homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: The Knights Templar, Gay Bishops, Flying Saucers, and PSA. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: The Knights Templar, Gay Bishops, Flying Saucers, and PSA.
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
I was more thinking Pentecostalism, about I don't think their Catholicism would pass muster either. Most South American Catholics wouldn't know what a maniple was if it bit them on the arse.

Yes, I was (unclearly) making the point that worship styles do vary a lot among the marginalized. But I take your point that few of the worship styles prevelant in Africa would be well received in a liberal Anglican church.

On the other hand, does that matter? You've already implied that you'd prefer the prevailing sexism (and probably homophobia) wouldn't need importing.

I suppose the snootiness matters.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On the other hand, does that matter? You've already implied that you'd prefer the prevailing sexism (and probably homophobia) wouldn't need importing.
I'm a pro-OOW woman with a career and a PhD. Please do enlighten me about my preference for sexism. Oh, and I did mention I don't give a flying fuck about the sexual orientation of the person in the next pew didn't I?

[ 14. July 2010, 09:18: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And there I thought I was clarifying.

I was saying I thought you'd prefer it "wouldn't need importing" - i.e. that you (and I) think it's not a good thing.

i.e. being concerned about the marginalized doesn't mean we need to approve of all (or any) aspects of their christianity/worship.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Geneviève:
quote:
What went so badly wrong with the Evangelicals that they failed to develop a liturgical vocabulary?
This is not a kind, loving, or Christian statement. There's nothing wrong that proper education wouldn't fix.
From personal experience they do have a liturgical vocabulary, but any evidence of education is limited. They are keen of 'verbing', hence abominations like 'fellowshipping' and 'impacting prayer'. Extemporare prayer has a lot to answer for too: the great game of counting 'Lord Jesus' against 'Father God' is a handy alternative to listening to these, the most tedious and self-indulgent utterances since 1970's progressive rock music. I really feel for God.
You forgot "Lord, we just wanna praise you / pray to you / thank you (delete as appropriate)". Though I'm equally amused at people who bang on about The Marginalised in far away countries while turning their nose up at the sort of worship The Marginalised in far away countries seem to actually quite like.
Oh please don't get me onto those who want to praise/worship/adore Him. Get on and do it!

As for the worship (or dare I say, the liturgy) The Marginalised prefer, there is some desperately patronising use of African worship, which is about as convincing as the father of the bride dancing at the wedding.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies. The meaning was unclear and this being hell I took it as an insult (are we allowed to apologise in hell? [Razz] ).

My comment on worship styles was pretty tongue in cheek, but I do think there's an interesting unresolved tension in attitudes to the developing world and to other religions. It reminds me of a clergyman I know who will have nothing to do with the local open evangelicals because they're trad on LGBT issues, but is very keen on working with the local mosque, whose attitude to LGBTs is about ten times more restrictive.

quote:
The Marginalised prefer, there is some desperately patronising use of African worship, which is about as convincing as the father of the bride dancing at the wedding.

Quite.

[ 14. July 2010, 09:35: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
I do think there's an interesting unresolved tension in attitudes to the developing world and to other religions. It reminds me of a clergyman I know who will have nothing to do with the local open evangelicals because they're trad on LGBT issues, but is very keen on working with the local mosque, whose attitude to LGBTs is about ten times more restrictive.

No, it should be my apology for being unclear.

I like the "unresolved tension" euphemism for "rank hypocrisy".

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yerevan,

No problems with what you are saying, I was expressing my frustration with what is downright bad worship. The notion that any praise or worship is good because it is directed to God from His people is heretical bollocks.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

quote:
Yerevan,

No problems with what you are saying, I was expressing my frustration with what is downright bad worship. The notion that any praise or worship is good because it is directed to God from His people is heretical bollocks.

Agreed. And my comment wasn't meant for you personally.

How the hell did Hell get so nice?

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The notion that any praise or worship is good because it is directed to God from His people is heretical bollocks.

Congratulations! You have won our star prize for self-righteous, priggish and arrogant statement of the week!

Don't knock it, this takes some winning.

quote:

How the hell did Hell get so nice?

Spiffy and Rook are on holiday.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
The notion that any praise or worship is good because it is directed to God from His people is heretical bollocks.

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Congratulations! You have won our star prize for self-righteous, priggish and arrogant statement of the week!

