homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: Fermented or unfermented? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: Fermented or unfermented?
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*"Sheesh" is intended as an expression of exasperation, and in no way implies or endorses disrespect for OLASJC.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
Wait, wait... so on this thread, mousethief is appealing to the plain meaning of Scripture, while NJA is arguing from his tradition? [Eek!]

I need a drink.

Well, NJA's arguments here, and on other threads, are a lot like those of some Orthodox posters.

He's coming from a tradition that teaches that the saved will inevitably exhibit certain fruits of the Spirit. I'm not sure which ones he has in mind but I suspect that the list would include speaking in tongues and being a member of the same denomination as him (which is likely to think of itself as not a denomination at all but merely the church, possibly even the One True Church)

So from his point of view, so-called Christians who do not exhibit those fruits are no real Christians at all, unsaved, and probably bound for Hell.

Being a nice guy he wants to save us from that fate. But he's not stupid, he knows that we are unlikely to respond well to outright claims that we are all doomed. So he is conducting a campaign of evangelism here under the guise of asking rhetorical questions, in the belief that when we answer them correctly they will lead us to the truth of his doctrine. As I said, exactly like certain Orthodox shipmates in the past.

But his problem is that the doctrines of his church are not based on the plain words of scripture but on the preaching and prophecy of supposedly spirit-filled leaders who can't really be called in evidence here because the rest of us, who he would think of as unregenerate and unspiritual, will insist on not believing wehat they say.

The inexorable logic of this (from his point of view) is that people who want to be Christians ought not to bother with trying to read the Word of God for themselves, but rather should put themselves in subjection to a living saint who can "rightly divide" the word of truth for them.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
No no. He spelled it "matey" and it only applied to bishops.

But Mousethief, according to 1 Peter 2:25, Jesus is a Bishop (KJV): "For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls."

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
humblebum
Shipmate
# 4358

- Posted      Profile for humblebum   Email humblebum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NJA:
Alcohol is a patch for the weakness and failings of the "old life" once you get the new (and live it) you really don't need alcohol and after a while you find you really don't want it!

No, I can say from experience that this is not necessarily the case.

I have known the transformative power and indwelling of God's Holy Spirit in my life for many years now, praise God. And just yesterday, when I got home from church by myself, rather than making myself beans on toast, I cooked myself a lamb steak in garlic and rosemary, served it with some mashed potatoes, and cherry tomatoes roasted with garlic and balsamic vinger, and served it with a glass of chilled white wine. As I sat down to eat, I paused for some moments of thankfulness to God for his good gifts to me, which I knew I could appreciate even without the opportunity of company for Sunday lunch. The white wine was no less enjoyable to me than the steak or the roast vegetables.

(I realise that you may be trying to imply that people who do enjoy alcoholic drinks in either moderation or excess must not REALLY know the Holy Spirit, or be a proper Christian, but I will do my best to ignore this).

quote:
Proverbs 31 is clear when you beleive that Christians (people that have received God's Spirit) are Kings.
Failure to accept this and just take the verses as referring to natutral kings and add that it should apply to motorists is just bad hermaneutics .. like Nicodemus asking if he needs to re-enter the womb to be born again.

This post is so discouraging. [Disappointed] The only way that Proverbs 31 can mean what you clearly want it to mean is if Christians are LITERALLY kings. Christians do not necssarily have ongoing responsibility for the government of a country, which they clearly would if they were kings. To accuse people of bad hermeneutics when they don't "get" your really non-obvious reading of Scripture is just ridiculous - it really helps no-one, least of all yourself.

If your interpretation of this passage is so clear, then why is this connection not spelt out in the New Testament (when it really ought to be if you're right)? e.g. "but now that you have received God's Spirit, it is not for you to drink alcohol, even in moderation"

(It is getting to the stage where I'm despairing of useful discussion coming out of this thread. I'd be inclined to agree with Ender's Shadow on this - if we simply make fun of NJA's untenable position, then the persecution mentality will quite likely set in, and convince him that he must be right. It might be good fun, with little offense meant, but I don't think it's what Purgatory discussions are for).

