homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Fall 2013 (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Fall 2013
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
I watched Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker and Peter Davison re-generate and did not expect any of them.

I remember Colin Baker being introduced on Blue Peter before Peter Davison regenerated. Sylvester McCoy was also introduced on Blue Peter before his first appearance.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
...I've never really seen a romance element in Clara and Matt Smith's Doctor, they appear purely platonic to me. She tells her parents he's her boyfriend to get them off her back, she asks him to do it as a friend. Hence her so shocked by his nakedness. It's one of the things I like about Clara, I see her as a return to the traditional companion.

She admitted to staying around because she secretly fancied him (I think that was the phrase) when they first encountered people in Christmas.

[ 31. December 2013, 00:12: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:
...I've never really seen a romance element in Clara and Matt Smith's Doctor, they appear purely platonic to me. She tells her parents he's her boyfriend to get them off her back, she asks him to do it as a friend. Hence her so shocked by his nakedness. It's one of the things I like about Clara, I see her as a return to the traditional companion.

She admitted to staying around because she secretly fancied him (I think that was the phrase) when they first encountered people in Christmas.
I hadn't noticed that. Well, I guess/I'm hoping that will be nipped in the bud by the new Doctor.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone know if "The Five(ish) Doctors" is going to come out on DVD? It would be great if it is, but it hasn't even been on main TV yet, as far as I know.

And now to revert to my normal ming-mong carping. I'm also getting a little bored with the "golden shower" regenerations. And did anyone else notice that the Doctor lied while in the truth field? Once when the little boy asks him if he has a plan, the Doctor says yes, and then turns to Clara and admits he hasn't. And possibly again when he promises Clara he won't send her away again just before he does.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
And did anyone else notice that the Doctor lied while in the truth field? Once when the little boy asks him if he has a plan, the Doctor says yes, and then turns to Clara and admits he hasn't. And possibly again when he promises Clara he won't send her away again just before he does.

On the second one, I think he and Clara were in the TARDIS and it had already arrived at her home--so they were no longer in the truth field. And, technically, he didn't "send" her away: he ran away from her.

But, yes, I wondered the same thing about the "plan" comment. It did seem to be a direct fib. The only (lame) explanation I can come up with is that he then designates as a "plan" the concept of showing up, hoping for the best and taking credit. So he had a "plan"--it was the non-plan plan.

Please note that I already admitted that that is lame. I will cheerfully accept better explanations.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just watched it again. Still a few things to dislike (mainly the naked bits) and a lot of things to love.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
And did anyone else notice that the Doctor lied while in the truth field? Once when the little boy asks him if he has a plan, the Doctor says yes, and then turns to Clara and admits he hasn't. And possibly again when he promises Clara he won't send her away again just before he does.

On the second one, I think he and Clara were in the TARDIS and it had already arrived at her home--so they were no longer in the truth field. And, technically, he didn't "send" her away: he ran away from her.

But, yes, I wondered the same thing about the "plan" comment. It did seem to be a direct fib. The only (lame) explanation I can come up with is that he then designates as a "plan" the concept of showing up, hoping for the best and taking credit. So he had a "plan"--it was the non-plan plan.

Please note that I already admitted that that is lame. I will cheerfully accept better explanations.

Re the sending away bit I noted the 'again' particularly and took it to be a way of answering truly about the future rather than the immediate act but ambigious enough to reassure her then.

Another vote for the disappointment party. It was as if all resources, ideas and plots went into the anniversary piece and Christmas was cold turkey and stuffing.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Does anyone know if "The Five(ish) Doctors" is going to come out on DVD? It would be great if it is, but it hasn't even been on main TV yet, as far as I know.

I'm keeping an eye on that as I want a copy myself but so far haven't found any indications that a DVD might happen. I've tried playing the iPlayer link meanwhile, but for whatever reason, I can't get any picture, only the sound, like listening to it on radio.

I get the impression this one is being played down in case it overshadows the Anniversary Special - possibly because it's funnier and better put together. But who knows, maybe they'll put both on a DVD at some point, which would be great.

[ 01. January 2014, 06:15: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
The Cyberman-head dying scene wasn't emotional for me, I mean, he had only appeared that episode and I can't get too emotionally attached to a Cyberman part.

For the poor old Cyberman himself, I agree, though I would have kind of liked to see a bit more of him. It was the Doctor's reaction that got me - trying to make him 'comfortable', and fighting back tears as he finally 'died' - as if it was making him fully realise his aloneness.

Re-watching yesterday, the exchange immediately after that leapt out at me:-
'Why did you send me away?'
'Because if I hadn't I would have buried you a long time ago.'
In that context, following immediately from the loss of a sort-of 'companion', and with the sunset in the background, somehow all the centuries of loneliness and loss were in those few words - reminiscent of Nine's 'You can spend the rest of your life with me, but I can't spend the rest of my life with you'.

