homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: What did you think of REV? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: What did you think of REV?
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most players in North America don't do format conversion (PAL is 625 lines at 25 fps and NTSC is 525 lines at 30 fps). Playing a PAL DVD in North America merely gives you an error saying that they are unplayable. In other parts of the world it's different.

Here you'd have to buy a special "region free, code free" player, like this: Amazon: NEW JVC XVBP11 All Multi Region Code Free DVD BLU RAY Player. Plays all region DVD 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 PAL or NTSC and Zone A Blu Rays.

I have a collection of DVDs I have bought in the UK, New Zealand and Australia and had to some research before I was able to play them here.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In general, it is easier for consumers in PAL countries to view NTSC DVDs than vice versa. Almost all DVD players sold in PAL countries play both kinds of discs, and most modern PAL TVs can handle the converted signal. However, most NTSC players can't play PAL discs, and most NTSC TVs don't work with PAL video. Those in NTSC countries, such as in North America, generally require both a multi-standard player and television to view PAL discs, or a converter box. There are also differences in pixel aspect ratio (720x480 vs. 720x576), display frame rate (29.97 vs. 25), and surround audio options (Dolby Digital vs. MPEG audio). Again, NTSC discs (with Dolby Digital audio) play on over 95% of DVD systems worldwide, while PAL discs play on very few players outside of PAL countries.
Source: PAL/SECAM vs. NTSC

You guys have it much easier than we do.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Little things please me. Like the way the Archdeacon pours his tea into the bucket for the leaks from the roof, and his coffee straight down the vicarage sink.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Little things please me. Like the way the Archdeacon pours his tea into the bucket for the leaks from the roof, and his coffee straight down the vicarage sink.

After he said, "Thank you"... [Big Grin]

And the REV telling the man not to wear a niquab!!!

And what about that teacher seeing a naked previous pupil?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
Most players in North America don't do format conversion (PAL is 625 lines at 25 fps and NTSC is 525 lines at 30 fps). Playing a PAL DVD in North America merely gives you an error saying that they are unplayable. In other parts of the world it's different.

Here you'd have to buy a special "region free, code free" player, like this: Amazon: NEW JVC XVBP11 All Multi Region Code Free DVD BLU RAY Player. Plays all region DVD 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 PAL or NTSC and Zone A Blu Rays.

I must have missed that episode.

Back to tonight's.

The Archdeacon knows a "men's day spa on Bond Street". [Biased]

I like him more and more.

And as for letting the Koran group use the church:

"Will they pay?"

"Yes."

"Fine. Good. Get as much off them as you can. In my experience muslims like men in cassocks. They can relate."
[Big Grin]

But, no cab tonight. Is he economising?

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this series is getting funnier by the episode. And I really like the way they get in serious points, too, like interfaith relations etc. It's fairly unusual for the media to portray Muslims as normal people (at least that's the impression I get), so I thought this was fabulous. Still loving Colin & the Archdeacon.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Son of a preacherman
Shipmate
# 4181

- Posted      Profile for Son of a preacherman   Email Son of a preacherman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On your knees... avoid the fees!
Posts: 168 | From: Sussex by the Sea | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't help smiling because there is a real life strip club opposite the real life church (St Leonard's) which they used for Rev.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last two gags were visible a mile off but still very enjoyable.

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andromeda
Shipmate
# 11304

- Posted      Profile for Andromeda   Email Andromeda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved it yet again. I really hope this series is not just a one-off [Frown]

--------------------
In this world you’ll have trouble. But cheer up! I have overcome the world.

Posts: 57 | From: South Wales | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a certain degree of predictability in some of the plot lines, but the real humour is not in the plots, it is in the way that Adam and others handle the plots.

And I think there are some real lessons about how we as Christians handle the issues that are raised - without ignoring them or just joking about them. Real depth.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
There is a certain degree of predictability in some of the plot lines.

I dunno ... In the second episode I predicted that someone would catch Adam chasing after an apparent prostitute, and in Monday's episode I thought he was being set up for a honeytrap at the strip club when the owner offered him free champagne. I didn't see the actual endings coming ...

