homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: (again) Winter 2012 (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: (again) Winter 2012
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I enjoyed that, but am wondering like mad why the Tardis does not like Clara. No doubt we'll find out next week.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Liked it, but it had holes. A minor annoyance was the Doctor mispronouncing "Metabellis III". The time frame photos looked great, but what gave him the idea to do that? Why did he realise there was a connection between Hilarion and the Lizard? (I was hoping the Lizard was the one shouting, "Help Me," and Hilarion was the monster.) And is Hilarion a new companion? With the Lizard?

One again, lots of fun, yet not substantial enough for real satisfaction. This is Galifreyan candy-floss.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night's episode didn't really do it for me, I'm afraid. As I said on another forum, it seemed like lots of bits of really good stories stitched together into something that didn't quite add up to one good story.

I thought the forest scenes, and the "monster", were a bit scary for that time on a Saturday evening. I didn't like the sudden ending (although I suppose once you've done a rescue-from-pocket-universe scene, why show it all again?). I wonder if the "monsters" carried on living in Caliburn House after they were reunited, happily ever after? Alec and Emma could have given them the north wing.

And I too am now intensely curious about why the TARDIS doesn't like Clara.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was ready to come here and say how this was the best episode in ages.

And then the last 2 sappy minutes happened. That was absolute crap. And everything before it had been so GOOD.

Someone complained recently about everything always being resolved by nice, happy emotions. This time it was perfectly possible to end 'happy' but without it being RESOLVED by emotions. But no. They had to go and make it all about emotions again.

To quote Clara, "I'm not happy".

And it had been so GOOD. Two excellent guest actors. Great cinematography (although I could have done with a *teensy* bit less of lightning-filled exterior shots). Loved the "we're all ghosts" speech/scene. A great explanation of why the Doctor was even there.

And a couple of stupid minutes because we can't have anything legitimately NASTY in the story. Aargh.

PS I don't mind sappy stories. There are 2 episodes I've kept on my PVR in the last few years. They're the Vincent Van Gogh one, and the Christmas Carol one. Both tearjerkers. But dammit, even if they were manipulating my emotions they were doing it in a way that felt like all of the same piece. Not this piece of tacked-on feel-good crap. [Mad]

[ 21. April 2013, 13:03: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Sapphire and Steel did it better for hair-raising, low-budget, terrifying plotlines. They'd have taken the "stone tape" idea and come up with something altogether less predictable than an alien trapped in a parallel universe - yes, it was predictable, the Doctor Who writers have used that line before. I was sort of hoping it wouldn't be neatly resolved. The twist was nice but there is altogether a bit too much emphasis on relationship-type stuff which makes it feel more like a soap opera set in space sometimes. And is the reason I stopped watching the Star Trek series. Gimme adventure and suspense.

Peter Hammond (who wrote Sapphire and Steel and some of the earlier Doctor Who episodes) should be invited back and asked to write more. He had the gift.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I liked the twist at the end. Wonder how they'll get round that one next week?

Interesting that we actually saw the Doctor frightened at one point - that's not how he usually is. Also the comment about "he has a sliver of ice in his heart" is instriguing and reminds me of the fairytale about the boy who had a fragment of an evil queen's mirror in his heart, and had to be rescued and restored to normality by (you guessed it) a close female companion.

It feels as if the series as a whole is coming to an end forever. And I'm going to be really put out if they reveal the Doctor's name, and it turns out to be Endeavour.

So does that make the Tardis the Snow Queen? Who stole the Doctor way back when. And if Clara (the ordinary girl) is Gerda to his Kay, are the deaths related to her journeys through Lappland and so on to rescue him? And is Andersen fair game?
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sapphire and Steel, now that brings back childhood memories [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't the book in the Angels in Manhattan episode say that River Song had ice in her heart?

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The concept was great, and for the most part it was executed well. I was less than impressed at the TARDIS being flown into the pocket universe when we'd explicitly been told at least twice that it couldn't work, but I could put up with it. And then it went all to shit. Matchmaker Doctor, arbitrary family connection, a second journey into the apparently impregnable pocket universe. It spoilt what should have been a high-quality example of what Who can be. You don't need to give every single character a happy-ever-after.

