homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: Fermented or unfermented? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: Fermented or unfermented?
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sparked off a minor tangent in Ecclesiantics by responding to this comment by NJA:

quote:

The "wine" [at the Last Supper] would probably have been unfermented grape juice.

as follows:
quote:
Is this a serious statement or an attempt at 'humour'?
because I have never come across this suggestion before and wondered what the evidence for it was. NJA responded:

quote:

Serious, what is your reason for thinking otherwise?

and dj_ordinaire made this hostly ruling:
quote:
This argument belongs in Kerygmania or Purgatory - not, not, NOT in Eccles... So let's draw a line under it, thank you.

Never having dared to start (or rarely join) a thread in Kerygmania I thought I'd try here. I don't expect a long discussion, but I'd like to hear some authoritative evidence that what Jesus and the disciples drank was not wine.

[ 29. December 2014, 21:14: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no evidence about the wine at Last Supper.

Alcohol isn't a modern invention and there's lots of evidence that ancient civilisations knew about it, made it and enjoyed it as we do. Letting fruit juice ferment means the alcohol helps preserve it, as well as making it a pleasure to drink.

Surely, those who claim that Jesus didn't drink alcohol are exhibiting wishful thinking, hoping that he conformed to their modern preferences.

The fact that it was referred to as wine is good enough for me. Unless people are claiming this is a translation error, I'd say there's little room for doubt.

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I've heard is that there are some passages of Scripture which say it's a sin to get drunk. Somehow it's assumed that therefore it's a sin to drink alcohol (I never quite figure how that follows). Therefore, as Jesus was without sin he didn't drink alcohol. And, therefore the wine at the Last Supper, which he drank, didn't contain alcohol. QED.

The same argument applies to the miraculous wine at the wedding in Cana.

The weakness of the argument is that if it's a sin to get drunk therefore it's a sin to drink. I've never actually found a reasonable defense of that particular step in the argument.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a good Methodist, I am well-aware of the story of Thomas Welch. He was a Methodist active in the temperance movement who invented Welch's grape juice so that communion could be served with a non-alcoholic form of the grape. Prior to that, unfermented grape juice simply didn't keep. It is almost inconceivable that unfermented grape juice was the usual drink in Biblical times.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
As a good Methodist, I am well-aware of the story of Thomas Welch. He was a Methodist active in the temperance movement who invented Welch's grape juice so that communion could be served with a non-alcoholic form of the grape. Prior to that, unfermented grape juice simply didn't keep. It is almost inconceivable that unfermented grape juice was the usual drink in Biblical times.

Indeed, given that the passover is celebrated in the spring, long after the grape harvest in the autumn, there can be no serious doubt that what Jesus was drinking must have contained alcohol.

However the real kicker is this passage:
quote:
31"To what, then, can I compare the people of this generation? What are they like? 32They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling out to each other:
" 'We played the flute for you,
and you did not dance;
we sang a dirge,
and you did not cry.' 33For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, 'He has a demon.' 34The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' 35But wisdom is proved right by all her children."

Luke 7:31-35
which contrasts the lifestyle of John the Baptist and Jesus and accepts that the allegation of being a 'drunkard' could be validly laid against him. Anyone who claims to be a biblical Christian has NO excuse for a blanket ban on alcohol on purely Christian grounds...

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul, in ticking off the Corinthians in 1 Cor 11.21 about their attempt to celebrate the Lord's Supper (a common meal, incorporating communion), says:

"For in eating everyone takes before the other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken."

Clearly, the Corinthians in their gatherings for the Lord's Supper were drinking alcoholic beverages. But Paul does not tick them off for drinking alcohol, he simply scolds them for their general selfishness and gluttony - especially because the poor in their midst went hungry and thirsty, while the well-provided over-ate and over-drank. The issue was charity, not teetotalism (or tee-totalitarianism).

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
The weakness of the argument is that if it's a sin to get drunk therefore it's a sin to drink. I've never actually found a reasonable defense of that particular step in the argument.

That would be like saying that if gluttony is a sin then it is a sin to eat. I don't think that most people regularly drink to the point of inebriation. Maybe they do. My experience, though, is that wine is a pleasant social drink that doesn't usually result in drunkenness. YMMV

It only takes a little reading to see that it is unlikely that the "wine" referred to in the New Testament was actually unfermented grape juice.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most that can be said about the wine at the last supper was that it may have been considerably watered down. This was a Greek and Roman practice at their feasts and symposiums (talking and drinking parties) so may have been picked up by the Jews in Israel, (although I have no evidence either way). Unwatered wine got people drunk quite quickly so a host who wanted civilised conversation more than drunken antics generally watered the wine down. I can’t remember the usual formula they used for how much water to how much wine, but it was more or less depending on the nature of the party.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I remember - and please correct me - there is no evidence at all that the wine in the New Testament is anything other than ordinary wine.
Its all a modern fantasy

And as ES points out the New Testament does explicitly point out that Jesus and his disciples drank the sort of wine that gets you drunk. So no Biblical literalist could consistently believe that Jesus only drank unfermented grape juice.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The same argument applies to the miraculous wine at the wedding in Cana.