--------------------
humblebum

Posts: 584 | From: Belfast | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by humblebum:
if we simply make fun of NJA's untenable position, then the persecution mentality will quite likely set in, and convince him that he must be right.

Unfortunately I think the same will happen if we soberly disagree with forceful argument. He's convinced he is right and I doubt anything will change that. The only justification I can see for continuing to post on this thread is that there's some mild interest in understanding how the argument works. The belief that we might save NJA from his untenable position is as hopeless a motive as his belief that he might convert us to his brand of christianity.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
humblebum
Shipmate
# 4358

- Posted      Profile for humblebum   Email humblebum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fair point, mdijon.

--------------------
humblebum

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, if NJA is still reading - and this is a serious point though maybe a kerygmatic one - taking isolated bits of the Bible that give advice to kings and applying them arbitrarily to Christians because we are a "royal priesthood" is a pretty odd way to read the Bible. 1 Samuel 8 says a lot about how kings behave - do you recommend that for Christians?

Who do you think wrote Proverbs 31? Who were they talking to at the time? What did the original hearers or readers get out of it?

Before you can make sense of a Bible story or teaching (or any other story or teaching for that matter) you have to know who is talking and who they are talking to. This is practically "Literal Interpretation of the Bible 101" as Americans might say.

The Bible says "there is no God" (shock! horror!). It does. In fact it says it at least twice, probably more often.

That whole "writings" section of the Old Testament is in different voices. You simply can't take arbitrary verses from Proverbs or Psalmns or Job and assume they are God's word to us, or about us, any more than you can take the words of a Babylonian king or Balaam son of Beor from the historical books and assume they are God's word to us. Some of the passages are arguments - almost all of Job is. They can't all be right at the same time.

A strictly literal inrterpretation of the Bible would recognise that some of it is God's direct word to the original hearers or readers - the "Thus says the LORD" passages in the prophets, Jesus's teaching in the Gospels (which is why some Bibles used to print it in red), inspired teaching in the epistles and so on - but other parts of it are accurate reporting of what other people said. It is God's Word in the sense that God has miraculously caused it to be written down accurately. The Bible is the book God wants us to have.

--------------------
Ken

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
if we simply make fun of NJA's untenable position, then the persecution mentality will quite likely set in, and convince him that he must be right.

Unfortunately I think the same will happen if we soberly disagree with forceful argument. He's convinced he is right and I doubt anything will change that. The only justification I can see for continuing to post on this thread is that there's some mild interest in understanding how the argument works. The belief that we might save NJA from his untenable position is as hopeless a motive as his belief that he might convert us to his brand of christianity.
This is true of every thread NJA starts.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:

I suspect you're right; however as someone who comes from a position close to his, it's important to me to work out very clearly why he's wrong, and I do find what he says challenging at times. But yes, I suspect we have little chance of really changing him; it's just sad to see such a lack of engagement with the text in someone who claims to be an Evangelical.

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure why we should want to change him, even if his position seems strange and off the charts. I haven't seen a lot of people here doing a lot of changing over the years. Some, yes, some even "converting" to other churches and even out of Christianity or Theism altogether. Mostly I've seen people learning something of why other people think as they do, and then perhaps nudging them a few points over in certain areas. Or being nudged in turn.

Personally, one thing I've changed in because of Ship discussions is in thinking about the Trinity too modally. But I don't think I'm going to quit having the occasional glass of wine because NJA has woven a theological construct of disparate, unrelated Bible verses. But he's free to tee-total, if he likes, more health to him.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking strictly for myself (following on Leaf), the humor came from the fact that NJA and others of his inclination usually argue that the "plain sense" of scripture is obvious to any reasonable person. To see him resorting to extreme symbolic exegesis (or eisegesis, actually) to get the desired result was amusing. Because that's exactly what conservatives routinely accuse liberals of doing. I wasn't involved in the discussion, but I was enjoying the spectacle.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyda*Rose,

I think you are right and have the right attitude.

