homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: To Hell with your evil theology (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: To Hell with your evil theology
opaWim
Shipmate
# 11137

- Posted      Profile for opaWim   Email opaWim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the OPer is, most likely not.
Either way it takes one to know -or even suspect- one.

--------------------
It's the Thirties all over again, possibly even worse.

Posts: 524 | From: The Marshes | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tu quoque? What a crock of shit argument that is. Why don’t you engage with what he said (about the OPer), rather than guff such a flaccid parp of flatulence?

…Oh, I know why. He’s right.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW:

I don't hate the RCC per se, though I greatly disagree with it on certain things, and think it's gravely mistaken about some things.

IMHO, it doesn't help discussion nor understanding (even on this board) when Ship's fierce defenders of the RCC say that those who disagree are stupid, willfully ignorant, abusers themselves (if I correctly read an implication), hate the RCC, etc. IMVHO, it doesn't help the RCC cause--it *looks* like stonewalling and/or fear.

As I said at the beginning of the thread, my reaction was the same as Seeker's; but (and this is no reflection on Seeker), I did some extra looking, even on the Vatican site, before I posted anything.

I've held back a great many fierce things I could say. So please at least hear me out in good faith. Thanks.

--ISTM that any good and fair justice system would have equal penalties for crimes of equal severity. If that doesn't happen, then something is very off.

The US legal system is really, really messed up. ISTM that the Vatican one is, too.

--Of COURSE, it looks like the RCC is equating OOW and abuse. Look at the Norme quote I put just below the OP. They're in the same class (grave delicta), and OOW seems to have a harsher sentence. Whether they mean it or not, I don't know. If they truly have no clue about how this looks to the non-RC world (and a good many RCs, I think), then they need to be educated and to hire a very very good PR firm to advise them. If they simply don't care how they're perceived...I don't know what do do with them.

--Re the discussion about the same penalty for both rape and murder: Duo, I think, commented that no one in their right mind would think that the two crimes are morally equivalent, because the rape survivor is still alive and has a chance at a life.

But abuse and rape kill part of you. They fill you with pain, weigh you down. Often, you have to fight and fight and fight to survive your post-abuse/rape life. They can drive you to suicide, to insanity, to murder, even to abuse and rape. People who've been abused and/or raped are likely (at some point, and maybe always) to want the perpetrator to endure torture, death, and the worst of hell with no refrigerium (break).

So, at least in moments of pain and the deep weariness that comes from fighting the fallout every day, many people would think they're morally equivalent...and may wish they HAD been killed.

I'm not saying that's good or right; I'm just addressing that very broad brushstroke of Duo's.

***To all victims and survivors out there: please find people to help you heal; and please, please don't give up.*** [Votive]

--I'm very pro OOW, and I think that the RCC's dismissal of women and criminalization of OOW is a grave delict all its own. Making it the same level of crime as abuse means they don't understand either one.

{Feeds the ghost horsie and sends it on its way.}

--My understanding is they haven't said that abusers must be reported to secular authorities, despite what someone said. This is from the Huffington Post article I linked to earlier:

quote:
But the new rules make no mention of the need for bishops to report clerical sex abuse to police, provide no canonical sanctions for bishops who cover up for abusers, and do not include any "zero tolerance" policy for pedophile priests as demanded by some victims.

"The first thing the church should be doing is reporting crimes to civil authorities," said Andrew Madden, a former Dublin altar boy who filed the first public abuse lawsuit against the church in Ireland in 1995.

"That's far, far more important than deciding whether a criminal priest should be defrocked or not," he told The Associated Press in Dublin. "The church's internal rules are no more important than the rules of your local golf club."

Scicluna defended the absence of any mention of the need to report abuse to police, saying all Christians were required to obey civil laws that would already demand sex crimes be reported.

The Vatican noted that bishops were reminded of this duty in a set of informal guidelines issued earlier this year and that its Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which handles sex crime allegations, was working with bishops' conferences around the world to develop more "rigorous, coherent and effective" guidelines.

"If civil law requires you report, you must obey civil law," Scicluna said. But "it's not for canonical legislation to get itself involved with civil law."

To me, that seems to be from the "Don't Get It and/or Don't Care" department. At *best*, I think they're still caught in a Renaissance Church vs. all the secular powers battle.

If the Norme had said "all allegations and suspicions of abuse MUST be reported IMMEDIATELY to law enforcement and Child Protective Services, no ifs, ands, or buts, and you WILL face excommunication and other Church sanctions if you violate that",...then the world's response would've been far different. There would have been relief and celebration, the OOW bit would've had many people [brick wall] but there wouldn't be the mess there is now.