How on earth can that be squared with the steward's observation that the guests were already half-cut when the miraculous wine was produced, and it would have been more usual to get them pissed on the good stuff now being served before getting out the cheap shit that they had just finished drinking?

That bit of the story makes no sense at all unless Jesus made wine that would have made someone drunk if they consumed enough of it (all indications being that this particular party, which had already drunk the house dry, would certainly have done so).

(I do appreciate that you are reporting, not making, this argument.)

If Jesus made wine for drunk people to drink more of, then what reason can there be for thinking he wouldn't have drunk it himself?

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
The most that can be said about the wine at the last supper was that it may have been considerably watered down. This was a Greek and Roman practice at their feasts and symposiums (talking and drinking parties) so may have been picked up by the Jews in Israel, (although I have no evidence either way). Unwatered wine got people drunk quite quickly so a host who wanted civilised conversation more than drunken antics generally watered the wine down.

This assumes that people would drink strong unwatered wine at the same rate they would drink weak watered wine.

Personally, if I am given a strong alcoholic drink, I sip it slowly. If it is weak, I drink much faster.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of PJ O'Rouke's account of going to a US Christian theme park back in 80s...

"A book store full of Bibles where wine is always translated grape juice and a record store full of bands who could easily be called 'I found Jesus and lost my talent."

Ah, those were the days. [Biased]

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It reminds me of the old joke. Our Lord turned water into wine and for the last two thousand years the Church has been trying to turn it back.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
humblebum
Shipmate
# 4358

- Posted      Profile for humblebum   Email humblebum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Another weakness of the argument is that fermented wine is presented as a gift of God in multiple places in scripture.

E.g. Isaiah 25:6
"On this mountain the LORD Almighty will prepare
a feast of rich food for all peoples,
a banquet of aged wine—
the best of meats and the finest of wines".

And the argument that the wine at Cana was non-alcoholic is ridiculous - the banquet master's comment becomes inexplicable: "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now".

As Tom and ES have pointed out, unfermented grape juice would have been unavailable at the Last Supper.

At the same time though, I think it's possible to argue that the wine would have been LESS alcoholic than modern wine, as methods of fermentation would have been more primitive. But from what I've heard, we'd be talking about 4% ABV rather than 12% - more like drinking lager than modern wine. (But not like drinking Ribena).

--------------------
humblebum

Posts: 584 | From: Belfast | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
... please correct me - there is no evidence at all that the wine in the New Testament is anything other than ordinary wine.
Its all a modern fantasy

Be careful not to project what you call "ordinary wine" onto people and times where the meaning was different.

The meaning has changed.

New wine or "must" was defined in Webster's 1949 dictionary:
must, n. [L.mustum, new wine, neut.of mustus, new, fresh.]
1. Wine pressed from the grape but not fermented.

But by 1969 it read:
1. juice pressed from the grape but not yet fermented into wine.

So, "wine" by our definition is different from their "new wine" (not yet fermented) which we would now call grape juice.

I got that thought from "Wine definition" here.

So, when you read new testament verses mentioning "wine" you have to "put new glasses on".

[ 08. June 2010, 12:32: Message edited by: NJA ]

Posts: 1283 | From: near London | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Christian Agnostic
Shipmate
# 14912

- Posted      Profile for Christian Agnostic   Email Christian Agnostic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did they have fresh grapes in the spring, ie. during Passover? [Confused]

--------------------
Words to the wise: Don't read Kierkegaard when you're 16, and always set B.S. detectors to 11. "How can I sing a strange song in the Lord's land?"

Posts: 493 | From: The Great North Woods | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NJA:
quote:
... please correct me - there is no evidence at all that the wine in the New Testament is anything other than ordinary wine.
Its all a modern fantasy

Be careful not to project what you call "ordinary wine" onto people and times where the meaning was different.

The meaning has changed.

But by 1969 it read:

So, "wine" by our definition is different from their "new wine" (not yet fermented) which we would now call grape juice.

So, when you read new testament verses mentioning "wine" you have to "put new glasses on".

But as has already been pointed out, grape juice very quickly ferments and becomes alcoholic wine.

