homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Mafia on the Planet Dimthing Tourist Bus (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  32  33  34 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Mafia on the Planet Dimthing Tourist Bus
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright, let's see how far Hophtrig's big mouth opens. Why do you keep laying out scenarios in which you look guilty, while any rational being would try to show their innocence? If you're not guilty, then tell us who is—both of them. If you are guilty, who's your accomplice? I want to hear you work through this.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hophtrig has no clue who is naughty, Hophtrig really doesn't. Maybe because Hophtrig is worried about people accusing Hophtrig, Hophtrig thinks too much about the ways people might accuse Hophtrig. Hophtrig will talk through Hophtrig's thoughts about how each of Hophtrig's friends on board could be guilty.

Codine: Codine keeps fairly quiet, but recently engaged Hophtrig in conversation about Ios' theories. If Codine is naughty, Codine is hiding in plain sight, watching nasty plans unfold. If Codine was Hophtrig's accomplice, Hophtrig and Codine are working together to obfuscate theories by discussing them to death.

Zapaterietxe: Zapaterietxe provides good amounts of analysis. Zapaterietxe has claimed to be the innocent unreadable, which makes no difference now that the detectives are gone. No-one has bothered to counter this claim, for fear that would make them look guilty. If Zapaterietxe is naughty, his analysis is so clever that no good people have noticed vital points he has missed (no Hophtrig cannot name such points, in this theory, Hophtrig is either too clever or too naughty to name or disclose). If Zapaterietxe is Hophtrig's accomplice, Zapaterietxe has been saying Hophtrig doesn't look naughty, then that Hophtrig's strategy would be insane for a naughty one which leads the good friends away from Hophtrig.

The Graffin, Ekaterina. The Graffin is, as is Zapaterietxe, an undisputed genius. The Graffin is also analytical, but analyses with an accent, which makes the Graffin's analysis a little harder to understand - the Graffin's analysis may be as flawed as Zapaterietxe's was in the last scenario. If the Graffin is working with a naughty Hophtrig, then the Graffin is playing a similar strategy to Hophtrig, point out Hophtrig's naughtiness, but then list someone else, Choey, as naughtier, so if a naughty Hophtrig gets thrown the Graffin does not look naughty, as the Graffin "told you so".

Otto: Otto keeps very quiet and provides little analysis, thus hiding Otto's true motives. If Otto is working with a naughty Hophtrig, then Otto and Hophtrig are firing counter accusations at eachother to make the reasons for nomination look more petty than serious.

Choey: Seems amiable and simple, may be secretly sinister and devious. Choey's friendly manner may
mask naughtiness. If Choey is working with a naughty Hophtrig, Choey's vendetta against Hophtrig is designed as a divide and conquer strategy to save one of them, if one gets thrown and is naughty, no-one would think Hophtrig and Choey are working together.

Ios: If Ios is naughty, Ios' analysis hides deficiencies. Ios' self professed confusion excuses these. If Ios is working with a naughty Hophtrig, Ios is using her friendship with Hophtrig to paint Hophtrig as nice, friendly and good, deflecting negative attention from Hophtrig, as such attention is no longer on Ios.

John: If John is naughty, John has been exceptionally lucky that Crimson alluded to John as Crimson did. John is also lucky that the real doctor has not challenged John's claim to be a doctor, possibly in fear for their life. If John is working with a naughty Hophtrig, John is using John's trusted status to steer votes away from Hophtrig.

How was that, Zapaterietxe, has Hophtrig helped?

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Choey finds it interesting that there has only been one nomination so far, despite several passengers expressing their doubts about Codine. The opaque servant of the dark Lord was on my alarmingly suspicious list alongside Hophtrig, and I probably need to add the Grafinn to that list now that she has led the charge to have me thrown off the bus. Perhaps Lady Celandine's final words need re-examining.

I did consider not nominating anyone at all, but figured that would be interpreted as the action of a guilty and resigned mafioso. Nominating Codine will no doubt bring a heap of accusations down upon me too, as I am perceived as being guilty by almost all of those left on this tour. You will soon discover that I come from a truthful species, and I sincerely want the innocents to win. To that end, I will vote after John again, even if this is to my detriment.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alban:
How was that, Zapaterietxe, has Hophtrig helped?

