homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: What did you think of REV? (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: What did you think of REV?
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
And why does Adam walk so oddly in a cassock? I know the actor might not be used to it, but he walks like a duck kicking the 'skirt' every time he moves!

I think it's the way he walks normally rather than just in a cassock. He walked in the same manner when he played Cal in The Thick of It

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Spike:
I think it's the way he walks normally rather than just in a cassock.

Agreed. That's also how he walked in Pride & Prejudice - I was particularly reminded of the scene when he stalked away in a huff after Lizzie turned down his proposal.

[ 29. July 2010, 14:00: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:
I saw the episode summary in the Radio Times and the MW project sprang to mind. I found myself thinking 'What have we done to him?!' [Ultra confused]

There was a silly piece in there saying that maybe it'd benefit from canned laughter or more obvious jokes. Daft idea - one of the joys is the subtlety.

What does she want, 'Last of the summer wine'?

Some of Alison Graham's articles are very good - when she writes on the use of violence against women as 'entertainment', for example, but in this case she is wronger than a wrong thing that's mistaken.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:
There was a silly piece in there saying that maybe it'd benefit from canned laughter or more obvious jokes.

No comedy programs are actually improved by either of these. Canned laughter is always a bad idea.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't say that I've ever consciously noticed the lack of canned laughter, in this or any other programme. But one of the irritating things about Summer Wine is just that.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I can't say that I've ever consciously noticed the lack of canned laughter, in this or any other programme. But one of the irritating things about Summer Wine is just that.

M*A*S*H is a classic series which has been broadcast both with and without the laughter track. The version with is pretty awful!

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Posts: 745 | From: Bath, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Miss Madrigal
Shipmate
# 15528

- Posted      Profile for Miss Madrigal   Email Miss Madrigal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As M*A*S*H was shown in the UK without a laugh track, I was really thrown when I saw it in the US for the first time - it really distracted from the subtlety and quality of the writing and performance. I am glad that we are allowed to approach both in Rev without such a barrier.

Back to the thread ... I may be starting to fall in love, ever so slightly, with the Reverend Smallbone. Watching him fight to follow his calling and his moral compass in the face of the difficulties that beset him and seeing him always trying to do the right and Christ-like thing, makes me wish that I were the one that he'd chosen as his companion rather than Alex. Funnily enough though, my suitors have always had more of the AD about them. Ho hum.

Posts: 79 | From: The Bit In The Middle | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had suspected it for a while, now we have proof.

James Wood, writer of Rev, told us today that Ship of Fools inspired '...the final (and best) episode of Rev next week featuring Adam having a crisis of faith entirely sparked by a bad review of his sermon he gets on an irreverent Christian website we called Godslot!'

[Cool]

[ 01. August 2010, 21:31: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thats cool, Ancient Mariner! [Yipee]

Personally I am developing a soft spot for Nigel, which frankly I find very perturbing! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
James Wood, writer of Rev, told us today that Ship of Fools inspired the '...the final (and best) episode of Rev next week featuring Adam having a crisis of faith entirely sparked by a bad review of his sermon he gets on a irreverent Christian website we called Godslot!'

So now we need life to imitate art by having someone MW a service at St Leonard's, Shoreditch (where the series is filmed). Then we can wake up and discover we are butterflies dreaming we are people, or like the Oozlum bird, fly in ever decreasing circles until we disappear up...

[ 01. August 2010, 21:32: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We had suspected it for a while, now we have proof.

James Wood, writer of Rev, told us today that Ship of Fools inspired the series, to the extent that '...the final (and best) episode of Rev next week features Adam having a crisis of faith entirely sparked by a bad review of his sermon he gets on a irreverent Christian website we called Godslot!'

[Cool]

YES!
[Killing me] [Overused] [Angel]

OK - so that's Radio 2 around Kitschmas... MW for Rev... weren't some shippies on Songs of Praise at some point?

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
perhaps mystery worshipping could expand to other BBC programmes? I'd love to read a report from Ambridge...
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... Walmington-on-Sea ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coronation Street.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
..or East Enders?

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon's blog on Rev here.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is next week the last episode? That seems a short run.
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That makes six episodes. A fairly typical first series I would have thought.