To be honest, I also spent much of the time distracted by continuity, after a really glaring error early on. I won't say any more, except that there was a very obvious moment when the Doctor was drinking the milk at the beginning.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bow tie came and went, too.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't he use the bow tie to tie the door handles together? And then retrieve the bow tie from the forest floor when the house disappeared?

One little thing I did like was the mention of "Quantum foam". Real science!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:

One little thing I did like was the mention of "Quantum foam". Real science!

Yeah. More, please!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So can somebody explain to me why the episode's title was "Hide"? I was somewhat distracted while watching it, but I couldn't discern anybody who was hiding. Was it a character name? A monster name? Was it the monster that was hiding? Or the monster's heart-throb?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked it. It wasn't an amazing episode, but it was good.

At some point, someone other than Moffat might start writing Clara with a character of some kind. Or showing not telling that Clara is clever. At the moment can I see Clara hitting the Doctor round the head with a cricket bat? No, I cannot.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's ALWAYS the issue with Moffat! (Show me, don't tell me.)

And it's especially disappointing when the actress in question really has chops, which Ms. Coleman clearly does. Give her a chance to show it! More, I mean.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure how you show clever. I was wondering about that as well. Quick solutions to problems, ahead of the Doctor? Clearly explained solutions to problems with time for the audience to grasp them? Looking thoughtful? Devising gadgets like McGyver? We did see the computing, but that was with an outside applied brain boost.

On the other hand, it does require that the writers be the same sort of clever.

[ 21. April 2013, 19:59: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

In "the Beast Below", the Doctor puts a glass of water on the ground, frowns at it, mutters something about it being off, then walks off. That is eventually explained, but all it takes is that gesture to show that brains cells have started adhering to each other.

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think to some extent, one component is how she's wrong.
The Russian thing is probably an example of it being done pretty well.
She makes a not unreasonable mistake (given the stresses), sees the reaction and draws the conclusion, then the other conclusion.
You see her learning.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Good point.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Jenna-Louise Coleman is showing considerable quality, even with Moffat's - let's be charitable and call it "quirky" - way of writing female characters. One scene in this week's episode that really did work for me was when the Doctor was getting all puppyish about his time-lapse photos, and Clara went into her "We're all ghosts to you" speech. Both actors, I think, judged their performances perfectly.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I think Jenna-Louise Coleman is showing considerable quality, even with Moffat's - let's be charitable and call it "quirky" - way of writing female characters.

Nothing but respect for any woman in that position.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
I was less than impressed at the TARDIS being flown into the pocket universe when we'd explicitly been told at least twice that it couldn't work, but I could put up with it.

No, we were told that the TARDIS would lose energy in four seconds. But she got them out in three. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
So can somebody explain to me why the episode's title was "Hide"?

I read it as a "hide" being a place where birdwatchers look at birds from. But then I'm a birder so I may very well be wrong.

quote:
One scene in this week's episode that really did work for me was when the Doctor was getting all puppyish about his time-lapse photos, and Clara went into her "We're all ghosts to you" speech.

I hope and imagine that every surviving Who scriptwriter who watched the programme thought "Why didn't I think of that?". Highpoint of the ep for me.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having been chatting to a few mates today, they are generally a lot less impressed with this episode than most Shipmates seem to be. As well as all the stuff I'd quibbled about earlier they didn't like the fact that the Doctor knew everything about everyone - including the time traveller's name. Does he need to investigate anything anymore, or does he know it all already?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Does he need to investigate anything anymore, or does he know it all already?

He's there on purpose looking for the psychic. So that he knows who Emma and her future husband are is not a surprise. That he knows they have a time-travelling descendant: it's quite plausible that the history of time travel is one of the things the Doctor is interested in. Especially as being the last time lord he's the default guardian of history. Indeed, it's possible that's why he chose to look for Emma in particular.