I can't speak for Zapaterietxe, but yes, this has been helpful. You've done a great job telling us how you could be guilty.

Hophtrig, how do you plead?

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
...and I probably need to add the Grafinn to that list now that she has led the charge to have me thrown off the bus.

And yet you don't say the same about Zapaterietxe, who has been on your case for several days now. Nor I, who has had you on the suspicious list just as long, if not longer.

You refuse to answer simple, reasonable questions. You look suspicious to the four known innocents. Honestly, if the Grafinn hadn't nominated you, Zapaterietxe might have, and if not he, then I. Of the four suspects, you seem like the one most likely to be possessed.

I've nominated Hophtrig, but I haven't made my final decision yet. As far as I'm concerned, things just got interesting.

[ 01. April 2014, 11:14: Message edited by: Barefoot Friar ]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
As far as I'm concerned, things just got interesting.

Good, because for the rest of us consigned to just reading the thread, everyone's been going round and round in tentative "logic based but trying not to look too suspicous" circles for far too long.

[ 01. April 2014, 12:32: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Codine raises an eyebrow. "My master is anything but a dark lord. Rather overly pale actually as he doesn't get nearly enough sun. He is a lord though I won't recite all his titles for you as it would waste ten minutes.
Re the nomination: Honestly, it feels like an awful lot like a response nomination since I've been pondering whether Choey is guilty. I've done my best to analyze each person and try to figure out who's guilty. Surely you can find something more guilty about me (or any other innocent) than my back story or the fact that I don't tend to producing an abundance of light comments and chatter?

Re nominations, may I make my usual warning about avoiding having so many nominations that we make it easier for subtle people to split the vote?"

[ 01. April 2014, 14:11: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before saying anything on any of our nominees, I am trying to find time to work through the possible pairs for the remaining two Possessed and see if the results tell me anything. That's 10 pairs for me, given my certain knowledge of my own innocence and my trust that we don't have any lunatic Innocents clutching undeclared roles to their chest -- so John The Less and Zapaterietxe are as good as clear as Innocents also.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hophtrig alway loves to be helpful, Hophtrig does.
But maybe, John, the prizes for helpfulness should be a bit nicer. Look at that beautiful spring you have for nominating Ja'ayem.
This time round, Hophtrig has something very special for the person who nominates a naughty, once that naughty leaves the bus. It's the on button from the front console, the same On button Hophtrig and Lovely Lesley found and pushed a while ago, use it to remember Lovely Lesley.
Sadly, today, John will not be winning the prize, Hophtrig hopes someone does.
Hophtrig explained why Hophtrig nominated Otto. Hophtrig suggested Otto from the beginning and nominated and voted for Otto (sorry Otto). Hophtrig missed Reppik Tew when Hophtrig did this. Hophtrig has realised how blinkered Hophtrig was, and is trying to listen to the clever ones now, not to push Hophtrig's own thinking, which hasn't worked out too well. Hophtrig has spent this trip trying to be helpful. Hophtrig has voiced Hophtrig's thoughts, Hophtrig has voiced even the impossible scenarios, so Hophtrig's friends could look at them more easily. Hophtrig has not done anything sneaky, bad or naughty. Hophtrig loves all Hophtrig's friends, those we have lost, and those who are still on this bus with Hophtrig.
Hophtrig has a big Hophtrig hug for you, John, and for everyone, Choey, Ios, the Graffin, Otto, Codine (but not for Zapaterietxe, as incorporeal beings have not much to hug).
Hophtrig imagines Reppik Tew (Hophtrig almost felt Reppik tangibly in the air) and Ja'ayem watching over us and laughing at all the friends' confusion. If Hophtrig has made us more confused, Hophtrig is sorry.

--------------------

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Otto asks a question. Our we doubly and triply sure that claimed roles for John and Zapa are true?

Otto asks another question. Are we being led to suspect Hophtrig truly or falsely?

Otto asks also, if anything about question 2 applies to Choey and Codine? Or Grafinn for that matter.

