homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: What did you think of REV? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: What did you think of REV?
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
Alexander Armstrong is good but can play smarmy MPs in his sleep.

And they're always called Patrick. Maybe that should be on the baby names thread!

Definitely interested to see how this turns out. [Smile]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
The Methodist Recorder's review today complains about the "sexually explicit and vulgar language" which I think is rather to miss the point.

Indeed. On the whole, the sexually explicit and vulgar language came from the people around the vicar, much of it trying to shock him. That seems pretty realistic to me.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I caught it on i-Player the other night and was quite impressed. With regard to the comments that the congregation didn't match the supposedly Anglo-Catholic previous incumbent, I didn't find that too much of a jar. After all, it's not THAT uncommon for the ecclesiology of the priest and congregation not to match. At any rate, I've certainly met it before.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing I thought was spot on was the complete and utter contempt shown to the vicar and by implication the church, from all the non-Christian characters in the show.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really liked it, although it had been billed as a "Thick of It for the church" or similar, and it wasn't that funny. I thought the evil Archdeacon was brilliant. The only bit I wasn't keen on was the Dawkins discussion at the end: it felt a bit shoe-horned in.

Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to the next episode. [Big Grin]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
One thing I thought was spot on was the complete and utter contempt shown to the vicar and by implication the church, from all the non-Christian characters in the show.

[Roll Eyes]

Depends what you mean by non-Christian, and what their motives were. The builders were clearly only 'avin a larf', and the slimy MP had his own agenda. But if the series is in any way realistic I would expect to see many members of the local community warming to the vicar and the church while remaining 'outside the fold'. If you want real contempt, I would wait for the first PCC meeting.

[ 02. July 2010, 17:19: Message edited by: Angloid ]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Andromeda
Shipmate
# 11304

- Posted      Profile for Andromeda   Email Andromeda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a little disappointed at first to find it so slow, however it did have a certain appeal. I found the vicar a quite positive character, which is refreshing on TV these days. The best thing though was the hot-headed Colin's Richard Dawkins line delivered in such a no-nonsense northern acceent:

If I met Richard Dawkins - I'd kick him the bollocks

That made me laugh out loud! I will be watching the series with interest. More of a comedy drama than a sit-com though.

--------------------
In this world you’ll have trouble. But cheer up! I have overcome the world.

Posts: 57 | From: South Wales | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Shipmate
# 2996

- Posted      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
our vicar always looks around to check no-one else is watching and then takes his dog collar off if he is going to swear.

Tessa, do I know you?! [Biased]

--------------------
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is a moron, while anyone driving faster is a maniac? Jerry Seinfeld

Posts: 509 | From: Kent | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am reminded of the occasion in 1990 when I was on my way to an induction, on my motorbike. A motorist pulled blindly out of a driveway and skittled me. As I strode towards her removing helmet, gloves and scarf, and temporarily forgetting the garb I was wearing, I snarled "what the fucking hell do you think you're doing ..." . Her eyes grew bigger and bigger, fixed on my dog collar.

I later sat through the induction with a growing wrist. [Frown]

[ 03. July 2010, 08:14: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could have been worse had she been the area dean.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Andromeda
Shipmate
# 11304

- Posted      Profile for Andromeda   Email Andromeda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

I actually thought that the builders were quite over the top and unrealistic. That was one but that didn't really ring true for me.

--------------------
In this world you’ll have trouble. But cheer up! I have overcome the world.

Posts: 57 | From: South Wales | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andromeda:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

I actually thought that the builders were quite over the top and unrealistic. That was one but that didn't really ring true for me.
According to the producer it's based on a true story.

Mind you, when I watched it I thought the archdeacon came across as OTT, so I'm slightly scared by the number of clergy who find him true to life ... [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sainted mother phoned me up to say how offended she was, thats guaranteed to keep me watching [Killing me]

Here's a clip from this week's show, if anyone is interested....

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to St. Ikea's.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:

Mind you, when I watched it I thought the archdeacon came across as OTT, so I'm slightly scared by the number of clergy who find him true to life ... [Ultra confused]

We have cuddly Archdeacons in Liverpool, Ricardus! But this one is quite believable.
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm alarmed to hear how many people thought the Archdeacon was true to life. Having finally watched the episode I thought he was a wild caricature, but maybe I've been lucky. Most of the programme didn't ring true to me, but I liked the bit where he prayed, and then did the right thing. (But why couldn't both weddings have been on the same day? In years gone by I've done five weddings on a single Saturday - not a lot of fun.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's episode in which apparently Adam responds to the Archdeacon's demand for more bums on pews, by linking up with a neighbouring (HTB?) evangelical cleric.

