homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Mafia on the Planet Dimthing Tourist Bus (Page 25)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  32  33  34 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Mafia on the Planet Dimthing Tourist Bus
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The FBC has suggested to Otto that we might go through each passenger one at a time and consider them.

Codine. Otto voted for Codine and would like to say he was smart to not to vote for Choey but it was more that Choey looked slightly better. That's it. Otto is hardly showing more guilt for that. Again he asserts his innocence and raisins.

So let's discuss Codine please. Sayeth Otto. Then each one in turn. Otto assigns a score now of 55% where the extra 5% tips toward thinking guilt. 0=innocent for certainly. 100=bad one for surelyness. What say you rest of you?

Someone else can decide who is next to discuss.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Hophtrig and Zapaterietxe, if you look a little higher on the page, you will find something that will help clear up confusions or uncertainties about which Dimthing day we are coming up to, or how many times Hophtrig has been nominated.

Guess what I was working from…
Sorry. I was misled by your "I think" which seemed to convey uncertainty, to me unexpected if someone were working from the Iist:
quote:
Originally posted by Zapaterietxe:
I think Hophtrig has been nominated by somebody (usually Lesley) every day but the first,

I'm glad the list was (I presume, since you worked from it) helpful.

[ 04. April 2014, 23:58: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Hophtrig sees in Zapaterietxe's axioms:

• 1. Hophtrig has adjusted Hophtrig's tactics, Hophtrig went from pushing strategy, to pushing a nomination, to hiding in the background. This was trying to deflect guilt.
  • 2. Hophtrig's been nominated every day. Hophtrig has weaseled out of all these dangers, because Hophtrig managed not to look most guilty.
  • 3. Hophtrig ditched his idee fixe, because Hophtrig's seeming vendetta against Otto made Hophtrig look guilty.
  • 4. Hophtrig is not looking hard enough for clues, but is saying Hophtrig is puzzled, instead.
Well, Hophtrig claims, in response to these points.
  • 1. Hophtrig's tactics have failed. Hophtrig postulated an idea on day one. This was shot down in flames. Hophtrig gave up on having ideas, Hophtrig doesn't like being called insane. The Otto affair similar - Hophtrig will get to that soon. Hophtrig has chosen to shut up and listen! Hophtrig is not clever enough to push his thinking.
  • 2. Occam's Razor OK, so those who look most guilty aren't necessarily the most. That said, those who have never looked most guilty (even if they have appeared guiltyish) are not necessarily guilty.
  • 3. As in point 1, Hophtrig's fixation with Otto netted Hophtrig a nomination from Hophtrig's first real friend, and meant Hophtrig missed voting for Reppik, someone now known as guilty. Hophtrig gave up trying to conclude things.
  • 4. Hophtrig is trying, really trying, to say things as Hophtrig sees them. But Hophtrig is not pushing conclusions. Hophtrig is scared. Hophtrig has got it wrong, really wrong.
Hophtrig is on the verge of giving up the fight. Hophtrig feels sad that Hophtrig has been endangered all along. Hophtrig knows Hophtrig annoys people, but Hophtrig not only doesn't want to die, but Hophtrig also doesn't want to see this bus taken over, if you let an innocent Hophtrig go, that's a real danger. Beware.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hophtrig loves Otto's idea.
Hophtrig's take: Codine has had some seemingly useful things to say, but Hophtrig thinks these are few and far between. Hophtrig would tend to rate Codine as a 60%, but the truth of the matter is, every friend on this bus would rate between 30 and 70% for Hophtrig.

--------------------

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure I have anything more to say than what I've said. Hophtrig and Otto Possessed makes everything that has happened and been said on this bus make sense to me. Other combinations of possible Possessed just lead me in convoluted circles.

Codine: his post replying to my post that proposed her as Possessed, sounded convincing to me. So I lean towards his Innocence.

