the biggest, to my mind, Amy trying to drag the Doctor into bed the night before her wedding. While I am happy to put most of the blame on the actress, some must rest with the writers and producer.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My attention span found it difficult to follow the plot. But the best line was Amy's when (a dalek?) accused her of not being human because she was too angry. 'There's someone who's never been to Scotland.'

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Apart from the other glitches that have been mentioned, how about the ending? From a Dalek PoV an unknown being appears in front of them, and they just ignore him? Surely they would have exterminated him within a few seconds.

He didn't move beyond the TARDIS door, and it was established in the days of Eccles that the TARDIS has a forcefield that will protect him against Dalek fire. On that occasion, Nine stepped out into the midst of a large throng of pepperpots and they all opened fire without further ado, which rather impressed me (on their part).
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
He didn't mention to Amy and Rory that he'd put his bracelet on Amy and so she was perfectly safe, and thereby got them to talk and saved their marriage.

And he relied on Clueless Amy not noticing that a heavy bracelet was suddenly placed on her wrist. But then again, she didn't notice when it fell off her wrist either. Maybe she has some nerve damage so that she has lost feeling in her arm?

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
And is it my imagination, or does Moffat have a bit of a thing about memory? False memories, believing you're something you're not, forgetting things including conversations you've just had - he seems to play with ideas like that a lot.

Maybe he is obsessed with the hope that the fans will forget all the dangling plot lines that he has left in previous seasons.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
soggy_amphibian
Shipmate
# 2487

- Posted      Profile for soggy_amphibian   Author's homepage   Email soggy_amphibian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed the episode.
I wonder why there were so many bronze Daleks in the Dalek Parliament, I'm surprised the Rainbow Daleks (I've heard them referred to as iDaleks) kept them around.

Also, there's a room where there's Daleks from Spiridon, Kembel, Aridius, Vulcan and Exxilon. Only, the Daleks in the room all look like beat-up versions of the bronze Dalek from the new series, with the large speaking lights, and the riveted and indented shoulder slats - none of those features were on the Daleks of those referenced stories. If you're bringing back the old Dalek models, how 'bout putting them in the scene where it actually matters?

It didn't stop me from enjoying the episode, but that seemed disappointing, a missed opportunity.

[ 03. September 2012, 20:25: Message edited by: soggy_amphibian ]

--------------------
Buffy: I don't like you hanging out with someone that... short.
Riley: Yeah, a lot of young people nowadays are experimenting with shortness.

Posts: 712 | From: Back at home | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did like the jab taken at the Dalek reboot in Victory—Rory's line about "what color?" seems to be a reference to the Technicolor Daleks introduced there. Yes, I know, it's not Who without Daleks, but seriously, how many times has the Doctor destroyed every single Dalek in existence, only to have the hordes come back?

Also, I think you were supposed to catch on pretty quickly that there was something Not Quite Right about Oswin's situation—I figured that one out as they were introducing her. Seriously, a few boards nailed to a door, stopping the Daleks for almost a year? Of course, I figured the Daleks were playing along, using her to set a trap, giving her access to their systems in order to bring the Doctor in closer—which, um, turned out to not be the case. That, I think, is what this episode hinged on: there's something wrong with this situation, but, no matter what you initially think it is, it's not nearly as shocking as the truth.

Nice to see the Dalek egg beater attachment explained, though. Hopefully a later episode will explain the plungers.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I thought it was a little bit too obvious that Souffle Girl wasn't what she seemed, but the only blatant hint was the early comment about milk, which looked enough like an inconsequential quip to possibly get away with it.

As far as I can tell there are no inconsequential quips in Doctor Who.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
See, they are gonna punish all the haters by making Amy and Rory absolutely irresistible this season. And then they're going to do something horrible to them.

