homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: (again) Winter 2012 (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: (again) Winter 2012
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shame about the timing. He's finally doing something decent in the role, now that he's ditched Amy. I've been half tempted to buy the last half season on DVD, when nothing would have induced me to get his earlier stuff, even though the stories have been so naff.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(sigh.) Mixed feelings. Although I look forward to seeing what else Smith can put his talents to, I'm surprised how sad all the gazillion things on my feed have made me.

The goodbye announcement was wonderfully written.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
So do I. It would be good to revert to having an older actor again.

If there was less running about, though, there might have to be more plot.

But then the writers might actually be required to write. That is, like, work and stuff.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, exactly. [Ultra confused]
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Shame about the timing. He's finally doing something decent in the role, now that he's ditched Amy. I've been half tempted to buy the last half season on DVD, when nothing would have induced me to get his earlier stuff, even though the stories have been so naff.

I think he, as an actor, has always been incredibly good in the role. The problem, as you say, is the material he's been given to work with, although I'm not sure why Amy comes into this. If there's a perceived improvement in his work, I suggest it's down to getting used to his character and interpretation, rather than just thinking of him as "Not Tennant".

On which subject, I feel confident that the next Doctor will be both someone who hasn't been mentioned much in the speculation sweeping across the internet, and someone who will do very well. But I do hope we don't get an entire series devoted to finding out about him at the expense of fripperies like decent stories.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I credit myself with discovering Matt Smith. I saw him in The Ruby in the Smoke in, I think, 2005 or 2006, and I thought, "You know, in about ten years he could be a brilliant Doctor."

And he has been. At his best he has something of Troughton about him, with just a dash of Hartnell. (I loved the way he used to call Amy "Pond".) His Doctor seems a lot older than he (Smith) is, and that's not easy for an actor to sustain. He's amazing when he's acting with children. I wish he'd given us another year, but he has other things to be doing, and I think he's always going to be a very busy actor.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any actor in the past couple of years who's made me think, "You know, s/he could be a brilliant Doctor..."

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was he in The Ruby in the Smoke? Well, well, my memory's lapsing. But seconded all that Adeodatus says here.

I'm very sad that he's going, but pleased that he has other work lined up. I love the way he appears to be an old soul - and his tetchiness and sudden rage.

And I will remember fondly forever his showing ID to the vampires in Venice, only to clock that it's his old library card with Hartnell's photo on it... [Killing me]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Unfortunately I haven't seen any actor in the past couple of years who's made me think, "You know, s/he could be a brilliant Doctor..."

Benedict Cumberbatch.
Martin Freeman.
Colin Morgan.
Sean Pertwee.
Paul McGann.

I'd be happy to see any of them in the role (not sure what Sean Pertwee's doing these days but he always used to be all right).

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the next Doctor is going to be somebody unexpected should we avoid talking about people we want to do it because that would take them off the shortlist?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Benedict Cumberbatch.
Martin Freeman.
Colin Morgan.
Sean Pertwee.
Paul McGann.

I'd be happy to see any of them in the role (not sure what Sean Pertwee's doing these days but he always used to be all right).

Apparently Martin Freeman is 16-1 - however, so is Billie Piper [Confused] Cumberbatch, Morgan and Pertwee also in the frame.

But all I really want to say is: [Waterworks]

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
So do I. It would be good to revert to having an older actor again.

If there was less running about, though, there might have to be more plot.

But then the writers might actually be required to write. That is, like, work and stuff.
My email address is a matter of public record, in case the Moff is reading the thread. I'd give my right arm to do a Who.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Colin Morgan but I suspect he is too young and they'll want someone older. Benedict Cumberbatch would be fantastic but possibly slightly obvious - wasn't there rumours that he turned it down before as he was busy? But he (and Freeman) do already have links with Moffat through Sherlock so are possibilities. Martin Freeman would be a more original choice though.
Stephen Mangan who played Dirk Gently has also been suggested. He might be a little too comedic for my liking.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cumberbatch and Freeman are still, as far as I know, occupied on another Moffat project and unlikely to be available for something the size of Doctor Who.

