homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: The Doctor is back! (Summer 2012) (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: The Doctor is back! (Summer 2012)
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
As a result, he put the lives of lots of other people in danger. Even if he thought he had a foolproof plan, the scene in the chapel showed just how much danger he was putting everyone else in for the sake of his conscience, and (probably) to silence his own demons for a while. I didn't like that, but I'm probably in a minority.

Maybe we are genuinely not supposed to like it.
Interesting. I'd be surprised, because I'd expect it to be laid on a bit thicker than that if it was intended to create that sort of response, but I wouldn't rule it out. There's an interesting comparison with Jex, who ultimately blew himself up to end the pain of his own past, but also to save other people from getting caught up in anything. You could make a good case that the Doctor's actions in a similar situation have been much less noble. Maybe it's significant, maybe not.

And something that's been bothering me for a while - does anyone else think Amy's quite a bit rounder in the face than she used to be? Is that a subtle way of showing that she's older (as in Girl Who Waited), has Gillan put on weight, or is it significant in some other way? (Or am I just completely wrong?)

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Liked it - best this season. More pathos than humour but the latter was the right sort, great acting from Matt Smith in particular.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked it too, but will watch it again as I've been away for a few days - my first thought was the Doc v the Terminator...

Many interesting thoughts and theories here to ruminate on, which is why I read much more than I post! And Matt's acting gets better and better. I just hope he doesn't announce he is leaving any time soon, I want a good long tenure from him.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, time to start my list of characters who will come back for a Completely Pointless Cameo in the season finale (the now traditional "Everybody On Stage" moment). So far, I figure Neffy and What'sisname-In-The-Tent and the cyborg gunslinger are locks.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I would love them to spring a change in the Dr on us without news having leaked out beforehand I don't see it happening. I remember when David Tennant got shot by a Dalek and started to go and my reaction was "how did they keep that quiet?". But I still like Matt Smith so don't want a change yet anyway.

And yes: Daleks are much more scary individually than in a group.

eta: Responding to the posts at the bottom of page 6

[ 18. September 2012, 15:33: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been thoroughly enjoying this series, but I have the joy of being able to share it with my son for the first time (at 7 years old we've decided he's old enough) and it gives one a whole new perspective.

I would have dismissed Dinosaurs On A Spaceship as being 'all a bit of fun but not really up to much'. Try watching with a 7 year old. He thought it was brilliant!

I reckon I was just a little younger than him when I first started watching (very late Tom Baker) and watching it with him brings back the shear, unadulterated joy of it.

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Posts: 745 | From: Bath, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
I liked it too, but will watch it again as I've been away for a few days - my first thought was the Doc v the Terminator...

Many interesting thoughts and theories here to ruminate on, which is why I read much more than I post! And Matt's acting gets better and better. I just hope he doesn't announce he is leaving any time soon, I want a good long tenure from him.

Someone upthread mentioned his gift for expression-- I hope before we get to twelve, they slide in an ep with no dialogue at all, like that Agnes Moorehead episode of Twilight Zone (It can be done.) I've never seen anyone do the kind of things that man does with his face.

I can't decide whether he'd be brilliant at poker or completely crap at it. [Big Grin]

[ 18. September 2012, 23:59: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matt has really grown on me and as much as i like Amy and Rory in Ponds life it doesn't translate to the full episodes. I enjoyed ATCM but mostly because my son did and I see the show through the eyes of a ten year old boy who loves old Who. He had a crush on Martha and doesn't like Amy at all and wishes Romana coluld come back. When watching "The
Stones of Blood" he wondered why "all the girls seem dumber now".
He is a huge fan of Firely/Serenity and so liked the western theme but wished Rory hadn't been turned into the tin dog.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
[QUOTE]
Regarding his age, someone on the TWOP boards made the very good point that the Doctor probably has NO idea how old he actually is, since he doesn't live a linear life at all, and whenever he gives his age he's only throwing out rough estimates.

