homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: What did you think of REV? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: What did you think of REV?
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC restricts non-UK IP addresses from using iPlayer as we, the great unwashed, do not pay TV Licence fees or UK taxes, for that matter.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ouch. When it comes out on DVD I'll buy you one and send it to you.

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was mildly hopeful after the first episode, but very disapointed after the second one. It seemed much more Dibley like and far fetched. And silly.
BUT the Arcdeacon is the star of the production. So I might give it another try,

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RadicalWhig:

Thanks. [Smile]

I used to follow The Magistrate's Blog, a sitting, anonymous JP who blogs. I think he's somewhere in Berkshire. Every so often he has to deal with "Private Prosecutions", particularly people who don't pay their TV licences. So he gets to spend a whole morning dealing with a parade of single mothers, penniless people with no other means of distraction, jobless people who have hit rock bottom, you name the sob story, it's there. All over non-payment of a TV tax.

I really don't begrudge the BBC lockout policy after reading that. I'd pay the fee myself as a subscription if the BBC allowed such a thing, but it doesn't, so I'm locked out.

I really don't want to spoof the system for the same reason.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Weeder:
I was mildly hopeful after the first episode, but very disapointed after the second one. It seemed much more Dibley like and far fetched. And silly.
BUT the Arcdeacon is the star of the production. So I might give it another try,

Oh - you'd be surprised. Yes, the evos were broad-brush, but the rapper definitely went into Crappy Choruses territory... "come see the size of my love", indeed...
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After seeing this thread I sat down and watched the first episode last night. I was so impressed I watched the second one striaght away. I'm not Anglican but I was chuckling all the way through. The characters are very well-written and I love the style of the show - not depressing like if it had been put on by Channel 4, or silly sit-com like BBC3. It's the perfect balance of real-life problems and hopeful, understated, very British optimism.

It's certainly not the Vicar of Dibley, which, though had more laughs, was almost unrecognisably Christian at times since Dawn French hardly mentioned God or faith and seemed to spend most of her time stuffing her face with chocolate and chasing men. Also, it's far from 'The Office', being much more positive and the characters more sympathetic than cringeingly awful.

I don't agree with wilson's post about the sexless vicar cliche. I'm amazed he was watching the same show as me. Adam's reaction to 'Vivien' was miles away from that idea.

The evos were broad brush and seemed to be a very concentrated form of the species, with their worst excesses all pushed into one service. But it was true to life. If this show continues I hope it will illuminate a lot of religious issues for non-religious people. I can just imagine teachers showing these episodes to their GCSE RE classes as part of the lesson, just like VoD was shown to me when I was doing it.

One question - what's 'HTB'?

[ 07. July 2010, 08:32: Message edited by: Hawk ]

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HTB: http://www.htb.org.uk/focus

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I quite liked the first epsiode, but loved the second! Colin, for me, is the star of the show. His talk early on about wanting sex was both honest and hilarious - and that was even before he saved the day. ("She's a virgin. Well, a born again virgin." Wonderful.) The Archdeacon's moment of decency was good too, but I hope he doesn't get totally reformed. There's a lot of mileage in him as The-man-you-love-to-hate-the-most.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
I don't agree with wilson's post about the sexless vicar cliche. I'm amazed he was watching the same show as me. Adam's reaction to 'Vivien' was miles away from that idea.

I did acknowledge that it was an impression I got despite some of the things they showed to the contrary. I've been thinking about it some more and it's not that he shows no sex drive, nor that his wife seems to have a more adventurous streak (which I think is what AlexC was referring to with references to "mental model"s) it's the fact that he's reactive, almost passive and a bit timid when it comes to his sexuality. And there's nothing wrong with that per se it's just it seems to be of a type (the "sexless" vicar) with what we've seen plenty of times before.

It's a minor niggle.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it's difficult being reckless and uninhibited when you've got a window-cleaner spying on you at all hours. Adam's lack of sex-drive, if indeed it is such, is an occupational hazard!