Lets hope there is a series two.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even though it was presented as a comedic faux-pas, the Vicar's description of the Bible was brilliant.

From this side of the pond, the whole association between using a thurible and biretta and going to Rome was rather amusing, given that both are common in my Episcopal Diocese. No one would associate them with necessarily Roman leanings.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angelica37:
perhaps mystery worshipping could expand to other BBC programmes? I'd love to read a report from Ambridge...

Or Dibley?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would be far too obvious, although it could be fun trying to describe a typical Dibley service in suitably measured MW tones. The choirmaster (before he took holy orders and ended up in London Diocese, of course) would certainly be marked down as a "distraction".

There must be many church services described in literature which would make interesting subjects for MW reports ... How would one mark the Rector's preaching in "Lark Rise to Candleford", for instance? I can't think of any nonconformist ones, though, except for a dreadful one in "How Green Was My Valley".

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:

From this side of the pond, the whole association between using a thurible and biretta and going to Rome was rather amusing, given that both are common in my Episcopal Diocese. No one would associate them with necessarily Roman leanings.

As several of us have already remarked on this thread. They are both common in London diocese too, and I would guess less so in the parallel (Westminster) RC diocese. (Birettas at any rate)

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would seem that James Wood is also making an appearance at Greenbelt. Looks like it will be worth going to see.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
There must be many church services described in literature which would make interesting subjects for MW reports [...] I can't think of any nonconformist ones, though.

What about the fierce fundamentalist service in Cold Comfort Farm? That would be a cracker!

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or any of the services from Oranges are not the only fruit?
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...an irreverent Christian website we called Godslot!'

[Cool]

Hoping that Darren comes back to say it's not a Christian website [Big Grin]

[ 30. July 2010, 19:05: Message edited by: rufiki ]

RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:

Yeah. What was that with the animal masks? I didn't understand that at all.

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by RadicalWhig:
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:

Yeah. What was that with the animal masks? I didn't understand that at all.
Start of episode 2 wasn't it? Lemme replay my DVD and I'll see if I can garner it...
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
It would seem that James Wood is also making an appearance at Greenbelt. Looks like it will be worth going to see.

Auntie Doris x

We will SO be there! That and jars of clay and Stanley Haweras and it looks like I've actually got stuff I want to go see this year [Smile]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
[QUOTE]So now we need life to imitate art by having someone MW a service at St Leonard's, Shoreditch (where the series is filmed). Then we can wake up and discover we are butterflies dreaming we are people, or like the Oozlum bird, fly in ever decreasing circles until we disappear up...

Well.....I was planning a trip to Columbia Road, which is just round the corner from St Leonard's, on Sunday anyway.....

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just caught up with the last episode.

The loneliness and feeling of being a 'loser' is very true to the experience of many priests that I have known well.

The sexual inexperience portrayed is less true. Most priests under 50 are likely to have played the field before they got married - they just tend not to boast about it.

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RadicalWhig:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
There must be many church services described in literature which would make interesting subjects for MW reports [...] I can't think of any nonconformist ones, though.

What about the fierce fundamentalist service in Cold Comfort Farm? That would be a cracker!
Or the whaling sermon at the beginning of Moby Dick?

(I remember at the time finding it one of the most powerful parts of the book. In hindsight, though, I can't remember a thing about it ...)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Most priests under 50 are likely to have played the field before they got married - they just tend not to boast about it.

Well didn't I miss out on the fun then.
[Waterworks]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The sexual inexperience portrayed is less true.

I didn't get the impression that Adan was necessarily inexperienced, nor that he was unaware, or unhappy, that Alex had a previous sexual history - just that his feeling of inadequacy (lack of babies, height, social success) were intensified by the thought of Alex's adventurous coupling with whateverhisnamewas.

Can't have been much fun having that picture planted in his head [Eek!]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Most priests under 50 are likely to have played the field before they got married - they just tend not to boast about it.

Well didn't I miss out on the fun then.
[Waterworks]

... and visits to the clinic.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
The sexual inexperience portrayed is less true.

I didn't get the impression that Adan was necessarily inexperienced, nor that he was unaware, or unhappy, that Alex had a previous sexual history - just that his feeling of inadequacy (lack of babies, height, social success) were intensified by the thought of Alex's adventurous coupling with whateverhisnamewas.