Season? They did it before the opening credits!

quote:
Reading through the lines:
1) Someone on another internet forum points out that what's worrying the daleks is specifically Oswin playing Carmen. It's possible that the daleks know exactly what is happening and what they're worrying about is not insane daleks getting out so much as Oswin's personality infecting the daleks with the human factor or what not. (And she showed that she could have done drastic things to dalek species psychology if they'd thought of it in time.) In other words, the daleks didn't tell the Doctor they were sending him on an assassination mission.

An assassination mission that worked! She died. (As far as we know). So the Doctor in fact did what the Daleks wanted him to.

Also the idea of Daleks using human girls to inject some genius or imagination into their Cunning Plans goes way back. Remember Remembrance of the Daleks? Which was also the story that put the Time War centre stage. And showed Skaro destroyed! So how did the Daleks get it back? Or is the first scene set in the distant past. (But if it was destroyed in the Time War isn't that as if it never existed in this continuum?)

And, as RotD was a clear reference to and sequel of An Unearthly Child, the very first story, and as this went back to the "Doctor who?" trope, it seems very like a deliberate reboot of the series. One of many...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent] Welcome home, soggy_amphibian! Great to see you here! [Big Grin] [/tangent]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
I did like the jab taken at the Dalek reboot in Victory—Rory's line about "what color?" seems to be a reference to the Technicolor Daleks introduced there....Also, I think you were supposed to catch on pretty quickly that there was something Not Quite Right about Oswin's situation <snip>

Yes, I giggled at that line, too.

There was something deeply strange about Oswin, but the truth certainly caught me by surprise. And it will be even more interesting when we meet Clara Oswin at Christmas!

Nothing much else to the various erudite comments here, except that I also giggled at the way Oswin called the Doctor Chin-boy - much like the way Donna called Tennant's Doctor Space-boy and the like.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we clear that Oswin is the same character who is going to be "introduced" at Christmas? They're obviously connected in some way, but I don't think it's been absolutely established. I have got a couple of ideas of how it might work, though.

1. The Doctor meets her earlier in her timeline. This has the possible advantage (depending on your point of view - Moffat might like it) of lots of peculiar emoting about changing the past/future because he knows what will happen to her once they go their separate ways and she joins the Alaska. It leaves the question of why she didn't recognise him unanswered, but that could probably be handwaved away as a memory that was lost/suppressed when she was made into a Dalek.

2. She found some way, using her mad 1337 skillz, to upload her consciousness to the Dalek hivemindy thing before the Asylum planet went all explodey-wodey (sorry, but that was just naff), opening up the possibility of making herself a new body using technology similar to the new Dalek drone things. It might also be necessary to make herself forget the past (as with the others), and she may even still be a Dalek underneath.

Bound to be other possible variations, but I think they're the most obvious possibilities if it's basically the same person.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't thought that far ahead at all, and had assumed they were different characters, though with some connection - I've not read anything about the Clara character, have kept away from any spoilers, and have only seen a pic or two of her in Victorian clothes, so it only started to click when Oswin Oswald introduced herself.

Any other theories out there?

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

I think there will have to be some sort of connection since she has played such a prominet role within the same season. (When Martha "came back" she had been a minor character in the previous season.) Gumby, I like your ideas, but have the feeling the connection will be something even more off the wall.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Gumby, I like your ideas, but have the feeling the connection will be something even more off the wall.

Almost certainly, even though I just suggested a recorded mind inside a dormant Dalek drone as a companion. [Big Grin] I do like that as an idea, though, because all the necessary information was there in the episode, so it scores highly for neatness and elegance.

I have ideas that are far more off the wall, but they're too ridiculous to air in public on the off-chance that my wild speculative joining of dots to other characters comes close to matching the way Moffat's mind works. This is definitely meant to be a typical teaser, though.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
I have ideas that are far more off the wall, but they're too ridiculous to air in public on the off-chance that my wild speculative joining of dots to other characters comes close to matching the way Moffat's mind works.