It's linear to HIM surely, just not to the rest of the universe! Although all the regenerations probably result in a certain amount of confusion, and after approx 1200 years he probably isn't all that bothered about the exact number.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
[QUOTE]
Regarding his age, someone on the TWOP boards made the very good point that the Doctor probably has NO idea how old he actually is, since he doesn't live a linear life at all, and whenever he gives his age he's only throwing out rough estimates.

It's linear to HIM surely, just not to the rest of the universe! Although all the regenerations probably result in a certain amount of confusion, and after approx 1200 years he probably isn't all that bothered about the exact number.
Exactly, but how do you keep track? If you live on Earth, a day is a single rotation of the Earth and a year is the time taken for it to orbit the sun. How does that translate to a Gallifreyan who spends his life hopping from planet to planet and timestream to timestream? It starts to fall apart as soon as you look at it.

Best answer is just to assert that the TARDIS looks after it, can translate his age into appropriate units for different cultures, and he tends to use Earth dating because he likes humans.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps he isn't using Earth dating and he is actually three in Earth years.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As long ago as The Ribos Operation Romana accused the Doctor of having lost count of his age. Several times, the Fourth Doctor quoted his age as 749. In The Brain of Morbius, he was interrupted partway through a sentence that was probably going to be, "I'm only 749. Life doesn't begin until 750." Perhaps this implies he once was as vain about his age as some humans, who'll say they're "39 ... and a few months".

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
Perhaps he isn't using Earth dating and he is actually three in Earth years.

[Big Grin] I've thought that, too, but developmentally I'd say "13".

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got round to watching episode #3 - wow! Brilliant - so many layers. Even tiresome Pond (pbuh in advance) had a decent speech.
Well done writers, directors and cast. [Smile]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've thought that, too, but developmentally I'd say "13".

Hartnell was about 13 developmentally although pretending to be a lot older. The Doctor has been steadily getting older and steadily pretending to be younger, although there are blips.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Shut the front door, Dafyd. [Eek!]

OK, lest you think I'm barking at you, and just 'cause I've said enough crackpot things on these threads to warrent me saying "What the hell", I will tell you something that crossed my mind out of the blue the other day-- The Doctor reminds me of Grover.

From Sesame Street. Yeah, that Grover.

Now the reason this pertains is,like the Doctor, Grover is of indeterminate age and often displays deep wisdom, but he is written to be four years old, developmentally. No shit. I read somewhere that the people at the Children's Television Workshop who knocked together the puppets assigned them character traits lining up with specific developmental stages (so, Bert and Ernie are about nine or ten, Big Bird is five, Kermit is eight or so, and Oscar is a two-year old. Something like that.)

Just an interesting connection.

Kel// of course, it might just be that Grover is my favorite...

[ 21. September 2012, 04:34: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh and also? When he hits developmental 2, the shit's gonna get real.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
On first viewing, I quite liked A Town Called Mercy. On second viewing I really liked it. The moment when it lit up for me was when the Doctor was sitting in Jex's ship, watching the record of his crimes on the screen. Look at Matt Smith's face in that scene - that man can act!

On second viewing I'd agree with you about Matt Smith's face. The other thing I noticed is that he's a dead ringer for the portrait of Richard III on the front of The Daughter of Time (currently being discussed on the September book thread(!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what I'm really looking forward to in this evening's episode?
Rory's dad! (He was just superb in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship!)

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
On second viewing I'd agree with you about Matt Smith's face. The other thing I noticed is that he's a dead ringer for the portrait of Richard III on the front of The Daughter of Time (currently being discussed on the September book thread(!

And he's worshipped on Easter Island. (as has already been pointed out to him)

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm going to watch that again cos we were having dinner in the middle of it but I must just say that although I was very fond of Wilf, I think I'm in lurrrve with Brian [Axe murder]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brian was better in this one than the last one and Rory has improved a lot. (Has he lost weight, btw?)

I had a feeling the cubes were going to be assessing people and gathering information, and the lift being a multi-dimensional portal wasn't a surprise (lifts often are), but otherwise an interesting and enjoyable episode. Kate Stewart as Head of UNIT is great! More please.

Looking forward to next week - River Song is back and so are the evil angels! Should be fun.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The dads are just fantastic. I hope they continue to have them, and more.