Eliabulon thought Codine's explanation was too sketchy. I'm puzzled by how often recently I find myself not quite agreeing with Eliabulon. Previous touring members of Clan A.Road never disagreed with Clan Eliab. I don't know if this is because I've become a better thinker since Clan A.Road last took a bus tour, or I've become a worse thinker since then, or if Eliabulon is actually Possessed and I'm spotting the cracks in a false front. Or maybe I've just come to think in a different way, neither better nor worse. I'll wait till after we escape from this bus and know for sure about Eliabulon to think very much more about that.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Ios the Gender-Confused:
Codine: his post replying to my post that proposed her as Possessed, sounded convincing to me. So I lean towards his Innocence.

Sorry, Codine:
*proposed him as Possessed

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

How will you listen to both of us? Ios and Zapaterietxe think completely differently from each other.

[Wait, WTF? There was a post here a moment ago that I replied to.]

[ 05. April 2014, 00:56: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

Is Hophtrig wasting Hophtrig's breath?
Hophtrig is trying to answer things as best Hophtrig can. Hophtrig is starting to wonder if there is a lot of point. Hophtrig respects Ios a lot, John too. Zapaterietxe and Eliabulon Hophtrig likes listening to. Hophtrig is starting to feel doomed.
Hophtrig calls Otto a friend. Otto, the one who Hophtrig nominated, seems the least sure point of doom for Hophtrig.
But is all Hophtrig says now merely noise? Does Hophtrig need to be quiet and accept fate? But the big question is, could Hophtrig countenance giving up without a fight?

--------------------

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

Who said what you were responding to, Ios? Hophtrig suspects Ios might have met the end of a page, and replied to that, as Hophtrig nearly has before now?

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How will you listen to both of us? Ios and Zapaterietxe think completely differently from each other.

[Wait, WTF? There was a post here a moment ago that I replied to.]

Sorry, I deleted it because it needed a lot more work. Here's the new one:

I hear you Zapaterietxe. I don't have a blow-by-blow answer for you yet; I want to think on it a bit more. But I think I agree with you, and with Ios.

I think there is a difference between being of sound mind and purpose and not being swayed by distractions, on the one hand, and being so focused on something that it becomes an obsession or crusade, on the other. Then on the opposite side of the spectrum is either being finely attuned to what others are saying, versus being so unsure that one cannot decide -- waffling, in other words. I feel like all I've done, all game long, is waffle. I am about to change that. There are three suspects before us, I intend to see one off the bus tomorrow, no matter the protestations of innocence or fear or whatever else. I'm smart enough to listen to Zapa and Ios; if I miss something they will point it out.

What I'm getting at is that we do need to buckle down, not allow our lynching of an innocent get to us, and muscle through.

I note with extreme interest that Hophtrig is playing the guilt angle rather hard. "Oh, shame on you, you bad, bad people! You lynched an innocent! (Don't think about the fact that I voted for her, oh no.) Everyone is guilty of kicking an innocent off the bus!" And then the not-so-subtle "Everyone is a suspect!"

Yes, true, I did run down and lynch an innocent. Yes, I helped lead the charge. I do not feel remorse for that, because we had several Dimthing days (and many RealLyfe days) to consider, to talk, and to look at angles. I can see now she was trying to tell us, but she was doing so in a way that was very unhelpful and unconvincing.

So Hoppy doesn't want us to lynch another innocent, least of all him. Welcome to the club, brother.

I feel like there is more to say, but I don't know the words yet. I'll come back to it later.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes. And yet you both make sense to me. Go figure. I'm not saying I'll waffle every time you two disagree, just that I'm giving what you say more weight than the words of anyone else because I trust you both a lot more. So if one of you says something that runs counter to what I've been thinking, I can take it under advisement.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
So Hoppy doesn't want us to lynch another innocent, least of all him. Welcome to the club, brother.
[/QB]

Hophtrig's very pleased to welcome Doctor John to the let's not lynch an innocent Hophtrig club. When we get light again, we will reopen the Hophtrig Hidey Hole.