Sometimes, I wonder if they're trying to nuke the Church from the inside. [Paranoid]

[Votive] [Help] [Confused]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

any good and fair justice system would have equal penalties for crimes of equal severity.

And what about crimes of unequal severity, which is what you're making this about? What then, given that excommunication is the highest punishment available to the RCC for any crime? What would you suggest? How should the RCC punish paedophilia, if they punish OoW by excommunication? Hanging? Firing squad? What?

Let's hear it.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yorick,

See Golden Key's post just before yours. In that she refers to the Huffington Post piece that includes a statement from a child abuse victim. The RCC still does not go far enough in requiring bishops to call in the civil authorities to investigate claims of child abuse. Mons. Scicluna tries to wriggle out of that, but for all the detail in the report and code of practice a simple undertaking to hand a potentially serious criminal mattert on Day 1 is missing. That aspect is not for the RCC to investigate.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

What's that got to do with it? I was specifically addressing the criticism that the RCC punishes both OoW and paedophilia with excommunication, and that, therefore, it must view these as equally criminal. Which is pure bullshit.

[ 20. July 2010, 09:25: Message edited by: Yorick ]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Y--

I'm responding to the many comments which said that equal punishment (or classification of grave delict) doesn't mean two things are considered equal, and that it's idiotic to expect that they would be. I spent a lot of time, Sunday night, prowling law sites and looking into sentencing, the philosophical basis of legal systems, etc. I couldn't find the sort of comparative info I wanted (e.g. basis of Hammurabi's code vs. Napoleonic code vs. Brehon laws vs. Mosaic law, etc) in the time I had, so I'm simply speaking for myself.

Personally, I'm more concerned with getting abusers away from possible victims and into treatment, and getting the secular authorities involved. I already said what I think should happen to the people who cover up. I'm not RC and I don't particularly believe in excommunication--but the RCC does.

ETA: Yorick, I just saw your second post. If you look at the Vatican site excerpt I posted on the first page, you'll see that they're both considered the same *class* of crime.

[ 20. July 2010, 09:29: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
If you look at the Vatican site excerpt I posted on the first page, you'll see that they're both considered the same *class* of crime.

Yes, I did look. And so what? They aren't suggesting the crimes are equivalent in any way other than that they're punishable by excommunication. That's how they're classified.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I was specifically addressing the criticism that the RCC punishes both OoW and paedophilia with excommunication

Which isn't true anyway. Child abusers don't get automatically excommunicated, which would seem to indicate that it's a lesser crime than OOW.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
I was specifically addressing the criticism that the RCC punishes both OoW and paedophilia with excommunication

Which isn't true anyway. Child abusers don't get automatically excommunicated, which would seem to indicate that it's a lesser crime than OOW.
...which, actually, is what I said. [Angel]

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
... which would seem to indicate...

And there's the rub.

People see all sorts of things they want to see. It's not so much the seeing, it's the wanting.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Really? Seriously? So how do you account for this colossal ignorance, and what does it say about the essential nature of the RCC organisation?

Yeah, really, seriously. I see no particular surprise in any of this. The RCC central organization has always been decidedly human, and Italian human for the most part. It is one of the clear and unmistakable signs of Divine intervention - an outrageous, continuing support miracle - that this joint hasn't blown to pieces in any of a myriad thinkable ways, but remains the longest lasting and by now largest institution on the face of earth. The reaction time of the Vatican is actually "appropriate" to our times: it has always been about a factor ten slower than what was clearly required. In slower ages, they would need centuries, now they need mere decades, and in really, terribly urgent cases they may even react within years...

quote:
My understanding is they haven't said that abusers must be reported to secular authorities, despite what someone said.

Then update your understanding already! Is it asking too much to follow links (second paragraph) showing that this is part of (particular) canon law?

What you could possibly complain about is Rome not wrestling control over the rules and regulation concerning this matter from the bishop's conferences, where it more naturally resides (the above norms are from the US bishops). This however misunderstands the place of Rome, which is not some centralist tyrannical bureaucracy micromanaging the affairs of over a billion catholics. With its 3000 staff it is rather a kind of clearing house for stuff that can't be dealt with on the local level. It pretty much functions like the Supreme Court in the judicial system of most countries, just that it deals with buck-stopping at multiple levels: administrative, doctrinal, judicial, ...