Can't have been much fun having that picture planted in his head [Eek!]

I would agree - he did say that he knew and expected that Alex had a sexual history, but he would rather not know about it, or meet the other people responsible for it.

And in the context of the loneliness theme, I think it was just enhancing Adams sense of loneliness.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An alternative view from someone who looks after clergy working precisely in those circumstances that Rev claims to portray.

Unfunny because it reflects wet liberal angst. Most of our clergy are missional, heroic and vibrantly full of faith.

A bit what you expect from some of the clergy who whinge in private and talk behind their hands at chapter meetings. They espouse a "glass half empty" view of the CofE. They've never actually met an Archdeacon like that, but they like to pretend that that's how we all are.

Yes, the lay people in the series inhabit every inner city parish that I've ever worked in, but they aren't the norm.

And the series is full of cheap shots (HTB plants in Stepney just aren't like that; most parishes worked out years ago how they relate to issues of hospitality with Muslims; you'd never appoint a wet country parish vicar to a parish like that). But don't let the reality get in the way of fantasies...

The pity of it is that it reinforces Dibley. "The CofE is lovable and wonderfully accepting of everybody. But it also doesn't believe anything, wouldn't be worth joining, and has no relevance to real life."

And it certainly doesn't have a life-changing, radical message about the Kingdom of God.

Rev just feels like the jaundiced maundering of a few of our sadder clergy sniggering behind the bike sheds and needing to get a life. But clearly I'm in a minority on this!

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:

And it certainly doesn't have a life-changing, radical message about the Kingdom of God.

Is that its purpose?
Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
The pity of it is that it reinforces Dibley. "The CofE is lovable and wonderfully accepting of everybody. But it also doesn't believe anything, wouldn't be worth joining, and has no relevance to real life."

While I accept your comments about the speed that some of the changes, that is the nature of a series, that time is often compressed, but the above I do not agree with. I think he series has shown that the rev at least does believe in something, and is trying very hard to live that out in very difficult circumstances. In the first episode, the real challenges of using his influence just for the churches financial gain, or staying true to his understanding of his faith were clearly brought out, and very well, I think. In Dibley, she would have given in ( especially if the MP was good looking ).

And in the last one on loneliness, the reality that people who seem to be busy, active, and the centre of a social life may be very lonely in reality, and the truth that the Rev had a community of people around him, who were his real friends ( even though they were parishoners ), was excellent.

It is not everything, but I think it shows Adam struggling to make the "life-changing, radical message" a reality in the environment that he is in. And so makes it not just a nice set of words, but something practical and real. And that is what I like about it.

It is not Dibley, or Dibley-lite. The characters are all over-done, of course, but teh stories and the messages are about relating the Christian message to reality.

[ 01. August 2010, 15:31: Message edited by: Schroedinger's cat ]

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Miss Madrigal
Shipmate
# 15528

- Posted      Profile for Miss Madrigal   Email Miss Madrigal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite so, Schroedinger's cat, most of the comedy and pathos comes from the fact that someone did appoint a wet country parish vicar to a parish like that, not to mention that it reflects wet liberal angst. There would be little room for exploration of character if the central protagonist was building upon a foundation of rock-solid faith in a thriving church that presented them no challenges.
Posts: 79 | From: The Bit In The Middle | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

The IT Crowd is unfunny as it portrays people who work in IT as being geeks who cannot form relationships when many IT professionals are not like that at all.

Fawlty Towers is unfunny because it portrays a manic hotelier with no people skills whatsoever when many hoteliers are charming people.

Til Death Us Do Part is unfunny because it portrays a bigoted working class racist when many working class people aren't racist at all.

Rev is a comedy show. Lighten up!

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pete, I'd love to see you playing a cameo part as the visiting Bishop. Perhaps you'd get a chance to air some of these views in person! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
]The IT Crowd is unfunny

The fourth series really wasunfunny. Such a disappointment.

Pete's comments about Rev are really depressing. It's almost as if his approach to religion admits of no humour, no criticism and no self-mockery. Personally, I think Rev provides a very positive and encouraging view of the CofE - almost as if there really was a point to it all (other than just as a preservation society for nice buildings, old rituals, and cake - which as we know, its its true divine mission).

