homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: What did you think of REV? (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: What did you think of REV?
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Parish Share is calculated annually. In this diocese we're encouraged to pay by monthly instalments, so it can be a monthly charge.

A parish priest is given cure of all the souls in his (geographical) parish on behalf of the bishop at his induction. Any reason for him to leave that cure before his time of tenure is completed, or often when the time of tenure is up, can be seen as a betrayal of the parish.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lola

Ship's kink
# 627

- Posted      Profile for Lola     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loneliness seems to be a strong motif for the whole series.
Posts: 951 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wilson:

OK Question: is 'Pope-ing' generally felt to be such a betrayal? It seemed like there was a terrible sense of hurt and anger there.

That's something I didn't get. In the Diocese of London, (and especially in the East End) very few people would turn a hair at the use of a thurible.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My assumption was that there had been much bitterness over the previous incumbent's swimming of the Tiber (taking some of the congregation with him?), which made the issue a hot potato in the parish. Otherwise, I agree, there seemed to be some strong reactions about a matter that in most places would not have seemed particularly important (especially at a wedding, where much odder things than a bit of incense can happen).

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does depend on where you are. We have occasional incense - as in planned four times a year for major feasts - and it's a bone of contention each and every time.

The Church of England is a broad church, so within a parish (outside the major cities) you can have people who are comfortable marking saints' days, incense, benediction, candles, full liturgy and vestments and also people who see all of that as unnecessary barriers to reaching to God and Jesus as the Bible is The Way™ and anything else gets in the way if not unnecessary Popish nonsense. We do within the parish I attend.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Originally posted by wilson:

OK Question: is 'Pope-ing' generally felt to be such a betrayal? It seemed like there was a terrible sense of hurt and anger there.

That's something I didn't get. In the Diocese of London, (and especially in the East End) very few people would turn a hair at the use of a thurible.
That was the only bit that didn't ring true. Though it might if the parish had originally been evangelical and was 'spiked up' by the previous vicar. There might have been some resentment around about that, and relief that Adam was toning things down somewhat.

Despite the generally accurate liturgical details in the series Adam was decidedly underdressed, not overdressed, for a nuptial mass in cotta and stole.

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
It does depend on where you are. We have occasional incense - as in planned four times a year for major feasts - and it's a bone of contention each and every time.

Indeed. I know one priest (not in this diocese) who likes a bit of incense, but if he wants it in a service he has to announce it several weeks beforehand in the Parish Magazine so that certain of his congregation know to stay away ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved it last night - Nigel not the AD for once stole the show for me this time ("Abramovich", "I've left that [Simon Le Bon] immaturity behind: now I'm Desmond Tutu", and his attempted covert use of the thurible).

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

Indeed. I know one priest (not in this diocese) who likes a bit of incense, but if he wants it in a service he has to announce it several weeks beforehand in the Parish Magazine so that certain of his congregation know to stay away ...
And there is hell to pay if anyone forgets, people storming out and lots of excitement. I've seen it happen in more than one church. The one that had more repercussions was the priest covering in the interregnum using incense for Epiphany, and the churchwarden storming out in high dudgeon into the arms of the new incumbent sneaking late into the back of the church for a quiet service.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They use lashings, and I mean lashings, of incense at a liberal catholic parish near me. The rest of it is pretty 'catholic-lite' as the priest there likes to call it.

What both amuses and irritates me is that the local evangelical parish thinks of them as both dangerously liberal and dangerously catholic whilst they, for their part, think of the evangelicals as tantamount to a bunch of Appallachian snake-handlers ...

[Roll Eyes]

The CofE is broad, but it can equally be pretty polarised at times.

I didn't think last night's was as funny as previous episodes but still worth a watch.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

I didn't think last night's was as funny as previous episodes

True but it was very good!

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a little sad at the end of last night's story. I still enjoyed it, and it had some very funny moments, but I was left feeling vaguely melancholy.
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
...then I started to think about the fact that Adam and Alex don't have children, and I was suddenly struck by the similarities with the Tom and Barbara in the Good Life -- couples who aren't in the first flush of marriage who are still quite couple-y and where all the humour in the marriage centres around their romantic/sexual life.
It's true that it they had children it would turn into a family sitcom, and Rev is obviously not that. It's just that when you combine it with the lack of backstory for Adam and Alex the whole situation begins to seem a bit peculiar

Well, we've now had a bit of back-story - at least a bit of Alex's - and we know why they don't have children.
Can't be many more episodes to come - I do hope they do another series, I will miss them.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
I loved it last night - Nigel not the AD for once stole the show for me this time ("Abramovich", "I've left that [Simon Le Bon] immaturity behind: now I'm Desmond Tutu", and his attempted covert use of the thurible).