Otto then asks if we are into a guessing game.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
Good, because for the rest of us consigned to just reading the thread, everyone's been going round and round in tentative "logic based but trying not to look too suspicous" circles for far too long.

Amen.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
...and I probably need to add the Grafinn to that list now that she has led the charge to have me thrown off the bus.

And yet you don't say the same about Zapaterietxe, who has been on your case for several days now. Nor I, who has had you on the suspicious list just as long, if not longer.

You refuse to answer simple, reasonable questions. You look suspicious to the four known innocents. Honestly, if the Grafinn hadn't nominated you, Zapaterietxe might have, and if not he, then I. Of the four suspects, you seem like the one most likely to be possessed.

I've nominated Hophtrig, but I haven't made my final decision yet. As far as I'm concerned, things just got interesting.

Please advise me of the "simple reasonable questions" I have not answered. I have explained my actions all along. The fact that my explanations have not been accepted is not from want of trying on my side, dumb though I may be.

No, I did not nominate you or Zapatarietxe, because you two, if you care to refer to my list of suspicious passengers, are on the "Generally accepted to be innocent" side, even though you have both declared you neither trust nor like me. You may find this hard to believe, but I do not want an innocent passenger to be tossed off this bus. I did not nominate Otto or Ios because they are on my "probably innocent" list. The two who were on my "alarmingly suspicious" list were Hophtrig and Codine. Had I nominated Hophtrig, everyone would simply have voted for me, as Hophtrig is a much more likeable character. Amusing, distracting, and still highly suspicious; if he is mafia, he is doing a brilliant job. In a head to head against him, I know I would lose.

I did not wish to be the only nominee, so I targetted the other passenger on my "alarmingly suspicious" list. Codine has only recently begun to talk. It would be good for Codine to talk more. If I am uncertain of how to vote when voting time comes, or there has been a certain majority against me, I will simply vote TESS. But I will wait for John and Zapatarietxe to lead the charge, so you may be certain I am not trying to split the vote, or lead others away from an individual.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Otto wants to make sure we are not led down the garden path by our thinking into nominating a wrong one or voting for a wrong one. Otto thinks the FBC has narrowed it down to 2 possible Bad Ones.

But Otto is hesitant to cast the first vote.

Which is a parable from Planet 11, rather about fishing, which everyone knows is symbolic and not just about fishing. And casting the first line, and how only those who've never eaten fish should cast the first line, and they can eat loaves instead. But some aspects of said parable are confused in Otto's brains (he has 2½ brains) because he was considering the other famous Planet 11 speech about Blessed are the Square Dancers because they have sharp corners. Which of course means really all dancers, and some even include musicians and those who don't dance and just clap time, and even others include those who've never danced and don't even know what dancing is. But we should try to keep in time and dance together with all dancers even if they don't have sharp corners because charity and kindness is something that there's just too little of, and what the world needs now is love sweet love. Etc.

Let Otto know if he should comment more about which two he thinks of just now. The FBC has said he should be brave, because apparently there is a peanut gallery which likes Action. And the FBC likes peanuts.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ios would like to know what Otto thinks. Or Ios could just sit here and watch the FBC photosynthesize and wave in the breeze (Dimthing Tours apparently provide all mod cons on their buses, including breezes. Very nice.)

--------------------
Truth

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Otto has thought even more. He thinks the list is Hophtrig and Choey, with a weird but incomplete feeling about Codine. He feels more certain about Ios' goodness than Codine's.

The FBC has told Otto that the Grafinn is in the backgound just now, and Otto has only the idea that the FBC is intuitive about this with only a feeling to guide it. If the results of the pontifications and singing result in unexpected results, Otto may have dance and really tank up on raisins.

Otto has also received a notification that on Thurs and Friday, he may be a little busy because his boring real life friend has to travel for another medical test about 1½ hours away and maybe has to stay in a bed not his own and get another test after that and hopefully nothing cut off or out on the basis of that! So Otto is sort of hurrying his discussion along to be a good fellow traveller in this rather difficult to see where we are headed bus trip just now.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Geists are right; we're going in circles, second-guessing ourselves, and getting nowhere. One really good "we screwed up," and we're too afraid to actually stand by our convictions? Even I've turned scared and uncertain.