[ 13. July 2010, 22:01: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One gag they missed, which I would have loved to see in episode 3, would have been cheesey Darren enjoying himself in the background of the stripclub. Not pointed out, no dialogue, but just there as the camera briefly panned across.
Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
There is a certain degree of predictability in some of the plot lines.

I dunno ... In the second episode I predicted that someone would catch Adam chasing after an apparent prostitute, and in Monday's episode I thought he was being set up for a honeytrap at the strip club when the owner offered him free champagne. I didn't see the actual endings coming ...
I was also expecting both these things to happen. There's a definite predictability in some of the scenarios, but the resolutions are not always as obvious.

I'm quite enjoying the series.

Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not too obvious in itself, just the couple of visual gags at the end of this week's episode. I think the approach to Christian faith is delightful and long overdue.

J

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a little bit disappointed with the latest episode. Adam was a playing the embarassed fumbling vicar schtick a little to closely IMO. I would like to see him develop more confidence as the series goes on. He's just so much the 'fish-out-of-water' at the moment that I suspect it may become somewhat wearing if his character doesn't develop in the next few weeks. Perhaps its just his character's reaction to the sexual storyline - he seemed more confident when standing up to Darren last week.

Also the episode didn't seem to be going anywhere. It just seemed to be half an hour of watching Adam squirm.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
rugbyplayingpriest
Shipmate
# 9809

- Posted      Profile for rugbyplayingpriest   Author's homepage   Email rugbyplayingpriest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My questions are these:

1) why does he dress like a tramp when his wife has a good wage?

2) why could they not have put at least forty in the pews...four just sells a REALLY dismall image of the church to society and is not accurate IMO

3) Why did they have to give us predictable political bious and not make it more interesting? ie..nasty evo, nice muslim, pro women and gays, yawn, yawn lefty yawn!

Overall it is watchable and it does touch on truths but overall the reality is downplayed and the sense of a dying and pointless institution comes accross

Posts: 130 | From: Kent | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I listed all the men I knew who did that... [Razz]

quote:
2) why could they not have put at least forty in the pews...four just sells a REALLY dismall image of the church to society and is not accurate IMO

3) Why did they have to give us predictable political bious and not make it more interesting? ie..nasty evo, nice muslim, pro women and gays, yawn, yawn lefty yawn!

No sitcom about Christianity in the UK is going to stray far outside a particular comfort zone....the church concerned will never be too lively, Muslim characters will invariably be delightful and evo characters will always be annoying, because this is How Things Are and What Is Acceptable....and about half the time it actually is how things are, so I guess you can't complain too much. And it least it actually sounds funny.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rugbyplayingpriest:
My questions are these:

Overall it is watchable and it does touch on truths but overall the reality is downplayed and the sense of a dying and pointless institution comes accross

1. I thought he was just a bit scruffy. Bit like most 30 something men I know, including my husband. [Biased] Perhaps he doesn't want to be subsidised by her?

2. I agree 4 is a bit dismal, I think they're exaggerating for cominc effect. But I'm not at all fussed about the image it's presenting to the public at large - so far I think it's the truest depiction of the church I've seen, and I'm glad it's not trying to advertise or put across a good image of the church. It looks struggling to find its way and what it's supposed to be doing, not dying.

3. Bias, what bias? [Biased] Admittedly the nasty evos were painted with broad strokes, and I suspect I liked that episode in particular because it appealed to my own prejudices, and resonated all too painfully with my own experiences. But the prickliness and mutual incomprehension between the "2 sides" are pretty real in my experience, which I'm sure is more limited than most here.

There have only been 3 episodes so far, let's see what happens with the latter half of the series....

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

The scary thing is that there are a lot of U.S. megachurches that resemble the evos, complete with smoothie bars.

[ 14. July 2010, 12:58: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am still enjoying it but I think the latest episode wasn't the best.

Also, did you notice that whilst last week he stood up to Evo Darren about too much certainty being a bad thing, this week he admired the moral certainty of the Muslims and tried to emulate it?

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But haven't we all been inconsistent at times?

[ 14. July 2010, 13:37: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wilson:
Also, did you notice that whilst last week he stood up to Evo Darren about too much certainty being a bad thing, this week he admired the moral certainty of the Muslims and tried to emulate it?