I think it was fermented. Some don't.

I think that alcohol is bad for some people.
My mother-in-law thought I was likely to turn into an alcoholic and it took 20 years of not becoming one to convince her otherwise. She came from a culture which saw the evils of alcohol, and I came from one which saw the joys of it. We did not let it become a family split. It's not a big spiritual deal.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Speaking strictly for myself (following on Leaf), the humor came from the fact that NJA and others of his inclination usually argue that the "plain sense" of scripture is obvious to any reasonable person. To see him resorting to extreme symbolic exegesis (or eisegesis, actually) to get the desired result was amusing. Because that's exactly what conservatives routinely accuse liberals of doing. I wasn't involved in the discussion, but I was enjoying the spectacle.

I saw the irony in that, too. Bless his heart.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
But he's free to tee-total, if he likes, more health to him.

Of course. I don't think anyone felt strongly they needed to persuade him to have a drink. On the other hand he could do with understanding that that's not a biblical position and not judging the Christianity of others on the basis that they do drink.

But like I say, that's not going to happen. Well, not as a consequence my posting on a thread anyway.

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who extol abstinence on scriptural grounds, surely the wedding at Cana must be a terrible embarrassment?

Unlike our modern day truncated affairs, it would probably have lasted about a week and the guests would have been extrememly merry given how much alcohol Jesus donated.

I have also heard it said that one reason that the apostles were so tiried in Gethsemane was the sheer amount they drank at the passover.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
humblebum
Shipmate
# 4358

Scroll up the thread for more info Sebby.

NJA's take on the Wedding at Cana is that it didn't really matter that the guests were celebrating with alcohol, since they weren't "Spirit-filled Believers" (so to speak).

Jesus might have even given them more alcoholic wine - with a clear conscience as well, because he hadn't gotten round to giving them the Holy Spirit, so imbibing one of the next best things wasn't so bad.

(I don't think this is the standard Christian teetotaller viewpoint, but it is one view).

---
I'd also like make it clear that I wasn't trying to convince NJA to abandon abstinence. (And incidentally NJA - no, no-one here is saying that not drinking alcohol makes you a legalist).

But I had hoped that we could help him reflect on whether his "no alcohol for Christians" position had a particularly solid basis in Scripture. (Which is not in any way to say that a position of "no alcohol for me" is a bad one). Like Ender's Shadow said, such a lack of engagement with the text is discouraging for a self-professed Evangelical.

[edited for speeling - I must lay off the sauce while posting [Biased] ]

[ 16. June 2010, 13:12: Message edited by: humblebum ]

--------------------
humblebum

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Scroll up the thread for more info Sebby.

NJA's take on the Wedding at Cana is that it didn't really matter that the guests were celebrating with alcohol, since they weren't "Spirit-filled Believers" (so to speak).

Jesus might have even given them more alcoholic wine - with a clear conscience as well, because he hadn't gotten round to giving them the Holy Spirit, so imbibing one of the next best things wasn't so bad.

(I don't think this is the standard Christian teetotaller viewpoint, but it is one view).

The really fascinating implication of this point of view is that Jesus gave the wine.

So Jesus gave them a bad thing... except somehow it wasn't bad for them because they weren't Christians... so while it's 'bad' it can't be SINFUL, because otherwise that would mean that some things are only sinful for saved people, for the unsaved it's not actually a sin (and therefore something they don't need saving from)... and also, it would have meant Jesus used a miracle to create a temptation...

Frankly, I'm surprised the entire universe didn't just explode.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

So Jesus gave them a bad thing... except somehow it wasn't bad for them because they weren't Christians... so while it's 'bad' it can't be SINFUL, because otherwise that would mean that some things are only sinful for saved people, for the unsaved it's not actually a sin (and therefore something they don't need saving from)... and also, it would have meant Jesus used a miracle to create a temptation...

No, not at all. I think you have missed his entire point.

As an analogy there is nothing wrong with giving medicine to sick people, but its pointless or harmful giving it to well people.