Hophtrig is as guilty as anyone on board for the death of Choey! Hophtrig went along with the lynch mob and saw Hophtrig's friend thrown off. If you see accusation and no self-flagellation in Hophtrig's comments, you completely misunderstand Hophtrig! Hophtrig feels horrible about the death of Choey, awful! And Hophtrig is hurt and angry Choey is gone. And boy oh boy, does Hophtrig accept blame for this outrage.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I am pleased to have achieved yet another impossibility: asking a question about a post that appears after my question post.

--------------------
Truth

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alban:
What Hophtrig sees in Zapaterietxe's axioms:

• 1. Hophtrig has adjusted Hophtrig's tactics, Hophtrig went from pushing strategy, to pushing a nomination, to hiding in the background. This was trying to deflect guilt.
  • 2. Hophtrig's been nominated every day. Hophtrig has weaseled out of all these dangers, because Hophtrig managed not to look most guilty.
  • 3. Hophtrig ditched his idee fixe, because Hophtrig's seeming vendetta against Otto made Hophtrig look guilty.
  • 4. Hophtrig is not looking hard enough for clues, but is saying Hophtrig is puzzled, instead.
Well, Hophtrig claims, in response to these points.
  • 1. Hophtrig's tactics have failed. Hophtrig postulated an idea on day one. This was shot down in flames. Hophtrig gave up on having ideas, Hophtrig doesn't like being called insane. The Otto affair similar - Hophtrig will get to that soon. Hophtrig has chosen to shut up and listen! Hophtrig is not clever enough to push his thinking.
  • 2. Occam's Razor OK, so those who look most guilty aren't necessarily the most. That said, those who have never looked most guilty (even if they have appeared guiltyish) are not necessarily guilty.
  • 3. As in point 1, Hophtrig's fixation with Otto netted Hophtrig a nomination from Hophtrig's first real friend, and meant Hophtrig missed voting for Reppik, someone now known as guilty. Hophtrig gave up trying to conclude things.
  • 4. Hophtrig is trying, really trying, to say things as Hophtrig sees them. But Hophtrig is not pushing conclusions. Hophtrig is scared. Hophtrig has got it wrong, really wrong.
Hophtrig is on the verge of giving up the fight. Hophtrig feels sad that Hophtrig has been endangered all along. Hophtrig knows Hophtrig annoys people, but Hophtrig not only doesn't want to die, but Hophtrig also doesn't want to see this bus taken over, if you let an innocent Hophtrig go, that's a real danger. Beware.

What was meant by the axioms:
"Here's what I've seen"
Here's what I see from Hophtrig:
"You want a defense you understand? Here you are."
So, thank you.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why do you think I listen to you, and pay attention when you disagree with me? You see things I don't, including my errors and where I happen to have something right. If I can listen to you, being me, John can listen to us both.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

Though Hophtrig cannot see it that well, Hophtrig has now created a fairish pile of pieces from the console. The pile is almost as tall as Hophtrig, but there still seem to be pieces to remove, so Hophtrig will continue, Hophtrig will remove all the parts he can, for Choey.
Don't worry, Hophtrig is holding, carefully, on to the button, the prize for the next person who nominates a naughty, when that naughty is thrown. Hophtrig is not getting that mixed up with the other stuff. Hophtrig hopes Hophtrig can present this prize, but if not Hophtrig then Hophtrig will choose Doctor John.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:

Why do you think I listen to you, and pay attention when you disagree with me? You see things I don't, including my errors and where I happen to have something right. If I can listen to you, being me, John can listen to us both.
Ah. I see. Thank you. My fictitious friend A. has always thought the way knowledge ought to work is that it would be best if everyone knew everything on their own, and didn't have to rely on other people. She only very recently (last week, working on Client Software Upgrade From Hell) had the thought that it's great that we all know different things and can work together as a team (*) to contribute what we know and together come up with the solution. A. has not yet fully conveyed this new idea to Ios.

It's been an intense several weeks in Fake Life time (passing in a flash in a few Dimthing days of course) for both A. and Ios. They have both been learning tons about human nature and at this point are a little shell shocked. Ios is enjoying peacefully looking at the stars. Ios tells A. that A.'s cross-country flight is during the day today, hence no stars, but that A. can imagine stars anyway and find the same peace Ios is feeling.