Yes, but it made him look an idiot, which I think was the point.

i.e. The reason he squirmed so much when talking to the Muslim woman (Faiza?) was because he was desperate to be tolerant and not give offence. (And did anyone else think she was a bit self-righteous?) And he made a nit of himself over the strip-club because he wanted to be like the Muslims.

The Archdeacon (to my mind) was actually much more laid-back and sensible - he just wanted money from them, and correctly called out Adam for trying to play the hero. A truly complex character ...

ETA: in that sense, it wasn't all that "politically correct" - part of it was sending up Adam's PC attitudes.

[ 14. July 2010, 13:57: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rugbyplayingpriest:

There were about forty when the 'on your knees, avoid the fees' parents turned up. Since then there have been few if any shots of the congregation at worship and though the impression is obviously given of a small and struggling congregation it's not exactly screaming at us 'look - only four!' And I do know churches with such tiny congregations. Perhaps Adam's predecessor took 100 or so over the Tiber with him. He's only new in the parish: give him a chance!

What the series does show is that vicars work hard for their living, and that the church is far from irrelevant in such an inner-city community.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wilson:
I am still enjoying it but I think the latest episode wasn't the best.

I think you have to distinguish between Darren's theologically triumphalist certainty and the more secular moral certainty Smallbone was expressing about the club, and as Ricardus said, he was really just squirming around trying to look tolerant towards Muslims. He also has real, very public struggles (we all hear his prayers) to make sense of everything, arguing himself round in circles, so his internal conflicts aren't news. As I read the character, he probably feels happy enough saying that Darren's too certain (probably meaning too arrogant) because he knows that it isn't really like that, at least for him and probably most people he knows, but he doesn't have the same (realistic? jaded?) view of Islam.

I reckon he's got a sort of woolly sympathy for Muslims out of a sort of vague post-colonial guilt combined with oversensitive racism squeams, less knowledge of Islam, less direct experience of it, a fascination with the apparent quiet, firm simplicity of others' faith (the further away you are, the harder it is to see the legs paddling furiously under the water), and most importantly no painful memories of the practical difficulty of applying their principles to real life, which he has in spades for Christianity.

But even if he is inconsistent (I don't think that's the case, but it might not be a total surprise, given that much of the storyline is apparently taken from true stories from clergy of all stripes), I still find him the most "real" character I've seen on TV in many years. Maybe that's because he's allowed to be, whereas any other series would have had him snapped leaving the club looking rather tipsy, and spending the next half hour trying to explain away the local scandal rag's front page splash "Randy Ratarsed Rev"

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't mean totally predictable - like Dibley became - just that the main stay of the drama and the comedy is not in the core plot. It is in the reactions and interactions with the plot. IMO.

And to me the classic line from this week was the woman who had a problem with pedophiles. As long as Adam could make a link to pedophiles, she was against it, whatever it was.

Brilliant and true.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
But even if he is inconsistent (I don't think that's the case, but it might not be a total surprise, given that much of the storyline is apparently taken from true stories from clergy of all stripes), I still find him the most "real" character I've seen on TV in many years.

I think it's this form of unthinking inconsistency that makes him real and I like that he's real. I just think it's interesting how this sort of thing happens. It's easier to forgive/overcome the hard teachings or rough edges of a less familiar faith than a version of our own. It also helps if feel like you've hit on an issue you can be more certain about.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the Hearse being removed was the best part of episode 3. It was a nice opener. Compared to previous episodes this one wasn't as good, IMO.

The Archdeacon continues to be the star of the show.

[ 14. July 2010, 19:31: Message edited by: Lord Pontivillian ]

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lola

Ship's kink
# 627

- Posted      Profile for Lola     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did think the hearse gag was good, but I thought the best part of the episode was Colin pleading with Adam to be allowed to carry on sleeping in the church because he had "such nice dreams". It wasn't played for laughs - just showing what feeling loved and accepted can do for someone on the margins of society.
Posts: 951 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a moment of enlightenment during tonight's repeat of ep 3.

The Archdeacon is Simon McBurney -- who surely landed this gig on the strength of his portrayal of Foreign Office attache Stone in The Last King Of Scotland. The characters are so similar - constantly materialising from nowhere to offer sage advice in rather petulant manner. A couple of minor roles he had in The Vicar Of Dibley would be purely incidental.