Colin Morgan, good actor though he is, still looks about twelve. That's "twelve", not "Twelve".

Sean Pertwee ... well I suppose it would make Doctor Who the family business, but I can't really see him having a quirky or funny side.

Paul McGann. Nope. Done it before. No repeats.

A totally insane thought did occur to me yesterday - what about Mark Gatiss? Or is he being groomed to take over from Moffat?

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband suggested Mark Gatiss (we were watching repeats of Sherlock last night). That would be fabulous [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
My husband suggested Mark Gatiss (we were watching repeats of Sherlock last night). That would be fabulous [Smile]

His Mycroft in Sherlock is excellent, and I think actually better in the second series. He actually gets to be serious, and angry, and proper acting things like that. I'm not sure how physically fit he is - and you do need to be to play the Doctor. And if he were to take it on, the show would be robbed of probably its best candidate to run it after Moffat goes.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somebody was saying on the BBC the other morning that it takes 8 months out of the year to film, so a lot of these suggested wellknown names just don't have the time to put into it as they are already tied up with other projects.

I would prefer a relatively unknown actor to take over. Just so long as the new Doctor is not female - equality and all that in other ways but not, please, for Twelve [Roll Eyes] .

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I would go for Dylan Moran, Richard Coyle or Stephen Mangan. None are too high profile (with the possible exception of Mangan) and have the right blend of arrogance, humour and quirkiness.
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh! Just thought about Julian Barrett in a floppy hat and long scarf - it could work!
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Stephen Mangan who played Dirk Gently has also been suggested. He might be a little too comedic for my liking.

Dirk Gently is Tom Baker's Doctor, with a paper thing disguise and the labels taken off.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And if he were to take it on, the show would be robbed of probably its best candidate to run it after Moffat goes.

If what you want Doctor Who to be is the Pertwee era paralysed with leech venom and stored in an airtight antiseptic glass bell jar, then Gatiss would be perfect.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cumberbatch would be perfect, but he might be more leaning Hollywood than Pinwood.

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
I would prefer a relatively unknown actor to take over. Just so long as the new Doctor is not female - equality and all that in other ways but not, please, for Twelve [Roll Eyes] .

Oooh, possibilities. I would love this.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
My email address is a matter of public record, in case the Moff is reading the thread. I'd give my right arm to do a Who.

I'd give cash money to watch it. [Overused]

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
And if he were to take it on, the show would be robbed of probably its best candidate to run it after Moffat goes.

If what you want Doctor Who to be is the Pertwee era paralysed with leech venom and stored in an airtight antiseptic glass bell jar, then Gatiss would be perfect.
Given that the alternative is probably Chris Chibnall, who ran Torchwood, I'd take Gatiss any day. His scripts this season have been his best received yet, and he's been gaining valuable show-running experience as Moffat's partner over at Sherlock. Though I have been musing on the oddness that Doctor Who increasingly finds itself in the 1890s, while Sherlock has been transposed into the 21st century.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
quote:

Oooh, possibilities. I would love this.
We had a relatively unknown actor playing the Doctor. He was called Matt Smith.

Bring on Bernard Cribbins. Wilf could be the next incarnation, having fallen through a time warp and lost all memories of those Gallifrey days and subsequent adventures, and now discovered by River Song not to be Wilf at all but a later incarnation of the Doctor, living peacefully in the early part of the 21st century. For reasons as yet undisclosed.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

No, no, I meant the female bit, not the unknown.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Currently watching Season 27, with Eccleston, and marvelling at how good it is consistently. The episodes written by Moff were particualry good - but he hasn't done it as a Director. Therefore I would beware of Gatiss taking over control of everything, although the idea of him as Doctor is appealing.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

Isn't River Song enough for you?

(I'm with Pine Marten here. I'd hate to see a female Doctor Who.)

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

Yes... I don't want a female Doctor who is married to the divine Prof. Song (either in the past or in the future), and who is/was a grandfather to Susan. It's just not right. So there.

I would happily see Wilf again though.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

sigh River Song
quote:
Yes... I don't want a female Doctor who is married to the divine Prof. Song (either in the past or in the future), and who is/was a grandfather to Susan. It's just not right. So there.