I agree that the evo takeover was caricatured, and it wouldn't happen just like that (I hope!). But the characterisation was pretty accurate, and some of the lines - 'I've written off this dying church and I'll take my money elsewhere' - or his patronising approach to the 'vicar's wife' - were spot on.

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
The Archdeacon's moment of decency was good too, but I hope he doesn't get totally reformed. There's a lot of mileage in him as The-man-you-love-to-hate-the-most.

Indeed - but I noticed his words were on the lines of "We can't be seen to ban people from church". Note - be seen. It's the words of a man who would happily stop someone coming by subtler means, but knows that banning someone outright is a pr failure.

I love that character! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lola

Ship's kink
# 627

- Posted      Profile for Lola     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
quote:
The Archdeacon's moment of decency was good too, but I hope he doesn't get totally reformed. There's a lot of mileage in him as The-man-you-love-to-hate-the-most.

Indeed - but I noticed his words were on the lines of "We can't be seen to ban people from church". Note - be seen. It's the words of a man who would happily stop someone coming by subtler means, but knows that banning someone outright is a pr failure.

I love that character! [Big Grin]

I thought it was a beautifully played moment - I thought the Arch Deacon was so delicious because it seemed he was enjoying the fact that by doing the right thing he would potentially get one over on the Area Dean too!
Posts: 951 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lola

Ship's kink
# 627

- Posted      Profile for Lola     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dibley always used to end with Geraldine and Alice having coffee in the vestry after evensong, Geraldine telling Alice rude jokes that she didn't understand.

I am wondering if Rev will end its episodes with Adam and Colin smoking on the park bench in the church yard, talking about faith. The best part is that so far both of them get to say things that are pretty profound (Dawkins doesn't understand the concept of forgiveness, yeah but don't you still want to kick him in the balls, eh?....God's love is more profound than sex, sure but sometimes that just doesn't do it)

Posts: 951 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of us who aren't Church of England, could someone please briefly explain (without getting all purgatorial) how important an Arch Deacon is? Is he Adam's "boss"?

I mean, does Adam go along with all that pointless driving around in taxis because he has to - i.e. saying no and standing up to the Arch Deacon would get him spent to the headmaster's office, or does he go along with it because he is displaying a certain timidity of character?

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
quote:

I thought it was wonderfully ambiguous - did he say that because he only cares about PR, or because he knows that's all Darren is interested in?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am loving the series and suggest that the Archdeacon is a direct descendant of Archdeacon Grantley in the 1981 TV version of Barchester Towers (who played him - was it Nigel Hawthorne?). Anyway, the Archdeacon in Rev seemed to have modelled many of the same mannerisms and basic character traits.
Posts: 1170 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For those of us who aren't Church of England, could someone please briefly explain (without getting all purgatorial) how important an Arch Deacon is? Is he Adam's "boss"?

From my experience, Archdeacons are "middle management", the ones that deal with day to day practical problems, so in a sense it is like being sent to see the headmaster which is one step down from being interviewed by the police.

I loved the Archdeacon standing up to Darren, I saw it as a rather coldly calculated ploy - he can push Adam around and make him do exactly as he wants but Darren might outgrow his authority and he couldn't have that at all. Better to make a stand that would be eminently defensible to the upper echelons on moral grounds while being highly advantageous to keeping a firm hand on the tiller, so to speak. The Archdeacon is one of the best characters I have seen in ages, I just want him to use CJ's* "one, two, three, four, make'em wait outside the door..."

*CJ - the boss in Reggie Perrin

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boopy:
I am loving the series and suggest that the Archdeacon is a direct descendant of Archdeacon Grantley in the 1981 TV version of Barchester Towers (who played him - was it Nigel Hawthorne?). Anyway, the Archdeacon in Rev seemed to have modelled many of the same mannerisms and basic character traits.

He certainly has many of the traits of Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister. Nigel Hawthorne would have been superb (but this guy is pretty good).

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
HTB: http://www.htb.org.uk/focus

Thanks. I assume this church has a reputation for being like the St James' bunch. Are they that bad in RL or is it just a bit of satire?