[Edited out the cat's auxiliary typing]

[ 14. July 2010, 22:08: Message edited by: kankucho ]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny Diction 2:
I was saying to my wife last night that I was sure the actor playing the Archdeacon was the same chap who played the organist / choir master in the Vicar of Dibley. And I was right! Simon McBurney

Just spotted this since making that last post. It wasn't intentionally a comment on Benny's point; but I rest my case all the same. [Smile]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I watched again tonight, and will not bother again. Basically, it is not an entertaining programme. Not witty, not engaging, very obvious.
I am not a Vicar of Dibley fan, but it is at least amusing.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am enjoying it, though I have a nagging feeling it could be so much better than it is. However, the fact that I found myself conducting an imaginary discussion with him about the 'more a show than a sacrament' remark shows that I do find him a credible character.

Just realised where I know Nigel from - he was Archie from Balamory!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Archdeacon is Simon McBurney -- who surely landed this gig on the strength of his portrayal of Foreign Office attache Stone in The Last King Of Scotland. The characters are so similar - constantly materialising from nowhere to offer sage advice in rather petulant manner. A couple of minor roles he had in The Vicar Of Dibley would be purely incidental.

Though he is also becoming typecase as an Evil Priest (see 'The Golden Compass' and the new 'Robin Hood' movie).
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find the Rev character extremely convincing. He's inconsistent and uncertain; which is how faith is for a lot of people - muddling through. I also like the way he holds Being and Doing in tension; the constant wavering between seeing the value of presence, and wondering if he should be getting on with being busy.

The bit I've liked best so far is his refusal to ban Colin 'because Colin matters only to God'. I love his acceptance of Colin, Nigel, Adoha etc even at the times when he finds them personally maddening. And, even when he doesn't agree with people, he tries to listen and attend. He doesn't always get it right but it's an orientation he seems to aim for. That orientation towards listening and careful attention seems to be a common thread in all the good clergy I've ever met. Adam comes across as quite 'formed' as a clergyperson to me. By which I mean not getting things right all the time, but reflective about what is going on and attentive to the inherent difficulties within the role. And he tries to see more than the surface of people and things.

Posts: 1170 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like a lot of what this show is trying to do - a new Vicar in a very different parish trying to find his place and to understand his sense of vocation. However, a lot of it still feels very hit and miss.

The first episode had a lot of good things going for it and I particularly liked the way the Vicar dealt with the moral question at the centre of that episode. It felt genuinely like a Vicar at a new church trying to establish himself in a new, very different place and struggling with his role.

The second felt like it was setting up a bit of a straw man with Darren, who felt more like a parody than an actual person. Yes, the whole more "show than sacrament" line was good, but I thought it didn't really examine the evos in any real depth (I'm kind of waiting for their take on Charismatics like me with a "hands down for coffee gag" or something similar). Against that, it was easy for Smallbone to come across as more human and felt like lazy writing.

The third episode just plain didn't work and came across as very politically correct (I thought that the Muslim characters also came across as very two dimensional, though did I see Alex's friend drinking a glass of wine at the end?). Smallbone also looked like he was carrying the idiot ball in going to the strip club with the pretty headteacher - that just felt like it was forced by the plot rather than naturally in character. I did smile at the gag at the end when the bus moved out of the way.

All in all, despite it's faults I do think the series has potential. A lot of things do ring true, particularly the Vicar's internal prayer life and his relationship with his life (they do seem like a real couple). The other characters also have their strengths: the Archdeacon is the ensemble darkhorse; Nigel is well-meaning but socially awkward; while Colin comes across as both very flawed and human while genuinely searching for God (even if the plots seem to keep using him as a way to resolve some convoluted issues). However, it also does not feel like the church has its own character as of yet either.

Once the series has found its own voice it could be something special, but we might have to wait until the second series.

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I really enjoyed was when Adam came home to find his wife and the muslim woman laughing together in the kitchen. How appropriate that they should become close friends.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recognised the Archdeacon as soon as he appeared. He is Fra Pavel of the Magisterium, he hasn't even changed his clothes.

As iPlayer doesn't work when your broadband speeds are similar to dial up [Mad] I have only seen a very juddery episode 1 and none of episode 2. But episode 3 was great when it was broadcast.
Thing is no TV yet in the new curatage....