But not of the last 5 weeks.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:

Oooh.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
ken is bitter because he likes to brag about his progressive evo Anglican parish in Southwark with female priests...

Surely this means that half the evos on the Ship don't consider him "sound". Why, he's practically a godless liberal. He must not be a Real and True Christian.

I've noticed that a goodly proportion of the evo-bashing that takes place here comes from other Evangelicals who disagree with particular stances. It isn't the only source, but I've not noticed that Evangelicals receive noticeably less respect from other Shipmates than Catholics--or the various Orthodox--or gay Shipmates--or women.

In each group, of course, we have our nutters who are deservedly mocked. That's part of the fun.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whether ken is a sound Evangelical is of course open to debate.

The fact that he can't tell his Presbymethegationalists from his Pentecostals does mark him as an uncouth heathen though.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you kidding?

Ken is Orthodox.

I maintain that Ken is in fact Mousethief's puppet.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We know where you live, Beeswax. Take it back. Or you'll be forcibly Orthodized.

[ 14. July 2010, 22:57: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The fact that he can't tell his Presbymethegationalists from his Pentecostals does mark him as an uncouth heathen though.

Be that as it may, should the opportunity ever arise I will gladly buy a drink for the man who coined the term "Myrhhmeneutics".

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
We know where you live, Beeswax. Take it back. Or you'll be forcibly Orthodized.

[Ultra confused]

That sounds like it involves trussing someone against a suitably large icon, dousing them with enough incense to kill an elephant and waiting for their beard to grow to fist length. While droning on like a goat with laryngitis.

[Paranoid]

Wait, on second thought you should see what happens when we forcibly Calvinize someone. [Snigger]

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Fist length? Wussies.

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[Ultra confused]

That sounds like it involves trussing someone against a suitably large icon, dousing them with enough incense to kill an elephant and waiting for their beard to grow to fist length. While droning on like a goat with laryngitis.

[Paranoid]

Wait, on second thought you should see what happens when we forcibly Calvinize someone. [Snigger]

[Killing me]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:

Actually, it was pg 2 of the hell thread. Straight from the horses mouth.

You weren't too far off tho. [Biased]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[Ultra confused]

[Paranoid]

I'd rather be Orthodized than Calvinized.
I like incense and shaving is a pain.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How ironic that your description made me think of your original remark despite not having in mind that it was also Sioni's description of it. I thought your response seemed a bit of an over-reaction, but that explains it.

Are you going to continue looking for slender opportunities to quote all your other hell call participants' words back at them?

[ 15. July 2010, 04:42: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
How ironic that your description made me think of your original remark despite not having in mind that it was also Sioni's description of it. I thought your response seemed a bit of an over-reaction, but that explains it.

His comment made me think of his reaction to my comment.

I rather thought of it as the pot calling the kettle black.

You picked up on it too. [Razz]

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you going to continue looking for slender opportunities to quote all your other hell call participants' words back at them?

I hope Evensong will continue to do just that, cheapshots'n'all. This is Hell remember, although at times it looks and feels like Heck.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Yeah, hell indeed. Bring on retribution. None of this forgiveness bullshit.

Fight it out till we all die injured, maimed, unloved and forgotten!

Mwuaaaahhh haaaa haaa haaa haaaaa! [Devil] [Devil] [Devil]

Tyler Durden
Shipmate
# 2996

- Posted      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
love the Evangelicals but hate the Evangelicalism.

Genius!

--------------------
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is a moron, while anyone driving faster is a maniac? Jerry Seinfeld

Posts: 509 | From: Kent | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm intrigued at what it would take to forcibly Calvinise someone.

How is it done? Irresistably of course.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

Put them in a room and make them sing metrical psalms.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or torture them with some twisted logic until they give in?

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

I'm afraid the Calvinists don't have a monopoly on that.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Or torture them with some twisted logic until they give in?

Cornelius Van Till would do it. Extreme Calvinists are masters of twisted logic.

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some sick twisted part of my soul wants to make this into either a Circus game or Heaven thread.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually they are not, they are masters of brutal logic. There is a difference. They are so in love with the straightness of their system that they will not let it swerve to left or right for anyone, not even God but like a well tuned juggernaut let it crush all in its way.

Actually you get this in any situation where the system becomes more important than humanity. Maybe that is part of the reason for the cross.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bullfrog.:
Some sick twisted part of my soul wants to make this into either a Circus game or Heaven thread.