The bishops are the actual "rulers" in general. Rome does not mess with the bishops unless it really has to. So far it doesn't look like it has to, e.g., the response of the US bishops appears adequate - and the US was first hit, hence dealt with this problem first, and on a time scale that is rapid by Roman standards. I think it is also likely that Rome wants to see how the US "experimental" legislation performs before drafting any general guidelines for all countries. Correcting universal, worldwide legislation is a nightmare.

Finally, the CDF is simply not the institution for doing any of this. They are the modern Inquisition, not the regular administration. They are the guys that should move in when the shit has hit the fan. One could hence very well argue that these CDF norms are bad news as a whole. The Inquisition should not move in as a matter of course, but only where things go wrong, and this is centralizing power to Rome which really belongs to the bishops. It is a sign of weakness among the bishops and appeasement to the world that it has come to this.

quote:
How should the RCC punish paedophilia, if they punish OoW by excommunication? Hanging? Firing squad? What?

Burning on the stake would be more traditional...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Seeker963:
Let's all tell our friends who have been sexually molested as children that the people who hurt them deserve equal or less punishment than the people who ordain women.

Why should we lie to them? Perhaps you missed the point where the child molester, in addition to ecclesial penalties, has to face legal action as well? Perhaps you didn't understand the part about maximum penalties not distinguishing between different crimes that get the maximum penalty, but that doesn't mean the offenses are felt to be equally bad?

You were right before when you implied you had nothing constructive to add to the conversation.

Oh yes, I guess you must be talking about the bit where the Church:

* Didn't move people it found to be paedophiles into new posts;
* Excommunicated them once proven guilty;
* Didn't enthusiastically investigate those involved in the OOW;
* Didn't enthusiastically investigate any woman suspected of being a "feminist".

Oh, you are right. The twists and turns of legal niceties on paper are what matter. The beahaviour of people in applying that written law matters not one jot. Just because a group enthusiastically pursues folk involved in the OOW and gives second and third chances to proven padeophile priests doesn't inply anything at all about its attitude toward the two groups. [Projectile]

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Child abusers don't get automatically excommunicated, which would seem to indicate that it's a lesser crime than OOW.

Sigh. To repeat, the RCC does not(*) punish immoral behavior with automatic excommunication. Because that would take away the access to the sacrament of confession. It "punishes" people that have left the sacramental and/or ecclesial order of the Church with automatic excommunication, i.e., it simply makes official from the Church's side what these people have brought about by their words and deeds already (in the judgment of the Church).

(*) Except for abortion, which in my opinion is mostly a moral matter. Perhaps one can argue that this is also a matter of the sacramental / ecclesial order somehow, but I think it's there mostly by historical accident. It is unlikely that this will change anytime soon due to "sending the wrong signals" in the abortion debate ("wrong" as far as the hard line is concerned). Anyhow, if you want a comparison of "punishment for immoral acts", then you can viably compare here: the RCC does indeed consider abortion worse than the sexual abuse of children, as it stands. (Though as I've just pointed out, this may be to a considerable part a historical accident, rather than a conscious choice.)

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
... which would seem to indicate...

And there's the rub.

People see all sorts of things they want to see. It's not so much the seeing, it's the wanting.

OK, let me expand on my view.

Here we have an institution that claims - and honestly believes - that it and it alone holds the key to salvation. That only within the institution can anyone be certain of averting eternal damnation.

Now that's a pretty massive claim, I think you can agree. And no, people who aren't in the RCC don't believe it, but the RCC lawmakers do.

Excommunication is, by definition, putting someone outside of that institution. It is depriving them of that assurance of salvation. By way of comparison, being sent to prison for the rest of one's natural doesn't come close to being as bad. By way of comparison, being executed doesn't come close to being as bad.

So let's be very clear here - which is the crime that is so severe that it merits being cast out of the institution and deprived of the assurance of salvation, and which is the one that isn't?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Sigh. To repeat, the RCC does not(*) punish immoral behavior with automatic excommunication. Because that would take away the access to the sacrament of confession. It "punishes" people that have left the sacramental and/or ecclesial order of the Church with automatic excommunication, i.e., it simply makes official from the Church's side what these people have brought about by their words and deeds already (in the judgment of the Church).

You're not really helping your cause here.

Because what you're saying, in the light of my last (crossposted) post, is that it's far more severe and threatening to one's eternal salvation to go against sacramental/ecclesial order than it is to commit any number of acts of even totally depraved immorality.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
which is the crime that is so severe that it merits being cast out of the institution and deprived of the assurance of salvation, and which is the one that isn't?