Remember, we've only lynched someone innocent once.

So, let's have it out: that Choey looks guilty is something we agree on. Her only defense, the only reason we're hesitating, is that we could be wrong. Yes, of course we could be. There are three creatures in the dock, and not more than two of them could possibly be Possessed. Just from that alone, one of them has to be innocent—there is at least one wrong choice there.

But appearances, the evidence, are all we have to judge by. So, no more timidity. No more second guessing. Choey, I've maintained for several days and nights that you're guilty, and I've yet to see a proper refutation; for starters, try the questions I mentioned here for about the umpteenth time, questions that you characterized as "filibustering." I also note that Ja'ayem's group of possible Possessed contained neither you nor Hophtrig—which might be evidence of his guilt, perhaps, but not of your innocence. I also look at your "well, I suppose the accusations against a fellow innocent are going to come at me" act as an attempt to stifle discussion.

So today, I'm following my conviction; no more distractions, no more waffling. It's time to show you the airlock.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Choey levered her enormous hindquarters out of the seat and loped delicately down to the airlock.

She pulled a large cake box and an ice bucket out of her pouch, followed by a magnum of the best Australian sparkling wine, some champagne flutes and eight gold rimmed cake plates.

Then she pointed her explainiator at the ceiling. "It appears I will most likely be leaving you shortly, and so I would like us to share a last drink before I go. I raise my glass to those much cleverer than I. You have made everyone on board prefer the company of the possessed - truly masterful. May you all receive your just desserts. Black Forrest cake, anyone?"

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Codine smiles. "I could make sure I make regular daily noise at you even when I don't have any new insights, if that would make you feel safer. I don't think it would make you actually any safer though.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I found Codine's post looking at who might have been killed, to be odd.

Codine says he had already written it and didn't want it to go to waste. Why was it already written?

Codine also left John The Less off the list. Why that oversight?

One possible explanation is that (a) the Possessed targeted John last night, and were foiled; and (b) Codine is Possessed; and (c) Codine prepared the document in advance in order to be able to post it in order to seem to be like an Innocent person trying to figure things out; and (d) Codine didn't include John because he expected him to be dead; and (e) Codine forgot to add John into the document after John turned up alive.

This all depends on whether John was in fact the person protected last night.

I don't actually quite understand the embargo on simply saying who was protected last night. That's not giving the Possessed any information they don't have already -- unless we think maybe the Possessed didn't launch any attack at all last night.

If John is not the one who was protected, then my elaborate 5-point suspicion will collapse and vanish like smoke in the wind.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I've been trying to look at all the possible combinations. But it seems like it's useless. I would have to have some theory of how the Possessed would behave in order to get any traction in weighing various combinations. Unfortunately, it seems to me that many behaviors are possible.

The five possibly Possessed that I'm considering are, in no particular order, Choey, Hophtrig, Codine, Eliabulon, Otto.

I started by considering the 10 possible pairs of Possessed:

Choey, Hophtrig
Choey, Codine
Choey, Eliabulon
Choey, Otto
Hophtrig, Codine
Hophtrig, Eliabulon
Hophtrig, Otto
Codine, Eliabulon
Codine, Otto
Eliabulon, Otto

Then I thought that it was hopeless that if Eliabulon is involved I would ever catch him. So I eliminated all the pairs with Eliabulon, as being a futile time-waster for me to consider. That left me with 6 pairs:

Choey, Hophtrig
Choey, Codine
Choey, Otto
Hophtrig, Codine
Hophtrig, Otto
Codine, Otto

Then I started to examine them:

Choey-Hophtrig? But Choey led off the Reppik Tew voting with a vote against Hophtrig! How could they both be Possessed? No problem, it was a big alibi-building plot. A risky plot, but certainly possible.

Choey, Codine? Easily possible. Anything with Codine is possible if he was in reality detained at work for the Reppik Tew vote: his late vote was essentially forced for Reppik unless he wanted to really stand out.

And so on and so forth for the other pairs.

