homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: What did you think of REV? (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: What did you think of REV?
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wilson:
quote:
Originally posted by +Chad:
I thought it was a kebab.

Me too.
I did too.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too: the only kill-or-cure remedy for having drunk too much.

Although the last five minutes moved me, I thought it ended rather oddly and abruptly.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last week's episode was great; this week's only so-so. Somehow Adam's depression didn't convince me, the "funny dance" was simply pantomime padding, the identity of the fake vicar was easy to guess, and it was predictable that Adam would do something good in the end. There were still some very good moments however - the two minute's silence, and Adam's prayers (as always) rang true.

Overall, I think the series has been very up and down. It has had brilliant incidents, as well as longeurs. Episode 5 (where Adam wants a friend) I found the most moving, Episode 2 (Adam's church gets taken over) the funniest.

ETA: Surely it was a kebab?

[ 03. August 2010, 16:46: Message edited by: Robert Armin ]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Royal Spaniel said
There were quite a few complaints IIRC about 'Allo! 'Allo! because its setting ( occupied France) when it first came out

This probably makes me look very sad, but because of the subject matter, I've never watched that series.

quote:
Hawk said
Personally I really didn't like Alex's treatment of Adam. He was obviously going through a terrible time and she was just flippant, jokey and patronising up to the party. And then at the end when he was the worse for wear she had no sense of damage control .... etc ..

Sorry. No. I'm a bloke but even I think he was behaving appallingly towards her. Even if she didn't actually know he'd tried to invite Ellie out to lunch, he was visibly leering after her in the presence of Alex and lots of other people they knew. He was an embarrassment to be with and he was behaving as though he thought his own immediate angsts were more important than their matrimonial hearth.

quote:
Daisy May said
And he somehow seemed to be sober again when he went with the policeman and prayed for/with that woman...

Oddly, and I don't understand this, I can vouch that that happens. If it's really necessary you do sober up suddenly.

Not that I've had to do what Adam did. I'm not a rev.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Last night I went from laugh-out-loud (Nigel dancing with Adam) to the verge of tears (the scenes with the policeman and the dying woman).
Me too!
As someone heading for vicar factory I've gained so much from watching this 'comedy'.

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
mimsey
Shipmate
# 3757

- Posted      Profile for mimsey   Author's homepage   Email mimsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look at this! Rev has brought me back from a 4 year absence from SoF, just to say how much I loved the series and hope there is another one. As the wife of a priest living in Suffolk (perhaps we're the next Adam and Alex?) I recognised so many aspects of the church I love, loathe and live in.

But who's +Pete calling a "wet rural vicar"?! Feeble clergy don't survive any longer out here in deepest darkest Suffolk than they do in the city, and I would get crosser, but this is Heaven.

--------------------
Certitude! Certitude! Sentiment! Joie! Paix!

Posts: 217 | From: Deepest darkest Suffolk | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mimsey, you could always post here.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adam's dancing had me in tears of laughter. So much funnier than the ape like antics of Ricky Gervais. I loved this last episode though I was saddened that a critical MW report could have such an effect on a sincere but flawed vicar.

Alex's attitude IMO was wonderful. Her flippant, non judgemental attitude to Adam's wanking amazed me [Overused] . Her detachment from his behaviour is just what a wife needs to do when a husband breaks down.

Pete just may be too close to the subject matter to appreciate the comedy. I know that I cringe at any scene that takes place in a library as I can pick so many holes in the action.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
And he somehow seemed to be sober again when he went with the policeman and prayed for/with that woman...

That's true-to-life. Many people act drunk and snap out of it when something urgent turns up.
(that still doesn't mean you should give them the car keys)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Awesome. Probably he most intense exploration of a faith crisis I have ever seen.

Yes it was slightly overdone, as always,for dramatic and comedy effect. But not hugely. I think it indicated a real faith crisis, a complete crash and rejection of his "vicardom". OK, all too crushed in, but that's TV for you. All of the elements are what I experience on occasions, when I am having faith problems, and I know others experience in the same situation.

It was partly prompted by the bad review, which was quite strange to see, but that was just the focus of a crisis that has been coming for a while. He felt that, for all of his work, the one sermon that was picked up was rubbish, and it was just his luck that this was when he had been reviewed.

Adams crash, watching daytime tv (that is a clear indication of brain death), having a wank, and admitting it to Alex made sense - he wanted not to care, not to play a part anymore. His treatment of Alex was bad, but he was having a serious crisis (and it could have been a nervous breakdown), which explains (not justifies) it.

Adams admission of his feelings for the headmistress was good to get out in the open, and he almost wanted to have an affair, or at least try it.

Alex's treatment of Adam was harsh, probably not helped by the fact that they were both drunk. And She was probably fed up with his crises, and working hard so not really wanting to have to deal with one.