According to the RCC they both are, but, again, one more fucking time, that, in and of itself, does not mean the RCC sees both crimes as equally severe. Can you see that?

The question of whether the punishments fit the crimes is entirely separate from the question of whether the RCC see those crimes as equal based on its equal punishment of both.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
which is the crime that is so severe that it merits being cast out of the institution and deprived of the assurance of salvation, and which is the one that isn't?

According to the RCC they both are, but, again, one more fucking time, that, in and of itself, does not mean the RCC sees both crimes as equally severe. Can you see that?

The question of whether the punishments fit the crimes is entirely separate from the question of whether the RCC see those crimes as equal based on its equal punishment of both.

The civil authorities don't give a damn about whether persons with penises should alone be able to be priests. They are and should be concerned about persons of any kind abusing children, which is why cases of this nature should be passed to the civil authorities immediately. The RCC hasn't historically been enthusiastic to do this, hence the bother it is in and recent announcements haven't helped.

The RCC does seem to have a gift for self-destructive comments which must try the patience and faith of many Catholics. It doesn't make me feel any better as an "ex-RCC" but then lots of Christians embarrass me.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Because what you're saying, in the light of my last (crossposted) post, is that it's far more severe and threatening to one's eternal salvation to go against sacramental/ecclesial order than it is to commit any number of acts of even totally depraved immorality.

Well, no. What the Church is saying is that she cannot help you avoiding eternal damnation if you refuse her ecclesial order and in particular her sacramental system. Whether you will go to hell over this is a different matter (the RCC has never declared that any particular person is in hell). It's like being seriously sick and going to the hospital, but then steadfastly disobeying the doctors and refusing all treatment. If the hospital eventually kicks you out, it has nothing to do with their judgment of the severity of your illness. It has to do with making you realize that if you want help from the hospital, it will have to be on the terms of the hospital! Using the same analogy for child abusers: just because somebody has a serious and seriously disgusting illness, perhaps parasitic worm infestation, does not mean that the hospital should kick them out. Rather it should do its job and try its best to cure them...

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well, no. What the Church is saying is that she cannot help you avoiding eternal damnation if you refuse her ecclesial order and in particular her sacramental system. Whether you will go to hell over this is a different matter (the RCC has never declared that any particular person is in hell). It's like being seriously sick and going to the hospital, but then steadfastly disobeying the doctors and refusing all treatment. If the hospital eventually kicks you out, it has nothing to do with their judgment of the severity of your illness. It has to do with making you realize that if you want help from the hospital, it will have to be on the terms of the hospital! Using the same analogy for child abusers: just because somebody has a serious and seriously disgusting illness, perhaps parasitic worm infestation, does not mean that the hospital should kick them out. Rather it should do its job and try its best to cure them...
Which it did by passing paedophiles from post to post, allowing them to continue their ways?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
It's like being seriously sick and going to the hospital, but then steadfastly disobeying the doctors and refusing all treatment.

Seems to me that it's more like the doctors refusing to use certain treatments, and kicking out any patients that request them.

But that's by the by. You've confirmed that, according to the RCC, OOW is a sin that the church cannot reedeem, but kiddy fiddling is reedeemable. Thank you.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, what he has confirmed is that they can both be redeemed, but must be redeemed in different ways, because they differ in nature (which rather counts against your point that they are being identified).

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
It's like being seriously sick and going to the hospital, but then steadfastly disobeying the doctors and refusing all treatment.

Seems to me that it's more like the doctors refusing to use certain treatments, and kicking out any patients that request them.
I think it'd be more accurate to describe it as doctors refusing to do a treatment because everything they've learned in med school says that the given treatment doesn't work.

A woman doing the sacrament, from the RC perspective is leading people to hell by telling them that they're participating in the church when, objectively, they're not. To use another analogy, it's like practicing law without a license. Isn't that considered a crime in secular courts? Far as the RCC is concerned (someone correct me if I'm mistaken,) if you're doing the sacraments outside of its auspices, you're committing fraud.

[ 20. July 2010, 15:36: Message edited by: Bullfrog. ]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it fair to say that the RCC values the immortal soul more highly than the physical body of one of its members?

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ceteris paribus, yes. Of course.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be dangerous to do so, for there is no sign that the understanding in the Bible separates the soul from the body in such a way that allows that distinction to be maintained. After all our risen Lord bears the marks of crucifixion. What happens to the body, happens to the soul as well.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Really? Seriously? So how do you account for this colossal ignorance, and what does it say about the essential nature of the RCC organisation?