NJA's position is that being a Christian makes you spiritually "well" so you don't need the consolations of this world any more, because the Holy Spirit is so much better.

The obvious implication of this is that so-called Christians who choose to drink alcohol are not really Christians at all because if they were they wouldn't want to. NJA has not gone that far on this thread but I suspect he might believe it and it looks very likely that his chuirch might teach it.

I can;t think why the same logic wouldn't apply to Christians who use other worldly or fleshly pleasures. Cuddling a teddy bear? Eating expensive food? Watching TV (apart perhaps from news)? Reading novels? Masturbation? Dancing? Smoking? Gambling? Horseracing? Marmalade on toast? Tea? Chocolate? Fashionable clothes? Marriage? Sex other than for procreation? Cuddles without sex? Music other than church music? Illegal drugs? Sport? Arguing with strangers online? Growing flowers rather than food in your garden?

--------------------
Ken

Christian Agnostic
Shipmate
# 14912

- Posted      Profile for Christian Agnostic   Email Christian Agnostic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Thou knowest, Lord, the secrets of our hearts." I really can't say what is going on in NJA's head and heart. I don't believe he's trinitarian, so I tend to think that he's barely, if at all, a part of the Body of Christ, but my hope is that the Lord Jesus will forgive him. We should all pray for him.

The trouble with pentecostalism is that the theology is always tied up with feelings, and feelings of joy, happiness etc. are proof of the indwelling of the Spirit. If one is not experiencing good feelings, then one is not possesing the Holy Spirit but. rather, in thrall to Satan.

This sort of circular logic leads to all sorts of legalistic thinking. There are those who believe insurance is evil, as a "true" Christian need only trust God. The same holds true for those who shun medical treatment. To me, this reeks of "Works Righteousness".

Two questions I'd like to ask NJA:

1. Do you get treated by medical doctors when you are ill?

2. From the time you received the Holy Spirit, have you ever sinned?

--------------------
Words to the wise: Don't read Kierkegaard when you're 16, and always set B.S. detectors to 11. "How can I sing a strange song in the Lord's land?"

Posts: 493 | From: The Great North Woods | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally Posted by ken:
I can;t think why the same logic wouldn't apply to Christians who use other worldly or fleshly pleasures. Cuddling a teddy bear? Eating expensive food? Watching TV (apart perhaps from news)? Reading novels? Masturbation? Dancing? Smoking? Gambling? Horseracing? Marmalade on toast? Tea? Chocolate? Fashionable clothes? Marriage? Sex other than for procreation? Cuddles without sex? Music other than church music? Illegal drugs? Sport? Arguing with strangers online? Growing flowers rather than food in your garden?

Freakin' stoics ruined Christianity through the church fathers...
Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Christian Agnostic:
I really can't say what is going on in NJA's head and heart. I don't believe he's trinitarian, so I tend to think that he's barely, if at all, a part of the Body of Christ,

Is that meant to be an ironic reflection of his argument? Because I don't find it written anywhere that you get saved for understanding trinitarian theology. Or for subscribing to any doctrine at all. That's just replacing one work with another.

(Agreement with the rest of your post of course)

--------------------
Ken

Christian Agnostic
Shipmate
# 14912

- Posted      Profile for Christian Agnostic   Email Christian Agnostic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Christian Agnostic:
I really can't say what is going on in NJA's head and heart. I don't believe he's trinitarian, so I tend to think that he's barely, if at all, a part of the Body of Christ,

Is that meant to be an ironic reflection of his argument? Because I don't find it written anywhere that you get saved for understanding trinitarian theology. Or for subscribing to any doctrine at all. That's just replacing one work with another.

(Agreement with the rest of your post of course)

Maybe I should change my screen name to Jonathan Swift [Snigger]

--------------------
Words to the wise: Don't read Kierkegaard when you're 16, and always set B.S. detectors to 11. "How can I sing a strange song in the Lord's land?"