And the final scene - just out of this world. It could have ended with a complete loss of faith, being the last of the series. As it was, Adam re-affirmed his own ordination - sort of a re-ordination - before embracing what he was good at.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was one of the few happy endings that didn't make me puke.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orlando098
Shipmate
# 14930

- Posted      Profile for Orlando098   Email Orlando098   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Liked it, especially the last one. Though I did think the vicar's job seemed to involve a rather inordinate amount of time hanging out with Colin (and I found his catchphrase of calling Adam 'Vicarage' a bit odd), and I agree with people who said maybe it didn't give such a great impression of the church that there were only around half a dozen people there for his Sunday services.. but then again I guess it added to the comedy factor that things were all a little bit of a struggle, and you warm to someone who is a bit of an underdog. Pleased to have found it thanks to this site - and impressed that the Ship inspired part of the last episode's storyline. Liked how they showed the crisis of faith in the last one, but still came up with a dignified, moving end. Watching a good BBC comedy made me feel a bit homesick.
Posts: 1019 | From: Nice, France | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Last week's episode was great; this week's only so-so. Somehow Adam's depression didn't convince me,

It rang all too true for me -- but then again I watched it this lunchtime having had a really dopey morning and on the verge of that myself.

quote:
..., the identity of the fake vicar was easy to guess,
was it? That was the thing I didn't find convincing given that Adoha said something about going to see the other one and surely she would have recognised Colin.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took Adoah's comment about the other vicar to refer to Adam - the nice, likeable one not having a crisis.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The midlife crisis, followed by a quick sober up and back to business when faced with a dying parishioner was a brilliant way to end the series. When is it returning? Soon, hopefully.

I'd not have believed the drunken escapades until that bishop story broke last year....

'I AM the vicar, it's what I do!'

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by +Chad:
I took Adoah's comment about the other vicar to refer to Adam - the nice, likeable one not having a crisis.

Yes that's what I thought too.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
The midlife crisis, followed by a quick sober up and back to business when faced with a dying parishioner was a brilliant way to end the series. When is it returning? Soon, hopefully.

I'd not have believed the drunken escapades until that bishop story broke last year....

'I AM the vicar, it's what I do!'

I was really hoping they'd do a "it's what I do" joke, but I suppose that could have landed them it hot water [Snigger]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But we know he's in London, not south of the river...
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking today that the most fantastic thing about the last episode was that it showed a faith crisis as it actually is. It also reminded me of a vicar I used to know, who Adam reminded me of, who ran off with his organist.

Most times a faith crisis is presented, it is either "vicar runs off with headmaster". Which is where Adam could have ended up. Or it is an intellectual discussion of "can one really believe this?". Whereas Adams crisis was real. He could have lost his job, his house, his wife, everything. That is the reality of a faith crisis - if faith means anything, losing it means everything.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen and amen.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
It also reminded me of a vicar I used to know, who Adam reminded me of, who ran off with his organist.

Nobody ever runs off with me. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only just realised we were meant to be shocked by the 'wank'! Am I a total degenerate with no respect for the clergy?

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
It also reminded me of a vicar I used to know, who Adam reminded me of, who ran off with his organist.

Nobody ever runs off with me. [Disappointed]
Obviously, your clergy are in a well-adjusted phase. It is something to be grateful for.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrs whibley:
I've only just realised we were meant to be shocked by the 'wank'! Am I a total degenerate with no respect for the clergy?

Somehow, I found that harder to take than their sexy games - in a lift! - in episode two. The idea of Adam and Alex having normal, even somewhat adventurous, sex lives, didn't jar at all. But the mental image of Adam masturbating is one I found a little bit discomforting, and would rather have been spared.

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He only said it - quite mild for post 10pm I'd have thought. And it was said to shock his wife - I loved her totally unfazed reply!

--------------------

Orlando098
Shipmate
# 14930

- Posted      Profile for Orlando098   Email Orlando098   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we meant to be shocked that vicars sometimes wank? It's not unheard of for humans to do this, and vicars are human..

[ 05. August 2010, 21:49: Message edited by: Orlando098 ]

Posts: 1019 | From: Nice, France | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Well blimey, they actually go to the loo, as well. Even Archdeacons and Bishops.

(Although I prefer not to actually see such portrayals on television.)

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just caught up with the eagerly-anticipated last episode, and feeling strangely desolate. Blackadder is a good parallel, but maybe not a complete one, as Rev's conclusion was so much more complex. Should the conclusion be viewed as redemption, self-sacrifice, acceptance of the inevitable, or all or none of those? What does he believe, and does that matter? Did he remember what he used to believe, and does that mean he believes that now, or that he trusts his past self to get it right? Did he realise that it's useful for him and others if he pretends to believe? Is there any difference in the long term?