I understand, it is because the rest makes soooo much sense...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
Ooh! Just thought about Julian Barrett in a floppy hat and long scarf - it could work!

If we're looking at Julians, Mr Rhind-Tutt would fit the bill nicely. [Big Grin] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, cute [Razz]

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

sigh River Song
quote:

I understand, it is because the rest makes soooo much sense...

What I read was that they strongly considered several women for the Doctor (in the talking phase)before Smith nailed his audition.

Emma Thompson was one. Emma freaking Thompson. Can you imagine?

And personally I don't see River as having a huge problem with a partner who has a certain amount of flexibility, if you know what I mean. Plus which-- a thousand years. Don't you think sheer curiosity would have driven the Doctor to change sexes as some point? We already have precedent to suggest he doesn't strictly use regeneration energy in emergency situations.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Don't you think sheer curiosity would have driven the Doctor to change sexes as some point?

I get the feeling that (unlike Romana), the Doctor isn't very good at influencing what his next body will be...

For some odd reason, I have always felt that Timelords have distinct genders (so the Doctor stays male, Romana stays female), but I have absolutely no evidence for that and will happily be proved wrong. There was Joanna Lumley after all...

It'd be quite cool if John Hurt were to stick around, though [Smile] (Just as I would have liked to see more of Derek Jacobi as the Master, back then)

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Given that the alternative is probably Chris Chibnall, who ran Torchwood, I'd take Gatiss any day. His scripts this season have been his best received yet, and he's been gaining valuable show-running experience as Moffat's partner over at Sherlock. Though I have been musing on the oddness that Doctor Who increasingly finds itself in the 1890s, while Sherlock has been transposed into the 21st century.

Torchwood was fundamentally flawed in a way that has to be laid to Davies' account. Chibnall's scripts for Doctor Who have generally been sound in their premises: in the ones that I've seen it's been the pacing that's been dodgy. I think I'd rather have a showrunner with sound ideas and dodgy execution that the reverse. (I'm a Cartmel-era fan.) He's also just got valuable showrunning experience on Broadchurch. I'll give you that both Gatiss' scripts this season were better than Victory of the Daleks.
Anyway, we needn't choose between Chibnall and Gatiss. Toby Whithouse has just had Being Human cancelled on him.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
For some odd reason, I have always felt that Timelords have distinct genders (so the Doctor stays male, Romana stays female), but I have absolutely no evidence for that and will happily be proved wrong.

In The Doctor's Wife, the Doctor tells us about the Corsair, who changes gender.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Toby Whithouse has just had Being Human cancelled on him.

He is such a freaking great writer!
[Yipee]

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
For some odd reason, I have always felt that Timelords have distinct genders (so the Doctor stays male, Romana stays female), but I have absolutely no evidence for that and will happily be proved wrong.

In The Doctor's Wife, the Doctor tells us about the Corsair, who changes gender.
They've been fairly good at odd comments to give some flexibility to build on in the future (the regenerations one in SJA also).

That said a female the Doctor feels like it would feel wrong. I'm not sure why, I hope it's not a sign that I feel saving the world is a boy thing (though if it were, then I shouldn't have liked SJA, but they were on a smaller scale and spinoffy so...). It might be different if it actually happens.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock is the best Doctor Who we'll never have.

The Guardian website poll suggests Chiwetel Ojiofor, Stephen Mangan, and Rupert Grint. The latter two I'd thought about, though Rupert Grint is too young; Chiwetel Ojiofor is great in whatever he's in. It also suggests Damien Molony (Hal from Being Human). When I saw that I thought, yes, that's it. I cannot imagine how he'd do it but he would be brilliant.
(On that note, Lenora Crichlow now heads my list of female candidates.)

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

Now there's a thought: Damien Molony. He could certainly bring the young-but-an-old-soul thing that Matt does so well. And he's not so well known as to be likely out of the running.

[sob] I wept when Mitchell died; I wept again for George and Nina [/sob]

--------------------

Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bear in mind that the announcement of Matt Smith's casting was made in January 2009, a whole year before the broadcast of The End of Time Part 2.