The ancient jews did not have modern methods of preservation or refrigerators, nor were fresh grapes available throughout the year.

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
humblebum
Shipmate
# 4358

- Posted      Profile for humblebum   Email humblebum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I assume that you mean "post-nineteenth century temperance movement" glasses, NJA.

--------------------
humblebum

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In other words, discard the glasses of teetotal prejudice.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have friends whose argument is, no good ever comes from drinking alcohol, so there's no good reason to ever drink it, so of course Jesus never drank it because Jesus did only good things.

I have read long detailed descriptions of a supposedly Roman practice of drying grape juice to the point of getting nothing but solids, which could then be carried (by the soldiers) in a pouch without risk of spoiling and water added later reconstituting grape juice when they want beverage to drink. My reaction is, what culture ever valued grape juice that highly? Their response is, it's like people today often prefer koolade or lemonade cokes to just water.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Low Treason:
But as has already been pointed out, grape juice very quickly ferments and becomes alcoholic wine.

The ancient jews did not have modern methods of preservation or refrigerators,..

No, but it seems they had methods we have forgotten (see website I cited)

[ 08. June 2010, 13:09: Message edited by: NJA ]

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The meaning has changed.

But by 1969 it read:

Except the Bible wasn't written in 1949 in English [Roll Eyes]

The actual word used in the New Testament is Oinos, and this word means fermented wine. In Ephesians Paul writes "Do not get drunk on 'Oinos' (wine)".

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Low Treason:

The ancient jews did not have modern methods of preservation or refrigerators,..

Forgive me, I have read a couple of pages of that website and it appears to be written by an obsessive who, frankly, needs a drink.

Can you point out what these methods were please?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NJA - I see your distinction, but it may come down to alcoholic strength and quality rather than anything else.

Buy a bunch of grapes. The white dust that you see on the surface, known as 'bloom'? It's yeast. No level of filtering is going to keep that out of the juice. Fermentation will begin in earnest within a day of pressing grapes into juice. The only way to avoid this is pasteurisation, which is not known to be a 1st century practice.

Comparitive quality of old and new wine would be another thing. I believe wine was aged beyond the year of production (see quote above) but it must have been a risky process. No carefully rack glass bottles with long corks in them. Probably ceramic jars sealed with cork and wax. Clearly from the 'new wine' references, 'new' was a valued product.

In my opinion, the last supper was held with alcoholic wine. Does that necessarily mean that grape juice would be wrong? I don't actually think so. The whole thing is symbolic at some level. If you can express the communities theology and faith better in grape juice, then that's fine with me. If transubstantiation is actually true, then the absence of C2H5OH should not be a major obstacle.

3F

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
humblebum
Shipmate
# 4358

quote:

Do you have any sources less biased than a prohibitionist website that we can look into, NJA, for further information on what people did with their grapes in the first century?

--------------------
humblebum

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
I have read long detailed descriptions of a supposedly Roman practice of drying grape juice to the point of getting nothing but solids, which could then be carried (by the soldiers) in a pouch without risk of spoiling and water added later reconstituting grape juice when they want beverage to drink.

I think you're referring to defrutum which was actually a cooking agent that the Romans liked to use and was included as provisions for soldiers since they liked it so much.

--------------------

NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

quote:

The actual word used in the New Testament is Oinos, and this word means fermented wine. In Ephesians Paul writes "Do not get drunk on 'Oinos' (wine)".

Yes, but new wine, "the blood of grapes" would not be alcoholic.

You have to look at the context.

Jesus wasn't promoting tee-totalism, in fact the word of God says:
"Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts" (Proverbs 31:6)

There is a place for it, if you are a natural person wanting to relax or have a party.

But it will affect your judgement so you wouldn't want it when you need your wits about you.

BUT, when a person has received God's Spirit, the "new wine" from "the True Vine", they have a "new heart", not the old heavy heart of stone - no Christian needs alcohol, in fact it is contrary to the Spirit .. . it affects the judgement and is a poor testimony, even in small quantity, that's why Paul says "be not drunk with wine, which is an excess"

Alcohol is an excess, not needed.

NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
...Can you point out what these methods were please?

(+ humblebum)

I just did a search and found this.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
quote:

(+ humblebum)

I wonder if this is a spoof, since the author's name translates as 'Bacchus eyes'?

--------------------

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many above are on the right track.

Jesus served and drank wine at the Last Supper. Therefore (except for those with various health issues), that's what we should drink at the Lord's Supper.

'Nuff said.

[ 08. June 2010, 13:46: Message edited by: St. Punk the Pious ]

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:

Indeed, given that the passover is celebrated in the spring, long after the grape harvest in the autumn, there can be no serious doubt that what Jesus was drinking must have contained alcohol.

