homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: The Knights Templar, Gay Bishops, Flying Saucers, and PSA. (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: The Knights Templar, Gay Bishops, Flying Saucers, and PSA.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure there's nothing like that in the NT.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Actually, the saved 'looking down from heaven and rejoicing in the suffering of the damned' (or words to that effect) is from the New Testament. I'm sure one of our Bible scholar sorts can come up with the exact chapter and verse.

My Google-Fu is not pulling anything from the Bible, but it's coming up with a quote by a guy named John Edwards in a sermon entitled The End of the Wicked Contemplated by the Righteous--

quote:
The saints in glory will see how the damned are tormented; they will see God's threatenings fulfilled, and His wrath executed upon them. When they see it, it will be no occasion of grief to them...It will be an occasion of their rejoicing, as the glory of God will appear in it.
...yeah, do I have to be a member of the Body of Christ with this jackass? Stupid Jesus, always making me love my neighbor, even the dead ignorant, mean, and rude ones.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The nearest thing I can think of is
quote:
I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: "How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?"
in (Rev. 6:9,10).

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The closest I can find is Rev. 19, and the thing being destroyed is a symbolic city/prostitute/whatsit that stands for the conglomeration evil forces that oppress and destroy God's people. This is an echo of the OT prophets describing the end of the nations that destroyed Israel. In both cases the thing being tormented is both highly symbolic and apparently impersonal--it's not like smiling at Uncle Jack roasting in the flames, then. More like watching a fraudulent megalender corporation go down in flames.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Spiffy may have the clue and I'm remembering a snippet from a Jonathan Edwards sermon or the like.

Oh well, if the verse I'm remembering really exists, I'll probably stumble over it years from now and think "Aha! That's the one." and it will be way to late to tell you all about it.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plenty of time to tell us all about it in Heaven jlg, so there's no rush.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016