homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: (again) Winter 2012 (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: (again) Winter 2012
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And rhymes. Though at least nobody tried to sing them.

When the Doctor fell to the floor next to his timestream, I thought of 'A man is the sum of his memories ... a Time Lord even more so'. And someone (River?) said the 'A world without the Doctor?' line too.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really enjoyed it and so can forgive the things that didn't really work. I can probably forgive anything for all the cameos of the other doctors (I'm another who remembers the very first episode - well, two things from it - it's bigger on the inside! And how wonderful to live in a scrapyard! I was very young).

As for who John Hurt is - well, the Valeyard is hardly a secret, so I don't think that can be right.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ondergard:
Because, in my view, the whole thing has been gradually disappearing up the Time Lord's dung funnel, story wise. Recently, it has always been all about the Doctor, not all about the stories the Doctor of which he has been part, which it always used to be (outlandishly, or not). Virtually every new story is the same story, with just a change of nemesis - but they have all been about someone trying to destroy the Doctor, about his importance to the Universe - it hasn't been about the story at all - it's been about the story maker.. and that is not just not right, it's too unremittingly deep, too unswervingly dense and too much about the mechanics - too much about the why of the who, rather than the what.

Quite so, with lots of lovey-dovey where there could be timey-wimey, spacey-wacey or exterm-inatey.

Week after week we get "Here's a time/place being visited by the Doctor and his current squeeze. There's a crisis. The Doctor solves it, almost inevitably with a sonic screwdriver" (makes me wish he could at least occasionally reverse the polarity of the neutron flow). And ever now and again we have the 'big story', which is basically the same, but played as though it were a combination of Hamlet and Brief Encounter, but in 45 minutes.

It would be good if we could have an adventure every now and again.

[ 20. May 2013, 07:05: Message edited by: Chapelhead ]

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Missing, however, was any authorization to use the Mind Probe.

It'll be all tied up in the Sonic Screwdriver now, which can do everything.
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched the last episode yesterday and my feelings by the end could be summed up as relief that it wasn't any worse.
I think you are right Chapelhead in that it has become far too much about the Doctor, it was nice to see some of the previous Doctors but I wonder if they are going to destroy the mystery of his character if they explain too much. It is coming perilously close to bringing the series to an end for me, having revealed all what would they have left to do?

Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the criticisms that the past couple of years have been too much about the Doctor. Moffat should change direction now: the show was traditionally about things happening to the Doctor, not the Doctor happening to things.

Still loved it, though. And I still rather hope we haven't seen the last of the Great Intelligence. It's been a while since we had a villain who sneers as well as Richard E. Grant.

About the ... er ... new Doctor. Is it significant, perhaps, that "our" Doctor was talking about him in the past tense? Perhaps an older version of Eight? Or an Eight-and-a-half? The Doctor who ended the Time War? Whoever he is, the "To be continued..." suggests he'll be back for the 50th. (And what does it say about the quality of John Hurt as an actor, that he managed to send chills down my spine with a couple of brief lines of dialogue, delivered with his back to the camera!)

Oh, and one more thing. How did River Song's gravestone end up on Trenzalore? We've already seen her die....

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
Also, the Guardian misquotes the relevant scene in the Sarah-Jane adventures: When asked how many lives/regenerations (can't remember which) he has, he answers "507", which probably implies that he does not know, but does not imply that the number is infinite. Last night during discussion after the episode, we checked (for a joke) whether 507 was a multiple of 13: turns out it is, twice over (3 x 13 x 13)! What are the odds of that being coincidence?

Depends on the probabilistic weight assigned to design (for what purpose?), but there's a 1 in 13 possibility of hitting a multiple of 13 purely by chance. [Razz]

I need to watch it again. And again. And quite possibly again. My first impression is that this serves two purposes, killing two birds with one stone. First, if the Doctor and Clara remain within his timeline, it allows for previous Doctor(s) to return for the 50th anniversary without any awkward questions about paradox/Blinovitch that ought to arise if you're going to go around meeting yourself.

Second, I'm betting it's an attempt to deal with the thorny problem of the Valeyard, who is canon, whatever anyone else says (but possibly not for much longer), and who has traditionally been associated with the 12th Doctor. Wikipedia tells me he was an amalgamation of the Doctor from his 12th to his final incarnation, so the odds are that Moffat's working towards rewriting history so that Matt Smith doesn't eventually regenerate into an unsympathetic antihero.

Honestly, my initial reaction was somewhere between "Wow!" and "WTF?" Once again, a supposed conclusion did little more than waving a hand and replacing one question with five more, but it felt as if there was lots in there that would reward further viewings.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Oh, and one more thing. How did River Song's gravestone end up on Trenzalore? We've already seen her die....