Nigel has been my favourite character from the start - indeed, my favourite TV role-model since Niles Crane in Frasier.

--------------------

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:

<snip>

Well, we've now had a bit of back-story - at least a bit of Alex's - and we know why they don't have children.

Why don't they have children? Sorry - I missed most of the episode because one of the cats had brought in a mouse and I was trying to get him to take it back into the garden rather than leave it on/in/under the bed!

eta: I'm at work and can't get to an iplayer for a while...

[ 27. July 2010, 10:17: Message edited by: Pine Marten ]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yes, I thought the bit where Adam in his jealousy said 'he could have made you pregnant' (or something like that) was really poignant.

I've grown really fond of this series.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Shipmate
# 2996

- Posted      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
quote:

<snip>

Why don't they have children? Sorry - I missed most of the episode because one of the cats had brought in a mouse and I was trying to get him to take it back into the garden rather than leave it on/in/under the bed!

Yes, I must have missed that as well. Can anyone enlighten us?

--------------------
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is a moron, while anyone driving faster is a maniac? Jerry Seinfeld

Posts: 509 | From: Kent | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
yes, I thought the bit where Adam in his jealousy said 'he could have made you pregnant' (or something like that) was really poignant.

I've grown really fond of this series.

And she replied 'I don't want children' that couple of lines spoke volumes about their story. And I can see why Adam feels insecure and that he had faile dhis wife in some way, even though she is not feeling that way.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
MrsDoyle
Shipmate
# 13579

- Posted      Profile for MrsDoyle   Author's homepage   Email MrsDoyle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A litle late on contributing but here goes.
Our parish share is worked out on the basis of anonymous income surveys; although small (100 registered members) and poor, our share for the last year was calculated at £15,000 plus. To late did we realise that the survey was mostly filled in by the very few affluent members, parishioners of more modest means feeling uncomfortable giving their income even anonymously. We cannot afford it and so are appealing.
On another note (aural variety) , as with all parish churches in the Diocese we have a Health and Safety rep, to her falls the task of putting up notices prior to services with insence for those whose breathing may be adversly effected.

Posts: 343 | From: Manchester.England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just me or was Adam's fantasising about beiing all spiky and rc quite similar to Galadriel's response when Frodo offered her Sauron's ring? Or Smeagol, come to think of it?

In effect, The Thurible Of Power?

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
Is it just me or was Adam's fantasising about beiing all spiky and rc quite similar to Galadriel's response when Frodo offered her Sauron's ring? Or Smeagol, come to think of it?

Good point. He's tempted by the allures of priestcraft - it seems to offer a quick-fix way of ending his problems, realising his dreams and ambitions, manifesting to his desire to "Be someone" and to gain power, prestige and esteem. But he resists. Very well portrayed, I thought. You could see the glimpse of evil in his eye - like the devil's handbag held him for a moment.

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsDoyle:
A litle late on contributing but here goes.
Our parish share is worked out on the basis of anonymous income surveys; although small (100 registered members) and poor, our share for the last year was calculated at £15,000 plus. To late did we realise that the survey was mostly filled in by the very few affluent members, parishioners of more modest means feeling uncomfortable giving their income even anonymously. We cannot afford it and so are appealing.
On another note (aural variety) , as with all parish churches in the Diocese we have a Health and Safety rep, to her falls the task of putting up notices prior to services with insence for those whose breathing may be adversly effected.

What do those whose breathing may be adversly effected do then?

(Sorry about the tangent - I am just interested - as I have asthma but love insence, being a Methodist it has never been an issue [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another great episode I thought.

The Archdeacon still steals the show for me. I loved his sarcastic and slightly menacing "I hear you're thinking of employing a distinctive Latinate form of choreography in your divine theatre" when referring to the use of incense!

