homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: (again) Winter 2012 (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: (again) Winter 2012
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once Scaldag?? got out of the suit we got the unseen creature scenario.

Hidden creature, long bony fingers, claustophobic corridors and steam rising in front of the camera.
Doctor Who does Alien, and for me it was the best part of the show.

Wasn't sure about the Ice Station Zebra meets the end of Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull bit at the end.

Overall I liked it. A lot.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, it was certainly a better episode than last week's. And I did like last week's.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was moderately impressed, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as last week, oddly. Maybe, because I have seen far better Cold War dramas.

I wanted them to play Gillan - Mutually Assured Destruction behind it, which would have been ideal. the song epitomises the era perfectly.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very nearly, but not quite, excellent, I thought. I didn't expect to get a "naked" Ice Warrior! - and the scene where the fingers are playing across the Lieutenant's face made my skin crawl. In a good way. Very Gatiss.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent episode this week, I could imagine Jon Pertwee and Jo Grant in that one. I was wanting another half hour when it ended. Gatiss really knows Who.
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much better than last week, I'm still wondering about Clara but then I suppose we are meant to. I thought the change in attitude when she saw the dead bodies was quite good, I liked the Ice Warrior too, there was more to it than I was expecting.
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thoroughly enjoyed that, and it avoided letting us see too much of the monster and of what it had done, which I tend to find creepier than all-out CGI and horror make-up. (I still refuse to see Alien because I don't think I could cope...)

My only niggle, as a child of the Cold War (and especially of that phase), is that it failed to convey the reality of "mutually assured destruction" and the horror its shadow carried, thereby also detracting from the menace of the monster.

I am not sure how this could have been achieved, though. X-Men: First Class used period news footage to good effect (at least IMHO - and these events happened about as long before my birth as 1983 is before that of many those with whom I usually watch Doctor Who); however that device would have been difficult to use on a Soviet sub...

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Youngest Rogueling had her hands over her eyes for quite a lot of it. Sometimes my hands.

Classic Dr Who.

[ 13. April 2013, 23:06: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It definitely had some nice bits.
A pretty good attempt to make the Russians human, (the scene where Cara realises something joke-spoilery, helps).

Could probably have gone a bit better on the cold war (but it was there, it would have been interesting to have seen an event we recognised discussed from the other perspective but western-instinct would kick in*).
But they were fearful, jokey, had lives, [different personalities] and lived and carried the story.
Dr Who's done it before, (and also other British & American TV), but still too many occasions where it's weak.

*for instance I get the impression that 'spreading democracy' was a buzzword for that side too (although not backed by reality, either), so that would sound wrong.
And if you have them reciting direct lies, do you have someone suspicious and if so how do you act that.
And finally, comrades, where their values/buzzwords are alien, we'll react the opposite way.

[ 14. April 2013, 11:12: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
...it would have been interesting to have seen an event we recognised discussed from the other perspective but western-instinct would kick in

When I started thinking about news footage as an exposition device, I wondered whether there was any such material availeble from the Soveit union in the 80s. I would have needed some quality dubbing (thanks to the TARDIS translation matrix), but it would have been an intersting detail (but as I said, I guess the setting did not lend itself readily to that device).

BTW, with the setting: I wonder whether there were reference in this episode to Hunt for Red October (which I have not seen - yet). I kind of recognised Das Boot, but am otherwise not au fait with the submarine movie genre. Given the amount of referencing this season has done so far, I'd be surprised if there weren't any.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just caught up.

I did enjoy it quite a lot, but what niggles with me I think is a basic problem with the new series quite often: things end up feeling rushed.

There isn't enough time to build things like high stakes. I simply didn't get enough material to convince me that we could blow up the world here. Basically the only thing that gave me that was: 1983.

Oh right. If we'd had this situation any other time we'd have been confined to endangering the crew of a single submarine, but hey, '1983' flashed up on the screen at the start so immediately I should feel tense about the future of the entire world.

Maybe it worked better for people who were older at the time. But for me, it was a very 'intellectual' point and it didn't feel like the episode did anywhere enough to turn it into an emotional reaction.