Who wants to live forever? (Well, despite all that, apparently he does, as he seems delighted to have a new set of regenerations)

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

I'm keeping an eye on that as I want a copy myself but so far haven't found any indications that a DVD might happen. I've tried playing the iPlayer link meanwhile, but for whatever reason, I can't get any picture, only the sound, like listening to it on radio.

I get the impression this one is being played down in case it overshadows the Anniversary Special - possibly because it's funnier and better put together. But who knows, maybe they'll put both on a DVD at some point, which would be great.

I was able to watch it using the link helpfully provided a little further up on this thread. I really wish they would put out a DVD with all the anniversary material on it, including this, but it seems unlikely.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Trudy. That link doesn't work for me either: just sound, no picture and no option to choose "lower bandwidth". Hopefully they'll bring out a DVD one of these days.
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just watched the regeneration scene. It was when the Doctor threw his bowtie on the floor that set me off.

It's a good thing that Capaldi's kept his accent for the Doctor.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Just watched the regeneration scene. It was when the Doctor threw his bowtie on the floor that set me off.

Yes. [Frown]
And I was just starting to recover when someone pointed me to this . (From about 7:30 - warning, may induce [Waterworks] )

It's a good thing that Capaldi's kept his accent for the Doctor.

Yes again.

[ 04. January 2014, 16:57: Message edited by: Stumbling Pilgrim ]

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The episode was a bit disappointing. To long and not as tight as they normally are. I agree it is great that Peter C kept his accent.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

What accent? I didn't notice one.
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very slightly Scottish.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Haha! Thanks to Kelly Alves and her BBC America on demand, I'm caught up with the episodes now and can join this thread! First, I must go back and read it... [Yipee]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just been watching Death comes to Pemberley, and am impressed with Jenna-Louise Coleman as Lydia. I hope they use her range more in Dr Who.
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I've just been watching Death comes to Pemberley, and am impressed with Jenna-Louise Coleman as Lydia. I hope they use her range more in Dr Who.

Re-watch The Snowmen. She's excellent in that. But she's been given absolutely terrible scripts in the series - they've been slotting her into Generic Female Companion and not giving Clara a personality.

As for the Christmas Special, to borrow from a friend it was an experiment to see what happened when you combined a literal plot hole (the Crack) with a literal Deus Ex Machina (the Papal Mainframe).

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
As for the Christmas Special, to borrow from a friend it was an experiment to see what happened when you combined a literal plot hole (the Crack) with a literal Deus Ex Machina (the Papal Mainframe).

I would have thought that the Mainframe was more deus IN machina ? [Two face] Usually it is the Doctor who appears, god-like, out of his machina...

Daughter and I have been worried by the lack of teeth in Clara's lines through the last series - the whole 'Impossible Girl' strand tended to leave her as a question not an answer. She had a better role in the anniversary episode, and was a contrast to Billie Piper's 'not-Rose' character. Let's see where the next episodes, many months hence, take us.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
Daughter and I have been worried by the lack of teeth in Clara's lines...

Thank you for that delightful turn of phrase. [Big Grin] The mental image here of a toothless young actress phtruggling to pronounth her lineth ith one that will thay with me for a while now...
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
Daughter and I have been worried by the lack of teeth in Clara's lines...

Thank you for that delightful turn of phrase. [Big Grin] The mental image here of a toothless young actress phtruggling to pronounth her lineth ith one that will thay with me for a while now...
Thorry, mutht hath been the vithit to the dentitht latht week!
[Big Grin] <- with teeth

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We suffered the same as Tubbs, with the recording ending just as he was about to regenerate - must have been running late. That means I haven't watched it through again, as I didn't have a complete recording, and didn't want to have to hop over to iPlayer for the last couple of minutes. So my thoughts are all first impressions, albeit filtered through a long period of rumination.

First, the plot - this is probably heresy, but I actually thought it worked well. It tied up multiple loose ends which had been left dangling over the last few years, and managed to be more or less coherent. Letting Matt Smith get rapidly older was the perfect farewell to a brilliant actor, and he more than did it justice. The Truth Field was a fairly clunky way of forcing The Doctor to stay there for so long, but it all fitted quite well, and the massed baddies were much less egregious than I'd been expecting. I can't believe Moffat had this in mind back when he first introduced the crack, but it stood up pretty well.