However the real kicker is this passage:
quote:
31"To what, then, can I compare the people of this generation? What are they like? 32They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling out to each other:
" 'We played the flute for you,
and you did not dance;
we sang a dirge,
and you did not cry.' 33For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, 'He has a demon.' 34The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' 35But wisdom is proved right by all her children."

Luke 7:31-35
which contrasts the lifestyle of John the Baptist and Jesus and accepts that the allegation of being a 'drunkard' could be validly laid against him. Anyone who claims to be a biblical Christian has NO excuse for a blanket ban on alcohol on purely Christian grounds...

It seems some think that Jesus was being accused of being a drunk because he drank some Welch's. When I read what he said about John and himself in relation to what was being said about the both of them by others, it seems he was also telling us that with some folks you just can't win. Your very existence is all the proof they need that you are just wrong.

Some will use 1 Thess. 5:22 as a reason to promote teatotalism. It appears they may be looking for a prooftext to back them up, though.

Well, we can also use that same verse to promote having a drink so we won't run the risk of appearing to have the same ideological-based religion of those who carried out or approve of what happened on 9/11.

It is also my understanding that Hitler didn't drink alcoholic beverages. Well, if so, I'm going to have a beer this evening so folks won't have to worry about me getting millions of people killed.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

quote:
Yes, but new wine, "the blood of grapes" would not be alcoholic.

You have to look at the context.

What context? Where does it say Jesus drank "the blood of grapes"? Since the gospels only record that he drank 'Oinos' at the last supper, you don't have a leg to stand on.

--------------------

NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

quote:
What context? Where does it say Jesus drank "the blood of grapes"? Since the gospels only record that he drank 'Oinos' at the last supper, you don't have a leg to stand on.

"he took the cup ... this is my blood of the new testament ...I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine (Matt.26:27-29)

It symbolised his blood, pure, (unfermented) which would be spilled on his own clothing, if I understand this prophecy right:

"Binding his foal unto the vine, and his ass's colt unto the choice vine; he washed his garments in wine, and his clothes in the blood of grapes" (Gen.49:11)

Again, I conclude that "oinos" cannot only refer to fermented grape juice.

Also,
"It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink: Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted. " (Proverbs 31:4-5)

Jesus was/is a King, who came to fulfil the Law and save the afflicted.

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink: Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted. " (Proverbs 31:4-5)

6Give strong drink to one who is perishing,
and wine to those in bitter distress;
7let them drink and forget their poverty,
and remember their misery no more.
8Speak out for those who cannot speak,
for the rights of all the destitute.*
9Speak out, judge righteously,
defend the rights of the poor and needy.
--Proverbs 31:6-9

Just sayin'...

[ 08. June 2010, 14:48: Message edited by: Bullfrog. ]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
quote:

(+ humblebum)

I wonder if this is a spoof, since the author's name translates as 'Bacchus eyes'?
Who knows?

Andrews University is a Seventh-Day Adventist institution and SDA's take The Lord's Supper in the form of unleavened bread and unfermented grape juice.

The article is hardly from an objective source, but if NJA wants to believe that the disciples drank grape juice I won't stand in his way.

[ 08. June 2010, 14:50: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Its all a modern fantasy

The meaning has changed.

But by 1969 it read:

And the reason you don't put must ('new wine', i.e. grape juice) in old wineskins is that the natural yeasts present in the air start eating the sugars, converting them to alcohol and carbon dioxide. The little yeast farts build up in the wine skin and if it's old and inflexible, it bursts like a balloon.

Modern brewers have fancy relief valves they stick in the fermenting vessel, but the homebrewer still sometimes has to face the sadness of exploding bottles. Cleaning up after which, by the way, is a pain in the behind.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anyuta
Shipmate
# 14692

- Posted      Profile for Anyuta   Email Anyuta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
seems to me, based on the description of the Pentacost "new wine" was also fermented: the apostles were mockingly accused of being full of "new wine" to explain why they were behaving so strangely. clearly "new wine" could intoxicate.
Posts: 764 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

This perverse twisting of facts to suit prejudices reminds me of those who argue that God deliberately planted fossils to fool people into thinking the world was more than four millennia old.

More serious though, is this point:

quote:

BUT, when a person has received God's Spirit, the "new wine" from "the True Vine", they have a "new heart", not the old heavy heart of stone - no Christian needs alcohol, in fact it is contrary to the Spirit .. . it affects the judgement and is a poor testimony, even in small quantity, that's why Paul says "be not drunk with wine, which is an excess"

which, to me, is rather like saying that a true Christian never needs to enjoy any of the good things of the earth, given by God, because s/he has God instead. As if God couldn't be present in wine, and parties, and sex, and food, and the beauties of nature, or in other human beings. It's a bit like the old story of the man stranded in the flood who refused the rescue helicopter because he knew God would be along to rescue him.