Posts: 493 | From: The Great North Woods | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think NJA has left this thread. His last post was on Saturday, June 12.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He left a marvellous legacy.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Moo

Probably gone to the pub.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Moo

Probably gone to the pub.
[Killing me] carrying a large placard with a badly-spelled quotation from scripture in wobbly capital letters.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Such as 'Ho, come to the waters, everyone who thirsts' with the spelling as 'Hoe'.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having read most of pages 1 and 2 and bits of three I'm going risk repeating what someone else may have already said. 1 Cor 11.17-22 says,

quote:
17In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good. 18In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it. 19No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval. 20When you come together, it is not the Lord's Supper you eat, 21for as you eat, each of you goes ahead without waiting for anybody else. One remains hungry, another gets drunk. 22Don't you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you for this? Certainly not!
So, NJA, two questions:

1) What were people getting drunk on at these suppers (v.20-21)?
2) What sort of drink is Paul suggesting one may drink at home (v.22)?

It seems to me that Paul is saying 1) that drunkenness at church meetings through excess consumption of alcoholic wine invalidates the eucharist at those meetings. And 2) that the drinking of wine (presumably alcoholic on the basis of v.21) is an acceptable practice in the home.

How do you read the text?

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent Numpty - a scriptural argument that is new, at least to me. May I suggest you PM NJA and see if you can encourage him to show that he really is an Evangelical?

--------------------

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty:

It seems to me that Paul is saying 1) that drunkenness at church meetings through excess consumption of alcoholic wine invalidates the eucharist at those meetings. And 2) that the drinking of wine (presumably alcoholic on the basis of v.21) is an acceptable practice in the home.

(I've been busy at a new job & too tired to do much at home)

Good point Numpty, I read it that they were getting drunk on alcohilic wine in meetings and Paul is saying if you want to get drunk, do it at home.

I'd say Paul is allowing them to drink alcohol at home, not condoning or encouraging it. Before you think that that contradicts my belief that Christians shouldn't drink any alcohol please cosider the following:

(1) "No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better." (Luke 5:39)

- it takes a while to appreciate that the "new" is better.

(2) The Corinthians were still immature Christians, in some ways worse than the heathen.
Paul knew they wouldn't be able to accept the saying "no alcohol" so he helps them in other areas so that they will see for themselves.

In our church we often find this. People take a whole to see that they no longer have any need for alcohol, nicotine or their old religious ideas & traditions. By focusing on the new rather than just saying "don't do x, y z" we help them see the new Life and don't need us to tell them not to.

Posts: 1283 | From: near London | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

It seems to me, NJA, that you're not too far from the position that the bible doesn't in fact teach abstinence all that clearly, because it would have been too tough in that social/cultural context. But we can take it now.

I wonder what else there might be in the bible that isn't all that clear, but we can deal with now?

Quite exciting, this progressive revelation and re-interpretation stuff, isn't.

Liberating really. Some would say intoxicatingly so.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In our church we often find this. People take a whole to see that they no longer have any need for alcohol, nicotine or their old religious ideas & traditions. By focusing on the new rather than just saying "don't do x, y z" we help them see the new Life and don't need us to tell them not to.

(emphasis added) This sounds frighteningly like the modus operandi of a wife-beater, or a cult. Separate you from all your old way of life and program you with ours. Do they not need their old friends, either?

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or, at the very least, do they not need some very good, old French Brandy?

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
.. or their old religious ideas & traditions. ..This sounds frighteningly like the modus operandi of a wife-beater, or a cult. Separate you from all your old way of life and program you with ours. Do they not need their old friends, either?

Only to your way of thinking.
Separation is sometimes essential.

Failure to recognise the power of ingrained beliefs and habits may mean that you yourself are still under their influence.

Revelation does warn about people who are "drunk" on the wine of the spiritual fornication of false Christianity. Like literal wine it obscures the judgement & gives people a false sense of security.