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Managed to catch up with the last two episodes last night on the iplayer.

Two things I noticed that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

- the liturgy and vestments and general conduct of the church services are real. That's how real Anglicans really behave in church. I found myself almost automatically making the responses. I never got that from The Vicar of Dibley or the scenes set in church in other soap operas or dramas. (Even the great Cracker got church life wrong - as does The Archers, though its not so bad)

- the congregation look like real people in our congregation. I mean they are caricatures or comic parodies of course, but they are caricatures of the kind of people who actually go to church in London. Even Colin. We don't have a Colin in our congregation, but we have three or four people who could be combined in to him. Including the booze at the back of the church and threatening to beat people up for you.

Like others said its not uproariously funny - more light-hearted affectionate parody than either drama or slapstick. And the embarrassment factor is high. The "evangelicals" were pretty unrealistic, but it was obvious what kind of Christian they were getting at. I could hardly bear to look at the screen. Same goes for the lap-dancing club.

Maybe its not so much The Office transmogrified into the Church of England as The Royle Family. You recognise it and sometimes you wish you didn't.

The head-teacher got pretty decisively slapped down by her ex-pupil didn't she? "You said I'd never amount to anything?"

quote:

"O 'Melia, my dear, this does everything crown!
Who could have supposed I should meet you in Town?
And whence such fair garments, such prosperi-ty?"
"O didn't you know I'd been ruined?" said she.

"You left us in tatters, without shoes or socks,
Tired of digging potatoes, and spudding up docks;
And now you've gay bracelets and bright feathers three!"
"Yes: that's how we dress when we're ruined," said she.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
... Just realised where I know Nigel from - he was Archie from Balamory!

Of course! He's very similar in character, I find.

Does Adam dress like a tramp? We've only seen him in a clerical shirt or cassock (39-button, mind!) so far. Some of my other half's clerical shirts are getting a bit faded - perhaps those ones need culling.

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm becoming fond of Adam.
When I see him all stubby and vulnerable in his cassock I get all maternal!
What a David he is against various recognisable modern Goliaths.
Any laughs are a bonus.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda:
Some of my other half's clerical shirts are getting a bit faded - perhaps those ones need culling.

An ordained friend swears by washing them with black dye every so often.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no problems with the lack of laughs. I just think it is pointless. Neither a Comedy or a Drama. And not particularly interesting.
I will not bothe watching again.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda:

Does Adam dress like a tramp?

It's that oversized jumble-sale overcoat that does it. But he needs to be a contrast with the Savile Row tastes of the Archdeacon.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Weeder:
I have no problems with the lack of laughs. I just think it is pointless. Neither a Comedy or a Drama. And not particularly interesting.
I will not bothe watching again.

Well it makes me think, 'What should a priest do in that situation?' and 'What would I do in that situation, if it were my church?' - both valuable questions, I think.

After watching this week's REV, I opened the church times and saw that a church in Oxford had been objecting to a lap dancing club opening near the church. So certainly a topical subject. Perhaps it all depends on context - the vicar of Soho would have a different answer to the question than the vicar of Budleigh Salterton.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

Yes, Chorister, but is it entertaining? I think not. I will be suprised if it gets a second series.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

I think you're in a minority there, Weeder. Chacun à son goût.

--------------------

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is 'one' a minority, or a singularity?

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
- the liturgy and vestments and general conduct of the church services are real. That's how real Anglicans really behave in church. I found myself almost automatically making the responses. I never got that from The Vicar of Dibley or the scenes set in church in other soap operas or dramas. (Even the great Cracker got church life wrong - as does The Archers, though its not so bad)

Yup, me too - I accidently joined in with Morning Prayer in one episode, earning very odd looks from my boyfriend. [Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

Yup, me too - I accidently joined in with Morning Prayer in one episode, earning very odd looks from my boyfriend. [Hot and Hormonal]
This was the first thing that really made me pay attention to the show.

The liturgy is smack on accurate. The issues are real issues. The people are real (carictatures, sure, but I recognise them.) Adam is a real vicar. This is a real church. It's so real I assumed the writers must have been CofE regulars. I was very suprised and impressed when I discovered they'd done this through proper research.

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Posts: 745 | From: Bath, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016