Now, I'm watching 60s Doctor Who at the moment and there is clearly some serious padding at times to stretch a story out over 6 episodes and hit a drama at each 'cliffhanger'. But the new series definitely suffers from the opposite problem. Too often, a writer doesn't seem to really judge what can be addressed properly in the scope of 44 or 45 minutes. Some of these stories would greatly benefit from an extra 10 minutes or so, if the writers took advantage of it.

(And I'm a bit mystified why the BBC should choose not to fill an hour properly - pandering to commercial networks elsewhere? In fact I wouldn't be surprised if some of these stories would work better with some ad breaks providing mini-cliffhanger pauses. Breaks really can make a significant difference, again if the story is designed to make use of them.)

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
There isn't enough time to build things like high stakes. I simply didn't get enough material to convince me that we could blow up the world here. Basically the only thing that gave me that was: 1983.

Oh right. If we'd had this situation any other time we'd have been confined to endangering the crew of a single submarine, but hey, '1983' flashed up on the screen at the start so immediately I should feel tense about the future of the entire world.

Maybe it worked better for people who were older at the time. But for me, it was a very 'intellectual' point and it didn't feel like the episode did anywhere enough to turn it into an emotional reaction.

I think that was my problem, and I am "older", and remember that time. The tension and fear was not there. Not to mention that one rogue missile would not have triggered a nuclear war, in the way they imply.

Yes, the world was on a hair-trigger, and M.A.D. was a true definition of the state of play. That is the point - something like War Games played it out better - the USSR would not risk starting a war by just firing one or two missiles, so if it happened, the situation would be defused (and the missiles destroyed before they hit anything they shouldn't).

The only "successful" tactics would be a full launch of the total arsenal, in the hope that the opposition would be totally destroyed before they could launch everything, or, as per War Games, not play. So, while there was a risk of increasing tensions by the actions of a single sub, and it would not be good, it did not feel "real".

So yes, the never-seen monster was excellent, but there was a core problem with the threat issue.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed that much, much more than last week's. Most of it was really good, classic Doctor Who running around and monsters but sadly, the ending was a bit heart warming. I hate heart warming.

I agree with those who have posted that the 45-minute format is not the best as the endings all feel rushed. A few two-parters at least would help.

Still, really enjoyed it.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(And I'm a bit mystified why the BBC should choose not to fill an hour properly - pandering to commercial networks elsewhere? In fact I wouldn't be surprised if some of these stories would work better with some ad breaks providing mini-cliffhanger pauses. Breaks really can make a significant difference, again if the story is designed to make use of them.)

The BBC does have commercial sales in mind ("1-hour" US shows currently run to about 44 mins), but 'twas ever thus. Have you ever noticed when you're watching old Hartnell episodes, there's a "fad-through-black" 12 - 15 minutes in? That would be where the commercial break would go on a commercial station. And, of course, all of those old shows ran to 25 minutes, not 30.

--------------------

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I think that was my problem, and I am "older", and remember that time. The tension and fear was not there. Not to mention that one rogue missile would not have triggered a nuclear war, in the way they imply.

Yes, the world was on a hair-trigger, and M.A.D. was a true definition of the state of play. That is the point - something like War Games played it out better - the USSR would not risk starting a war by just firing one or two missiles, so if it happened, the situation would be defused (and the missiles destroyed before they hit anything they shouldn't).

The only "successful" tactics would be a full launch of the total arsenal, in the hope that the opposition would be totally destroyed before they could launch everything, or, as per War Games, not play. So, while there was a risk of increasing tensions by the actions of a single sub, and it would not be good, it did not feel "real".

So yes, the never-seen monster was excellent, but there was a core problem with the threat issue.

I was at an impressionable age at the time, and terrified, and I still can't watch some things from that era without reliving that. This episode did not have such an effect.

That said, I think the implication of a single launch causing all-out war is authentic insofar as at least some of us ordinary folk at the time believed that was fully within the realms of the possible - one of the things that made M.A.D. so terrifying. Obviously, I cannot be sure what a Soviet sub crew would have believed, but it seems unlikely they would have discounted the possibility; they are soldiers, not politicians. And the threat lies in what the characters believe might happen, not in what actually would have happened.