I suppose if I thought that Ja'ayem the Sympathiser wouldn't have voted to lynch a Possessed, then Otto can be removed from the lists. I'm not entirely sure I believe that, though. At this point I'm suspecting anyone and everyone of any concievable level of deception.

And if I thought that the Possessed and Sympathiser among them would not have let a vote proceed with two out of three of the nominees Possessed, but instead would have nominated an Innocent in addition, then that suggests that Otto and Hophtrig are both Innocent. That would leave the two Possessed to be found among Choey, Codine, and Eliabulon. (And if this is so, and Choey is Innocent, then it's Codine and Eliabulon, which for me is a terrifying idea.)

--------------------
Truth

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[OOC]

I'm going to be away, probably with very limited internet access, from Saturday to Wednesday (5th to 9th) and busy with work up till then. Just assume that IC Ekatarina is so shocked at seeing some actual analysis from Otto that she is temporarily speechless.

[/OOC]

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Will IC Ekaterina be able to vote this Dimthing Day?

Fascinating that in ze Wrik "Grafinn" is abbreviated "IC" [Biased] .

--------------------
Truth

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nominations are closed. Voting is open.
Nominees are:
Hophtrig (Alban) nominated by John the Less.
Codine (Gwai) nominated by Cho Bacca.
Cho Bacca (Banner Lady) nominated by Eliabulon.
And No Lynching.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

quote:
Originally spoken by Ios:

This all depends on whether John was in fact the person protected last night.

That was indeed the case. I was waiting to divulge that to see if anyone slipped.

Since I trust you, Ios, I'm applauding you for a great catch. Laissez les bon temps rouler! (French: Let the good times roll!)

[ 02. April 2014, 21:38: Message edited by: Barefoot Friar ]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Otto has read his respected fellow passenger Ios' writings, and has run it all by the FBC. He thinks Ios's reasoning is rather good. But he wonders how Otto is paired up with Hophtrig as a pair of innocents when also Hophtrig has looked suspect. Otto likes (as in feels) the idea the Hophtrig is Nice. Doesn't feel completely convinced. However, if he accepted this from Ios, he would be considering casting the vote for either of Codine or Choey. Otto thinks, mostly because several bellies of raisins make him brave and he has 5 tummies, that even if the parable says that he who hasn't eaten should cast the first fishing line, that he is almost ready to be heretical against the parable and cast first.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Otto has taken a another bunch of raisins, juggled them and seen how many of them he will catch successfully after that. The raisins are being used by him in a game of Wang Ho, which involves assigning numerical values to raisins and then adding the assigned values together in nonlinear format as the raisins are caught, whilst putting them along a number line. Some claim this is a form of divination. Otto has always liked the catching part. So he catches them and eats them. The numerical values he assigned have led him to be confident, in a way. He says he will vote for Codine.

The FBC offers no opinion, but does offer Otto a feather to hold. So Otto holds a feather and bravely eats another raisin.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Will IC Ekaterina be able to vote this Dimthing Day?

I probably vill.

I am now thinking vether Otto is genuinely convinced by Ios's analysis of Codine's views, or trying to head off ze vote against Choey.

I vould like to hear Codine's answer to Ios before I conclude zat zis is indeed a meaningful error, because I do not expect mistakes from Codine. I think it vould be foolish to vote before hearing zis.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
I am now thinking vether Otto is genuinely convinced by Ios's analysis of Codine's views, or trying to head off ze vote against Choey.

Or the two remaining Possessed are Otto and Codine, and Otto is working to build a cast-iron claim to be Innocent.

--------------------
Truth

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Otto was convinced by Ios. The FBC said this was obvious. And the FBC quoted the famous Planet 11 saying to him "enough talk - an act!". So he did it. Otto is innocent, there's nothing Otto has done to suggest anything different is there? Otto knows he could be wrong, and if, this evening, someone told him more convincingly than Ios did, he would change his vote. Or if Ios told Otto who he should vote for, he would do it, and switchy changey. Otto also asks what you might have said it he had typed "Choey", because he very nearly did, and as he noted, it was a divination process via Wang Ho, that famous Planet 11 game, to select Codine.