[edited for typo]

[ 27. July 2010, 18:19: Message edited by: Saviour Tortoise ]

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Posts: 745 | From: Bath, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the second half of this week's episode was appallingly badly acted - as if they'd run out of time to rehearse properly.
Otherwise, the surprising story lines continue apace - I'm not giving up watching yet!

Favourite part - when Adam's wife goes to visit her parish priest to talk over the fact that her husband is not talking to her. [Cool]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"pope-ing up" would have been a real problem as the previous incumbent had defected. I think in the circumstances, it would have been a very risky to do.

I thought it was an excellent episode again, dealing so well with loneliness, and really addressing the problems of loneliness for a vicar. And also dealing with the facade of friendship - not only Adam with Leon, but also Leon and Alex from years ago, and the fragility of their sexual relationship. And Leon was the loneliest person in the episode.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RadicalWhig:
quote:

Good point. He's tempted by the allures of priestcraft - it seems to offer a quick-fix way of ending his problems, realising his dreams and ambitions, manifesting to his desire to "Be someone" and to gain power, prestige and esteem. But he resists. Very well portrayed, I thought. You could see the glimpse of evil in his eye - like the devil's handbag held him for a moment.
Yes! I thought exactly that when I was watching it - I was half expecting to come out with "all shall love me, and despair!", but the final quip punctured it nicely.

- Chris.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Schroedinger's cat: Your second paragraph is spot on.

But the previous vicar 'defected'??? (I nearly read 'defecated'). Is that an appropriate word to use of someone moving from one part of the Christian church to another (and one which has arguably more claim to represent the tradition)? Purgatorial tangent perhaps, but it seems to betray the same sort of visceral and irrational anti-popery that still persists in the mindsets of otherwise reasonable, liberal and educated Englishmen and women.

[ 27. July 2010, 20:30: Message edited by: Angloid ]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Schroedinger's cat: Your second paragraph is spot on.

But the previous vicar 'defected'??? (I nearly read 'defecated'). Is that an appropriate word to use of someone moving from one part of the Christian church to another

No. But I'm sure it's an accurate way to describe how the (remaining) congregation and the Archdeacon perceive the event. That's why Adam moving up the candle was so "dangerous". If you're in a delicate situation, you don't ruffle things up by reminding people of recent trauma.

That's how I read it, anyway.

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this week's was the best yet. The combination of comedy and poignancy was so good there were some points I could hardly bear to watch, and the thurible episode was hilarious. I also like the way Alex can convey so much by small movements of the eyes which her husband and the viewers can pick up be other people in the scene can't.

Does anyone else see any resemblance to how they would imagine Mark and Sophia Ainger transported to the bleaker present day?

Like them one suspects that childlessness is an elephant.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of two priests who went to Rome fairly recently. In one case there was understanding and sympathy, in the other it was seen as a betrayal.
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
But the previous vicar 'defected'??? (I nearly read 'defecated'). Is that an appropriate word to use of someone moving from one part of the Christian church to another (and one which has arguably more claim to represent the tradition)? Purgatorial tangent perhaps, but it seems to betray the same sort of visceral and irrational anti-popery that still persists in the mindsets of otherwise reasonable, liberal and educated Englishmen and women.

In the Ultra-High, more Popish than the Pope circles I sometimes frequent, "defect" is quite often used in a jocular sense for priests who go to Rome.

[ 27. July 2010, 20:46: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saviour Tortoise:
The Archdeacon still steals the show for me.

This week, drinking Proper Coffee&trade.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RadicalWhig:
quote:

I got the impression that was more for Nigel's benefit (who was obviously happy to be mistaken for 'the other priest' earlier in the episode - warning him of the dangers of any position of power. Nigel seemed to be staring at him open-mouthed at any rate.
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
quote:
The Archdeacon still steals the show for me.

This week, drinking Proper Coffee&trade.
Indeed.

I'm a bit of a coffee snob myself, but I like to think I'm not as openly rude about it as the Archdeacon!

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why don't they have children? Sorry - I missed most of the episode

The conversation went -
Adam: "Thought he was everything I wasn't. Thought he could give you things I couldn't. He only has to look at a woman to get her pregnant."