I'm not even sure any more if it's life imitating art or art imitating life.

(*) I italicize, not to rub the point in for you, because you seem to already understand this, but because this was the stunning core of the new idea for A., who is usually a complete loner in many ways and likes being self-sufficient. (Cue sermon (**) about how none of us are self-sufficient...)

(**). My auto-correct changed this to "demon." Glad I caught it. One could not make this stuff up (an idea that is at the top of Ios' and A.'s thoughts because in both Fake Life and Bus Life they have had MANY occasions to think this recently).

--------------------
Truth

An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the middle of the dark night, the radio flickered and switched on all of a sudden. The flickering reminded of that of a [Votive] , and the darkness seemed a little lighter, a little warmer for a brief moment or two.

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is indeed demons among us. Otto thinks that some of the careful reasoners have not been right. Who should!we listen to now? Should we listen to wrong careful reasoners? These careful reasoners have had the passengers vote for!the wrong people. Some of these careful reasoners are Bad Demons.

Otto has listened also to the FBC. The FBC says to him that intuition of the innocent Otto is worthy of Otto listening to. So Ottos says if Otto did not vote for Innocent Choey like others did how Ios suspect him now? This makes no sense Otto and the FBC can think of or intuit.

Otto intuits with the FBC, but wonders that Hophtrig is the only one who gave a score in his suggested way of changing the discussion. Started with Codine. Then next one. Is Otto's game dumb?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I had an intuitive thought to consider whether Hophtrig and Otto might both be Possessed, and when I reread the Bus Archive with that idea in mind, along with knowing the identity of the other two Naughtythings, Reppik and Ja'ayem, everything seemed very clear and all the things that had puzzled me were answered.

If one or both of Hophtrig or Otto turn out to be Innocent, it will make everything more complicated and I will be saddened and have to do more reflection on Being Nature.

I think Otto's game is good. Let me think if I can give any numbers. I don't know if Otto's game will change any of what I am trusting in for now. Otto's game could be good for other passengers. And it's a nice way to spend the time while we watch the stars and wait for whatever will happen next.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Here is a number for Otto:

Codine - 15

Ios' fictitious friend A. would like to report that she has discovered that airports and airplanes are excellent restful places for her to recover from shock, and that since A. is spending the next 13 1/2 hours in airports and airplanes, A. is looking forwards to a lovely peaceful restful day, almost as peaceful as the restful night on the bus where Ios is looking at stars with two good friends on the bus, even if they might be Possessed.

--------------------
Truth

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Otto decides to sing an old favourite:

Pursue the lost realms of night...
The last realms of fear
Nighttime has stopped...bring on the aliens!

Our love is freed from the icy tundra
And everyone wants to take the next flight out!

And he wonders if he's living or if he's dying.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

Otto's Guilt Quotient thus far:
Codine
Otto: 55
Hophtrig: 60
Ios: 15
Only a few more opinions left before we can move on to giving opinions on another of our friends.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

[Otto! You're awake and making me cross-post! What fun! Can we do Eliabulon next, after Codine?]

Ios is wondering what the tune is for Otto's song, and whether Ios can make up a tune for it. Ios has been listening to fictitious friend A. humming incessantly her new chorus warmup (*) and is feeling quite musical tonight. Fictitious friend A. is in Anaheim and enjoying the sunshine in breaks between conference talks.

Ios is admiring Otto's name, how it's the same forwards and backwards. Ios wonders if she can have a palindromic name too. It would be Iosoi. That would imply she's a numerous Greek tribe. Mwaa ha ha ha, a whole bus load of Ioses.

Oh sorry Hophtrig, didn't mean to wake you up. Go back to sleep. Otto and I will just sit here trading songs.

(*) do. do re do. do re mi re do, etc.... now high: do. do ti do. do ti la ti do, etc. Why you're welcome, I'm happy to provide this earworm. No charge. Pay it forward.

