homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: (again) Winter 2012 (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: (again) Winter 2012
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She would be fantastically cool!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the fans sites are going completely bonkers.

And someone, somewhere, is playing a very clever joke:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Adeodatus-is-the-twelfth-doctor

(It seems that if you put any name where I've put mine, it takes you to the same page!)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
Is it too late to put in a bid for Helena Bonham Carter as the first female doctor? She would be brilliant but is probably too famous to do it.

But if Time Lords and Ladies can change gender how does this effect the procreation of their species?

It could explain why there are so few of them?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe they are greater in genetic looms

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Time looms - just as well. Should a pregnant Time Lady regenerate male.....

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, dinner can sort itself out, I am in front of the telly [Big Grin]

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matt Smith referring to the next doctor as 'he' so no Helena BC [Frown]

--------------------
tessaB
Holiday cottage near Rye

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I still think John Hurt will continue in the role.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes!

edit to add for Peter Capaldi!

[ 04. August 2013, 18:28: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

Wow the bookies were right - Peter Capaldi!!!

--------------------
tessaB
Holiday cottage near Rye

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

The bookies were right.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good, someone older. Let's see how this one pans out.
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent choice. I watched The Fires of Pompeii earlier, picking up on all the "is it him" stuff going on.

He's going to be good.

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good choice. Old enough for gravitas, young enough for action.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Capaldi is a fantastic actor and so a good choice - but I would have loved a 'different' choice with some fantastic black actors in the bookies' frame (though they may not have been available in reality)

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might start watching the series again. What on earth happened to Matt Smith's head? Appalling haircut.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a rather rude tweet going round, starting "Oi Dalek, stuff your lollipop..." originated by a guy called Nathan Gowan, transposing Malcolm Tucker into the role.

He looks good - but there is a similarity in build developing, which was not there in Old Who, isn't there?

And I have suddenly realised I had not thought about, not only why not black, but why not South Asian, why not Chinese - there's a lot of why nots.

And the way Moffat is talking - the last Dr - he seems to be building up to a Reichenbach moment, or more so.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent choice.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's all fall silent and reflect on the fact that I was the first to suggest him:

16th June:
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
[...]
Peter Capaldi for Twelve?

I hope he keeps his accept for the role.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so happy the Doctor is going to be older than I am again!! I had trouble buying Matt Smith in the role of an ancient alien who'd seen it all. As I mentioned before he looked a bit like one of my former students which really destroyed the illusion for me. Don't know anything about Peter Capaldi but I'm excited for a new face in the role!

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An excellent choice, I think. He is a talented actor, and will do the role justice.

Definitely some hints that there is a conclusion coming, which would be interesting, although I suspect that they will still pull something out of the hat.

Of course, it may be that they will just decide to conclude the series. It would not be unknown, but it would be a shame.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Let's all fall silent and reflect on the fact that I was the first to suggest him:

16th June:
quote:
[...]
Peter Capaldi for Twelve?

Respect, Rosa Winkel [Overused] .

I'm very happy - Peter Calpaldi is an excellent actor, and what's more is a fan of the show. I'm getting all tingley with anticipation [Yipee] .

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, Rosa.

I must admit I don't particularly know him although I do remember him in Pompeii. And that has been the case for every new Doctor so I have no expectations and will just look forward to finding out how it goes and how he plays it.

ETA Fortunately, nobody had him in this year's death pool.

[ 04. August 2013, 20:27: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks you two.

quote:

Obviously, I meant accent.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

His list of credits is very impressive - Peter Capaldi. I thought his performance in Torchwood: Children of Earth was absolutely brilliant.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Children of Men is now going to look a bit different.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Children of Men is now going to look a bit different.

So will Fires of Pompeii!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks you two.

quote:

Obviously, I meant accent.
I agree. I think it was a great shame that David Tennant spoke RP as the Doctor. Especially coming after Christopher Eccleston: after all, lots of planets have a north.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I think it was a great shame that David Tennant spoke RP as the Doctor.

YMMV, but I found it less distracting and easier to understand. The Doctor's an alien, he doesn't hail from a particular region of Britain and IMO shouldn't be associated with a particular locality.
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant choice.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I think it was a great shame that David Tennant spoke RP as the Doctor.

YMMV, but I found it less distracting and easier to understand. The Doctor's an alien, he doesn't hail from a particular region of Britain and IMO shouldn't be associated with a particular locality.
Such as south England?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Quite. He spends altogether too much time in London, and there are other places on this planet. How about investigating a lost city in the desert or a monastery in the mountains, or something?
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Quite. He spends altogether too much time in London, and there are other places on this planet. How about investigating a lost city in the desert or a monastery in the mountains, or something?

He spends altogether too much time on Earth - in old Who he was on other planets much more than Earth.

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

God's own country is fairly well represented in the modern Doctor Who.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I've heard in interviews Capaldi's real accent is softer than Tennant's, which is very...well, Scottish. I do find broad Scots accents hard to decipher, but if Capaldi uses his own as the Doctor that's fine.

Tennant's done several voiceovers for various documentaries, and I did find that at times I was listening to his actual accent rather than what he was saying. So clarity should be important - and less gabbling, which Matt (much as I love him as the Doctor) was guilty of quite often.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
God's own country is fairly well represented in the modern Doctor Who.

Really? I hadn't noticed they were mostly set in Scotland.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

God's own country is Yorkshire, surely?

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine's blog celebrates that there's a new Dr. Who and a new (flying) bishop of Ebbsfleet.

I can't somehow avoid thinking there's some degree of unreality in that equation.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
He spends altogether too much time on Earth - in old Who he was on other planets much more than Earth.

You're right! The Doctor needs to get out more.
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:

There's always been a fairly high ratio of stories set on Earth. In the Hartnell era, it was roughly half-and-half between earth-bound historicals and future/alien adventures. The Pertwee era saw the Doctor exiled to Earth for budgetary reasons. Though in Tom Baker's time he'd sometimes only pop to Earth once or twice a series.
Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was hoping that the time had come for a Doctor who was fat, short, balding and old. Once again I've been cruelly overlooked by the BBC.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha! Join the entire half of the human race that's been overlooked.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Popping in belatedly to say that he does seem like a good choice from what I know of him. Certainly seems capable of playing the slightly weird/alien qualities of the character.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We shall see. The Tenth Doctor is still "my" Doctor. Here's hoping the Twelfth upsets him!

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
The Doctor's an alien, he doesn't hail from a particular region of Britain and IMO shouldn't be associated with a particular locality.

"Lots of planets have a north." — The Doctor.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
However the North is a big place with lots of accents. Exactly which one were you expecting the Doctor to have.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Why not a North Gallifreyan accent, then?
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Admittedly there is Northern Educated. Its a nebulous sort of accent spoken by teacher, librarians, doctors and lecturers etc who work and were raised and educated in the North. It is definitely not a Southern Accent and it is not RP, tends to have the harsh northern vowels but few dialect words and other clues to location. It is sort of the lingua franca of the Northern Chattering classes.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Admittedly there is Northern Educated. Its a nebulous sort of accent spoken by teacher, librarians, doctors and lecturers etc who work and were raised and educated in the North. It is definitely not a Southern Accent and it is not RP, tends to have the harsh northern vowels but few dialect words and other clues to location. It is sort of the lingua franca of the Northern Chattering classes.
I'll try not to take that as an insult.
Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Hey its my own accent and most the people I know, well those who do not have educated Scots.

Jengie

[ 13. August 2013, 14:36: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016