Then piss off to Heaven or the Circus and start it. We're too busy making sure SoF doesn't fall behind on it's Evo-hatin' quota to do it on this thread.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:

What? Using twisted logic to force somebody into becoming a Calvinist? You would be a prime candidate you liberal Arminian heretic. Numpty and Duchess could start with some good Calvinist/bad Calvinist and go from there.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...This is Hell remember, although at times it looks and feels like Heck.

I remember the good ole days -- when men were men and so were some of the women.
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

Then piss off to Heaven or the Circus and start it. We're too busy making sure SoF doesn't fall behind on it's Evo-hatin' quota to do it on this thread.
One of the reasons we hate evo churches is because they are falling back on paying their quota.
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Oh ye of little faith and even less theological education!

You think Calvinizing somebody takes force, twisted logic or even effort? How wrong you are! [Snigger]

If the miserable unrepentant reprobate was MEANT to be saved he will be immediately consumed in a flash of blinding ecstatic light and emerge smelling like tulips.

Beeswax, buddy, many such sinners emerge with the most exquisite beards. If both Calvin and Knox had beards, they're ok.

The correct response for the Elect is to sing a metrical psalm of thanksgiving.

Of course, if the miserable unrepentant reprobate was not meant to be saved, they are consumed in a gigantic ball of fire and reduced to a smoldering pile of ash.

In this case a round is called for. There's a reason it's called Firewater.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alfred E. Neuman:
quote:
...This is Hell remember, although at times it looks and feels like Heck.

I remember the good ole days -- when men were men and so were some of the women.
Oh please. It takes a real woman to be a raging bitch.

You boys don't have it in you.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're the only one left - beside Erin, I mean. The rest are effete, verbose, blathermeisters infatuated with their own grand witticisms - and the boys try to emulate them.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Whatever happened to Sarkycow? Now THERE was a Hell host.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Hell yeah. We could have had such beautiful children, too.
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is Hell remember, although at times it looks and feels like Heck.

Quick Phil get the spoon.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Alfred E. Neuman:
Hell yeah. We could have had such beautiful children, too.

By artificial insemination, I assume you mean.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
Put them in a room and make them sing metrical psalms.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

8787. Tonic-Dominant.

This IS Hell.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

You're right, Organ Grinder, Calvinists don't have the monopoly on twisted logic. But they inherited it from the late medieval Scholastics from whence they sprung, would some of them but admit it ...

I daresay the wierdy beardies over in Constantinople have their own logic twisting shenanigans also ... and there are unitarians and such who'd accuse all Trinitarian Christians of twisting logic further than it can go ...

Ah well, now then, I like the idea of Numpty and Duchess being Good Calvinist/Bad Calvinist. I wonder which would be which?

Now that Numpty has issued an unequivocal apology to Mr and Mrs Mousethief then I presume he must qualify for the role of Good Calvinist - at least part of the time.

As for Duchess, the sharp-eyed among us may have noticed that her TULIPs are not as cast-iron as she may like to think. Indeed, she was squeamish about some uber-Calvinist preacher declaring that one of the pleasures of the saved would be to ultimately gloat over the torments of the damned.

Now, I wonder where he got that from? Medieval Roman Catholicism again.

No wonder the Orthodox believe that Rome and Geneva are two sides of the same bad penny.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, the saved 'looking down from heaven and rejoicing in the suffering of the damned' (or words to that effect) is from the New Testament. I'm sure one of our Bible scholar sorts can come up with the exact chapter and verse.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

It's from Aquinas. With some semi-supportive OT references, but I don't think anything in the NT.

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Actually, the saved 'looking down from heaven and rejoicing in the suffering of the damned' (or words to that effect) is from the New Testament. I'm sure one of our Bible scholar sorts can come up with the exact chapter and verse.

That's that allegory about the Rich Man and Lazarus, right?

I don't think it's necessarily true that Lazarus enjoyed watching the Rich Man burn, though it is true that the Rich Man didn't enjoy watching Lazarus chill out with Abraham. As I read it, Lazarus doesn't even say a word through the entire parable.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, not the Rich Man and Lazarus one; as you point out, that has some nuance.

It's more of a throwaway line in some not-very-famous bit. Part of the reason it has always stuck in my mind is because the nasty gloating of that one line seemed somewhat out-of-character with the surrounding text.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016