[ 06. April 2014, 18:51: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

Oh no, Hophtrig's awake and so happy to see his friend Ios (or should we call you Iosoi now?)! Oh boy, Hophtrig loves earworms! That warmup is a gorgeous earworm, Hophtrig has usually heard it sung with numbers (1, 121, 12321 etc).
Hophtrig loves singing, he would love to hear the tune Ios(oi) makes up for Otto's song!
Hophtrig thinks it is wonderful that one of the cleverest beings on board is supporting Otto's brilliant idea!

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Oops, Ios got confused, Hophtrig, and thought you were Otto. I don't think there's any way to make Ios' name as marvelously complex as Hophtrig's name. Ios' fictitious friend A. is relaying some jaunty jazz flute that she (A.) is listening to. Maybe Ios can incorporate that into the tune for Otto's song.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Episode # 1,038 in the You Couldn't Make This Stuff Up series in Ios and A.'s shared life since the Dimthing Bus Tour started:

Fictitious friend A. has just poured Pepto-Bismol in her hair by accident. But not because she mistook it for, say, shampoo. No, she was fully aware it was Pepto-Bismol.

Yes, yes, go ahead. ROTFLYAO. That's all that's left to do, it's do ridiculous. I wonder if EBLOOTIA Week ever ends, or if I have entered a time-space wrap where it's always EBLOOTIA Week?

[ 06. April 2014, 20:45: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

* so, not do
* warp, not wrap

--------------------
Truth

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

Eblootia week operates on Dimthing time, so we're only on day four, sorry Ios. And Hophtrig doesn't know if Hophtrig dares ask any further questions about the imaginary A friend, the A friend sounds a little bit nutty. Hophtrig likes that in imaginary friends, though, Hophtrig does.

[ 06. April 2014, 21:12: Message edited by: Alban ]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Otto is now singing another song.

I met them in a bus on Planet Dimthing
Where you drink Hophtrig water
and eat up raisins, and have a little dream

She walked up to Otto and asked him to dance
He asked her her name and in a mysterious voice
She said Eliabulon

Well, Otto's not the planet's most normal-looking guy
But when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine
Oh my Eliabulon

Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand
Why she walked like a good one but talked like a bad
Oh my Eliabulon, E-E-Eliabulon, E-E-Eliabulon

Well, we drank Hophtrig water and danced all night
Under holographic candlelight
She picked me up and sat me on her knee
And said, "Dear boy, won't you come home with me?"

Then Otto woke up and told the FBC all about it. Then FBC said that dreams are little bits of fluff that blew into your head by mistake, but even though this is what dreams are made of, they can give you clues to what your brainses are thinking by either directly giving you information or thematically telling you something.

Otto thinks the dream and song are telling him that the Grafinn is beautiful and dangerous. He is rating Eliabulon at 60. He is also rating Hophtrig at 65. Because while Hophtrig is amusing, he is not beautiful.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Otto notes that pepto is both minty and pink. What could be more oddly delightful?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

(Note the pot stirring, and the attempt to cast suspicion on an assumed innocent. Classic move, that.)

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Please tell Otto how it is that the Grafinn is presumed innocent? Given the bus passengers' recent failure to evict a bad one, Otto finds that comment a little odd. Otto believes he has to be careful whom to believe. Very careful.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

Hophtrig will have to side with Otto on that one. Even though Hophtrig is not one of the beautiful beings, Hophtrig agrees that assumptions are dangerous things.
Doctor John is the doctor, that we believe. Zapaterietxe the unreadable, that is plausible. But apart from those, the only proof any have offered are their actions. Hophtrig is friends with everyone on this bus, but Hophtrig doesn't trust many of his friends all the way.
In any case, the proposal to discuss the Graffin was not Otto's proposal, the proposal came from Ios, who was willing to attempt Otto's rating idea, an idea which Hophtrig likes, too.
Hophtrig says, the Graffin talks a lot, is rather clever, but could well be hiding danger under the cloak of that intelligence. Hophtrig will give the Graffin a score of 56 - not quite so mysterious, thus not quite so untrustworthy as Codine, but beyond the 50 percent threshhold.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I'm with Otto and Hophtrig on this. And I did suggest Eliabulon because that's who I wanted to hear about next. I'm a little bit suspicious of everyone except myself:

Hophtrig - 85
Otto - 85
Codine - 15
Eliabulon - wavering 5 to 14, depending how nervous I'm feeling
Zapaterietxe - 2
John - 1
Ios - 0

If Choey were still on board, I would have given her a perfectly divided 50.