(Otto is also extraneously affected in his decision to vote just now and not delay by his fako pretend persona who unfortunately has fewer stomachs and legs and has to go, as mentioned above, on a journey to get more medical testing done. Tomorrow. And may have to stay in a place much less friendly than the bus.)

[ 02. April 2014, 23:13: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

Hophtrig thinks Ios was not attacking Otto when Ios made that statement, but suggesting a possibility the Graffin forgot.
Hophtrig is in favour of laying all available possibilities on the table, even if they aren't true and might harm Hophtrig, because that means those possibilities are thought about there and then, and don't suddenly appear later. When things pop up, generally someone tries to blame someone else for not mentioning them, which makes the whole thing more suspicious and dangerous.
There is definitely a Hophtrig hug here for Otto, and I think Hophtrig joins all his friends on the bus in wishing Otto's imaginary No Prophet friend all the best for the upcoming journey.

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

quote:
There is definitely a Hophtrig hug here for Otto, and I think Hophtrig joins all his friends on the bus in wishing Otto's imaginary No Prophet friend all the best for the upcoming journey.

Hear, hear!

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Choey

(Friggin' finally, after all these sudden diversions)

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

Cho Bacca gets my vote this round.

Ios makes a good point about Codine, but I want to think about it more.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Choey

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Hophtrig thinks Ios was not attacking Otto when Ios made that statement, but suggesting a possibility the Graffin forgot.

And it's completely terrifying to be thinking of levels of deception that apparently Eliabulon forgot. It makes me doubt the Grafinn's Innocence. Eliabulon also didn't agree with me about the level of deception that Ja'ayem might have been running, but I am not entirely convinced by Eliabulon's view.

--------------------
Truth

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Okay says Otto, I am good with Choey too. "The FBC and me", says Otto, "we can't actually know, but if Choey is innocent, Otto will cry, because Wang Ho told me so."

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I don't know if Otto is allowed to change his vote. But we are glad Otto is still here on the bus and not yet preoccupied with the adventures of his fictitious friend NP.

--------------------
Truth

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

Oh Choey, Hophtrig is crying.
I'll drink a glass with you, though I know I'm not cleverer than you. It is with a very heavy heart Hophtrig votes for one of Hophtrig's best friends on board. Hophtrig knows that, if Choey was chosen by the naughty mist that came aboard, it was not Choey's fault, and it does not make Choey any less Hophtrig's friend.
Hophtrig will genuinely miss Choey, Choey's pouch, Choey's enthusiasm, Choey's jumphugs. This bus trip has reached the pointy end, and Hophtrig is hurting a lot to say goodbye. Farewell, Choey, farewell.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

If Hophtrig has been possessed by the Naughty mist and turns out to be crying crocodile tears, Ios is going to bite Hophtrig in the ankle.

--------------------
Truth

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Otto will ask the FBC to do some suction cup featheration of that friendly Hophtrig if that happens too.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

Hophtrig would not do very well as a naughty person, Hophtrig is far too sentimental. If Hophtrig was naughty, and knew Choey was not, Hophtrig would fight hard not to doom his friend Choey.
Any nominations or votes Choey may have made, Hophtrig understands in the context of this trip. Hophtrig liked Choey from the moment Choey stepped aboard. Hophtrig is good, and is following the tide of belief that Choey is naughty (something that, yes, Hophtrig would say if he were naughty) and it pains Hophtrig to the core. Hophtrig is not crying any sort of reptilian tears over this one, Hophtrig is soft, furry and huggable, not scaly and cold-blooded. Hophtrig really will miss Choey.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Votes once cast cannot be changed.

Four votes for Choey. One for Codine.

[ 03. April 2014, 08:28: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Well, far be it from me to interrupt the excellent job that Zapatarietxe and John are doing for the mafia, but I'm afraid I cannot concur.
Codine

And Otto, I do love that you and the FBC cannot agree on this one.
Thank you. I am hoping you will play your flute as I exit. Waltzing Matilda might be appropriate.

[ 03. April 2014, 10:04: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Choey, if nothing else you have brought some sanity back to on-bus events by not voting for yourself. (Joostein and Ja'ayem, I'm looking at you. [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

There are going to be some awful lessons about human nature here, whether Choey is Innocent or Possessed.