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yeah. The whole "I don't speak Russian" thing coming up at a rather inconvenient moment was a hoot.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not entirely sure why you bring back an ice warrior if you're then going to have it behave like an alien. But I suppose they always did look like they were wearing armoured suits and helmets so maybe it works.
It was a lot better than I feared it would be. It negotiates the obvious pitfall, which is that the ice warriors are boringly generic monsters unless you write them as not actually monsters. It still doesn't quite feel right - I suppose that having negotiated that pitfall the rest of it kind of wrote itself: set it during the cold war (cold, cold, get it?), talk about MAD and the other side not really being monsters, you have to have the ice warrior behave like an alien because there's only so much lumbering you can do around a submarine, etc.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
It negotiates the obvious pitfall, which is that the ice warriors are boringly generic monsters unless you write them as not actually monsters.

You're going to have explain just what you think a 'monster' is, now.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
It negotiates the obvious pitfall, which is that the ice warriors are boringly generic monsters unless you write them as not actually monsters.

Something that you couldn't live alongside and which it makes no real sense to have regrets about killing. Daleks are the archetypal monster. Cybermen are monsters. Weeping angels are monsters. Silurians usually aren't monsters. Ice Warriors in the Troughton-period were monsters (Troughton ran around shooting them with a heat ray in one story).

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I did enjoy it quite a lot, but what niggles with me I think is a basic problem with the new series quite often: things end up feeling rushed.

I think this is about right, but even given the slightly shaky premise, it was plausible enough for most purposes and I was happy to go along with it.

It was the conclusion that disappointed me a little, with the reappearance of an apparently long-dead race in a highly advanced UFO hovering above the Soviet sub (imagine how much trouble that could have caused if everyone had itchy fingers on The Button), and an uncharacteristic act of generosity by a wronged alien with a highly developed martial code. The ease with which he engaged and then disengaged the launch mechanism, even from the spaceship, also makes me wonder if the Ice Warriors could just blow up the planet any time they felt like it.

But it was quite good, with some interesting ideas and nice homages, and it used a fairly generic monster with wit and intelligence. It may have been sketchy and a bit rushed, but it was literally* on a different planet from last week's effort.

* - Well, it was. Couldn't resist the opportunity to balance out the increasing trend for really inaccurate use of "literally".

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda:
So - The Rings of Akhaten (sp?) anyone?

Ok, I thought. The marketplace really looked like a set though. You used to notice that about Star Trek alien planets too - they all had suspiciously smooth floors and lots of corners at right angles.

It struck me more as an homage to George Lucas' Mos Eisley spaceport.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
quote:
Originally posted by Panda:
So - The Rings of Akhaten (sp?) anyone?

Ok, I thought. The marketplace really looked like a set though. You used to notice that about Star Trek alien planets too - they all had suspiciously smooth floors and lots of corners at right angles.

It struck me more as an homage to George Lucas' Mos Eisley spaceport.
According to the Radio Times - I think, that was precisely the reference. I gather the prosthetics guy had been working towards such a scene in his own time for years.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
The ease with which he engaged and then disengaged the launch mechanism, even from the spaceship, also makes me wonder if the Ice Warriors could just blow up the planet any time they felt like it.

I had spent the morning at Maplins (Think Tandy - Radio Shack if not UK) acquiring the necessary bits and pieces to connect my BT Vision Box (Freeview etc decoder) to a digital projector so that we could watch the Hobbit as if in the cinema. I found the idea that a 5000 year old alien would have the right connectors in his finger tips laughable.
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:

Something that you couldn't live alongside and which it makes no real sense to have regrets about killing. Daleks are the archetypal monster. Cybermen are monsters. Weeping angels are monsters. Silurians usually aren't monsters. Ice Warriors in the Troughton-period were monsters (Troughton ran around shooting them with a heat ray in one story).
Nope. Having watched The Ice Warriors just a few weeks ago, the title characters were most definitely NOT monsters. Ruthlessly self-interested, yes, but not especially interested in killing off humans for any reason. They spend considerable parts of the story involved in negotiations.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And in The Curse of Peladon, they're actually the good guys.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not really a fan but my kids are.