--------------------

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And Alex's opinion of him is exactly the same as mine! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
(But why couldn't both weddings have been on the same day? In years gone by I've done five weddings on a single Saturday - not a lot of fun.)

If it's a typical inner London parish, the first bride would be at least an hour and a half late, which would make scheduling a second wedding a bit risky!

[Biased]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
what's the likelihood that that bridegroom will miss that high note in Angels?
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm loving it. And I'm sure my experiences here on the Ship have primed me for a lot of the nuances — not least of which is the credibility of a vicar taking his collar off and telling someone to fuck off.

Rev is developing nicely into one of the best, most intelligent comedies the BBC has put out in years.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kankucho:
my experiences here on the Ship have primed me for a lot of the nuances — not least of which is the credibility of a vicar taking his collar off and telling someone to fuck off.

Once upon a time that scene would have shocked me, but not after five years on The Ship. [Biased]

It seems more true to life than the po-faced buck-toothed TV portrayal of clergy that has had me wincing with embarrassment for years.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just watched the clip and laughed very very much, especially at the PA comment. Laughter from recognition, largely...
Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised that noone else has mentioned what was REALLY shocking about this vicar's behaviour....(whisper) he was smoking! [Eek!] [Biased] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RRev is on in the next couple of minutes if you fancied it... couple of us are int he cafe...
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm watching this through my fingers IYKWIM.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still giggling at the 'what a knob-end' comment!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he's going to regret using Darren as a kinky nickname...
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to graft in the 'names' thread, but the pseudo-HTB vicar wasn't really a 'Darren' was he? he was really a Jago or a Toby or possibly a Nicky.

--------------------

parm
Shipmate
# 9287

- Posted      Profile for parm   Email parm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was close to the mark in so very, very many ways. Someone's clearly done their research. I spent the whole programme on the line between laughter and deep, heartfelt sorrow. I mean, clearly there were some soft targets there and the charicature of charismatic/evo churches was painted with fairly broad strokes, but as someone who's been there... ouch. Really, really ouch.

--------------------
Honestly, I have no idea.

Posts: 98 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
hilaryg
Shipmate
# 11690

- Posted      Profile for hilaryg   Email hilaryg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Archdeacon is turning into the star of the show. Lovely little scene when he backs Adam up at the end.
Posts: 261 | From: back home in England | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Sorry to graft in the 'names' thread, but the pseudo-HTB vicar wasn't really a 'Darren' was he? he was really a Jago or a Toby or possibly a Nicky.

Yeah - seems to borrow mannerisms from Nicky G...
but I hope that some hTB dynamics aren't so sinister as the "Be my friend" line...

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Brilliant!!! And brilliant casting to make Darren twice the size of Adam. The clothes and the grin were just right. And his dismissal of Adam's quoting of scripture because it didn't suit his purpose.
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great episode. Loved the way the vicar stood up for Colin. I thought that for someone in a comedy programme (and it was funny) to really show Christ's love in that way was so refreshing. The vicar is a very sympathetic character who obviously has a real and deep faith and that is unusual I think in comedy shows.(The vicar of Dibley just didn't seem to have the same level of faith and reliance on God.)

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Archdeacon has a soul after all - and very good taste in young men. [Smile] And ambition - purple scarf and a pectoral cross.

I can't comment on HTB, but they gave Darren traits I've seen in some 'ministers' of that ilk - bragging about their vibrant, lively, God-filled, happy places, and the money they generate. "Awesome". [Biased]

I have to say that the Darren ego-trip reminded me of the ill-fated Nine O'Clock Service.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enjoyed it again though the Evos were very caricatured. But that's probably just my background/baggage showing through. I had to keep telling myself that that's how it must look from the outside.

But my bigger problem with the episode was the portrayal of the vicar being so timid and reserved sexually. I know he talked about being tired and that it was the job that got in the way rather than his lack of desire, but there was something in the performance that still felt too close to the sexless vicar cliche.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by wilson:
Enjoyed it again though the Evos were very caricatured. But that's probably just my background/baggage showing through. I had to keep telling myself that that's how it must look from the outside.