If Choey is Innocent, for me it will show how easy it is to suspect someone who is very different from ourselves. It will also show it is easy to be very very very convinced of something, and be absolutely wrong: Zapaterietxe will be 3/4 against if Choey is Innocent.

If Choey is Possessed, it will suggest to me that I shouldn't listen to Beings' protestations of Innocence and should instead be hard as nails in brushing aside my doubts. But I don't like that conclusion. Nevertheless, if Choey is Possessed, I also think it will be deeply unsettling to me.

When Zapaterietxe voted for Choey in this round, after Otto had voted for Codine, and without Z even saying anything in reference to what I had said about Codine, I had to look several times to verify who had voted, and that this was one of our cleared Innocents by unchallenged role-claim. In fact (...awful thought occurs to Ios...) -- I'll be right back...

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

(...rushing back in after re-checking my PM from the Absolute a.k.a. Dafyd)

Sigh of relief.

It is not the case, as I suddenly feared, that I am the Unreadable Innocent and just hadn't realized it.

I'm just a plain Innocent, and Zapaterietxe is the Unreadable Innocent.

Choey, if you are Innocent, you will not have been sent after our engine in vain, because for the survivors we will have one more point of certain knowledge that we can use to hopefully create a team win for the Innocents. And we will have not only the knowledge of your Innocence, but also the knowledge to be able to read your posts, and posts about you, in light of that certain knowledge.

[ 03. April 2014, 13:35: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Well, since I know myself innocent, I will obviously be voting for Chooey.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Ios is preparing a list of questions for the debriefing room that Dimthing Bus Tours will undoubtedly have to provide for the confused passengers, living and dead, after this crazy bus trip. Top on the list:

How on earth do players of Real Lyfe ever come to trust each other? Is it just that in Real Lyfe 4/15 of the people you meet do not want you dead? Or are there other cues for trust and truth in the Real Lyfe app which don't hold on Bus Tours?

--------------------
Truth

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Sorry, lots of doctor's appointlments in the last few days, so not here as much as I'd like to be. Should be back now though.
quote:
I found Codine's post looking at who might have been killed, to be odd.

Codine says he had already written it and didn't want it to go to waste. Why was it already written?

Wrote it before I was called away from my desk. I only meant that now that I was back at my desk and saw what had been said, it seemed kind of useless. Figured whatever, it can't hurt. Think Codine is mafia, if you wish, but believe me the person behind Codine doesn't have nearly the patience for planning to compose such a thing beforehand.

quote:
Codine also left John The Less off the list. Why that oversight?

Because we knew he was innocent, so he wasn't a serious factor to be suspicious of. Forgot him.

quote:
One possible explanation is that (a) the Possessed targeted John last night, and were foiled; and (b) Codine is Possessed; and (c) Codine prepared the document in advance in order to be able to post it in order to seem to be like an Innocent person trying to figure things out; and (d) Codine didn't include John because he expected him to be dead; and (e) Codine forgot to add John into the document after John turned up alive.

OOC: Clever analysis, but nothing like me. I wouldn't write such a thing ahead of time, way way way too much work. I'd be a better player probably if I planned ahead, got out spreadsheets to keep track of votes, and reread everything five times. Honestly, I spend enough time on the ship as it is what with reading Purg and all. There is no way I'd do that as an innocent or a mobster.

[ 03. April 2014, 13:54: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Crap. Codine, and her OOC fictitious friend Clan Gwai, sound utterly convincing to me. Grrrr. So who the hell does that leave? The cheerful feckless duo, Hophtrig and Otto? Or Choey will turn out to be Possessed? Or Eliabulon really is Possessed?

Crap crap crap crap crap.

But what else is new? I'm easily convinced, and quite gullible. Oh, sorry, I can't use the g- word since it's not in the dictionary. And yes, I have been fooled by that hoary old joke about g and the dictionary, not once, not twice, but three times. Excuse me, I have to go check in the mirror to see if I see ELBILLUG tattooed across my forehead.

[Not only am I ELBILLUG, but I can't use punctuation either.]

[ 03. April 2014, 13:58: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  32  33  34 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016