Alex: "I don't want kids. I've already got one, a great big one, stupid..."
quote:
Originally posted by Panda: I got the impression that was more for Nigel's benefit (who was obviously happy to be mistaken for 'the other priest' earlier in the episode - warning him of the dangers of any position of power. Nigel seemed to be staring at him open-mouthed at any rate.
Oh yes, that was certainly for Nigel's benefit, a warning not to get carried way by the trappings.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thurible power trip was hilarious! And definitely aimed at Nigel - he's the one who fantasises about being called "father". And poignant as well, as its Adam who wants kids.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Archdeacon still steals the show for me. I loved his sarcastic and slightly menacing "I hear you're thinking of employing a distinctive Latinate form of choreography in your divine theatre" when referring to the use of incense!

Yes! I've added that one to my arsenal. [Snigger]

Archdeacon Robert's character develops by the week.

I loved his "Wotcher" when he met Adam near the start of the episode.

Underneath his acid-drop asides lurks a mischievous sense of humour.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Archdeacon Robert for +Southwark. Just the man! (He's got the cross and purple scarf already).

[ 28. July 2010, 08:11: Message edited by: Angloid ]

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. There is something Mervynesque about him. [Biased]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Why don't they have children? Sorry - I missed most of the episode

The conversation went -
Adam: "Thought he was everything I wasn't. Thought he could give you things I couldn't. He only has to look at a woman to get her pregnant."

Alex: "I don't want kids. I've already got one, a great big one, stupid..."

Thanks, Roseofsharon. That's really sad...

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by +Chad:
Yes. There is something Mervynesque about him. [Biased]

I hadn't thought of that, but now you mention it ...

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another one who is thoroughly enjoying the series.

If nothing else, it's given a number of us nice shiny new sigs! [Big Grin]

[ 28. July 2010, 12:15: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My vicar has taken to calling me Nigel [Paranoid] , and asked me today if I'd placed an order yet for clerical shirts and if I've been practising my Latin. I told him that I still remember it all, so don't need to practise! As we were in the open air, I didn't give a rendition though... [Snigger]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

So which Mystery Worshipper slagged off Adam's preaching, causing him to go into a complete tailspin in next week's episode?

And why do I feel that the boundary between reality and fantasy is getting ever thinner?

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
it's given a number of us nice shiny new sigs! [Big Grin]

Indeed.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My first thought when I heard that was it would make a brilliant sig! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
So which Mystery Worshipper slagged off Adam's preaching, causing him to go into a complete tailspin in next week's episode?

I saw the episode summary in the Radio Times and the MW project sprang to mind. I found myself thinking 'What have we done to him?!' [Ultra confused]

There was a silly piece in there saying that maybe it'd benefit from canned laughter or more obvious jokes. Daft idea - one of the joys is the subtlety. The Archdeacon wouldn't be half as good a character if each of his remarks was punctuated by an audience reaction. The quiet simplicity and chance to recognise the familiar is one of its strengths.

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
... why do I feel that the boundary between reality and fantasy is getting ever thinner?

Indeed - yesterday I almost called our very own churchyard resident 'Colin'.

I'm loving it - best programme for ages - compulsive yet occasionally almost unbearable to watch!

A

Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hazey Jane wrote:
quote:
I saw the episode summary in the Radio Times and the MW project sprang to mind. I found myself thinking 'What have we done to him?!' [Ultra confused]

There was a silly piece in there saying that maybe it'd benefit from canned laughter or more obvious jokes. Daft idea - one of the joys is the subtlety. The Archdeacon wouldn't be half as good a character if each of his remarks was punctuated by an audience reaction. The quiet simplicity and chance to recognise the familiar is one of its strengths.

Couldn't agree more.

J

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Caught up on this yesterday. The loneliness scene in the pub really got me...

But birettas are designed for comedy, don't you think? [Two face]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm resisting the urge to make mine

"I've been baptised AND lobotomised"

but I'm resisting manfully [Roll Eyes]

There's a BBC blog/interview with Olivia Coleman from before the series was launched. She said that the original title was 'Handle with Prayer' [Ultra confused] so the change to 'Rev.' was a definite improvement. I did feel quite sad at the end of Monday's episode, with Adam still trying to come to terms with the loneliness of his office.

And why does Adam walk so oddly in a cassock? I know the actor might not be used to it, but he walks like a duck kicking the 'skirt' every time he moves!

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's too long and too heavy (the cassock, I mean).

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016