Unlike some, I found his breakdown and reactions to it all too believable. To him, the headmistress was both forbidden fruit and a potential gateway to a different life, so his advances made sense if he'd stopped caring about anything. The question of exactly what he was thinking (or whether he was really thinking with his brain at all) is complex, but it doesn't seem unusual behaviour. ISTM that as this is a fairly regular occurrence, Alex has learnt that when he's feeling like that, he sorts himself out faster if he's chivvied along ("you're not still moping about that, are you?"), rather than being drowned in sympathy. I imagine there was a similar rationale for letting him make an idiot of himself at the party, rather than dragging him home to sleep it off.

It would be great if they could make another series, but only if the standard can be maintained. I'd rather leave it where it is than see it turned into a "normal" sitcom.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Gumby -yes. And no. And maybe.

I think the point is that he has not resolved his doubts and problems, but he has realised his calling. And his calling from God, along with his acceptance of it, is all that he needs.

Thats my take on it, at least. He is called as his is, with his doubts, problems and wanking. And his calling is what makes him a vicar, not his behaviour or feelings.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if I'm being too shallow, and not getting all the nuances of the final episode, but I saw it as Adam spiralling into a bit of a breakdown, as discussed above, and then, as the policeman asked him to minister to the dying woman, he recalled his ordination vows. In ministering to the woman God kind of pulled him up short, and reminded him that he is needed by God.

So when the policeman offered him his flask at the very end, and Adam said "No thanks, I'm fine" it wasn't just "No thanks I don't want any whisky (or whatever)" it was also "No, I'm fine - God has reminded me what I'm here for". It was that final "I'm fine" that brought a lump to my throat, as Adam affirmed that actually, after all the crap that he'd gone through, yes, he *was* fine.

Though, as I say, maybe I'm not thinking bout it all deeply enough.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dormouse - that was my interpretation as well.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just watched it and agree where he says he is fine because he is hearing God again. I don't think he is necessarily over it but is on the way and recognises that. That's my interpretation, anyway.

I also loved all his prayers throughout the series.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Ship's Chaplain
Shipmate
# 15751

- Posted      Profile for The Ship's Chaplain         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if I'm the only person who thinks that Reverend Adam Smallbone is similar to the Reverend Peter Owen Jones?
Posts: 99 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ondergard
Shipmate
# 9324

- Posted      Profile for Ondergard   Email Ondergard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I really REALLY liked the archdeacon - (previously seen as the nerdy choirmaster at Dibley! Insider joke, perhaps?).
I wondered where I'd seen him... I'd been racking my brains, so thatnk you SO much for putting that annoyance to rest!
Posts: 276 | From: Essex | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ondergard
Shipmate
# 9324

- Posted      Profile for Ondergard   Email Ondergard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

(Am I the only one who finds her absolutely jaw-droppingly attractive, not just in Rev, but in most roles she has played?)

Yes. I think she's a complete munter... but then again, I'm a minister who is married to a woman who truly is jaw-droppingly attractive.
Posts: 276 | From: Essex | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ship's Chaplain:
I wonder if I'm the only person who thinks that Reverend Adam Smallbone is similar to the Reverend Peter Owen Jones?

Me too - it's the "intense gaze" they both share.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Andromeda
Shipmate
# 11304

- Posted      Profile for Andromeda   Email Andromeda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've loved the series and thought the last episode was great. I'm sad to see it end and hope there'll be more. (Hope it comes out on DVD)

Highlights for me were:
Colin's Richard Dawkins comment (see sig)
Head shot of Adam praying in earnest, and then coming out of a toilet cubicle
Nigel's costume at the vicars and tarts party
Reference to the mystery worshipper (of course)
The final scene of episode 6 (I cried)
The whole of episode 2

Great stuff

PS It was a kebab.
PPS adrenaline is a great soberer

[ 08. August 2010, 16:46: Message edited by: Andromeda ]

--------------------
In this world you’ll have trouble. But cheer up! I have overcome the world.

Posts: 57 | From: South Wales | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
He only said it - quite mild for post 10pm I'd have thought. And it was said to shock his wife - I loved her totally unfazed reply!

If Olivia Colman offered to help me with a wank, I'd be quite pleased!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This was really great little series, which brought out the way God just gets you in the end. So often Christianity is presented as a sort of lifestyle choice, when in fact that isn't how it works at all.

It was quite beautiful, in the final episode when, after all the childish angst and ego, when it came down it the Rev fully accepted his calling: 'Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?' And I said 'Here I am; send me!'

I think there's amply room for another series if the writer's, actors, producers and the Beeb have the will to do it.