Moffat's genius is really misdirection. He's hidden the card in the obvious place up his sleeve - it's just that Moffat gets you to look everywhere else for the card so that you forget to look at the obvious place up the sleeve when the card comes out of it.

I predict that the solution to the Sherlock mystery will have been dismissed as too obvious by most people who have thought about it.

Also, Moffat's not really interested by stories about how the Doctor escapes the Pandorica ; that's just there as an excuse for the bit where the Doctor sits by Amy's bed and tells her that we're all stories in the end.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Also, Moffat's not really interested by stories about how the Doctor escapes the Pandorica ; that's just there as an excuse for the bit where the Doctor sits by Amy's bed and tells her that we're all stories in the end.

Having just rewatched that episode with my daughter and cried as shamelessly as I always do at that scene, I'd say it was well worth whatever it took to get that moment. He's an excellent writer even if not always an excellent plotter or character-developer.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
[Having just rewatched that episode with my daughter and cried as shamelessly as I always do at that scene, I'd say it was well worth whatever it took to get that moment.

Exactly.

--------------------

angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A companion who was trapped in a Dalek body could have been very interesting though they couldn't have kept up with all the running I suppose.
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

I watched it again last night. Oswin's first question when the Doctor tries to talk to her: 'Are you real?' Oh, Oswin.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

[TANGENT] We came across the Vincent van Gogh episode on Watch last night, and I laughed myself silly at the Doctor's comment about meeting Michelangelo: 'what a whinger!' Matt Smith excels at throwaway lines, and with his gangly figure and young-yet-old personality is rivetting to watch.
[/TANGENT]
Ok, carry on.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

I watched it again last night and enjoyed it more than the first time. Maybe this is the season where Moff-the-Producer finally comes into his own. Let's hope so.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
[TANGENT] We came across the Vincent van Gogh episode on Watch last night, and I laughed myself silly at the Doctor's comment about meeting Michelangelo: 'what a whinger!' Matt Smith excels at throwaway lines, and with his gangly figure and young-yet-old personality is rivetting to watch.
[/TANGENT]
Ok, carry on.

[Oh, why should you be alone in tangent land? [Biased] ]
Again ,my heart just sings with agreement, Pine Marten. I can to the realization the other day that a great deal of the hero worship I have for Mr. Smith (see how deferential I am?) is composed of wistful envy-- I wish I had the gift he seems to have of putting smiles on faces. He's so joyful and warm. I got some bit of geek news that he'd been named a patron to some theater school for youth, and all I could think "How perfect, and how lucky." It just made me hugely happy.[/end gush]

As for the Doctor-- I'm really glad a companion is talking some sass to him. That's exactly what was needed. That's exactly what the character of Amy needed, but aside from a couple excellent cracks and a fantastic watergun scene, she was relegated to casting adoring stares and propping the Doctor up, and pitting him against Rory, and occasionally delivering portentous speeches about how he'd disappointed her in various ways. Oh, and hawking perfume.

Poor Karen.She deserved better. I'm confident she will get it somewhere.

But as someone pointed out above, the Doctor is kind of a momzer (about an hour a week is the duration of momzer charm for me), and it's good to have someone who will call him on his mountains of bullshit once in a while. Often, actually.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
As for the Doctor-- I'm really glad a companion is talking some sass to him. That's exactly what was needed. That's exactly what the character of Amy needed, but aside from a couple excellent cracks and a fantastic watergun scene, she was relegated to casting adoring stares and propping the Doctor up, and pitting him against Rory, and occasionally delivering portentous speeches about how he'd disappointed her in various ways.

Compared to Rose and Martha and even Donna I don't think Amy's at all slow to tell the Doctor when he's being full of himself. Some of the weaker writers do write her as generic companion (as did Toby Whithouse in the otherwise strong God Complex), but weak writers will write anyone as generic companion. Even Leela and Ace got generic companion stories.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
quote:

[Smile]

There was me thinking it was the Teletubbies.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016