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda:
Also scary - 'we do take all major credit cards!' right at the beginning of the service...

I've definitely encountered that (though not in an Anglican service, and certainly not in connection with HTB). The speech included "overwhelm us with your giving ... Don't worry if you've come out without your chequebook or the Lord prompts you to give more than you have on you, we've got direct debit forms available".

[ 07. July 2010, 14:34: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The second episode was very much a good development of the first. Great laughs and yet pretty believable.

The archdeacon is still the star, though:

"Play nicely, children"

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm enjoying it. And laughed out loud several times with this Monday's episode. The way the trendy evos shoehorned the white settees and the horrible big screens into the tradition church building was a hoot. (I so hate those screens!) The change of tack from the Arch Deacon was very faith enhancing.

The second episode showed some variation in form from the first but the scenes in the Arch Deacon's taxi (I'm assuming it's a taxi), with poor Rev being thrown out wherever the AD finds convenient, is a good running gag.

A wee gem in the BBC schedules.

J

(Edited for general incompetence.)

[ 07. July 2010, 19:14: Message edited by: dorothea ]

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just watched both episodes on iPlayer. I am looking forward to the next episode.

The St. James crowd resembles my nightmares!

I'd like to think that HTB is not that bad, although I have heard of "churches" that are [Eek!]

[ 07. July 2010, 19:55: Message edited by: Lord Pontivillian ]

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

When he snaps on his leather gloves, mmmmmm! He can come collect my parish share any day.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am wondering if we will get to see it again as training material when we get to vicar factory!
Jante

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jante:
Am wondering if we will get to see it again as training material when we get to vicar factory!
Jante

DVD goes on sale on 25 October...
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just discovered (by accident when channel surfing) that it is repeated tonight BBC2, probably 10pm (I caught a bit of it about 10.20) - this was Monday's episode.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
quote:

From my experience, Archdeacons are "middle management", the ones that deal with day to day practical problems, so in a sense it is like being sent to see the headmaster which is one step down from being interviewed by the police.

From the Church English Dictionary:

Archdeacon (n) The crook at the head of the bishop's staff.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I mean, does Adam go along with all that pointless driving around in taxis because he has to - i.e. saying no and standing up to the Arch Deacon would get him spent to the headmaster's office, or does he go along with it because he is displaying a certain timidity of character?

In the CofE (to put it crudely) Archdeacon = Bishop's Enforcer. Usually 2 or 3 per diocese with defined geographical areas. Bishop sets policy, Archdeacon has to make it happen. They have to deal with the nitty-gritty of making the church work. Money, staffing, etc. In my experience they are the most managerial of clergy. This is not, in my book, a bad thing.

And I agree with everyone who says the the AD in Rev is the star character. (Although I'm enjoying the whole thing.)

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Posts: 745 | From: Bath, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
Originally posted by Panda:
Also scary - 'we do take all major credit cards!' right at the beginning of the service...

I've definitely encountered that (though not in an Anglican service, and certainly not in connection with HTB). The speech included "overwhelm us with your giving ... Don't worry if you've come out without your chequebook or the Lord prompts you to give more than you have on you, we've got direct debit forms available".
I see that kind of attitude as one of the signs of a 'temple-merchant' attitude and one that I would run a mile from. When a church has direct debit forms on the seats or hands them out alarm bells should ring in the heads of all right-thinking Christians. I walked out of an evangelical Church my brother took me to in Wolverhampton when they started promoting and trying to sell their 'products' as one of the main points of the service (meaning the church's books and DVDs on a prominent table by the door). It is one of the things that really makes me angry when a so-called church uses the name of Jesus just to make money.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
I see that kind of attitude as one of the signs of a 'temple-merchant' attitude and one that I would run a mile from. When a church has direct debit forms on the seats or hands them out alarm bells should ring in the heads of all right-thinking Christians. I walked out of an evangelical Church my brother took me to in Wolverhampton when they started promoting and trying to sell their 'products' as one of the main points of the service (meaning the church's books and DVDs on a prominent table by the door). It is one of the things that really makes me angry when a so-called church uses the name of Jesus just to make money.