I might change my mind about all of this tomorrow, once we know who, if anyone, has been murdered overnight, and once the recriminations and nominations start flying. Or I might not.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Otto notes that pepto is both minty and pink. What could be more oddly delightful?

Imodium is minty and green, and might have made an oddly delightful contrast to the pink hair an hour later, except A. did not do the following with the Imodium:

• Hold bottle in left hand, dosage cup in right hand, fill dosage cup
  • Drink from dosage cup
  • Tilt head back to drain dosage cup fully from right hand, while holding hair out of eyes with left hand

Nope, A. learned from experience and added one tiny extra step:

• Hold bottle in left hand, dosage cup in right hand, fill dosage cup
  • Put bottle down
  • Drink from dosage cup
  • Tilt head back to drain dosage cup fully from right hand, while holding hair out of eyes with left hand

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
(Note the pot stirring, and the attempt to cast suspicion on an assumed innocent. Classic move, that.)

John, what do you see as pot-stirring?

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Alban:
Eblootia week operates on Dimthing time, so we're only on day four, sorry Ios. And Hophtrig doesn't know if Hophtrig dares ask any further questions about the imaginary A friend, the A friend sounds a little bit nutty. Hophtrig likes that in imaginary friends, though, Hophtrig does.

Imaginary friend A. is a lot like Ios. Serious, thoughtful, and logical, or playful, silly, and giddy, depending on the phase of the moon. A. likes to dance Argentine tango and play the piano, neither of which Ios has had much chance to do on this bus tour. Ios and A. both like the front seats of buses best. Ios is thinking she might enjoy coming on a future bus tour and seeing what it might be like to pretend to be someone entirely unlike A.

--------------------
Truth

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

Hophtrig susects, no matter how much she may try, Ios's imaginary friend A might sneak in to any being Ios chose to inhabit. Hophtrig only slightly resembles Hophtrig's imaginary friend Alban, but that slight resemblance is there. Alban is certainly less outgoing than Hophtrig, and somewhat less exhuberant - the nuttiness is definitely shared. As is a certain symbiosis, Alban is surprised how keenly Alban feels the things that Hophtrig does and the relationships that Hophtrig forms.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dimthing Tours announce that nobody has died in the night. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Nominations please.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Well! We apologize for the convenience indeed! I think we've bought ourselves an extra day—and have found someone who can, at last, outwit the Possessed. Given that we have a pool of 3, 2 of whom are guilty…well, assuming we've narrowed down our pool properly, at least some of us are going home. We can afford to guess wrong today, and, given that we'll be perfectly right the next two days, will triumph over the Possessed.

…of course, I'd rather we didn't make any more errors. Would someone else care to lead off today, please?

--------------------

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

Hophtrig wishes to extend his strongest congratulations to Doctor John. Hophtrig is proud to be in the company of one who is doing such an effective job.
Hophtrig will be seriously considering nominations and votes John may make, unless of course he chooses Hophtrig, in which case Hophtrig will rail against the terrible mistake made.
As a member of the "group of 3", Hophtrig is less than happy with this group, the chosen members thereof and the process of choosing them.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Ios is dreaming that she is staying with her imaginary friend A. in hotel room 610. A. calls the front desk to arrange a wake-up call at 6:30 am. The clerk confirms by saying "six thirty, six ten". Ios hopes that the occupant of room 630 is not ushered into the madcap crowd celebrating EBLOOTIA week, with an unrequested wake-up call at 6:10 am.