That's the good, now the bad - is it too much to ask that we could occasionally have a Christmas special that doesn't revolve around some ridiculous Victorian snow-covered cliche of Christmas? When they're even calling the fucking town Christmas, it's time to put down the Dickens and step away slowly. And please, no more mawkish, self-indulgent regenerations - "not as long as Tennant's" is up there with "not as evil as Hitler" on the scale of damnation with faint praise. If you're going, have the decency to die quickly, rather than poisoning my final memory of the character with cloying, excessive sentimentality.

And the ugly - yes, it's the stupid turkey and nudity thing again. I know it's silly "for the kiddies" material, but it was gratingly and gratuitously stupid, and gave the impression that Clara is a total airhead without even the most basic cookery skills (or even the sense to ask someone else) and the Doctor ought to be interviewed as part of Operation Yewtree. Down with this sort of thing!

But the thing that really grated is this - if the regeneration limit is now firmly established as canon, and if 11/12/13/Smith's Doctor* knew that he was on his last turn, as he clearly did, the sweet little chat between him and Not-4 at the end of the anniversary special makes no sense. Not-4 was dropping hints that he was a future regeneration as authority to tell him what to do, so how did Smith think that regeneration was going to happen? Why not comment on that at any point? And why did Not-4 tell him (or rather, pointedly not tell him) to find the Time Lords if that was the one thing he absolutely must not do on this occasion? I enjoyed it very much at the time, but it's tarnished by this unambiguous demonstration that it was just nonsensical fanservice.

I'm interested and slightly concerned by Capaldi's brief appearance, and especially his implied threat to steal Clara's kidneys if his own hadn't started working. I was put in mind of Baker(C), so I do hope someone knows what they're doing. Please don't make the Doctor into a total git.

* - I vote for maintaining the historic numbering, with Hurt classified as either 8a or X, and a grudging acknowledgement that Tennant was both 10 and 10a thanks to handwavy jiggerypokery.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
I can't believe Moffat had this in mind back when he first introduced the crack, but it stood up pretty well.

I just started re-watching Matt Smith's run, and I think it is pretty clear that the point of the crack altered over (ahem) time. It was in Amelia's bedroom, announcing "Prisoner Zero has escaped"--apparently through the crack. And on the other side of the crack was the Big Eyeball aliens.

Then the crack became the universal memory-wiper, so that people who fell into it were forgotten. Oh, and then we found a blown up bit of the TARDIS even though nobody seems to have forgotten the TARDIS. So "the other side" of the crack was no fixed point. It either took you to NeverNeverLand, or you could reach through time to when the TARDIS exploded.

And then we learned that the cracks were because the TARDIS went kablooey.

So was the Gallifrey crack the same crack or just happened (coincidentally) to look like it? Gallifrey clearly was NOT on the other side calling for assistance when we first saw the crack--the Big Eyeballs were. And the Doctor was near enough to it many times to listen to it and did not get any distress call.

So I am going with the theory that it is just "another crack" that Gallifrey is behind and not the same crack.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
I can't believe Moffat had this in mind back when he first introduced the crack, but it stood up pretty well.

I just started re-watching Matt Smith's run, and I think it is pretty clear that the point of the crack altered over (ahem) time. It was in Amelia's bedroom, announcing "Prisoner Zero has escaped"--apparently through the crack. And on the other side of the crack was the Big Eyeball aliens.
Yes, it would take a monumental stretch to believe that this had anything to do with how it was eventually explained.
quote:
So I am going with the theory that it is just "another crack" that Gallifrey is behind and not the same crack.
But I'm not having this, saving some clever wordplay about how Moffat imagined them as serving different purposes. In story, the crack is quite clearly the same, because it has the exact same shape, a distinctive shape which has already been held up as evidence that the different cracks ever since the first Prisoner Zero thing have been manifestations of the same rift in space/time.

The Time Lords weren't shouting through that rift, true, but that was then and there. In fact, at that point they possibly hadn't been locked in their pocket universe, depending on how you untangle the mess of timelines. The crack is both specific to location and time, and also throughout the whole of reality, so I can allow a lot of flexibility in when and where that all happens. IIRC, they found that one crack which opened up in Christmas, Trenzalore, and just stuck there for hundreds of years, waiting for an answer.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:

The Doctor explained this in Time of the Doctor. The TARDIS blew up the universe creating all the cracks in space and time. (The cracks are like wormholes without walls - so it's possible to travel from one crack to another, but you're more likely to fall out the middle.) Then later on the Time Lords looking for a weak spot in the wall of the universe found a left-over crack and tried to come through the left-over crack.
Then Madame Kovarian decided to stop the Doctor getting to Trenzalore and went back in time to blow up the TARDIS, creating the cracks in the first place. She was trying to change her own history so creating an ontological paradox was especially likely.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

<Hedgehog thumps forehead with palm of hand>

Oh, of course! How could I have missed that?!?!