Whatever Moffat's faults or virtues at writing women characters he does at least try to write characters. Whereas Gatiss and Cross are writing for The New Series Companion.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
I was less than impressed at the TARDIS being flown into the pocket universe when we'd explicitly been told at least twice that it couldn't work, but I could put up with it.

No, we were told that the TARDIS would lose energy in four seconds. But she got them out in three. [Smile]
Must be some sort of relativity-related observer thing, because it seemed a helluva lot longer than 3 seconds to me.

Now, can someone explain this thing about the writing of female characters? I hear this meme more and more in relation to Moffat and Doctor Who, but I don't see it particularly, and I'm less than convinced right now that it isn't a case of raging confirmation bias.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a heckofalot more than 3 seconds. That plus the 'happy ending' spoilt for me what was otherwise an excellent episode.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As well as all the stuff I'd quibbled about earlier they didn't like the fact that the Doctor knew everything about everyone - including the time traveller's name. Does he need to investigate anything anymore, or does he know it all already?

This seems to be one of those things that differs between writers. The TV Movie with Paul McGann had the Doctor apparently knowing everything about everybody--in ludicrous detail. And even in the New Series, those discussions about how the Doctor knows when some things are fixed in time and some things can be fluid it was strogly suggested that he "sees" the possible futures and knows what things "cannot be," blah blah blah. It was disguised with bafflegab, but basically the writer was suggesting that the Doctor knew everyhting that was going to happen before it happened.

In any event, the concept of the Doctor knowing everything ahead of time is dramatically a Bad Idea in the long run. Which is why other writers ignore it.

And even in this episode he clearly doesn't know everything--he is still digging for hints about Clara's nature from everybody.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I realised after watching that I didn't have the faintest idea why the episode was called "Hide", either.

And count me as another who thought the "we're all ghosts to you" scene was the high point of the episode. The implications of a time-travelling God writ large.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Must be some sort of relativity-related observer thing, because it seemed a helluva lot longer than 3 seconds to me.

Yes, that bothered me, too. It is said somewhere at the beginning, that in the pocket universe, time is different, and a moment lasts for ages, but since they seem to entirely forget about that pretty much instantly, I suppose it cannot be used to explain away that particular detail...

There is another thing I was wondering about, in connection with the ending. That seems to really just exist in order to tie up the story of the somewhat gratuitous monster. Which makes me wonder why the monster was needed at all - surely a threat could have been build quite easily with a contracting forest from which there is no escape, Blair Witch-like?

[ 22. April 2013, 18:26: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does he need to investigate anything anymore

No

quote:
or does he know it all already?
Yes. It will be revealed in the last episode that he is some kind of ultimate deity who decides the fate of the universe. (Remember the Pandorica?)

I'm another one who's intrigued by why the Tardis doesn't like Clara. Perhaps Clara is the Tardis's doom... though I'm still making latent connections between

Clara Oswald
Oswald Bastable (Moorcock's time traveller)
Harold Saxon aka The Master.

Oswald is a Saxon name, after all.

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

In the audio dramas featuring the 8th Doctor (McGann) he travels with Charley (Charlotte) Pollard. She was a temporal anomaly, being alive when she should have been dead. This led to all sorts of jolly adventures. However, the point for now is that one of the side-effects of Charley being a walking anomaly is that the TARDIS doesn't particularly like her.

This seems similar to how the TARDIS reacts to Clara. We already know Clara is some weird form of temporal anomaly, so it is no surprise that the TARDIS is reacting to her presence.

[That's the simple answer for why the TARDIS doesn't like Clara. I also have a more complicated theory involving the Great Intelligence, but it needs a lot more evidence before I float it out there.]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Ariel, I only know Oswald Bastable as E Nesbit's treasure seeker. Did Moorcock borrow him?
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
[That's the simple answer for why the TARDIS doesn't like Clara. I also have a more complicated theory involving the Great Intelligence, but it needs a lot more evidence before I float it out there.]

You don't mean? ... Somebody shaved a Yeti and called it Clara?