They discussed that in the episode and that it was a false grave as a marker to a secret passage to the giant tardis tomb.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
IMHO there is not nearly enough woo-hooing on this thread about the incorporation of William Hartnell into the story. I am willing to forgive a lot of nonsense (including a large chunk of the past season) because of the utterly classy way Bill was worked into the story.

Snap! I loved that part too.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
I'm betting it's an attempt to deal with the thorny problem of the Valeyard, who is canon, whatever anyone else says (but possibly not for much longer), and who has traditionally been associated with the 12th Doctor. Wikipedia tells me he was an amalgamation of the Doctor from his 12th to his final incarnation, so the odds are that Moffat's working towards rewriting history so that Matt Smith doesn't eventually regenerate into an unsympathetic antihero.

After watching the episode I was reminded of this...

"Trial of a Time Lord" Excerpt - Doctor Who -

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think it was in an earlier draft, but it was nixed by Moff: "No. Not the Mind Probe." So it was taken out.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been watching the repeats of "I, Claudius". It isn't just that I cannot see John Hurt camping it up without it casting a strange light on the possibilities in the character he is about to play, it's that there are other things which seem to have informed earlier plotlines. Caligula is troubled by persistent galloping sounds in his head, as the Master was by drumming.
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
...we checked (for a joke) whether 507 was a multiple of 13: turns out it is, twice over (3 x 13 x 13)! What are the odds of that being coincidence?

Depends on the probabilistic weight assigned to design (for what purpose?), but there's a 1 in 13 possibility of hitting a multiple of 13 purely by chance. [Razz]

However, hitting a multiple of the square of 13 has only a 1 in 39 chance, and the factor to be assigned to the possibility of intention is unknown - though in the case of both RTD and Moffat, probably considerable [Biased]
Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if there is an incarnation of the Master out there somewhere with all the good bits of his character?
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

I think it was in an earlier draft, but it was nixed by Moff: "No. Not the Mind Probe." So it was taken out.
Are you sure he didn't write it in capitals?

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Ondergard
Shipmate
# 9324

- Posted      Profile for Ondergard   Email Ondergard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And STILL nobody explains to me this Valeyard reference... it's like asking for someone to interpret a knitting pattern if you've never picked up needles, or a recipe book if you've never cooked... someone, please, tell me who or what this Valeyard is supposed to be, and why I have no recollection of ever having heard it before it was mentioned on these pages?

[ 21. May 2013, 13:09: Message edited by: Ondergard ]

Posts: 276 | From: Essex | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ondergard, explanation right here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeyard

I'd never heard of him either until 10 minutes ago, but I, erm, Googled ... [Biased]

My first Doctor was Three. Watched the Baker era fairly avidly during my teens, lost interest when I went to uni.

I haven't missed an ep of the New Who. [Smile]

I loved Saturday's finale! Clever, emotional and satisyfing, just what a Doctor Who finale should be. Not too clever for its own good either: I do enjoy it when I can watch a Who ep and understand EVERYTHING that's going on. [Big Grin] [Smile]

And the final twist was ... YEAH. [Smile]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually there's no real need for a new viewer to know who the Valeyard is - just that it's a name the Doctor has had or will have sometime. Fans can have fun with the name-check, but I really doubt there's any more to it than that.

I'm intrigued by some of the Doctor's (our Doctor's) dialogue towards the end - "The name you take, it's not just a name, it's a promise." And then, "He's the one who broke the promise."

What promise? "Doctor" is either a teacher or (as in season 6) "the man who makes people better". Is that what the person we call "the Doctor" promised to do? And if so, then what could the Hurt Doctor (as fans seem to be starting to call him) do to break such a promise?

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, I'm guessing that Hurt Doctor (great name, that one) is neither the Valyard (who isn't secret, who is known, and who has his own mythos) nor the incarnation who pressed the button and activated the Moment during the Time War, since it's not exactly a secret that the Doctor did that himself.

Personally, I'm guessing someone completely new, connected with some question we haven't even thought to ask yet.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And STILL nobody explains to me this Valeyard reference... it's like asking for someone to interpret a knitting pattern if you've never picked up needles, or a recipe book if you've never cooked... someone, please, tell me who or what this Valeyard is supposed to be, and why I have no recollection of ever having heard it before it was mentioned on these pages?

There's a partial explaination just after your earlier post. (I've missed replies quite often, so I don't blame you, but we weren't deliberately ignoring you).