I always remember reading some time ago, something to the effect that: "look at the lifestyle of the vicar. If he drives a bigger car, or lives in a more luxurious style than the poorest of his congregation, then run a mile"

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I wonder what suitable comparisons might be. Cardinal Ratzinger to Pope JPII, perhaps, or Norman Tebbitt (as depicted by Spitting Image) to Margaret Thatcher?

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I always remember reading some time ago, something to the effect that: "look at the lifestyle of the vicar. If he drives a bigger car, or lives in a more luxurious style than the poorest of his congregation, then run a mile"

Hmmmm. Isn't that all vicars almost by definition? They get vicarages which mean that they are living better than all the people in their congregation in flats? If they have a car (which I'd hope most vicars could have if needed) then they're better off than all those without cars etc etc. Certainly our vicar has an amazing house and garden, supports lots of kids and lives in a way I could never expect to live in!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Unless every parish priest is expected to live in conditions like a shanty-town dweller in Kolkata or Rio de Janeiro, that is an impossible expectation. Even then, if s/he has a 'house' of whatever sort it will be better than the Big Issue sellers get.

The kitchen fittings in the 'Rev.''s house are typical of the crappiest, cheapest-available-20-years-ago, equipment installed by diocesan parsonages boards up and down the country. In poor inner-city parishes that, and the size of the house, might still put the vicar in a 'superior' category. But in average, and affluent, parishes, s/he will inevitably be a laughing-stock or an object of pity.

Either clergy pay and conditions vary according to the relative prosperity of their parish, or they are given enough money and a moderate living standard to allow them to do their job wherever they are. The fact that Adam might have a 'nicer' (pause for hollow laugh) house than the majority of his parishioners (what about the Tory MP?) is balanced by the fact that he has virtually no privacy and is on call 24/7.

Sorry for the purgatorial diversion!

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enjoyed very much in our household, mostly made sense to me because of all the time I spend reading Eccles ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Delayed watching the episode from the blurb and comments here. [General vibes of shows up anyone whos ever done alpha, or whatever]

Not as bad as I expected, though still took a day to consider portrayal. It seemed a bit unfair, the equivalent of having the previous +Durham in every scene declaring a disbelief in God (instead of saying one issue was sometimes a bit difficult to believe), did anyone else notice the nearly direct Spring Harvest Reference?

But at the same time (especially after reflection) could see where all the elements might have come from, if you squeezed years and regions into a single 1.2 hour [/day/week]. Now I know how churchschool parents feel (despite not being a minister or solely evangelical)

[Would be interesting as a special to see the camera follow someone else (anyone would make good TV really), I expect it will jump the shark fairly soon, but while it lasts...it's ok]

[ 08. July 2010, 19:36: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Andromeda
Shipmate
# 11304

- Posted      Profile for Andromeda   Email Andromeda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved the latest episode. It was a much faster pace than the first and made me laugh all too knowingly. I did think the evangelicals were portrayed a bit too villainously and that did spoil it a little. Otherwise - it was great.
I actually think it's quite amazing to see such a positive portrayal of people of faith.

--------------------
In this world you’ll have trouble. But cheer up! I have overcome the world.

Posts: 57 | From: South Wales | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I agree that the evo takeover was caricatured, and it wouldn't happen just like that (I hope!). But the characterisation was pretty accurate, and some of the lines - 'I've written off this dying church and I'll take my money elsewhere' - or his patronising approach to the 'vicar's wife' - were spot on.

"Be my friend, Adam ... Be God's friend" [with arms raised and outstretched crucifixion-stylee]

Oh, yes! BINGO! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I guess the point has been made about 'Darren', and the plot will move on to other targets. But I hope we haven't seen the last of this nemesis to Adam. The actor Darren Boyd is becoming almost as ubiquitous-in-a-good-way as Olivia Colman, so he was bound to show up alongside her sooner or later. When someone gets around to making 'The Life of Monty Python', he should be a shoo-in to play John Cleese.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

quote:
Originally posted by kankucho:
Olivia Colman

[Axe murder]

(Am I the only one who finds her absolutely jaw-droppingly attractive, not just in Rev, but in most roles she has played?)