Yeah, really, seriously. I see no particular surprise in any of this. The RCC central organization has always been decidedly human, and Italian human for the most part. <<SNIP>>
Not only human, not only Italian, but also male, and, perhaps even more importantly, males who lead lives that are distinclty different in nature from that, say, of the run-of-the-mill Shipmate. Or of most of the folks who turn up for Mass of a normal Sunday.

I am guessing here that most non-religious RCC are not celibate; most have to juggle family, work, civic, and religious obligations along with attempting to keep themselves in reasonable health, etc. Most of us engage in any number of activities unseemly for a celibate, single, childless man of the cloth whose bills get picked up by the organization he works for.

In short, these decision-makes' lives ensure that they will have a very small handle on the experiences that daily shape the perceptions of the rest of us.

They are literally not of this world. Hence, they don't operate very adroitly with respect to that world's perceptions and expectations.

Not to clop off into that nag cemetary, but that is certainly one problem posed by an institutional refusal to ordain women or include them in positions of ecclesiastical and heirarchical authority, coupled with a pretty clear refusal to take the female segment of RCC religious with anything like the same seriousness that their male counterparts get.

An institution whose dome is supported solely by men is going to have trouble communicating effectively with a world where women hold up half the sky.

I seriously doubt there was any intention to equate the two crimes or penalties under discussion here. Was there clumsiness in packaging these matters together? I buy that. Near-criminal naivete in failing to anticipate the resulting public outrage? I buy that too. Is there arrogance in various assumptions (infallibility, disqualification of uteri from priesthood, etc. etc.) made by the Church? Don't ask me; I'm a Protestant.

It's just a PR gaffe. Colossal, stupid, insulting, ham-handed, wrong-headed, and probably a few PR office demotions should ensue. But what else can you expect from a non-worldy institution which steadfastly refuses to take the world into account in its doings?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes and no. Limiting the priesthood to celibate males may be...er...limiting, but it doesn't necessarily have to mean that said priests are hopelessly out of touch. For example, our local Catholic parish priest has a married sister and school-age nieces and nephews whom he says pretty frequently, so he is aware, albeit indirectly, of something of the stresses and strains, joys and griefs of family life.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well said Apocalypso - but WHY do people continue to listen to these ivory tower men?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Yes and no. Limiting the priesthood to celibate males may be...er...limiting, but it doesn't necessarily have to mean that said priests are hopelessly out of touch. For example, our local Catholic parish priest has a married sister and school-age nieces and nephews whom he says pretty frequently, so he is aware, albeit indirectly, of something of the stresses and strains, joys and griefs of family life.

With all respect to the priest in question, visiting a married sister is a very far cry from living that married sister's life.

A close friend of mine is recovering, as I write, from a major surgery. She shares the grisly details of a pretty godawful (albeit life-saving) experience with me. That doesn't mean I share her experience; I just know she's very sick, weak, and in pain, and that, while grateful for the life it gives her, is daunted by what looks to be a slow and difficult recovery.

I am not having to deal with that weakness, sickness, or pain; I am not struggling with myself over whether or not I can muster the wherewithal to walk to the end of the hall; I am also not having to re-shape my sense of who I am as the result of newly-missing important body parts.

More to the point, her experience is going to shape her perceptions and expectations of herself and others for the rest of her life. My hearing about these details from her will have no such effect on my own perceptions and expectations.

Getting married changes us; watching others marry probably doesn't. Becoming parents changes us; watching others parent, not so much.

The observer-witness is a crucial and important role in our society; one of the functions that can legitimately be performed by a priest is to stand by and bear the helplessness of witnessing human suffering and offering support and perspective to those who suffer.

It is not at all the same, though, as bearing the suffering yourself.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

And the enablers of the abusers (such as those who transfer them to unsuspecting parishes, allow them to avoid prosecution by moving them to a different country and otherwise cover up the abuse), get nothing at all, not even a mention.
Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypso:

An institution whose dome is supported solely by men is going to have trouble communicating effectively with a world where women hold up half the sky.

Indeed! Best sentence in this whole thread.

I admit that the RCs I know are liberal and more engaged in the faith as it relates to them on a parish level and on a relationship-with-God level than they are in how Rome manages to make things difficult.

One couple told me poignantly that they think the RCC will split sometime--maybe not in their lifetime, but at some point. They hope that can be avoided, but believe that many in Rome are out of touch and digging in their heels.

They also think it would take just one radical bishop to ordain a woman for the split to begin.