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clara had some odd lines this week. Does a girl her age really say 'that's the chap' and 'peachy keen'?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the TARDIS also has Issues with Jack Harkness—any character who doesn't stay dead just doesn't belong in her.

So now we've seen that Who can steal from Cloverfield just as well as anything else. Meh, it's not the first time they've stolen by any means, and Who often does good horror/creepshow episodes. And, of course, yet more playing with the "will they, won't they?" dynamic between Clara and the Doctor. Oh, of course they won't—we've been down that road before—but it's too much fun for the writers to play with, isn't it? And no, they haven't developed her character that much yet, but it often takes a while before companions get fleshed out; Amy and Rose certainly took a while to reach their usual form, and, seeing as Clara's supposed to be a mystery, it's probably entirely intentional that we don't get to know too much about her personality too quickly. Once we get past The Big Reveal, though, they'll probably start writing her normally. It's happened before.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Ariel, I only know Oswald Bastable as E Nesbit's treasure seeker. Did Moorcock borrow him?

Yes, he became an Edwardian-era army officer who lives in a universe where the First World War didn't happen, and travels in time. Moorcock said he wasn't trying to write a sequel, just connect with the flavour of the era. But still. Anyway he has his own adventures. He crops up as a minor character in some of Moorcock's other novels as well, which is where I encountered him.
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, that bothered me, too. It is said somewhere at the beginning, that in the pocket universe, time is different, and a moment lasts for ages, but since they seem to entirely forget about that pretty much instantly, I suppose it cannot be used to explain away that particular detail...
Actually, it could, and it's an important part of the plot, explaining why the figure always appears the same. Except that the time difference is the wrong way round to be of any use, and even with that knowledge, both the Doctor and the TARDIS said it couldn't be done.

Actually, just a thought, and something I'll have to check by rewatching it - when the TARDIS spoke to Clara in the form of Clara, was it the same Clara, or was it actually a different one? She thought the TARDIS was being cheeky and sarcastic, but is it possible that there was something else going on? Of course, there's only so much you can learn from these things - sometimes a Clara is just a Clara.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
quote:

You don't mean? ... Somebody shaved a Yeti and called it Clara?
Need. More. Evidence. For example, I want to see how she reacts around little metal spheres. [Big Grin]

And Ariston is correct. The TARDIS threw itself to the end of the time trying to shake off Captain Jack, so there is NuWho precedent for the TARDIS reacting to anomalies without having to go to the audio dramas.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

Yes, he became an Edwardian-era army officer who lives in a universe where the First World War didn't happen, and travels in time. Moorcock said he wasn't trying to write a sequel, just connect with the flavour of the era. But still. Anyway he has his own adventures. He crops up as a minor character in some of Moorcock's other novels as well, which is where I encountered him.
[spooky time travelling coincidence] I'm just reading 'The End of All Songs', one of the Moorcock books in which Bastable appears. Jherek Carnelian and Amelia Underwood would make excellent Companions.[/spooky time travelling coincidence].

[ 23. April 2013, 20:16: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Longshanks
Apprentice
# 16259

- Posted      Profile for Longshanks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
From Hedgehog
: We already know Clara is some weird form of temporal anomaly, so it is no surprise that the TARDIS is reacting to her presence.

Clara hasn't been given the key.
She is a real person we know now, the anomaly is the multiple appearances.

[ 23. April 2013, 21:32: Message edited by: Longshanks ]

Posts: 8 | From: Great Wen | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Longshanks:
Clara hasn't been given the key.
She is a real person we know now, the anomaly is the multiple appearances.

Welcome aboard the Ship, Longshanks! There is a Welcome thread here if you'd like to introduce yourself to the community at large. I think you will enjoy your time on board.

But back on topic, I think Clara's comment that the TARDIS does not like her is more than her not having a key. In the previous episode (The One With All The Singing), Clara makes a comment that the Doctor doesn't like her--and I attribute that to her not having a key. This is something different. Which should make the next episode (apparently taking place in the TARDIS) full of disclosures!