But my bigger problem with the episode was the portrayal of the vicar being so timid and reserved sexually. I know he talked about being tired and that it was the job that got in the way rather than his lack of desire, but there was something in the performance that still felt too close to the sexless vicar cliche.

Just maybe that his mental model didn't cover as wide a range as his wife? It is known...
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by +Chad:
I have to say that the Darren ego-trip reminded me of the ill-fated Nine O'Clock Service.

Yes, it reminded me all to deeply of that poisonous little episode. I punched the air with tears in my eyes when the Archdeacon stood up to Darren at the end.

I think that Rev is more "The Office" to the Vicar of Dibley's "Last of the Summer Wine".

Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really looking forward to more of the Archdeacon over the rest of the series. I loved it when he backed Adam up over Colin. Very much enjoying this series, I hope it gains a wide following.
Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Benny Diction 2
Shipmate
# 14159

- Posted      Profile for Benny Diction 2   Author's homepage   Email Benny Diction 2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
Great episode. Loved the way the vicar stood up for Colin. I thought that for someone in a comedy programme (and it was funny) to really show Christ's love in that way was so refreshing. The vicar is a very sympathetic character who obviously has a real and deep faith and that is unusual I think in comedy shows.(The vicar of Dibley just didn't seem to have the same level of faith and reliance on God.)

I totally agree.

There is so much about this series that strikes a chord with me in ministry. Yes of cause some of it is exaggerated for laughs but there is so much truth in it.

I just have a sneaking feeling it might only last the one series which will be a pity.

--------------------
Benny Diction

"The Labour party has never been a socialist party, although there have always been socialists in it - a bit like Christians in the Church of England." Tony Benn

Posts: 859 | From: Home of the magic roundabout | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Benny Diction 2
Shipmate
# 14159

- Posted      Profile for Benny Diction 2   Author's homepage   Email Benny Diction 2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double post.

I was saying to my wife last night that I was sure the actor playing the Archdeacon was the same chap who played the organist / choir master in the Vicar of Dibley. And I was right! Simon McBurney

--------------------
Benny Diction

"The Labour party has never been a socialist party, although there have always been socialists in it - a bit like Christians in the Church of England." Tony Benn

Posts: 859 | From: Home of the magic roundabout | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Benny Diction 2:

I just have a sneaking feeling it might only last the one series which will be a pity.

Never mind. The DVDs will be in every vicar's (and minister's) Christmas stocking and will be watched many times.

--------------------

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Viewing figures of over 2 million for the first episode according to Wikipedia. For a BBC2 late-night comedy that is very respectable and if it doesn't drop off we might see a second series yet.
Deckhand
Shipmate
# 15545

- Posted      Profile for Deckhand   Author's homepage   Email Deckhand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like most who have posted, I regard 'Rev' as the treat of the week. I just wish the programme was a little longer, say 45 minutes, as this would allow exploration of the many points to be a little more leisurely and less one-liner sitcom style.

--------------------
Lay Anglicana discussion forum and blog

Posts: 1360 | From: Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think HTB would have sued for libel if they'd made him Nicky.

Also scary - 'we do take all major credit cards!' right at the beginning of the service...

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oxonian Ecclesiastic
Shipmate
# 12722

- Posted      Profile for Oxonian Ecclesiastic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thurible:

quote:
The closeted, educated, bookish type who is higher than he'd like his church to be ("Hello, Father!" "Please call me Adam!") and has become a Reader [after being turned down by his BAP*] despite having the pastoral skills of a gnat?
Following last night's episode, not so closeted, it would seem! They've (thankfully?) done themselves out of a storyline there.
Posts: 174 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
I think that Rev is more "The Office" to the Vicar of Dibley's "Last of the Summer Wine".

Yes, agree absolutely with the Dibley = Summer Wine comparison, though I'm hoping Rev will be more like "Green Wing" or "Scrubs" than "The Office", which I admire enormously, but somehow don't really like.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

quote:
Originally posted by Panda:
quote:

I think HTB would have sued for libel if they'd made him Nicky.

Also scary - 'we do take all major credit cards!' right at the beginning of the service...

HTB'd have sued for libel if they'd made Darren a Toby or a Jago too--how do you think I came to pick those particular monikers? But you really do have to do the Public School Evo ethos to be accurate in your satire, so Darren isn't quite right. Xander? Rupert? James even?

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*sigh*

I dare the CBC to do something like this.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
*sigh*

I dare the CBC to do something like this.

Does BBC iPlayer work in Canada? If so you can watch it online.

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016