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm interested and slightly concerned by Capaldi's brief appearance, and especially his implied threat to steal Clara's kidneys if his own hadn't started working. I was put in mind of Baker(C), so I do hope someone knows what they're doing. Please don't make the Doctor into a total git.

Baker(C) may have lacked the humour of Baker (T) but he was far from a Git. Bad writing and bad companions were his downfall. Without those elements we could have a very good, but serious, Doctor. But knowing how good Capaldi (P) is at comedy, I doubt he will be too serious.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

Baker(C) may have lacked the humour of Baker (T) but he was far from a Git. Bad writing and bad companions were his downfall. Without those elements we could have a very good, but serious, Doctor. But knowing how good Capaldi (P) is at comedy, I doubt he will be too serious.
If you're a fan of the Big Finish audios then you do get to see how the character of the sixth doctor develops. There's a reason old sixie was voted the favourite audio doctor.

(No, not because it means you don't have to see his coat!)

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Several people, myself included, have been saying that it's time for Moff to go, and that maybe Gatiss should take over from him. On that line, did anyone else see the MR James' ghost story that Gatiss directed, on Christmas Day? It turns out to be his first stab at direction (which means he is unlikely to get such a high profile as Who) and I didn't think it was terribly good (which makes me hope he won't get Who). The documentary afterwards about James was much better.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I may be wrong, but it looks like we now have a photo of the Capaldi Doctor in costume(scroll down to the second Dec. 7 entry).

Well, it is either that, or Capaldi REALLY gets dressed up for rehearsals.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I may be wrong, but it looks like we now have a photo of the Capaldi Doctor in costume(scroll down to the second Dec. 7 entry).

He is looking rather dapper. I wouldn't mind that coat myself.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

He is looking rather dapper. I wouldn't mind that coat myself.
Ooh ... I so hate to do this ... but isn't that the Eleventh Doctor's costume, which Twelve is presumably still wearing post-regeneration?

Sorry, really sorry ... but it does mean we can expect pics of the new costume any day now.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Ooh ... I so hate to do this ... but isn't that the Eleventh Doctor's costume, which Twelve is presumably still wearing post-regeneration?

That's what I thought. Matt Smith ran round Eleventh Hour in Tennant's suit frayed at the edges.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

Sorry, really sorry ... but it does mean we can expect pics of the new costume any day now.

Geez. My biorhythms must be at an all-time low. I believe you are right and I should have caught that. Pity, really, because that is a good look for him.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Pity, really, because that is a good look for him.

Better than on Matt Smith's Doctor, who I think should have stayed in the tweed suit.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Pity, really, because that is a good look for him.

Better than on Matt Smith's Doctor, who I think should have stayed in the tweed suit.
Yes, I agree with both of you. I thought it was similar to Matt Smith's styling but hadn't twigged it was the same suit. I prefer the tweed jacket on him.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The BBC (quoted in the Guardian) said that that is not costume.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

They mean that's what Peter Capaldi normally wears?
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Several people, myself included, have been saying that it's time for Moff to go, and that maybe Gatiss should take over from him. On that line, did anyone else see the MR James' ghost story that Gatiss directed, on Christmas Day? It turns out to be his first stab at direction (which means he is unlikely to get such a high profile as Who) and I didn't think it was terribly good (which makes me hope he won't get Who). The documentary afterwards about James was much better.

Yes I did see it. I thought it was OK, but without knowing the original story, I have no idea how well he did from that starting point. But it was underwhelming, given how much the Radio Times had plugged it.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do love that Clara is wearing a jumper with lots of bow ties on it though.... cool!

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
The BBC (quoted in the Guardian) said that that is not costume.

The BBC, as quoted in the Guardian, said that's not the Doctor's new costume. My italics.

How is that not the costume the Doctor was wearing when Smith regenerated into Capaldi? Jenna-Louise Coleman is wearing in the photo what Clara was wearing in that scene.

[ 08. January 2014, 19:55: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone heard a rumour that the Master may be back played by Charles Dance?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
How is that not the costume the Doctor was wearing when Smith regenerated into Capaldi? Jenna-Louise Coleman is wearing in the photo what Clara was wearing in that scene.

An unexplored side effect of regeneration is that the regeneratee's clothes also change shape to match the new body perfectly. Except for rings (cf. Hartnell -> Troughton).
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

I have now.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

for one insane moment I thought that read "the Master may be back played by Charlie Drake" [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me] not so much 'Hello sweetie' then...

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

No, just "Hello my darlings..."
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

I have now.
That would be amazing.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think there's much in it. It was a fan speculation back in November that people seem to think has some truth in it.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016