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's also the bit about the Tardis deciding that the most likely image Clara would trust is herself. I found that interesting. Must watch the episode again to see what was actually said.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome, longshanks. Any questions, just ask a Host. Though if you are an avid follower of Who, grasping the various Ship boards should be a doodle.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was confused as to what happened with all the cables and wires going from the TARDIS to the setup in the music room. How did it stay powered if Clara was flying it into the pocket universe. Lots of odd continuity made the episode distracting - not just the milk but the Doctor's demeanor and bow tie in the switches between the close ups and distance shots when he was stuck in the wood. Didn't need the final two minutes either. I did wonder if there was any connection between this episode and Clara's line about not being scared of ghosts at the very end of the Christmas special...

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I realised after watching that I didn't have the faintest idea why the episode was called "Hide", either.

Because the episode makes you want to hide? Certainly up till the last five minutes at any rate. The scare factor, for me at least, was on a par with Blink. Haunted house, ghost, clockroachesque monster. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

The Doctor used the word when he was stuck in the forest, telling the creature something like: "That's what you do, isn't it? You hide, to make us afraid."

That was the only time I noticed the word being used. I suppose if you wanted to get all metaphorical, you had the scientist trying to hide from his feelings, and the psychic hiding her own feelings of love, and maybe even the Doctor hiding his real reasons for being there from Clara ... but I may be getting over-analytical again.

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Longshanks
Apprentice
# 16259

- Posted      Profile for Longshanks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
..an avid follower of Who, ..
Firenze
Heaven Host

I have been discovered, I grew up in UK with doctors 2-5 so this thread has been a trip through memory lane, thanks to all shipmates for that.
Posts: 8 | From: Great Wen | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Inanna:
I suppose if you wanted to get all metaphorical, you had the scientist trying to hide from his feelings, and the psychic hiding her own feelings of love, and maybe even the Doctor hiding his real reasons for being there from Clara ... but I may be getting over-analytical again.

I like that. Everybody was hiding something (except, possibly, Clara because we don't know what is up with her).

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two questions, as I use my special Overanalyzing Ray on things:

1. So Clara doesn't have a TARDIS key. We're three episodes and multiple adventures in to her tenure, and still no key. Most companions in NuHu have gotten theirs first episode—"hello, I'm the Doctor, oh, have to save the world, okay, problem solved, welcome, here's your key." We saw him give it to Clara 0.2 right before she got tossed off the cloud, so we have reason to believe that, if she weren't known to be Weird, she'd already have one. So...where's her key? Why hasn't the Doctor given her one yet? And what's the significance of all this?

2. Okay, so back in "Asylum," all the way at the beginning of this season, Oswin in her audio journal mentions "it's my mum's birthday. Happy birthday, mum; I made you a soufflé, but it was too beautiful to live." Clara's mum is, well, dead. Is this another bit of rhetorical "talking to the dead" (her speech changes cadence, if you listen carefully), or something else in the foreshadowing/Clara's Weird department?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Two questions, as I use my special Overanalyzing Ray on things:

1. So Clara doesn't have a TARDIS key. We're three episodes and multiple adventures in to her tenure, and still no key. Most companions in NuHu have gotten theirs first episode—"hello, I'm the Doctor, oh, have to save the world, okay, problem solved, welcome, here's your key." We saw him give it to Clara 0.2 right before she got tossed off the cloud, so we have reason to believe that, if she weren't known to be Weird, she'd already have one. So...where's her key? Why hasn't the Doctor given her one yet? And what's the significance of all this?

2. Okay, so back in "Asylum," all the way at the beginning of this season, Oswin in her audio journal mentions "it's my mum's birthday. Happy birthday, mum; I made you a soufflé, but it was too beautiful to live." Clara's mum is, well, dead. Is this another bit of rhetorical "talking to the dead" (her speech changes cadence, if you listen carefully), or something else in the foreshadowing/Clara's Weird department?

He gave her one in the Christmas special. And did he ever give Amy or Rory one?

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016