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Is that its purpose?
I think Pete meant the series doesn't portray the C of E as having a life-changing, radical message… , and I do think that is (part of) the C of E's purpose. Clearly I wouldn't expect the comedy to have that purpose.

I confess to mixed feelings about Rev. There are some things which are there for the comedy - which simply wouldn't happen in real life in quite that way*, and I'm not quite sure that I'm really happy with the overall take on the C of E which I am getting from the series. ISTM the message is "maybe loveable, but a bit sad and hopeless". I'm sure that it would be possible to do comedy with a rather different tone to it.
(*E.g., the mechanics of the school places question, the role of the archdeacon - and ISTM his odd understanding of the 'hierarchy')

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the reason I find it unfunny is that I find it unfunny. Humour is like that. It's personal. So it's OK not to laugh at stuff that other people find hilarious. It's less appalling than a lot of what passes for humour on the TV, which often depends on cruelty and mockery, but that's another discussion. I leave it to those who know me in real life to tell you whether I have no sense of humour!

The point I'm making about Rev is that it plays into the generally depressing portrayal of the Christian faith as contentless but nice humanism with a nod to a God who's probably absent, and of the Church as a bunch of shambolic and witless wets who couldn't organise the proverbial in the brewery. The clergy who "advised" on it may have got the vestments right, but they sure as anything didn't help the series depict the CofE in urban London that I know and love.

Of course it's a comedy - but it's just one more pointless nail in the coffin of credibility for a faith that is transformative and dynamic. I have to watch it every week in order to keep in touch with what's being said. But it gives me no pleasure.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if there's another series maybe it will include some of the comical clerical antics in the Willesden area. Ruislip is a hotbed of them I'm told.

[ 01. August 2010, 18:08: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hostly biretta waving]

Sniff ... sniff. is this the faintest aroma of deep seriousness I detect?

quote:
... creativity, comedy and random questions. A blessed state of e-being, free from weeping and gnashing of teeth, where the cup of absurdity runneth over
While Heaven is not ipso facto devoid of intellect (I hope) perhaps the serious theo-socio-harmitiological undertones belong elsewhere.

Find the fluff, desist the weeping and gnashing, or perhaps we will all go down for deeper debates in the realm of indulgences.

REV ZAPPA, twitching benignly
[/Hostly biretta waving]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
An alternative view from someone who looks after clergy working precisely in those circumstances that Rev claims to portray.

Unfunny because it reflects wet liberal angst. Most of our clergy are missional, heroic and vibrantly full of faith.

I think you are being a bit hard on this issue. Granted that you seem to be one of the more pastoral bishops, it is still the case that the clergy you meet will see you as their 'boss', or at least a representing your diocesan. So they may not tell you about their loneliness and doubts.

I am not being rude but simply pointing out that the role of bishop as it has become makes it harder for a bishop to be perceived as the pastor s/he is meant to be.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

I wonder if a serious discussion about fluffy vicars would slip under the hostly radar? If not exactly fluffy, Adam is not the kind of priest we want to have: vague, liberal, well-meaning but hesitant to state what he really believes, because he probably doesn't believe very much at all. Or so Pete173 thinks.

Humour, as he says, is a personal thing so there's no reason why he should necessarily find Rev funny. But as a bishop, has he never encountered priests like this? Priests who struggle with doubts, and nevertheless believe that they are meant to keep the flame of faith alive; who are aware of the dangers of priestly authority; who recoil from the slick certainties of more doctrinaire members of the church; who somehow believe they are called to live alongside the outcast and poor and through them recognise their own vulnerability...

Are they a bad advertisement for the modern, confident, assertively evangelical Church of England? I doubt it. I think that more people who have watched this series will think again about the role of the church in our society, than ever did after the Vicar of Dibley, or will do in a month of Sundays of tele-evangelism. In a media-driven, image-conscious world, it's surely refreshing to see a portrayal of someone who is not driven by the need to put on a good face, or give a convincing presentation. Someone who is honest to God, in other words.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooooh! Angloid said 'Honest to God!' I'm telling!

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016