--------------------

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
It is St Leonard's, Shoreditch according to a newspaper report I read about the series.

Quite correct. [Smile]

The familiarity was bugging me until I found this. I've passed by there many times.

[ 09. July 2010, 13:29: Message edited by: kankucho ]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kankucho:
Olivia Colman

[Axe murder]

(Am I the only one who finds her absolutely jaw-droppingly attractive, not just in Rev, but in most roles she has played?)

It's certainly not universal, it must be said.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And while we're with the HTB references, Nicky G's wife is called ummm....
quote:
We may well prosecute.... Pip is a vital part of our congregation

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
And while we're with the HTB references, Nicky G's wife is called ummm....
quote:
We may well prosecute.... Pip is a vital part of our congregation

No shit! [Killing me] [Killing me]
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a coincidence! [Biased]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*Drool*

I so hope it's shown here, but I don't like my chances, TVNZ basically buys crap US sitcoms, and the only UKTV that gets to air is third rate. Anything religious - or Christian, will be a cynical exposé of alleged moral or fiscal bankruptcy or, ebbing tide of faith, or at a push, the later series of Dibley.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another cracker. I love the way they are slightly emphasizing features of the characters, not wildly overdoing them ( as so often in Dibley ), but just gently, and so very true-to-life.

Adam is a very honest and realistic urban vicar. Mrs Vicar is a very realistic working vicars wife, and trying to live both parts of the life. And the engagement with the very difficult issue of clerical sex I thought was really well addressed - and I am sure that there are clergy couples who are "interrupted" by parish needs.

The Archdeacon is a very political character, which is accurate, as they are often political people ( I don't mean this in a negative way - his role is to manage the politics between the hierarchy and the clergy ).

Darren was a stereotype of all sorts of wild clergy. Everything in what he did was something that such clergy have done - the sofas, the screens, the money grabbing attitude. He did remind me of Nicky Gumbel in his smarmy smile, but that is not HTB, who do have a lively style of worship but not including a rapper. I thought the whole portrayal was excellent of those churches and clergy who feel that money and success is the measure of divine acceptance - and NOS probably epitomised this in the worst way ( although I never went ).

And the gentle way of exploring faith in difficult and challenging circumstances is awesome. It was introduced as a drama, which was interesting, but that probably covers it better than comedy or sitcom, even though it is humourous.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even though I am in North America I have watching it [cough] as the episodes are posted on the internet [cough] and will definitely buy it if it comes out on DVD and send it to a few friends.

It's so much like my parish it's scary. From the abysmal attendance, to the financial woes, to the crazy parents trying to get their kids into our school. It could easily be set in New York. We have the same cast of characters.

Some of the story lines are a bit predictable but it doesn't take away from the humour. I hope it shows up on mainstream TV here.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

On now..
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
quote:

Thanks. [Smile]
Keep in mind that a British DVD uses the PAL TV system and is in Region 2. Canada and the US use the NTSC TV system and are in Region 1. That DVD won't play on a regular Canadian DVD player.

You'd have to buy a "hacked" DVD player capable of converting PAL to NTSC, or try it on your computer. But most computer DVD drives are Region locked too nowadays.

They don't make it easy.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
quote:

Thanks. [Smile]
Keep in mind that a British DVD uses the PAL TV system and is in Region 2. Canada and the US use the NTSC TV system and are in Region 1. That DVD won't play on a regular Canadian DVD player.

You'd have to buy a "hacked" DVD player capable of converting PAL to NTSC, or try it on your computer. But most computer DVD drives are Region locked too nowadays.

They don't make it easy.

Not quite. The disc is encoded as MPEG-2, the player handles format conversion. Just get a noname player and lock it to Region 2... job done.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016