A bit later someone posted a "Youtube" clip from the "Trial of a Time Lord". It's not obviously Valeyard related, but it is. It may put it in context, or it may (I suspect) raise more questions.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
....nor the incarnation who pressed the button and activated the Moment during the Time War, since it's not exactly a secret that the Doctor did that himself.

McCoy's Doctor and Ace witnessed the destruction of Skaro in Remembrance of the Daleks And to be honest caused it, though the Doctor's hands weren;t in fact on the trigger - the Doctor tricked and goaded Davros into doing it.

That was the 25th anniversay series, exactly 25 years ago. And as I've said in this thread before, one of the best.

Makes me wonder what Dr Who's track record of anniversary programmes is. So lets choose to believge Wikipedia for a moment...

1st anniversary story is famously The Dalek Invasion of Earth

5th anniversary serial is The Invasion including the first appearance of the Brigadier as commander of UNIT (though Lethbridge-Stweart was in a previous story)

There was no Dr Who showing at the time of the 10th anniversary but Season 11 kicked off three weeks later with The Time Warrior where we first meet Sarah Jane Smith, the Sontarans, and the planet Gallifrey

20th anniversary is The Five Doctors

25th anniversary story was billed as Resurrection of the Daleks (Back to the time and place of the very first story to see a Dalek Civil War ending in the destruction of Skaro in the past - so maybe the first explicit Time War story even if the idea sort of goes back to Genesis of the Daleks) but if I can believe Wikipedia the one actualy transmitted on the 23rd November was Silver Nemesis, a Cyberman story which was nowhere near as good.

There was, alas, no 30th anniversary show. Or even 40th.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken, wasn't The Three Doctors considered to be the 10th Anniversary story? It may not have been shown exactly on the 10th Anniversary, but it clearly was meant to celebrate the show's history.

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I'm intrigued by some of the Doctor's (our Doctor's) dialogue towards the end - "The name you take, it's not just a name, it's a promise." And then, "He's the one who broke the promise."

What promise? "Doctor" is either a teacher or (as in season 6) "the man who makes people better". Is that what the person we call "the Doctor" promised to do? And if so, then what could the Hurt Doctor (as fans seem to be starting to call him) do to break such a promise?

Remember that this is the 11th Doctor speaking. He seems to have a different sense of his assumed name than the others. Remember the space whale story? He feels that he has to lobotimize the space whale to save the remnants of the Brits and very clearly states that, after that, he will have to get a new name "because I won't be the Doctor any more." He clearly feels that the name "Doctor" is not associated with such acts. But prior incarnations of the Doctor don't seem to have taken this "promise" all that seriously, considering that they have been responsible for genocide, planet busting, and sacrificing Gallifrey for the sake of the universe--twice.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What? Did you miss my post?

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
quote:

What? Did you miss my post?
And mine. I sort of explained it. Its Wikipedia article explains it pretty well.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yonatan:
I sort of explained it. Its Wikipedia article explains it pretty well.

I'm not sure it's possible to do more than sort of explain it. If you even try to understand it you're probably putting in more thought than went into Trial of a Time Lord in the first place.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken the Doctor was off our screens for the 40th. There is a brilliant big finish 3 disc audio called Zegrus that was made to celebrate. It featured mainly Paul McGann but also several of the other Doctors in different guises. The assistant at the time was India Fisher as Charlie (Charlotte) there were also lots of other assistants in several guises. It is fab and well worth listening to.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
There is a brilliant big finish 3 disc audio called Zegrus that was made to celebrate. It featured mainly Paul McGann but also several of the other Doctors in different guises.

I gather that not everybody thinks Zagreus is that good.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

It's pretty bizarre, but I enjoyed it.

But then I love 'Bang Bang a Boom' (Doctor Who meets Eurovision and takes the mickey out of Star Trek) too, so what do I know?!

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

So, thinking about this past two half seasons, I think my ranking goes something like this:

1. Angels Take Manhattan
2. Asylum of the Daleks
3. Journey to the Heart of the Tardis
4. The Name of the Doctor
5. The Snowmen
6. Hide
7. The Rings of Akhaten
8. The Bells of St John
9. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
10. Nightmare in Silver
11. A Town Called Mercy
12. The Crimson Horror
13. Cold War
14. The Power of Three

I think the exact order from 7 to 11 may vary according to my mood. In particular, A Town Called Mercy may be suffering from it being a long time since I saw it.

--------------------

vascopyjama
Shipmate
# 1953

- Posted      Profile for vascopyjama   Email vascopyjama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something has been bothering me.... When the Master died his body had to be burned because he was a time lord. When the Doctor "died" in America, his body was burned. So if it is time lord protocol to burn their dead, how can the Doctor have a grave??