Last Tuesday we were walking accross Trafalgar Square to the National Gallery and spotted a crowd with one of those boom microphones waiving around.

We walked over and spotted Matt Smith and the girl he knocks about with on the telly. They were filming an episode, with the tardis ane everything.

He was saluting some actors dressed up as police and stuff.

My kids wouldn't let us leave until they had filled the SD cards on their cameras. We were watching them for about two hours!

All I can say is Matt Smith drinks Costa Coffee. That was the cup he kept snipping from between takes.

So look out for it coming up.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

It's the 50th anniversary special they're filming at the moment. On in November.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
quote:
Ice Warriors in the Troughton-period were monsters (Troughton ran around shooting them with a heat ray in one story).

Nope. Having watched The Ice Warriors just a few weeks ago, the title characters were most definitely NOT monsters. Ruthlessly self-interested, yes, but not especially interested in killing off humans for any reason. They spend considerable parts of the story involved in negotiations.
I haven't seen The Ice Warriors myself so I'll have to take your word for it. Ruthlessly self-interested is I think sufficient to get you to monster status if your self-interest conflicts with human self-interest.

--------------------

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone notice the odd bit of sound and camera work when Clara got hit on the head? I'm wondering if there is going to be a sort of sub-text around her 'dying' over and over.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
Did anyone notice the odd bit of sound and camera work when Clara got hit on the head? I'm wondering if there is going to be a sort of sub-text around her 'dying' over and over.

I did notice it. And maybe it is a plot thread. Or it is a red herring. Remember last season when there were a couple stories where Rory seemed curiously disjointed in time (like using a past-tense in the hotel story when he shouldn't have)? Never led to anything. Moff lies. He throws these things out for fans to chase after.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ice Warriors in the Troughton-period were monsters (Troughton ran around shooting them with a heat ray in one story).

I haven't seen The Ice Warriors myself so I'll have to take your word for it. Ruthlessly self-interested is I think sufficient to get you to monster status if your self-interest conflicts with human self-interest.
Which would also elevate humans to monster status.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:

I did notice it. And maybe it is a plot thread. Or it is a red herring. Remember last season when there were a couple stories where Rory seemed curiously disjointed in time (like using a past-tense in the hotel story when he shouldn't have)? Never led to anything. Moff lies. He throws these things out for fans to chase after.
I thought it just meant she was semi-conscious and beginning to come round?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just finished the "Dalek's master plan" 12-parter.

Blimey.

That's all I've got to say.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
I've just finished the "Dalek's master plan" 12-parter.

Blimey.

That's all I've got to say.

That pretty much covers it. It is high on my list of series I wish still fully existed on video.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Especially the first few episodes.

Meanwhile, I've just watched The Dominators. It's not that awful.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

And now I've watched The Mind Robber. Which was fairly entertaining. And the swordfight sequence in the last episode was brilliant.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doctor Who and the Silurians has just dropped through with the post [Smile] I will have to fit in a family popcorn event later this afternoon.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Doctor Who and the Silurians has just dropped through with the post [Smile] I will have to fit in a family popcorn event later this afternoon.

Wow. It's one of my all-time favourites, up there with Genesis of the Daleks. Great writing, great direction, and some great performances. I remember also being really scared by it when I was seven (episodes 2 and 3 particularly!) and even now there are some scary scenes (episodes 6 and 7!). Enjoy!

Orfeo, what did you like about The Dominators? Some people really can't stand it - I just thought it was dull. And I agree with the Wife in Space that it didn't help that some of the costumes seemed to be made out of curtains.

The titles of the remaining episodes of this series have been released - BBC site. The last one's particularly interesting. [Biased]

I'm looking forward to Hide tonight - the previews look great.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Orfeo, what did you like about The Dominators? Some people really can't stand it - I just thought it was dull. And I agree with the Wife in Space that it didn't help that some of the costumes seemed to be made out of curtains.