My hunch is that Twelve has already been cast, and that it is possible that the Moff will be off as well, replaced by either Mark Gatiss or Chris Chibnall. I really don't think that the Moff will sabotage his successor by casting a woman, but I would be really intrigued if Colin Salmon, Doctor Moon in Silence in the Library was cast.

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We spent the afternoon at the Cambridge Picture House watching the film 'the Dalek Invasion', which was preceded by a talk by a friend on Daleks and Nazis (he's got a chapter in a new book out on Doctor Who and philosophy). It was wonderful watching the dodgy sets and OTT acting again [Big Grin]

We're hoping to go again tomorrow to watch 'Doctor who and the Daleks' with another talk.

One of the scariest things I ever saw was a flying Dalek in a temporary museum at Land's End a few years ago.

I don't think we need a woman Doctor Who, though there was a profile of an actress who might be good in the Telegraph yesterday. I cannot find a way to link to the article unfortunately.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

I got in a Dalek once, when we had some on display in the galleries in which I was working at the time [Yipee] .

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Binge:
Bear in mind that the announcement of Matt Smith's casting was made in January 2009, a whole year before the broadcast of The End of Time Part 2.

My hunch is that Twelve has already been cast, and that it is possible that the Moff will be off as well, replaced by either Mark Gatiss or Chris Chibnall. I really don't think that the Moff will sabotage his successor by casting a woman, but I would be really intrigued if Colin Salmon, Doctor Moon in Silence in the Library was cast.

Colin Salmon might be a good choice, a good mature actor, he'd bring some class to the role.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Colin Salmon might be a good choice, a good mature actor, he'd bring some class to the role.
This is the bit from Silence in the Library that grabbed my attention and made me think of Colin Salmon as a potentially great Doctor:

Silence in the Library: Doctor Moon

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:

Silence in the Library: Doctor Moon

My 12 year old has just said 'doesn't she look like Clara?' [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She does a bit in the expressionalism (made up word) of her face.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
quote:
quote:

They've been fairly good at odd comments to give some flexibility to build on in the future (the regenerations one in SJA also).

That said a female the Doctor feels like it would feel wrong. I'm not sure why, I hope it's not a sign that I feel saving the world is a boy thing (though if it were, then I shouldn't have liked SJA, but they were on a smaller scale and spinoffy so...). It might be different if it actually happens.

Yes, I've been wondering about The Doctor's Wife. On the one hand, it was a blink-and-you-miss-it throwaway line in a standalone episode by a guest writer (unlike the bit in SJA, which was by RTD, and sign-posted within the dialogue), on the other hand, GAiman may have been explicitly allowed or even asked to place it.
(Too early to be a hint at a concrete casting decision, in any case...).

To me it would feel odd if the Doctor were to become a woman, but not completely wrong, and I'm sure I'd get used to it if she stayed true to the character (within its rather wide parameters).
It's not about female roles as such though: I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a female Timelord running around saving the world - I'd just prefer her to be different person (...which reminds me - is Romana still in E-space somewhere?).

quote:
Chiwetel Ojiofor is great in whatever he's in.

Alas, like my favourite (John Hurt), he is also likely to be busy... [Frown]
Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today, the cover story of The Daily Star, was the suggestion that one Paris Jackson was up for the part. Paraphrase: like OMG, I so want to be the Doctor!

Me: Like OMG, I so wouldn't watch it any more!

The Star, fortunately, is not the most intellectually gifted of our media, and so unlikely to have any access to the deliberations of the casting committee. (It is a betrayal of the standards of the original paper.)

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's not about female roles as such though: I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a female Timelord running around saving the world - I'd just prefer her to be different person (...which reminds me - is Romana still in E-space somewhere?).
[/QB]

I think that's the case with me, and I think that's not unreasonable. But there is (and perhaps this is spilling onto threads raised in the flirting while feminist) two big I thinks there...

I don't think we've heard of Romana coming back, but what would the effect of the time war have been.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My last post now seems appalling, since Paris Jackson has made an attempt on her life. Any chance of an erasure?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016