They feel very sad about the current state of affairs since they are life-long Catholics from families which have been Catholic for centuries. They feel there is much about their faith that is good and helpful to them personally, but the disconnect between Rome and the millions of RCs around the world is troubling.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Child abusers don't get automatically excommunicated, which would seem to indicate that it's a lesser crime than OOW.

Which is bullshit, of course. Molesting a child maybe doesn't get you automatically excommunicated, but it is considered a mortal sin. As anyone who bothers to learn what the Catholic Church says about mortal sins would know, if they aren't confessed, they will damn you to hell. And by 'confessed' the Church doesn't just mean 'tell it to a priest.' You must be sincerely contrite, or it will not 'take effect.' You must also take the penance — and whatever punishment you get from the legal authorities.

So while it's true that abusing a child don't get you automatically excommunicated, the punishment is in fact worse than that of a person involved in OOW. The latter will 'merely' barr you from the sacraments. The child molestor, on the other hand, is in fact damning his own soul to hell, and can only be saved if he *really* confesses the act and takes the legal punishment.

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
It would be dangerous to do so [i.e., prefer the struction of the physical body to the damnation of the soul], for there is no sign that the understanding in the Bible separates the soul from the body in such a way that allows that distinction to be maintained. After all our risen Lord bears the marks of crucifixion. What happens to the body, happens to the soul as well.

Jengie

What are you talking about, JJ? That our Lord's risen body bears the scars proves nothing of the sort. Preferring the destruction of the body to the corruption of the soul is so well attested to as a Gospel and Apostolic principle that I can't quite believe that you haven't heard of it. And it had better not be true that "whatever happens to the body happens to the soul as well," or it is very bad news for us all when one's body dies and is destroyed, wouldn't you say?

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Well said Apocalypso - but WHY do people continue to listen to these ivory tower men?

Just to annoy the shitting-crikey out of you, Boogie. No other reason.

[ETA: It's worth it.]

[ 20. July 2010, 18:45: Message edited by: Chesterbelloc ]

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
The disconnect between Rome and the millions of RCs around the world is troubling.

First, I call bullshit on the "millions" of RCs throughout the world yearning for the OoWP to the point of defying (or even seriously contemplating defying) the Church's teaching about that. Don't suppose you can substantiate that any, eh?

Secondly, it is precisely the disconnect between the official magisterium and the perceptions of ultra-liberal (often ill-catechised, almost exclusively first-world) Catholics that "Rome" is trying to fix with clarificatory and disciplinary measures like the one we've been discussing for the last five pages. But it is precisely these off-kilter Catholics who criticise "Rome" for attempting to do so - because it isn't on their terms. Ah well.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Just to annoy the shitting-crikey out of you, Boogie. No other reason.

Yup - it worked.

I have always said I love the RC Church and would convert if it weren't for the priests and the Pope.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypso:

Indeed! Best sentence in this whole thread.

I admit that the RCs I know are liberal and more engaged in the faith as it relates to them on a parish level and on a relationship-with-God level than they are in how Rome manages to make things difficult.

One couple told me poignantly that they think the RCC will split sometime--maybe not in their lifetime, but at some point. They hope that can be avoided, but believe that many in Rome are out of touch and digging in their heels.

They also think it would take just one radical bishop to ordain a woman for the split to begin.

They feel very sad about the current state of affairs since they are life-long Catholics from families which have been Catholic for centuries. They feel there is much about their faith that is good and helpful to them personally, but the disconnect between Rome and the millions of RCs around the world is troubling.

sabine

Because of course there aren't enough Protestant denominations already...
[Roll Eyes]

Why not just join one of the ones that already exist instead of trying to reinvent the wheel for the umpteenth time?

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
quote:
The disconnect between Rome and the millions of RCs around the world is troubling.

First, I call bullshit on the "millions" of RCs throughout the world yearning for the OoWP to the point of defying (or even seriously contemplating defying) the Church's teaching about that. Don't suppose you can substantiate that any, eh?

Secondly, it is precisely the disconnect between the official magisterium and the perceptions of ultra-liberal (often ill-catechised, almost exclusively first-world) Catholics that "Rome" is trying to fix with clarificatory and disciplinary measures like the one we've been discussing for the last five pages. But it is precisely these off-kilter Catholics who criticise "Rome" for attempting to do so - because it isn't on their terms. Ah well.

Besides, since the RCC isn't a democratic institution, and is more or less voluntary, what does it matter what the majority think? Presumably they like the place enough or else they'd just go protestant or atheist or Buddhist or something...

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Boogie offers us this thigh-slapper:
I have always said I love the RC Church and would convert if it weren't for the priests and the Pope.