I liked this week. Fun and mystery. Something odd and the Doctor saving the World. And the Doctors Childhood Bogie Man - fantastic.

I love the idea of boxes that are all identical, but not really. And there was something of an anti-apple thing about the smooth sleek devices that everyone wanted.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well they do say An Apple A Day Keeps the Doctor Away [Smile]

yeah, the dads are great - Wilf and Brian need to get together, go for a pint and Set The Universe To Rights.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a lump in my throat when we heard who Kate's dad was...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the first half was excellent, and then it all fell apart. There were too many ideas thrown in the pot, and nothing really was done with any of them even the good ones (including the new Brigadier). And then we got a magic wand waved to reset everything.
I liked the continuity nod in the Doctor's dislike of defibrillators, but I felt something more could have been done with that too.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
I thought the first half was excellent, and then it all fell apart. There were too many ideas thrown in the pot, and nothing really was done with any of them even the good ones (including the new Brigadier). And then we got a magic wand waved to reset everything.
I liked the continuity nod in the Doctor's dislike of defibrillators, but I felt something more could have been done with that too.

I liked it, but I agree with a lot of what you said, Dafyd. Somehow it felt to me like it should have been part one of a two-parter. The resolution was very anticlimactic.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

Yes, my son texted me to say he thought the ending anticlimactic. I too felt that there was too much, and the solution too conveniently fixed by the sonic screwdriver.

But oh yes! imagine the scene supping pints down the Dog & Duck with Wilf and Brian...what joy <sigh>

BTW, that was Jemma Redgrave and Steven Berkoff - we've certainly got to the Morecambe & Wise level where everyone vies to be on the show.

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

quote:

But oh yes! imagine the scene supping pints down the Dog & Duck with Wilf and Brian...what joy <sigh>

The Ood & Angel, surely? [Biased]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tangent again]
quote:

(so, Bert and Ernie are about nine or ten, Big Bird is five, Kermit is eight or so, and Oscar is a two-year old. Something like that.)

which explains why I never progressed past Big Bird.

And why I'm a Who-iee.

[Edit: and why I can't post plopperly [Roll Eyes] ]

[ 22. September 2012, 22:12: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Yes, my son texted me to say he thought the ending anticlimactic. I too felt that there was too much, and the solution too conveniently fixed by the sonic screwdriver.

Yep.

And really, the camera work is gratingly show-offy and the soundtrack--- which delighted me last season-- is driving me bugfuck this season. Those two items alone are reminding me disturbingly of overwrought NBC crime dramas. Let the story tell itself, let the actors act, and follow them, D.P. And music is a seasoning, not a stock.

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But...but...there was lovely, lovely Doctor Brian Cox too.

The Doctor and the Other Doctor. Oh, joy is me!!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i wonder what the collective noun for doctors who are 'not that sort of doctor' is?

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's those two, perhaps I would say "a swoon of Doctors" - except I'm swooning, not them!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - Kate Stewart - I forgot to mention her. We want more of UNIT and her.

In the old days, UNIT provided some sense that good people can make a difference. You don't need to be a superhuman Doctor to do fantastic things.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a bit disappointed. It was such a good premise and then it all fell apart - just a wave of the magic wand, sorry, sonic screwdriver, and all was put to rights. And the ending? 'The Power of Three' - oh yuck. Did we ever find out why all the people were being sedated and taken from the hospital to the spaceship?

And while at first in 'New Who', I thought it was good to explore what happens to people after the Doctor leaves, now it seems to be getting to the stage of only really being about that.

But Macarius thinks I'm expecting too much and perhaps I am. I've been watching a lot of the older Doctor Who's recently and with a multi parter, there is more time to develop ideas. Mind you, there is sometimes quite a lot of padding, too, particularly in some of the Jon Pertwee six-parters.

But having the Brigadier's daughter was a great idea, my favourite bit of the episode.

I hope next week's is as good as it looks!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
It was such a good premise and then it all fell apart - just a wave of the magic wand, sorry, sonic screwdriver, and all was put to rights. And the ending? 'The Power of Three' - oh yuck. Did we ever find out why all the people were being sedated and taken from the hospital to the spaceship?