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Having read most of pages 1 and 2 and bits of three I'm going risk repeating what someone else may have already said. 1 Cor 11.17-22 says,

quote:
17In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good. 18In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it. 19No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval. 20When you come together, it is not the Lord's Supper you eat, 21for as you eat, each of you goes ahead without waiting for anybody else. One remains hungry, another gets drunk. 22Don't you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you for this? Certainly not!
So, NJA, two questions:

You mean, you didn't read my quote from the same passage on page one of this thread?

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=014532;p=1#000005

Given that nobody paid any attention when I said it, it needed saying again.

--------------------

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

Yes - sorry MSHB, I did overlook your reference to this passage earlier [Hot and Hormonal]
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Good point Numpty, I read it that they were getting drunk on alcohilic wine in meetings and Paul is saying if you want to get drunk, do it at home.

I'd say Paul is allowing them to drink alcohol at home, not condoning or encouraging it.

With respect to MSHB, this text was cited on page one. However, with regard to your reading, I have to disagree. Paul is most certainly not saying, "if you want to get drunk, do it at home." That would be a total contradiction of Ephesians 5:18a where Paul says, "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery"

What is clear from the passage, then, is this:

1) Alcoholic wine was used being used at the Lord's Supper.
2) The Corinthian Christians were spiritually immature and this showed itself primarily in greed, inequality and overindulgence.
3) That Paul is OK with consumption of alcohol (but not drunkenness) in the home.

I therefore submit to you that:

1) Alcoholic wine can legitimately be used at the Lord's Supper.
2) The Lord's Supper is not supposed to be a drunken bun-fight.
3) The Lord's Supper require restraint in the amount of alcohol that is consumed.
4) That alcohol can legitimately be consumed in the home, but not to the point of drunkenness.

This question now remains: what is the biblical definition of drunkenness?

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
The Corinthians were still immature Christians
Yes, Paul says this in the text of 1 Corinthians.

quote:
in some ways worse than the heathen.
Paul says as much in the text of 1 Corinthians.

quote:
Paul knew they wouldn't be able to accept the saying "no alcohol" so he helps them in other areas so that they will see for themselves.
This isn't in the text of 1 Corinthians and cannot be arrived at by reading the text of 1 Corinthians. It is, therefore, merely speculative. It has been illegitimately read into the text and, on that basis, must be rejected as false.
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

Thanks Numpty for that exegesis. I think we can draw a further conclusion. When Paul established the church at Corinth, he would have taught them to celebrate the Lord's supper. At that point he had TOTAL control over what happened at that event; for all the people in this new church, it was something completely new. Therefore he would have had the opportunity to introduce the use of any liquid that he felt like, and discourage the use of any he didn't. Despite that, the Corinthians are using alcoholic wine for the Lord's supper. Therefore the only reasonable interpretation is that Paul taught them to do so. It's surely inconceivable that he would have done so in the knowledge that such a liquid was inappropriate for their celebrations of the Lord's death... It therefore clearly follows that the use of alcohol for the Lord's supper has apostolic warrant.

I remain sympathetic to the concerns of Temperance movements in terms of the damage that alcohol does and the value of Christians modelling ways of having fun without its aid. But the legalistic attempts to impose not using it as sign of being a 'spiritual' Christian is fundamentally flawed and deeply unhealthy.

--------------------

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
Thanks Numpty for that exegesis. I think we can draw a further conclusion. When Paul established the church at Corinth, he would have taught them to celebrate the Lord's supper. At that point he had TOTAL control over what happened at that event; for all the people in this new church, it was something completely new. Therefore he would have had the opportunity to introduce the use of any liquid that he felt like, and discourage the use of any he didn't. Despite that, the Corinthians are using alcoholic wine for the Lord's supper. Therefore the only reasonable interpretation is that Paul taught them to do so. It's surely inconceivable that he would have done so in the knowledge that such a liquid was inappropriate for their celebrations of the Lord's death... It therefore clearly follows that the use of alcohol for the Lord's supper has apostolic warrant.