Boogie, thank you for sharing this colossally ignorant expression of love of 'Catholicism,' whatever that soft-focus word may may mean for you.

quote:
First, I call bullshit on the "millions" of RCs throughout the world yearning for the OoWP

Chesterbelloc, using the handy-dandy internet I learn the following thing: The number of Roman Catholics in the United States is 75.9 million [wolfram dot com].

Now, were only three per cent of these Roman Catholics to be in favor of ordination of women to the priesthood, there you would find your millions, in the USA alone.

I can't get an authoritative cite for you, but it seems that the support for women's ordination in the US has been trending up from about 29% in 1974 to roughly two-thirds in 1992, or perhaps 50 million [Arthur Jones, National Catholic Reporter, July 1992].

Now you probably want to apply some discount for your statement "to the point of defying (or even seriously contemplating defying) the Church's teaching about that," but I doubt you can achieve your aim of 'fewer than millions.' Especially given the widespread defiant acts of artificial contraception among US Roman Catholics.

I deplore the breathless indignation as much as you, but this claim hardly seems hyperbolic.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
Boogie offers us this thigh-slapper:

Boogie, thank you for sharing this colossally ignorant expression of love of 'Catholicism,' whatever that soft-focus word may may mean for you.

You are welcome [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
Now you probably want to apply some discount for your statement "to the point of defying (or even seriously contemplating defying) the Church's teaching about that," but I doubt you can achieve your aim of 'fewer than millions.' Especially given the widespread defiant acts of artificial contraception among US Roman Catholics.

Well, I kinda do, SA - it really matters how many of them would be prepared openly to defy the Church's teaching by adhering publicly to such an ordination, either by seeking such ordination themselves, attending such a ceremony, or becoming a regular part of the flock of such a woman. But maybe I'm still underestimating...
quote:

I deplore the breathless indignation as much as you, but this claim hardly seems hyperbolic.

Okay, I'll meet you halfway - I'll drop the first two syllables if I can keep the last two.... and add an "s". [Biased]

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But here's the point, Chesterbelloc, you should wish that things went so favorably that there was a schismatic wing that nucleated around female priests. At least then the Church would have someone to talk to.

As it is Roman Catholics scandalized by the hierarchy's mind-numbing screw ups just say to themselves "Fuckit" and walk away. Maybe they head back when the cousin's offspring get done at a christening, but mostly they just stop going to mass.

No chance to evangelize them, let alone catechize them, because they rightly view the the Nun's Mass as the unsatisfying pantomime that it is. They're gone. They don't 'defy.' They don't 'seriously defy.' They just vanish like smoke.

Now, if all you want to play is a numbers game, then maybe "I'm all right, Jack," cuz the off-spring of the 'white' immigrants who drift away are counter-balanced by the 'brown' ones who immigrant in.

The presumptuous Episcopalians, with all their flatulent 21st Century Mission Strategies, have been waiting with open arms since the Pedophile Scandal broke. And, they are still waiting, but unlike Moses, fuck all happens when they spread their arms welcoming wide. The disaffected RCs view the TEC Eucharistic Follies as Not Real, despite the best efforts of the Ecumenical Language Hacking of the last half-century.

The only pissed off Catholics who regularly show up in the Episcopal pews are those who love and need Jesus in the Eucharist but who can't stomach what it takes to get a divorc^h^h^h^h^h^h, I mean an annulment as a Roman Catholic.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Ship's Chaplain
Shipmate
# 15751

- Posted      Profile for The Ship's Chaplain         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pace Sisters and Brothers in Christ.

I think perhaps I should direct you all to 1 Corinthians 3

We all belong to Christ Jesus and perhaps we should take time to reflect upon the accusations we are throwing around all too easily.

The way I see it we Roman Catholics have got it wrong when it comes to PR. As one humble member of the Roman Catholic Church, struggling to walk the path which has been trodden by many throughout the ages I apologise for all the hurt caused by this.

It is not within the Roman Catholic tradition to ordain women to the diaconate or presbyterate. If you are a women and you get ordained, then it is not Roman Catholic ordination and therefore is understood by the Church as an act of disobedience to the Church and Apostasy and therefore a grave sin.

It also happens to be a grave sin to sexually abuse children (or anybody for that matter).