I loved it, but it did feel as if they had got 35 minutes into a 90-minute story and then realised they only had ten minutes left to wrap it up.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
I loved it, but it did feel as if they had got 35 minutes into a 90-minute story and then realised they only had ten minutes left to wrap it up.

I feel it was more that they got 35 minutes into two or three different 90-minute stories and had to wrap all three up in ten minutes.(**) It wasn't just the cubes that were sonic screwdrivered away - all the relationship between the Doctor and the Ponds ended up going straight back to where it's always been (*) - and UNIT did pretty much nothing except give the Doctor some flashing lights to show off with.

(*) Is there any reason this story couldn't have before or after any of the other stories so far? No. That's a bit bad in a story that says a lot about moving on the relationship.
(**) And that's leaving out the zygons. I want zygons.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sonic screwdriver needs a holiday. It's doing too much.

(Though a 21st century sonic screwdriver is probably now as much a sonic screwdriver as a mobile phone is a portable telephone.)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
But...but...there was lovely, lovely Doctor Brian Cox too.

The Doctor and the Other Doctor. Oh, joy is me!!

I started giggling with glee when I saw that bit.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

(*) Is there any reason this story couldn't have before or after any of the other stories so far? No. That's a bit bad in a story that says a lot about moving on the relationship.

Good call (ken,too) They could have done so much more with the "vacation" the Doctor took. There were lines thrown in about how Amy and Rory were liking real life, and the separation- foreshadowing dialogue was extraordinarily well-acted by both parties , but IMO we could have used a little more "show me, don't tell me." And would it have killed the world's perception of the Doctor if they had shown him actually enjoying some chill time with friends?

Another nod to Smith-- when he is handed one of those way-too-expository speeches (disclaimer-- I don't think the speech I referenced above was necessarily one of those), he seems to know how to saturate it with nuance-- as in that scene, he was acting like it was a struggle to get the words out. It makes a scene where you might go "Yeah,yeah, get to the point" into something that makes you go "Holy cow, this shit is really fucking him up."

--------------------

hilaryg
Shipmate
# 11690

- Posted      Profile for hilaryg   Email hilaryg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we're going non-linear with the story telling. Was this when Rory left his phone charger in Henry VIII's bedroom?
Posts: 261 | From: back home in England | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
and UNIT did pretty much nothing except give the Doctor some flashing lights to show off with.

Did they not find out where the signals that animated the cubes came from, enabling the Doctor and Amy to get to the hospital and find Rory and Brian?

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is one of the very, very few NuHu episodes that made me wish it were an Old School 4-parter. The cubes coming to life and shooting at the Doctor? Great 1st cliffhanger. Worldwide heart attack? 2nd one. Who's actually behind it? Rather than that really rushed half-assed exposition, we get a nifty new bit of Time Lord exposition in an ancient enemy—perhaps like the vampires from State of Decay. The Doctor using his screwdriver more as an aid to cleverness, rather than a magic wand to pull a deus ex machina, defeating Ancient Time Lord Enemy by exploiting their arrogance (you know, what the Doctor does best?) Nice ending. Throw in a promise to visit, to be a good son-in-law, and occasionally bring the wife over for tea, rather than taking Ponds with him? That's how you wrap it up. This one had the best 35 minutes and worst anticlimax of any of this season; there could have been so much more, if they'd just taken the space to develop it.

Also, the narration. It works if you're foreshadowing something later in the episode (e.g., Rassilon narrating the intro to "End of Time"), but otherwise? Leave it out.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Overused] You should damn well write for the show, Ariston. I can just feel how great the pacing would be in your version.

P.S. ITA RE: Narration
P.P.S. What did YOU think of the incidental music? It was driving me nuts.

[ 24. September 2012, 01:48: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hilaryg:
Was this when Rory left his phone charger in Henry VIII's bedroom?

I loved that line

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly, I actually don't notice the incidental music that often, except when it's repetitive . . . which it often is. I realize the soundtrack release will have 70 different tracks, one for each cue in each episode, but they all boil down to "someone's doing action/emotion X again." Which, really, makes it seem as if there's a stock set of emotions and actions.