Ios wakes up suddenly. How strange, and how wonderful. Everyone is alive.

Ios envies A., who is peacefully reading a book. Ios goes in search of a previous list of passengers. She has thought of a minor improvement to add.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Ios, in her sleepy just-awaken state, cross-posted.

Hophtrig, who else would you have us consider? And why?

Zapaterietxe, by your group of three, do you mean Hophtrig, Otto, and Codine?

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Here is the revised list of Nice/Naughty in light of recent events:

Confirmed Innocent by Dafyd

Crimson (la vie en rouge) - INNOCENT, INSPECTOR, DEAD BY MURDER (Night One)

Lesley (Kelly Alves) - INNOCENT, DEAD BY REAL LYFE (Day Two)

Her Eminence, the Lady Celandine Diamante De Cooperhoop / Lucy (Starbug) - INNOCENT, DETECTIVE, DEAD BY MURDER (Night Two)

Joostein Käse (JFH) - INNOCENT, DEAD BY LYNCHING (Day Three)

Daisy (Surfing Madness) - INNOCENT, DEAD BY MURDER (Night Three)

No one is murdered (Night Four)

Cho Bacca Loriette (Banner Lady) - INNOCENT, DEAD BY LYNCHING (Day Five)

No one is murdered (Night Five)

Believed Innocent by Unchallenged Role Claim

John (Barefoot Friar) - INNOCENT, DOCTOR

Zapaterietxe (Ariston) - INNOCENT, UNREADABLE

I know I'm Innocent

Ios (Autenrieth Road)

Unknown. Hunting here for two Possessed Naughtythings (listed in reverse alphabetical order)

Otto von Biggleswarpski (no prophet)

Hophtrig (Alban)

Grafinn Ekatarina Eliabulon (Eliab)

Codine (Gwai)

Confirmed Guilfy by Dafyd

Reppik Tew (Wet Kipper) - POSSESSED, UNREADABLE, DEAD BY LYNCHING (Day Two)

Ja'ayem (Jay-Emm) - SYMPATHISER, DEAD BY LYNCHING (Day Four)

--------------------
Truth

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

Hophtrig, for all the Hophtrig condemnation Hophtrig did earlier, does not like Hophtrig in the group. Hophtrig can understand how the Graffin, Ios and Zapaterietxe got left out of the group. They're smart, erudite and well spoken. Codine is, possibly by dint of responsibilities to His master (be that the master named Gwai or the unnamed master) clever, but too quiet to read the motives of.
Hophtrig feels like Hophtrig, Choey and Otto wound up in this group because they are not very clever beings. Whether Otto, Hophtrig and Choey not offering the sort of initiative or analysis which would save Choey, Otto and Hophtrig's hides is a product of devious minds trying to keep others in the dark, or of simple minds doing the best they can is a very important question to ask about Otto and Hophtrig. We already have our answer about Choey.
Yes, this may be seen as Hophtrig trying to deflect an uncomfortable focus, but Hophtrig's doing so seems equally likely for an innocent or a guilty Hophtrig.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Otto notes that there is a group of 4. Otto knows he is innocent. Otto thinks all bets are off, both because the group has been awful at voting rightly, and because the FBC told him so.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Otto, are you adding Eliabulon to the group of three, to make the group of four?

[Oops, sorry, I'm a dolt. Otto, what is your group of four?]

I have looked at the numbers of Innocent and Possessed left in the bus. By my calculations, we can afford one wrong vote in the next two votes, and another wrong vote after the next two votes, and still win,

If both of our next two votes are wrong, then we will probably lose.

I find this very interesting: that the order of when two wrong votes happen can determine whether we win or lose.

[ 07. April 2014, 13:45: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I would like to hear Codine's thinking at this point.

--------------------
Truth

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Codine smiled, perhaps heartened by the recent success. "Besides that our doctor is clearly on the ball?

I think there is some logic in seeing Hophtrig and Otto as a team, but there's not nearly enough to go on.

My master is calling me, but I will try to write a more detailed post soon.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  32  33  34 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016