The Church does indeed see them as the same "level" of sin. Does it make them equal? Maybe not, in an emotive sense. Many would argue that ordaining a women to the priesthood is not sinful, even if it is done in disobedience to the Church and is an act of Apostasy. I would not like to debate that in writing. [Two face]

Of course a certain person (more important than the Pope) once suggested that looking at a women lustfully is just as sinful as full blown adultery (St. Matthew Chapter 5) [Snigger]

Maybe this is the way of Hell (in that case it is appropriately titled) but I think we should try to respect each other's faith traditions a little more. The kind of debate I have scanned through on this thread has been rather depressing to read.

In Jesus and Mary.

Posts: 99 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice words, but ultimately worth what we paid for them. At heart I am a Roman Catholic* and if the Church tomorrow announced that (a) women are not, in fact, inferior humans fit only to pump out more Catholic spawn, but are equal in the eyes of God; (b) allegations of sexual abuse by the clergy would be automatically referred to local police authorities instead of hiding behind their bullshit lies of taking care of it internally; and (c) priestly celibacy is an archaic, unnatural requirement that they will no longer require, I'd be the first to sign up for RCIA classes.

I WANT Rome to fix their problems. I WANT to go back to church. But while they still act like they can do no wrong and that I'm a second class citizen, I'll stand outside the door and shout until I'm hoarse.

*Yes, yes, I know the knuckledraggers like Chesterbelloc and IngoB will proclaim that since I don't fall in line with every teaching of Rome I can't possibly be RC, but they are stupid and provide no actual value.

[ 20. July 2010, 23:27: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too

I just don't see the Roman Catholic Church changing in my lifetime. So, I'll remain more or less happy as a priest in The Episcopal Church.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Ship's Chaplain
Shipmate
# 15751

- Posted      Profile for The Ship's Chaplain         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin.
My heart goes out to you and if it is OK with you I would like to keep you in my prayers.
I completely understand points (b) and (c) and to an extent I agree with you, I too do not like the culture of secrecy which does seem to be associated with our Church. At the same time it's something I haven't ever experienced in practice but I am only relatively young and inexperienced.
An objection to mandatory priestly celibacy is also something I can understand although I would like there to still be an emphasis on celibacy as a vocation which is equal to married life.
(It did occur to me last Summer when I was at a Parish mass where there were 5 deacons present that it wouldn't be a bad idea to allow deacons to celebrate the Eucharist and hear confessions in our Parishes... risky stuff there [Two face] )

As for being equal in the eyes of God. You are. The Church already proclaims that everyday in the Gospel. Of course you could argue that the people of the Church do not live out that part of the Gospel but I am not one to comment. I too am guilty of treating people differently, ignoring the needs of others and not showing love to those who need it.

Do not let anybody tell you that your religious beliefs are not compatible with the Roman Catholic tradition. Jesus was described by many as a troublemaker, a heretic and a bit wishy-washy.
St Therese of Lisieux had some very untraditional approaches to faith (everybody goes to heaven, not because they have been good but because God is good) she even wrote that she desired to be a priest.
Blessed Theresa of Calcutta didn't really have "faith" per se it is reported that for many years she didn't believe in God. It wasn't until the final few months that she felt aware of his presence.

There are many theologians and priests who I think Jesus wouldn't get on with. I think Jesus would want to batter Mother Angelica as she would tell him that he's got it all wrong.
I think Jesus would be much more at home with those who the clever-clogs say are wrong, those who doubt, those who question and those whose immortal words are "I don't geddit".

Jesus doesn't expect us to get everything right, Jesus expects us to fail.
St Therese of Lisieux wrote of a ladder that she is trying to climb to reach God and like a child with weak legs she cannot even get past the first step whilst she sees all these great saints passing her by. God, seeing her struggling reaches down and carries her to the top.

All God is interested in is that we try reach him by changing our lives, by trying to follow his way.
It doesn't matter if we don't get it quite right or we don't succeed because he can fill in the gaps.

Yours in Jesus and Mary.

Posts: 99 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship's Chaplain:
quote:
As for being equal in the eyes of God. You are. The Church already proclaims that everyday in the Gospel.
That and $2something will get you a tall latte at Starbucks.

And during the era of Jim Crow "separate but equal" was peachy keen. The black folk liked it that way. [Paranoid]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Socratic-enigma
Shipmate
# 12074

- Posted      Profile for Socratic-enigma     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
And during the era of Jim Crow "separate but equal" was peachy keen. The black folk liked it that way. [Paranoid]

“separate but equal” Is that the same as ‘Equal but Different’?

So I guess…

women like it that way?

[Confused]

S-E

--------------------
"Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."
David Hume

Posts: 817 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This woman likes "different but equal" just about as much as African Americans liked Jim Crow. Like nil.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016