I think this is generally true about a lot of things in the early church. The NT church did not learn to celebrate the Lord's Supper from reading the scriptures, they learned it from the people (e.g. the apostles and their co-workers like Timothy and Titus) who preached the gospel, founded the local church, and taught the new converts how to do most church things - including the Lord's Supper. The NT scriptures were written decades after the first NT churches came into existence, and took this "foundational knowledge" for granted (especially when it was the same person who founded the church and then later wrote them an epistle to correct problems).

--------------------

k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the gnome:
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but doesn't the Gospel carefully avoid saying that the miracle at Cana actually produced wine? Aren't we just told that the people responded to it as if it were wine?

No. John 2:9: "When the steward tasted the water that had become wine, and did not know where it came from (though the servants who had drawn the water knew), the steward called the bridegroom..."

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
[T]he use of alcohol for the Lord's supper has apostolic warrant.

I agree. Yes, I think it does.

quote:
I remain sympathetic to the concerns of Temperance movements in terms of the damage that alcohol does and the value of Christians modelling ways of having fun without its aid. But the legalistic attempts to impose not using it as sign of being a 'spiritual' Christian is fundamentally flawed and deeply unhealthy.
Yes, I agree. The notion that abstinence from alcohol is taught as a condition of greater infilling with the Holy Spirit isn't scriptural. It's legalism. Scripture says that drunkenness is a sin, not the consumption of alcohol.
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
.. or their old religious ideas & traditions. ..This sounds frighteningly like the modus operandi of a wife-beater, or a cult. Separate you from all your old way of life and program you with ours. Do they not need their old friends, either?

Only to your way of thinking.
Separation is sometimes essential.

Failure to recognise the power of ingrained beliefs and habits may mean that you yourself are still under their influence.

Revelation does warn about people who are "drunk" on the wine of the spiritual fornication of false Christianity. Like literal wine it obscures the judgement & gives people a false sense of security.

I'm going with MouseThief on this one. Having been both in a cult and in abusive relationships, you're describing exactly the power trips taken to ensure separation of the victim from outside help and make the victim totally dependent on the abuser.

Now before anyone starts jumping on me, I'm not saying NJA is abusive or being abused or in a cult. What I am saying is these kind of thought patterns contribute to a culture where people turn a blind eye to abuses, physical, emotional, and spiritual.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

quote:
quote:
This isn't in the text of 1 Corinthians and cannot be arrived at by reading the text of 1 Corinthians. It is, therefore, merely speculative. It has been illegitimately read into the text and, on that basis, must be rejected as false.
I disagree with this form of exegesis, i.e. basing doctrine on one passage and refusing to temper it by what is said on the subject elsewhere.

I didn't read it into the text.
Paul had spent 3 years with the Corinthians, they knew masses more than in this one letter. The other scriptures must be understood also.

Consider:
"Others said, This is the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee?
Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was?" (John 7:41-42)

- see how people took one scripture and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Many others do the same with Genesis 6 & 7 that seem to preach a global flood.

The history of "Christianity" is littered with people who grabbed hold of 1 or 2 verses at the expense of others.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
The history of "Christianity" is littered with people who grabbed hold of 1 or 2 verses at the expense of others.

But that's just what you're doing. You grab hold of one verse from the end of Proverbs, and one verse about our being priests and kings, and develop a whole doctrine about growing out of "the need for" alcohol.

The argument supporting the Christian use of alcohol, on the other hand, is supported by a score of verses, as shown in this thread.

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I disagree with this form of exegesis, i.e. basing doctrine on one passage and refusing to temper it by what is said on the subject elsewhere.

Consider this. And then this. It seems to me that we're all rather black here. But some of us are willing to own up to it. Everybody interprets through an hermeneutic.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:

Paul had spent 3 years with the Corinthians, they knew masses more than in this one letter. The other scriptures must be understood also.

Consider:
"Others said, This is the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee?
Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was?" (John 7:41-42)

- see how people took one scripture and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Many others do the same with Genesis 6 & 7 that seem to preach a global flood.

Ahem.

Kings need to be sober to judge legal disputes... Christians are kings...