--------------------
Behold the duck. The scent of a wet dog. The familiar ahh of your own bed. Things to ponder.

Posts: 298 | From: The Sea of Turbidity | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because he's been erasing all knowledge of himself (and presumably Time Lords) from the universe. When he died maybe nobody knew that Time Lords had to be burned.

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the grave didn't contain a body. As the Doctor said: "Bodies are boring - I've had loads of them."

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm - Dafyd I'm currently rewatching the last half season, and trying to decide which is the worst episode. Competition is stiff, but I think I'd go for the ghost episode, closely followed by the salvage one. The best is possibly the Crimson Horror, but I'm still making up my mind.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We spent the afternoon at the Cambridge Picture House watching the film 'the Dalek Invasion', which was preceded by a talk by a friend on Daleks and Nazis (he's got a chapter in a new book out on Doctor Who and philosophy). It was wonderful watching the dodgy sets and OTT acting again [Big Grin]

We're hoping to go again tomorrow to watch 'Doctor who and the Daleks' with another talk.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have finally got round to watching the TV movie. Like the present series it suffered from pacing, but for the opposite reasons. It took too long to get going.

It had a lot of good moments though, but it displays the difference between US and UK in SF. A chase through the streets between a motor bike and an ambulance is fine for the Terminator or Matrix films, and I enjoyed both, but it isn't Doctor Who.

I'm glad they never commissioned a series.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to mention the "I'm half human on my mother's side" comment. Shame Paul McGann couldn't have carried on when it returned to the BBC though. He had the makings of a fine Doctor.
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the best moments about the finale was the masterly way in which old footage was skilfully cut to make it look as though Clara was having a conversation with William Hartnell. It was just a shame, as others have noted, that this completely undercut the moving revelation in "The Doctor's Wife" where the TARDIS explained that she actually stole the Doctor. Moff seems to have no respect for the stories on his watch, let alone any others.

What would have been good would have been to use other old footage to show Clara saving the Doctor in the past - maybe pushing him out of the way of a Dalek blast and getting exterminated herself. As it is, not only have we not seen her as a saviour in the past but that hasn't been apparent in the present either. Apart from when she was inside the Dalek, has she ever saved him? Clara is being let down by the writing - which is a shame as I like her character a lot.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
One of the best moments about the finale was the masterly way in which old footage was skilfully cut to make it look as though Clara was having a conversation with William Hartnell. It was just a shame, as others have noted, that this completely undercut the moving revelation in "The Doctor's Wife" where the TARDIS explained that she actually stole the Doctor.

Still, that can be explained away fairly easily. The TARDIS was not exactly using language the way we would. See, for example, "biting is like kissing, only there is a winner" doesn't show a true grasp of the meaning of biting and kissing. She also struggled with "hello." I don't think we can hold her to a literal meaning of "stole." The Doctor stole the TARDIS, and then she made sure that he could not direct it well enough to return to Gallifrey (at least until she was sure of him). In that sense, she stole him. After all, the Doctor has frequently commented that he always "intended" to return the TARDIS.

Frankly, I have made much longer stretches to cover inconsistencies.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, in a way, she did kind of send Clara back to make sure she got stolen. If the Doctor's timestream was kept inside of her, she might be the one who in some way knew/ensured that Clara was sent to be at the right place at the right time to keep her sister from getting taken.

Again, the TARDIS works in strange ways (and the writers in still stranger ones). I don't think anything got too contradicted, certainly not by the rather convoluted standards of Who.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

And yet that Tardis hates Clara. Isn't that a bit odd, if Clara's eternal mission is to keep the Doctor safe?

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After reading the last few posts I feel my brain is dribbling out of my ears...

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
And yet that Tardis hates Clara. Isn't that a bit odd, if Clara's eternal mission is to keep the Doctor safe?

The Tardis' mission is to make the doctor's life interesting

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hot news!

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
Hot news!

Oh my! Contrary to a lot of press speculation over the past couple of weeks ...

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mourhino's available...

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

I know he's supposed to be the Special One, but that's taking it a tad far!
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So maybe it really will be John Hurt.

Well, for the special, anyway.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
So maybe it really will be John Hurt.

There'd have to be a lot less running. He's not as young as he was.

Mind you, they could then bring back Derek Jacobi as the Master. Claudius and Caligula - the final face-off.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do hope they don't continue the trend of ever younger and hotter Doctors ... I like the idea of someone with a bit more gravitas.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

So do I. It would be good to revert to having an older actor again.

If there was less running about, though, there might have to be more plot.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016