J

[ 10. August 2010, 15:37: Message edited by: dorothea ]

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive me my apostrophe errors. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dorothea:
Forgive me my apostrophe errors. [Hot and Hormonal]

As we forgive those who apostrophyerror against us. [Votive] [Smile]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

For those who liked it, can I suggest that you tell the BBC, to encourage them to do it again.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

BelandtheDragon
Apprentice
# 14708

- Posted      Profile for BelandtheDragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies for coming in a bit late on this thread, but I have just finished watching the series and thought I would comment (this will be massively purgatorial/hellish as well - sorry)

I must say that I largely agree with the comments of the bishop up-thread. The central character was a pathetic wimp who made occasional nods to having a prayer-life - frankly I think Fr Ted Crilly is a better ambassador as a man of God.

The problem with the programme as a whole - like so many BBC series - was that it dripped with contemporary metropolitan liberal attitudes, to the extent of making it unwatchable. I found Alex and the improbably young headmistress quite repellent, two-dimensional perfect women without apparent flaw, doing the sort of 'worthy' 'caring jobs that the secular Guardianista probably thinks Christianity is about. Note neither had any apparent faith, but were much more together than Rev Smallbone. A series that truly challenged people's attitudes would have seen the smug smiles wiped off the faces that pair at least once.

I really wanted to like Rev. And there were a quite a few laughs for me. Nigel was a potentially brilliant character as foil for Adam, but totally underused. The archdeacon seemed to be a character written for the political comedies the writers worked on previously, shoe-horned into a dog-collar, but - if not necessarily realistic - did amuse. But apart from my dislike of the vicar, his wife, and the headmistress, too many things did not ring true:

Episode 1: School-whores suddenly turned up on the rumour of a good Ofsted. This is not how it works. VA schools are identified as a way of middle-class parents to segregate their offspring, the church attendance game is played almost from birth, and played well (getting involved in church activities etc). The good Ofsted's follow once a school has a middle-class roll-call. The Church quite happily colludes in this behaviour as it means bums on pews - a genuine moral dilema that the programme could have addressed. Was St Martin's school even VA - the classroom demographics suggest it was not the sort of place Mumsnetters go for? Oh, and the arrogant MP seemed to be from 80s casting for a Tory bastard, in real life its smoothy NuLab types (who represent these sorts of constituency) who play the faith school game , see self-proclaimed atheist David Milliband's choice for his offspring. Oh, and most decent people don't yell obscenities in the street when mildly provoked.

Episode 2: It's always good to have a laugh at HTP type evangelicals, but could the political motivations in the portrayal of the "Darren" character be any less subtle. Clergymen who actually win souls are all bastards and charlatans, but harmless liberals like Adam are OK. I can't think any voluntary organisation who would exclude an irritating but harmless and loyal member like Colin for such a minor indiscretion. Oh, and struggling congregations in urban areas means 40 turning up on a bad day, not 4. Total rubbish, even allowing for comic effect.

Episode 3&4: Offended me less, although the bishop up-thread commented on the unrealistic portrayal of relationships with Muslims.

Episode 5: Why is Rev S married to the awful Alex? It would probably shock the reprobates at the Beeb to know that the are married couples who don't have any sexual past, but isn't it the sort of thing a genuinely committed wife would bring up early on in the relationship? Nice middle-class girls tend not to have black ex-boyfriends, but even in PeeCee land the oafish groom seemed rather unlikely. A suave and intelligent Felix Dexter / Don Warrington type for whom Alex still had a flame would have been more realistic, and posed more serious questions and doubts in Adam's mind.

Episode 6: The "meltdown" was completely unbelievably portrayed. The worst episode of the series.

Posts: 44 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BelandtheDragon:
... it dripped with contemporary metropolitan liberal attitudes, to the extent of making it unwatchable.

But clearly not quite unwatchable enough, as far as you were concerned.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nice middle-class girls tend not to have black ex-boyfriends

Really?
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
For those who liked it, can I suggest that you tell the BBC, to encourage them to do it again.

Last week, one of the clerics very closely involved with the series consultation got up into the pulpit and declared, 'Don't worry - there will be another series'.

I heard it with my own ears.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And to those wishing it out on DVD - it will be. Release date is 25th October at the moment.

I've already got mine on pre-order...

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tina
Shipmate
# 63

- Posted      Profile for Tina   Email Tina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nice middle-class girls tend not to have black ex-boyfriends, but

... I know quite a few with black husbands.
Posts: 503 | From: South London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Heh, heh - then we can ditch all those outdated Alpha videos!

REV - the new new 'introduction to Christianity course'.

--------------------

Tina
Shipmate
# 63

- Posted      Profile for Tina   Email Tina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... some are mixed-race marriages, and some are between two nice middle-class black people [Big Grin]

(x-post with Chorister)

[ 01. September 2010, 07:59: Message edited by: Tina ]

Posts: 503 | From: South London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016