I thought it was fairly dull, too. All I meant is that's it's not in the 'really can't stand it' category.

The interactions between the 2 Dominators themselves are quite good, and I like their mistaken assumption that the Doctor and his companions are native to the planet - which is pretty much the same assumption that the Dulcians make, albeit not for the same "there's no other possibility" reason.

The production values, though, are poor - costumes and methods of transportation being the chief evils. And then in the last couple of episodes, the ones that were rewritten to have more action, it gets progressively sillier and Patrick Troughton behaves like a complete clown for large chunks - arguably fitting what he's working with. Saving a planet by reaching out and catching a nuclear bomb as it's dropped is just ludicrous, cartoonish stuff.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:

Wow. It's one of my all-time favourites, up there with Genesis of the Daleks. Great writing, great direction, and some great performances. I remember also being really scared by it when I was seven (episodes 2 and 3 particularly!) and even now there are some scary scenes (episodes 6 and 7!). Enjoy!.
We regularly get old Doctor Who's sent from Lovefilm rental. Not had time to watch yet though as the kids popped next door for the afternoon.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A blue crystal from Metebilis 3, eh?
And last week we had an Ice Warrior.
And the week before, they went somewhere the Doctor had visited with his granddaughter.

Hmmm...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We all liked today's episode. I won't do any spoilers yet except to say that we saw a prelude to the Tardis story which I have been looking forward to since I heard there would be one.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
And the week before, they went somewhere the Doctor had visited with his granddaughter.

Hmmm...

Even more interesting when looked at in the episode order [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Hm, where does that leave us with the Bells of St John episode?

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anybody else get a bit of a Stone Tape vibe in tonight's episode? Except the upbeat ending of course.

IMHO, the best episode for ages; the script seemed a little sharper than usual.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

Hmmm...

Even more interesting when looked at in the episode order [Smile]
There are 4 episodes left in this series, which could cover the rest of the classic incarnations...

BTW, thoroughly enjoyed this one!

[ 20. April 2013, 23:42: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

ACK
Shipmate
# 16756

- Posted      Profile for ACK   Email ACK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When he went through the history of the world of that one spot, he ended at a desolate wasteland, the implication being that was the end of the Earth. How does that tie in with the Eccelston episode: 'The end of the world'? Or did I just misunderstand it and/or am over analysing?
I did enjoy 'Hide' much more than the previous 2 weeks' offerings.

--------------------
'It's the only thing that worries me about going to Heaven. Would I ever get used to the height.' Norman Clegg

Posts: 56 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have wondered, when seeing stories in which people travel through deep time on the same spot (Primeval had the same problem) just what is meant by the same place, and how come they are always on the surface, rather than above it, or, disastrously, below it. (At least Primeval had the possibility of being under water.) The same place could mean the same geographic coordinates, or the same chunk of rock. It isn't that simple.

And what happened to the time traveller? Dumping an extra body at that date isn't that easy. (He wasn't going to risk a rewrite trying to put someone back like the Martian base commander and how that ended, I suppose.)

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I loved that episode. Pocket universe, ghosts, making lives better, deep existential philosophy.

The moving through time but not space was also interesting - and yes, it is a challenge. The piece of earth that I currently live on used to be underground somewhere and will be underground again in the future. I suppose all you could say is that he stayed at a location on the surface of the Earth that would be identified by a geostationary satellite.

It does raise a whole lot of issues about the whole "is this the same place as it was" issues. Of course, if you can't accept a same place different time idea, the whole story collapses. But the truth is that, over a long term, we cannot identify a specific location particularly well.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the twist at the end. Wonder how they'll get round that one next week?

Interesting that we actually saw the Doctor frightened at one point - that's not how he usually is. Also the comment about "he has a sliver of ice in his heart" is instriguing and reminds me of the fairytale about the boy who had a fragment of an evil queen's mirror in his heart, and had to be rescued and restored to normality by (you guessed it) a close female companion.

It feels as if the series as a whole is coming to an end forever. And I'm going to be really put out if they reveal the Doctor's name, and it turns out to be Endeavour.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016