The opposite of 'refusing to temper a passage by what is said on the subject elsewhere' would be 'lumping two passages together just because they use the same word'.

EDIT: Also, the example you managed to pick was of people jumping to a wrong conclusion because they didn't have all the facts, NOT because they misinterpreted Scripture. They were perfectly correct in interpreting Scripture to mean that the Messiah would come from Bethlehem!!

[ 19. June 2010, 20:06: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Okay, I wasn't going to add this to my edit, but I feel compelled to say it.

How on earth can I trust the Bible interpretation skills, when the Bible is capable of many interpretations, of a person who can't even get LOGIC right? Who manages to pick an example to illustrate a point that is the complete opposite of what they're attempting to say?

Statement 1: The Messiah will come from Bethlehem. Category: interpretation of Scripture.

Statement 2: Jesus does not come from Bethlehem. Category: interpretation of facts.

Conclusion: Jesus is not the Messiah.

The Conclusion is wrong because (according to the Gospels) Statement 2 was wrong. There was nothing in the Scripture they were consulting that said "this bloke standing in front of you was actually born in Bethlehem, not Galilee". They could of consulted the Scriptures until the proverbial cows came home, and wouldn't have foud anything saying that. What they needed to consult was (ancient equivalent of) his birth certificate.

It's got nothing to do with 'picking one verse over another' because the verses saying that Jesus was born in Bethelehem weren't WRITTEN yet.

As I said, whatever small thought I might have had, NJA, that you could be onto something is utterly gone. Your grasp of logic is simply to weak for me to believe that the things you string together have any right to be connected to each other.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to clarify, a slightly more sophisticated argument (held by, for example, my own mother) by teetotalers is that wine can lead to drunkenness in some people, which is sin; Jesus, as God, would not cause people to sin; therefore, Jesus couldn't have been involved in providing alcoholic wine (at Cana) or prescribing it (at the Last Supper).

Of course, one gaping hole in that argument is that by creating grapes, yeast, and the fermentation process, God is eventually behind all the drunkenness in human history, if you want to talk about giving occasion to sin. But then again, what God does in creation and allows in the fall aren't the same as what God would or should do in the flesh in Jesus Christ.

That said, I'm in the alcoholic camp here. [Biased] That is, I think the NT means wine with alcohol.

It was, as I understand it, the custom to dilute wine for certain purposes - e.g., table wine at dinner. This seems to be preserved in the custom of adding water to the wine at the Eucharist (for which "theological" reasons were later added).

But a textual reading of the wedding at Cana is all we need here. Not only were the guests getting drunk on the wine that was served before, but the host said Jesus' wine was better. Just try handing unfermented grape juice to revelers who are half in the bag and see if they prefer it to the wine they'd been drinking!

I'm fine with the use of unfermented grape juice for Communion; it allows recovering alcoholics to partake of the cup. (It probably doesn't kill germs as well, though, so use of a common cup might be more iffy.) But we should just be honest that that's what we're doing, if that's what we do, and not try to paste it back into the biblical text as if we needed our practice to be found literally in the Bible. As I understand it, the reason for insisting on using alcoholic wine is concern for the validity of the Sacrament. If you think of Communion as only symbolic and an act of obedience, I can't imagine substituting non-fermented grape juice for wine would be frowned upon by Our Lord! (Then again, I also can't imagine it would invalidate the Sacrament, but that's pretty far down on the list of reasons I will never be Pope.)

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes you did. What you said didn't come from the text of 1 Corinthians and cannot be inferred from any other New Testament text either. You simply made it up.

Also, the primary goal of exegesis is to exegete the text. The Apostolic text in question is 1 Corinthians. You will see that I have quoted from Ephesians already in support of Paul's opposition to drunkenness. I therefore still maintain that you simply cannot support the assertion you've made from any biblical text. So, NJA, the burden of proof still lies with you, and I ask you: on what biblical text do you base your assertion that,
quote:
"Paul knew they wouldn't be able to accept the saying "no alcohol" so he helps them in other areas so that they will see for themselves."
?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016