Heresy, if you ask me.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anyuta:
seems to me, based on the description of the Pentacost "new wine" was also fermented: the apostles were mockingly accused of being full of "new wine" to explain why they were behaving so strangely. clearly "new wine" could intoxicate.

I can't speak for the Greek word used in Acts, but from the fermentation science side, 'new wine' is right out of the tank and there's a folk misconception that it's more alcoholic than stuff that's aged.

I should probably mention that I know most all of this because I went to Vintage High School, home of the Crushers.

quote:

Really? Why did Paul tell Timothy to drink some wine, then?

[ 08. June 2010, 17:21: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is beaujolais nouveau non-alcoholic? I can't imagine the French would drink it if it were.

"Blood of the grape" is a euphemism, in English, for wine. Not Welch's.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
no Christian needs alcohol, in fact it is contrary to the Spirit .. . it affects the judgement and is a poor testimony, even in small quantity, that's why Paul says "be not drunk with wine, which is an excess"

Paul says "be not drunk with wine, which is an excess" and it is clear from this that it is being drunk that is an excess, not wine itself. You're twisting Scripture to match your anhistoric interpretation. These Protestants, always inventing brand-new interpretations of scripture and claiming they're what the Apostles believed, no really, even though there's no evidence for it before its 16th/17th/18th/19th/20th/21st century invention. Sigh.

--------------------

Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

"Binding his foal unto the vine, and his ass's colt unto the choice vine; he washed his garments in wine, and his clothes in the blood of grapes" (Gen.49:11)

I'm no expert, but this strikes me as bog standard Hebrew poetic parallelism, where the second half line recapitulates the first half.

foal : calf
vine : choice vine
garments : clothes
wine : blood of grapes

"Wine" and "blood of grapes" are simply two ways of saying the same thing for poetic effect; "blood of grapes" is wine, not some alternative.

Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
which, to me, is rather like saying that a true Christian never needs to enjoy any of the good things of the earth, given by God, because s/he has God instead. As if God couldn't be present in wine, and parties, and sex, and food, and the beauties of nature, or in other human beings. It's a bit like the old story of the man stranded in the flood who refused the rescue helicopter because he knew God would be along to rescue him.

Heresy, if you ask me.

Well the Rastas use the same argument for smoking cannabis. One could say the same for many other mind-altering drugs that derive from things that God made / provided.

Same for sex - good things can be mis-used, am I a heretic for saying such things?

NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
Really? Why did Paul tell Timothy to drink some wine, then?

I've already given reasons why "wine" doesn't necc. have to be alcoholic.
Grape juice has lots of vitamins that promote health and we know the water in the region is not the best.

Why does a person who has received the Spirit of God need alcohol?

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll also point out that the Romans (and probably plenty of others over the centuries) used wine and other alcoholic drinks to mix with water, especially in cities or other places where the water sources might have been fouled. Simple observation and experience had taught that 'water and wine' was safer than water alone.

Probably the same sort of thing that led other cultures (the ones where adults consumed milk products) to come up with the various fermented versions of milk (kefir, yogurt, soft cheeses etc). Fermentation was, on average, safer than poorly handled and stored 'fresh' liquids.

Of course, I may have picked up this bit of knowledge more from reading historical novels rather than actual research, but this thread doesn't seem to have very high standards of debate.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why does a person who has received the Spirit of God need alcohol?

I don't. I just happen to like it!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Four or five x-posts there. Sorry.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
These Protestants, always inventing brand-new interpretations of scripture and claiming they're what the Apostles believed, no really, even though there's no evidence for it before its 16th/17th/18th/19th/20th/21st century invention. Sigh.

Hey! Don't incorporate. No one ascribed andreas' positions about Orthodoxy (when he was one) to the rest of the Orthodox.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
These Protestants, always inventing brand-new interpretations of scripture and claiming they're what the Apostles believed, no really, even though there's no evidence for it before its 16th/17th/18th/19th/20th/21st century invention. Sigh.

Hey! Don't incorporate. No one ascribed andreas' positions about Orthodoxy (when he was one) to the rest of the Orthodox.
You're right, of course. Mea culpa.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this discussion has made me want to crack open a bottle of wine (FERMENTED). Drinks all around...cheers! NJA -- here's some Welch's; better drink it fast, before the yeast beastiess start reproducing.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016