Okay, there kind of is. Yes, there's "Doctor being hyperactive and silly," "Doctor being clever," "Doctor taking off the gloves," "Doctor being introspective," "Companion(s) in trouble," "Chase sequence," and "Universe is doomed," but there's a whole lot of variation within each of these tropes. Plus, I get tired of hearing the same old "Doctor is Being Clever" themes over and over again.

As to the pacing issue—and the idea that this should be a 2/4 parter—it struck me that this is one of the few instances in which I agree with the idea that an episode is trying to do too much. While I actually like the ambitious episodes that try to get as many ideas as possible (I usually think there's one idea, the others are simply complexity), the problem with "Power of Three" is that, in addition to being a stand-alone episode that fits in with a character arc (like all the other episodes have done), it's also trying to set up the final episode of the season, the end of the Ponds' time on the show, and get the emotional/thematic tension at just the right place before the final episode begins. It's not allowed to just be an episode; it also has to be the prequel to the next episode, which, let's be honest, is going to need a fair bit of pre-staging.

Let's go with what we know. The next episode will see the end of Amy, Rory, and David; at least one of them may die. The episode will be the first one since last season to have River in it—that is, the first one with the Doctor, his wife, and the in-laws. The next episode will have to sate a rabid fan base that has been waiting for more Who since last Christmas, got a five-week reprieve, and has to wait until next Christmas for more. Oh, and it has to be a good finale. That's a lot for one episode to bear, and the more help it can get, the better.

So, they sacrifice the penultimate episode to make the last one work. This isn't without precedent, mind you; they did it last season with "Closing Time," and, some might argue, with "Turn Left," "Boom Town," and, now that I think about it, "Keeper of Traken." The thing about "Closing Time" and "Power of Three," though, is that they were single-episode stories preceding single-episode finales. "Almost People/Rebel Flesh" worked because it played out a story first, then used the allusions to Amy maybe being pregnant make sense in the last minutes—which was exactly what "A Good Man Goes to War" needed. "Closing Time" failed because it was an excuse to set up the Doctor for his death and the writers clearly thought of it that way; the "now I'm going off to die, thanks for the hat" scenes were the best of an otherwise not-the-best episode. "Power of Three" was a great episode that needed to cut the plot/character arc development (which can't be done without sacrificing an important next episode), a great bit of arc development that needed to cut the episode (um . . .), or just be a two-parter, budget be damned. All of these have problems, but the last one doesn't have problems for us.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Kelly, I actually don't notice the incidental music that often, except when it's repetitive . . . which it often is. I realize the soundtrack release will have 70 different tracks, one for each cue in each episode, but they all boil down to "someone's doing action/emotion X again." Which, really, makes it seem as if there's a stock set of emotions and actions.

Okay, there kind of is. Yes, there's "Doctor being hyperactive and silly," "Doctor being clever," "Doctor taking off the gloves," "Doctor being introspective," "Companion(s) in trouble," "Chase sequence," and "Universe is doomed," but there's a whole lot of variation within each of these tropes. Plus, I get tired of hearing the same old "Doctor is Being Clever" themes over and over again.

For me, "Town Called Mercy" was the musical nadir. The music tricked me into thinking people were overacting; I had to tell myself "they can't hear the overwrought hipper-than- thou soundtrack, don't blame them."

The Monster in a Closet/ wooden dolly ep (title slipping my mind) was the best, because somebody crafty worked up a musical Twilight Zone homage, I am convinced. And it added a tingly creepy vibe that worked well with the mise en scene(YEAH! I said mise en scene I'm a film nerd, kiss my ass. [Biased] )

As for the rest of your post-- food for thought. Several meals worth.
[Cool]

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Let's go with what we know. The next episode will see the end of Amy, Rory, and David

David? Who's David?
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not terribly impressed with the cube story, it all seemed too rushed in the interesting bits and quite tedious in the waiting around bits. Interestingly there is a letter in this week's Catholic Times about the 'Mercy' episode and the ethics of suicide being seen as a positive conclusion in a children's TV show.
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016